Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

Ron doesn't have contempt for soaps. The problem is that Ron has contempt for anyone who doesn't see that he is the way and the truth for the future of soaps, and contempt for the building blocks of the soap storytelling he grew up with.

Frank has his blind spots, but he didn't try to sign every nice person he met or cute guy that came through the door to a contract, which Gary did at OLTL when he was EP. Nor have his various positions at DAYS left me brimming with confidence.

That's how I've felt about much of his tenure at OLTL and GH since about 2007, to be honest, although I do realize it was worse with Tomlin (even if that gave us Teddy Sears [and some awful stories that wasted him...]).

Who Killed Franco, Who Killed Nina, Who Killed Silas, Who Killed Half The Cast, I'm not picky.

it can't be Who Killed Silas, none of the rest of the characters know who the hell that is even, and that was even before he went on his three month trip to NYC to make sure Ava is putting the lotion back in the basket.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 9

I mean, a longer discussion of Gary Tomlin's tenure at OL is wildly OT, but I did always love how he said every random actor, from Ty Treadway to Erika Page, was "irreplaceable" and could never be recast. There was also the cementing of the Alderson family dynasty during his time, which ultimately brought us Kiki Jerome (see? On topic!). Very nice man, but I just never thought he was capable for what any show other than dirt-poor DAYS needs right now. Not that GH is looking like a million bucks either - witness the barn spaces we're holding the Nurses Balls in - but it doesn't have the issues DAYS does. Frank is stretching every dollar at GH and making at least some of it work, but they'd have even more dollars if they'd cut people like Howarth, Stafford, Easton, etc.

his three month trip to NYC to make sure Ava is putting the lotion back in the basket.

Thank you for this.

• Love 4

I do wonder why they didn't sign Wally to a deal, as he's been used for a good while now, and not just popping up randomly, like poor Lynn Herring (when was she last on?). I had assumed they really saw him as part of the canvas. 

• Love 4

I do wonder why they didn't sign Wally to a deal, as he's been used for a good while now, and not just popping up randomly, like poor Lynn Herring (when was she last on?). I had assumed they really saw him as part of the canvas. 

Lynn was on a week or two ago with Duke to briefly stir the embers of their non-romance non-story. Lucy also started to push the new Nurses Ball and got Sabrina aboard. They use Ned and Bobbie pretty regularly at the moment, actually, and have started getting Scott back into the rotation as well (for Franco, of course), but Lucy had a major drop in recurring corps airtime for awhile. She's still part of the regular firmament but she has not had Wally or Jackie's airtime, which is not something I ever thought I'd be saying about either of them again.

I think she'll be back on more soon, but the real problem is they never sign any of these people to a contract and make a commitment. They'd rather blow the cash on their new pets, which is why they lose people like Wally or Tristan Rogers who are looking for steady employment, or in the case of Jon Lindstrom, new opportunities.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 4

I think so, but I think they also saw him as someone who really had no chance of getting a steady gig elsewhere. No need to give a contract to someone they don't think they absolutely need to nail down.

• Love 5

I think so, but I think they also saw him as someone who really had no chance of getting a steady gig elsewhere. No need to give a contract to someone they don't think they absolutely need to nail down.

That's their (and some of their defenders in the press) unspoken attitude about all these vets, yeah, which is what really infuriates me. Especially when they cop an attitude when these people (Lindstrom, Rogers, etc.) actually get other jobs. They want them to be on call and without other work.

• Love 5

This was pretty stupid of them.  It wasn't any secret that WK had a continuing relationship with DAYS and was continuing to play on both shows -- this couldn't have come as a complete shock.  If they honestly had any long-term plans for Ned (and who knows whether they did or didn't, although I'm sure Ron will claim he did on Twitter), they should have taken the preemptive measure and signed him on.  Just like with TR, they gambled and they lost.  I'll miss Wally/Ned.  The character nicely fills a void on the canvas (man of a particular age range who is generally a good guy and not mob scum).

• Love 6

Lynn was on a week or two ago with Duke to briefly stir the embers of their non-romance non-story. Lucy also started to push the new Nurses Ball and got Sabrina aboard. They use Ned and Bobbie pretty regularly at the moment, actually, and have started getting Scott back into the rotation as well (for Franco, of course), but Lucy had a major drop in recurring corps airtime for awhile. She's still part of the regular firmament but she has not had Wally or Jackie's airtime, which is not something I ever thought I'd be saying about either of them again.

I think she'll be back on more soon, but the real problem is they never sign any of these people to a contract and make a commitment. They'd rather blow the cash on their new pets, which is why they lose people like Wally or Tristan Rogers who are looking for steady employment, or in the case of Jon Lindstrom, new opportunities.

I do wonder what there going to do with lucy though now obviously she will have stuff for the NB but other than that I don't know they don't seem that interested in bringing serena on which is probally a good thing no telling how RC would write her and if they did bring her on it would probally be for francos benefit lol.

They always do this. They assume no one can or will go anywhere else because they're the only game in town, or the "best," then they're shocked when things go sideways. They did it at OLTL with much bigger fish and younger stars, so maybe they thought GH's older vets wouldn't be the same, but still. They also gambled with Steve Burton when he left - thought he would take a Kimberly McCullough sort of deal and keep coming back to service Ron's next big story for Jason and A.J. But Steve's ego is even bigger than Ron's.

• Love 6

I'll miss Wally Kurth. For Jasus sake, he was on another show. Wtf, Ron. I can't even. Of course you should have signed him. Unless he chose Days. Maybe Days gave him a better contract? There was a BI about a soap wanting an actor to sign, but the actor thought the show would use him like it did other vets.

Days gave him a contract. GH had him on recurring, as did Days, so he was appearing on both. They were willing to commit, and I can't fault the man for going somewhere that offered some type of job security. 

• Love 5
popping up randomly, like poor Lynn Herring (when was she last on?)

She'll be on more when it's closer in time to the NB.

That's their (and some of their defenders in the press) unspoken attitude about all these vets, yeah, which is what really infuriates me. Especially when they cop an attitude when these people (Lindstrom, Rogers, etc.) actually get other jobs. They want them to be on call and without other work.

It's so dumb. Just because network soaps are on life support doesn't mean the rest of TV is.

• Love 2

I'm a bit worried about Lucy/Lynn Herring, with

Ian Buchanan supposedly on his way out

.  I don't want her reduced to appearing once a year at the Nurses' Ball, like Milo and Piph.

Edited by TeeVee329

Is this the wrong time/place to suggest James DePaiva as Ned? No? Alright, just doing my regular fangirl representation. Carry on...

If the show wasn't the steaming pile of dog shit it is at the moment, I'd love this. I LOVED JDP on OLTL. 

Edited by Box305
  • Love 1

I'd rather have a head writer who likes the actors and thinks them irreplaceable than a petty little fucker who throws tantrums when actors (and fans) don't agree with his extremely limited vision, though.  DAYS definitely has its problems, but I prefer it to GH by a factor of about 10,000.  Now whether I'll still feel that way after Higley's work shows up, I don't know.  But I absolutely loathe what Ron and Frank have done to GH and think Ron at the very least needs to be replaced.  That probably won't happen, so if GH ends up getting cancelled I won't care.  My show was never coming back anyway.

• Love 5

.  I don't want her reduced to appearing once a year at the Nurses' Ball, like Milo and Piph.

Not to be a smartass, but how would one tell the difference? Lynn Herring is barely an afterthought now, whether Duke is in scenes with her or not.

• Love 2

I have to admit I am too.

Not to be a smartass, but how would one tell the difference? Lynn Herring is barely an afterthought now, whether Duke is in scenes with her or not.

My point was more that her airtime has been trending downward for a while and

Duke's exit

might be the breaking point where she goes from barely there to not there at all, you know?

Well, damn. Ned was the only Quartermaine I actually liked. (UO: I think the rest of them suck ass.) But Ned was not smug, or annoying like the others. So of course he's the one to go. This still isn't going to save them money even with

Duke's exit

since they're recurring.

At this point, I'm only interested in how it affects Olivia. Will they recast? Or will they do a Liv/Julian/Alexis triangle? I've rediscovered some fondness for Liv since she escaped Scummy's grasp.

• Love 2

What did you do? ;)

Oh, no, I'm not on Twitter. I was making a rather adroit joke about Wally Kurth being blocked after announcing his departure (he hasn't been, probably, yet).

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 1

Glad Wally has a contract job, though its too bad its not here. I'm not sure though Ned this Q character with the current storylines and everything are important enough to recast; it's not like he's Kiki or anything.

ETA: FRANK took him? Like as in just them two went? ...I don't know what to do with this information. Seriously.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 3

I mean, I assume the kid's mom went too.  Digging a little further, I guess NB covered the awards for Extra (!!!!), but still...

ETA...OMG AND THEN I FOUND THIS

Nicolas J.Bechtel @NicolasJBechtel  ·  Mar 28
This is HOW MUCH fun we had at the Kids Choice Awards @KidsChoiceNick @valentinifrank GOOD TIMES

CBPE1VgUQAAtNh6.jpg

Edited by TeeVee329

I don't think there's anything inappropriate to it, really. I do find it weird that the man has a Vimeo account full of nothing but Nicolas Bechtel vids from the set, but I mean, they (and other PTB) were just as enamored of Kristen Alderson years ago at OLTL. I think Bechtel is just the new model adopted kid pet. It's annoying, but it's not anything untoward.

• Love 5

I mean, a longer discussion of Gary Tomlin's tenure at OL is wildly OT, but I did always love how he said every random actor, from Ty Treadway to Erika Page, was "irreplaceable" and could never be recast. There was also the cementing of the Alderson family dynasty during his time, which ultimately brought us Kiki Jerome (see? On topic!). Very nice man, but I just never thought he was capable for what any show other than dirt-poor DAYS needs right now. Not that GH is looking like a million bucks either - witness the barn spaces we're holding the Nurses Balls in - but it doesn't have the issues DAYS does. Frank is stretching every dollar at GH and making at least some of it work, but they'd have even more dollars if they'd cut people like Howarth, Stafford, Easton, etc.

Thank you for this.

TIIC don't care who they hire. They keep bringing on everyone hoping it will bring some new viewers. Wally is Ned. he has been for years The show is already OLTL 2. they could use a biiigg sunarmi. If TG is going for real hooray. think of the money they could build a whole town. They destroyed the nurses ball. I can barely watch any more. Re-Ron is a hack. and Frank is his enabler. Even Michael finally being a Q  has been ruined by their killing AJ , especially by Scummy. I am not angry about the way the show is going, to get angry you have to care and I don't care.

Edited by testardo

Oh agreed, jsbt.  The juxtaposition of going to Ron's Twitter to find out if he had commented on the exit of an actor who plays a legacy character who's been with the show on and off for a long time and seeing more odes to the awesomeness of "Generally Spencer" star Nicolas Bechtel just struck me. 

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 4

For those speccing that Billy Miller is on his way out bc he's auditioning and obvs wants to do other things, take a quick listen (it's toward the end of the clip) to JT's answer on if JT is going to be on GH for years to come. Let's just say the answer wasn't "YES!"

Edited by HeatLifer

Which is stupid as hell. I mean, I hate Jason Morgan, but if you're going to recast a role so long held by someone else and actually try to tell a story (ha! I slay me here!), then for God's sake, hire an actor that won't have a foot out the door from word go!

It's fucking stupid and is no way to have anyone invest in a shitty plot point...sorry...story...when the actor could soon be outta there.

• Love 1

I don't think I've seen anyone say that JT wants to be on GH though. Too comfortable to leave, maybe. And I am positive that DZ would have left in a heartbeat in 2013 if he didn't have kids, so he's in that boat too. I don't think BM is bad for wanting to use GH as some steady income. I do think Frank is misguided in letting him have a possible out after just a year.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 2

I think JT is going to leave the second he gets an opportunity to do so. And same with any actor on the show who wants their career to be more than GH. I've just seen a lot of people get on Billy Miller for this and that when I feel like the same applies to a number of other people.

• Love 1

Honestly, the only reason I don't want DZ gone completely is I wouldn't want them to kill Dante off, so I could actually live with a recast. They'd probably hire another 6 foot Ford family actor again though and fuck it up though. (I love BC but he's definitely a Ford, as is RP and as were Rafe and Trey.)

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 3

But the reality is, fair or not, the TV climate is more about youth than talent. Not to say that either Miller or Thompson are ready for Depends or Fixodent, but...JT will be 39 this November. It is very rare that an actor will get a "big break" so late. Maybe he can make it as a character actor, but he has said at PAs that he doesn't audition well due to nerves, etc.

I recall when he got this job and said how he was this close to going back to Canada. I think the money on GH provides security and he has a job, so why rock the boat?

I have no idea how old Billy Miller is, but he must also be in his 30s by now having been on both AMC and Y&R for a long stretch before coming to GH.

They'd probably hire another 6 foot Ford family actor again though and fuck it up though. (I love BC but he's definitely a Ford, as is RP and as were Rafe and Trey.)

...I'm gonna need you to throw salt over your shoulder immediately.

• Love 2

JT's answer in that new interview told me everything. He's staying on GH for now for the security and working to do something else. I'm just saying...he's clearly wanting out. And would leave if he could.

• Love 2

JT's answer in that new interview told me everything. He's staying on GH for now for the security and working to do something else. I'm just saying...he's clearly wanting out. And would leave if he could.

I know he had some indie documentary stuff in the works some time ago. Maybe he can focus on things behind the camera to stretch himself. I imagine GH is, as you say, just a paycheck and he's not there for creative fulfillment. With what he is getting now - or not, as the case may be - it's not shocking.

Billy Miller is 35.

These days though, there's a lot more options for an actor imo than there were 20 or even 10 years ago. Primetime shows no longer have to be huge hits to have multiple seasons, and now stuff like amazon and netflix have their own original programming. An actor doesn't necessarily have to have a big break really to make it outside GH. But still, GH is steady, on going and has tons of time off so I can see why an actor would be reluctant to leave.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 6