Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

(edited)
4 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

Timing is everything. I don't see this show lasting past 2018.

I don't either. That doesn't mean he won't be back at least for the end. I always believed he would be, and I am one fan who never wants to see his dead-eyed ass again.

4 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I feel like though, with this recent Bree Williamson casting not to mention the re-return of Michael Easton, that Frank's feeling pretty comfortable.

As do I. I think he knows he's in the clear until at least next fall or later due to the development issues with new daytime shows, so he's cruising and bringing out all his faves. That doesn't mean they can't replace him if JFP makes a good pitch. Either way, when renewal time comes again Frank will try to bring back a bunch of vets and do the usual razzle-dazzle in the fall he's been trying for starting in 2012, trying to boost the numbers to impress the suits, with diminishing results ever since then. OTOH, the show's still on the air, but a lot of that - most, IMO - has to do with their not having viable alternatives.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, jsbt said:

I don't either. That doesn't mean he won't be back at least for the end. I always believed he would be, and I am one fan who never wants to see his dead-eyed ass again.

JakajajjjAja. I know.

But, yes, I could see a bunch of actors coming back for the end. Frank certainly wouldn't pass up a chance at Sam and Liz ripping each other's hair out over TWO Jasons. Add in TWO Francos and a Nina and you've got your last shot. CUT! PERFECT!

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

JakajajjjAja. I know.

But, yes, I could see a bunch of actors coming back for the end. Frank certainly wouldn't pass up a chance at Sam and Liz ripping each other's hair out over TWO Jasons. Add in TWO Francos and a Nina and you've got your last shot. CUT! PERFECT!

I would kill myself.  I want to will myself into a stroke at the thought of that happening.   Besides, you didn't include Sonny nor Carly in that.  The last shot of GH will be Sonny blowing up the hospital to save the town from an evil super villain that's fat and probably AJ/Jax/Lorenzo's fault because fuck SK, TK, and Ingo.  Carly and Brenda will be at his feet as he stands in a wifebeater, sweaty and dirty, and he will say something about history or whatever.  Or how cool he is.  Monica and Tracy will walk by and he will shove them out the way.  SBu walks by in a skin tight tee, they embrace.  End scene.  That's how GH ends.  

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Chairperson Meow said:

I would kill myself.  I want to will myself into a stroke at the thought of that happening.   Besides, you didn't include Sonny nor Carly in that.  The last shot of GH will be Sonny blowing up the hospital to save the town from an evil super villain that's fat and probably AJ/Jax/Lorenzo's fault because fuck SK, TK, and Ingo.  Carly and Brenda will be at his feet as he stands in a wifebeater, sweaty and dirty, and he will say something about history or whatever.  Or how cool he is.  Monica and Tracy will walk by and he will shove them out the way.  SBu walks by in a skin tight tee, they embrace.  End scene.  That's how GH ends.  

That's if Guza was around. Frank's last scene includes RH, Stafford, Michael Easton, and Teresa Castillo. Some way, some how.

• Love 4

You know Sonny will be there.  Sabrina sings "You're Not Alone" as a montage of Sonny blowing up the hospital for reasons happens, Nina twirling in a dress, RoHo makes wooby eyes, ME makes a sarcastic face, and then Sonny and SBU Jason embrace.  End scene.  

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Chairperson Meow said:

You know Sonny will be there.  Sabrina sings "You're Not Alone" as a montage of Sonny blowing up the hospital for reasons happens, Nina twirling in a dress, RoHo makes wooby eyes, ME makes a sarcastic face, and then Sonny and SBU Jason embrace.  End scene.  

And the Daytime Emmy for best drama goes to...General Hospital!

The audience: HOOOOOW!?!??!??

• Love 3

I really hope Nashville gets their fifth, sixth and seventh season. Anything that will keep Jonathan Jackson off GH. I have no problem with Lucky, but that sad and dreary dude is just not the guy to play him anymore.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

Timing is everything. I don't see this show lasting past 2018.

I will see you at the tour at the new set location on the moon in 2040.

• Love 10
7 hours ago, jsbt said:

Steve was Jill's leading man on Y&R, and a very expensive one. Jill is gone and Chuck Pratt may be on thin ice as well. I don't know if Steve will go right away, but I believe he will go sooner or later and sidle over to GH.

With all the high paid actors Uncle Frank has brought in, I don't see how he could afford SBu. Wasn't one of the sticking points of him leaving that, since he lives in TN, he wanted the show to pay for his travel back & forth? I wanna say JFP gave that to him to get him at Y&R. Now, if he's fired from Y&R though, he may have to take whatever he can get. I also don't see Jason Thompson lasting as Billy. He is pretty much reviled as a recast (they call him NeverBilly) and what JFP did to the Chancellor mansion in service to JT's character pissed off the studio and network to the highest of pisstivity, so much so that Angelica McDaniel commented on twitter about how much the makeover was disliked by the higher ups. That may have been the last straw for JFP staying in charge. 

Whatever happens to the Friends of Jill, they really need to look outside daytime for work. The ratio of available soap stars to actual soaps is...not good. Take the hint, guys. 

• Love 1

I could see JT going to Days or B&B.  He was just miscast.  He's a great actor with no ego and professional.  Another soap would pick him up.  He's not a known FOJ. Burton would go back to GH for business reasons and Frank would take him for ratings.  Frank never had a problem making cuts before if he felt it would help him, so he would easily cut anyone if it would save his ass.   

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Kendall said:

I really hope Nashville gets their fifth, sixth and seventh season. Anything that will keep Jonathan Jackson off GH. I have no problem with Lucky, but that sad and dreary dude is just not the guy to play him anymore.

I could see Steve Burton coming back before JJ.  I think even if Nashville is over that JJ would focus on his music (besides other acting opportunities) before coming back to this dreck.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Kendall said:

I thought a lot of the sadness and dreariness re: Lucky was more in the writing, but YMMV.

In other news, I don't watch, but from what I read, I thought JT had gotten an okay response at Y&R.  Aren't people into him and Gina Tognoni's Phyllis?

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

In other news, I don't watch, but from what I read, I thought JT had gotten an okay response at Y&R.  Aren't people into him and Gina Tognoni's Phyllis?

I don't watch either, but this makes me sad if people are hating him. He was so excited to start over there (for good reason compared to the shit writing he got at GH), but from what I read the writing for him over at Y&R isn't that great either.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I guess it depends on who you ask. On the Y&R board here JT is universally hated and so is this...thing with Billy and Phyllis. There are people on other boards and twitter who like him/them but I think it's safe to say the reaction is mixed at best. 

• Love 1

JT is terribly miscast and the Billy character has been unrecognizable since he showed up. And many people believe he's been handed the show - he got an entire episode devoted to him on his first day, a couple of established characters now exist only to prop him, multiple women are sniffing around Billy (including his brother's wife, which would never happen if she were being written in character), his was given the iconic Chancellor mansion (which was completely redecorated and turned into a bachelor pad), he was forcibly inserted into the big umbrella story that had nothing to do with him, and last week there was an episode where every single character obsessed over his love life.

I'd be surprised if JT made it to the end of the year, especially with Jill Farren Phelps gone. 

• Love 3

I think some around the interwebs are underestimating SBu and JT. I think they're both smart people. I don't think their only hope at Y&R was JFP. I don't think her firing means their automatic dismissal. I'll leave it at that.

As far as JT, his character has a mixed reaction like almost every character does in the history of soaps, lol. He's playing Recast #478655, so he already has a lot to make up for, and also his character is TRASH. The writing has been his ultimate enemy, but as with a lot of characters who are written badly, the actors unfortunately get a bulk of the blame.

• Love 3

Mal Young has an extremely impressive background with my favorite British soap Eastenders, and most of those shows even at their worst are IMO several cuts above anything in American daytime over the last decade-plus.

I remember praying another Brit would take over OLTL back when ABC was investigating UK guys like Daran Little in the 2000s - I think the gritty realism of the UK soaps lent itself to OLTL and other ABC shows. If they give the guy free reign (doubtful) Young could do very interesting things. Or who knows, maybe he's already been totally USA-homogenized and will be a damp squib. But what a record.

• Love 5
(edited)

Dom probs looked at his script and then looked at his kids and then sighed. 

@HeatLifer * I think it's less a sigh and, well, I'll quote the man directly:

‘Screw it, I have a job: I don't need to go out and get another one.’ 

http://abc.soapsindepth.com/posts/dominic-zamprogna-explores-work-outside-of-gh-general-hospital-104168

You have to drive an hour across town for a 10-minute audition and when you get home, you've missed two and a half hours of the day for something you might not be super into. Sometimes it's not worth the hassle… and sometimes it is.”

No Dominic no! They're all worth the hassle.

*I feel like I'm bellowing your name out over a mountaintop with the all cap/bold thing. 

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, tvgoddess said:

I don't watch either, but this makes me sad if people are hating him. He was so excited to start over there (for good reason compared to the shit writing he got at GH), but from what I read the writing for him over at Y&R isn't that great either.

He really is just all wrong for the character of BIlly Abbot. I mean ALL WRONG. Of course the writing sucks eggs and I feel bad for him because I do think he's a very talented actor. But yeah I don't think I've heard one positive comment about him except for his opening scene. 

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, ulkis said:

‘Screw it, I have a job: I don't need to go out and get another one.'

LMAO! 

I can't at them hiring another child. I don't care who she is WE DON'T NEED ANY OTHER CHILDREN. But if it really is a Stavros/Lulu baby I might have to take a break. That's just too much.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Sake614 said:

He really is just all wrong for the character of BIlly Abbot. I mean ALL WRONG. Of course the writing sucks eggs and I feel bad for him because I do think he's a very talented actor. But yeah I don't think I've heard one positive comment about him except for his opening scene. 

WOEFULLY miscast. Billy Abbott isn't arrogant, if anything he has self-esteem issues which is one of the reasons he's an addict. I don't know that he has a place now at GH honestly. Nobody has mentioned his name except Robin, Emma, and Anna. It doesn't seem as if Uncle Frank cared enough about his character to try to keep him from walking away, so I'm not sure if he'd be made an offer. 

6 minutes ago, Badsamaritan said:

WOEFULLY miscast. Billy Abbott isn't arrogant, if anything he has self-esteem issues which is one of the reasons he's an addict. I don't know that he has a place now at GH honestly. Nobody has mentioned his name except Robin, Emma, and Anna. It doesn't seem as if Uncle Frank cared enough about his character to try to keep him from walking away, so I'm not sure if he'd be made an offer. 

1 hour ago, Sake614 said:

There ARE people who like JT as Billy. They're all over social media. He's not my favorite in the role (that will always be Billy Miller), but this idea that EVERYONE doesn't like him or thinks he's a bad recast just isn't accurate. I ultimately think the writing is the problem on Y&R, not necessarily the actor. That's just MO.

And I don't think JT will be crawling back to GH. He left by choice bc the show underutilized him and gave him nothing. If it was about a paycheck, he would have stayed. But clearly he was over the show in the last few years and I don't blame him.

But the character of Patrick will always be connected to the show through Robin and Emma. Their popularity lasted over a decade.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

There ARE people who like JT as Billy. They're all over social media. He's not my favorite in the role (that will always be Billy Miller), but this idea that EVERYONE doesn't like him or thinks he's a bad recast just isn't accurate. I ultimately think the writing is the problem on Y&R, not necessarily the actor. That's just MO.

And I don't think JT will be crawling back to GH. He left by choice bc the show underutilized him and gave him nothing. If it was about a paycheck, he would have stayed. But clearly he was over the show in the last few years and I don't blame him.

But the character of Patrick will always be connected to the show through Robin and Emma. Their popularity lasted over a decade.

I did not mean to imply that JT was universally hated in the role, but a lot of the folks I've seen on social media who do like him in the role were fans of his from GH. The writing is atrocious of course, but I'm not sure that, with better writing, he would still be good. We'll most likely never know lol.

I absolutely agree that Patrick will always be connected to GH through Robin and Emma, but for me, Robin is the draw in their history. If for some stupid reason they broke them up off camera, would he even be mentioned on the show anymore? Personally I'm doubtful. 

• Love 2

Eh.  They could bring him on as Matt if they really wanted to.  This is GH, land of Heroic Murderers, Latex Masks, and Murdering Nurse Princesses Who Sing Yearly.  Handwaving JT as playing his old character's brother sprung from prison isn't as big of a stretch as 90 year old Sonny still producing children.  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Badsamaritan said:

I did not mean to imply that JT was universally hated in the role, but a lot of the folks I've seen on social media who do like him in the role were fans of his from GH. The writing is atrocious of course, but I'm not sure that, with better writing, he would still be good. We'll most likely never know lol.

I absolutely agree that Patrick will always be connected to GH through Robin and Emma, but for me, Robin is the draw in their history. If for some stupid reason they broke them up off camera, would he even be mentioned on the show anymore? Personally I'm doubtful. 

I mean, I don't know the numbers of his fans who are GH fans or who are only Y&R fans or whatever, lol. But, to me, that doesn't matter at the end of the day. They're all viewers who are now watching the same product. They all count. I've watched GH and Y&R forever and I DO think better writing would help. Jason Thompson is not the problem for me. Writing Billy Abbott as trash IS. We can just agree to disagree. :)

If not through Robin, Patrick is connected through Emma and would be mentioned through her as her father. If Noah or Matt came back, he'd be mentioned through them. Soaps are all about connections. As long as a connection still exists on-screen for the off-screen character, they will be present in some way. It's why Courtney is still mentioned. Jax is still mentioned. Emily is still mentioned. Lucky is mentioned. There are characters on-screen who still have connections with them.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Badsamaritan said:

Miller's Billy was extremely arrogant. It was the main trait of the character when I quit watching Y&R. 

• Love 1

Which part of Frank ('s intern's) tweet about today show is most inaccurate...:

A fun surprise fan favorite pops in to Port Charles today -- enjoy! @GeneralHospital #GHSummerLoving #GH

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

recent interview with Mark Teschner (I'd forgotten he even still has a role in casting GH, although with control freak Frank I wonder how much it is).

Considering the incredibly shitty casting we've seen since FV started? I'd guess zero

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Oracle42 said:

Considering the incredibly shitty casting we've seen since FV started? I'd guess zero

I'm thinking it's a mix. Like Teschner ropes up the final cut, and FV interferes if he cares. I guess he (FV) asked both Laura Wright and Maurice Benard who they preferred for Morgan and he probably took that into consideration as well.

• Love 3

Apparently this person works for ABC. At least they're asking the fans, I guess, although whoever assigned it to them in the first place might want have given it to someone who knows GH?

• Love 5

I think FV puts his hand into the mix a great deal. That's the only way to explain the tackier (and often uniformly so) casting during the Valentini regime. Frank was infamous for cheerleading a man as close to an inanimate slab of rock as humanity has ever come from that "I Want to be a Soap Star" reality show and giving him a 13-week contract on OLTL. It was a disaster.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, magnolia11 said:

Frank's probably commissioned a Franco/Nina montage to mark the tragic end of their grand romance (sob).

Hee. it's Lulu and Dante and Kevin and Lucy.

maybe they're good-bye montages. :whistles:

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I guess he (FV) asked both Laura Wright and Maurice Benard who they preferred for Morgan and he probably took that into consideration as well.

I think that's fair. It's not much different from a chem test in a way.

2 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Like Frank would spend the money on that.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, jsbt said:

I think FV puts his hand into the mix a great deal. That's the only way to explain the tackier (and often uniformly so) casting during the Valentini regime. Frank was infamous for cheerleading a man as close to an inanimate slab of rock as humanity has ever come from that "I Want to be a Soap Star" reality show and giving him a 13-week contract on OLTL. It was a disaster.

And then it became a freaking alternate personality.   Wes.  Ugh.  Frank will always get what he wants, be it wig on a stick or ignoring it all together.  

9 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Hee. it's Lulu and Dante and Kevin and Lucy.

Reasons for montage: Making up, breaking up, marriage, goodbye.

• Love 2