Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Nowhere Man

(edited)
I see some places that this was episode 6 of 8 but I don't know if that's for sure a final count.

The writers said on twitter that its 12.

They've also said "it's open to a 2nd season, but all your current questions will be answered this season.".  I'm glad that the questions will be answered this season. Unless the ratings really pick up I don't think its doing that great/enough to get a season 2.

I still think she's annoying and complicit, though.

I agree. There's something really off about her.  

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 2

I totally agree. This was, by far, the best episode of the series up to now.  I was truly invested in the whole thing.  The scenes with pock mark and the dog and then testing out the sound proofing of the cabinet were really creepy.  Also agree about his wife. Something seems off with her.  Not sure she's involved but that would for sure make her more interesting.

A few observations:

1) In the confessional, Willa said she "lied to cover up a lie".  So she lied about the DNA test results to cover up Ben pretending to be Adam?
2) When Ben finally saw the flowers and the note, he smiled in an almost wistful way.  He didn't seem scared of Pocky but rather happy that he was thinking of him / wishing him well.
3) In the mall, it seemed to me that Ben gave Pocky a super secret small smile from across the food court.  It was barely there but it was there.

I think that they are somehow in it together. Not sure what the purpose would be but I think maybe even Ben was allowed to escape for whatever reason.  It seems the Mom is being targeted (both with Adam's kidnapping and now, with fake Adam coming back).  Maybe she did something in her past political career that Pocky didn't like?

• Love 2

"I was never alone"   That seemed kind of strange to me.  Ben was alone until pock marked man brought Adam.  The only boy who was never alone was Adam because Ben was already there when he was kidnapped.

This might be nothing of course.  This show had lots of holes and weird writing.  I am enjoying it anyway and I thought this week was the best one.  

Does anyone else think that we really need to be reminded every time of the 10 year apart scenes.  To me it's obvious I think it could be left out.

• Love 1

My teen daughter was balking at the bakery worker hitting on Hank, saying she's young and cute.  I said, "Andrew McCarthy was a hottie in the 80s!"  She said, "Really?  He looks like Andy on The Office now."  He does look a bit like Ed Helms.  I'll have to show her Class or Pretty in Pink.  

I think Andrew McCarthy is still pretty attractive, even in this show where's he's playing a creepy pedophile. But then I think Ed Helms is attractive too so!

I didn't buy any of cake lady's antics.

Me either. It didn't seem real at all. But sometimes it's hard to tell if stuff being suspicious is on purpose or if it's because of bad writing/acting/directing.

• Love 4

Police failure to contain the mall is a major fail. I was sure I heard Nina say "lock down the mall, no one goes in or out" after they realized Pocky was there. So how did he get out, just because he had a wife with him?

Willa is so weird... I wonder what her story is on why she set all this up? Just for the election? Really bizarre.

• Love 1
Police failure to contain the mall is a major fail. I was sure I heard Nina say "lock down the mall, no one goes in or out" after they realized Pocky was there. So how did he get out, just because he had a wife with him?

In fairness, Nina is a terrible cop.  Though I think she also told them to be on the lookout for a single man with a blue jacket, so a couple with no blue jacket would likely not be stopped.  I'm surprised the cameras caught pregnant lady on her own, but nothing of her with her boyfriend. 

• Love 2

In fairness, Nina is a terrible cop.  Though I think she also told them to be on the lookout for a single man with a blue jacket, so a couple with no blue jacket would likely not be stopped.  I'm surprised the cameras caught pregnant lady on her own, but nothing of her with her boyfriend. 

I know the police couldn't reasonably stop every middle age white guy walking out of the mall, but did it really not occur to them that the guy could take off the jacket?

• Love 4

I was cringing, waiting for bakery lady to figure out who Hank is, or worse, turn out to have known all along.  I'm glad he sent her on her way with a lesson about googling and they skipped the hysteria.

Hank's not a spare part. 

His connection to the kidnapping is two episodes after this one.

But I guess we got that matter settled about whether he's a pedophile or a park pee-er.

Laparoscopic or not, I can't believe an appendectomy was never mentioned until now.  They would have been going over that kid with a magnifying glass for birthmarks and identifying anomalies.  Wouldn't they?  Don't they watch Adam Ruins Everything--you don't just look at one DNA test result and stamp it:  The Hand of God Writ Large.

Thanks for explaining the drugged dog. I thought Pocky was training it to lie still and checking the stopwatch to see how long the dog could be obedient.  But then, puzzler, the dog didn't do his trick. 

Agree there's something hinky about Preggers--although she was upfront and open with Nina about the tunnel system, which must be how Pocky knew to set that all up.  But if they've already raised one kid that way, then setting that cute stuffed toy in the concrete block lair--the creepiest scene of the whole show--makes sense.

• Love 1
Laparoscopic or not, I can't believe an appendectomy was never mentioned until now.  They would have been going over that kid with a magnifying glass for birthmarks and identifying anomalies.  Wouldn't they?  Don't they watch Adam Ruins Everything--you don't just look at one DNA test result and stamp it:  The Hand of God Writ Large.

It does seem kind of ridiculous they wouldn't have made sure the kid matched up with Adam's medical records.  One thing I did notice was the picture of young Adam that Claire looked at had blue eyes, while the version we see in the flashbacks appears to have brown eyes?  Am I wrong on that?  

• Love 1

I still don't get the leap of "Gosh, I miss this particular brand of burgers from the food court!" translating into "Hey, kidnapper dude, here is the date and time I will be at the food court in the mall so you can come stare creepily at me and hope that your wife doesn't finish her shopping whilst we make awkward eye contact!" And how did Pocky (Doug?) know where to send the flowers? Did he send them to Adam Warren, but use Ben on the card so that they went to the right room? Because the hospital wouldn't give out the room number if Doug called to ask, so he wouldn't be able to just give a room number to the floral delivery service. And he wouldn't be able to just walk in and wander the halls looking for the [grossly non-secure] room. And he'd have had to sign in and get a visitor sticker when he stopped at the front desk to find out what room Adam/Ben was in.

Oh, wait. I'm applying logic to the show. Big mistake.

• Love 7

I didn't buy any of cake lady's antics.

I don't either and it doesn't help that Hank's character has essentially run its course now that reveal came out.

I know the police couldn't reasonably stop every middle age white guy walking out of the mall, but did it really not occur to them that the guy could take off the jacket?

That was ridiculous.  Certainly it has to be Police Officer Training 101.  People get rid of identifying clothing, hats,  fake beards, etc all the time when they're trying to get away undetected.  A jacket - as we saw - is one of the easiest things to discard.  Especially in a mall where there are trash containers everywhere.  

On another note, I have a question that I certainly hope someone can answer because it's driving me crazy!  At the very end, when Willa walks in and Claire confronts her, Willa says something and for the life of me, I can't figure out what it is.  I played it over and over, an embarrassing amount of times, and I just can't  make out what she's saying.  Help!  Please!

That was ridiculous.  Certainly it has to be Police Officer Training 101.  People get rid of identifying clothing, hats,  fake beards, etc all the time when they're trying to get away undetected.  A jacket - as we saw - is one of the easiest things to discard.  Especially in a mall where there are trash containers everywhere.  

On another note, I have a question that I certainly hope someone can answer because it's driving me crazy!  At the very end, when Willa walks in and Claire confronts her, Willa says something and for the life of me, I can't figure out what it is.  I played it over and over, an embarrassing amount of times, and I just can't  make out what she's saying.  Help!  Please!

She says I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, mom.

• Love 1

"I was never alone"   That seemed kind of strange to me.  Ben was alone until pock marked man brought Adam.  The only boy who was never alone was Adam because Ben was already there when he was kidnapped.

This might be nothing of course.  This show had lots of holes and weird writing.  I am enjoying it anyway and I thought this week was the best one.  

Does anyone else think that we really need to be reminded every time of the 10 year apart scenes.  To me it's obvious I think it could be left out.

The labeling of the year changes doesn't bother me one way or another but my hubby gets confused so those notations help him out.  I just tell by the husband's hair...grey or not.

I kept waiting for there be some kind of swerve during Hank's story.  Because it made no sense to me.  Apparently, this cake woman is the only person in the entire town who doesn't know who Hank is, was somehow attracted to him because he was brave enough to eat a cake by himself (?), and is so into him that she went ahead and tried to give him a blowjob after their first date?

Honestly, I thought it was pretty clear that the woman was just a complete weirdo herself. Not every weirdo has to be like Hank with pedophilia urges. The woman clearly seemed like someone who had no friends and was just really awkward and weird. So it's like one weirdo interested in another. Honestly I found that whole sequence incredibly, incredibly sad. It was watching two very, very lonely and sad people try to be "normal" and connect and well we all saw how it ended. 

2) When Ben finally saw the flowers and the note, he smiled in an almost wistful way.  He didn't seem scared of Pocky but rather happy that he was thinking of him / wishing him well.

I didn't see that as a smile. He screwed up his face in this way he tends to where it's like there's almost a smirk but it becomes more a wince or grimace. And if he was smiling, I don't think he would have crushed the card the way he did. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

I watched this episode just after the finale of Thirteen and was struck by the similarities in the two series.   I almost thought Danny was going to try to catch Pocky himself, but he just disappeared out of the mall scene.  I also think the actor playing Badam is doing a great job.   Going forward, Danny and his father think Adam is Adam and Mom and Willa know Adam is Ben.  I guess they'll have to keep it that way for a while. 

Maybe Pocky set Ben free because he's too old now.  They're still going to have to explain what happened to the real Adam.  I guess he's buried in a wall somewhere. 

• Love 1