Type keyword(s) to search

Late Show With David Letterman - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Anyone remember the TRIO cable network, and the days when they aired Late Night reruns?

I think I vaguely do remember that, and IIRC, that's why I think what I think (that these shows have much less shelf life than one might imagine).

Because I remember being really excited that I could see some of these old shows, and then...not watching any of them. Reality is that very few of them hold up for a whole hour.

On a nightly basis in real time, you watch, because you forgive the bad patches and live in hope that a good patch will come along. But when you're watching an archival show, and it's not great, you ask yourself why on earth you'd continue to waste your time, and you don't.

• Love 1

I know I could watch the segments but I'm such a music geek, I would want to hear the CBS Orchestra as they fade to commercial...I'd want random chats from the desk with Lyle the Intern or Dave rambling on music rights..it's those little touches that made the show different...

Plus. I would totally watch a Will it Float or Fun Facts channel but I am weird that way...

• Love 1

I'd buy a collection of Will it Float and Is this Anything. I agree that collections and best-ofs are the way to go, but I too think that will not capture some of my favorite moments with Dave at the desk just talking about whatever was annoying him or what happened with Harry over the weekend.

On another topic, I re-watched his episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee.  So funny. I need to look around for the Paley thing with him and Seinfeld, as I recall that being fascinating. Two smart comedians talking about comedy is as good as it gets, I think.

• Love 3

Donald Trump announces presidential run. Somewhere, David Letterman really regrets retirement.

Jon Stewart already said he was regretting going now for pretty much that very reason.  But happy it happened before he was totally gone.

I went to see Elizabeth Cook in concert on Monday and she couldn't have been more effusive about Dave.  Said he'd pretty much changed her life/career for the better and just praised him to the hilt.  She said he builds houses for Habitat for Humanity (it's either 2 houses twice a year, or just 2 houses - don't remember which).  After the builds, he throws parties for the people who do the building and invites his favorite singers ("court jesters" as she phrased it) to entertain.  She said she'd done one in New Orleans at Preservation Hall, with the PH Jazz Band.  

This is something I didn't know about Dave before and it makes me love him even more.

BTW, if Elizabeth Cook comes through your town, I highly recommend her show.  She's quite charming. And she sings good.

• Love 4

I recently got my Late Show T-shirt in the mail. I ordered it the night of his last show. When I was a freshman in college (a year after the switch to CBS) there were still a lot of "Late Night"-style T-shirts on campus ("Late Night at [College] - Top 10 reasons to be a [Greek letters here], for example). I don't recall seeing any made any after the move to 11:35.

• Love 1

Seems like First Aid Kit's incredible cover of Simon and Garfunkel's America, performed on Letterman, is nowhere to be found on the internet.  No idea why.  If anyone can help with finding it, I would be forever grateful.

I know I shouldn't compare the two..but after watching Colbert this week, I really miss Dave....and it was more than evident on the Sept.11th show...

It took me untill last night to realize what a great cheerleader Dave was for NYC...In the 14 years since the attacks, he has been there..showing off the city..in all it's toughness...it's tenderness and it's absurdity..Sure, he made jokes about the rats..and muggings on the subway...but all in a spirit of love for New York and her people..and in defiance of the terrorists' intent...

I loved that Paul would play New York style songs on the anniversary..or Imagine..with the bumper shots of the Lights honoring the WTC...and sometimes the musical guests would allude to 9/11..and there was that sense of loss and rebirth every night in that theatre...

All of that seems missing now...it takes more than opening credits to show off where you're from...It just seems like this new show doesn't have that....and it just seems to be another show films in New York City....

...and as the weather changes,, I wonder how the hookers in Times Square(God Bless 'em) are doing to honor the holidays...or how the squirrels are caring for their nuts...

I just miss Dave...

• Love 4

I found myself longing to hear the following words about Black Friday:

"I was pushed..I was shoved...I was groped..Hell, I'm going back tomorrow"...

..and I really hope Worldwide Pants will repost their Supercut of Darlene Love...

• Love 5

Gotta say ..Antenna's launch of Johnny Carson's Tonight Show has been a real treat...In certain moments, I am totally seeing where Dave got some of his ideas...Johnny really is the boilerplate for all modern talk shows...

• Love 1

I heard of the death of a member of Mott the Hoople..and that immediately brought to mind Paul and Dave riffing on "All The Young Dudes"..I can't recall what was said but it was just a bit of absurb talk..Anyone else recall that?

• Love 1

I don't recall that, but Sarah Palin being in the news reminds me of this exchange:

Dave: so John McCain picked Sarah Palin as his running mate-

Paul: oops.

That's one of my favorite tv moments of all time.

• Love 2

OMG. I just came across a Sonny and Cher rerun on "Get TV" and..... it was a Victorian setting, the snow was falling gently, William Conrad was a guest star joking around was singing along with a choir....and then Cher came out, her hand in a muff, and started singing O Holy Night.  It was just as Paul described it!

Sigh. I miss Paul and Dave.

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Listening to Deep Tracks on XM radio tonight, I was informed that today would be Warren Zevon's 70th birthday.  Which just made me miss Dave even more.  

And miss Warren...

Enjoy every sandwich, these days especially....

• Love 2

Just of note if anyone feels like a quarterback challenge, a Lone Ranger story and the quarterback challenge you can find them separately on line to make Christmas be Dave again! The time John McEnroe replaces Jay, complete with the Lone Ranger story is also available.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

I went down the rabbit hole and watched a bunch of clips of Regis and Dave together. Boy, that's the hardest I've laughed in years. None of the late night shows now come close to making laugh like that. I do have one question, what was the "walk on" song played for Regis?

• Love 2

Letterman

Welcome to the Letterman YouTube Channel, home to all your favorite clips from Late Night and Late Show - as well as conversations with the writers, producers and performers who helped make it all happen. These highlights have been artisanly-produced, carefully-curated, and chosen completely at random by an old computer that used to pick numbers for the New York Lotto back in the 90’s.

• Love 4

Paul Shaffer and The World’s Most Dangerous Band filled In for The Roots on The Tonight Show tonight. You should track it down if you missed it (airdate would be 2/3/23).

Here’s their two big segments 

Edited by opus
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

It was hard suffering through Fallon's hogging of the spotlight but well worth seeing Felicia, Will and the others. Also, it was cool to hear some of their bumper music again. It reminded me how much I missed The Late Show with Letterman....

• Like 3