Type keyword(s) to search

The Kitchen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I wonder who here could possibly be qualified to diagnose Katie as either anorexic or bulimic.  Maybe she's just naturally thin.  There are people like that.  I married one of them.  I agree with MerBearHou--she looks very healthy to me.  Her skin is beautiful, her hair is always gleaming.  I, too, wish that she'd go to a voice coach, but other than that (and some of the stupid dishes she agrees to prepare--they're all guilty of that, though), she seems like a lovely person.  I guess it's easier to pin an eating disorder on her than say, Gee, isn't she lucky to have that metabolism!

• Love 7

I actually sort of enjoyed today's episode. Although none of the recipes were particularly new or award winning, they were good. GZ's salmon and Sunny's one dish pasta reminded me of two dishes I used to make and will revive. I really liked the guest chef. He was easy on the eyes, made a delicious looking dish and was enthusiastic but not obnoxious or OTT like Jeff is. I wish he were on the show instead of Jeff. When Jeff was assisting KL with the bread, she asked him to mash the bananas to the consistency of baby food. So what does Jeff do? He screws up his face and proceeds to do his imitation of an infant bawling. KL just gave him a side eye and continued. I cannot stand silly stuff like this. He is like someone I know IRL who tries to be funny all.the.time. It wears on me. I am surprised they haven't skyped with Marcella yet or bombarded us with baby pics. I've probably just jinxed it and they will do it next week. 

• Love 1

What bothered me today for some reason was Sunny kept referring to Katie as Katie Lee. Yes, that is her name ... BUT Katie is her first name and Lee is her last name. That's like calling Sunny "Sunny Anderson" all the time. Then I noticed later in the show she just called her "Katie."

Maybe I am overly cranky because I am putting together my tax stuff for the accountant ... but it just bugged me.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

What bothered me today for some reason was Sunny kept referring to Katie as Katie Lee. Yes, that is her name ... BUT Katie is her first name and Lee is her last name. That's like calling Sunny "Sunny Anderson" all the time. Then I noticed later in the show she just called her "Katie."

Maybe I am overly cranky because I am putting together my tax stuff for the accountant ... but it just bugged me.

There was also a weird moment at the start of the show where Katie cracked "I love your lipstick, Sunny." Now, it was a nice dark maroony-wine color lipstick that actually looked really nice on Sunny, but the comment was definitely some subtle shade. 

• Love 2
On 3/4/2017 at 6:09 PM, LazyToaster said:

Did you notice the reaction of Geoffrey & Katie Lee when Sunny shoved all the items off the cutting board to get ready to take her big bite of Jeff's pierogi dish?  You could tell they didn't like it at all!  I had to rewind to be sure.  I really do like Sunny - when she's not acting like a fool - I so wish she would tone everything way down.   

What in the hell was that? Shoving all that stuff on to the floor was just so bizarre. If she was trying to be cute or funny, it was a big fail.  I can't believe that wasn't edited out. Is Sunny really that desperate for attention? 

• Love 2

I'm wondering if there isn't some way for the sound people on this show to turn down the volume just for Sunny. I guess not if they don't wear individual microphones. Apparently they have those overhead things. I find this show unbearable sometimes because she's just so LOUD. It's totally unnecessary so I don't know why the producers don't tell her to dial it down a few thousand notches. 

• Love 3

Was Sunny always so loud and obnoxious? I remember when she had her own cooking show and Do not remember her being this loud !

Sunny is so over the top obnoxious!  She is reminding me of how Rachael Ray and Paula Deen both started out tolerable, but soon became super loud and cartoonish !

I follow Sunny on Instagram, and she has also become weird and even gets into online fights with posters !

I think she needs to either calm down, or they need to replace her on this show .

• Love 5

I don't really need to hear them at the beginning of every episode acknowledging that Marcella isn't there and they all miss her. Please. We all know she's not there and I doubt they really miss her at all. I know I sure don't. 

• Love 7

I felt like Crew must be aware how viewers comments on sunny's outlandish lipstick and Katie's comment was a nod to that.. salmon dish and pasta looked delish.. more banana bread? C'mon. 

• Love 1
On March 12, 2017 at 1:30 PM, Sandi33 said:

Was Sunny always so loud and obnoxious? I remember when she had her own cooking show and Do not remember her being this loud !

Sunny is so over the top obnoxious!  She is reminding me of how Rachael Ray and Paula Deen both started out tolerable, but soon became super loud and cartoonish !

I follow Sunny on Instagram, and she has also become weird and even gets into online fights with posters !

I think she needs to either calm down, or they need to replace her on this show .

Sunny was not so loud and obnoxious on her own show from what I remember. I sometimes have reruns of The Best Thing I Ever Ate on while I prepare dinner and she is so normal when she appears on that show. Sure, she's enthusiastic about whatever dish she's talking about, but no screaming and she's not loud. And her makeup is always beautiful on that show. I am intrigued by your comments about her Instagram and will check it out.

• Love 3

I agree about Sunny being too loud and her wigs, lipstick, clothes not appealing. She is not a chef and it shows. I followed her on twitter and the past 6 months it seems like her attitude changed. She argues with people who respond to her tweets and is nasty to them. Paula Deen lost her show, but Sunny is very racist on twitter. She does not add any value to The Kitchen. She should be replaced. I like Jeff Mauro's energy. He and GZ are actual chefs with culinary training. Marcella is OK. Katie is not a chef. She and Sunny need to be replaced for this show to survive.

• Love 4

GZ's face when Hilaria Baldwin said she was using plain white vinegar in her dressing was hysterical.. he couldn't believe it lol... now Hilaria as a guest was confusing to me as she literally just placed food in a bowl. Sure it looked tasty but guest-worthy? Katie needs To expand her verbal repertoire beyond 'I love', 'so good' and 'so easy'... this show needs a revamping 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Mammalou said:

GZ's face when Hilaria Baldwin said she was using plain white vinegar in her dressing was hysterical.. he couldn't believe it lol... now Hilaria as a guest was confusing to me as she literally just placed food in a bowl. Sure it looked tasty but guest-worthy? Katie needs To expand her verbal repertoire beyond 'I love', 'so good' and 'so easy'... this show needs a revamping 

Oh good grief.  I have used white vinegar a couple of times when I was out of the red wine variety.  I could not tell the difference.   I don't watch this regularly anymore.  Just did a drive by here today.  Sunny and Katie Lee are not fun to watch and this reminded me why I took it off my DVR.  

• Love 2

I also don't understand why Hilaria Baldwin was on the show. What exactly was she supposed to show us/teach us/enlighten us about? I've known since I was about 7 years old how to put some veggies in a bowl and put dressing on it. We called it a salad. I also thought she acted like a ditz. 

• Love 5

Yeah, HB needs some media training stat.  They also performed one of my pet peeves of yoga:  doing the tree pose with one foot pressed firmly into the opposite knee. Not optimal posture.

That said, I'm going to try to remember to save my 28 ounce tomato cans to make that wine holder.  

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, Qoass said:

That said, I'm going to try to remember to save my 28 ounce tomato cans to make that wine holder.  

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but I was thinking I would rather die than wrap paper around a tin can, glue it to two plates, and serve a cake on it. 

That entire segment with Hilaria was so awkward. 

• Love 4

No sarcasm!  I don't drink much and I would like something small, cheap and easy to stow in my pantry for those bottles of wine I get as gifts.  It's not like anybody would see it.  I daresay I would even use the black binder clips instead of the gold ones.

That's the second time they've suggested gluing plates to stuff to make cake stands and no, I wouldn't make that or the bashed up vases.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 2
On 3/18/2017 at 3:04 PM, Gam2 said:

I also don't understand why Hilaria Baldwin was on the show. What exactly was she supposed to show us/teach us/enlighten us about? I've known since I was about 7 years old how to put some veggies in a bowl and put dressing on it. We called it a salad. I also thought she acted like a ditz. 

Because she's married to Alec Baldwin she is getting some recognition. Same way nobody knew who the hell Katie Lee was until she married Billy Joel. Luckily for Katie, she still is able to get tv cooking show gigs even after the divorce. As for Hilaria, I feel sorry for Alec and the kids if they have to eat that stuff every day.  She pre cooks chicken and hard boiled eggs and preps salad veggies for a week's worth of eating and puts it all in the frige so she has meals to go to every night. How boring and repetitive can you be.  I guess when you call it "bowls" it becomes something special. 

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Mammalou said:

Just saw the crew was nominated for a daytime Emmy fOr best informational talk show hosts lmao..imagine what that acceptance speech would be like! 

Loud, awkward, shouty. Cut to Marcella at home with the baby. Back to more shouting and talking over each other. 

• Love 4

Well that was interesting.  No "we're thinking of you Marcela" at the beginning of the episode like they have done every week during this leave AND a co-host for the full episode.

I want cheese now.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I want cheese now.

I loved when Jeff was demo-ing the toaster grilled cheese bags and the grilled cheese sandwich he made DID NOT FIT IN THE BAG so they immediately went to the finished item! Husband was watching it with me and he said, after Jeff made the sandwich, "there is no way that sandwich will fit in that bag." Sure enough!

• Love 4

I enjoyed today's show, too, and that hasn't been the case for a while.  Maybe the new guy brought some different energy--and I thought he was funny. 

That said, Jeff's cheese enchiladas looked gross.  He said to put sauce on the bottom, but didn't do it, and even the finished version didn't have it.  And there was an awful lot of bare tortilla showing.  Or maybe I'm just used to Tex-Mex--I'm not sure what his were supposed to be.

And Katie Lee needs a better bra.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
Add comment about actual food on the show.
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I thought he was funny. 

I thought Jeff's reaction to David's quips was kind of funny.  It was almost like "hey that's my role."

I did appreciate that they focused on his skills and didn't focus on who he was married to unlike last week.

• Love 2

I liked David as well, thought he had a fun personality.. I wish they would stop trying to make cheese pull a thing..

with cheese as your theme, there has to be a million different options for recipes to present.. pizza?!

Yes I agree Katie was definately unharnessed lol

Edited by Mammalou

God, I wish Sunny would stop referring to everything as a "moment."  Everything is either a "vinegar moment," a "tomato moment," or a "lemon moment."  It's getting really tiresome.  I'd also like to nominate the term "cheese-pull" for permanent banishment.  Moment + cheese-pull = me wanting to put my head in the oven.

(I noticed that Marcella received no mention again today.  Do I dare believe that maybe she's not . . . no, I don't want to say it in case I jinx it.)

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, SuzyLee said:

(I noticed that Marcella received no mention again today.  Do I dare believe that maybe she's not . . . no, I don't want to say it in case I jinx it.)

Praying really hard on that one!!!!!?

• Love 6

As soon as the show started Sunny started screaming during intro to the show. She was so loud and obnoxious, we turned the Kitchen off! I would rather watch Marcella instead of Sunny. Marcella is a trained chef and she cooks real food. Sunny opens a box or canned item, throws it in the oven to heat. Yuck.

GZ and Jeff are real chefs too. 

• Love 3

I Iike Marcella. 

Have they stopped doing a drink at the end of the show? That is one of parts I like. They are not as shouty, probably because it's GZ 's segment. 

I try very hard to eat vegan, but cheese is always my down fall. I love cheese. And look forward to seeing cheese recipes. This episode was disappointing. Grilled cheese, pizza...  ummm I'll pass. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mammalou said:

Marcela's back to filming the kitchen she posted pix on her Instagram... sorry!! 

That's my cue!??? 

Edited by Yolo
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, SuzyLee said:

I noticed that Marcella received no mention again today.

She received mention, just not at the top of the hour.

1 hour ago, imjagain said:

Have they stopped doing a drink at the end of the show? That is one of parts I like. They are not as shouty, probably because it's GZ 's segment. 

I just think it was this episode.  They had it last week. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Gam2 said:

I have stopped watching this show because I cannot stand one more minute of Sunny YELLING. Done. Click.

Every week it seems to be worse... and with the interrupting too 

• Love 2

This most recent show, she practically fell on top of Katie while jumping halfway down the counter to grab some food that she'd demanded a piece of (and was very obviously ignored).  I don't understand how she thinks that any of this is a good look for her.  She seems to want to come across as bellowing, obnoxious, greedy, oblivious to how people perceive her.  She didn't used to be like this, so either she has some issues or this is her deliberately re-creating her image to be loud and tough and "street."  It isn't working.

• Love 5

Get a pizza crust, I think David said he didn't even make his, it was store bought, throw it on the grill, slather Ricotta all over it, then 3 more different kinds of cheeses.  Wow, ok. I wouldn't have thought of that. Then the grilled cheese with the frozen mozzarella sticks in it.  So inspiring. 

It feels like they're phoning it in lately. Maybe instead of cramming in too many recipes and segments, they should narrow it down to just a few things and make from scratch. I don't know if that would even work with 5 hosts but anything is better than what they are doing now.  I really did like this show at one time, sorry to see it going downhill like this. 

• Love 4

I think its time to give this show a facelift. Maybe have three NEW hosts and reduce it to 30 minutes. I left the show for a while but came back for the snark. I have learned a few interesting things but the increased frantic yelling as if we are at a "pep assembly" (that's what they called it in my day), the fighting to be the first to cram food in their mouths and then talking with food in said mouths (looking at you Sunny), and the cheap crafts have run me off again. As I said in a previous post, I saw a rerun of The Best Thing I Ever Ate recently and Sunny was so different back then....enthusiastic about the dish she was talking about but not loud and OTT. 

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

I think its time to give this show a facelift. Maybe have three NEW hosts and reduce it to 30 minutes. I left the show for a while but came back for the snark. I have learned a few interesting things but the increased frantic yelling as if we are at a "pep assembly" (that's what they called it in my day), the fighting to be the first to cram food in their mouths and then talking with food in said mouths (looking at you Sunny), and the cheap crafts have run me off again. As I said in a previous post, I saw a rerun of The Best Thing I Ever Ate recently and Sunny was so different back then....enthusiastic about the dish she was talking about but not loud and OTT. 

Agreed. I do think they could start with ditching the silly Pinterest crafts and concentrate on the food. Maybe focus on more homemade-ish food rather than store bought this and canned that. At least that is why I watch cooking shows. To get good cooking tips. I know, what am I thinking?

• Love 2
On Sun Mar 26 2017 at 9:16 PM, Mammalou said:

Every week it seems to be worse... and with the interrupting too 

Then we have to add Marcela back on top of this!? It's just too much??

Edited by Yolo
  • Love 3

Or another idea. If they want to keep it at an hour, then have four new hosts who I'll call A, B, C, and D. Yes, I am creative. Have A and B do two segments and have C and D do two segments during the hour. Then the next week, mix it up. Have A and C do two segments and have B and D do two segments, and so forth. Maybe that way you can have freshness, have fun seeing how the personalities play off each other and discover strengths within pairings.

• Love 2

I was amazed at GZ's originality and creativity with the breakfast sandwich. Put a square of leftover frittata between toasted English muffin halves! Wow! Brilliant! I know why GZ makes the big bucks. I could have never thought of this on my own. Next he'll recommend putting scrambled eggs and cheese in a tortilla and rolling it up. 

• Love 7