Type keyword(s) to search

The Kitchen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 1/15/2017 at 9:31 PM, Maverick said:

So they plop their next "star" into a pre-existing show and then round out the cast with some nobody who didn't have to go through make a buffoon out of yourself gauntlet?

HA!  I have never seen a better, more accurate description of the insanity they put the guests through on this show.

• Love 2

Since when are plastic spoons "scraps?"  The "how to use leftovers/scraps" was a decent idea for a segment until they used the spoon part of plastic spoons to make that ugly, cheap looking vase.  What a waste of plastic spoons that won't go bad and can be used for years.

• Love 4

Wow, yet again so many stupid "crafts." I didn't mind showing how to use the leftovers/scraps regarding food items, but otherwise hated the segment. The "spoon vase" was ridiculous and a waste of perfectly good spoons. And the paper bag placemat. Aren't they embarrassed showing this stuff? I did enjoy GZ's corned beef/pastrami crock pot method. I also enjoyed the idea of putting the broccoli stalks in the food processor for slaw. Those always go in the trash at my house. I wouldn't mind trying Sunny's fried potato peels but I very rarely fry anything and those peels need to be properly scrubbed for me to eat. When I'm peeling taters, I never scrub the peels since I'm not using them. Sunny is really getting embarrassing with her unbridled enthusiasm at trying the food. She looks almost pissed if she doesn't get the first taste. Wow, Spike looks awful. I haven't seen him in a while. He looked so unkempt. Still don't miss Marcella!!!

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 6

Every week, I find myself involuntarily cringing as each dish is completed and prepared to be served.  These people act like they haven't eaten in three days.  Hey, The Kitchen?  That's really off-putting.  I wouldn't allow my children to act like ravenous wolves at the table and I'm willing to bet that none of my fellow Previously TVers would either.

The. Spoon. Craft.  Each time I watch this show, there's a segment that makes me think I've just seen the dumbest thing ever, but the spoon craft takes the goddamn cake.  My daughter is 16-years-old, so you can rest assured that I have my fair share of adorably lopsided crafts made from tiny scraps and pieces of household items.  You know when she created those gifts?  She was five and ridiculously cute, so any imperfections were automatically forgiven and proudly displayed.  She was not an adult on a national television show, trying to convince me that I should waste 40 or 50 perfectly serviceable plastic spoons and an hour of my time.  Another thing that irked: they acted like the spoons from the box of plasticware were nothing more than the trash left over after the forks were gone.  Do these people not eat yogurt? soup? ice cream? cereal?

Spike.  Full disclosure: I came of age smack in the middle of the 90s, so I have an advanced degree in grungy-looking guys, but yikes.  Spike takes it one step beyond unkempt and has entered full-on Need a Bath Mode, from the scraggly, just-woke-up ponytail to the two-day beard growth.  He looks like someone I would have attended a patchouli-scented feminist poetry reading with 20 years ago, not someone I want cooking dinner for me now.  Things were no better during the Kitchen Sink episode that followed, where Spike 'n friends made a sandwich cake.  It looked gross at each and every stage, particularly when they cut and served it.

This network has officially hit the skids.  

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 7

Back again for more of this crapfest.  I'm so sick of the way they portray Geoffrey (I refuse to call him "GZ") as this high-class gourmand whose tastes are so above the majority of what they prepare.  They made a big fuss over the fact that he's never had pop-tube biscuits before (yeah, right) and he played right into it, pretending not to know how to open the package and turning his nose up at how unappetizing the uncooked biscuits looked.  This kind of snobbery is really unappealing, especially on a show that undoubtedly has more than its fair share of pop-tube biscuit aficionados. 

They're still pushing the idea that Katie is a big meat eater as hard as they can.  There's nothing this show likes more than showing Katie taking a big bite of a drippy, bacon-laced hamburger and rolling her eyes back in her head in sheer bliss.  As for Jeff, he must have halved his usual dose of amphetamines this time; he was toned down quite a bit.  I will grudgingly admit to chuckling at his joke about needing a chainsaw to cut through Olivia Culpo's buffalo chicken bread whatever.  It did look a little overbaked.

(My 16-year-old daughter just asked me "why I watch this show if I hate it so much."  Bless her heart; she has much to learn about snarking.)

• Love 5

I thought this was an episode of The Kitchen Sink with all the focus on things looking creative rather than being practical or appetizing to eat. (Seriously, if you want to be more aghast, watch that show some time.  It leaves me slackjaw.  )

But hey, those mushrooms looked kind of yummy so I might try making them. I think they'd be good on a lot of things.  Even mixed with some roasted squash, cheese and pasta if you wish.

• Love 1

I am rushing out right now to buy brown throw pillows and white tape to make pillow footballs! Sorry, but that tape looked like you were trying to hide where the fabric was torn. Oh! Wrapping Jeff up in the snuggie and putting white stripes on it! Really??! I truly think that takes the cake for the stupidest thing I've ever seen on any show. GZ's face during that entire pathetic segment of snuggie, pillows, balloons, etc., was so deadpan.  Was anyone sitting at home giggling at the stale schtick of football puns? I would have been (not) but my backfield was in motion as I intercepted my dog to wipe down her paws as she came through the back door. I accused her of unsportsmanlike behavior! Heh, see what I did there? I can do it too, Kitchen. Hire me as a writer and it gets even better. Their interns on this show are really tearing it up with the script.

@SuzyLee, it's funny that GZ is so snobby about certain things like the pop tube biscuits but plays along with putting tape on pillows or making a football stadium out of cookie sheets of tacos and nachos. There was not one original super bowl idea on this show. Of course most of us already have our own classics that we enjoy every year. The burger guys were cute but nothing original. I appreciate that they shared their dad's special mushrooms (I've never thought of using canned French onion soup), but we use butter and Worcestershire sauce and simmer. Again, Sunny was embarrassing with her wolfing food and talking with her mouth full. The Kitchen needs a major renovation and I don't mean the set and decorations. 

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

I am rushing out right now to buy brown throw pillows and white tape to make pillow footballs! Sorry, but that tape looked like you were trying to hide where the fabric was torn.

Oh I forgot to mention this. My issue with this segment wasn't so much that it looked tacky but the fact that they made the laces in the same way on each item.  However, instead of just pointing to an item and say "you can use cheese to do it on chili hotdogs" and "you can use tape to do it on pillows," they showed the crew repeating the construction on every single item.  Just telling me what you're using is enough. I don't need to see you tape jars or pillows or whatever else they did over and over.

• Love 5

Speaking of "The Kitchen Sink", I've never had anything against Spike, but his hair these days is disgusting and I don't want to see it anywhere near food.  Not that the food on that show is that appetizing either.....

• Love 2

I found Sunny very annoying when she was helping the Korean chef... she kept talking over him and was acting like SHE was the authority on the ingredients and cuisine. Plus Katie and the frozen breadsticks.. come on... really?!

• Love 3

At least we didn't get a crapload of "crafts" this episode. Yes, Katie's breadstick "tip" was ridiculous.  And I've got news for GZ, we have put our tortilla chips in the oven to warm them up and revive them for many years. We have a Mexican restaurant that makes the best chips ever in the history of the universe. We buy a bag and warm them up before serving. Oh so good. But keep an eye on them so they don't burn. 

Is anyone making any of last week's ideas for the game tomorrow? I'm making pork posole with guacamole and chips on the side. My neighbor gave me the recipe and it is delicious. I'm thawing my homemade chicken stock for the soup base now!

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Mammalou said:

Plus Katie and the frozen breadsticks.. come on... really?!

That didn't bother me.  In fact, none of the recipes really bothered me in this episode.  But I even give Katie a pass on the breadsticks because the person asked specifically about the Olive Garden breadsticks.  Frozen breadsticks seem appropriate.

• Love 2

So the Korean chef basically made a crock pot stew? Aside from the sauce, what was the big deal about throwing some stuff together in the pot?  I remember them teasing Iron Chef (hate when they refer to him with that) GZ one episode because he didn't understand the concept of a slow cooker and never used one before. Yea, sure, GZ. He was very quiet during this segment, as if he was wondering what in the hell he was doing there with those amateurs. He's clearly there for the paycheck only. I don't really think GZ is that good of a chef. I did not like his scampi recipe. Worchestershire sauce? Not feeling it. 

I just can't when they get in to the arts and crafts! This is a cooking show, people. If they can't fill an hour, cut the damn thing down to 30 minutes. 

Not missing Marcella at all. There is no need for 5 people. 4 obnoxious ones are quite enough. 

Why must I turn down the volume down every time this show comes on? 

On 1/28/2017 at 2:06 PM, Yolo said:

I wish sunny would stop acting as if she's starving dam near every episode. Jeez!!!

You know what's so funny about that? I don't know if anybody else will remember this, when the show was new, Sunny would NEVER eat anything! She would push away the food all the time. She must have been on some kind of strict diet. I thought it was so rude. The producers must have told her if she wanted to keep her job, she better start eating the food and simultaneously act like she is having an orgasm! 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 5
22 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

So the Korean chef basically made a crock pot stew? Aside from the sauce, what was the big deal about throwing some stuff together in the pot?

The flavor profile is different than many stews normally made. I would actually like to try to make it.

• Love 1

Watching Marcus S on this ep was refreshing.. a guest who taught me something about technique and interesting ingredients... that's what I miss about Food Network. Instructional Shows with hosts like Tyler Florence or other experienced chefs.. I'm over cupcake wars or shows with precocious kids who cook.. or watching someone roll frozen mozzarella sticks in Doritos.. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Mammalou said:

... or watching someone roll frozen mozzarella sticks in Doritos.. 

... or watching someone roll TWO slices of bacon around a frozen onion ring ... then suggest dipping it in ranch dressing. I felt like I needed to call a cardiologist just after seeing that ...

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Westiepeach said:

... or watching someone roll TWO slices of bacon around a frozen onion ring ... then suggest dipping it in ranch dressing. I felt like I needed to call a cardiologist just after seeing that ...

...or watching someone stick black olives in a block of cheese in order to call it a die.

Sunny seemed particularly hungry and manic on this episode. 

• Love 5
On 2/19/2017 at 3:05 PM, Westiepeach said:

I've wrapped them around a fresh onion slice, then baked it off. Then basted it in chipotle/honey sauce. It was amazing 

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, Watermelon said:

I've wrapped them around a fresh onion slice, then baked it off. Then basted it in chipotle/honey sauce. It was amazing 

@Watermelon, if you can demonstrate how to do this without screaming and giving exaggerated facial expressions, I would rather watch you do it! 

• Love 4

Jeff's pierogi skillet on today's episode looked really tasty. But I think I would have used a potato pierogi rather than cheese, just to keep the corned beef, cabbage & tater theme going. I hate sounding like a pierogi snob, but I would only use the frozen kind for that sort of meal. Fresh pierogi lightly crisped in butter are tasty enough; no need to improve on that. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I agree, @sabretooth. The pierogis looked good and I would use potato as well. I love sauerkraut, the more pungent the better for me! I also thought KL's lasagna soup looked pretty good. I might try that. And because I have to snark on something, I hated Sunny's blue green lips and her woolly mammoth vest. That looked like something that a thrift store rejected.

P.S. We've made frozen margaritas like that for 100 years but we also add triple sec. So easy. One blender cap of triple sec, two blender caps of tequila, frozen limeade and ice.

Finally...still not missing Marcella!

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 3

What did you all think of the red wine and "cola?" Was it GZ and Katie that did not care for it? And was it Jeff that said it would make you want to drink red wine in the summertime? or something ...

I definitely did not get a "Sangria" vibe out of it like Sunny was saying. But then I was hypnotized by Sunny's lips so I am not sure what I heard.

• Love 2
(edited)

Although some "decent" recipes at times?, I think The Kitchen has ran it's course!!!!:

"GZ"- tends 2 be a snooty booty. Clutching his pearls at canned biscuits and crock pots.

Katie- Blah!!!!?

Sunny- talks toooooo dam loud and can't hold her composure because she's clearly starving.

Jeff- Is ok.

Marcella- Just irritating to say the least. *Just think, she's coming back.?

Edited by Yolo

Did you notice the reaction of Geoffrey & Katie Lee when Sunny shoved all the items off the cutting board to get ready to take her big bite of Jeff's pierogi dish?  You could tell they didn't like it at all!  I had to rewind to be sure.  I really do like Sunny - when she's not acting like a fool - I so wish she would tone everything way down.   

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Westiepeach said:

What did you all think of the red wine and "cola?" Was it GZ and Katie that did not care for it? And was it Jeff that said it would make you want to drink red wine in the summertime? or something ...

I definitely did not get a "Sangria" vibe out of it like Sunny was saying. But then I was hypnotized by Sunny's lips so I am not sure what I heard.

GZ hated it. Looked like everyone else was struggling to say something nice about it. 

I also thought the lasagna soup looked good. I love slow cooker recipes. I would not top it with all that cheese though, maybe a sprinkling of mozzarella. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

Ha!!! Yes sunny's lips were so distracting!! 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Maya said:

I also thought the lasagna soup looked good. I love slow cooker recipes. I would not top it with all that cheese though, maybe a sprinkling of mozzarella. 

I was surprised when Katie said that the great thing about it was that there was less cheese and therefore cheaper.  I don't know how much cheese she puts on her lasagna but I have a hard time believing that multiple bowls of lasagna soup with that much cheese adds up to less cheese. Maybe it's cheaper because she's using lower quality cheese. I think a dollop of fresh mozzarella would be sufficient.  One thing I wished she would have mentioned was whether or not she breaks up the noodles before throwing them in the slow cook.  Not that I'm going to make this soup.  My local grocery store has a lasagna soup that I can buy. 

They weren't loving it. I don't drink so I don't know if I would like it but when I was in Spain, I knew a few people who loved it.  

Sunny doesn't need a cosmetics and wigs case; she need a ROOM to fit them all in.  NOTE TO SUNNY:  Silvery purple is not your color.

The best sangria I ever tasted was my very first one, served in a fine hotel restaurant in Madrid.  I don't know what kind of brandy they used, but it filled the drink with the most delicious fruit taste.  I could easily have become a sangriaholic!  I didn't see how the show's version tasted much like sangria.

Sometimes, this show seems so filled with clever ideas and good recipes, while at other times it just seems to fall flat.  I don't know whether it's me or the show, but I feel like I never know whether the show will be good or not.  Does anyone else feel that way?

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, Lura said:

Sunny doesn't need a cosmetics and wigs case; she need a ROOM to fit them all in.  NOTE TO SUNNY:  Silvery purple is not your color.

The best sangria I ever tasted was my very first one, served in a fine hotel restaurant in Madrid.  I don't know what kind of brandy they used, but it filled the drink with the most delicious fruit taste.  I could easily have become a sangriaholic!  I didn't see how the show's version tasted much like sangria.

Sometimes, this show seems so filled with clever ideas and good recipes, while at other times it just seems to fall flat.  I don't know whether it's me or the show, but I feel like I never know whether the show will be good or not.  Does anyone else feel that way?

I agree that the show  is inconsistent. There are shows where I fast forwarded through everything, and other times, like this week's show, when the recipes are actually interesting. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Lura said:

Absolutely, I don't know what's worse the "chefs", "recipes" or the "fashion". 

• Love 4

In that I think the recipes are generally dismal, I look forward to seeing the crafts -- if they're clever enough.  I still put Sunny ahead of the others in originality and skill.  Katie is hopeless.  She doesn't know what to do with a piece of tape. Speaking of which, why does Katie wear such form-fitting clothes?  She already subsists on greens and seeds, I think, and she wears things that accent her emaciation.  Why doesn't she wear some fashions that fill her out a little?  I get the feeling that she's trying to show off her thinness.  Is she anorexic or bulimic?

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Lura said:

In that I think the recipes are generally dismal, I look forward to seeing the crafts -- if they're clever enough.  I still put Sunny ahead of the others in originality and skill.  Katie is hopeless.  She doesn't know what to do with a piece of tape. Speaking of which, why does Katie wear such form-fitting clothes?  She already subsists on greens and seeds, I think, and she wears things that accent her emaciation.  Why doesn't she wear some fashions that fill her out a little?  I get the feeling that she's trying to show off her thinness.  Is she anorexic or bulimic?

I think she's doing the old, "look how much I eat and still I'm sooooo skinny." My gripe with her is even more superficial. I hate the way she is always swallowing her saliva while she's talking. Like she has an abundance of spit pooling up in there and every few sentences, she has to stop and swallow it down, followed by a little smacking noise. 

For all of their annoyances, I do like some of the recipes, and have added many to my rotation. 

And who among us can make a sandwich without saying to themselves, "crust to crust is a must"? 

• Love 2

When making a sandwich or toast, I totally say "crust to crust is a must" in my head now, as a result of Jeff and this show.  And it makes a difference on the sandwich, I have to say!

As for Katie Lee, I actually think she looks healthy-skinny.  She looks muscular and toned, not emaciated, IMO.  I really, really like her (though I'm sorry for her voice -- too nasally).  She seems warm and fun and not always attention-seeking-look-at-me like Giada.

Gosh, I do not miss Marcella. 

• Love 6