Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: I Like Them All, I Just Can't Choose!

• Start Topic

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 times today hit with that burning nerve pain in my right arm.

Will call my PA tomorrow. Might be related to the Cipro, or not.

I have a very slight ache in my neck, left side so maybe that is it. Who knows.  Funny it chose this time to flare up.

Frustrating to say the least. I need the UTI/kidney issues to heal, but I don't need a nerve issue because of it.

Hope to take Kody to the vet on Sat just to weigh him. I carry him (gingerly) outside to go potty and I think he is getting pretty big in just one week!

Joe bought Kody a little police sweater. He looks adorable in it.

He will probably be able to wear it another week!

20431184_10155549412934122_5563132742430148099_n.jpg

25 minutes ago, Cricket said:

I have a very slight ache in my neck, left side so maybe that is it. Who knows.  Funny it chose this time to flare up.

Frustrating to say the least. I need the UTI/kidney issues to heal, but I don't need a nerve issue because of it.

Hope to take Kody to the vet on Sat just to weigh him. I carry him (gingerly) outside to go potty and I think he is getting pretty big in just one week!

He's just darling!  Hope you get your arm thing figured out.

9 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Regarding healthcare and the internet, the healthcare and insurance industries have pretty much forced our hand on this haven't they?  We are in charge of our own health, and gone are the days that we can just show up at the Doc's office, state our case, and leave with a diagnosis or an Rx.  Most often, you're given paperwork to see the next MD in line, and the next and on and on.  We had damn well be at least a little informed, at least have the ability to ask educated question about what we're being told or being given.  The MDs are clearing houses now, with the task of seeing as many patients as they possibly can in a given day.  No, we can't expect Dr. Google to know everything, or to properly diagnose, but it can help us to know what to ask.  It's a new world folks.

I agree!  I can't believe how little I'm told by my doctors and med technicians about my illness, diagnostic test procedures and drugs. Yes, I do feel that I've been forced to resort to Dr. Google. Otherwise I would just be groping in the dark.

Cricket, the new puppy is darling!

i really like  my internist and my gynecologist -- both women.  They have taken time to explain or look up things for me.  Unfortunately, my gyn is leaving.  I am so disappointed -- it took a long time to find one who cared about older female issues.  Back to the drawing board!  (Or I will Google later on and find out where she moved to!)

17 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Yes.  There was a good singer a few seasons ago I think, who dressed up in character also.  I'm thinking they got him to ditch the costume toward the end.

Doing this to animals finds my last nerve fsr.  

About the photo of the two dogs with painted designs all over their fur:

I hate it when people put makeup on animals too. However, my first impression of that picture was that the designs on the dogs were just Photoshop trickery.  

5 hours ago, Cricket said:

Love his ears!  What a cutie bug!

Hope you can get the issues with your health straightened out.  Of all people, you don't need one more thing to be concerned with! 

Cricket, thanks for sharing the pictures of Kody - I love his new outfit!    Not to scare you, but I've had a few go rounds with ciprofloxacin (the generic of Cipro) without any sort of difficulties.  I took it after my kidney surgery last year and I had arm pain similar to what you describe.  I sort of blew it off, because something always hurts in my body with all of the chronic crap, but I casually mentioned it when I was visiting my ENT (for my Meniere's).  He became very serious (rare, he's usually a fun guy) and said that some people (especially those over 60, I'm rapidly approaching) who take Cipro will develop severe tendinitis (which is swelling of a fibrous tissue that connects your bones to your muscles) or can even experience tendon ruptures.  He had me stop immediately and got me started on a different antibiotic.  So please, talk to your doctor as soon as you can. 

Had a very scary day at work today, I'm having problems sleeping so hope you all will indulge me, hopefully by typing it will get it out of my system.  As some may be aware I am currently working for a vet practice - I usually go in at 1 and am there until 7 or so.  It's been a bit of a bumpy ride, some strange management, difficult clients, grumpy co-workers (your usual suspects I suppose).  They recently hired a youngster (she's 26) to be our assistant manager.  She has no medical/managerial experience - her last job was membership coordinator at a local gym, so she's uber ebullient and friendly, tall and cute.  Not much in the common sense division.  The practice is located about 80 miles away from any major metro area and we sit off a state highway that has been called "the heroin highway" as it crosses the state.  Our office sits off of the highway on a side road in the middle of a cornfield. Today, I was supposed to work as a receptionist,but one of the vet assistants recently quit, so the "back" staff is short and I was helping out.  A family had come in with a very large dog that unfortunately needed to be euthanized.  We were having problems getting the dog out of their SUV, the owners wanted the doctor to perform the procedure in the back of car, but the doctor wanted to get the dog out of the heat and give the family some privacy.  Our vet went out to give the dog a mild sedative, we proceeded to get the dog on a stretcher and started to move him into the clinic.  All of the sudden this random skinny "guy" shows up - starts asking what type of dog this was, what was wrong with it (all this happening with the dogs owners in tears).   I wanted to smack this guy, but I figured he was just another patient who was being a bit too nosey.  We went inside the procedure was performed - about an hour later I helped the owners carry the dog back to their car (they wanted to bury the dog) on their farm. 

Yep, there's the "guy" again, hanging around in the parking lot.  He had the nerve to ask this family if he gave them $50 could they give him a lift to the next town up the highway.  I told him to get the "Hell outta here" and got the family into the car and on their way.  I walked into the back door of the practice, cleaned up the treatment room, checked with the other tech who said she was OK to handle the rest of the appointments, so I went back up front where the "friendly" receptionist was talking to someone at the front desk and was letting them use our phone.  You guessed it, turned the corner and there was the "guy" using our phone.  He told her that his "girlfriend" had stolen his bankcards that they shared and he wanted to call the bank to cancel the cards.  He was on the phone (tying up our calls) for 20 minutes.  I told him we were running a business and he needed to finish up the call.  He did, but then asked if we could call a "cab".   Friendly receptionist once again obliged, she gave him the phone, he called his "cab" phone number.  All the time I'm muttering "get him outta here" (We had about $500 in the drawer).   He sat in the office for another 20 minutes,  chatting away with "friendly" and asked her again if he could call the "cab" because it hadn't shown up.  

There were no other clients in the waiting room which was odd.  I told him that I would call and check on his cab.   When I called they told me that they hadn't had any calls from this man.  "Friendly" had left the front area to use the restroom, I told "guy" this, they said they'd be here in 10 minutes.  By that time the other Tech who had been outside with me came out and asked me "WTF is he doing in here"?  I told her that I was feeling very uncomfortable, (you know you get that gut feeling) - she agreed said we needed to get him out of the building.  We were getting ready to do just this and here (fortunately) came the cab.  He quickly left the building when he saw us approaching him and left in the cab.

Five minutes after we had at least seven sheriff cars driving around the building and up and down the streets.  Apparently they had arrested a suspect who was alleged to have raped/robbed several women over the weekend and he had escaped - after we gave them his description, he was the "guy".   Talk about a scary day!  Yikes, I'm having problems getting to sleep - I'm sure my "attack" cats will protect me!!!

Another reason to look for another job - but another reminder that crime is everywhere!

1 hour ago, zoemom said:

Cricket, thanks for sharing the pictures of Kody - I love his new outfit!    Not to scare you, but I've had a few go rounds with ciprofloxacin (the generic of Cipro) without any sort of difficulties.  I took it after my kidney surgery last year and I had arm pain similar to what you describe.  I sort of blew it off, because something always hurts in my body with all of the chronic crap, but I casually mentioned it when I was visiting my ENT (for my Meniere's).  He became very serious (rare, he's usually a fun guy) and said that some people (especially those over 60, I'm rapidly approaching) who take Cipro will develop severe tendinitis (which is swelling of a fibrous tissue that connects your bones to your muscles) or can even experience tendon ruptures.  He had me stop immediately and got me started on a different antibiotic.  So please, talk to your doctor as soon as you can. 

Had a very scary day at work today, I'm having problems sleeping so hope you all will indulge me, hopefully by typing it will get it out of my system.  As some may be aware I am currently working for a vet practice - I usually go in at 1 and am there until 7 or so.  It's been a bit of a bumpy ride, some strange management, difficult clients, grumpy co-workers (your usual suspects I suppose).  They recently hired a youngster (she's 26) to be our assistant manager.  She has no medical/managerial experience - her last job was membership coordinator at a local gym, so she's uber ebullient and friendly, tall and cute.  Not much in the common sense division.  The practice is located about 80 miles away from any major metro area and we sit off a state highway that has been called "the heroin highway" as it crosses the state.  Our office sits off of the highway on a side road in the middle of a cornfield. Today, I was supposed to work as a receptionist,but one of the vet assistants recently quit, so the "back" staff is short and I was helping out.  A family had come in with a very large dog that unfortunately needed to be euthanized.  We were having problems getting the dog out of their SUV, the owners wanted the doctor to perform the procedure in the back of car, but the doctor wanted to get the dog out of the heat and give the family some privacy.  Our vet went out to give the dog a mild sedative, we proceeded to get the dog on a stretcher and started to move him into the clinic.  All of the sudden this random skinny "guy" shows up - starts asking what type of dog this was, what was wrong with it (all this happening with the dogs owners in tears).   I wanted to smack this guy, but I figured he was just another patient who was being a bit too nosey.  We went inside the procedure was performed - about an hour later I helped the owners carry the dog back to their car (they wanted to bury the dog) on their farm. 

Yep, there's the "guy" again, hanging around in the parking lot.  He had the nerve to ask this family if he gave them $50 could they give him a lift to the next town up the highway.  I told him to get the "Hell outta here" and got the family into the car and on their way.  I walked into the back door of the practice, cleaned up the treatment room, checked with the other tech who said she was OK to handle the rest of the appointments, so I went back up front where the "friendly" receptionist was talking to someone at the front desk and was letting them use our phone.  You guessed it, turned the corner and there was the "guy" using our phone.  He told her that his "girlfriend" had stolen his bankcards that they shared and he wanted to call the bank to cancel the cards.  He was on the phone (tying up our calls) for 20 minutes.  I told him we were running a business and he needed to finish up the call.  He did, but then asked if we could call a "cab".   Friendly receptionist once again obliged, she gave him the phone, he called his "cab" phone number.  All the time I'm muttering "get him outta here" (We had about $500 in the drawer).   He sat in the office for another 20 minutes,  chatting away with "friendly" and asked her again if he could call the "cab" because it hadn't shown up.  

There were no other clients in the waiting room which was odd.  I told him that I would call and check on his cab.   When I called they told me that they hadn't had any calls from this man.  "Friendly" had left the front area to use the restroom, I told "guy" this, they said they'd be here in 10 minutes.  By that time the other Tech who had been outside with me came out and asked me "WTF is he doing in here"?  I told her that I was feeling very uncomfortable, (you know you get that gut feeling) - she agreed said we needed to get him out of the building.  We were getting ready to do just this and here (fortunately) came the cab.  He quickly left the building when he saw us approaching him and left in the cab.

Five minutes after we had at least seven sheriff cars driving around the building and up and down the streets.  Apparently they had arrested a suspect who was alleged to have raped/robbed several women over the weekend and he had escaped - after we gave them his description, he was the "guy".   Talk about a scary day!  Yikes, I'm having problems getting to sleep - I'm sure my "attack" cats will protect me!!!

Another reason to look for another job - but another reminder that crime is everywhere!

How scary for you!  The incident went on so long!  So they are still looking for him.  Hope the sheriff's dept is on high alert. I understand how this was very disturbing. You are right - you really have to be somewhat on guard at all times.  Hope you can sleep soon. 

@zoemom - Very scary stuff.  A gentleman by the name of Gavin De Becker wrote a book several years ago titled "The Gift Of Fear".  I think he may be a former police officer IIRC.  In it, he details how our fear, our instincts, are the best weapon we have in situations like you describe.  When I was on FB, I followed a firearms instructor's page 'Active Self Protection'.  He often spoke of 'situational awareness', a mindset wherein we should always assess our surroundings, be aware of what and whom is around us at all times.  There is a fine line I suppose, between fear instincts and paranoia, but we could all probably gain from reading about this.

Glad you all weren't harmed.  Geez.

3 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

About the photo of the two dogs with painted designs all over their fur:

I hate it when people put makeup on animals too. However, my first impression of that picture was that the designs on the dogs were just Photoshop trickery.  

Hope so!

Zoemom, how horrifying!  I'm glad you weren't alone at the office. But I wish the police cars had shown up sooner.

Aside from all that, it was sad to read about the family's dog that had to be put down. They must have loved it.

4 hours ago, zoemom said:

I knew I liked you for a reason. I was a vet tech for 5 years myself. Only left because the pay was horrid and I knew it would never get better so my new job (11 yrs now!) is much better. Anyway, always trust your gut. My first thought is he is casing your place, trying to get to the Ketamine or Phenobarbital or alike. We used to keep it all in our safe but he was probably there to see how to get drugs.

4 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

Zoemom, how horrifying!  I'm glad you weren't alone at the office. But I wish the police cars had shown up sooner.

Aside from all that, it was sad to read about the family's dog that had to be put down. They must have loved it.

how horrifying is right!  Yikes, glad you're all okay and glad you weren't alone.  Hope they catch him. 

You need a panic button at the front desk. Notify police that your office has one and, that following this particular incident, the staff will use it if any suspicious individuals  or situation arise. Being that you have some potentially dangerous/controlled medications on site, you can be prime pickings for the undesirables in the area.   Be safe.

P.S.   WHO in this day and age doesn't have a cell phone??? Wh was definitely casing the place OR waiting to commit yet another crime !!   

That is terrifying, Zoemom!   I like the idea of the panic button, especially since your office is in a remote location.  I hope your new office manager learned from this incident, too.  So glad you are all okay!

On 7/15/2017 at 9:48 PM, CarpeDiem54 said:

Whoever posted this Crazy Crust Pie, thank you!  It's delicious, especially with a couple of scoops of Friendly's vanilla ice cream.  And it was so easy!  Don't ask me why I was in the mood to bake something.  Maybe it's because it was only 80 today and not 98.  

http://www.landofrecipes.com/2017/05/11/crazy-crust-pie/

This pie sounds a lot like one I found online but with a few differences.  I'm including the link to the recipe because the blogger talks about using fresh, frozen or canned fruit and offers some suggestions.  The information would probably be applicable to the Crazy Crust Pie recipe too. 

http://margaretsmorsels.blogspot.com/2015/09/just-peachy.html

12 hours ago, zoemom said:

@zoemom, that is frightening!!!!!!  Thank goodness you insisted the family leave after their dog with euthanized.  My mother taught me and I've taught my three sons to always listen to your gut instinct because more times than not it's right!  I agree it would be good if your office could install a panic button (or even a couple).  I live in a big city and pharmacies are constantly being robbed by people looking for pain meds.  I've often wondered how long it would be before they target other businesses that have those meds.

@Cricket, I'm late commenting but I hope things are improving for you and Joe.  Keeping the two of you in my thoughts and prayers.

Zoemom - Insomnia is awful. Hope you get it out of your system soon!

My saga continues...

I get a phone call from my doctor's office at 9 am this morning while I am on the road doing business for work. She tells me to stop the medicine and they will call me back as the culture should be back today. Okay, I spend the morning with my cell phone glued to me.  I don't hear back by 1 pm so I tell a co worker, I am taking this to keep this infection under control and I am irritated they have not called. And I notice, again, that I seem to have way too many pills for what they prescribed. My co worker Amanda confirms this as well. Nice. I wonder if the medication they gave me is even Cipro? At least the # 250 on it seems okay. the prescription calls for 1 tablet twice a day, for 5 days. So that would be 10 pills. I have about 30 in the bottle. I used to do prescriptions at the vets  A LOT so I pretty much know someone screwed up. Well we get out of work early, I come home and take a nap after making sure Joe is all set. I get up at 4 and notice a voice mail on my phone from my doctor's office! The message tells me to call them to discuss. I call, they are gone for the day and Urgent Care won't connect me to the extension the caller left. Now I am really seething. So what should I do?!? I called the pharmacist to see if the practice called in a substitute antibiotic. They did not. He says I only have one more day so I should take the medicine as usually these tendon issues strike the legs. Great. I tell him about the pills. He is irritated that this happened to me, confirms the prescription amount I should have had, and tells me I at least got the prescribed medicine. He then tells me whoever filled the prescription (he will know) gave me the ENTIRE bottle instead of the prescribed amount. Gonna be a BAD DAY for that technician. I ask him if he wants them back, I knew he would have to toss them anyway. He said no. I said to Joe, what if these pills would have been Tramadol or Oxycontin?!?  You can BET he would have had me bring them in first thing in the morning and destroyed them. Nope, don't want to be the pharmacy technician! So... I do not know what the doctor wants me to do... I do not know the results of the culture. If it comes back negative then they are going to want me to come in for a Pap again and exam.... I don't know if I should take the meds or not as I have had 3 conflicting answers. Since I only have tonight and tomorrow, I will finish it. And hope for the best. On a positive note, my kidneys across my back is not hurting any longer  and although I think I am still visiting the water closet more than usual, the pressure and pain has backed off there as well.

I miss the medical care I used to get back in the 80's... at least you could talk to people instead of the electronic phone crap we endure today.

1 hour ago, Cricket said:

Zoemom - Insomnia is awful. Hope you get it out of your system soon!

My saga continues...

I get a phone call from my doctor's office at 9 am this morning while I am on the road doing business for work. She tells me to stop the medicine and they will call me back as the culture should be back today. Okay, I spend the morning with my cell phone glued to me.  I don't hear back by 1 pm so I tell a co worker, I am taking this to keep this infection under control and I am irritated they have not called. And I notice, again, that I seem to have way too many pills for what they prescribed. My co worker Amanda confirms this as well. Nice. I wonder if the medication they gave me is even Cipro? At least the # 250 on it seems okay. the prescription calls for 1 tablet twice a day, for 5 days. So that would be 10 pills. I have about 30 in the bottle. I used to do prescriptions at the vets  A LOT so I pretty much know someone screwed up. Well we get out of work early, I come home and take a nap after making sure Joe is all set. I get up at 4 and notice a voice mail on my phone from my doctor's office! The message tells me to call them to discuss. I call, they are gone for the day and Urgent Care won't connect me to the extension the caller left. Now I am really seething. So what should I do?!? I called the pharmacist to see if the practice called in a substitute antibiotic. They did not. He says I only have one more day so I should take the medicine as usually these tendon issues strike the legs. Great. I tell him about the pills. He is irritated that this happened to me, confirms the prescription amount I should have had, and tells me I at least got the prescribed medicine. He then tells me whoever filled the prescription (he will know) gave me the ENTIRE bottle instead of the prescribed amount. Gonna be a BAD DAY for that technician. I ask him if he wants them back, I knew he would have to toss them anyway. He said no. I said to Joe, what if these pills would have been Tramadol or Oxycontin?!?  You can BET he would have had me bring them in first thing in the morning and destroyed them. Nope, don't want to be the pharmacy technician! So... I do not know what the doctor wants me to do... I do not know the results of the culture. If it comes back negative then they are going to want me to come in for a Pap again and exam.... I don't know if I should take the meds or not as I have had 3 conflicting answers. Since I only have tonight and tomorrow, I will finish it. And hope for the best. On a positive note, my kidneys across my back is not hurting any longer  and although I think I am still visiting the water closet more than usual, the pressure and pain has backed off there as well.

I miss the medical care I used to get back in the 80's... at least you could talk to people instead of the electronic phone crap we endure today.

So sorry that you have all this to deal with in addition to everything else. Incredibly stressful!  Very glad that you are feeling better. 

27 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Cricket, is there not a number you can call to talk to the doctor on call?  Maybe he/she might have access to info or your file?

The prescription mix-up is scary!

No, Urgent Care is on from 5-9 pm, they just said not to take the meds and call my doctor in the morning. (Mon)

I was okay with having a possible reaction, but now my mind is worrying about ovarian cancer. Great. The fact that the practice did not call over a new antibiotic is unsettling, unless they did not get back the culture test. Of course it has to come on a Friday so I have the weekend to fret over it.

(edited)
12 hours ago, Cricket said:

No, Urgent Care is on from 5-9 pm, they just said not to take the meds and call my doctor in the morning. (Mon)

I was okay with having a possible reaction, but now my mind is worrying about ovarian cancer. Great. The fact that the practice did not call over a new antibiotic is unsettling, unless they did not get back the culture test. Of course it has to come on a Friday so I have the weekend to fret over it.

Easier said than done of course, but don't borrow trouble.  Worry won't serve you.  We'll all stay positive for you!

Just because...a Saturday morning breakfast video -

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
(edited)

I love that little guy nursing on his back! Adorable.  Thanks SSE.

Cricket, my left shoulder and elbow have been bothering me for a couple of weeks, and I'm not taking anything. Your issue could be non-related to the Cipro, and I'm glad your kidneys are feeling better. 

Scary story, zoemom. I'm surprised the guy got into the cab, if he didn't have any money. I'm glad the cab driver is okay!

So, Evine is having a jewelry day, for Glamping (glamorous camping). Oy. Pam McCoy just said a diamond necklace goes great with a bathing suit. Who are these people?

Edited by ennui
1 hour ago, TexasTiffany said:

This has me thinking... what if our super hero name was based on our lipstick shade?

I'm Mauve Sublime.

Since I tend to skip lipstick (I'm an eye makeup junkie) in favor of lip balm, I guess I'd have to be Badass Balm.

(edited)
5 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

Today is National Lipstick Day!

misc pics cosmetics lipstick cartoon take on wrld with lipstick.jpg

5 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

This has me thinking... what if our super hero name was based on our lipstick shade?

I'm Mauve Sublime.

I'm Love.

Maybe not comic book graphic novel-worthy, but if that's my superpower, I'm happy.

Edited by HissyFit
It's an early color from IT Cosmetics.
(edited)
8 hours ago, ennui said:

I love that little guy nursing on his back! Adorable.  Thanks SSE.

Most welcome~

Re:  the lipstick super hero thing

Last shade I bought was a Doll 10, called So Chic

Probably couldn't be further from an accurate description of my current self.  Once upon a time maybe...

(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 0:47 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

We are in charge of our own health, and gone are the days that we can just show up at the Doc's office, state our case, and leave with a diagnosis or an Rx.  Most often, you're given paperwork to see the next MD in line, and the next and on and on.  We had damn well be at least a little informed, at least have the ability to ask educated question about what we're being told or being given.  The MDs are clearing houses now, with the task of seeing as many patients as they possibly can in a given day.  No, we can't expect Dr. Google to know everything, or to properly diagnose, but it can help us to know what to ask.

Boy isn't that the truth.  I've had a couple experiences of late to illustrate this.  Not to boor anyone - but as I've mentioned I have a few medical "issues" that are chronic/ongoing.  One of these is that my body makes too much calcium, and I was forming kidney stones in that were 8cm in diameter (imagine a medium sized round Christmas ornament).   I've had a history of kidney stones, usually am in the hospital at least once a year to have lithotripsy since 2008.  These bigger stones can't be pulverized via lithotripsy, the surgeon has to go in from the outside and extract the stone out of the kidney - I end up spending 3 days in hospital then another week recouping at home.  Last one of these surgeries was in Sept 2016. The plan after this was to monitor my calcium levels I'm on a strict low oxylate diet additionally.  

I went to my "new" PCP, his first words to me honestly, were "that his dad was a famous doctor".  He's a big strapping boy - they messed up my appointment; I was supposed to have been rescheduled but someone in the office didn't do it so he dained to see me on his lunch hour but said he couldn't wait to go get some ice cream!. He ordered blood work and a serum calcium.  Fortunately, the healthcare system I'm in also sends results (My Chart) to their patients.  There's my serum calcium which had gone from "normal" in February but was on the upswing to just above normal this time.  Did I receive any call from him??? nah.....nothing.  I ended up calling my nephrologist - who is very old school who will be seeing me next week to go over my results.  I also had a bladder stimulator placed that was supposed to help my bladder empty (TMI, I'm sorry, but that's an issue for some of us with MS).  I ASKED before I went to the OR if this would be a problem when it came to getting an MRI, since MRI and metal don't mix.   Generally I  get 1-2 a year to see how my MS is doing.  The doctor and the SALES rep for the device came in to see me before I went to the OR, I specifically asked them if this would be a problem - they both said there would be NO problem.  Yep, you guessed it - I go to get my MRI and I can't go into any scanner that scans below my neck, the technician and radiologist said they didn't know why I would have been told this because the magnets in the MRI would not only heat up the metal the stimulator is made from (imagine a pacemaker shaped item) plus the magnets in the MRI would more than likely"pull it out" of my skin .

I don't know what the answer is - I know where I live, even finding a PCP is a chore - we have so few and even fewer that accept new patients.  I used to see a great guy, he got so disgusted with all the politics/hassles that come with private practice that he now just moonlights in ER's a couple times a month.  He's happy doing that, its a shame because he's a great clinician, who really listened and cared.  I felt like he knew me and I wasn't just a name.  I'm fearful that in the present political climate its only going to get worse, especially for us who only have Medicare.

I also want to THANK everyone for your kind comments in regard to my ordeal at work last Thursday.  I really didn't realize how shook up I was until after I got home; it could have been really bad.  The scary thought is that he's still out there - the Sheriff stopped in this morning to tell us that he was still out there, but they felt that he was probably not in the area any longer.  I asked the practice owner about the possibility of getting a panic button for the front office.  Six weeks ago I also had to deal with a woman who was absolutely enraged, she came in and swore that a flea and tick medicine had killed her dog and didn't want to leave unless she spoke with the doctor that prescribed the drug.  The doctor had left early that day to go to do a career day at a school.  She screamed and pounded on the front desk for a good ten minutes saying that the vet "killed" her animal!   (they did an autopsy and the dog was riddled with cancer).

I mentioned that ordeal and Thursday's event but was told that they have a panic button in the "back" in the pharmacy area and that we can "call to the "back" or pick up the phone and call the sheriff if we feel threatened'.  They also have a camera on the front door.  Great.  We aren't allowed to have our cell phones when at the front office, so I'm less than thrilled with their lukewarm response .  We do keep our controlled drugs in a lockbox in the front, but its just a small box that could easily be carried out and our cash drawer is also very out in the open.    Like you mentioned Cricket - on paper the vet tech sounds like a wonderful job, I think people have the idea that you just "play" with dogs/cats all day, and while most of the animals are great, you also have another patient, their owners.  I worked in pediatrics for 22 years before this and the parent/child dynamic is similar, but never had a child 'bite' me and the pay difference (with the same or even greater amount of responsibility  since animals can't tell you where it hurts or how they feel) is much better on the "human" side, which provides definite opportunity for advancement.  What I make now is almost (when adjusted for inflation is just about the same as when I graduated from school in 1980's)!

I'm hoping that one of the other positions call me and I can get something less stressful/fewer hours.  I was only supposed to work 15-20 - now I work 25 -35 a week.

On a much lighter note - I was so disappointed that I wasn't able to get to the MAC counter at Macy's on Saturday.  Since it was National Lipstick day they were giving away free MAC lipstick.  I'm a big fan of their Cherish and Up Note.  I'll admit that neither sound very super hero worthy, but I'm glad I don't wear "Rouge Volupte or Totally Nude" -those would be great Stripper names though!   Also yesterday was "National Lasagna day", maybe I'll celebrate this one a day late and make myself a batch later on today......that and a glass of vino, sounds like the makings for a great Sunday afternoon!!!!

5mac.jpg.b4d0e713bc58438ddb600af6de757c56.jpg

Edited by zoemom

Zoemom - Yes it is terrible what most vet techs make considering the work and hours. I miss the animals but that is it. I got bit only once by a feral cat but it was my fault. I was in a hurry to remove her from the pet carrier and she had babies. I never was tested for rabies.... maybe they watched her for 10 days, I don't remember. I had to go in for rabies shots when I was assisting our large animal vets. A calf had  been sick for awhile, and we couldn't figure it out. I took the doctor's coveralls to wash, they were covered in slime. Well, come to find out, they put the calf down and tested its brain and it had rabies! Next thing I know, I am asking them about my exposure! (my hands were always cracked due to the work and washing). I had to go to the County for the series of shots. The nurse there asked me if I wanted to put it through my insurance.  yea, right honey. NO... I told her, it is worker's compensation. guess they thought they could pull that one over me.

Your medical story is horrifying really. they do make MRI machines to do metal, I just found this out with Joe last fall as he has stents in his artery that goes to his heart. What surprised me was they xrayed his eyes first for any tiny specs of metal. As a mechanic, he has had metal removed from his eyes in the past when not using his safety glasses. 

We really have to be our own patient advocates today. :(

To clarify the MRI thingy though, the tech said the smaller machines did the metal, not the big ones. There is a difference and you want to be sure they know which one to use!!!!!!!!

(edited)

@zoemom - Your thoroughness is to be commended, your life literally depends on it.  I find myself becoming a curmudgeon where the medical profession is concerned, which is extremely unfortunate considering I am racing headlong to the time in life when they become a big chunk of our schedule.  I don't look forward to it, at all.

Thanks for the info on MRIs.  Yikes.  Good to keep asking.  I had a detached retina and they did something called a buckle procedure; never asked what materials were used to perform the buckle.  (Very fortunate; I can see with just a little fuzziness in part of my eye.). Fortunately, I remembered to mention it before an MRI and they said it was ok.

9 hours ago, zoemom said:

I was so disappointed that I wasn't able to get to the MAC counter at Macy's on Saturday.  Since it was National Lipstick day they were giving away free MAC lipstick.

I'm disappointed that I didn't know about it. I seem to always be a day late and a dollar short.

My super hero? Magic Spell, so y'all just better behave.  

Some of my lilies are blooming. One of the Star Gazers I had was toppled over at the base this morning, another chipmunk victim.

I have since given Joe permission for open warfare on them now.

Sorry, Elvin. You and yours were warned...

IMG_0377 (2).JPG

IMG_0375 (3).JPG

IMG_0378 (2).JPG

(edited)
1 hour ago, PearlClutcher said:

I love that shade of red!  As I talked about in the other room, my mother wore Revlon's Cherries In The Snow.  I occasionally wear Revlon's Fire and Ice, but now I'm addicted to Tatcha's Kyoto Red.

I'm a lipstick junkie so how did I not know this?  As stated before I would be Kyoto Red.  Fun game.

I'm wearing CITS today. I think CR and CITS are the two most perfect reds ever created. 

Edited by Girlydiva53
My typing thingies got overexcited.
23 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Some of my lilies are blooming. One of the Star Gazers I had was toppled over at the base this morning, another chipmunk victim.

IMG_0377 (2).JPG

IMG_0375 (3).JPG

IMG_0378 (2).JPG

Beautiful.

(edited)
18 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

What fun! Thanks for playing along! I like ALL of those names!

Fun reading them too - I am Black Honey.

ETA - funny thing I remember when I hear 'Cherries in the Snow' is a recipe MBR posted one Christmas years ago and I made it - it was yummy! 

I don't think I've ever worn a red lipstick in my whole life.

Edited by Fishy

Chapstick.

Gnarly, clearance bin old chapstick that may have rando cat hairs, if not purse boogers. clinging to the seldom removed cap.  Somewhere in some abandoned purse pocket, I think.  My lips are pure - cannot remember a tragic lipstick moment, although I'm sure I had one or two, way back when.

Open warfare on chipmunks is a Declaration of War with me and my axis of evil creatures.  Bombs away!   ;-)

1 hour ago, Cricket said:

IMG_0377 (2).JPG

IMG_0375 (3).JPG

IMG_0378 (2).JPG

Stargazers are one of my favorite flowers.  Their fragrance is outstanding!  Unfortunately, since I am a keeper of kitties, they are a no-go for me.

39 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Chapstick.

Gnarly, clearance bin old chapstick that may have rando cat hairs, if not purse boogers. clinging to the seldom removed cap.  Somewhere in some abandoned purse pocket, I think.  My lips are pure - cannot remember a tragic lipstick moment, although I'm sure I had one or two, way back when.

Open warfare on chipmunks is a Declaration of War with me and my axis of evil creatures.  Bombs away!   ;-)

Yea, they are cute and fuzzy till they invade your home and chew wires and cause a house fire.

We are OVERRUN with them.