Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: I Like Them All, I Just Can't Choose!

• Start Topic

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that dress mess on the news. The local store here still had locked doors but the manager said she took out as many dresses as she could to send to the brides. She called police to protect her since she was being swarmed by angry brides. 

It's an awful situation with some nice stories coming out of this as some stores are stepping up and offering brides deals. Good for them. That's truly scary. Some women don't have any more money to purchase a new dress. 

That pie sounds good. It's still on my grocery list.

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

That does sound good.  What "flavor" did you make?

Cherry!  Next time I think I'll make peach.  It's more like a cobbler than a pie.  Only took about 20 minutes to put together, including getting all my ingredients out, and 5 of them were wrestling with a beater on my mixer.

(edited)
20 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Cherry!  Next time I think I'll make peach.  It's more like a cobbler than a pie.  Only took about 20 minutes to put together, including getting all my ingredients out, and 5 of them were wrestling with a beater on my mixer.

I want to make the cherry first, then apple. @CarpeDiem54 Do you think it would work with fresh peaches or frozen blackberries, or only with canned pie filling? The markets close to me don't have pie fillings other than pumpkin at the moment. There's fresh fruit and frozen fruit. 

Edited by TexasTiffany
(edited)
45 minutes ago, TexasTiffany said:

I want to make the cherry first, then apple. @CarpeDiem54 Do you think it would work with fresh peaches or frozen blackberries, or only with canned pie filling? The markets close to me don't have pie fillings other than pumpkin at the moment. There's fresh fruit and frozen fruit. 

Hmmm.  I don't know.  I think if you "marinated" the fruit in sugar so that it's the same consistency, and syrupy, like canned pie filling it would work.  You may need to cook the fruit a bit, too.  It needs to be 21 ounces of the fruit/syrup mixture.  Maybe if you stewed the fruit in a bit of water and a lot of sugar and then let it sit overnight?  I might try that with some frozen peaches I have.

What's odd, is that Safeway doesn't have the pie fillings in the store either right now, but it is available for delivery.  That's why I bought a can of it because I happened to notice it when I was placing my order.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
(edited)
12 hours ago, PearlClutcher said:

Wow.  Another bankruptcy.  Do not p*ss off a bride from getting her paid for dress.  Makes you wonder if other things can just fold up over night like caterers and entertainment.  Blech.  I would elope.

I spent $1000 on my (first/only) wedding.  I was a tad older than some brides (31), and I didn't feel the need for all the tulle and circumstance.  It was 11 family members at the ceremony, a dinner following (parents bought), then about 50 friends invited for a cocktail/appetizer party.  There are some things I would do differently today, but overall I wouldn't change much.  Two granddaughters are getting married this year, and the money they're spending, and the hassle they're experiencing I wouldn't want under any circumstances.  TEHO

eta - First grand wedding is a 'destination' wedding in the Destin, FL area, on Labor Day weekend.  I'm considering wearing terry cloth towels.  Hubs and I will end up spending far more than what we spent on our wedding, just to attend/contribute to hers.  Hubs would rather stay home, lol.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
8 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Hmmm.  I don't know.  I think if you "marinated" the fruit in sugar so that it's the same consistency, and syrupy, like canned pie filling it would work.  You may need to cook the fruit a bit, too.  It needs to be 21 ounces of the fruit/syrup mixture.  Maybe if you stewed the fruit in a bit of water and a lot of sugar and then let it sit overnight?  I might try that with some frozen peaches I have.

What's odd, is that Safeway doesn't have the pie fillings in the store either right now, but it is available for delivery.  That's why I bought a can of it because I happened to notice it when I was placing my order.

Thanks for the help. It's been more than a month since Target and Walmart haven't stocked any can pie fillings. I might have to improvise. 

(edited)
19 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

Thanks for the help. It's been more than a month since Target and Walmart haven't stocked any can pie fillings. I might have to improvise. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Comstock-Filling-Topping-Cherry  This is a 10-can lot of 30 oz. from Amazon.  Wal-Mart has it in individual cans for same per-can pricing for 30 oz (3.98), or here for the 21 oz. @ 2.98/can (free shipping on $35 orders)  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wilderness-Original-Country-Cherry-Pie-Filling-Or-Topping-21-oz

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
On 7/14/2017 at 9:49 AM, Cricket said:

Thank you all so very  much for the prayers and well wishes for yesterday. Will post here so not to make a boo boo.

We had to be at Albany Med at 11 am for check in. We were there by 10:30 and checked in. Then we waited an HOUR before they brought him back to prep him. My two daughters Michelle and Jenn were there, as well as Michelle's fiance, Rolly. They did an epidural so they could keep future pain in check. At first he was leery because *I* fell into that 2 % that had horrific side affects when I had two of them back with my pregnancy days  with Jenn. I told him I took one for the team, so he should be good. And he was. Then we waited and waited... like over 2 hours. Apparently an emergency was holding everything up. I finally asked how many operating rooms they had. They have 30 operating rooms at Albany Med and do 90 - 100 surgeries PER DAY! Wow! So, finally about 3 pm, they take him down. The wait now begins. They took my cell phone # and we went to a nicer sitting room two floors up from the basement, where surgery is performed. We aren't there long when I get a phone call from the O.R. to be sure they can reach me. So odd to get a phone call from the operating room. Sure not like the days before when I was in the hospital with pregnancy issues. Pretty soon I get another call from the surgeon who is telling me that the tumor is much larger than the golf ball size they were led to believe! Something about it pressing on the diaphragm too. He had had some issues breathing which had worried me, but his doctor told him it was due to the chemo. I let everyone know, then did my rosary. It had rained all morning and by the time I finished and looked out the window, there was some light shining at us. The doctor called me right then and told me, they got it out. But because it was larger than expected, and Joe's liver was so high up in the body compared to others, they had to do a lot more tugging to bring it down, and make a much larger incision. Now it was Dr. Valerian's turn to reattach his GI system so he could get rid of the ostomy bag. Went back to clouds outside. About 7 pm Dr Nigam, the liver cancer doctor calls and tells us they finished and he would spend 3 hours in recovery. Dr Nigam came up to see us, by now we were back in the waiting room outside of surgery. He tells us he removed all of it but the liver would not grow back as he took more than he planned on. He also lost a lot of blood, but not enough for a transfusion. (this is way I am an ardent Red Cross blood doner - for all out there who need blood in times like this but I am not a match for Joe). Visiting hours close at 9 pm so everyone was leaving. I told the man at the attendants's desk we had to go as I live almost in Vermont so he allowed us to see Joe for a moment, two at a time. That was great for my kids. Then we made our way home. I was just ready to drift to sleep about midnight when my brain hears a phone ringing. I run, literally down the stairs and grab the phone and it is Joe. He wanted to tell me that it was so packed in there they moved him to another room. The attendant earlier said they usually do 100 surgeries a day and this day there was 136 surgeries. Boggles my mind. I think I will not go into work today as I am emotionally exhausted. (Even tho the boss is chomping at his bit over me doing the 2018 budgets with him) Michelle can go if I give her a ride at 3 pm so think I will do that as I know she wants to go. Maybe play in the dirt outside and praise God for saving him again. I am, of course, very concerned that he doesn't have it hiding somewhere else as with the way it grew in such a short period of time, it seems to me, very aggressive. I am very upset that these medical professionals, at THREE different medical sites, all said the spot on his liver back in Dec was just a fatty tumor and did nothing about it. We only learned of it when blood work came back AFTER the tumor in his colon was removed, that he had cancer somewhere else. The PETScan showed no other places other than something off around the incision site where Dr. Valerian removed the colon tumor and reattached. THEY THINK it is due to scarring in that area. Neither doctor during the operations yesterday could see that area from where they were working, and another colonoscopy will have to be done to look at this area from the inside out. I don't think we can take another hit to be honest. The doctors and nurses at Albany Med are outstanding, but ultimately, for me, I look for a higher power to heal all. Made me sad to see all these people waiting with us all worrying over their own tragedies. I am so glad he no longer will have the ostomy bag. He will be happy to fart naturally again LOL.

Oh Cricket my heart goes out to you!   I could write a book about my experiences at albany med.   One of my favorites was when they paged my sons urologist Dr Kogan and Dr Cowan shows up.    Kogan is a urologist, I have no idea what Cowan is but we didn't need him.   Well he came back the next day , and I said "why are you here?"   He says, " his name is still on my chart so I have to come"...... OMG Give me the f***ing chart and I will cross his name off!  He came three days in a row........ oy vey......

Hugs and prayers for a quick recovery!

1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I wonder - did he bill for those 'appearances'?  'Cuz I would have to get stabby over that.

Of course.   Anyone that walks in the room bills you!   My son had a hole in his bladder and almost died, so ya I was totally disgusted but I didn't have the energy to fight it.  

When my grandmother was in the hospital, a Dr that she knew was walking by the room and he saw her and stopped in to ask her why she was there.   They chatted a little and he left.   He billed her.

You can't make this stuff up.

1 hour ago, Atia said:

Of course.   Anyone that walks in the room bills you!   My son had a hole in his bladder and almost died, so ya I was totally disgusted but I didn't have the energy to fight it.  

When my grandmother was in the hospital, a Dr that she knew was walking by the room and he saw her and stopped in to ask her why she was there.   They chatted a little and he left.   He billed her.

Unbelievable.  Actually, very believable.  Healthcare reform - yeah, I've got some ideas.

Hope your son is good.

19 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Unbelievable.  Actually, very believable.  Healthcare reform - yeah, I've got some ideas.

Hope your son is good.

Thank you!   His bladder burst twice two years in a row in the same week.  That was 7 and 8 years ago so all has been well since!  His doctors are amazing if you live thru all the nonsense that goes on in the hospitals!  And yes, I want to be on that health care reform committee please!

I saw a heartwarming story on the news yesterday about a golden retriever named Storm who jumped into the water to save a drowning fawn. What an amazing dog! Here's a link to the story and video. I saw another story with an update on the fawn - it's in stable condition, but will need several months of care and then, if able, will be released back into the wild.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/animalia/wp/2017/07/18/this-video-of-a-dog-saving-a-drowning-baby-deer-is-the-sweetest-thing-youll-see-all-day/?utm_term=.91aaa98bfbaf

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 1:01 AM, CarpeDiem54 said:

Yum!  Thanks for the review.  I'm putting this on my To Do list.  :-)

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:29 AM, TexasTiffany said:

or try another grocery store??

3 hours ago, Booney said:

I saw a heartwarming story on the news yesterday about a golden retriever named Storm who jumped into the water to save a drowning fawn. What an amazing dog! Here's a link to the story and video. I saw another story with an update on the fawn - it's in stable condition, but will need several months of care and then, if able, will be released back into the wild.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/animalia/wp/2017/07/18/this-video-of-a-dog-saving-a-drowning-baby-deer-is-the-sweetest-thing-youll-see-all-day/?utm_term=.91aaa98bfbaf

Wowsa!  Haven't read it yet, I will, but thanks for sharing!  Amazing nature.  Wish I knew why the awesomeness skipped over so many humans.

(edited)
3 hours ago, Denver Hoosier said:

For everybody that is tired of the summer heat, here's what we did yesterday.  :-)  Feel free to jump right into the picture and get a cool down.

@Denver Hoosier, I'm glad you found the small talk forum. We have such freedom in here! 

Your picture looks like everyone had fun watching the grandkids with the water. A very pretty backyard, too.

On 7/17/2017 at 9:36 AM, Atia said:

@Atia That is absurd! And sooo wrong! That truly is nonsense. I'm sorry that happened to you. I'm glad your son is okay and that's all in the past.

Edited by TexasTiffany
51 minutes ago, Fishy said:

Yum!  Thanks for the review.  I'm putting this on my To Do list.  :-)

or try another grocery store??

@Fishy - My car hasn't been working in awhile. I'm the one who walks everywhere, work, groceries, Post Office, etc. I'd try another grocery store if it weren't so far out of my way. Carpe gave me an idea of making my own filing using fresh fruit. 

Thanks for the happy news of the elephant being saved, and the dog saving the fawn. 

22 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

the small talk forum. We have such freedom in here! 

True. I've stopped reading the shopping forum; I realized I didn't enjoy it, especially the posts about Shawn and Jagger Jude. So, I quit. 

(edited)

My 20-something son moved to PA yesterday and went to his first Wawa today!  I was so excited to tell him I had heard of Wawa.  ?. He loves that he can get food-to-order at the deli there!   lol

Edited by Thumper
13 minutes ago, ennui said:

It was supposed to be a 15-minute hearing. I'm watching, too.

I had it on for a while in the background since every network decided to preempt for the hearing. I finally had enough at 2 pm and decided to watch Grey's Anatomy on Lifetime. 

I will say I was surprised at how well OJ looks. The tabloids had me believing that he was old and sick and had ballooned to 300 lbs. 

Now we'll see what happens when he gets out. 

10 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

So the national media has decided that the OJ Simpson parole hearing is worthy of being broadcast live.  And they wonder why their collective legitimacy has been in question.  ymmv

I was at work. Passed by a room with a tv. All I heard was "...we are bringing you a SPECIAL REPORT". I thought "oh no, another terrorist attack". When I got home, I found out what it was. I turned off the news.

Although we don't share the same political philosophy, I was very sorry to hear the sad news about John McCain. Glioblastoma brain tumors are rarely survivable and your demise is usually quite painful.  I wish him the best under these unfortunate circumstances.

10 hours ago, ennui said:

I will say I was surprised at how well OJ looks. The tabloids had me believing that he was old and sick and had ballooned to 300 lbs. 

Now we'll see what happens when he gets out. 

He has looked worse in the recent past IIRC.  He looks damn good for 70.  Probably been getting ready to be released and offend again.

On a lighter note, when Mr. Booney and I were in the Atlanta area recently visiting my sister and BIL, nephew and great-niece where there too from L.A. Great-niece will soon be 9 years old, and she's lots of fun. All the young kids are into making "slime" these days, and great-niece is no exception. So Mr. Booney and I became experts at making slime! It's a mixture of Elmer's glue, water and borax, and there are thousands of YouTube videos on how to make the stuff. (And apparently sales for Elmer's Glue are skyrocketing!) I guess it's a strange activity, to be sure,  but certainly better than the endless video games that most kids spend their time on these days. It was fun, actually!

I had to share this funny thing: 

I sent Mt Olive Pickle Company an email because I'm having trouble locating one of their products and they replied where I can order them directly.  The funny part was that the company is located on One Cucumber Boulevard.  Hee!

That made me smile. 

7 minutes ago, Fishy said:

I sent Mt Olive Pickle Company an email because I'm having trouble locating one of their products and they replied where I can order them directly.  The funny part was that the company is located on One Cucumber Boulevard.  Hee!

That made me smile. 

Tee hee!  I love Mt. Olive pickles.  Now I like them even more.

15 hours ago, Denver Hoosier said:

Although we don't share the same political philosophy, I was very sorry to hear the sad news about John McCain. Glioblastoma brain tumors are rarely survivable and your demise is usually quite painful.  I wish him the best under these unfortunate circumstances.

Rarely? More like, never. I, too, was sorry to hear the news.  I know everyone wants to be positive and optimistic, and "if anyone can beat this, it's John," but it's a grim prognosis. 

2 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

My niece makes slime. She was adding gold glitter to hers. What a great way to sell glue. I can bet their sales are up.

My great niece adds glitter too - and little colored foam pellets and other things. She adds a couple of drops of dye to color the slime, and she loves to combine colors. She had this huge jug of Elmer's because you have to use a decent amount to make a batch of slime. Stores apparently have a hard time keeping enough Elmer's in stock.

3 hours ago, Fishy said:

That made me smile. 

I spent several years as a representative for an international food brokerage company...sold products to grocery chains. One of my products was Mt. Olive. They were a great compant to work with.

Little known fact: the most expensive part of a jar of pickles is the jar.

3 hours ago, Fishy said:

That made me smile. 

@Fishy I love clever wordplay! I also like pickles!

My pc is working much better now. I've had a week or more of slow loading, crashing, can't access my regular pages, couldn't load photos, etc. It worried me. I sell things on ebay. I was worried it would effect my ability to do business.

I found a registry fix program with a lot of great reviews. It cost $29.99. I remembered to look for a coupon before purchasing anything online. Turns out that company offers coupons which brought the price down to $11.43. YEAH!!! I didn't want to pay $29.99 unless I really had to. I purchased. It wouldn't take my license key code. I emailed their support. Got a reply and fix in 20 minutes. It worked. I scanned. My registry restored/fixed. So far, I've been able to access my favorite sites without further problem. I feel so much better.

My reason for sharing this is to remind everyone to look for an online coupon before purchasing.