Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Changetown

Brett and Alex throw themselves into a new passion project. Michelle bonds with Anna, a new ally in her charter school campaign. Alex is dismayed by major changes at work and is confronted by a slighted Christy at home over his evolving partnership with Brett. Tina gets a crash course in parenting.

Promo:

I guess I am still not feeling Brett. He acts so childish with regard to Michelle and any real responsibility. At least he has a job now as an Uber driver but I imagine living in LA won't allow that for long. Tina is heartbreaking. Good to see that she is realizing that a marriage of convenience is not exactly a marriage.

• Love 1

ITA that Brett is being really childish. Regardless of who did what, Michelle should not be left to deal with all the childcare, ESPECIALLY since Brett wasn't even working. He should be the one taking Sophie to school, putting Frank down for his nap, and making dinner for the kids. To leave her with all that is just petty and selfish because look who's left to deal with it: the kids (and Tina).

And while I'm glad that Tina has finally crossed the threshold into feeling competent with the kids (and again, no judgment because I don't think that just because your sibling has kids means that you need to be good at unsupervised childcare), what if Tina lived in another state? How would Brett expect Michelle to handle the kids on her own? Sure, Sophie is in school for part of the day but Frankie isn't. Would he expect her to just put him in daycare and absorb the extra cost? And did he just assume that Michelle would pay the mortgage on her own until he figured out whether he wants to stay in this marriage or not?

When Tina found him sleeping on the sofa, prompting her to ask what he was doing there and he said, "I live here," I thought well, not really. At least not now you don't. That was the first time he had slept there in weeks (and I would bet that Michelle had no idea he was there), so it's not like Tina was way out in left field asking what he was doing there.

Christy is already living with Alex? How long have they been dating? It seemed like he had only been gone maybe a month at most in New Orleans.

• Love 1

I think Brett's behavior is pretty consistent with how he processes things, aka, by not processing things, but I think it's a good sign that he's back at home even if he was only there because Alex kicked him out. I think it's a case of him intellectually understanding that the marriage was in bad place, that he was responsible for a lot of that, but still emotionally unable to reconcile what this mistake means going forward. I find myself so empathetic with all of these people even though they are frequently a mess and in the wrong. Still Michelle, no amount of cheating excuses him from familial and financial responsibilities in the household. 

And I also forgave him a lot for being so kind to Tina,and recognizing that she is a "force" and can do anything she puts her mind to and really WANTS. I also was a little thrown by her  thinking Alex wants kids, I mean maybe he expressed that desire in S1, but I don't remember if he did, and if she's just ASSUMING that's what Alex wants, because it's what she imagined she would already have, despite NOT wanting it. Maybe part of rejecting him was that she's still so ambivalent about it all and didn't want him to miss out by being with her. Man I love Tina.

Man I love Tina.

Ditto. And I love this show. Everyone is really good but Peet is why I tuned in and, boy, does she deliver. I'm so glad season 2 didn't hit a sophomore slump (so far).

• Love 1

Brett drives me so insane that I don't even get why Michelle wants to be with him. A Uber driver?  I'm sorry, that is not a job for someone who is supporting a family. That's the kind of job that sounds great but it has no health, no 401k, no taxes taken out so it can pretty much fuck you over if you have kids and family responsibilities. And his idea for his show - Dune but with puppets.  WTF.  Grow up, dude. You've got kids. Plus, his level of denial about dealing with the issues in the marriage.  Are they still in counseling?  They should be. 

I love Tina.  I have actually told my children "Read the room" before so it made me laugh when she said that. Right when you're at your bitter end of dealing with stuff and you're at your most impatient, a child will come up and demand a snack or a drink.  Read the room, kids.  

• Love 3

I was so pissed at Brett for how he acted when he met Michelle for coffee. Later when he was telling Alex that he vacillates betw wanting to forgive her to wanting to run away (or whatever he said), I felt a little more sympathetic. I still didn't like how he treated Michelle, but I can see his side.

I'm curious about Michelle's new friend. Is it Anna? She seems too good to be true.

Loved seeing Tina having fun with the kids and feeling more confident. She was terrible with Larry, however. Of course he'd be surprised that she had a good day with the kids since she complained about it all the time. She put him in a hard place.

I don't quite understand why Alex was so bothered about his part being changed. Is it just that a pimp isn't glamorous, like a vampire?

• Love 1

I feel like I should feel more for the Brett character.  The other three actors are really making the most out of their roles, but I still have not warmed up to Brett.  I don't quite know why.

Everyone is really good but Peet is why I tuned in and, boy, does she deliver.

Same here. I would watch her in just about anything.

I don't quite understand why Alex was so bothered about his part being changed. Is it just that a pimp isn't glamorous, like a vampire?

I didn't get this, either. Shouldn't the prospect of becoming a series regular be all he cares about at this point?  Maybe he was actually concerned about the integrity and plot of the show (changing from a vampire to a pimp doesn't make a whole lot of sense)...

Same here. I would watch her in just about anything.

I didn't get this, either. Shouldn't the prospect of becoming a series regular be all he cares about at this point? Maybe he was actually concerned about the integrity and plot of the show (changing from a vampire to a pimp doesn't make a whole lot of sense)...

Pimps are vampires. It makes sense to some extent. Edited by SFoster21
  • Love 1

I can't stand Alex's girlfriend.  She makes me want to barf.  That thing she said about having an orgasm in the next 10 minutes and did he want to be a part of it?  Who says something like that?  Particularly with your boyfriend's friend in the room.  Please.  Also I really like the actor that plays Alex.  I think he is doing a great job at the character and his acting is great, and maybe I am being a little shallow, but I can't help but feel that someone a little more attractive should be in the role.  Like a Chris Pratt type. Kind of chubby but cute but then he loses weight and is super hot.  Is it just me?  I don't get all these hot women falling all over him or see him as a lead in a TV show.

• Love 2

The girlfriend is realizing that she is irrelevant in Alex's life.  He already has a bff in Brett and a beautiful hot mess love interest in Tina.  The sex thing was rather sad and pathetic.  If she left Alex, he might not even notice (or be relieved, because he already has a full plate).

The truth is, Alex and Brett are soul mates.  I notice the poster for this show is Alex and Brett hugging in the middle and Tina/Michele hugging both of them from the outside.  I am happy that Michelle seemed to find a genuine friend.  I know they have plenty of friends (as evidenced by the party and the game of kick the can last season), but Michelle does not seem to be that close to anyone, outside her sister.

• Love 1

I really, really hope this show is garnering enough attention that it means the award submissions actually get viewed so Amanda Peet will get Emmy, Golden Globe, and SAG nominations. This role is perfect for her. I've always enjoyed her, but she's really owning this role, the highs and the lows, and is so deserving of recognition.

I'm really enjoying the development of Tina and Brett's relationship. Maybe it's because I have a brother-in-law that these small moments are standing out to me, but I've found his concern about her very touching and the times they talk, while usually brief, have basically been pitch perfect.

I like the potential of the Anna and Michelle friendship, assuming it's just what it seems. But Katie Aselton looks terrible and washed out as a blond, she desperately needs to go back to being a brunette, she's much more attractive that way.

I'm in a different place with Brett than many. Don't think he's being childish. I was completely okay with how he was at the meeting in the cafe. He was checked out because she delivered news that rocked his world as he later explained to Alex. He's still seeing the kids constantly as he said, even more than when he was working, she just wants an answer about where they are. She wants everything back to how it was, but with Brett's changed attitude. But she fucked up and has to deal that not everything can be on her timetable and to her satisfaction, she lost that ability to demand as many answers when she broke her vows. Had she said that she needed him to help more with the kids or anything like that and he was checked out, I'd see being mad at Brett. But clearly Brett is absolutely there for the kids, it's her he's not there for. Sure he asked who was watching the kids today, but it wasn't like it was accusatory, it was a question. That Michelle was and is in the wrong is undeniable to me, so being mad about Brett's attitude when he's not being unreasonable doesn't work for me. And this is part of the consequences that come with her actions. This is why I didn't give her a pass at all in the season finale like so many others were.

And now she's asking about money??? How about you stop spending countless hours going to your non-paying "job" (you're a volunteer, dearheart) and get one that gives you some damn money instead of just assuming the husband you cheated on will take care of it. They weren't flush before, they were getting by. Also, because this is your approach, you don't get to judge him being an Uber driver. That's also something Michelle could reasonably do as well when she doesn't have the kids, but you don't see her taking steps to help out their financial situation. If she wants to be a stay at home mom, that's great, when you have a husband or partner who can afford you that situation. Things change, you change. She needs to start changing her mindset quick, and it's her own doing.

So, no I don't get the Brett dislike. I got it last season up until the finale, but not this season. The only legitimate gripe about Brett I think has to do with the writing, where it seems like he's this not-depressed, having somewhat of a mid-life crisis guy appeared this season in contrast to the depressed, dejected, and having a complete and utter mid-life crisis last season, yet nothing in the time off has been a drastic change for him to have altered his outlook as drastically as Alex's life, which did have drastic changes that could legitimately alter how he viewed things. So, Brett has seemed to maybe not had a 180, but he's had like a 120, and seems and feels like a different person and it feels like it's kinda overnight. I'm happy with the changes in his character, like him a heck of a lot more this season than I ever did last season, which was barely at all, but yeah, I think that's the only real complaint I could make about Brett. Otherwise, I think making him take on responsibility for handling being cheated on perfectly is a big ask and not something anyone can realistically do. He hasn't checked out on his kids, he's just going through the motions of figuring out a way to possibly forgive his wife for her transgressions.

And it's a major transgression, less we forget, Michelle may have tried to sell this as cheating one time, but Brett is very aware, she was emotionally cheating for a lot longer than that. It's not like he had to ask who David was, it's not some random jump off, which is why David was professing his love to her, she made it seem this season like he was crazy, but she was right there with him last season. We saw it and so did Brett.

Edited by JasmineFlower
  • Love 4

I also don't think Brett is being childish. I, ahem, understand what he's going through, and I feel the writing and his acting is completely real. Interestingly enough, adultery is also dealt with in Mark Duplass' film The One I Love, only his character is the one who cheated.

• Love 1

The truth is, Alex and Brett are soul mates. 

This is the central relationship in the series and has been since the pilot when Brett took care of Alex after he was evicted. I am new to the series and binge-watched all of S1 and S2 eps 1-4 on Sunday/Monday. To me, this relationship is the one the others revolve around.

• Love 1

What job did Brett have in S1?  He was some kind of sound engineer?  Why did that disappear?

Yeah when Alex was away, he was into the gf.  But now back around Brett and Tina, the gf is fading away.

And of course, Tina and Sandy Cohen has a fight.

It would be lame if they are setting up Alex and Tina getting together.  If they want to do it, do it fast, don't draw it out.

Yeah, the "will they, won't they" thing would be too predictable.

However, it seems inevitable.  Alex is obviously still in love with Tina and Tina is not happy with her rich older boyfriend.  I do hope they do not drag it out, we do not need another Ross and Rachel.

I think Brett should be the children's main care taker and Michelle should try to find a paying job, since she does seem to enjoy working towards a cause.  Maybe she could be an administrator at the charter school she help spear head for work for a non profit?

They might have to sell their house, if they live in an expensive area, since these types of jobs usually do not pay tons of money.  Brett was probably making a lot more as a movie sound engineer.

Edited by qtpye

What job did Brett have in S1?  He was some kind of sound engineer?  Why did that disappear?

He quit over working for douchy director or doing cigarette commercial.  I could not remember the exact reason

They might have to sell their house, if they live in an expensive area, since these types of jobs usually do not pay tons of money.  Brett was probably making a lot more as a movie sound engineer.

Every area in LA is expensive. I'm not sure what neighborhood they're in, but in one ep they walked to a nice restaurant or bar -- I can't quite remember -- so I'm sure they live in a desirable area.

Am I the only one who thought they might have Tina and Brett sleep together at some point after the end of this episode? Hope I'm wrong, because Season 2 has been even better than Season 1 so far. That'd be like setting off a nuclear bomb right in the middle of everybody's intertwined relationships.

I don't hate Brett like other people seem to. He just hasn't had the real passion to focus on that Michelle had with the charter school up until he and Alex decided to think about staging the play they were working on when they were kids. I also think his involvement in the childcare situation took place off-screen mostly. At least that's what it sounded like. In many ways his storyline is running parallel to Tina's, in that they've only just realised what it is they want to do, and who they want to be.  

I feel like I should feel more for the Brett character.  The other three actors are really making the most out of their roles, but I still have not warmed up to Brett.  I don't quite know why.

I watch this show occasionally, but would really be more excited by it, if Brett weren't the focus of everything.  He isn't an interesting person, and the other three are.  Every scene with no Brett is worth watching, the ones with him drag on and on.

• Love 1