Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: The Not-So-Great Escape

Four episodes in, and this show is the cutest thing. 

The trio is great. C.Cameron-Bure is an excellent anchor, J.Sweetin is smoking hot and funny and A.Barber is a hoot. They have excellent chemistry and they seem to really enjoy being there together, so I enjoy seeing them together.

I feel that the kids are getting more comfortable in their roles. I like Max.

• Love 3

I feel like this episode is the first one that felt like this is supposed to be a real show. The writing and acting felt more networky, still corny as hell but it was much better. Stephanie and Max own this thing. And really, what the hell ARE babies always staring at on the ceiling?

• Love 1

BTW: Where the heck is the lawn Older Son is supposed to be mowing located? Isn't this a Row House? There's no front lawn, and if there's a backyard at all, it's small enough that a weed wacker probably is all that's necessary.

They had a decent backyard that was shown on the original show, they had barbecue out there at least a few times.

I think the baby is probably looking at the boom mic and production things when he keeps looking up.

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 4

I really liked this episode too. It flowed better. 

I loved Janet, DJ's secretary, a lot. She was hilarious.

I liked Max a lot more this time around. He's been good, but I haven't always fallen in love with the obligatory 'weird little kid' like they're portraying him. Him with the dogs were super cute.

I think I like how everyone, even the guest stars, get a chance to be funny and they've actually hit some pretty good jokes. Like Darren, the guy from the coffee shop. I also have to applaud the fact that a lot of the love interests, like Kimmy's ex and Jackson's love interest, are not just the typical white love interests. It's progress to have interracial romance, sadly. 

Also, I have to throw this out there, but I'm really hoping they don't go there with Jackson and Ramona. A sitcom would go this direction to get them together, especially when they don't really like each other, and I am enjoying them being frenemies so much more. 

I also have to give credit for having Ramona not throw a tantrum after being punished. 

Tommy's still cute, but nothing super special. But him looking up at (presumably) the boom mic and other things is precious. 

• Love 4

I wasn't even gonna check out this show, but I'm glad I did. I watched the original years ago as a casual viewer and had fond memories of it, and I'm glad they've been able to pull this off so well. They've hit a good balance of nostalgia and good new elements thrown in. I love the choice of DJ, Stephanie and Kimmy and I think the actresses still have so much chemistry. I even like the new kids, specially Max!

I thought the first episode was kind of meh because they were trying so hard to throw references to the old show, but once the show moved on to the girls and their kids I've been really liking it. I hope it stays entertaining and light hearted.

Now, on a shallow note... damn, DJ grew up fine!

• Love 2

Now, on a shallow note... damn, DJ grew up fine!

<Insert Joke about Candace Cameron's "Clean Christian Living">

Hah.

Actually whatever her cray-cray beliefs, it's undeniable she's a looker. Add to that she's 40 in April. I'm not sure if DJ is supposed to also be almost 40 (unless the story had her hold off having kids), but Candace herself is.

I've seen exactly one scene of the doctor character and he already blows Steve out of the water by virtue of having a job and hair. I ship him with DJ so hard, but since this show is so hell bent on nostalgia and no one showing an ounce of character growth, Steve and DJ will probably be endgame.

Still absolutely no interest in the kids' subplots.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 3

Steve has hair, as thinning as it may be, and Steve is a podiatrist.  I think he is doing very well in the job department.

My bad, I forgot about the podiatrist thing. I think Steve just lowkey bugs me since they don't allow him to have a personality trait besides liking food. He's only one step above Kimmie's "whatever" boyfriend from the original series. If they fleshed him out a bit more I'd be onboard.

But then, I always liked Viper the best. Hoping they can dig that guy out of obscurity for an episode or two.

• Love 2

I thought this episode did a good job a tackling the issue of parents trying to be their kids friend instead of parent. I thought Kimmy arc of not punishing Ramona and actually rewarding her for her bad behavior until DJ stepped in was an good "lesson" story.

Jodie Sweetin continues to be the best thing about the show.

• Love 3

I really want to sit in a pen full of puppies.  

Tommy's still cute, but nothing super special. But him looking up at (presumably) the boom mic and other things is precious. 

This show, like the original, is very good at taking advantage of whatever the baby is doing and turning it into something really cute.