Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E15: An Old Friend Calls

When Klaus learns that Cortez, an old vampire with a vendetta against him, has arrived in New Orleans, he finds himself forced to deal with this new threat. Meanwhile, when Cortez begins threatening the lives of innocent residents, Vincent has no choice but to help the vengeful vampire in his plan to take down Klaus. Elsewhere, Marcel turns to Davina for her help after several Strix members turn up missing, and Elijah (Daniel Gillies) confronts Hayley after learning that she's been dealing with Jackson's death in a destructive way.

Promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbOiypK8h-Q

Finn is back. I didn't expect to see him yet. I thought maybe in the last few episodes of the season.

Well Kol tried lol honestly I believe he loves Davina and wants to try and be better. He did save her form Klaus.

Kol reuniting and working with his family was great. This is what I thought the show would be when it was first announced.

Still bored by Cami. It was nice to see Josh again.

• Love 2

I love how Cami lampshaded the fact that there was NO WAY IN HELL Aurora was going to stay bricked up and is trying to prepare for her, though there's also no way in hell that will actually end up working.

I also like the fact that Klaus just wasted Cortez right away, far too many villains on this and TVD just have one ridiculous excuse after another piled on to keep them from dying or gotten permanently rid of within the first episode they are in and far far too many episodes afterward, like a certain vampire hunter who shall remain nameless for instance, or Aurora.

So, no sire link, and now every enemy of Klaus is coming out of the woodwork to kill him now? What was stopping them back when they didn't even know that killing Klaus will kill off his sire line? I thought what was keeping him from getting killed was the fact that he's an unkillable badass Original Hybrid Vampire that could kill them all like a human could crush a colony of ants?

• Love 2

I also like the fact that Klaus just wasted Cortez right away, far too many villains on this and TVD just have one ridiculous excuse after another piled on to keep them from dying or gotten permanently rid of within the first episode they are in and far far too many episodes afterward, like a certain vampire hunter who shall remain nameless for instance, or Aurora.

So, no sire link, and now every enemy of Klaus is coming out of the woodwork to kill him now? What was stopping them back when they didn't even know that killing Klaus will kill off his sire line? I thought what was keeping him from getting killed was the fact that he's an unkillable badass Original Hybrid Vampire that could kill them all like a human could crush a colony of ants?

Exactly! I realize the writers had to make them vulnerable somehow or there is no fear or drama on their parts...but how about a half season with them not looking afraid when they see what is essentially a baby vamp? How about they just swat down people that try to kill them and prove they are badass again and find the drama somewhere else? Just for a little while. I'm seriously wondering about these scary originals who are consistently knocked out by witches and out maneuvered by literally EVERYONE. Including that nitwit Cami.

• Love 1
(edited)

I loved that episode, it felt so much more family/Originals.

Finn! I wasn't expecting that at all. So excited to see what his return does.

Loved the family scenes of them all together with Kol and Klaus kicking Davina out.

Kol back as a vampire! Oh Davina, you have mini Klaus on your hands with Kol being back as a vampire. I liked the bonding scene of him and Freya, hopefully she can ground him a bit. Kol seems to want to change.

I liked Hayley revenging Jackson and acknowledging she did wrong by him. She put Klaus's family drama ahead of Jackson and he died for it, for her. 

Klaus, Hope & Hayley on the run is interesting, especially since in TVD 3 years flash forward they said Klaus left town 3 years ago and nobody has seen him. So either he really doesn't return for  3 years and we're going to end up with a 3 years flash forward or that person is just compelled to say that.

No episode until April! Oh no. I'm so excited for the next episode.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 4

Overall I absolutely loved this and last week's episode. Seeing Kol and now Finn back in their original bodies is awesome. And Davina and Kol are hot together - although, does he have any inkling that she tried to kill both Klaus and Elijah? It`s surprising no-one mentioned that litle detail when the lovebirds showed p at the Mikaelson pad.

There was one false note though. I realise Klaus and Cami have to be kept apart for dramatic tension and all, but the way they did it seemed weak and contrived.

-First, I didn`t buy for one minute that Cami would worry that Klaus might still have feelings for Aurora,as it was beyond obvious that he hates and despises her.

-Secondly, although she`s right in saying that Aurora is bound to escape eventually, if she really wants rid of Aurora she should just have asked Klaus directly to finish her off. Klaus would do it for Cami, and it should also settle any lingering (baseless) questions about where his affections lie. Two birds, one stone.

For a fledgling vamp like Cami to try taking on Aurora is a ridiculous idea and entirely unnecessary.

I do love this show though - the characters are far more compelling for me than TVD`s.

Although I am glad that Klaus has been unlinked from his sire line, I loathe that it gives him a legitimate reason to wallow in his usual paranoia. I also detest how dismissive he is of Davina. Apparently only Klaus gets to decide when someone is privy to family discussions. You know, like when he just decided to include Hayley without consulting Elijah or Rebekah about it. And he didn't even say thank Davina for bringing Kol back.

So Kol is the new Damon/Angel/Spike, the former psycho killer who is going to try be a better man/vampire for his girlfriend. Great, I've never seen that before. In contrast, as much as I complain about Klaus, I gotta love that when Gaspar threatened to have everyone in the bar killed, Klaus went with the classic "shoot the hostage" strategy, despite knowing that Cami wouldn't like it. Never change, Klaus!

To be honest, when Gaspar first revealed his plan (that he compelled people in the bar to kill other people in the bar if Vincent/Cami/Klaus didn't comply), I laughed because of course Vincent and Cami are aghast at innocent people dying but Klaus gives NO FUCKS about anyone but his family being harmed in any way. When Gaspar said that a slaughter would draw attention to the vampires, I thought okay, maybe that will slow Klaus's roll a little bit, but nope! Gaspar obviously has no idea what Klaus is like if he thought that threat would be enough to make Klaus meek and obedient.

But once again, Klaus is an idiot. Why kill someone right away when you could torture them and talk them to death? I was so glad when he finally sliced Gaspar's head off.

Why didn't the ancestors want to tell Vincent where Aurora hid the white oak? Witches don't like vampires, so why wouldn't they want to help Gaspar kill Klaus? And then why did they relent later?

How did Freya not know how to do a locater spell before Kol showed her? Isn't that one of the starter spells every witch learns? Hell, Bonnie did it almost every week for a few seasons on TVD.

Hayley needs to STFU and have a seat. I understand that she wants revenge for Jackson's death, but torturing and killing EVERY Strix who was present when he was killed is a bit much. How many times has she watched Klaus, Elijah, or another Mikaelson kill someone? Is she responsible for every death she has witnessed? And I rolled my eyes when she said she has taken risks for Elijah in the past so she's sorry not sorry that avenging Jackson's death is inconvenient for him. Elijah is not concerned about the Strix protecting him from the white oak threat. He is concerned that Hayley is off the rails and that she is going to get herself killed, leaving poor Hope without a mother.

I also hate Hayley's self martyring attitude about Jackson/Elijah. Let me get this straight. Jackson knew you loved Elijah and now that Jackson is gone, you are going to punish yourself by not letting yourself be with Elijah. Okay then. It's no secret that I am not a Hayley/Elijah shipper and I'm more than glad to see her gone, even if it's only until the three year leap forward, but I still hate that denying herself happiness with Elijah is her way of dealing with Jackson's death and her guilt about not loving him first.

I was sure that the girl who Josh mentioned was still in Marcel's bathroom would end up being something important to the plot, but nope, just a passed out girl.

Seriously, Kol's solution to an empty blood bag is to go feed on some random chick in the street? How about just getting more blood bags? I do love Kol, mostly because he never hesitates to mouth off to Klaus. I loved when they were watching all the dots of Klaus's enemies begin to travel towards New Orleans and Kol said that Klaus should have been nicer to people or left fewer survivors (ahem, Aurora).

Huh, did we ever hear before that Kol suffers from minor ripper syndrom and lacks control of his bloodlust? I can`t remember that from his introduction back on TVD Season 3. He was depicted as someone rash and impulsive who loved the vamp lifestyle and didn`t have a care in the world. Like Damon but if Damon ever had splendid impulse control over anything, it was bloodlust.

Kol is acting like a noobie vamp now or how Stefan did early on in Season 1. I find that weird and contrived. Are they gonna do the "love of a good woman" story? Because he does appear to really care for Davina.

Cortez was such a non-starter, I`m happy Klaus killed him immediately.

I know they are horrible if you really think about it but I love the Mikealson family sticking together. Kol fit right in and already had a good dynamic with Freya. Speaking of, I especially love that Freya has truly been accepted as a sibling and her and Klaus are cute together.  

It was so obvious Cami was lying to Klaus and this was also just some contrived drama. Ironically, that is how he started hating Aurora, the telling him she didn`t care for him and that wasn`t even her fault in Aurora`s case. I wonder if the writers wanted to table the Klaus/Cami ship or this is just gonna be another stumbling block.

Or are they gonna back in some weird Klayley territory? 

The ancestors in NOLA are freaking stupid. The Bennett witch ancestors fiddled with Damon`s daylight ring and affected objects in our world all the time. Why did they nothing to help Vincent? Like smack Cortez around and phsyically keep his compelled victims in place? Witch powers are just so inconsistent.  

Overall, the episode was not as dynamic as last week`s but I will say that I think Season 3 of the Originals is MILES better than Season 7 of the mothership.

(edited)

They actually half-assed explained that this episode. They were all trying to kill him before and that's why he all but disappeared pre-TVD season 3 ---the same thing he and Hayley did at the end of this episode. He used a spell that made him impossible to track and just went into the wind. In TVD he really only came out-out because he had an opportunity to become the original Hybrid and most of the white oak Michael carried had been destroyed. And, to be fair, he was mostly confined to MF until it came out that killing one original killed all the vampires in their line. Then he went to Nola and hasn't exactly been hiding his presence (or the presence of his miracle baby), which is why come the end of the episode he, Hayley, and baby hope skipped town as a family unit.

Like I said last week, Davina severing his sire line didn't just put a target on his back, but his daughter's as well. Which is why I honestly don't understand why she went along with Kol to the Michaelson compound in the first place.

Edited by Gwen-Stacys

In S2 when Kol was dying he said"I actually preferred this go-round, being a witch. No heightened emotion, no bloodlust. It’s just me"  The first time Kol was daggered in Spain was because he had all those dead bodies around him he had drank and killed all of them. I think he did have a problem with it. 

• Love 2

Why didn't the ancestors want to tell Vincent where Aurora hid the white oak? Witches don't like vampires, so why wouldn't they want to help Gaspar kill Klaus? And then why did they relent later?

My guess is that the ancestors don't want to give that power to a vampire, even if Gaspar might (but would most likely fail to) kill Klaus. They did want Vincent to have it eventually, so they gave him the vision after Gaspar was dead.

Sorry, just popping in to ask: Has the three year time jump been confirmed for The Originals too?

On TVD, Caroline goes to New Orleans after the time jump and a bartender tells her that Klaus hasn't been seen for three years. So unless they plan to do the next 1-3 seasons of The Originals without Klaus (which would be fine with me, to be honest) or have a bunch of scenes of Klaus, Hayley, and Hope wherever they are hiding separated from Elijah, Freya, and Kol, then there will have to be some kind of time jump on The Originals.

have a bunch of scenes of Klaus, Hayley, and Hope wherever they are hiding separated from Elijah, Freya, and Kol, then there will have to be some kind of time jump on The Originals.

Oh, makes sense that the shows would be synced up in that way. I wonder when the jump will officially take place though, season finale? I'm curious to see if both TO and TVD are renewed.

And more nods to BTVS. "This time with feeling" = "Once more with feeling". Kol turns bad again just after sleeping with the teenage love of his life, lol. The huntress made with magic and the Armory/Initiative. I was too young to watch it when it aired but heard so much about it I watched the entire series a couple years back, ATS too. The parallels are very glaring.

Elijah and Kol were always my favorites. I never worry about Elijah, though. I hope Kol can find a way to make himself a witch again... If he doesn't become a regular I hope he can be a returning character. I just hope they don't kill him. Plec, I know you love killing Kol but have mercy on his fans! If they can bring in a new sister they can keep at least alive the brother so many of us love since you created the family. 

(edited)

I'm assuming he is since he died as a vampire in his original body.

Love the brotherly dynamic, how good was it when both Elijah and Kol dissed Klaus' 'favourite artistic retreat'.

Also, let's not forget Cortez talking about a message board/group chat for Klaus haters ha.

Edited by exodia
  • Love 3

mccartygirl, I would totally donate to a Kickstarter or Go Fund Me "please get rid of Cami" campaign! It annoys me that Vincent is so often saddled with her in scenes, he deserves better. 

Thank you thank you thank you for bringing us the deliciousness that is NB as Kol. I still can't totally buy it when a 1000 year old falls in love with a teenager but still loving that Kol is back and has been welcomed back to the family. And Finn returns too? I don't know what I've done to merit the return of TWO OG hotties but I'll keep doing it if it means keeping Kol and Finn on this show. :-) 

I feel like there has to got to be many many I-Hate-Klaus-Mikaelson-So-Much online forums/boards, not just the one Gaspar found. 

See ya, Klaus, annoying Hayley and cutie pie Hope! 

Special thanks to shirtless Nathaniel Buzolic.

And a shout-out to his trainer.  Dude's got some nice abs.  I was a little skeeved out by the age difference.  The actors are 32 and 21, but Danielle Campbell looks like the teen she's playing, and NB looks like a grown man.  A very nicely grown man.

Where the hell did Finn come from?  Accidental byproduct of Davina's resurrection spell?  I thought his soul was trapped in that necklace that Freya had.  Also, is that the same actor as when he first popped up on TVD?

I do hope Kol and Finn stick around for a while, at least until Rebekkah gets another guest appearance.  I can't wait for her snarky response to seeing them alive again.

I totally did not recognize Casper Zafer as Finn with short hair when he appeared on this show, I was so used to admiring his fine self with the long hair he sported as Finn on TVD.

So are they just going to keep Rebekah daggered for now?

I'm excited for the brother's return, but damn it makes me miss Rebekah.  This show is the Originals after all so I'm glad we are getting more than just Elijah and Klaus. 

I like Cami with Vincent.  I could kind of ship it too.  I wish they would do more with Vincent though. I feel like they keep saying how strong he is, especially now that he is Regent, yet they keep neutering him. 

I've decided I like Hayley best when she's not embroiled in Mikaelson family drama.  I'm also hoping that if she is gone for three years with Klaus, that they move on from Hayley/Elijah.  They just don't work for me.

(edited)

I don't understand why Rebekah is only ever around for such short periods of time. I really like the character and the actor and wish she was in every episode.

Claire Holt didn't want to be a regular anymore so they let her out of her contract. That's why she was able to do Aquarius. She also shot a movie on location in the Dominican Republic last year. Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

Okay, I was watching the return/reunion of Kol on Youtube and have some questions....

1. Why did his hand burn? I was sure on Vampire Diaries they made an allusion to The Originals being impervious to sunlight.

2. Why didn't Klaus just fly away with Hope instead of driving? Also on TVD but they showed Elijah to be incredibly fast in flight so why would Klaus take the car when he could just spirit her away much quicker and less visibly in the sky where no other mere vampire could catch him?

• Love 1