Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E06: 12 Chefs Compete

• Start Topic

Episode synopsis: The blue team gains a new member; the team that wins a grocery spelling challenge spends the day flying in a stunt plane, while the losing team makes sangria for dinner service; VIP dinner guests include Thomas Ian Nichols and Omar Benson Miller.

Yeah, the pizza parlor 'chef' a week out of some form of culinary school is a lock to run a kitchen. Or, they found another trashy little thug fighting for those decades of reliving her fifteen minutes all over north Jersey. When she started calling a team mate out like a twelve year old delinquent, I knew she wasn't going home yet.

Ariel, on the other hand, sort of stepped out of the pack on this one. I was tentatively impressed.

• Love 5

This show's long run it's course, I think. I've watched a few seasons on YouTube, and the first few I thought were good, but now it's just not. Contestants like Jackie and Monique last year were kept on long past their expiration dates purely because they made good television.

There are some really talented chefs, as there always are. From episode one, I seeded Dannie, Jared and Hassan as my top three (last year I picked T, Meghan and Milly, which was pretty good). I'm not so sure this year, though. Dannie started off as a contender, but really has declined in the past couple episodes. Jared could be a winner, but he does seem to alienate people on his team. Hassan's a bit erratic - sometimes he's really good, sometimes he's not. Ashley and Ariel will go far, and even though they're not the best chefs, I quite like Kristin and Manda too.

The rest are destined to go in the next few weeks. Chad's been good, but under the radar since day one, Joe's screwing up all over the place and Frank's attitude will eventually get the better of him. Manda's bound to go sometime soon, as is Jackie.

Top 6 predictions:

• Jared
  • Hassan
  • Ashley
  • Ariel
  • Dannie (maybe)
  • Chad (but he won't get much further)
  • Love 4

While Eddie is not an outstanding chef, I couldn't understand him getting the boot over "I've worked at a Michelin star restaurant" chef Chad. Gordon has practically kicked people in the teeth for serving up raw chicken, but Chad gets a pass? OK.

Something else I noticed is that Gordon usually mentions celebrities by their full name, but he referred to Omar Benson Miller (CSI: Miami) as "CSI: Miami star." Ouch.

• Love 2

...crickets...

I was so shocked when Jackie was saved I almost woke up.

Let me get this straight. We actually saw and heard her physically threaten another contestant (saying she ought to "break her face") and there were no repercussions?

That's a fire-able offense in any workplace.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 9

Jackie is a loudmouthed bullying sack of shit. She pulls this off knowing that the production crew will protect her from any appropriate retaliation for her abusive and threatening (legally actionable) behaviour. After the show is over I hope someone meets her in a dark alley and calls her bluff.

Edited by DoctorK
  • Love 9

Jackie is a loudmouthed bullying sack of shit. She pulls this off knowing that the production crew will protect her from any appropriate retaliation for her abusive and threatening (legally actionable) behaviour. After the show is over I hope someone meets her in a dark alley and calls her bluff.

Here's where you can tell this piece of trash what you think of her (although I bet she deletes negative comments on facebook and doesn't display anything against her on her twitter): 

https://www.facebook.com/chefjackiehk15/

https://twitter.com/ChefJackieHK15

Her place of employment: http://brixrestaurantnj.com

I've been to Belleville, NJ. It's not quite the ghetto or anything like that, but it's definitely kind of like Jackie... lower class. 

• Love 1

Funnily enough, all the articles about Jackie written when she was announced for the show - and her Fox bio - describe her as a former waitress who was just starting her first job out of culinary school as a line cook at a pizzeria. I guess the owner figures it's all publicity, but I wonder what the actual chef thinks.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

Each week it is painfully obvious that if there is a somewhat bland person up for elimination, against a drama provider, the blander person is getting the boot, no matter how good ( or in the case of most of this cast, passable) chef they are.

Last week I incorrectly stated Jackie was qualified to be the midnight grill cook at a Waffle House. I have to apologize. That would be an insult to midnight grill cooks at Waffle Houses everywhere , who actually can cook, and often do so under a little pressure. Jackie would have a hard time preparing a bowl of cereal, even if someone poured the milk for her. She just seems to enjoy showcasing herself as a classless jerk week after week, with absolutely no skills at all in a kitchen. If I was from Jersey I would be leading a drive to have her deported from the state, as she is an embarassment to anything related to New Jersey.

Joe, on the mens team, isn't much better. The guy would probably screw up a cup of ramen in the microwave, and then say something in his fake gangster persona. He is a slob, a terrible cook, and a poor excuse for an executive chef material. He also shows that he is only willing to do the bare minimum with his prep and presentation, which might work at a diner, but not a high end restaurant, like the one he purportedly aspires to run.

This show has become almost a satire. Once you realize that the funny scenes are what keeps us coming back, whether it is Gordon yelling "Get out" to an entire team, or punching a plate of poorly prepared food, or any of the other nonsense they focus on instead of cooking skills, you can enjoy this show. I enjoy shows where GR shows his softer side, and he teaches people, although it is fun to see his temper on occasion. However, he has no one but himself to blame for the poor quality services when he has a dozen incompetent, barely literate, trailer trash personalities working in a pressure filled competition. Might as well just grab a dozen random people off the street for next season.

There are really only 3-4 of these idiots that can even cook , and even then, it is not at a high level.

My prediction for the finale is Hassan, and either Ariel, or Jared, with Hassan the winner. But next time I'm in Vegas, none of them will cause me to visit BLT.

On a somewhat related note, I had no clue who any of the celebs were this week. The CSI guy spared no expense on his night out though, a tshirt and a zippered sweatshirt. He couldn't have put on something decent for a supposedly high end restaurant and being filmed? Each week I have to ask my wife who the hell somebody they pass off as a celeb actually is.

Edited by MajorWoody
  • Love 2

I think GR likely realizes that HK is just schtick.  If this was his only show you would have a hard time buying him as the caliber of chef he is....because, honestly, half of these people look like they just walked out of rehab, or their trailer.  Not a solitary one of them seems to make really high level food and they seem to get confused by simple tasks.  Its like Top Chef is at one end of the spectrum, and HK is at the completely other end of the spectrum.  And it just starts to look like "you CHOSE to work with these people?  What sort of chef are you?"    I think this is why GR does other shows that raise his profile as a chef, because he goes out of his way to work with chefs that seem much more classy....or at least a little less trashy.

• Love 4

He did an interview with the NYT where he basically said that he would never hire the 'donkeys' on his shows to cook in one of his restaurants.

https://player.fm/series/timestalks/nyt-timestalks-with-gordon-ramsay

I think Fox keeps his restaurants floating, and that's about it.

Wow, that is a pretty entertaining interview!  But I'm glad to hear him say that he realizes the people on HK are all a bunch of jokes, it makes me think more of him as a chef.

• Love 1

I thought the prize for one of the donkeys is that they get to cook in one of his restaurants and they get paid well for it.

The best thing to do is make sure there are two or so competent people surrounding all the donkey fodder and then boot off the donkeys one by one.

He did an interview with the NYT where he basically said that he would never hire the 'donkeys' on his shows to cook in one of his restaurants.

https://player.fm/series/timestalks/nyt-timestalks-with-gordon-ramsay

I think Fox keeps his restaurants floating, and that's about it.

He got those Michelin stars way before Fox. I think he can keep them going on his own.

I still enjoy the show. The seasons differ, so I enjoy some more than others, but I still like watching. Here's what gets me, though, I think most of the contestants apply in good faith - that is, they're cooks at varying levels, they think they're ready for the next step, and they want the experience of working with Ramsay, for however long. Those with some talent and savvy realize that even if they don't win, if they play their cards right, they can get a better job, maybe do a few events, etc.

So, it pains me when people who aren't really ready, but who try hard, get thrown off and start questioning themselves or realize that cooking at the local family restaurant is as far as they are going to go. I find the shows very interesting from a sociological perspective. Obviously I am spending too many of my limited brain cells thinking about this stuff. 

• Love 5

He got those Michelin stars way before Fox. I think he can keep them going on his own.

Actually, no. When he was having his troubles with his father in law, there was a real question whether he was going to be able to sustain his restaurants. One of the main things which brought them back into the black is Fox money.

• Love 2

I enjoy shows where GR shows his softer side, and he teaches people, although it is fun to see his temper on occasion. However, he has no one but himself to blame for the poor quality services when he has a dozen incompetent, barely literate, trailer trash personalities working in a pressure filled competition.

Exactly what I wanted to say but you already said it so I don't have to try to muddle through getting it out of my head and on to the page. Thank you. 

Watched this On Demand last night and turned to Mrs. Roo and said that I might be able to work with MasterChef Ramsey but me and Hell's Kitchen Ramsey would not suit.  The first time he yelled at me like he does or threw something past me I would either run crying out of the room or pick up something and launch it right back at him...."YOU piss off en I meeen it...sniff"

half of these people look like they just walked out of rehab

I DID say this and think it every time I see these people.  Have I just gotten spoiled to reality shows casting the pretty pretty people and am jarred by normal looking people or do they really look like they just stepped out of the meth house? 

• Love 1

I thought the prize for one of the donkeys is that they get to cook in one of his restaurants and they get paid well for it.

The best thing to do is make sure there are two or so competent people surrounding all the donkey fodder and then boot off the donkeys one by one.

I suspect that the prize is actually they get an "opportunity" for the "chance" of working at one of his restaurants...or something along those lines.  The semantics set so that its more at his discretion and not a guaranteed job.  I'm sure they have to give them the money (post taxes I'm sure)....and they keep them on for the following year so they can film segments with them as the "former winner."  I'm sure if they MUST work in one of GR's restaurants its exactly as you say, they surround the person with some of GR's more seasoned staff.

The job they end up getting is usually something like a line cook or whatever. 

I too was confused by Eddie going home so early. I really thought he was one of the few who had a shot of making it much farther than that. I'm shocked Ramsay didn't send him back in line or call Chad up in his place for the raw chicken. Since when does that get a pass?

I suspect Ramsay puts on most of his persona for this show. It's why people tune in. He has no involvement in choosing the finalists (I presume). He knows by now the finalists are going to be donkeys and it's his job to yell at them when they screw up.