Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: Part 1 Hide & Seek/S06.E14: Part 2 Murderjuana

Part 1

When Maura is abducted, nothing will stand in the way of Jane and the team bringing her home. Far away, Maura discovers a conspiracy that is bigger than just her kidnapping, with Jane as its ultimate target.

Part 2

A security guard foils a robbery when he kills one of the robbers, despite being wounded himself. Jane and Maura work together to solve the case after the search for the robber's accomplice raises some puzzling questions. Jane continues her quest to protect Maura and Angela. But is the price too high?

The line delivery on, "He was getting some of his mj on the street" was just delightful.

I turned to the cats and said, "Oh, gross" when Martinez showed up, but he wound up not bugging me as much this time.  I still don't want to see him again, mind you.

Other than that, I just have some nit-picky comments, so I want to watch again; I was glad to have the show back, but the episodes didn't really grab me (and two in a row didn't help; I couldn't take time to process the first one when the second started seconds afterward).  So I'll see how I feel after second viewing.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

I love how Korsak is so much more casual than the other cops when they go in to search a building.

Also, I have my suspicion of who else was involved in the kidnapping, but I don't have a way too spoiler tag things from my phone.

Yay, a senior criminals Chang sighting. I still miss her.

• Love 1

I haven't watched the second episode yet.  I wonder if Maura gave us a clue when she asked her kidnapper why her and not one of Jane's sisters.  Did I hear that right?  From his reaction, he didn't know that Jane had only brothers.

• Love 6

Yes, I think Maura was confirming to herself that the guy who had her was just a lackey and not the one who was targeting Jane. But unfortunately they didn't show us the part where she mentioned that to Jane. It seemed like Jane just figured it out on her own.

I was disappointed. I don't know why I get my hopes up that the show will write for Maura/Sasha Alexander. She's supposed to be one of the leads and except for the occasional Maura-centric episode she gets treated like a supporting character. Somewhere halfway through the second episode, after the umpteenth time Jane was asked how she was doing while Maura, the one who was kidnapped, never got asked, I sighed and gave up. Not that Jane didn't have great reason to be upset, but the show really made it all about Jane. Maura's side of it was basically handled via throwaway dialogue that she was seeing a therapist (which of course came up in the context of Maura urging Jane to seek counseling) and a few brief shots of her writing in her journal. God forbid we really get Maura's POV.

The show's always been unbalanced in favor of Jane, but in the early seasons that imbalance used to be only a small imbalance and was mainly the result of her having several family members as regular characters while Maura's only guested occasionally. Now it's extremely unbalanced. I'm relieved this show's end has been announced, because the magic is definitely gone for me.

I did really like Jane's nightmare with Susie Chang. That was creepy and effective and heartbreaking. Sob! I miss you, Senior Criminologist Chang!

• Love 2

I won't say I didn't like these two eps but they were far from my favorites. 

The first one was just boring. The scenes with Maura were interesting so of course there were only about three. I have much less patience for Jane angst than this show apparently believes in a good ep, so this one was just boring. It felt like every two seconds they went back to Jane when literally every other main character was more interesting. 

Kent really is weird squared but I like him a lot. I liked that he was willing to do whatever they would let him do as long as he got to help. He seems like a decent  guy who cares about Maura. My Nina love continues to grow. I still want her and Frankie to be secretly dating.

The tone was off for me with the second ep. Everyone telling Jane to stop worrying was just stupid. I wouldn't be okay with her sneaking into my house at night to sleep on my couch or putting cameras all over without telling me either. But those should have been addressed as the boundary issues they were, not by saying Jane should just stop worrying. I was disappointed that Maura handled it so badly. At least she went to a therapist immediately. It would have  been very OOC for not to IMO. Otherwise, my lack of patience with Jane's angst is severely undercutting my sympathy with her, even when I know I should be on her side. I don't know if Angie Harmon's portrayal is just not connecting with me or if there are just too many scenes and shots of Jane Being Worried, but I'm over it.

I did like Jane's therapist though, and she really should give Martinez a call. Dude is hot and the way he was with her this ep? Jump on that Jane.

Everything about the marijuana scene was gold. I could not stop giggling with them and the stupid jokes were awesome. I was already laughing at Kent's serious shhh gesture then Maura said whatever it was about MJ on the street, and I had to rewind to watch it again. I laughed when Jane told her sarcastically she'd been the picture of decorum because yes, slapping Kent on the butt and swaying around on your high heels while you giggle is absolutely the picture of professional, composed behavior. More humor please, even if it is the random weirdness of Kent's 'Kent from Kent' rambling.

• Love 3

So, no one else has noticed that, after having her hair chopped off by a madman, it's miraculously long again? Six inches in a matter of weeks? That's a year's worth of growth! Continuity anyone?

Maybe extensions are part of her therapy? :-)

I haven't watched the second episode yet.  I wonder if Maura gave us a clue when she asked her kidnapper why her and not one of Jane's sisters.  Did I hear that right?  From his reaction, he didn't know that Jane had only brothers.

That may have been what Maura was going after. But the phone conversation was a much bigger tell. That's what Maura mentioned to Jane at the end when she said it wasn't over. Jane suspected he had help from inside the department, but I'm not sure she suspected he was just a flunky until he had nothing substantial to say to her when he was dying, and after what Maura said about the phone call.

I'm guessing that since Jane knew the atoms joke, that was Maura's, but the Chemis-tree joke was originally Kent's (told to Maura, then Maura told to Jane). Or maybe Maura, correctly viewing the atoms one as a better joke, only ever tells that one.

• Love 1

"Hide and Seek" was utterly predictable, in part because showrunner Jan Nash Facebooked a photo of Sasha and Joe Harris in costume BTS last July.  Why?  Speaking of Jan Nash, she has such a huge crush on Angie Harmon that it's almost embarrassing.  Just look at photos of the two of them: Angie smiles patiently, Jan looks blissful.  

"Murderjuana" had two characters with the same last name ("Johnson"), confusion about whether Otis was dead or alive, and Jane shooting a Taser at the bad guy from far, far away.  I was glad to see Maura and Jane sitting on Maura's sofa and talking at the end.  But, gee, they used to hug.  No more.

The jokes were awfully ancient.  I'm 70 and was familiar with all of them.  But I didn't understand about "glazed donuts" until younger folks pointed to Urban Dictionary.   

That's part of the problem I have with R&I (though I can't stop watching): it's trying to please several audiences at once, leaving many confused and resentful.  Just enough nudge-nudge wink-wink for the shippers, safe and silly jokes for the straight Facebook crowd, a "love interest" for those who want Jane with a man, and Angela's mild profanities.

It could have been so much more, but not with Nash.

• Love 1

So, no one else has noticed that, after having her hair chopped off by a madman, it's miraculously long again? Six inches in a matter of weeks? That's a year's worth of growth! Continuity anyone?

It looked to me like her ep14 hair was shoulder length, which is consistent with where Dr. Crazypants hacked it. While she was constrained, she had some decent length on the ponytail beyond her shoulders.

High Maura made me laugh.

• Love 1

Just finished watching the second episode, and I enjoyed both. My expectations for this show aren't very high so this is strictly surface entertainment for me, I don't look too deep into it. Although I would still love to find out that Nina and Frankie have been secretly banging all over his apartment like a screen door in a hurricane. He needs to stop looking at her all soft and knowing and shit, and she needs to quit giving him that 'I've seen you nekkid' sex smile, dammit! :-)

I did love high Maura. And I like Jane and fine ass Amaury, I don't even care.

The lab tech guy - sometimes I like the weird little fucker and sometimes he makes twitchy. Like, secret bad guy twitchy. The first episode, he made me twitchy but I liked him in the second. We'll see how that shakes out.

• Love 3

I have much less patience for Jane angst than this show apparently believes in a good ep, so this one was just boring. It felt like every two seconds they went back to Jane when literally every other main character was more interesting. 

(snip)

Otherwise, my lack of patience with Jane's angst is severely undercutting my sympathy with her, even when I know I should be on her side. I don't know if Angie Harmon's portrayal is just not connecting with me or if there are just too many scenes and shots of Jane Being Worried, but I'm over it.

Yup, and I think the thing I'm crankiest about is that since the storyline didn't get wrapped up in this doubleheader, we'll probably have to deal with huge doses of Jane-pain for the rest of the season. And of course when whoever is behind all this and why is exposed, she'll have angst about that, and she'll probably get shot or something in the showdown as the cliffhanger, and she'll have angst about that in S7...sigh.

But on a positive note: I liked that Maura basically rescued herself. Yeah, Jane and Korsak found her, but she'd already gotten away from her captor and slashed him up in the bargain. I refuse to believe she wouldn't have figured out how to get out of the tunnel eventually. The fact she hadn't already, I'll put down to the shock and stress and probable dehydration.

Edited by Black Knight
  • Love 2

I refuse to believe she wouldn't have figured out how to get out of the tunnel eventually. The fact she hadn't already, I'll put down to the shock and stress and probable dehydration.

And what this had done to her couture.....

• Love 2

I'm not surprised the show is so Jane-centric, that's kind of how the books are.  Maura isn't even in the first book and I think, of all the books maybe two or three were Maura-centric, and one of those books sucked big time.  

But in the first episode when Maura slashed that guy's throat, if the blood sprayed on the wall, I would think he would have been bleeding so profusely that he would have either passed out or died, certainly not gotten off a few shots.

• Love 1

There were a few funny Korschak lines that I'm not willing to rewatch to get. If anyone caught them, please post, because I thought they were funnier than any of the marijuana stuff.

I thought the presentation of therapy was well done, showing progress in conquering prejudice about mental health issues on TV in general.

Both the guy in the park walking away and Jane taking the jar with the rocks and the water away were nice visuals that worked way better than PSAs.

And Angela wasn't too annoying. I liked the way they just had her describe the different sandwiches for the different characters rather than spend screen time having her head shrink the characters.

I mostly slept through the first episode. That's what we were supposed to do, right? </sarcasm>

As someone mentioned upthread, at least Maura saved herself rather than being a damsel in distress, so progress there too for TV depictions of that sort.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Wow, I don't know why I watch this show sometimes.

That episode with Maura being kidnapped was SUCH shit. What a bag of bad cop show cliches.

Oh... it even had Jane going on a tactical raid wearing boots with 3 inch heels.  Good lord.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1