Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

I didn't find that at first, I think it's the Phoenix New Times? Just skimmed it so far but the chronology I saw refers only to the time between his conviction and his pardon. I was hoping it was about his entire term in office, and documenting when he started to curdle.

Yeah it is Phoenix New Times, sorry. The Twitter handle is that name all one word. They have "pinned" a tweet on top which, if you click on, will take you to a multiple tweet thread linking to all their old articles on him. They do go back to before the conviction.

As for Barnicle's use of the term "concentration camp" I don't think the term only refers to death camps, I think it refers to camps where people are herded into tiny spaces under horrific conditions. If that's the operative definition then I don't think Barnicle was wrong. 

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Exactly. But the conditions in the tents and the jails were pretty horrendous. Not concentration camp horrendous, but also not basic human needs. Spoiled food, sleeping on the ground, outside in 107 degree heat, etc. 

Early in his administration Arpaio said, re criticism of the tents, "Our soldiers in Iraq are sleeping in tents and it's 120 degrees over there." These many years later it's still 120 degrees and ditto with dirty water, sleeping on the ground and substandard food (outside the wire) during 3rd, 4th and 5th deployments. Arpaio is guilty as hell and deserves to be punished, no doubt about it, but sometimes he spoke the truth. Before he curdled. Today's refugee camps in Europe and the Middle East differ from concentration camps only in that the residents are not systematically slaughtered by the state. (I just realized that I screwed up by posting here and if I wasn't 15 minutes late in getting out the door I would move this to the Small Talk thread but I do need to gallop. Apologies to MyAimIsTrue ! Maybe I can get by with doing it later ... )

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Mmtx2002 said:

guess, though, that as a woman I also like to see "real" women too sometimes, without all the makeup.  And I found the picture refreshing in that way.

I'm a woman who is completely comfortable being in public without makeup (I actually prefer it that way) and I agree with your assessment.   It's refreshing and real.

• Love 7

Mika & Joe are spending more time on Hurricane Harvey than I thought they would. Kudos!

I just got back from 8 days vacation and turn on the show to find them covering real issues (Texas).  I was, albeit ashamedly, dissapointed that they weren't bashing Trump.

• Love 3

Hey Pete Sessions! Guess it's a good thing Texas didn't secede from the US, huh?  

I guarantee this fucker would vote yes on any bill that gets money to Texas for hurricane/flood relief. He is so full of shit it's coming out of his mouth. 

I bet your Freedom Caucus "dear friends" loved you stabbing them in the back this morning. 

• Love 4

Clarification on the "pork" in the Sandy Relief bill Sessions & Joe discussed this morning.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/08/then_and_now_the_texas_lawmakers_asking_for_aid_af.html

"The "pork" was relief aid for Hurricane Isaac victims. At the time, in an effort to court votes, Democrats broadened some of their bill's provisions to cover damage from Hurricane Isaac, which struck the Gulf Coast earlier that year. A provision was added to the $2.9 billion allotted to Army Corps of Engineers projects to reduce future flooding risks. The coverage area for that program included areas hit by Isaac in addition to Sandy. Democrats also shifted $400 million into a community development program for regions suffering disasters, beyond areas struck by Sandy."

So maybe Joe would like to retract his statement this morning? And Sessions can still kiss my ass. 

Hope it's okay to post this since it was discussed and is the actual fact instead of Sessions' bullshit.  Instead of making it sound like it was for a ferris wheel in Chuck Schumer's back yard. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

I just got back from 8 days vacation and turn on the show to find them covering real issues (Texas).  I was, albeit ashamedly, dissapointed that they weren't bashing Trump.

I think it's OK in light of the circumstances to avoid the usual President Villain bashing.

On 26/08/2017 at 6:42 PM, cased said:
On 26/08/2017 at 6:16 PM, Ohwell said:

Poor Jonathan Capehart, having to dance with Mika.  It's hard to dance with someone who doesn't have a sense of rhythm and can't keep up with the beat.  They can throw you off.

I will never criticize anyone's dancing, because I am probably the world's worst dancer.

Hey!  She dances better than I do!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, suomi said:

I didn't find that at first, I think it's the Phoenix New Times? Just skimmed it so far but the chronology I saw refers only to the time between his conviction and his pardon. I was hoping it was about his entire term in office, and documenting when he started to curdle.

suomi, I believe this tweet neatly sums up Arpaio (it's pinned at the top of their Twitter feed) and it's brutal and unfortunately probably true:

Edited by Chloesmom
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

suomi, I believe this tweet neatly sums up Arpaio (it's pinned at the top of their Twitter feed) and it's brutal and unfortunately probably true:

Thank you for linking that. Everyone who voted for him after his first term is complicit. So is the legislature/the judiciary. The saddest and most nauseating part is that they're not ashamed of him, or of themselves. What the fuckety fuck? Kudos to MJ for spreading the word.

• Love 3

Tuesday Recap.

Joe is wearing a navy suit with a striped red tie. Mika is wearing a black v neck top. Mika must have had a shot of expresso this morning because she is reading the teleprompter at a fast clip stumbling over her words.

Joe is bashing President SuperVillain over Moscow. Joe said everyone lied about Russia. Trump wanted to build a hotel in Moscow during the campaign. Joe is in a aggressive mood today. It will be one of those days. Watch out panelists! Prepare to be shouted & interrupted.

Houston is flooded. Joe doesn't care. He's hyped over an email from Chen to a Russian.

Trump fired a low level staffer  over advance crowd size?. This is a huge story for Mika.

Joe said Trump didn't think he would win, so he used the campaign to get a hotel built in Russia.

I think it's ridiculous to be focusing on this while the 4th largest city is under water.

Halperin said Trump will purge himself on Mueller.

Joe said he knew it all along because he didn't criticize Putin on Morning Joe.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, oakville said:

Barnicle used the term concentration camp.

I understand that Arpaio allowed harsh conditions at camps that housed illegal immigrants. However, when I think of concentration camps, I think of Nazi Concentration camps where people being gassed & starved to death. I am pretty sure that is not allowed in Arizona.

Arpaio was the one who called them concentration camps. I've seen video of it, and he was very smug and smiling when he said it. Barnacle and others aren't making up the shit about him.

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, shok said:

Arpaio was the one who called them concentration camps. I've seen video of it, and he was very smug and smiling when he said it. Barnacle and others aren't making up the shit about him.

You can call the camps whatever term you like. However, the conditions in Arizona were not equal to the mass murders that occurred at Aushwitz during World War 2.

Barnicle used the term for shock value.

57 minutes ago, Eliot said:

I think Mika needs glasses. She seems to struggle reading the TelePrompTer.

It's hilarious when she mocks Trump for mixing up the two blond Finnish journalists yet stumbles over similar words on a TelePrompTer. She has been reading TelePrompTer for at least 20 years.

• Love 1

When Senator Murphy said "unhinged leader",  I thought he was talking about fat ass.

If fat ass purges himself of Mueller, I hope all hell breaks loose.  The republicans have to have a conscience, I would think.  Or is all of that just what Halperin is wishing for?

Edited by stormy
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, oakville said:

You can call the camps whatever term you like. However, the conditions in Arizona were not equal to the mass murders that occurred at Aushwitz during World War 2.

Barnicle used the term for shock value.

Why don't you do some research on what a concentration camp is before you make such pronouncements. Wikipedia is an easy place to start. The UK had concentration camps of POWs. The US had concentration camps of Japanese Americans,

• Love 1

I think Mika needs glasses. She seems to struggle reading the TelePrompTer.

Mika needs to dial the dark eye shadow/liner back to eleven. Yesterday I actually thought she had glasses on and it was just her eye make up.

Oh and Mika? The Clintons "opened the door for Trump to pardon Arpaio" with whatever they did?  Really? That's your standard? Somebody else did it?  Okay, the Rich pardon stunk. But I guess Trump's shenanigans in his first two marriages opened the door for Joe to divorce two wives and hook up with a younger "hotter" woman. 

TWIST! 

That's like me saying - hey the person who held my position previously stole office supplies and lied on her expense report so I'm going to do it too . 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 12
48 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

Why don't you do some research on what a concentration camp is before you make such pronouncements. Wikipedia is an easy place to start. The UK had concentration camps of POWs. The US had concentration camps of Japanese Americans,

I think we all know the strict definition of concentration. How are the US internment of Japanese Americans and the UK internment of POWs in any way comparable to the horrors of Auschwitz, et al? Internment and extermination are vastly different intentions/outcomes. What was allowed to happen in AZ is no comparison either. Scandal does not equal genocide.

Edited by suomi
  • Love 3

I'm not saying they are comparable. I an just saying the term "concentration camp" means just what it says, a camp where a large number of people are incarcerated in a concentrated space. Barnicle didn't compare Arpaio's prisons to Auschwitz, nor has anyone here. But it doesn't mean that Arpaio's prisons weren't civil rights and human rights nightmares.

• Love 6

Oh, please. I already said that we are aware of the strict definition of concentration. We get it, whether it's people or orange juice. When they hear "concentration camp," 9 out of 10 people (more like 10 out of 10, actually) will think "WWII, Nazis, 6 million Jews and 6 million mentally ill, mentally retarded, homosexuals, Gypsies/Romani systematically exterminated." Barnicle, the plagiarist who is regularly disparaged here, is now a credible spokesperson? He said it for shock value. His reference overstated and inflated the shit done by Arpaio and he did it intentionally.

Edited by suomi
punctuation
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Oh and Mika? The Clintons "opened the door for Trump to pardon Arpaio" with whatever they did?  Really? That's your standard? Somebody else did it?  Okay, the Rich pardon stunk. But I guess Trump's shenanigans in his first two marriages opened the door for Joe to divorce two wives and hook up with a younger "hotter" woman. 

To be fair to Joe, Mika is hardly a younger woman. She is 4 years younger than Joe, which is  probably a similar age to Joe's previous wife, and is a very age appropriate relationship.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Mika needs to dial the dark eye shadow/liner back to eleven. Yesterday I actually thought she had glasses on and it was just her eye make up.

Oh and Mika? The Clintons "opened the door for Trump to pardon Arpaio" with whatever they did? Really? That's your standard? Somebody else did it?  Okay, the Rich pardon stunk. But I guess Trump's shenanigans in his first two marriages opened the door for Joe to divorce two wives and hook up with a younger "hotter" woman. 

TWIST! 

That's like me saying - hey the person who held my position here at work stole office supplies and lied on her expense report so I'm going to do it too . 

100 likes!

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, suomi said:

Oh, please. I already said that we are aware of the strict definition of concentration. We get it, whether it's people or orange juice. When they hear "concentration camp," 9 out of 10 people (more like 10 out of 10, actually) will think "WWII, Nazis, 6 million Jews and 6 million mentally ill, mentally retarded, homosexuals, Gypsies/Romani systematically exterminated." Barnicle, the plagiarist who is regularly disparaged here, is now a credible spokesperson? He said it for shock value. His reference overstated and inflated the shit done by Arpaio and he did it intentionally.

Thanks Suomi for explaining clearly what I meant. Arpaio is a. Bad hombre. I don't know why he didn't provide proper facilities for the immigrants detained.

why was he reelected if this was happening?

I have yet to see any evidence that Arpaio ran the camps like Auswhitz.

20 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

To be clear - this is "sarcasm". 

Isnt Mika older than Joe first 2 wives?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mumbles said:

Did the USA internment camps kill as many Japanese Americans as the Germans did during World War 2?

1 hour ago, suomi said:

"The word TelePrompTer, with internal capitalization, originated as a trade name used by the TelePrompTer Company, which first developed the device in the 1950s."

It auto-corrected to that spelling.

• Love 1

Watching The Breakfast Club and laughing so hard I'm crying. Because when they first start dancing in the library after copping a buzz ... the basket case/Ally Sheedy does a move like Mika was trying for in that clip where she was dancing with Jonathan Capehart. One arm raised and spinning, with her head reacting to the centrifugal force? Mika was born in '67 so she was 18 when that movie came out. So, am I on to something, or what? Ha ha ha ha ha ha. Dy ing here. (PS: Joe can't remove this post. Suck it up, buttercup.)

• Love 1

I'm going to start calling Mika, "Both Sides Mika," since she insists on blaming Democrats and, particularly, the Clintons for Trump's behavior. She made two comments this morning that makes me say that, but I only remember one well. She literally blamed Trump's pardoning of Joe Arpaio on Clinton's pardoning of Marc Rich, as if 1) they were the exact same situation; 2) as if Trump has no independent will and cannot be held responsible for his own decisions; and 3) as if there haven't been any other presidents who've granted pardons. Not to say that I agree with what Clinton did, but neither Trump -- nor anyone else -- should be able to get away with making the "both sides" argument in order to excuse this awful man's reprehensible behavior.

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, suomi said:

Susan is two years younger than Mika but - depending on the eye of the beholder - Mika is hotter. (And evidently Joe agrees with that assessment.)

Susan was on the show one day when they were taping at a restaurant in Alabama or Florida. Mika went up to Joe's youngest son & fluffed up his hair. Susan was not Happy with Mika that day. 

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, oakville said:

Susan was on the show one day when they were taping at a restaurant in Alabama or Florida. Mika went up to Joe's youngest son & fluffed up his hair. Susan was not Happy with Mika that day. 

Awkward.

24 minutes ago, ButterQueen said:

I just watched the "Mika gets braces" clip, and loved it.  Mika is clueless, and Joe's laugh is contagious.  I loved when he called her Cindy Brady.  ???

I loved that one too. I wish they were like that every day, for at least part of the show. He has been infatuated with her for a long long time.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Again with the hair. I just noticed that in your post.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, suomi said:

Awkward.

I loved that one too. I wish they were like that every day, for at least part of the show. He has been infatuated with her for a long long time.

I think there's a few reasons that they have been acting seriously lately:

1) With all the serious stuff going on lately (Trump, Korea, floods, etc.) there is not really a lot of space for lighthearted behavior

2) It appears that they are trying to keep their personal relationship separate from the show to the extent that they can

3) A lot of the very flirty behavior from years past was probably due to the fact that they could not act on their attraction (or they could only act on it within limitations). Now that they can be together openly as much as they want, they are acting much more like a normal couple

• Love 3
2 hours ago, suomi said:

Again with the hair. I just noticed that in your post.

Mika did an in depth examination of Trumps hair on one episode. She put her hands through it. She determined that it was real.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, oakville said:

How would you know whether Susan was unhappy with Mika that day or not? Did Susan tell you all about it?

OH MY GOD, Noah Rothman needs to leave my tv immediately and never, ever, come back. He is the epitome of smug awfulness.

Oh, look, there's Chris Christie, back in the fold. It is funny to see how much EVERYONE hates Ted Cruz.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, shok said:

How would you know whether Susan was unhappy with Mika that day or not? Did Susan tell you all about it?

No I did not meet with Susan, but I remember the look on her face when Mika went over to the booth where Susan Scarborough with her  youngest boy. She put her hands through his hair. It was weird. It's too bad I don't have access to posts on TWOP. I did do a recap that day.

• Love 1

OH MY GOD, Noah Rothman needs to leave my tv immediately and never, ever, come back. He is the epitome of smug awfulness.

Yeah all this time I've been thinking the KKK is a hate group, but he's explained to us the correct word is "transgressive."

• Love 1

Wednesday Recap. Mika's pink scarf is back. Mika is wearing a royal blue top. Carol Lee is also wearing a royal blue top. Joe is wearing his navy blue sweater with a red polo shirt underneath. Confessore & Noah are also on the panel.

The show opened with a clip of Trump shouting words of encouragement in Corpus Christi. Joe immediately complained about the product placement of him wearing his white USA baseball hat.

The panel is furious that Trump did not show empathy for the victims. There is supposed to be a picture of him hugging a flood victim. He did wave a Texas flag.

Carol Lee said you are supposed to mention the number of dead.

He will go back to Texas on Saturday & get a second chance to give a proper.

Joe said he was happy when Clinton visited Pensacola after a hurricane.

• Love 1

Barnicle is complaining about Trump's lack of empathy. Joe said Trump wants good ratings.

Noah defended Trump for not going into the flooded water. He would be blamed for exploiting the victims for publicity shots.

Joe complained about Obama refusing to visit the Gulf Coast during the BP spill. Joe said a Presidential visit gets the bureaucracy will act on helping Texas.

Mika is bashing Trump for not being human & empathetic. Joe doesn't like Mika finishing his sentences. Joe said Trump should not promote his caps. They didn't show the clip of asking people to buy his cap.

Joe is mad at the Arpaio pardon.

• Love 2