Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, ButterQueen said:

Joe opened the show discussing "that song"........"total eclipse of the sun".....by Carly Simon.  I think he meant "total eclipse of the heart .... by Bonnie Tyler.  ????. 

Loved when his phone dinged and Joe said, that's Mika telling me to start talking.  Now that was genuinely funny.  ????

Halperin is an ass.  He doesn't care about the eclipse.....ugh!  Go back to bed.

I have to set my DVR earlier than 6 am . Joe never does proper introductions of the other panelists. The random discussion of Carly Simon songs confused me.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

If you had any doubt about the intellectual (and actual) bankruptcy of the Democratic establishment, all you need to see is the last segment with that weasel Congressman. First he attempts to rationalize the fundraising gap between the GOP and the Dems by assuring that the SuperPACs are doing fine. Oh, okay then. Then he offers Bob Casey and Tim Kaine as strong contenders in 2020. 

And Bret Stephens can suck a fattie for classifying the Democrstic left as "Elizabeth Warren and a bunch of Harvard professors."  Look at the crowd who rallied against hatred in Boston. All races, ages, economic classes represented. 

That pissed me off big time. I was all, "Why isn't he pushing back on this ridiculous bullshit? Bret Stephens is the easiest target in the world!"

• Love 2

Utterly despicable this morning.   After all the breathless horror expressed during the Charlottesville fiasco and its aftermath, Scarborough and his bozos gamely praised Trump for his Afghanistan speech and did their part to assist in putting Charlottesville in the rear view mirror and on the road to being forgotten.  

• Love 7

Mr. Somber Speech looks like a robot.

Threaten Pakistan!  War forever!  The republican establishment cheers!

And he's running for reelection.  Historians, amongst us, is this what all presidents do seven months into the first term?

After 20 minutes of the BS and snooze fest, I turned the channel.

• Love 3

Tuesday Recap. Joe is wearing a snappy light blue blazer. Mika is off. For the first time in months, Joe did not insult President Trump in the first bloc. There was a discussion about Afghanistan. There will be more troops going there. They don't want a repeat of Iraq. The theory is that when Obama took the troops out of Iraq, the government couldn't control the rise of Isis & Al Queda. They have destabilized Iraq. Joe blamed Obama for the mess.

Now, Trump is listening to the Generals. They want better control of Afghanistan. There will be a carrot & sticks strategy with Pakistan. Russia is helping the Taliban.

Everyone on the panel was happy that Trump acted Presidential & asked proper questions in the meetings with the Generals.

Joe said Trump was reasonable & thoughtful.

This is reminiscent of Trump behaving appropriately in Syria for a few days in April by bombing them.

Joe took some shots at Breitbart & Bannon for wanting to walk away from Afghanistan.

Joe did make a light comment about Trump not wearing glasses & looking into the sun during the eclipse.

• Love 2

Admiral Stavridis takes the cake for optimism this morning, saying that NATO can/will send 4000 troops to Afghanistan because Europe has 2 million in uniform. Stavridis said he operated his theater with a 2:1 ratio of US and NATO troops so 2000 troops is a more realistic expectation. But after the way T has shown Europe/NATO his ass? Probably not.

7 minutes ago, oakville said:

Joe did make a light comment about Trump not wearing glasses & looking into the sun during the eclipse.

He's already blind so no harm, no foul.

• Love 8

Scarborough deepens his immersion in hypocrisy by sharing his playbook for how Trump can sway the Obamacare holdout senators to sign on to his plan.  

Hey, asshole!   The plan that failed by one vote was the "skinny repeal" which would have left MILLIONS without healthcare.   At the time when it appeared it might pass, you were Mr. Social Conscience, clucking your tongue and saying how horrible it was for the Republicans to do that to people. 

But today, on what is apparently Day 1 of your "Take Me Back, Donald" campaign, you're all "Hey, here's exactly how the President can get the holdouts to back him and repeal Obamacare.  You listening, Donald?  Take notes, k?"

Just last week, Scarborough was saying that anyone on Trump's team who continued to work with him was complicit in white supremacy and racism.

What does that make you this week, Scarborough, as you bloviate about all your wonderful ideas on how Trump can hold on to the Presidency and get things done?

Edited by millennium
  • Love 10
15 minutes ago, oakville said:

Now, Trump is listening to the Generals. They want better control of Afghanistan. There will be a carrot & sticks strategy with Pakistan. Russia is helping the Taliban.

Incredibly, they deny (or are unaware of) the meme "Afghanistan - where nations go to die." Joe would sing a different tune if his sons were on the line.

4 minutes ago, millennium said:

I think the answer is that Scarborough simply MUST be the smartest boy in the room, regardless that it makes him appear to be a feckless hypocrite and opportunist.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! Post of the day!

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, millennium said:

Scarborough deepens his immersion in hypocrisy by sharing his playbook for how Trump can sway the Obamacare holdout senators to sign on to his plan.  

Hey, asshole!   The plan that failed by one vote was the "skinny repeal" which would have left MILLIONS without healthcare.   At the time when it appeared it might pass, you were Mr. Social Conscience, clucking your tongue and saying how horrible it was for the Republicans to do that to people. 

But today, on what is apparently Day 1 of your "Take Me Back, Donald" campaign, you're all "Hey, here's exactly how the President can get the holdouts to back him and repeal Obamacare.  You listening, Donald?  Take notes, k?"

Just last week, Scarborough was saying that anyone on Trump's team who continued to work with him was complicit in white supremacy and racism.

What does that make you this week, Scarborough, as you bloviate about all your wonderful ideas on how Trump can hold on to the Presidency and get things done?

This is a classic Morning Joe tactic. Joe likes to pretend that his viewers have amnesia. Stavridis said there are no good options in Afghanistan, but a modest increase in troops is the best of 3. Nato will contribute an extra 2000 troops.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, suomi said:

Incredibly, they deny (or are unaware of) the meme "Afghanistan - where nations go to die." Joe would sing a different tune if his sons were on the line.

Precious few of the punditry have children in the military, or are dependent on the ACA, or rely on Medicare, Medicaid or Social Security, or have trouble paying their bills every month.    Yet THEY feel qualified to preach about what's good for all the little people.

• Love 5

This would have been a good show to play clips of Dr Z's advice. Dr Z began the strategy of training the mujahaden in the 1970's.

After 645 am, its back to Trump rallies in Phoenix. Joe said it a bad idea because Flake & Mccain don't like him.

Josh Earnest can't figure out why Trump is going back to his playbook.

12 minutes ago, millennium said:

Precious few of the punditry have children in the military, or are dependent on the ACA, or rely on Medicare, Medicaid or Social Security, or have trouble paying their bills every month.    Yet THEY feel qualified to preach about what's good for all the little people.

Very well said! Yesterday, Joe was demanding entitlement reform on Social Security in exchange for raising the debt ceiling.

• Love 1

Yesterday, Joe was demanding entitlement reform on Social Security in exchange for raising the debt ceiling.

Why is simply raising the cap on SS payroll deductions never even a consideration for these assholes? Honestly. I blew through mine in July and never even noticed. Ridiculous.

The theory is that when Obama took the troops out of Iraq, the government couldn't control the rise of Isis & Al Queda. They have destabilized Iraq. Joe blamed Obama for the mess.

The "mess" was inevitable the moment we invaded, and if we had had honest and prudent leadership at the time they would have acknowledged that. We can be there 1,000 years (which, at this rate, seems likely) and there will always be an ISIS waiting to rise up the moment we leave.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, millennium said:

A few weeks ago when Dunkirk came out, Joe tweeted that kids today have no concept of sacrifice. They waste time playing video games. People tweeted back that neither he nor any of his kids have volunteered for military service. Joe sheepishly had to thank the veterans for their service.

It was very sad that Joe & the panel said that the goal was not to win in Afghanistan but just keep it stable enough so Isis or Al Queda reappear

1 hour ago, Eliot said:

Why is simply raising the cap on SS payroll deductions never even a consideration for these assholes? Honestly. I blew through mine in July and never even noticed. Ridiculous.

The "mess" was inevitable the moment we invaded, and if we had had honest and prudent leadership at the time they would have acknowledged that. We can be there 1,000 years (which, at this rate, seems likely) and there will always be an ISIS waiting to rise up the moment we leave.

Agreed. Joe never brings up raising the payroll cap or taxing back benefits of higher income retirees.

• Love 4

Scarborough and I are the same age.  The musical choices used for going in and out of segments reflect my own tastes nearly perfectly (probably because we were both teens at the same time).   I have always thought that similarities in musical taste indicate a high probability of kindred spirits.  But I don't think I could be more wrong in this case. 

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, millennium said:

Scarborough and I are the same age.  The musical choices used for going in and out of segments reflect my own tastes nearly perfectly (probably because we were both teens at the same time).   I have always thought that similarities in musical taste indicate a high probability of kindred spirits.  But I don't think I could be more wrong in this case. 

I have always liked the music on the show. I frequently use Shazam to find out the name of the song that they are playing.

13 minutes ago, suomi said:

I'm 13 years older than Joe and enough of a crank that Joe (or Trump or Huckabee or Limbaugh) enjoying and appropriating MY music ticks me right the hell off!

Don't forget Paul Ryan claiming Rage Against the Machine, and Rage Against the Machine telling him that he represents everything their music protests.

• Love 1

THIS!  I was thinking the same thing! Who of them has kids or family in military, or any experience at Pentagon, that they "know" everything about how to run Afghanistan? 

How fucking naive or stupid are these people?  That speech was written by Pentagon staff and then text was added to briefly address the mystery city and event where a young woman was killed and 20 or so other injured by a fucking Nazi prick, renamed "Both Sides Day 2017".  Do they actually think Trump is taking any of this seriously?   Have they not seen the writing on the wall?  Things couldn't be any worse for this Administration,  so let's ramp up a military exercise to get everybody to feel all patriotic.  This was Get My Ass Out of this Nightmare Fuck Up 101.   

And when he said "sitting at the desk in the Oval Office, you know being THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. Yeah we know what sitting at the desk in the Oval Office means.    We know you're the President.  Why do you think I've been stress eating cake for 8 months? 

Good lord was it DoucheORama Day on MJ or WHAT? 

I about lost it when the panel was asking Senator Cardin(?) about Trump's speech and of course the biggest asshole in media,Mark Halperin has to throw in the Menendez stuff. 

Yes Mark, you're quite the "Gotcha Question" boy aren't you.  We know what's going on with Menendez, what exactly is your point? Did you find out a couple people in New Jersey don't know you're a putz? 

Funny story -  remember that time when you were suspended from MSNBC for calling President Obama an asshole on live tv?   Who's the asshole now, Halperin?  The two term beloved former President, or the dickwad pundit who rides John Heileman's coat tails to any success? 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, oakville said:

There was a discussion about Afghanistan. There will be more troops going there. They don't want a repeat of Iraq. The theory is that when Obama took the troops out of Iraq, the government couldn't control the rise of Isis & Al Queda. They have destabilized Iraq. Joe blamed Obama for the mess.

Don't Ignacious or Joe or the others on the panel remember that Bush had signed an agreement with Iraq that there would be a pull out of US troops by a designated time? President Obama honored that agreement and also honored the wishes of a majority of the US population to withdraw troops from Iraq. Now these clowns are blaming the formation of ISIS on Obama?  I guess if you wanted to ignore the wishes of the citizens of the country you are occupying and the citizens of the US, we would stay in Iraq and Afghanistan forever. After all, terrorist groups can only form in those two countries and we certainly don't want to "lose." If I you had a relative who had given up their life for either of these wars, what would the justification for it be?  Viet Nam, Iraq, Afghanistan and all the lives lost on both sides, in addition to those severely injured both physically and mentally, and for what? So US Generals can save face? Trump has no policy. He is taking orders from the generals. More money, more loss of life for endless wars.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, Kenz said:

Don't Ignacious or Joe or the others on the panel remember that Bush had signed an agreement with Iraq that there would be a pull out of US troops by a designated time? President Obama honored that agreement and also honored the wishes of a majority of the US population to withdraw troops from Iraq.

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding.  The political media always seem to ignore that particular fact.  They just skip that step, like that Bush-negotiated Status of Forces Agreement never even happened.  

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, Kenz said:

Don't Ignacious or Joe or the others on the panel remember that Bush had signed an agreement with Iraq that there would be a pull out of US troops by a designated time? President Obama honored that agreement and also honored the wishes of a majority of the US population to withdraw troops from Iraq. Now these clowns are blaming the formation of ISIS on Obama?  I guess if you wanted to ignore the wishes of the citizens of the country you are occupying and the citizens of the US, we would stay in Iraq and Afghanistan forever. After all, terrorist groups can only form in those two countries and we certainly don't want to "lose." If I you had a relative who had given up their life for either of these wars, what would the justification for it be?  Viet Nam, Iraq, Afghanistan and all the lives lost on both sides, in addition to those severely injured both physically and mentally, and for what? So US Generals can save face? Trump has no policy. He is taking orders from the generals. More money, more loss of life for endless wars.

Joe did not mention the Agreement signed by Bush. I think Bush wanted to keep a few thousand troops around in Iraq to keep an eye out for terrorists. It's easier to blame Obama. 

• Love 3

Thanks navelgazer for the name of that agreement.

The U.S.–Iraq Status of Forces Agreement (official name: Agreement Between the United States of America and the Republic of Iraq On the Withdrawal of United States Forces from Iraq and the Organization of Their Activities during Their Temporary Presence in Iraq) was a status of forces agreement (SOFA) between Iraq and the United States, signed by President George W. Bush in 2008. It established that U.S. combat forces would withdraw from Iraqi cities by June 30, 2009, and all U.S. combat forces will be completely out of Iraq by December 31, 2011.

So what was President Obama supposed to do, renege on this and go against the wishes of Iraq and most of the US population which was sick and tired of that war? Blame Bush and Cheney and the rest of the chickenhawks for the development of ISIS, not Obama.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Kenz said:

So what was President Obama supposed to do, renege on this and go against the wishes of Iraq and most of the US population which was sick and tired of that war? Blame Bush and Cheney and the rest of the chickenhawks for the development of ISIS, not Obama.

Yes, because then Joe could yell at him about endangering US troops and not honoring Bush's agreement.  Either way Joe wins.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, suomi said:

Weren't they ranked closer to midway during the bleeding-from-plastic-surgery brouhaha? 111/150 is definitely nothing to write home about.

The show is 3rd compared to  CNN New Day & Fox & Friends in the key demo of 18-49. It is still second among total viewers with over 1M viewers. The total numbers are still good.

I agree that ratings in the overall scheme of the USA aren't that special , but you wouldn't know if you listened to how powerful, Joe thinks he is.

• Love 1

Wednesday Recap. Joe & his snappy blue blazer are in Maine by the Lake. Mika is off.

Joe is mad that Trump went off script at the Phoenix rally. Joe is mad that Trump mocked the media & called Stephanopoulos, little George.

Joe said Trump is undisciplined & should not argue with Mitch McConnell.

Joe is mad at Trump. That is today's theme.

They showed clips of Trump shouting at his rally. It woke up my Pugs.

Halperin looks like he needs Pepto Bismol.

The panel is mad at Trump for complaining about McCain. Where is the clip of him attacking McCain yesterday?

Halperin mocked the disciplined Kelly for putting up with Trump's behavior. Kelly can't control Trump.

Trump is obsessed with the media according to Joe.

• Love 4

Joe is one gullible dupe if he actually thinks Mrs. Clinton's cash grab of a book is actually going to be a sincere assessment of that campaign. Even the little chuckle she gave at her Russian joke in the audio excerpt they played sounded like a stage direction. And yeah, it's a little rich for her to whine about having her personal space invaded given the horse she rode to town on. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Mumbles said:

Joe is one gullible dupe if he actually thinks Mrs. Clinton's cash grab of a book is actually going to be a sincere assessment of that campaign. Even the little chuckle she gave at her Russian joke in the audio excerpt they played sounded like a stage direction. And yeah, it's a little rich for her to whine about having her personal space invaded given the horse she rode to town on. 

Well, I disagree with you mightily about Clinton, but that's neither here nor there and I won't get into it. 

What I find annoying about Joe's reaction to the excerpts is the way he feels like he can only stamp on his seal of approval if the book contains whatever he deems a requisite amount of self flagellation and groveling for forgiveness.

Also, you guys, I had a horrible nightmare last night that I was on a date with Joe!! Eewwwww!

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Mumbles said:

I was astonished to hear them calling that overly-scripted, painstakingly enunciated clip sincere and introspective.    I have heard more sincere and introspective informercials.

Hillary will accomplish nothing with this book but to give Trump and his base a reason to get energized.   I don't for a second believe she did this for the sake of history or the Democratic Party or America itself.   It's a book deal.   It's about cash, period. 

• Love 7

Everyone's disgusted with trump today so nothing new.

Joe agreed with Jim Van de Hei that if anything happens to a reporter, the blood will be on trump's hands.  As with everything, trump won't take responsibility.

I feel scared for reporters.

If Mitch's wife had any balls, she would quit today.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 5
41 minutes ago, Eliot said:

I had a horrible nightmare last night that I was on a date with Joe!! Eewwwww!

!!!!  Therapy?

39 minutes ago, millennium said:

It's about cash, period. 

How is that an issue?  Jesus Christ, she can't do anything right, can she?
Her voiceover was awful.  She's got to have more self-awareness to understand it's that control and modulation that (apparently) people LOATHE.   She's so careful.  People HATE that.  So they elected Donald Trump.  Because Hillary's optics, amiright?
She says she screwed up and let everyone down... nope.  Not good enough.  Too plastic.  If only her self-written memoir of her failed candidacy was MORE self-flagellating and excoriated herself and dished the ugly scoop on her inadequacies.  What a phony, right?
She should've had the black anchor from SNL's news read it.  Those voice should be polar opposite and then people would just listen to the story.

• Love 14

The Hillary reading segment was awful. I don't even know if I believe what she says about her reaction to fat ass stalking her.

Hell, even W's eye ball popping look at Al Gore was more genuine.

Joe seemed kinda neutral on the whole thing.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Eliot said:

Also, you guys, I had a horrible nightmare last night that I was on a date with Joe!! Eewwwww!

Speaking of crazy dreams - years ago, when both Mika and Joe were still married, but there was speculation that they were having an affair (I'm guessing around 2010), I had a dream that Mika and Joe got married, and then Joe ran for president and won. Obviously at the time, I thought the dream was pure craziness, and I still do, but the first part, at least, is close to happening.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, cased said:

Speaking of crazy dreams - years ago, when both Mika and Joe were still married, but there was speculation that they were having an affair (I'm guessing around 2010), I had a dream that Mika and Joe got married, and then Joe ran for president and won. Obviously at the time, I thought the dream was pure craziness, and I still do, but the first part, at least, is close to happening.

Mika was in my dream too, sulking in the background because I was on a date with Joe. She got over it quickly.

To my everlasting shame, I think I was kind of into him.

• Love 4

Ok, third day in a row that I missed MJ but I have heard those excerpts from HC's book.  I completely agree with those that noted someone else should have provided the audio for her book as she has always had a public facing problem and this didn't help to be honest.  It's easy in hindsight but when Trump was stalking her around the stage it would have been great if she had taken just a second, looked at the camera/moderators/audience, held up a finger to say hold on a sec and then turn around and said "what do you want?" . . . I know it isn't presidential but then again neither is/has been/or will be his behavior either.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Landsnark said:

How is that an issue?  Jesus Christ, she can't do anything right, can she?
Her voiceover was awful.  She's got to have more self-awareness to understand it's that control and modulation that (apparently) people LOATHE.   She's so careful.  People HATE that.  So they elected Donald Trump.  Because Hillary's optics, amiright?
She says she screwed up and let everyone down... nope.  Not good enough.  Too plastic.  If only her self-written memoir of her failed candidacy was MORE self-flagellating and excoriated herself and dished the ugly scoop on her inadequacies.  What a phony, right?
She should've had the black anchor from SNL's news read it.  Those voice should be polar opposite and then people would just listen to the story.

It's an issue when she puts the welfare of her own coffers ahead of the welfare of the country.

The Democratic party is still down and out and needs to find its footing fast.   They have no message and no immediately apparent standard bearer.

The last thing the opposition to Trump needs right now is a full-blown, media-hyped reminder of why the election was lost.   Her memoir will not energize Democrats.  It WILL re-energize the anti-Hillary crowd and provide endless fodder for Joe Scarborough and other critics and pundits.  

Under other circumstances I would suggest that it will "rip off the scab" among all who voted for her.   But this wound has not healed.  It has become infected and is verging on gangrene.   The only thing that will cure it is a new drug, not expired prescriptions of the past. 

Hillary's voice is the sound of defeat.   Her measured musings about what she SHOULD have done -- from the lap of fucking luxury, mind you, while those she let down chew their fingernails to the quick worrying about their healthcare and whether or not the world will be here tomorrow -- are not welcome and are not helpful.

The least she could have done is waited until Trump is gone.   She should have taken a cue from Obama, a real President, who is keeping his mouth shut at a time when he must want to scream because he knows anything he might say would only inflame the situation and galvanize Trump and his hordes.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 4

I thought that all the TV outlets got Mrs. Clinton's audio, but it looks like only the show did (all the other networks credit it.) Curious choice to leak it to, except perhaps to a tester to see how it was going to play among the political hack set. And, also perhaps to elicit a sympathetic response from Joe, who's probably chuffed that *he* got it first. His reaction today was surprisingly fawning.

• Love 2

Please, please please can we stop re-hashing what HIllary did right or wrong during the campaign?  Her fails and successes.  I am already sick to death of the book and the book-talk.  All I want to do is snark on Joe and Meek-a...and all the hangers-on that appear with them.  Does Mark Halperin ever smile? Ever not look like a complete douche?  See how easy that is?  Pivot.  

We all have our opinions on Hillary and the election.  It is just that when we let our personal feelings (that are so strong and emotional) come through when talking about her, it divides us and can create hard feelings.   It makes it uncomfortable to keep this a friendly place where we want to come and snark.  And face it, there is SO much to snark on every morning, every single minute of this show.  As hard as it is to get up some mornings, I look forward to tuning in to see what side of the aisle Joe will be on today.  Because it is fluid and depends on who he picks to shout about.  Lately he has been dependable in his Trump bashing (except for yesterday).

I probably sound like an old fuddy-duddy (THAT expression should give one an idea of my age)...and I certainly don't mean to sound like I am scolding.  I just love to come here and read all the descriptive phrases for Joe, Meek-a, my crush Clint Watts, and the entire dysfunctional crew.  I also probably sound like a person who used to get paid to shush people (Librarian).  Or one of the cranks who used to sit in the balcony on The Muppets.  Good times.

Sorry, the MyAimIsTrue scold came in as I was typing my reply.  Didn't see it until after I posted.

• Love 6