Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

obviously there's something going on,  where is joe and why isn't he wearing clothes?

and where on earth is Mika, she hasn't been on for days? aaaah

honestly i just hope everyone is healthy and okay, but I can't watch this, all the unexplained weirdness makes me too nervous

i need a defibrillator from watching today's show

what is this tedious tediousness of tediosity. 

Cicero! Joe! is out in full preachy mode, except Mika isn't even there to do her thing and reign in his pompous ass, so it's just him and his unfiltered blah blah

thank god for our girl Art Deco! Greek Goddess! Jen Psaki chiming in as a voice of reason.💕

• Like 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, tres bien said:

So we're back to the Trump polls, Trump phone calls. The Trump everything show 

Same as it ever was….. as the mornings go by. I’ll show myself out.🤡

Edited by Kemper
Spelling
  • Like 2

Joe is still wearing the same blue fleece top as he wore on Friday.

Joe said his dad told him that McCain would the GOP nomination win in 2008.

Joe said he is right that DeSantis is doing better than Trump in swing states.

I wonder what happened to Mika?

Joe is upset at Trump's mother's day message.

• Like 2
On 5/12/2023 at 4:52 AM, neona2 said:

anyhow, I have a question, so what was this Chris Licht dude like while on Morning Joe? Did he ever make appearances from the control room like this Alex guy and TJ and did he already show signs of being authoritarian-curious? 

I was watching Morning Joe at that time, and I don't recall that Chris was that way. I seem to recall that he appeared occasionally in the control room like Alex. He had a cerebral hemorrhage in 2010. I recall Mika saying something about how much they used to fight about what to put on the show, and she felt terrible that he almost died. He left within a couple of years and went to CBS for a few years. I thought the show went downhill a little after he left. It took some time for them to get going again, and then the pandemic hit.

Maybe someone else can remember the details. Seems to me he had a presence that was more in the background, but I was aware of his role.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Are we missing something?
Michael Steele commented that the Republicans are once again building for the future. Yes, they continue to focus on getting right-leaning judges on the next bench. But they also are working at the local levels: local school boards, town administrations, etc.
They used the long game to pack the Supreme Court.
Now they are using the long game to fundamentally re-orient the lowest levels of government.
Are the Democrats aware?  Or are the Democrats just focusing the whatever is coming up next.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, grommit2 said:

Are we missing something?
Michael Steele commented that the Republicans are once again building for the future. Yes, they continue to focus on getting right-leaning judges on the next bench. But they also are working at the local levels: local school boards, town administrations, etc.
They used the long game to pack the Supreme Court.
Now they are using the long game to fundamentally re-orient the lowest levels of government.
Are the Democrats aware?  Or are the Democrats just focusing the whatever is coming up next.

Anyone think this is hyperbole?  Last year, a friend's daughter, who teaches First or Second grade, featured Black History Month on the Bulletin Board.  A parent complained, the issue escalated to include harassing phone calls to the teacher and her extended family until she broke and resigned.  And this happened in a tony town, right outside of Blue Boston.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 2
(edited)

i'm way behind and just watching Wednesday's show now, but tbh Joe turning up live in studio just immediately increases the quality of the show by about 200%.

I know i've said this before but he is actually really good at his job when interacting with actual live humans

I wonder why Mika couldn't make it, she seemed a lil stressed down there in Florida, when she's there in studio with all of them she's a bit more in on the joke and not so anxious all the time. honestly nobody cares if Joe goes a bit off script or curses or calls her informal names or whatever, all that stuff is mostly weird and funny and interesting, the only annoying thing is when he goes on and on and takes too long to make a basic point, Cicero-style, bc that's intellectually frustrating to listen to. the other digressions are actually fun imo. Hmmm well this is very much a ymmv thing I think.

here for Mika's uhhh forceful and not-so-subtle shade on Lindsey Graham though. hypocrisy is definitely the right word ooof

ETA: OMG now on Joe's Thursday's reenactment of teh very! dramatic! car! chase!, complete with props, featuring Joe and Barnicle, apparently leaving the Polo Bar, I guess after a fun (?) evening of drinking old fashioneds while surrounded by mediocre equestrian paintings? I mean why, but also, that's on brand.  anyhoo, this dramatic reenactment is WHY I WATCH TELEVISION, it is awesome ahahahaha

Edited by neona2
  • Like 1

Mika is in studio today! yay! her real human self

Joe is in the temple of jupiter though, why don't they go at the same time, this will never not be inexplicable. He's doing the thing where he's backseat driving and ignoring Mika despite the fact that she actually! showed! up!

increasingly convinced this "de santis phenomena" is entirely an invention of the media. he's not a Real Boi guys. it'll fizzle out. 

high-lemann is here! I love his energy he's the only one who's awake tbh

• Like 1
(edited)

I don’t see why they need to be The Bobbsey Twins. It seems unrealistic to expect them to be in the same place together every morning. Also. They are Special! 

Edited by Kemper
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

I don’t see why they need to be The Bobbsey Twins. It seems unrealistic to expect them to be in the same place together every morning. Also. They are Special! 

maybe not but it's sooo much better when the three of them with Willie are in NYC or DC. and studio appearances with real conversations happen so rarely it seems such a waste to fragment them. like today they constantly had to interrupt the flow of the conversation to "go to Joe" aggh

Hilariously at one point Joe was being an asshole to Mika about her glasses (which looked good! wtf is wrong with him) and suddenly his feed dropped and he was gone! hahaha karma! Willie, being a perfect and adorable human, was a real gentleman, joe could learn something

The two Mollys should be a regular thing! we need something to balance out the one hundred John, John, Jon, Jonathan and Johns

• Like 1
On 5/19/2023 at 12:10 AM, KayVeeTeeVee said:

Anyone think this is hyperbole?  Last year, a friend's daughter, who teaches First or Second grade, featured Black History Month on the Bulletin Board.  A parent complained, the issue escalated to include harassing phone calls to the teacher and her extended family until she broke and resigned.  And this happened in a tony town, right outside of Blue Boston.

this is f-ing terrifying. 

I'm always confused when Joe is like, "I'm trying to help the Republican party! Why are they taking such extreme positions, when they could so easily win by being less insane"

---> his belief that these people are taking these insane positions "strategically" seems wild to me, it's like Joe has never considered that they might be taking these positions because it is what they believe and it's reflecting the kind of society they want.

maybe not the society they pretended to want when Joe was in congress, but quite possibly the one they've always wanted, deep down, the one in which where they can control the lives of other humans, especially women.

if it wasn't such a damn cliche I'd quote Maya Angelou etc.

Being so naive about motives at this point is crazy. I feel like most women on MJ have got these people's number by now and know how fucked we are, the men just need to catch up to the terror we are facing and understand it's not an error of political strategy, it's intentional cruelty. 

Mika said Joe did a commencement speech! idk if there is footage?? you know what, I think he might actually have been good at that.

bc on his best days he is actually funny and personable. And the absolute worst commencement speeches are the ones that are too bland and too serious without anything that's uplifting and inspiring or funny, at least Joe would probably have brought some humor and positivity. good for him. still wanna see footage though!!

Not gonna lie for me at graduation it was kinda dark and bleak (not mentioning names) and the person who did it was sooo dry. It was so word-salady and dense it genuinely confused my parents who came a long way, yikes. So a person like Joe is actually a good person to do that kind of thing. Good for him.

it seems a lot of media people are doing commencement speeches these days, please for the love of god, just be funny and energetic and give people just starting their lives an actual reason to stay alive, it shouldn't be so hard

due to the endless Bavarian! Jack! infomercials. i've decided to start DVR'ing Wilie's show, which tbh I've never seen due to Sunday mornings spent at the *cough* orphanage *cough* or something 🥴.

i swear to god I was in like a taxi last weekend?? and there was a clip of Willie on teh tiny tee-vee, talking to Shonda Rhimes?? On a loop, over and over! i think this must mean Willie has finally made it. good for him.

• Like 2

but Donny is such a mensch though, honestly I have such a soft spot for him.

I feel like he's basically the product of the exact same era/cultural environment of 80s/90s NYC as Former Guy except Donny didn't absorb it and turn it into an evil cult of selfishness, he just retained the aspects of it that are fun and playful and ridiculous, and I am here for that.

he also seems to be one of the few humans on tee-vee who understands how shitty the whole zoom thing is to actual culture and relationships and interactions, and to his credit pretty much always shows up in person. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, neona2 said:

but Donny is such a mensch though, honestly I have such a soft spot for him.

I feel like he's basically the product of the exact same era/cultural environment of 80s/90s NYC as Former Guy except Donny didn't absorb it and turn it into an evil cult of selfishness, he just retained the aspects of it that are fun and playful and ridiculous, and I am here for that.

he also seems to be one of the few humans on tee-vee who understands how shitty the whole zoom thing is to actual culture and relationships and interactions, and to his credit pretty much always shows up in person. 

Yeah but ... he still looks like a tangerine.

• LOL 4
4 hours ago, millennium said:

Yeah but ... he still looks like a tangerine.

That and I've read things about him over the years in regards to off screen behavior. 

• Like 1

Shawl day! Tuned in sometime before 8 and Joe was talking. Tuned back in about 10-15 minutes later and he was still talking.  After 8, Joe was MIA; Willy mentioned something about Chris Christie and his possible run…Meeka gave a quick “okay” and then quickly quickly moved on. Like 100-yard dash moving on. 🤓 Remember when he was practically a regular back-in-the-day?

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Good God!  What is it with Mika & her shawls.  Today it was a plaid one.  Seeing her draped in those shawls every day makes her look like an old woman sitting in a rocking chair.  All she needs are the knitting needles.  If she is so damn cold all the time (I refuse to believe it's a fashion choice), turn up the heat at the Bunker!  After all, she lives there. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, Linda956 said:

Good God!  What is it with Mika & her shawls.  Today it was a plaid one.  Seeing her draped in those shawls every day makes her look like an old woman sitting in a rocking chair.  All she needs are the knitting needles.  If she is so damn cold all the time (I refuse to believe it's a fashion choice), turn up the heat at the Bunker!  After all, she lives there. 

Plus today’s shawl seemed to be in fall colors … then again it could have been my tv. And I think she was wearing a black top with it; so it is apparently October in Florida. Sorry to sound catty; a friend used to say “Come on, let’s be catty” and it made it all better.

Edited by Kemper
  • Like 5
49 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Plus today’s shawl seemed to be in fall colors

You know, I thought the exact same thing when I clicked by today: The dark, fall-ish checked "shawl". (Shawl is actually a stretch; looked like just a rectangle of fabric.) She is so awkward, for lack of a better term. I could be much "cattier", even lion-like in my assessment of her, but I really don't care enough about the show.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Again, why doesn't she call out the small-batch ETSY knitter who outfits Mika with 365 shawls/area rugs/picnic blankets so we can know her value?

I would really like to knock back a pitcher of martinis with Mika to get to know her.  I think she's a pretty weird lady.

100% Katty makes fun of Mika's shawl off camera.  Calls her "shawllow."  (Get it? Shallow?  Shawllow?)

• LOL 7

idk why DeSantis is confused about his own name, so lemme help out

if his name is "DeSantis" it is pronounced deh-santis

if his name was pronounced dee-santis it would be spelled di Santis. it is not!!

in italian names with "de" instead of "di" it's usually because they are family names preserved from medieval Latin. so deh-santis is the correct pronounciation of his actual name, and kinda sorta fancier (ish). 

what a weird dude he is

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1

Joe is mad at DeSantis virtue signalling over culture wars.

Mika & Joe continue to dress poorly.

Mika looks like she is getting ready to audition for a role in local theatre play.

Joe wearing Fleece in June in Florida is strange.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

what's up with the rerun today? It started at 8 a.m. instead of 8.30 and it's still going oooooon. whyyy. it's been almost an hour!

I'm home today but on workdays the 8.30 rerun start is much more practical bc then it's live until leaving basically, heh.

Also when they are live on the tops of the hours we get to see sunrises and music but when it's a rerun it's just boring 

(edited)

No sloppy fleece on Joe today; he looked good in a light sport coat. Meeka was in mourning clothes. They were the perfect contrast…winter/summer.  Meeka looks so nice in pastels. They always went so well when she was full-on blonde; but not so good on a serious journalist? I will lap from my saucer of cream now.

Edited by Kemper
  • Like 3
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, neona2 said:

what's up with the rerun today? It started at 8 a.m. instead of 8.30 and it's still going oooooon. whyyy. it's been almost an hour!

I'm home today but on workdays the 8.30 rerun start is much more practical bc then it's live until leaving basically, heh.

Also when they are live on the tops of the hours we get to see sunrises and music but when it's a rerun it's just boring 

Joe may have had leave the studio early to interview a VIP for his primetime show.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 4
(edited)

I'm glad I watched live today mainly because I got to hear Mike Allen say Happy Friday! 

Joe & Mika in the temple of jupiter optimus! maximus! Willie in the Basilica. Lemire in studio, after sliding down the fireman pole from his illegal encampment on the observation deck.

Our Queen Elise!!

they keep bringing up this di santis de santis thingy and though I have zero interest in his actual human self or his ChatGPT generated presidential campaign, this confusion about his own name is a profoundly hilarious rabbit hole!! and I am here for it.

It's definitely deh-santis but apparently he's been mispronouncing his own name as dee-santis most of his life! WHY? HOW? currently my theory is

---> they blame his wife for making him "change it" but most likely she speaks Italian and when his name actually became HER name, let him know that he was mispronouncing his own name and sounding like a moron. Like a person named Hugh calling himself Hug. #teamCasey

--->  he or his  family in a vaguely racist way thought DeSantis sounded too hispanic or latino and invented the di sound to distinguish themselves because they thought it sounded more Italian? even though it also sounds absolutely fine in Italian (though the Italian name might have Spanish roots like a thousand years ago) ahahaha

---> his family changed it out of some misconception *cough* prejudice *cough* it would make them sound less Sicilian (which I don't think they are)

---> he is functionally illiterate

it's probably the latter but honestly, this will never be settled until some poor journo gets sent to his ancestral hometown. Good times. 

Admiral Themistocles! in studio!!

Barnicle looks cute

Remember when Anand G had a really great quote about waxing too poetic about superficial bipartisanship, but I can't remember what it was

avuncular kumbayah something?

Anyhoo I'm glad they raised the debt ceiling but good god, the waxing poetic.

Mika actually made a really great point, about how we are all still f-ed in all the important ways, and by we I mean mostly women and children, but Joe, probably because he himself is not f-ed, just brushed her aside and refused to engage with what was actually interesting pushback.

Anyhoo I'm glad she did. And glad the economy didn't crash! so there, two thoughts etc! but it still could have been a more vibrant discussion if Joe hadn't shut it down.

i love that they have Doris Kearns Goodwin on more now. She was bursting to tell her little anecdote and it was so funny and so interesting!! no lengthy droning, just wit! and energy! and intelligence! *chef's kiss*

Edited by neona2
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, Kemper said:

No sloppy fleece on Joe today; he looked good in a light sport coat. Meeka was in mourning clothes. They were the perfect contrast…winter/summer.  Meeka looks so nice in pastels. They always went so well when she was full-on blonde; but not so good on a serious journalist? I will lap from my saucer of cream now.

this is totally legit and ridiculous and funny, but because you were venting and being ridiculous and having fun, now ensues a whole week of trolling

the whole dynamic of their constant response to stupid shit on the internetz is such a distraction from finding genuine creativity as humans. it's genuinely stressful to observe, and one of the reasons i'm honestly starting to check out

i don't even object to what they are trying to do, just the fact that they're engaging and responding so heavily to negativity.

Rather than being alive and creative in an affirmative sense and ignoring stupid shit.

And the engagement with negativity is given such prominence that it becomes in itself, negative, and you can immediately feel it radiating through the screen. idk maybe i'm being snowflakey. but i don't think i'm wrong. sigh. 

• Like 2

okay last comment I promise but Mika, talking to that lady with the plane book said:

"Before you were published, and you had those 40 rejections, did you see all those publisher's faces when you were *in the room* with them?"

um, Mika, the lady clearly meant that she *sent* some pages by *e-mail*. and got ghosted. 

this is wild to me that Mika thinks most first-time novels are PITCHED in a ROOM with HUMANS.

because that's probably how Mika got her bookdeals, as an already established public face. which is fair, but how on earth does she not know that's not how it is for ordinary people? wild

1 hour ago, neona2 said:

this is totally legit and ridiculous and funny, but because you were venting and being ridiculous and having fun, now ensues a whole week of trolling

the whole dynamic of their constant response to stupid shit on the internetz is such a distraction from finding genuine creativity as humans. it's genuinely stressful to observe, and one of the reasons i'm honestly starting to check out

i don't even object to what they are trying to do, just the fact that they're engaging and responding so heavily to negativity.

Rather than being alive and creative in an affirmative sense and ignoring stupid shit.

And the engagement with negativity is given such prominence that it becomes in itself, negative, and you can immediately feel it radiating through the screen. idk maybe i'm being snowflakey. but i don't think i'm wrong. sigh. 

I didn’t mean to sound venting or ridiculous. Sometimes I miss the snark that this board had back in the old TWOP days. Just me , but… MJ is no different than most “pundit” shows. The hosts and their guests are getting paid (and very well) to give their opinions on events and people in the news. It is not their job to make my day; they often blow the way the wind blows. They are privileged enough to have thick skins; I can’t see them trolling any of us … we aren’t even on their radar. Their Let Them Eat Cake Radar. 😁 But I do understand how getting one’s day off to a positive start is important. Old reruns of Mash and my cat do it for me in the mornings.  Entitled Kitty used to own Mr. Kemper but you know cats…they love the one they’re with.  Bless their hearts. 🥰

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Kemper said:

I didn’t mean to sound venting or ridiculous. 

no no in this case, I totally meant venting and ridiculous in a positive sense, because it's fun and diverse and crazy and interesting. 💕 

I am totally #teamkemper on this one, in every way

because mainly for us it's all in the spirit of fun and creativity, and it's a lil rough and tumble, live and let live

I was pointing out that their response to all of this, and the stupid shit we say, is a little bit silly.

the trolling and stuff.

which is okay, but also, why? so unnecessary imo

• Like 1

The thing is….I am old and just do not take any pundit’s words to heart. Maybe in print but not on air. But hats off to anyone who gets positivity from them; many do not have agendas. Not The Twins! Joe was born for this gig; and Meeka was destined to be Queen Consort. Kudos. That’s it for me. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 6/2/2023 at 11:06 PM, Kemper said:

They are privileged enough to have thick skins; I can’t see them trolling any of us … we aren’t even on their radar. Their Let Them Eat Cake Radar. 😁

hmm, well. I see what I see. it's why i get paid my lil art girl minimum wage! well, slightly above but not a lot *cries*

On 6/2/2023 at 11:06 PM, Kemper said:

But I do understand how getting one’s day off to a positive start is important. Old reruns of Mash and my cat do it for me in the mornings.  Entitled Kitty used to own Mr. Kemper but you know cats…they love the one they’re with.  Bless their hearts. 🥰

I love this!! I'm gonna take your advice and watch Mash, I think it's on Hulu. 🥰honestly I'm always looking for recommendations because television now is basically shit. and then when watching old stuff you get the sense that they all loved being there and also in terms of writing they didn't condescend to the audience. it's just...better, in every way 

anyhoo, I'm still on Friday's MJ bc I missed some parts!!

there's a running joke about Joe with a metal detector on Pensacola beach, and I know it's a joke, but i would like to speak up in defence Metal Detector Dudes! 

in fairness, yes, they are weird. museums get e-mails from these guys like "I discovered a dinosaur bone in my backyard" followed by "never mind, it was the family dog I buried five years ago" 🥴

BUT also, sometimes the stuff they find is actually very interesting. Only recently some random dude found a Byzantine Follis on a beach in Delaware!!

so yes, Metal Detector Dudes, though extremely hilarious and often insane, deserve a lot of credit for basically performing a public service. I love so much that contrary to popular belief, so often their first instincts are not "how much money is this worth" but "is it of importance, and how can I share it with the world". 💕  beautiful, weird, crazy humans. honestly the world would be a better place if everyone was an amateur archaeologist.

• Like 1

today's Abortion Panel Discussion

the Rev and Joe think Americans should meet "in the middle" because that's were "most people are"

how about maybe if you don't have a uterus it might not actually be any of your business? Just a thought

image.thumb.png.8437943bb4beeadf1f52cd268012997d.png

• Like 5

Happened to click by the show this morning to see a longish ad for Good Morning America, showcasing interviews with guests of some renown and interest to much of the country, Michelle O., Hillary C., Prince Harry, etc. I went to check the guide to check times and realized GMA airs during the middle of MJ. When I clicked back, there was Mika reading headlines of random newspapers. Hmmm, Americans, which show would YOU choose? Shocked/not shocked to see the competition buying ads.

• Like 1

i just don't understand what Jesus had to do with this chicken thing

I feel like the historical Jesus, if he existed, in terms of philosophy, probably he was a vegetarian, or possibly even a vegan.

i've read the new testament, it's basically  the same story told 4 times and mostly it's about non violence. there's not a lot in there about murdering chickens, but go figure

• Like 1

yeah that was not a super coherent comment, I apologize 😂

they were talking about chick-fil-A, as in the chain. and they apparently make a big deal out of being a Christian business. so my point was, noooot so sure Jesus would approve of this --->

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/davidmack/animal-cruelty-exposed-at-alleged-chick-fil-a-suppliers

it's an old article though so hopefully maybe things have improved? who knows. still f-ing awful  

they were in studio in DC rivendell this morning!

Joe was wearing pants! it was basically a miracle.

man, it's been so long since they've done anything approaching a real show, it was so goooood. i hope they are staying in DC a couple of days so we get some good conversation shows

here for susan page! and jackie A! 

there was a looooong segment where Joe and Chris Matthews had a loooong conversation, but hear me out, I've discovered the way to actually enjoy this two-front blow-hardyness is to:

first! lower the volume by half, by reason of both their loud-ass voices

second! double the playback speed, by reason of both their extreme slowness of talking

with these minor adjustments it was actually a really great back and forth! idk what the situation was with matthews but at least he's been around and he's got stories, i appreciate that. 

Mika trolling Sam Stein is my new favorite thing

Hakeem Jeffries was there, his actual human self! I love that in DC they get the best people to actually come in 

(edited)

i feel like I say this every year, but people need to stop telling this RFK Aeschylus story as some secret sign of genius because it was a genuinely terrible misquotation.

RFK used Edith Hamilton's shitty translation of Agamemnon, idk in many ways I think she was a great scholar but her greek was not very good. Also I'm sorry to say, but it's not a super hopeful play, everyone basically murders each other and ends up dead. 

He also changed gods into god so basically pretending ancient Athenian society was monotheistic which it really very much was not. 🥴  the whole play is basically a lamentation on how cruel and vengeful the universe and the gods plural who run it are. 

this is no shade on RFK and his beautiful human self, obviously. i find the footage they show so haunting

Edited by neona2
  • Like 1