Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, novhappy said:

As we have all said a million times WHY CAN’T MIKA READ THE TELEPROMPTER?  it’s literally the basic skill that is required. Does she do it deliberately to show she’s not a newsreader? She’s above that?  She is Scoop Brezinski?

also I noticed the table today. Only branded Morning Joe cups. Mika was even drinking from one w a straw. 

They are in Washington, so they don’t have all their normal mugs. 

11 minutes ago, cased said:

They are in Washington, so they don’t have all their normal mugs. 

The old DC studio had a real window, this is all screen. Did they get demoted? 

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

The old DC studio had a real window, this is all screen. Did they get demoted? 

I don’t know, but they said at the very beginning of the show that they were in Washington. Also, Mika posted a photo of her and her mother last night on Instagram, so it makes sense. 

With this studio setup, and the NY studio setup of the last year, it is harder to tell where they are. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, cased said:

I don’t know, but they said at the very beginning of the show that they were in Washington. Also, Mika posted a photo of her and her mother last night on Instagram, so it makes sense. 

With this studio setup, and the NY studio setup of the last year, it is harder to tell where they are. 

It had DC above their little screen during the throw to Ruhle too. It was definitely DC, but I miss that window. It was my favorite part of the DC studio. Ha! 

• Love 2
(edited)

MJ on TV with captions is odd. They move fast. Seemed like Joe called trump snowflake a dozen times on the first 10 minutes.

And come up with something better. Snowflake is lame, besides, I used to know a very sweet cat named Snowflake.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, novhappy said:

As we have all said a million times WHY CAN’T MIKA READ THE TELEPROMPTER?  it’s literally the basic skill that is required. Does she do it deliberately to show she’s not a newsreader? She’s above that?  She is Scoop Brezinski?

Her fumbling and bumbling is getting more annoying the worse it gets. Clearly, the woman needs glasses and is just too vain to put them on.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 5
Just now, Eliot said:

Her fumbling and bumbling is getting more annoying the worse it gets. Clearly, the woman needs glasses and is just to vain to put them on.

To be fair, she had them on a few weeks ago but Joe got caught during a commercial transition telling her to take them off. #knowyourvalue

• Love 6
(edited)
5 hours ago, XOQueens said:

It had DC above their little screen during the throw to Ruhle too. It was definitely DC, but I miss that window. It was my favorite part of the DC studio. Ha! 

I like the window too. In the past, they didn't always use the window studio, the often used one similar to where they were today (but at that time the NY studio looked different). They have been using the DC window studio for the last year or so until now.

Edited by cased
typo
  • Love 1

Mika, more than most, should not be mocking bad spray tans.

Mhmm...

#Resistance Twitter was having none of it. Morning Joe was trending on the social media platform Monday soon after the segment, as liberals lambasted the program for its hosts’ critiques of De Niro — with many pointing out that the MSNBC morning show gave Trump a friendly platform throughout the 2016 election, enabling his rise.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/resistance-twitter-comes-after-morning-joe-after-hosts-criticize-de-niro-for-helping-trump-get-re-elected/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• Love 4

I tuned in early today and was treated to David Ignatius seemingly interviewing someone...cannot remember who; I thought that maybe he was hosting the show.  Finally Meeka came on and something something something; Joe appears remotely from somewhere. Then there was a lengthy block of low energy; it was like someone had died...no spark, no life.  Meeka just cannot ask pertinent questions to save herself.  To finish off the funereal atmosphere, there was a discussion of Meeka's father and what he would have thought about the "summit".  Which has nothing to do with anything.  But I guess it gave Meeks a bit of a talking point; she is incapable of leading a discussion with journalists, officials, ex-officials of any ilk.  Unless they are Michael Avenatti.  And now they are back to Ignatius doing the interviewing - with Richard Engel this time.

I switched to CNN and then CBS This Morning.  At least we got the hosts together in one place yesterday.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Kemper said:

she is incapable of leading a discussion with journalists, officials, ex-officials of any ilk.

Of all days, today it's the most apparent.  What happened with the G7 and North Korea will forever change the United States and geopolitics.  It's a huge moment in history.  They are somber and stoic on the set for really good reason.  Navigating through this is far, far, far beyond Mika's slight abilities.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Landsnark said:

Of all days, today it's the most apparent.  What happened with the G7 and North Korea will forever change the United States and geopolitics.  It's a huge moment in history.  They are somber and stoic on the set for really good reason.  Navigating through this is far, far, far beyond Mika's slight abilities.

You’d also think today was important enough for both hosts to actually show on set. 

• Love 7
On 6/11/2018 at 6:54 AM, jjj said:

Ha! They just played Justin Trudeau giving his earnest high school valedictorian speech and went into faux outrage about his lack of politeness.  That was funny.  ("Faux" because, you know, bilingual, right, Oakville?) 

The best thing I've seen re Trudeau is a clip of him calmly saying "these tariffs are unfair" or something to that effect, and Trevor Noah says " that's Canadian for "you Mother Fucker!!". 

I was going to suggest that the show was more somber because Joe and Mika stayed up all night watching the coverage, as the actual professionals at MSNBC, Rachel, BriWi, Nicole and others were covering the arrivals, etc. but then I remembered who we're talking about. 

I'm sure this is how last evening went. 

"u up?"

"who's this?" 

"me. Daddy."

"Dad?? but, how can this be, you died".

"No Mika, it's me Joe."

"I told you not to text me after 10 pm.  You know this is my Know Your Value time.  I'm binge watching episodes of Real Housewives to get some pointers on women entrepreneurs/wine throwing". 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Kemper said:

To finish off the funereal atmosphere, there was a discussion of Meeka's father and what he would have thought about the "summit".  Which has nothing to do with anything.  But I guess it gave Meeks a bit of a talking point

Her father’s name is about all she has going for her in these serious policy discussions so at least she knows her brand (albeit an old and worn one) and sticks to it. But she really needs to let it go and ask Siri to look up some current strategists profiles on Wikipedia.

7 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

"u up?"

"who's this?" 

"me. Daddy."

"Dad?? but, how can this be, you died".

"No Mika, it's me Joe."

Humor, shock, horror. I will never emotionally recover. 

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

To finish off the funereal atmosphere, there was a discussion of Meeka's father and what he would have thought about the "summit".  Which has nothing to do with anything.  But I guess it gave Meeks a bit of a talking point

Was it Joe that said "Mika's father worked on the Peace Accords which have held up for four decades."

What the hell do they call the shit going on a month or so ago between Israel and Palestine?  

• Love 3

Mika had time to speak, and literally mentioned her father as filler.  "It's times like these that lead me to think of my dad.  David Ignatius?"  And so then Ignatius compliments her father and so do others and they go to commercial.   Ugh.  Hard to watch.
Why won't they do prep work?  She's not a wonk.  She can't wing it.  She's not a natural sales person or articulate speaker.  She can't wing it.  

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

Mika had time to speak, and literally mentioned her father as filler.  "It's times like these that lead me to think of my dad.  David Ignatius?"  And so then Ignatius compliments her father and so do others and they go to commercial.   Ugh.  Hard to watch.
Why won't they do prep work?  She's not a wonk.  She can't wing it.  She's not a natural sales person or articulate speaker.  She can't wing it.  

That was bad. You know, she doesn't even need to be a wonk for something like this morning. MSNBC had extensive coverage from some very insightful people (minus Chris Matthews) all night. All she needed to be able to do was watch them and parrot their main talking points whilst swinging it to others. This morning it was really evident how much they are phoning it in (literally, in Joe's case) and not doing any sort of prep work.

On another note. When Joe said he was relieved at seeing Trump and Kim shaking hands I had a hard time getting my mouth to shut. I walked away for a bit shortly after; did he ever realise legitimising a murderous dictator with a handshake and equal footing isn't worth being relieved over? 

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

When Joe said he was relieved at seeing Trump and Kim shaking hands I had a hard time getting my mouth to shut. I walked away for a bit shortly after; did he ever realise legitimising a murderous dictator with a handshake and equal footing isn't worth being relieved over? 

Joe legitimized Donald Trump, so legitimizing Kim is right in his wheel house. 

• Love 7

How soon will we be hearing "Nobel, Nobel" from his supporters???? I even wrote to the Nobel Committee several months ago when this ridiculous idea started to be thrown around. I pleaded , begged and implored the committee not to even consider giving him the Prize. We shall soon see what happens next.

• Love 3

The only good part of the morning was when they had Christopher Hill and two other former government officials on (one was a woman), but their names escape me. They had the requisite amount of information, commentary, and seriousness that this deserved and none of them were even hinting that this was good.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Kemper said:

Meeka just cannot ask pertinent questions to save herself.  To finish off the funereal atmosphere, there was a discussion of Meeka's father and what he would have thought about the "summit".  Which has nothing to do with anything.  But I guess it gave Meeks a bit of a talking point; she is incapable of leading a discussion with journalists, officials, ex-officials of any ilk. 

They need to hire better producers and have them tell Mika what to ask in her earpiece.

Of course real journalists do the homework themselves and have a better sense of the issues, may actually prep some questions themselves.

If she wants to appear on TV and ask questions about policy and other important matters, she either needs to get better producers or prepare herself.

Obviously she's just a glorified newsreader.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, XOQueens said:

You’d also think today was important enough for both hosts to actually show on set. 

I woke up at 330 am today to see what was going on in Singapore. The first look crew was on. It was interesting to watch Trump live. 

I don’t know why Beaker Joe was in the Bunker today? It’s a historic day. 

I made my recap notes but left them at home

I have to check my DVR to see if I have Mondays show. Did Morning Joe cover Trumps attacks on Justin Trudeau? 

Its big news up here in Ontario.

I am getting frustrated with this show. 

8 minutes ago, scrb said:

They need to hire better producers and have them tell Mika what to ask in her earpiece.

Of course real journalists do the homework themselves and have a better sense of the issues, may actually prep some questions themselves.

If she wants to appear on TV and ask questions about policy and other important matters, she either needs to get better producers or prepare herself.

Obviously she's just a glorified newsreader.

This topic was covered in her Know your Value Book.She admitted not knowing much about international affairs. She was hired to do a politics show Pre Morning Joe

• Love 3
On 2018-06-08 at 4:56 PM, dubbel zout said:

Stepping in for @MyAimIsTrue: Book reviews should go in the Small Talk thread, and remember that the no-politics rule still applies.

Ok thanks. I just want to write about her book.  It deserves a second reading. 

I think he is referring to peace between Egypt & Israel

• Love 2

We deserve better from a "premier" news show on a day like this.  First, both of the hosts actually coming into the studio and doing their job..both.  Said host(s) would be all over the importance of a summit like this and be prepared with questions; they should be able to match their own network's overnight, live reporting.  Three, to not use the opportunity to talk about their days in congress or to reverently speak of one's father.  This morning's show was a mess and an insult to other reporters on the network.  Neither hosts truly care about doing their job; they come in, wing it and then collect a hefty paycheck. 

Whether we like it or or not, this was a momentous occasion and deserved serious reporting and opinions from all around; not just the usual suspects.  Over at CNN they were bright and bushytailed, had a variety of guests on and a smattering of differing opinions.  We know what is going to come out of the mouths of the MJ regulars before they even speak.  Please, mix it up.  If the network refuses to replace the host(s), the least they can do is insert some fresh faces as guests.  But maybe the ones we have are the only ones who will put up with the lack of preparedness and blovating/preening of the hosts.  I can't blame the guests, really; we all need a paycheck.  And they don't have to do much but sit and nod.

• Love 7
(edited)

Very well said, Kemper. Brava!

ps: If I didn't know better I would think that Ari Melber read your post because he just opened by saying "We have an exclusive group of guests today." Which is an intro we will never, ever hear on MJ.

Edited by suomi
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, oakville said:

I have to check my DVR to see if I have Mondays show. Did Morning Joe cover Trumps attacks on Justin Trudeau? 

Its big news up here in Ontario.

I am getting frustrated with this show. 

Yes, they mocked Trump saying that Trudeau had been impolite on he Monday show.  They were mildly amusing, for them.  

I see that the staffer who promised "a special place in hell" to Trudeau has actually apologized.  (Navarro) 

• Love 2

OMG, you guys. Mika was just on the air crowing about how “tough” she and Joe were on Trump vis a vis Putin: “We pushed him and confronted him and brought that out of him.”

ONE TIME. There was that one, single, totally manufactured “hang up” stunt (after which he was right back on the show spouting the same bullshit) amidst all the simpering and fawning they indulged in throughout the campaign. God, these people are infuriating.

And I was only half listening just now, but I think I just heard her trying to twist some other topic to try to wedge in her “platform” issue about lambasting women for “how they look.”

And Joe, if Corker, Flake, et al truly want to fight back against Trump, the obvious solution is right in front of them: Renounce McConnell and caucus with the Dems. Flip the Senate until sanity returns. THAT would be political courage.

• Love 8
(edited)

Eliot, I heard that, as well as Mika saying "he likes Putin and Kim and those men who think women should look a certain way. OMFG STFU 

If this isn't proof positive that everything this bitch does is to promote her moronic Know Your (Future Husband's) Value/Sleeping your Way to a Cushy 7 Figure Salary Co Hosting Job in Cable News AND Getting a Super Awse Diamond Ring while Humiliating Your Family In The Process" Campaign, I don't know what is.

And Joe, stfu about Sanford.  I know you two are co founders of "Cheaters R Us", Southeast Branch, but the guy is an asshole. Neither of you should be anywhere near a political office. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 5
50 minutes ago, Eliot said:

OMG, you guys. Mika was just on the air crowing about how “tough” she and Joe were on Trump vis a vis Putin: “We pushed him and confronted him and brought that out of him.”

ONE TIME. There was that one, single, totally manufactured “hang up” stunt (after which he was right back on the show spouting the same bullshit) amidst all the simpering and fawning they indulged in throughout the campaign. God, these people are infuriating.

And I was only half listening just now, but I think I just heard her trying to twist some other topic to try to wedge in her “platform” issue about lambasting women for “how they look.”

And Joe, if Corker, Flake, et al truly want to fight back against Trump, the obvious solution is right in front of them: Renounce McConnell and caucus with the Dems. Flip the Senate until sanity returns. THAT would be political courage.

Very true! . Mika & Joe we’re very lenient with Trump. I recapped that stunt of Joe hanging up on Trump.

Wednesday Recap

Mika & Joe are in the studio together. Mika is wearing a blue pattern shirt with black stripes. Beaker is wearing a blue tie.

First topic, Joe’s former Best friend SAnford was defeated in a primary by a pro trump candidate.

joe said Sanford was a true Conservative.

he voted with Trump 85% of the time.

joe is worried that the GOP is being destroyed by TRUMP. 

The Democrats will win an huge victory in November. Joe said he was right about Trump in 2015

25 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Eliot, I heard that, as well as Mika saying "he likes Putin and Kim and those men who think women should look a certain way. OMFG STFU 

If this isn't proof positive that everything this bitch does is to promote her moronic Know Your (Future Husband's) Value/Sleeping your Way to a Cushy 7 Figure Salary Co Hosting Job in Cable News AND Getting a Super Awse Diamond Ring while Humiliating Your Family In The Process" Campaign, I don't know what is.

And Joe, stfu about Sanford.  I know you two are co founders of "Cheaters R Us", Southeast Branch, but the guy is an asshole. Neither of you should be anywhere near a political office. 

You win the forum today!

I finally got Mika’s book Obsessed. I have all of her books now! 3 book reports coming this summer:)

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

but the guy is an asshole. Neither of you should be anywhere near a political office.

My wife and I were going to vote in the GOP primary to support Sanford.  We chickened out and cast our votes in the Dem primary.  Sanford's opponent is a crazed Trumper.  0 experience and no platform.  Sanford is flawed, but he's a far better option than the woman who beat him.
It is sort of gross that Joe/Mika are friends with Sanford. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, XOQueens said:
1 hour ago, Landsnark said:

It is sort of gross that Joe/Mika are friends with Sanford. 

How does Mika think he's ok but Bill Clinton's BJ is a step too far? ?

Because Mark Sanford's wife didn't run for President and snub Morning Joe during her book tour last year. 

• Love 7
(edited)
30 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

How does Mika think he's ok but Bill Clinton's BJ is a step too far? ?

Mika's "line," such as it is, seems to be drawn around the workplace. "Don't have sex with your interns!" "Don't go for drinks with co-workers!"

The breathtaking irony of her stance goes completely unacknowledged.

btw, has anyone noticed the annoying way she has begun to over-enunciate her "t"'s? As in "Poo-Tin," and "NA-T-O."

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 6

The footage of Tim Russert really saddened me. There's no one quite like him anymore. BTW, where is his son, Luke? He seems to have disappeared! He did interviews in DC for awhile. I hoped he would follow in his Dad's footsteps. 

• Love 1
(edited)
30 minutes ago, cecelia45 said:

The footage of Tim Russert really saddened me. There's no one quite like him anymore. BTW, where is his son, Luke? He seems to have disappeared! He did interviews in DC for awhile. I hoped he would follow in his Dad's footsteps. 

I dunno. I think Russert was really overrated. I will never forget that, during the run-up to the Iraq war, Cheney exploited his appearances on MTP to push a false narrative. MTP was specifically targeted as Cheney believed Russert was a "friendly" platform.

To me, Russert pioneered the "look tough by asking a question twice but then move on to the next topic without getting a real answer" school of TV journalism that is pretty much standard across all the Sunday shows today.

ETA: And no matter how hard Russert's colleagues at MSNBC tried to make Luke happen, he never quite managed to convey any sort of gravitas.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 5

Didn't we mock him, call him Little Luke and generally be pissed off that he had been elevated to a congressional correspondent by NBC because his dad was Tim Russert?

Hey, I think Kasie legitimately holds that position now.

• Love 1
(edited)
7 minutes ago, stormy said:

Didn't we mock him, call him Little Luke and generally be pissed off that he had been elevated to a congressional correspondent by NBC because his dad was Tim Russert?

Hey, I think Kasie legitimately holds that position now.

Yes, Luke was rather smarmy.  If I had been working my way up the NBC/MSNBC food chain and watched his untrained presence jump rungs ahead of me, or if I had earned my stripes the old-fashioned way, I would have been alternately furious and demoralized.  It was not like he had a natural gift.  I did not see any of this morning's show -- hope the Tim Russert footage was in the first hour, which can be viewed via app.*  I actually never watched Tim Russert on the air, but understand the veneration of him.  (Last I saw, Luke, whom we did indeed call Li'l Luke, was traveling around the world.)  

*I recently found an MSNBC app that has a day or two of the most recent shows in video -- much more convenient to watch than the website.  The podcast is just audio -- useful for car travel.  

Edited by jjj
  • Love 2
(edited)
8 minutes ago, stormy said:

If I recall correctly, it was "Little Lord Luke."

Good times, man. Good times.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, jjj said:

If I had been working my way up the NBC/MSNBC food chain and watched his untrained presence jump rungs ahead of me, or if I had earned my stripes the old-fashioned way, I would have been alternately furious and demoralized.

This sounds familiar. 

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Eliot said:

If I recall correctly, it was "Little Lord Luke."

Good times, man. Good times.

Someone at msnbc had a show & called him the sage of Capitol Hill. I forget her name now

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, jjj said:

Yes, Luke was rather smarmy.  If I had been working my way up the NBC/MSNBC food chain and watched his untrained presence jump rungs ahead of me, or if I had earned my stripes the old-fashioned way, I would have been alternately furious and demoralized.  It was not like he had a natural gift.  I did not see any of this morning's show -- hope the Tim Russert footage was in the first hour, which can be viewed via app.*  I actually never watched Tim Russert on the air, but understand the veneration of him.  (Last I saw, Luke, whom we did indeed call Li'l Luke, was traveling around the world.)  

*I recently found an MSNBC app that has a day or two of the most recent shows in video -- much more convenient to watch than the website.  The podcast is just audio -- useful for car travel.  

I was never a Luke Russert fan either, but to be honest, it is better for him to do his own thing. Working in the shadow of his father was a losing proposition, reagrdless of how talented he was.

Edited by cased
(edited)

The Tim Russert footage was not in the hour included in the online stream.  They generally use the first hour for the audio podcast, but I'm not sure which hour ends up in the MSNBC app. 

Edited by jjj