Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

On 3/30/2018 at 7:17 AM, Landsnark said:

"Whenever I leave New York or DC I meet and speak with people who tell me "Yes I would vote for him again.  What would you expect me to do?"  And then he rants about how Trump will be elected again.  And asked what's her name a 3 minute question.  Then they play a recording of the village idiot explaining on a panel study why Trump is such a good President.
Sometimes I hate this show so much.

This rant by Joe is bugging me. I will have to go and re watch this clip. Joe has been complaining about Trump since Feb 2017. He routinely makes fun of Trump's lower approval numbers. He usually mentions that it is 35%. No President with that level of support would get re elected. Trump & Clinton were both unpopular. Joe has been mentioning that the current special elections in Congress & the Senate have Democrats doing better than expected & winning seats in areas that Trump won in 2016. Joe's latest theory is that the GOP will lose control of Congress in 2018 & Trump will run against the Democratic Congress in 2020 & win. This makes no sense.

It's virtually impossible for the Democrats to pick a candidate in 2020 that will be as unpopular as Hillary was in 2016. Joe is not even willing to consider who the Democrats would nominate to compete against Trump ? That's lazy. I suspect Joe wants to keep a copy of that clip for November 2020 if Trump wins re election. He could say, "I told you so". He pulled the same stunt in December 2015. He had an interview with Trump about Putin killing journalists. Trump said the USA kills journalists & they got into a tiff. Joe bragged after the election that he couldn't support Trump after that interview. Yet, he & Mika continued to give softball interviews to Trump for months till he got the nomination. It's absurd.

• Love 4

I went Googling to find Joe's salary ($12m, according to here). And then I found this gem.

Are #joeandmika not planning on living together? 

“My daughter plans to go off to school next year and my son and I will be here so we are downsizing,” Scarborough said Wednesday.

“We’ll be buying another home in the area and I plan to stay involved (in the community),” Scarborough told the New Canaan News.

Link

• Love 2

Well so glad to hear economics wizard Mika berate local news anchors that read that drivel from Sinclair and declare she wouldn't have done it (it helps when you're born on third base).  If you watch the tape it is clear many were not comfortable with participating but unfortunately they let their personal lives (you know, families, mortgages, medical needs) get in the way of "doing the right thing for journalism" and then she brings up that time she ripped up the Paris Hilton story.  Yes Mika, that comparison is spot on.  Totally twinsies.  

Sinclair bought one of the local stations here in the Chicagoland area and it's my understanding that they are one that refused to read the script.  They are also from a large media market and has more clout to push back on Sinclair.  Many of the stations that did read it are from small, independent stations that do not  and they have smaller salaries as well. 

She's awful.

• Love 9

Ken Starr on Stormy Daniels?

Click.

The deadspin video was worth tuning in, as was the guy who said journalists and media outlets should refuse to give the President this much power over us, to occupy every hour of every day of our lives with the moronic, damaging things he says and does.

• Love 3
(edited)

I noticed Joe leaning away from Confessore and into Mika's space .  I saw her just before a break try to push him away a little bit.  Now that I've seen it, that's all I can see. 

Oh, and Joe needs his glasses back.  They hide how close his eyes are to each other and how just unattractive he is. 

Edited by navelgazer
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, navelgazer said:

Oh, and Joe needs his glasses back.  They hide how close his eyes are to each other and how just unattractive he is.

Or he could just sit next to Noah Rothman for life and look better by comparison.

1 hour ago, navelgazer said:

In the last half hour of the show, the glasses were back. I agree he looks much better with his glasses. Not only do they hide his eyes, but I think they make his face look thinner. 

1 hour ago, Chloesmom said:

Well so glad to hear economics wizard Mika berate local news anchors that read that drivel from Sinclair and declare she wouldn't have done it (it helps when you're born on third base).  If you watch the tape it is clear many were not comfortable with participating but unfortunately they let their personal lives (you know, families, mortgages, medical needs) get in the way of "doing the right thing for journalism" and then she brings up that time she ripped up the Paris Hilton story.  Yes Mika, that comparison is spot on.  Totally twinsies.  

Sinclair bought one of the local stations here in the Chicagoland area and it's my understanding that they are one that refused to read the script.  They are also from a large media market and has more clout to push back on Sinclair.  Many of the stations that did read it are from small, independent stations that do not  and they have smaller salaries as well. 

She's awful.

She got the final word to say she's heard, because of their segment on it, a lot of local anchors are going to stop reading the scripts. Because of the Morning Joe segment.

Sigh. She was doing so well on her own. I was rooting for her.

• Love 5

I am sorry to be a horrible person....but I never root for her and never will.   But XOQueens is right - she does much better on her own.  If I didn't have such an intolerance for  her, I would probably want her to do well, too.  But at least for today, they were in the studio together.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, XOQueens said:

I went Googling to find Joe's salary ($12m, according to here). And then I found this gem.

Are #joeandmika not planning on living together? 

Link

I think the article mentions Joe's net worth being $12M. I doubt his annual salary is $12M.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

She got the final word to say she's heard, because of their segment on it, a lot of local anchors are going to stop reading the scripts. Because of the Morning Joe segment.

Ugh.  Totally stealing deadspin.com's thunder, as if that site exists just to keep Morning Joe supplied with fresh meat. 

2 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I am sorry to be a horrible person....but I never root for her and never will.   But XOQueens is right - she does much better on her own.  If I didn't have such an intolerance for  her, I would probably want her to do well, too.  But at least for today, they were in the studio together.

Nah, that doesn't make you a horrible person. We all have someone or people we just can't take. I feel Mika in a lot of ways (strict overachieving parents, harsh family, not allowed to do the popular culture thing when younger), which always makes me feel a bit uneasy that I could turn Mika-esque when I'm older (lol), so I want her to turn it around. What do they say, There but for the grace of god turn I into Mika. ;) 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, millennium said:

Why does Scarborough keep flogging Mark Cuban?  Does he really believe another egomanical billionaire is the tonic America needs?

The deadspin.com video was chilling.    Beware the savage jaw of 1984 ...

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/how-americas-largest-local-tv-owner-turned-its-news-anc-1824233490

Yes, but JoMika are about six months late on this story. John Oliver, Rachel, Joy Reid have all covered this, months ago.  

This was brought up when when they announced they were buying stations last year. 

• Love 2
(edited)
9 minutes ago, millennium said:

Ugh.  Totally stealing deadspin.com's thunder, as if that site exists just to keep Morning Joe supplied with fresh meat. 

Yeah, it's sort of icky. I didn't see the original segment. How much credit did they give Deadspin? I remember seeing this over the weekend so I was surprised at the end when they even pretended it was the MJ segment that made an impact and not the original.

ETA: Mika said they're going to be talking about Facebook (again) tomorrow. Fingers crossed I get my favorite bit out of it: Joe's misunderstanding of how The Google search engine works.

Edited by XOQueens
  • Love 1

Today's focus on the Sinclair broadcasting anchors being forced to read a script was very scary. I didn't know about that.

Joe defended some of the anchors because they may be forced to do it to keep their jobs. Mika was off base  and said that journalists that read teleprompters are actors. Is Mika an actress? She reads teleprompters.

Didn't Mika read a teleprompter during most of her career?

Is Mika still considered to be a journalist? She is much more an "opinion anchor"

Mika was getting sarcastic about Hannity visiting Trump at Mar A Largo this weekend.

Did Mika remember that she & Joe spent New Year's Eve 2016 at Mar a Largo, trying to get an "interview " with Trump ?. LOL.

Mika & Joe don't seem to recall that they were sycophants for Trump on a daily basis in 2015 & part of 2016.

I like Jon Meacham's historical analysis,  but I am always amused at how Morning Joe takes him so seriously. He was Editor in Chief of Newsweek in 2009 & his strategy of doubling subscription prices for subscribers & raising newsstand prices led to the magazine canceling its print publication a few years later. His decision to change the content of the magazine to be more pro -Democratic party was not wise.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/17/AR2009051702074.html

I watched 40 minutes of the show, so I will post the recap soon. It's nice that Mika & Joe agreed to sit in a studio together with Nick Confessore.

Did Joe leave his glasses in the Bunker? Mika still has a bruise under her left eye.

• Love 3

then she brings up that time she ripped up the Paris Hilton story.  Yes Mika, that comparison is spot on.  Totally twinsies.

She said she almost !lost her job!

Did anyone catch her comment, somewhere in the parroting news readers segment, she said something about female journalists being under the thumb of her male cohosts.  SHE REALLY SAID THIS FOLKS.  Also, like 3 people said like 80 times that this reading from a script was "chilling."  Yeah, right, chilling--with all the shit that the guy who has his the nuclear codes does, THIS is chilling??

• Love 3

Two channels here in Indianapolis, the CBS affiliate and the Fox affiliate were owned by Tribune, so I'm assuming they are now under Sinclair's umbrella. I don't watch local news that much but I haven't noticed them making outrageous statements like those in the video.  Not that it isn't happening, but maybe some stations are pushing back? 

I have a feeling most people who watch local news and take what they say seriously are the low information voters anyway, those who are informed and watch it wouldn't pay attention to anchor's opinions on anything.  I can barely get an accurate weather forecast from my local stations.  The CBS affiliate has a female anchor who has been in local news for over 30 years, I'm pretty sure Debby Knox could give a rat's ass what Sinclair wants her to say.  Neither station really cover national news that much anyway, maybe 2 minutes at most if there is some big story. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

She's awful.

Mika is so silly. Does Mika remember that she wrote a book called "All Things at Once" ? In the book, she bragged about how easy it was to read a script. I doubt any of these anchors wanted to read the propaganda. It's dumb and will backfire against Sinclair.

1 hour ago, XOQueens said:

Are they going to make every new foreign policy guest discuss Zbig?

I haven't gotten to that part of the  show yet. It's weird why they are talking about him again. He died last May.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

Did anyone catch her comment, somewhere in the parroting news readers segment, she said something about female journalists being under the thumb of her male cohosts.  SHE REALLY SAID THIS FOLKS. 

NO! ? 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Two channels here in Indianapolis, the CBS affiliate and the Fox affiliate were owned by Tribune, so I'm assuming they are now under Sinclair's umbrella. I don't watch local news that much but I haven't noticed them making outrageous statements like those in the video.  Not that it isn't happening, but maybe some stations are pushing back? 

I have a feeling most people who watch local news and take what they say seriously are the low information voters anyway, those who are informed and watch it wouldn't pay attention to anchor's opinions on anything.  I can barely get an accurate weather forecast from my local stations.  The CBS affiliate has a female anchor who has been in local news for over 30 years, I'm pretty sure Debby Knox could give a rat's ass what Sinclair wants her to say.  Neither station really cover national news that much anyway, maybe 2 minutes at most if there is some big story. 

I watch local news in Toronto to see what is happening in Toronto. The local anchors don't discuss their personal political opinions. The newscast does try to cover US stories but it's pretty superficial analysis. It appears that it is mandatory in Canada to have one story about the British Royal family on ever local newscast in Canada. Our anchors here get excited when the Queen gets flowers from kids or Prince Harry & Meghan visit a church. Canada is still a member of the Commonwealth & Queen Elizabeth is still our Head of State. Morning Joe did send Mika & Joe to London to cover the wedding of Prince William in 2009. It was hilarious. Katty Kay provided analysis.

1 minute ago, XOQueens said:

NO! ? 

Whaaaat ( as the kids say these days) !

• Love 1

Did anyone catch her comment, somewhere in the parroting news readers segment, she said something about female journalists being under the thumb of her male cohosts.  SHE REALLY SAID THIS FOLKS. 

NO! ? 

YES!!  It was the first time they aired the segment--perhaps they cut it out of the repeat.  Somewhere around 7:45 or so.  I was not watching, only listening with the shower going, so perhaps she had a sarcastic smirk on her face?? Can someone help out here?

40 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

Nah, that doesn't make you a horrible person. We all have someone or people we just can't take. I feel Mika in a lot of ways (strict overachieving parents, harsh family, not allowed to do the popular culture thing when younger), which always makes me feel a bit uneasy that I could turn Mika-esque when I'm older (lol), so I want her to turn it around. What do they say, There but for the grace of god turn I into Mika. ;) 

You should Mika's first  book "All Things at Once "  to get a better understanding of how she became the Mika who ended up on Morning Joe.

David Ignatius said he giggled at the script montage fortunately he pulled back because it's down right scary. Truly, what the fuck's going on in America.

Oh wait, trump lies? Doesn't understand DACA? Now that gave me the giggles.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, WhineandCheez said:

YES!!  It was the first time they aired the segment--perhaps they cut it out of the repeat.  Somewhere around 7:45 or so.  I was not watching, only listening with the shower going, so perhaps she had a sarcastic smirk on her face?? Can someone help out here?

I think what she said (at least the part I heard) was that the male anchors who were reading the segment are generally the most senior and highest-paid anchors at their respective news stations. So the fact that they were reading it lent gravitas and credibility to the prepared statements.

The female anchors flanking the senior male anchors have lower pay, less seniority generally, and a shorter shelf life.

I don't think she's wrong. She might have articulated it poorly, but I'm pretty sure that's what she meant.

ETA: I was also just reading elsewhere that in many of these local stations, non-union anchors have a clause in their contracts that holds them liable for up to 40% of their base salary if they voluntarily terminate their employment agreements. Refusing to read the segments could be interpreted as a voluntary termination. So it's easy for Mika to sit in judgment from her cozy cable network perch, but the reality on the ground has changed a lot since she was in local news.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, XOQueens said:

There is absolutely no way you could turn into her as you already display both a splendid sense of humor and have self awareness, two items that she is sorely lacking.  But if I ever see you with one of those scarfs we will have to have a talk . . . :)

1 hour ago, oakville said:

Today's focus on the Sinclair broadcasting anchors being forced to read a script was very scary. I didn't know about that.

Oakville the reason why this needs to be called out and beaten to death is Sinclair is today what Murdoch was back in the 70's.  He bought up all sorts of media and look what we ended up with.

• Love 5

For two people who are sooo media savvy, you'd think Joe & Mika would realize those cameras pointed at them record everything they say, so when they lie, or criticize others for stuff they do, it makes them look like assholes. 

But for the most important topic of the day: Did Joe wash off his tan?

Yeah it looks like it. 

• Love 1

Here are some fun clips from the days when Mika & Joe were palling around. (TM) Sarah Palin with Candidate Trump. This after he announced he was running for President.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2016/02/10/an-awkward-joe-scarborough-protests-that-hes-not-in-fact-a-supporter-of-donald-trump/?utm_term=.98e2303c717c2

I will post my daily recap when I get a chance. I wanted to fact check some things that Mika & Joe said today on the show.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

Oakville the reason why this needs to be called out and beaten to death is Sinclair is today what Murdoch was back in the 70's.  He bought up all sorts of media and look what we ended up with.

Social media is pushing for a boycott of the Sinclair stations and their advertisers. I've seen several articles this morning about anchors complaining about this, and one GM said "my job is on the line, you HAVE to do this".  I also saw where they're pushing it in more rural areas.  

I have to admit when I saw the footage of all the anchors saying the same thing I thought they took it off of Oliver's show, as that's something he does, making fun of local anchors doing the same stupid shit, like for holidays, etc. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

Social media is pushing for a boycott of the Sinclair stations and their advertisers. I've seen several articles this morning about anchors complaining about this, and one GM said "my job is on the line, you HAVE to do this".  I also saw where they're pushing it in more rural areas.  

I have to admit when I saw the footage of all the anchors saying the same thing I thought they took it off of Oliver's show, as that's something he does, making fun of local anchors doing the same stupid shit, like for holidays, etc. 

This Twitter thread has a Sinclair station anchor's contract. Interesting stuff...

• Love 2

Very late recap.

Mika & Joe together in the NY Studio.

Mika & Joe are wearing color co ordinated navy blue outfits.

Nick Confessore was on the set with America's most powerfu broadcast couple.

Meacham was in the Library & David Ignatius was in Washington.

Mika still has a bruise under her left eye. Joe is not wearing glasses. I wonder why?

The Sinclair broadcast scandal was a big issue.

There was a debate about whether the tax cuts would benefit the GOP vs Higher health care premiums.

Joe reminded viewers that he wrote an article in the Washington Post in Feb 2016 saying the GOP was doomed. They went on to keep the Senate & win the Presidency. Joe said they are still doomed under Trump because they are giving up Conservative Values..

The show continues to antagonize viewers with Brady Bunch Bubbles but at least Mika & Joe agreed to do one show together.

Mika wants the local Sinclair broadcasters to rebel & quit their jobs. OK Mika. Joe said they have bills to pay so don't judge them.

Joe was baffled by the GOP attacking Hillary Clinton.

Joe said that Hillary Clinton is not Bill Clinton or Barack Obama. That was very insightful.

Joe is mad that the GOP is using clips from Hillary's tour of India where she said the red states were backward for voting for Trump. Those Trump states have a chance of getting back in Hillary's good graces if they vote for a Democrat in 2020.

Meacham said that America is being held hostage by Trump. Trump is not listening to his advisors.

meacham acknowledged that voters were tired of the Bush & Clintons so they took a flyer on Trump.

The media elite is very upset that Trump is not behaving with any decorum.

I think most people are upset with his behavior.

Joe was confused by Trump complaining about illegal immigration. It is down from Obama.

Confessore admitted that Obama deported many illegal immigrants but did not discuss it for political reasons.

Joe said that GOP voters would be excited with Ben Sasse & Mark Cuban if they ran against Trump in 2020.

Joe said Reagan was destroyed in 1982. the GOP gained a seat in the Senate. They went from 53 to 54 seats & went from 192 members of Congress to 166. they were doomed . Reagan ran in 1984 & lost Minnesota. Does Joe even remember any history or does he just like mouthing off.

He makes of Trump for not knowing facts but he makes mistakes too. It's frustrating for me because I end up second guessing almost every thing he says about past political events. I stop watching ad try to double check what he said.

I ended going through Mika's 2 books to find her comments about being a part time anchor. She was fired on her 39th birthday & was desperate for cable bits from 2006-2007 pre her chance encounter with Joe. She shouldn't be lecturing the poor journalists at Sinclair.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

There is absolutely no way you could turn into her as you already display both a splendid sense of humor and have self awareness, two items that she is sorely lacking.  But if I ever see you with one of those scarfs we will have to have a talk . . . :)

Oh but how I love sheaths, heels and vodka.

8 minutes ago, oakville said:

Mika still has a bruise under her left eye.

Now I'm wondering if she's getting, like, zero hours of sleep a night and that's the culprit. At least her face still looks better than Joe's sans glasses. 

11 minutes ago, oakville said:

I ended going through Mika's 2 books to find her comments about being a part time anchor. She was fired on her 39th birthday & was desperate for cable bits from 2006-2007 pre her chance encounter with Joe.

And now look at the happy, errr, matching couple! Fate! ?

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, suomi said:

Willie: "Mika is off for a family matter." Odd, putting it that way.

I suppose it's better than saying "For those keeping track, this is Mika's 56th unexplained absence this year.   She'll be back tomorrow."

• Love 3
(edited)

Tuesday Recap. Joe is back in the Bunker . Mika is off  for a family matter. Willie is in the NY Studio.

Joe is upset with the stock market losses. Pensioners & people owning stocks are getting hurt.

Joe is mad at Trump for starting a trade war.

Heileman said increased regulation of internet companies is hurting tech stocks. No more tax cuts or infrastructure this year.

Joe botched the historical analogy of Reagan trying to help midwestern farmers in the 1980s. Reagan wanted to increase exports of grain to Russia not increase imports from Russia. Sigh!.

Carter imposed the grain embargo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_grain_embargo_against_the_Soviet_Union

Joe is mad at Chinese tariffs. They are hurting farmers. Trade wars affect both countries.

Richard Haas is taking about tariffs.

Edited by oakville
Joe doesn't know history
  • Love 2

Joe is mad at his attacks on Amazon. Joe reminded viewers that he is a Conservative. Don't pick winners & losers.

Joe is unaware of the specific risks that Amazon poses for the brick & mortar retail sector.

Joe's sympathy for stock holders today is hilarious. The market had been surging up until late January & Joe had Ratner on the show to say that growth in the stock market only affected rich people.

C'Mon Joe, please review your own shows transcripts before mouthing off. It drives me nuts. Joe should read my recaps so he can remember what he said. I love Cheetos.

• Love 3

Willie said that everyone loves Amazon.! Haas is worried about 401K.

Haas said pension funds are not fully funded. The stock market won't grow at 7-8%.

The Dow Jones was at 18,332 on Nov 8  2016. The S&P 500 was 2,139 on the same day. The Dow is now at 23,644. The SP 500 is now at 2,581.

These are healthy gains in the market. Corrections are normal.

Trump's tweets make things worse, but they make it sound like it's the end of the world.

Joe is mad that Trump's poll numbers are up to 42%. Joe cherry picks which polls he looks at. Rasmussen has him at 50%. It's better to stick with the RCP average polls.

Heileman said there is no legislative agenda from now til November.

• Love 2