Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, navelgazer said:

I still love seeing Dr. Howard on my TV screen.  I admired what he did when he was chair of the DNC when he created the 50-state strategy that gave the Democrats back the House and the Senate in 2006.   

I enjoy hearing from Howard Dean too. He's a very appealing guy. He said today, as he has on other shows, that it's time for younger Democratic candidates to run for president, and I totally agree. Although I'm an old baby boomer, I think it's high time for new leadership. No offense to Pelosi or Schumer and others and many thanks for their work, but the party needs a fresh boost.

• Love 10

The vacation schedule on this show has become a real distraction.   The show hasn't been running on all cylinders for weeks now.   The half-baked broadcasts from Maine or wherever do nothing but prolong the dysfunction because they allow the hosts to extend their vacation time much longer than if they took one or two full weeks off.   So instead we get what seems like more than a month of unsatisfying programming, part of it broadcasting from somebody's 1960s living room.   Who's in the basement?  Wayne and Garth?

Willie Geist is about exciting as a glass of tepid milk.    He is devoid of personality and his only skill appears to be reading from a teleprompter.  

Where the hell is Mika? 

Nothing about this show is consistent or reliable anymore.   It's been going downhill for awhile now.    More and more I find myself switching back to New Day, which I originally abandoned in favor of this one.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, millennium said:

The vacation schedule on this show has become a real distraction.   The show hasn't been running on all cylinders for weeks now.   The half-baked broadcasts from Maine or wherever do nothing but prolong the dysfunction because they allow the hosts to extend their vacation time much longer than if they took one or two full weeks off.   So instead we get what seems like more than a month of unsatisfying programming, part of it broadcasting from somebody's 1960s living room.   Who's in the basement?  Wayne and Garth?

Willie Geist is about exciting as a glass of tepid milk.    He is devoid of personality and his only skill appears to be reading from a teleprompter.  

Where the hell is Mika? 

Nothing about this show is consistent or reliable anymore.   It's been going downhill for awhile now.    More and more I find myself switching back to New Day, which I originally abandoned in favor of this one.

The disfunction is part of the fun of this show

• Love 2
On 8/20/2017 at 11:41 AM, oakville said:

I suspect Mika might have a dancing style similar to Elaine on Seinfeld. 

A few days late, but I just remembered this clip of Mika dancing

• Love 2

Poor Jonathan Capehart, having to dance with Mika.  It's hard to dance with someone who doesn't have a sense of rhythm and can't keep up with the beat.  They can throw you off.

• Love 5
On 8/25/2017 at 4:09 PM, millennium said:

Where the hell is Mika? 

When the show started in 2007, Willie used to do a segment called "News you can't use". It was very funny.

It has been a busy summer for Mika & Joe, with her dad dying & the engagement. They were also being attacked by Trump on a personal level just as they were going off on vacation in July.

Joe is also busy with his music career now.

I hope the show returns to normal after Labor Day.

43 minutes ago, cased said:

A few days late, but I just remembered this clip of Mika dancing

This was hilarious!

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Poor Jonathan Capehart, having to dance with Mika.  It's hard to dance with someone who doesn't have a sense of rhythm and can't keep up with the beat.  They can throw you off.

I will never criticize anyone's dancing, because I am probably the world's worst dancer.

6 minutes ago, oakville said:

It has been a busy summer for Mika & Joe, with her dad dying & the engagement. They were also being attacked by Trump on a personal level just as they were going off on vacation in July.

It's late August, and they're still on vacation.

• Love 1

OMG the dancing. She is totally enjoying herself but ... some people (like me) should not attempt that in public (so I don't, because I'm realistic about my limitations).  I want to smack Joe for (intentionally, it seems) blocking our view. Capehart OTOH is a really good dancer. Did she not realize that her mic was on? "How about this?" and "How about this one?" and JC is like "No" and "No." Thank You So Much for finding and posting that.

ETA: re those clips I posted? I totally like silly, lighthearted Mika. I could even forgive the scarves if she showed that side every day. Serious, intellectual Mika is stiff and unlikable.

Edited by suomi
  • Love 3

To be honest, I hadn't had a chance to watch the clips that were posted (thank you suomi!) but now that I have I think it's kind of great that Mika was cool with Joe posting her make up free Twitter photo.  I didn't realize she had tangled with adult braces (I am assuming they were Invisaligns) but between her chin tweak that her mother thought would be a good idea and embracing her off camera self, I am happy for her as maybe her physical self isn't what's most important anymore.  As much as I have clearly stated I have some issues with these two, I am going to take it down a judgement notch when watching the show (that is whenever the next time they show up at the same time and yes I had to toss some final snark out there) . . . :)

And ps, please bring back News You Can't Use!

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

Make up free Mika in Portland, ME:

Mika looks so much like her dad without makeup!.

3 hours ago, Landsnark said:

Her longer, golden hair is very very attractive.  Shame she changed it.

I can see why Joe was immediately attracted to her back in 2007 when he asked her to be his co host. She didn't know him at all.

6 hours ago, ButterQueen said:

Looking at the pics above, I liked Mika's longer, darker hair much better.  Her hair is too severe now.

Mika looks like Claire ( the First Lady/Vice President )  on House of Cards

• Love 2
17 hours ago, suomi said:

OMG the dancing. She is totally enjoying herself but ... some people (like me) should not attempt that in public (so I don't, because I'm realistic about my limitations).  I want to smack Joe for (intentionally, it seems) blocking our view. Capehart OTOH is a really good dancer. Did she not realize that her mic was on? "How about this?" and "How about this one?" and JC is like "No" and "No." Thank You So Much for finding and posting that.

ETA: re those clips I posted? I totally like silly, lighthearted Mika. I could even forgive the scarves if she showed that side every day. Serious, intellectual Mika is stiff and unlikable.

Excellent find Suomi !. Mika can be very funny when she isn't in serious co host mode.

• Love 2

Oakville, to be honest I think what those clips really brought home to me was the realization of how much Joe was truly infatuated with her back in the day.  Man I missed a lot back then!

Edited by Chloesmom
  • Love 2

I honestly don't remember Mika's hair being longer and darker and to be honest I don't mind the platinum blonde color either as it suits her skin tone but I wouldn't be mad at her if she faded back into that previous look . . . :)

• Love 1
4 hours ago, oakville said:

Mika looks so much like her dad without makeup!.

I can see why Joe was immediately attracted to her back in 2007 when he asked her to be his co host. She didn't know him at all.

I think she looks like Dr Z with or without makeup. Her mom was a stunner when she was younger and I also see that.

Sorta icky that Joe became infatuated before he met her while watching her do overnight newsbreaks and intros from his bed (with wife #2). Taking the only opportunity he was given, he pitched the co-host position in a hallway at NBC. He was like (aw shucks, golly gee whiz) "Do you like my show?" and she responded with "I've never seen it." Hook, line, sinker, bam. From his song Let's Fall In Love: She breaks my heart with a wave of her hand

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

Oakville, to be honest I think what those clips really brought home to me was the realization of how much Joe was truly infatuated with her back in the day.  Man I missed a lot back then!

Very true!. Mika did play hard to get for several years. She was able to get him to divorce his wife in 2012 before she would be willing to do the same.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

Make up free Mika in Portland, ME:

Waaah, I can't see the photo. I get "this content cannot be displayed in a frame." Went to Joe's twitter page and it's not there either, nothing for that date/the 26th, nothing after the 25th is shown. So now I have the sadz.

Monday Recap. Mika & Joe are back in the studio in NYC. Joe is wearing a navy blue sweater & Mika is wearing a light blue sleeveless top. Her face looks puffier than usual. They started off with Hurricane Harvey, but had to take a few shots st Trump for tweeting about Sheriff Clarke. They are upset at the pardon of Arpaio, transgender ban & Trump trying to develop a tower in Moscow. Gorka left the White House!. Mika is snarky about him.

Bill Karins is scary with the news from Houston. The bayou is continuing to flood.

Joe said he knows about hurricanes. It's not barrelling through. The storm isn't moving. Steering currents is the new buzzword.

They need trailers!.

I will be switching to CNN throughout the morning since I am more worried about the Houston flooding than Mika & Joe taking shots at Trump.

They are upset about not being able to lead with political stories.

Mika is getting breathless again attacking Trump. Mika's is reading too quickly & stumbling over the pronounciation of people who are mad about the transgender ban. She called Jennifer Detlefen, Jenithen which isn't even a real first name.

Barnicle is on set. Will he say anything useful?

Joe called Gorka a crazy nationalist. The transgender ban is a ruse according to Joe. Joe called Trump a day trader.

Barnicle called Trump a genius at manipulating the media. He gets them to focus on shiny objects.

Tillerson said Trump speaks for himself. Joe is happy with Mattis, Tillerson & Kelly.

Mattis said to hold the line until the USA is less divided. The military doesn't these problems about divisions.

Hopefully, the troops don't watch Cable TV News.

Joe wants Paul Ryan to get more personal & harsh with Trump. Joe wants more personal attacks against Trump. This will be good for ratings.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, suomi said:

Waaah, I can't see the photo. I get "this content cannot be displayed in a frame." Went to Joe's twitter page and it's not there either, nothing for that date/the 26th, nothing after the 25th is shown. So now I have the sadz.

Joe seems to have taken it down, but I found it with a little help from Google.  I really like that she is not wearing makeup.  For someone who is really invested in women owning and promoting their own value, it doesn't send a great message if you are not comfortable without stage makeup.  I sure hope Mika doesn't think that is her value.

IMG_0786.PNG

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Mmtx2002 said:

Joe seems to have taken it down, but I found it with a little help from Google.  I really like that she is not wearing makeup.  For someone who is really invested in women owning and promoting their own value, it doesn't send a great message if you are not comfortable without stage makeup.  I sure hope Mika doesn't think that is her value.

IMG_0786.PNG

I am not surprised that Joe took down the photo. There were several nasty responses to  Mika's physical appearance related to this photo. Mika did write in her first book, that personal looks & keeping in shape is vital to being given an appearance on TV. She admitted to looking bad after her child was born that she would have to get back in shape if she wanted to stay on tv.

Joe is talking about the list of horrors that Arpaio committed. Wasn't he convicted for contempt of court? Why wasn't he convicted of torture based on what Joe is describing?

Barnicle said that Arpaio was running a concentration camp. Isn't that illegal ?. Joe called Arpaio a thug.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, oakville said:

I am not surprised that Joe took down the photo. There were several nasty responses to  Mika's physical appearance related to this photo. Mika did write in her first book, that personal looks & keeping in shape is vital to being given an appearance on TV. She admitted to looking bad after her child was born that she would have to get back in shape if she wanted to stay on tv.

Yes, there were some nasty responses, but also some awesome responses.  I totally get that for TV she must maintain a certain appearance.  That is part of the game, and she signed up for it. 

I guess, though, that as a woman I also like to see "real" women too sometimes, without all the makeup.  And I found the picture refreshing in that way.  This was weekend Mika out with someone she loves, just as herself.  And it wasn't all about appearances -- just about authenticity.  And she is still, of course, beautiful.  

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Mmtx2002 said:

Yes, there were some nasty responses, but also some awesome responses.  I totally get that for TV she must maintain a certain appearance.  That is part of the game, and she signed up for it. 

I guess, though, that as a woman I also like to see "real" women too sometimes, without all the makeup.  And I found the picture refreshing in that way.  This was weekend Mika out with someone she loves, just as herself.  And it wasn't all about appearances -- just about authenticity.  And she is still, of course, beautiful.  

Mika has been dressing down since her relationship with Joe became semi public. I think she is more comfortable looking less glitzy now that she engaged to Joe.

Edited by oakville
  • Love 1

Joe got mad at the new Axios reporter, Swan. Swan blamed Tillerson for not getting confirmable deputies. They have to be confirmed by the Senate but they don't have the qualifications. Joe got mad at him and said the White House is to blame.

Swan pushed back.

Mika was gleeful that Mad Dog went after Trump .

The new heroes of the Trump administration are Kelly, Mad Dog & Tillerson for standing up to Trump! Paul Ryan gets an honorable mention but Joe wants him to stop Trump's agenda.

• Love 2

Joe was mad at the lack of zoning laws in Houston. There is too much concrete & asphalt. the water can't soak into the ground.

The panel wants more positions staffed. The government needs more people in place to get stuff done.

Joe said his brother worked in Houston & they have cow patches next to skyscapers.

Joe wants a clean aid package passed by Congress. Joe does not like omnibus bills.

Mika & Joe are spending more time on Hurricane Harvey than I thought they would. Kudos!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, oakville said:

People aren't as divided as cable news describes them.

And most of us know that. When there's a disaster we don't ask for your voter registration or ID to be sure you're a citizen, we help. 

I do agree with Joe etc on the anti fa group.  Just saw a story where a group of them beat a man into a coma because they "thought" he was a Nazi.  Look I think Ann Coulter and that Milo douchebag are disgusting assholes, but half of what they say is bullshit just to get attention.  If it's a choice between stress eating cake and ignoring these assholes, and beating people up at a rally, ie Cake or Death,  then "Cake please". 

That's not to say that if someone comes at you with a club, or Tiki Torch, you let them hurt you. But enough with the vandalism and violence to stop free speech you don't care for. 

Look at the Boston rally. Tens of thousands of anti Nazi protesters, and less than 100 of the Nazis. And one guy at the Boston gathering,  a liberal, held people back to let the Nazi doofuses go join their group. He said they have a right to their stupidity, and when we let them speak, we find out how idiotic they sound.  

2 hours ago, oakville said:

Joe is talking about the list of horrors that Arpaio committed. Wasn't he convicted for contempt of court? Why wasn't he convicted of torture based on what Joe is describing?

Chuck Todd ran down all the stuff Arpaio got in trouble for. Maricopa County has paid over millions in lawsuits, fines etc for the shit he's done. The first thing the media should stop doing is referring to him as "sheriff". He lost his re election bid. Let it be known that the County had had enough of his bullshit.  

• Love 5
Just now, oakville said:

Joe was mad at the lack of zoning laws in Houston. There is too much concrete & asphalt. the water can't soak into the ground.

Joe is 100% correct.  I work in RE development, and ignoring the need for zoning, not paying attention to flood plains, etc. is just asking for what happened over the weekend.   Planning & Zoning isn't just to say a strip bar can't be next to a church.  It insures that the land use works with how the land drains naturally, and what other uses are surrounding the land so proper infrastructure is built. Changes  need to be made to take into consideration the run off from adding concrete where there is ground that can absorb the water etc. 

All this stuff isn't just "government regulations run amuk". It is needed to ensure that everything works properly. Yes a rainfall like this in Houston is going to completely tax any drainage system. but as the rain was starting, it could have drained better and maybe helped it from being as bad as it is. We'll never know. 

And now on top of all the natural flooding, the dams are going to have to be released, so more shit hitting the fan. 

• Love 3

Joe is mad at Antifa. They aren't taking their masks off when they beat alt right whites. Mr Fancy accent swan said that AntiFa is pro fascist.

Joe does not like Ann Coulter. He said she should be allowed to speak at Berkeley.

Free speech is no longer allowed at Berkely according to Joe.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

And most of us know that. When there's a disaster we don't ask for your voter registration or ID to be sure you're a citizen, we help. 

I do agree with Joe etc on the anti fa group.  Just saw a story where a group of them beat a man into a coma because they "thought" he was a Nazi.  Look I think Ann Coulter and that Milo douchebag are disgusting assholes, but half of what they say is bullshit just to get attention.  If it's a choice between stress eating cake and ignoring these assholes, and beating people up at a rally, ie Cake or Death,  then "Cake please". 

That's not to say that if someone comes at you with a club, or Tiki Torch, you let them hurt you. But enough with the vandalism and violence to stop free speech you don't care for. 

Look at the Boston rally. Tens of thousands of anti Nazi protesters, and less than 100 of the Nazis. And one guy at the Boston gathering,  a liberal, held people back to let the Nazi doofuses go join their group. He said they have a right to their stupidity, and when we let them speak, we find out how idiotic they sound.  

Chuck Todd ran down all the stuff Arpaio got in trouble for. Maricopa County has paid over millions in lawsuits, fines etc for the shit he's done. The first thing the media should stop doing is referring to him as "sheriff". He lost his re election bid. Let it be known that the County had had enough of his bullshit.  

I don't understand why Arpaio was allowed to run a concentration camp in Arizona. Wouldn't other police agencies step in to prevent this? I thought that interment camps in the USA were disbanded after World War 2.

Isn't Phoenix part of Maricopa County? Why would voters allow a concentration camp to be operated in a big city?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Joe got mad at the new Axios reporter, Swan. Swan blamed Tillerson for not getting confirmable deputies. They have to be confirmed by the Senate but they don't have the qualifications. Joe got mad at him and said the White House is to blame.

Swan pushed back.

The new heroes of the Trump administration are Kelly, Mad Dog & Tillerson for standing up to Trump! Paul Ryan gets an honorable mention but Joe wants him to stop Trump's agenda.

They just don't know when to quit.  Yes, the buck should stop at the White Supremacist House, but I'm weary of the future Mr. and Mrs. Scarborough hailing people in the mis-administration as heroes only to have to walk back half the shit they said weeks before.  The weak-kneed fraud, Paul Ryan, and the word "honorable" don't even belong in the same sentence.  

I am glad that they called out the hypocrisy of the "freedom caucus," whose members don't believe public money should be spent for disasters or anything else.  But, once again Joe managed to make it all about himself when he talked about how much he hated omnibus bills while--wait for it--he was in Congress.

• Love 6

don't understand why Arpaio was allowed to run a concentration camp in Arizona. Wouldn't other police agencies step in to prevent this? I thought that interment camps in the USA were disbanded after World War 2.

Isn't Phoenix part of Maricopa County? Why would voters allow a concentration camp to be operated in a big city?

Probably a lot of people figured, if they're criminals or illegal immigrants, they don't deserve to be coddled with a/c and clean food. Perhaps after a period of time the press started exposing what he was doing. 

• Love 1

Yeah here's what puzzled me about this. Mattis alludes vaguely to trouble occurring at home, but it's not clear he's talking about Trump. For all I know he's doing an old-man rant about the "commie kids who start trouble with their protests" or some such shit.

Same with Tillerson. They're kvelling about him telling Wallace that Trump speaks for himself. If he had any stones he would quit working for such a man.

Barnicle is on set. Will he say anything useful?

Surprisingly, yes. Barnicle alluded to a chronology done by the Arizona New Times on the horror show that is Arpaio. I read it on Twitter this weekend and it is horrifying, I recommend checking it out. And props to Barnicle for mentioning it.

• Love 5

I posted some stuff about Arpaio in the Small Talk thread because I didn't see today's show so I don't know what was mentioned. Did someone really use the term concentration camp? Because, as bad as Arpaio turned out to be, I think that term is way off the mark and dilutes/cheapens the concept.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

Surprisingly, yes. Barnicle alluded to a chronology done by the Arizona New Times on the horror show that is Arpaio. I read it on Twitter this weekend and it is horrifying, I recommend checking it out. And props to Barnicle for mentioning it.

I didn't find that at first, I think it's the Phoenix New Times? Just skimmed it so far but the chronology I saw refers only to the time between his conviction and his pardon. I was hoping it was about his entire term in office, and documenting when he started to curdle.

52 minutes ago, MulletorHater said:

They just don't know when to quit.  Yes, the buck should stop at the White Supremacist House, but I'm weary of the future Mr. and Mrs. Scarborough hailing people in the mis-administration as heroes only to have to walk back half the shit they said weeks before.  The weak-kneed fraud, Paul Ryan, and the word "honorable" don't even belong in the same sentence.  

I am glad that they called out the hypocrisy of the "freedom caucus," whose members don't believe public money should be spent for disasters or anything else.  But, once again Joe managed to make it all about himself when he talked about how much he hated omnibus bills while--wait for it--he was in Congress.

Mika & Joe make me laugh. A few weeks ago they demanded that everyone quit the White House because Trump blamed both sides for violence in Charlottsville. Now they are applauding Tillerson & Mattis for pushing back against President SuperVillain. Make up your minds Mika & Joe.

Joe went on a rant at 8 20- 825 am against Berkeley!. Who is running Berkeley he shouted. His hair flew up 2 inches.

Mika attacked mentally stunted snowflakes at Berkeley & other colleges for being afraid of free speech.

Joe defended friends of the show like Condi Rice & Christine Lagarde for trying to speak on college campuses.

Aussie man said no one will hire the snowflakes.  Joe trashed the far left snowflakes. LOL! Angry Joe is back!

Joe bragged that he read the National Review & Republic when he was in college. Joe said he read the NY Times.

Joe trashed Democrats for being disconnected. Joe hates the Brooklyn Bubble.

Joe said he was booed in Law School at the University of Florida for stating the law. I can just imagine Joe shouting in a college classroom.

Confessore said there is a right wing bubble as well.

Joe is pointing fingers on sets. Barnicle is mad at snowfakes. ! Mika said all the snowflakes are winners!

Joe is mocking 'Law & Order" . What?

Turley is up next!

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, suomi said:

I posted some stuff about Arpaio in the Small Talk thread because I didn't see today's show so I don't know what was mentioned. Did someone really use the term concentration camp? Because, as bad as Arpaio turned out to be, I think that term is way off the mark and dilutes/cheapens the concept.

Barnicle used the term concentration camp.

1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

Probably a lot of people figured, if they're criminals or illegal immigrants, they don't deserve to be coddled with a/c and clean food. Perhaps after a period of time the press started exposing what he was doing. 

I understand that Arpaio allowed harsh conditions at camps that housed illegal immigrants. However, when I think of concentration camps, I think of Nazi Concentration camps where people being gassed & starved to death. I am pretty sure that is not allowed in Arizona.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, oakville said:

I understand that Arpaio allowed harsh conditions at camps that housed illegal immigrants. However, when I think of concentration camps, I think of Nazi Concentration camps where people being gassed & starved to death. I am pretty sure that is not allowed in Arizona.

Exactly. But the conditions in the tents and the jails were pretty horrendous. Not concentration camp horrendous, but also not basic human needs. Spoiled food, sleeping on the ground, outside in 107 degree heat, etc. 

• Love 3