Type keyword(s) to search

Sleepy Hollow in the Media

Nicole posted on Instagram that she wasn't invited to do the DVD commmentary. Would it be unusual to not have the show's co-lead on the commentary? I've never bought a TV show on DVD. I'm sure they get paid extra for commentary so that's an income opportunity lost.

Does anyone have the Season 1 DVD? I'm curious who was on the commentary.

This friggin show...what on earth is going on in behind the scenes with this show? Is this Goffman's last slap in the face to Beharie and the "thuggish fans?"

I'm back and forth almost hourly on whether the show is getting renewed, and it's times like this that make me think no. Massive shade from Orlando, ramped up from Mison and now Beharie, who is normally silent. What does that tell you?

Season 1 commentary had Mison, Beharie, Wiseman and Iscove (I believe) just chatting over the last season one episode - so basically chatting randomly about stuff for an hour. It is fun to listen to it and they are very funny. It's where we got this exchange. Beharie: "I was glad that you were reunited with your wife." Mison: "I wasn't!! All she could do was twirl a stick." Everyone: *laughter*

For what it's worth, no one mentioned Katia Winter at all. Katrina was mentioned, but not Winter. Orlando and Lyndie were mentioned and praised but no one commented on Winter. I felt bad for her at the time because it seemed so glaring. Now I'm just pissed off for other reasons.

I don't know. Maybe this time they will have Orlando, Greenwood and Winter doing it, to spread the "wealth."

• Love 4
(edited)

Is there a link to that tweet from Nicole? I follow her on Twitter and have nothing in my timeline about her not being asked to do the DVD commentary.

DERP. Reading fail. it was instagram not Twitter.  NEVER MIND

Edited by catrox14

Would it be a good thing to start a twitter campaign directed at the Sleepy Hollow account, or would that backfire and make them all the more stubborn against Nicole's fans?  It is very distressing to me to see her treated this way and I'd like to show my support for her.

• Love 1

What in the entire actual fuck? What is it they don't get about her being the STAR? I mean I wouldn't want Nicole to have to sit through three quarters of the episodes, but Mama is begging for a nice Lyndie/Nicole commentary. Not that I listen to them most of the time they are pretty boring and uninformative rather than the fun kind of MST3K perfectly timed snark/insight or Pop Up Video.

• Love 5

From EW's review of TF:

This iteration of the First American makes a strong case for why Franklin is generally depicted as the Founding Fathers’ answer to Michelangelo. (The Ninja Turtle, not the artist; Washington is Leonardo, Jefferson is Donatello, John Adams is Raphael.)

LOL

Katrina’s tossing fireballs like she learned dark magic at Rumplestiltskin’s knee. (Well, until she stops and lets her minion step forward to take on her husband, which seems like a bad move—couldn’t she just kill Crane herself? Gotta love that even at her most effective, she’s still the same Katrina.)

LOL

Does Katrina’s death mean next season’s opening credits have to be re-jiggered?

Yes PLEASE!

• Love 4
(edited)

Nicole Beharie on Instagram:

When the show ur on doesn't invite you do to DVD commentary...

https://instagram.com/p/zvlia1jaQ7/

This is just all kinds of WRONG!

My first question is who did get invited? if it's just the writers/EPs doing commentary, that would be OK. However, if Tom Mison and/or Katia Winter plus Goffman do the commentary i'd have to echo the WTF? Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

The only acceptable answer is Orlando and Lyndie.  Nobody cares what Goffman has to say and it would be uber shady to have Tom without Nicole.

One of the best things about Psych's commentary was how for most years the main 2 did the commentary, along with the creator and main cast. They only started bullshitting in later seasons, when they let the guy from Craft Services do a commentary.

• Love 3

Perhaps Goffman is trying to tank the show because he's been effectively removed? Or he's just pissy because he's been removed?

NB actually mentioning this online though is worrisome - she usually never dips a toe into this kind of stuff - it makes me think something is up behind the scenes...

If the show was already canceled, I can't see NB caring about it much... she'd just move on. But if this is a final act of Goffman trying to throw a final hissy fit before he finally fades to black while the show continues without him, then I could see it.

What shade has Tom been throwing? I've been out of pocket on vacation so I've missed a bit.

• Love 2

But if this is a final act of Goffman trying to throw a final hissy fit before he finally fades to black while the show continues without him, then I could see it.

Goffman would never fade to black.  He'd fade to cream with a red top not found in nature.

• Love 10
(edited)

This is the epitome of shady.  Nicole's not doing any of the commentaries?  Even if Goffman is out, are they trying to fuck this up even more?  I was on the fence about getting the DVD already, given how weak this season was, but I'm definitely not spending my money if they're dogging Nicole out like this.  

Not being well-versed in anything media related, I wonder if the commentary stuff was settled months ago, back when the season started and they were betting all their cards on Katrina being the new favorite.  I wouldn't be surprised if Katia is supposed to be featured on some of those commentaries and now they're having second thoughts.

EDIT: Has it been confirmed that Goffman isn't coming back?  I haven't heard anything about it.

Edited by Amethyst
  • Love 4

It's all kinds of wrong, indeed! They are horrible storytellers and even worse human beings. There is a bright side to this though, the only good reason to buy the DVDs for this awful season is gone.

• Love 1
(edited)

Jared and Jensen haven't done DVD commentaries since season 2 of Supernatural I think. This is season 10.

1) It should be their choice.

2) If one was invited to do commentary, but not the other, it would be all kinds of wrong.

Hashtag to have Berharie commentary -- gotta have it for Mama!!! -- is #KeepItBeharie

A tweet from Anika Noni Rose (who I love!!): @NikkiBeharie Don't let 'em steal your joy. Don't let 'em make you feel unworthy. You r worthy. You are everything. And they fear your fire! 

(Wouldn't be cool to see Nikki and Anika in a muysical?)

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 6

How many times has this instagram post been forwarded to Dana

Walden, Gary Newman and Aaron Baiers with a ???????  TheOrlandoJones has seen it because he posted one of the replies, but didn't comment.

(edited)

Check out the poll at http://www.eonline.com/news/629545/2015-tv-s-top-couple-tournament-vote-in-round-1-now  -- Ichie and Abbie are beating Maggie and Glenn from The Walking Dead, but not by muich.

Abbie and Ichabod survived to Round 2 - which is now open for voting.  They are now up against Fitz and Olivia (Scandal).  I voted in all the games to support the shows I liked, not necessarily because I ship all the couples.

http://www.eonline.com/news/631054/2015-tv-s-top-couple-tournament-vote-for-your-favorites-in-round-2-now

Edited by tv echo

It should be their choice.

Well I'm not sure I'd go that far (IMO who does commentaries on what seems completely arbitrary and haphazard on most of the shows I've purchased DVD's for), but in this case I don't think Nicole would have posted this unless it was perceived as a legitimate slight, aka Tom (and/or various other cast) and not her, What bothers me even more is that IF anyone were going to get snubbed you'd think it would be Orlando since he shades the way the show has been handled by TPTB so publicly and consistently. 

It reads like those behind the scenes (GOFFMAN) are holding Nicole responsible for all the backlash directed his way. Every time I think I can't hate this dude any more, he finds a lower place.

• Love 7

Goodness, NB must have kidnapped and tortured someone's puppy. 

I don't even care if there's a change of heart, I think I want the show to be cancelled and NB (and the rest) to be able to go on to other projects that treat them as assets.  I'll gladly follow them to their next projects.

• Love 4

I swear FOX is doing a social media experiment with the SH fandom as guinea pigs.

FOX Exec: "Let's see how the fans react when we do this: a) release a synopsis that is insulting to WOC b) deny our WOC the opportunity to do commentary on S2 c) have the actors do 180's every week on what they want to see on the show re: Ichabbie d) see how long the fans will demand S3 renewal, while we drag our heels e) get the writers to insult the majority of the fans just for kicks by calling them 'not true fans', but also suddenly jump to their side and praise them f) see how long they can tolerate a terrible written person of no redeeming character.

FOX Exec: "Excellent idea! And let's not forget to promote the hell out of Empire and tell the public that we LOVE shows with diversity!"

• Love 3

Honest to gods...you know it's been tough being an Arrow fan this season...and it's always wacky being a part of the SPNFamily but this stuff is so completely BSC with Sleepy Hollow that I'm almost wondering if it's a meta performance. It's like  Andy Kaufman or Joaquin Phoenix performance art.

• Love 4
(edited)

OMFG. I dropped this show after the midseason finale, and put off watching any of the new episodes until I knew Katrina was dead after the finale, and I saw that people were generally pleased with the last few episodes. So I caught up (skipped a few early ones), and felt a little hope that things were turning around for this show. But now I'm right back where I was in December. If they don't get rid of WHOEVER it is who continues to slight Nicole Beharie and Abbie Mills, this show will never have a chance. And it doesn't deserve one. If it's all on Goffman, great, then can him and find someone--maybe a woman? maybe a person of color?--who gives a shit about Abbie's perspective and who views NB as the lead/co-lead of this show.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 6

Heh Fox Brodcasting remember when you ran these DELIGHTFUL promos for Sleepy Hollow which showed off BOTH your leads and their amazing chemistry *together* to amazing effect? Try more of that less insulting and disrespecting your lead actress and all her many vocal fans. Asshats.

• Love 6
(edited)

Well I'm not sure I'd go that far (IMO who does commentaries on what seems completely arbitrary and haphazard on most of the shows I've purchased DVD's for)

I think that, unless the leads are terrible at commentary (and some people are better than others -- James Goldman's commentary on The Lion in Winter is pretty bad at times), they should do some commentary.  How they felt about a line or a moment would be interesting I think.

It's fairly moot to me, since commentary, for some reason, doesn't fall under ADA rules and is therefore rarely close-captioned.

Edited by jhlipton
(edited)

I swear FOX is doing a social media experiment with the SH fandom as guinea pigs.

Maybe this is some kind of IQ test for the general public?   Against my better judgement I am watching a show on FOX.  I clearly am asking to be punished.  Didn't I learn my lesson when they canceled Enlisted?

I generally don't have a lot of sympathy for actors - they chose a profession that is visible and subject to criticism as a given.  But Nicole has been very positive throughout the season that has been dismissive of her character and her considerable appeal as an individual.  If the payoff had been a better, more interesting story, I would have said "thems the breaks", but the effect was to drain all the unique quirkiness and joy out of the show.  To layer this on top of season 2?  There's just no way to make this right...

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 2

Heh Fox Brodcasting remember when you ran these DELIGHTFUL promos for Sleepy Hollow which showed off BOTH your leads and their amazing chemistry *together* to amazing effect? Try more of that less insulting and disrespecting your lead actress and all her many vocal fans. Asshats.

Weeps with the memories.

GAH! They're so adorable! I hope Sleepy Hollow is cancelled and they transplant Nikki and Tom to one of the NBC Chicago shows. They won't waste the chemistry.

According to one tweet:

it’s a FOX issue, not a Sleepy Hollow execs/producers issue. All that is scheduled and booked by FOX Home Entertainment. So if you’re still upset about Nicole and the mistreatment of her status as lead then please direct all efforts to foxtv

Sounds like we can't blame Goffman for this (although I still will).

• Love 6

Weeps with the memories.

GAH! They're so adorable! I hope Sleepy Hollow is cancelled and they transplant Nikki and Tom to one of the NBC Chicago shows. They won't waste the chemistry.

I don't want those two talents to be wasted in stale procedurals or medical dramas.  I want them in something clever and creative...like SH was in s1.

I need to see some info that Goffman fought for her to do the commentaries before I'll let him off the hook.

• Love 3

You jest (I think), but I feel like we're being punk'd.  The season just ended and crap is still coming out of the woodwork.  I can't think of a show that was sabotaged from within so damn fast.  Someone mentioned that they would love to see a book on what's really going on behind the scenes, and I agree.  They could call it "How to screw up a show in one season or less", by Mark Goffman."  

But it's even more baffling if Fox is behind this stuff with the commentaries.  They were the ones who made Goffman implement the much-needed changes in the latter half of s2.  So where does this come from?  I could see if they're ditching the commentaries altogether and just calling the season a wash, or they just want writers/producers doing the commentaries, but deliberately leaving out one of the stars that they know the audience is clamoring for?  It just doesn't make any sense.  I'm sticking with the theory that this was scheduled months in advance and they didn't count on the season being a bust.

• Love 3

I don't want those two talents to be wasted in stale procedurals or medical dramas.  I want them in something clever and creative...like SH was in s1.

I need to see some info that Goffman fought for her to do the commentaries before I'll let him off the hook.

Nothing about either of those shows is as stale as SH season 2, but I get your point.

So where does this come from?

I still think Kevin Reilly was distinct supporter of SH specifically and he was behind a lot of the early good equitable promotion of a huge gamble of a show at the time. So while it may well be that *some* people at Fox knew enough not to let Goffman exit Abbie/Nikki stage left, I don't believe that anyone in power there gives a good god damn about the show or it's cast/crew.

Additionally since it appears these arms are severed, it could be someone who doesn't even really watch the show on the reg saw these 18 episodes and figured Katia was the new lead and booked her instead and in exclusion to Nikki.

What is angry making is I can see so many ways this went down with out ANYONE giving it a second thought cause no one at base values the role Beharie plays in making Sleepy Hollow, Sleepy Hollow. SMH

• Love 3

But it's even more baffling if Fox is behind this stuff with the commentaries.  They were the ones who made Goffman implement the much-needed changes in the latter half of s2.  So where does this come from?  I could see if they're ditching the commentaries altogether and just calling the season a wash, or they just want writers/producers doing the commentaries, but deliberately leaving out one of the stars that they know the audience is clamoring for?  It just doesn't make any sense.  I'm sticking with the theory that this was scheduled months in advance and they didn't count on the season being a bust.

Wondering if the FOX execs okayed this in the past, probably before  the new CEOs took over, when KW was supposed to be the 'new' leading lady and doesn't realize NB wasn't asked to be involved.  There have got to be people at FOX scratching their heads and saying "What IS it with this program?" Of course if they ask us, a gazillion fingers will be pointed straight at one person in particular.

• Love 1

Wondering if the FOX execs okayed this in the past, probably before  the new CEOs took over, when KW was supposed to be the 'new' leading lady and doesn't realize NB wasn't asked to be involved.  There have got to be people at FOX scratching their heads and saying "What IS it with this program?" Of course if they ask us, a gazillion fingers will be pointed straight at one person in particular.

This whole SH thing just screams to me of ego and of complete miscommunication and mismanagement.

The show rarely if ever does promo. The core four rarely appear on talk shows. There are no promos or advertisements except for the bare minimum. Stuff like this I don't think is determined that early. There are steps and tasks to complete throughout a TV show season - think of project management - there are tasks to complete and milestones to hit by certaindates, and things to remember on the way. The DVD stuff and commentary is something a couple of people have probably been starting to focus on once the show's final episode was completed in its entirety (but not necessarily aired yet). Once production and post-production is done, they could now go onto the next task.

But it also depends on the availability of the actor/actress to do said commentary. I have other DVDs and movies where the main people don't do commentary, because a) they are too busy b) probably think it's beneath them at this point in their career.

Back to my original point. There is a clear disconnect and a complete lack of communication between the TV show and the network itself. No one can tell me that half of those people haven't got some type of clue as to the clusterfuck of this season and the backlash. All it takes is one of two people to hear about it, then water cooler talk happens and the word spreads. Ego may have something to do with it though - Kevin Reilly loved SH, and FOX kicked him out, so there may be an inadvertent hatred of the show at FOX, because the new PTB feel it is a reminder of Kevin Reilly and these people have large ego and arrogance and think they know better (sometimes they do).

But with the show runner and the writers and Abaiers (as K/O rep) and the cast knowing full well on what is happening and having to answer questions about the mess of season 2, there is something that doesn't make sense. FOX steps in to retool the show, but why, if they don't seem to want it to do well. Yet, they haven't cancelled it just yet, but at the same time, we are getting serious shade from the actors, promises from K/O and bitterness from the writers. You would think the writers would want to save their jobs at least, so would do extra things to make sure the show continues on.

I've never seen so much dysfunctional and miscommunication and LACK of communication within a group of showrunners and writers and TV network management ever. I've read passing comments on Joss Whedon and some of the Walking Dead earlier showrunners, but never a mess like this, *sigh*

FOX, just clean house. Get rid of Goffman. You can keep Metzner, but he never writes for Jenny. Get rid of the obviously Ichatrina-stan who is in the FOX promo department. Get your FOX guys to send the four out on interviews (assuming they want to). And for gods' sake ---> COMMUNICATE.

• Love 7

Ego may have something to do with it though - Kevin Reilly loved SH, and FOX kicked him out, so there may be an inadvertent hatred of the show at FOX, because the new PTB feel it is a reminder of Kevin Reilly

Yes it's my understanding this is fairly typical that when the head of network is out often everything they touched developmentally becomes an "orphan" in terms of promotion and backing, unless like Empire it's breaking records and even then there is shade being thrown at Reilly about how marvelous it's success is, shame about the short order stuff (and now the new suits plan is to treat it like Glee with a concert series and multiplatform branding! I now anticipate that show going tits up next season too.)

Someone asked Orlando is he's doing commentary:

Mary ‏@mollymargaret_ 8h8 hours ago

Did Orlando Jones give commentary? #sleepyhollow

Orlando JonesVerified account ‏@TheOrlandoJones

@mollymargaret_ nope

The usually sarcastic, almost always enthusiastic and at times loquacious Jones with a one word response. Hmmm....

So who is doing the commentary?

You know if this picks up traction, they may have screwed their DVD sales. Might as well get from iTunes or Amazon Instant Video and wait for the interesting bits of commentary to be posted.

• Love 2

Seems to me that if you knew this season was widely panned by almost everyone you would put your core four together in a booth and let them have fun together on the commentary. 

It's really the best thing they could do to get most to rewatch any of these episodes.

• Love 6
(edited)

Goffman would never fade to black.  He'd fade to cream with a red top not found in nature.

You mean a wig-stand?  Hee Hee

Sorry, couldn't help it. Moloch made me do it!

Edited by DJG1122
  • Love 2

Someone asked Orlando is he's doing commentary:

The usually sarcastic, almost always enthusiastic and at times loquacious Jones with a one word response. Hmmm....

Sorry to double post, but has anyone asked him if he knows who HAS been asked to do commentary? He may not be able to answer directly, but the magnificent, brilliant, incredibly talented, hysterically funny TheOrlandoJones  looks out for his friends and will find a way to say something.

• Love 1

Thoughts: as others have said, the fact that NB has piped up at all is worrying. In terms of both show fate and how bad things really are. Also, my suspicion is they didn't consider her for commentary on this season because she was hardly in any of it. Which means...what you think it means. KW commentary incoming.

• Love 2

Thoughts: as others have said, the fact that NB has piped up at all is worrying. In terms of both show fate and how bad things really are. Also, my suspicion is they didn't consider her for commentary on this season because she was hardly in any of it. Which means...what you think it means. KW commentary incoming.

You know it. Season 2 was all about CFD. Therefore it makes sense that Mison, Winter, and John Noble will do it, with Mark Goffman at their side, spouting his brilliant vision and how this was all planned from the start and how Katrina is wonderful as a "complex" character.

If Mison does do it - I really, really hope he ends up being shady as fuck and just make some off-handed snark here and there and there that make you smile like the Cheshire cat. He can 'blame' his Britishness for the American public for not "understanding" his true meaning. Becaues from stuff I've heard, Mison is quite protective of Beharie, and he's gushed about her from day one. You know he's not happy either - he just wisely remains silent.

I WILL say this - in the season 1 DVD, only Mison and Beharie did commentary with Wiseman and Iscove. So it makes sense to have the others do season 2 (especially since two of them were killed off). However, because this season was such a mess in marginalizing any of the POC, this is such a slap in the face. If we didn't have the fuckery of season 2, Beharie not doing commentary wouldn't even be an issue. It's just the putrid icing on the rancid cake that is the mess that is SH.

*sigh*

• Love 6

Since NB (Abbie) and OJ (Frank) are not invited to the DVD commentary sessions then I am guessing LG (Jenny) is not invited as well. OMG! This leaves us with the most undesired group to do the commentary on the DVD! Yikes! This must be the reason why NB finally spoke up cause all the minorities were not invited. I totally feel like this is a big FU to the fans before the cancellation is announce or something. 

• Love 4

Since NB (Abbie) and OJ (Frank) are not invited to the DVD commentary sessions then I am guessing LG (Jenny) is not invited as well. OMG! This leaves us with the most undesired group to do the commentary on the DVD! Yikes! This must be the reason why NB finally spoke up cause all the minorities were not invited. I totally feel like this is a big FU to the fans before the cancellation is announce or something.

Well The Following got off to a 1.6/4.86 start - so that isn't helpin SH renewal chances

• Love 1