Type keyword(s) to search

S41.E12: Larry David / The 1975

• Start Topic

I didn't like Rudnitsky's Dirty Dancing routine at all. Besides it going on for way too long, I kept wondering why it was for a movie from 1987? That just meant to me that Jon isn't too funny or current.

I'm pretty sure that in the intro, Colin and Michael tied it into the rumor (or fact?) that there's a "Dirty Dancing Live!" special in the works for NBC. So that makes it topical. I thought he did a great job--and I usually hate mime, so there you go.

• Love 4

I'm pretty sure that in the intro, Colin and Michael tied it into the rumor (or fact?) that there's a "Dirty Dancing Live!" special in the works for NBC. So that makes it topical. I thought he did a great job--and I usually hate mime, so there you go.

Thanks for that possible tie-in that I apparently missed, but the skit still wasn't funny. Maybe Jon will find his footing, and establish a couple of characters before this season ends.

Guess that's why the term "mileage varies" was created. I thought Jon was hilarious.

Yeah, in the last episode, I posted "I wonder what Jon Rudnitsky did in his audition to get hired".  I'm assuming it was this bit of physical comedy, and if so, I get why he was hired.  I completely lost it when he started skipping rope with the intestines, and that even during the shootout, he still kept doing some dance moves.  

• Love 3

Yeah, in the last episode, I posted "I wonder what Jon Rudnitsky did in his audition to get hired".  I'm assuming it was this bit of physical comedy, and if so, I get why he was hired.  I completely lost it when he started skipping rope with the intestines, and that even during the shootout, he still kept doing some dance moves.  

Yes, that's what I loved best about it - he effortlessly bounced from dance to mime and back to dance.  And I say this as someone who usually hates mime.

• Love 2

I just watched Jon's Dirty Dancing bit again. If anything, I laughed even harder. I understand not everyone liked it, but what better film from 1987 to make fun of? Just because it's not "current" doesn't mean it's not ripe for parody. EVERYONE has seen Dirty Dancing multiple times. Especially those of us of the female gender. The thought crossed my mind that Patrick Swayze would probably have laughed as hard as any of us.(Flashback to "Dirty Square Dancing")

I would also like to thank Kenan for making me laugh so hard I scared my dogs during the FBI training sketch:"Why does he have a friend AND a storyline?"

And yes, more props to Kenan during Last Call. The "police line do not cross" tape.And the guy Larry David played during Last Call was TOO much like my late husband's best friend. Including the hair.EWW.

I guess I'm one of the few people in America who never saw Curb Your Enthusiasm, but it doesn't matter. Larry David is awesome.

• Love 5
I just watched Jon's Dirty Dancing bit again. If anything, I laughed even harder. I understand not everyone liked it, but what better film from 1987 to make fun of? Just because it's not "current" doesn't mean it's not ripe for parody.

In my case, I didn't care that it was an old film. I just didn't find it funny. I like silly, but that was just ... endless. It was like watching my nephew act out for far too long.  Of course, YMMV. 

I far more enjoyed the other 80s-era sketch, about Kevin Roberts. The ending was weak. But the silly set up was fun and Keenan's reactions were better. Any sketch that has me wondering "What in the world?" as I try to figure out the hook is a winner in my book. 

EVERYONE has seen Dirty Dancing multiple times.

I am in my 50s and have never seen it, though I have seen parts of it here and there. It ain't no Ferris Bueller.

Edited by Ottis

I loved Kevin Roberts because it seemed so out there for Larry David. Like, who thought of putting him in that suit and wig? Worlds away from George Costanza--loved it.

Yeah, I had no idea that was Larry David. For a second, I thought they somehow got Bob Odenkirk. Say what you will about the writers, cast, etc. but those wardrobe & makeup folks are impressive as hell.

• Love 1

Well he's said many times that he created the Costanza character and modeled him after himself.

And at every tableread, Jason Alexander would say "no one acts like this"  and Larry would explain to him that it did indeed happen to him and to keep reading (and basically shut up).

Just realized rewatching the episode and the John Rudnitsky does his "Dirty Dancing" bit that "Time of My Life" playing isn't the original version by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warren but sung by Kenan and Cecily!

• Love 1