Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: Sun of a Gun

Sylvester comes face to face with his estranged father, a retired general, who asks Team Scorpion for help when he believes that a dictator in Africa has uncovered a deadly World War II-era weapon of mass destruction and intends to use it

So did the dictator really have an IQ of 203? Or did his sycophants just tell him that to massage his ego?

• Love 3

I can't remember, but is this the first time they ever had Paige sing?  I mean, I knew it was bound to happen since it is Katherine McPhee, but I can't remember if had did it in a past episode.

Also can't remember if we had heard much about Sylvester's father in the past, but I'm not surprised that he ended up being a military man, who had problems bonding with him.  Not new to that particular story-line, but Jeff Fahey is always a treat.

I noticed they found a way to have Toby have to stay back this time, instead of Sylvester.  But I noticed in general, that the past few episodes have one member remain behind.  I wonder if there behind the scenes reasons, like giving actors breaks from being in action scenes all the time.

I suspect the whole "Speed Dating" opening will end up being more then laughs, since Brooke Nevin (Julianne from the brief, but highly entertaining Breakout Kings) was randomly there, looking at Walt.  Potential future love interest?

I can't remember, but is this the first time they ever had Paige sing?  I mean, I knew it was bound to happen since it is Katherine McPhee, but I can't remember if had did it in a past episode.

I remember Katherine singing, but I'm not sure if it's from another show.

I loved that this African "country" was clearly in California.

No this wasn't the first time Katherine has sung on the show. She seems to do it at least once a season.

I think the dictator saying his IQ was 203, was a thinly veiled dick measuring move to say "mine is bigger than yours". It was obvious out was a vanity IQ number with a 100 +/- range.

(edited)

I'm pretty sure this is the third time, but the others may have been briefer.

Sylvester and his father literally stuck facing each other was a metphor too far, especially since they were just re-using the quick sand prop from this week's Supergirl set. Yeah, I know, Supergirl shouldn't get bogged down in quick sand.

I like that guy, he must be #1 on speed-dial for "African dictator" roles.

He's Hakeem Kae-Kazim, and, according to IMDb, he was actually born in Nigeria and, "classically trained in the UK at the highly regarded Bristol Old Vic and soon after graduation was invited to join the Royal Shakespeare Company." I found it refreshing that he wasn't a one-note mustache twirler. Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

The high point of this episode for me: seeing that Sylvester kept a bandaid "wedding band" on his ring finger (although the tree-hugger within wished that he would have replaced it with a metal ring, for the environment's sake).

The low point: enduring another plot about daddy issues. I'm not fond of the trope in general; I think it's overused on tv. And while the underlying theme of Scorpion is "we're different, we have problems dealing with people," so parent-child relationship problems are possibly more likely, I'm annoyed at the writers for returning to this same well for yet another member of our little team.

The whole speed-dating thing was a hot mess. First of all: all of the women in the young dating pool were attractive and seemed normal and approachable; while the women in the "sunset" pool were frumpy and stereotypically eccentric. This is annoying from a show that also gives us a very attractive and very in-charge and on-point Peri Gilpin. I know they're just playing it for base comedy, but the entertainment industry has generations of mature-woman-bashing to recover from, let's not backslide, please? Second: Walter is a "genius." Even if he doesn't grasp the human "why"s of interacting with people, Walter should be able to learn to navigate the most common situations, at least imitating what a "normal" person would say and do. Anyone who cares about him could have produced a basic flow chart with basic cues and responses. Sigh. And Paige isn't helping him with vague recommendations to lie, if necessary. All they really have to tell him is that he should filter, and not vocalize every thought that comes into his head.

• Love 4

On this show, she sang a lullaby to Ralph in the first season, and there might have been another time, but this was the most they showed of her singing in public.  I was surprised they didn't have someone comment on how good she was--that has potential to be a running joke about how no one notices, though.  I liked how relatively organic they worked it in.

The African dictator might not have had an IQ of 203, but he did have that solar super weapon.  I liked how they verified it with paper airplanes.  That was both goofy and a nod to the idea of science at the same time.

The quick-set mortar was a bit silly, and if memory serves Sylvester treating their imminent death as almost balanced out by being right was nicely in character.

• Love 3

Paige has sung at the secret peace talks ( the Old Country lullaby that calmed the heads of state), she's sang to Ralph ( I'm blanking on which episode, but I believe you), and this instance. There might have been one other time, but I'm not positive.

I liked that Happy asked Paige about how Paige felt about the speed dating. It shows that Happy is branching out socially. Granted, it could mess with group dynamics if Paige had a problem- not unlike all the fretting over Happy/Toby- but Happy doesn't speak much outside of shop talk, so I saw this as another step forward.

Last season, in the episode with the hikers and the forest fire, Sylvester's dad being military came up. That prompted the sweet-seeming interaction with the man Sylvester rescued with his insane genius strength. I was hoping we'd meet Sly's dad, I just didn't expect it this soon. I was glad that Jeff Fahey was chosen because I enjoy him. His eyes were excellent at the end; you could tell there was a lot he wanted to say, but obviously wasn't sure what and how much. Settling on "Your mother..." was good. I am glad that Sly didn't count it out, not just because it might be a good thing for him, but I'm curious about the formula! Jeff Fahey + who?= Ari Steadman!  *g*  Valerie Harper?

Also, nice Ralph/Happy!  Tele-nursing with Ralph was fun. Beef barley soup and Wile E. Coyote cartoons; a man of simple needs, our Toby. 

About the "Sunset Cove" : a) Was that Catherine Hicks as the cat sweater lady? and b) ICAM with Reishe about how women in Cabe's age group were handed an unfunny disservice!  ( Also, Cabe not knowing what AARP is. Really show? Cabe may not be signed up, but he is aware of the world, so stop it.) If we can get Peri Gilpin , why can't there at least be a mix of cat ladies and hot ladies and fake British accent ladies?  I also resent the "sunset" designation. Just because there is mileage, doesn't mean you are on your last treads.

Oh, almost forgot, lost among the other nutty clichés:  the "delicacies" of whisky and boiled potatoes.  If that didn't scream asshole, especially as he told Walter several times that he read up on Walter, then Walter needs to read a few hard-boiled detective books to get the feel for people lying to cover-up plans. Yeah, I snerked at the reveal of the potatoes, but the dictator knew what was up, just not how.

• Love 1

On this show, she sang a lullaby to Ralph in the first season, and there might have been another time, but this was the most they showed of her singing in public.  I was surprised they didn't have someone comment on how good she was--that has potential to be a running joke about how no one notices, though.  I liked how relatively organic they worked it in.

Thanks, I remembered that.

I love how just two bags of lime were enough to fill a room ! The amount of water they used would have just diluted it far too much to create anything resembling mortar - plus it doesn't set for hours !!

I really wish they would employ a fact checker on the show for the technical / science aspects - it would make it far more believeable ! Most newspapers can afford one so i am sure they could !

Oh, look. A member of the Scorpion team grew up misunderstood by parents, and then has the chance to demonstrate to that parent what a badass he is. There's a new plot for this show. I really like this show despite the questionable science, and beyond lightspeed ability to travel long distances. But, really? We got it the first time. Can we please go back to fun plots in which geniuses are put into Bond-like situations using technology that Q and MacGyver would envy?

This is the first time I'm seriously confused by the show. I literally don't understand a word of their made-up science, and how they got out of the various traps they found themselves in. I hope the afterbuzz podcast episode will help enlighten me. 

Like.. for example, weren't they all wearing earpieces?.... how did the partygoers not hear that Sly and Ken were stuck???

Edited: the duet between Elyes and Katherine was just adorable. and you could see they werent in character when they were doing that.

Edited by Big Mother

I am already getting sick of "let's find an excuse to have her sing on this show again" even though I love that song.

Sly+Colonel was way too after-school-special for me. The whole thing rang emotionally false and SUPER trite. And I mean SUPER even for this show. Or I guess, exactly, this show.

I also loathe the thing where Happy says all of this falling for him blah blah fishcakes entirely outloud in a normal tone of voice THREE FEET FROM TOBY'S FACE. I mean yeah he's sleeping and sick and probably on cough medicine, so might be reasonable to guess he won't wake up super easily, but unless part of the point was she totally didn't care if he heard her I am thoroughly annoyed by the scene.

the duet between Elyes and Katherine was just adorable. and you could see they werent in character when they were doing that.

Silly and fun, par for the course with this show.  My biggest laugh was Toby's "OMG, I have to record this".  I also laughed when Ralph said "gross" to Happy saying she liked Toby, and Happy agreeing.  Though I wanted to hurl when we see the bartender sneeze RIGHT INTO TOBY'S DRINK ewwwwww!!!

I liked Happy asking Paige about how she felt about Walter online dating.  I also noticed that in the Ralph/Happy scene, we find out that Happy is the one who knew all of Toby's favorite things.  I like the progression they're showing with her. 

Also a little tired of the Daddy issues, though I like Jeff Fahey.  I guess with Syl it's parent issues, since he hasn't seen his mom in a while either.   Does Toby have parent issues??? I don't remember any, though I figure he must on this show.

I wasn't too amused by Cabe getting wacky cat ladies and such, though Walter did get wacky impressions gal.  I think Cabe knows what AARP is, he just didn't want to admit he could use their discounts.    I'm fine with Walter dating (wish he hadn't given up on the ferret videos, hee) but I'll get tired of jealous Paige very quickly.

I don't remember the episode, but they did decide (after they kissed, maybe?) not to date each other because they work together.  Ray did tell Paige she would have to make the first move.  I can see that happening.

This is the first time I'm seriously confused by the show. I literally don't understand a word of their made-up science, and how they got out of the various traps they found themselves in. I hope the afterbuzz podcast episode will help enlighten me. 

Like.. for example, weren't they all wearing earpieces?.... how did the partygoers not hear that Sly and Ken were stuck???

Sly said his earpiece fell out when the hatch got welded shut. I guess Ken didn't have one.