Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: The Hurricane

yeswedo

The cast members, all dieting for a bathing-suit scene, get stuck together when a hurricane hits Miami, with Ana taking control and leading the search for food. Meanwhile, Isaac builds up courage to ask Roxie for a date.

It's a fun, if silly show and I love it. 

Often times when an actor/actress directs an episode, they minimze their part.  I was glad to see that Ms Longoria didn't feel the need to do that, and it worked beautifully.

• Love 1

My husband came in on the end of this episode, having never seen the show before. He was laughing not even knowing the plotline, and interested. Trust me when I say telenovelas turn him off. I can't even get him into Jane The Virgin.

I think Telenovela has so much potential, but I'm not sure it's been promoted the best. It has enough broad comedy that it could appeal to a lot of different people.

• Love 1

Loved the split second when we see the older actress with her screwed up makeup, scared me as well

I can relate to Mimi, no matter who blows out my hair if there is humidity I look like a poodle in two seconds!

Edited by Texasmom1970
  • Love 3

I've never had much interest in Eva Longoria one way or the other but I absolutely love this show. They have a great cast and manage to hit all the right notes with their humor. Loved the bit with Mimi's hair (though I wish my curls looked half as good as Mimi's). It was fun to see Roselyn Sanchez as the disinterested weather lady (clearly a relation of Carmen's from Devious Maids). But my favorite bit was the scrawl at the bottom of her forecast proclaiming the rebuilt McKinley Lighthouse had been knocked down again. Golden Girls reference FTW!

• Love 4
Is NBC doing much advertising for this show? I only found it because my TiVo recommended it.

They were pushing it back a few weeks ago when they played the first couple episodes back to back, but come to think, I haven't seen any promos for it lately.

Noticed this on the DVR, so I gave it a shot for the first time since the pilot. Man, what a pile of shit! Why do they go for the broadest, most obvious jokes? I'm surprised nobody has gotten a pie in the face yet.

• Love 1

Noticed this on the DVR, so I gave it a shot for the first time since the pilot. Man, what a pile of shit! Why do they go for the broadest, most obvious jokes? I'm surprised nobody has gotten a pie in the face yet.

Because it's a campy, over-the-top parody of Spanish soap operas.
  • Love 1

I think I'll head to the PalMart to buy some Wheat Thangs and N&Ns. Who's coming with me?

Is NBC doing much advertising for this show? I only found it because my TiVo recommended it.

Not sure about how much advertising is done, I started watching it after reading comments here and now I'm thinking Previously.tv should absolutely make deals with networks that if forums bring viewers over, ptv gets some cash :)

(Edited because I must be the only one who only sees typos once my post is posted - sheesh)

Edited by NutMeg

Because it's a campy, over-the-top parody of Spanish soap operas.

So is Jane The Virgin. One gets it very right, one gets it very wrong. When all of the characters are over the top parodies, there's no contrast to balance them out - witness Rogelio on Jane, who is balanced by a number of other characters. It's just bad writing here.

• Love 1

So is Jane The Virgin. One gets it very right, one gets it very wrong. When all of the characters are over the top parodies, there's no contrast to balance them out - witness Rogelio on Jane, who is balanced by a number of other characters. It's just bad writing here.

I would describe Jane the Virgin as an actual Telenovela that also pokes fun at the genre.  Whereas this show is more of a telenovela parody with elements of industry parody.  

• Love 2

I would describe Jane the Virgin as an actual Telenovela that also pokes fun at the genre.  Whereas this show is more of a telenovela parody with elements of industry parody.  

I would agree.  JTV is a straight up telenovela/dramedy.  A telenovela with comedic elements but one that takes their characters and their situations seriously for the most part.  The other characters don't exist to ground Rogelio.  Rogelio exists to provide an almost guaranteed bit of comedy/levity. 

Yes, this show is sillier overall but I don't see silly as better or worse, just different.  And I enjoy it.

• Love 3