Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E03: Jackie and Richard

How does one spend a million dollars on teddy bears?

Maybe it's like that woman with the dolls last season (I think).  Some were given to her, some were her mom's - and they became valuable.  That woman actually had some quality stuff worth some $$$$, but she wouldn't part with it.

It remains to be seen if this person has anything of quality, or if they blew a ton of money on Boyd's stuff (I know people who have done that, although not that much).

Wait. Jackie's son was assembling explosives IN the house?? And not just putting bombs together but igniting them and that's how he lost his fingers! What kind of Unabomber shit is that?

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 6

Jackie's story was full of weird. Her son and the explosives, her million dollar severance, WTF?? I thought her paranoia might just be a way to divert attention from the hoard but when she started talking at the reveal so matter of factly about people hiding in her house, she seemed legitimately nuts.

I felt sorry for all the people who loaded up those trucks for the auction. What a waste of time!

• Love 7

Who did Jackie think was stealing the teddy bears? Were people hiding under the piles of bears and only coming out at night? Are we sure the bears weren't just coming alive and walking out of that shitshow themselves?

Maybe the sons detached fingers were walking the bears out of the house.

• Love 8

Jackie's story was full of weird. Her son and the explosives, her million dollar severance, WTF?? I thought her paranoia might just be a way to divert attention from the hoard but when she started talking at the reveal so matter of factly about people hiding in her house, she seemed legitimately nuts.

I felt sorry for all the people who loaded up those trucks for the auction. What a waste of time!

I was amazed at Jackie's turnaround until that horrible moment when she said she had to clean up her house because she couldn't see the people that were hiding/living inside it. I knew the bears were coming back asap.

• Love 7

Why does the one guy call Adult Protective Services for Richard but Jackie and her imaginary house guests were allowed to stay in the house alone? Well, not alone because the imaginary people are with her but still. Jackie seemed like she needed to be in a care home more than Richard.

I wouldn't be able to do this job. These people have more patience than I could ever have. If somebody got hysterical over losing a teddy bear or a piece of rotted food from 1987 I wouldn't be able to stop myself from telling them that they're crazy. Which makes me feel bad because I guess they are in a way.

It takes a special kind of person to be able to handle these kinds of cases.

• Love 8

Why does the one guy call Adult Protective Services for Richard but Jackie and her imaginary house guests were allowed to stay in the house alone? Well, not alone because the imaginary people are with her but still. Jackie seemed like she needed to be in a care home more than Richard.

I wouldn't be able to do this job. These people have more patience than I could ever have. If somebody got hysterical over losing a teddy bear or a piece of rotted food from 1987 I wouldn't be able to stop myself from telling them that they're crazy. Which makes me feel bad because I guess they are in a way.

It takes a special kind of person to be able to handle these kinds of cases.

I'm going to guess it was because Jackie agreed to clean up, and although she certainly has issues, she wasn't deemed to be a threat to herself or others. 

Richard's house was uninhabitable, even if it was cleaned up there was way, way too much toxic mold to make it safe to live in.

These people are all mentally ill. That's why doctors are involved. 

• Love 1

Morgaen, you did the right thing by trying!  All you can do is get help to her and hope that she accepts it, and adjusts her habits accordingly, but if she didn't, that's all on her.  The paranoia about people always being in her house ready to steal more of her stuffed bears is quite disturbing, and sadly since she comes across as relatively sane the rest of the time, I know how hard / impossible it is to get enough assistance for her from a psychiatric standpoint. My mother had myriad problems, but could pull her act together in front of other people and seem totally fine and normal (outside of her house), and there was not one thing I could do to get her any real help.

I was super bummed to find out in the end that she ordered all the bears to be brought back from auction.  She could have used the money she would have gotten from them!  Of course, she would have probably used it to get more bears, or maybe even buy back the ones she sold, so...circle of teddy bear hoarding life, I guess.

It very much surprised me that Richard was so honest about his drinking.  In my experience, alcoholics tend to downplay their consumption by a large percentage, so when he said he drinks about every 20 minutes, I was floored.  Definitely has never been a problem for him in any way, though!  Yikes.  Sad.

Edited by Irritable
  • Love 2

My brother blew up his hand when he was about 16, playing with "explosives". He was apparently trying to built a "super firecracker" -- like putting three M80's together or some crazy. He didn't end up losing fingers luckily, but he had this poster of WC Fields that got splattered with blood and whatever, and that gory poster HAUNTED MY CHILDHOOD.

• Love 5

I hope Jackie gets some help.   I am sort of not believing the ending because you would think there would be an ironclad agreement about the removal of the bears in that they do not come back under any circumstances.  It costs a lot of money to remove so much garbage, so why wasn't she made to pay costs?

Also, as for an auction, I would hope there would be a disclaimer if an auction or sale were to take place that the items had been in a filthy house.

I would not be buying anything from a hoarder.

Edited by Cherrio
  • Love 3

This season has seemed to feature some really mentally ill folks. I know that hoarding itself is a mental illness thing, but I am referring to people for whom hoarding is maybe their second or third worst problem. I sort of hate watching that sort of episode, because it becomes so clear...what's it matter how many bears she has when she clearly has some serious, deep paranoia problems? It's hard to think about the actual mechanics of eliminating the hoard when all I can think about is this clearly mentally ill individual. BOTH of the people featured in this episode felt this way to me, and I hope they both get the help they need. I think having Richard in an assisted living facility is probably the best outcome they could have hoped for.

• Love 6

My brother blew up his hand when he was about 16, playing with "explosives". He was apparently trying to built a "super firecracker" -- like putting three M80's together or some crazy. He didn't end up losing fingers luckily, but he had this poster of WC Fields that got splattered with blood and whatever, and that gory poster HAUNTED MY CHILDHOOD.

Ha, my brother did something similar. He put like 40 firecrackers into a bucket (or something like that or maybe M80s) and burned his eyebrows and hair. I came into the house and he was in the bathroom cutting his hair and burned eyebrows off with a scissor and thinking my mother wouldn't notice! Meanwhile his skin was dark red! My mom knew!

He told me that he had lit "one" firecracker and when it didn't go off he went to check it and it blew up in his face. About 30 years later he told me what really happened, that it was numerous explosives but too late because I am deathly afraid of firecrackers ever since that day. These boys are too stupid!!

Edited by operalover
  • Love 1

I kept remembering when on this show, or on Hoarders: Buried Alive, there was an actual homeless woman living in the basement of a hoarder. I wonder if she got her idea from that episode?

I knew this woman was delusional, but I was hopeful when she was willing to have the teddy bears auctioned. Sad she couldn't go through with it.

My dvr cut off. I saw the first note that said Jackie got all the teddy bears back - was there anything else?

I think once she mentioned her paranoid delusions that the whole thing should have stopped immediately.

On the other hand - that was fake sobbing...not a tear to be seen. Those were to manipulate her family.

• Love 2

Wait. Jackie's son was assembling explosives IN the house?? And not just putting bombs together but igniting them and that's how he lost his fingers! What kind of Unabomber shit is that?

I wondered about that too. What was he doing with explosives in the house.

I knew Jackie was way to calm about giving up those bears. She had a really nice, airy house after the cleanup. Too bad...

BTW, could items like those bears which had been laying around for years unprotected really be auctioned off for a decent price?

• Love 1

Jackie is my god mother.i had put her on the show to help her. But in the end she took everything back.

Bless you all, Morgaen, Jackie is lucky to have people who care about her even if she's not able to recognize it.   I hope you all find a way to get her some mental health treatment.

I actually cheered toward the end of Richard's segments.  Finally, someone is getting treatment and is in assisted living.

• Love 3

Jackie made me sad, but I think there is hope for her. She's intelligent, has a good heart, and had respect for others. Medication and therapy may work for her. I hope it does.

"My name is Richard. I am a very loving man, and I collect rubbish". Sorry, but I had to laugh, because it sound like an awful dating profile no one answers.

• Love 3