Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: The Fog of War

From the episode thread for 1x11:

Thanks for the info. Wasn't expecting those characters to be a part of it (well the third one is out of nowhere).

I agree about the third one, but the exact wording of the description is

"a love triangle begins to build"

so maybe it won't be.

Here's the link:

http://www.spoilersguide.com/code-black/episode-12-the-fog-of-war-guide-2/

(BTW, just in case, the description for episode 13 is also available).

Edited by Happy Harpy

You know, after weeks on 'hiatus', it's sometimes impossible to reconnect with people on the show, or muster up any concern for their problems, or interest in their goings-on.  In fact, these annoying breaks make it easy for me to identify the dross in my TV-watching schedule and gratefully cut away the crap.

• Love 5

Can I love this show more? I don't think so. I don't even know where to start because everything or almost was perfect or almost.

Starting with the "almost" before the gushing.

Cole is gone? Even though Leanne was kind of an ass at that moment, I felt for her. That was cold. She finally opensup  to someone and he leaves without a word. I guess that it was a contract thing, too bad they didn't keep/couldn't keep Cress Williams around. He had chemistry with the other actors, imo.

The love triangle. I hate love triangles on the principle. I have to admit was a tad less out of the blue than I feared, since at least Angus mentioned that he got interested in her during the intervention  and on a different level, it paralleled my experience as a viewer because that episode made me like Heather. The thing I regret, nevertheless, is that Angus misunderstanding Heather's friendly attitude for more is a George O'Malley kind of cliché and I thought he was more savvy -and the writing above such tricks when it comes to characterization. I can't believe that I don't root for Angus, but sorry, guy, it's clear who Heather wants (very, very clear).

I love all those characters because they're good people trying to do good, yet I must say that I'm glad they're giving Malaya some good is not nice sides, since it makes her more interesting, and how they accentuate Leanne's stubborness and snippy sides. I couldn't fully root for any of the two at first because giving Leanne the stink eye in front of Dr.Guthrie wasn't cool and Malaya should have said something first to Leanne alone, imo. OTOH Leanne did let her down and I'm glad that Malaya didn't say it wasn't a big deal during their talk. Leanne had her blinders on and I wanted to kick some good sense into her at times, but it's the kind of flaw that makes her human and relatable, because when you know you screwed up, sometimes you hold on to being right like she did. I loved their talk at the end, and I'm happy that Leanne apologized to Malaya.

Also, Malaya had more interaction with other characters and I liked it. I felt she didn't have quite a place lately, and even though she's still isolated from the other residents she had her own storyline and significant moments. I hope it will last now that Carla is gone and that storyline over.

Another good point in this episode, the many interactions between many characters. Ex-teacher/ex-student or big sis/little bro Neal and Leanne were back, presenting a united front even when they disagree. I just hope that Jesse and Dr.Guthrie won't mainly play Dear Abby all the time, but I know that the spotlight can't go to everyone at once.

When Neal walks all over you and doesn't even look the least apologetic, you know you're a major pushover. I still have the same writing issues with Gina (not with the actress, whom I like and I think does well) but when it's played for comic relief, I'm OK with it. I was laughing out loud when Neal said it wasn't because it was crazy that they wouldn't do it.

If you heard a loud thud at one point, it was me falling dead on the floor watching Neal and Christa's flirtation, when he had his "is she serious? I hope she's serious" face and looked like he wanted very much to take her up on her "offer". Those two are going to be the death of me. I was disappointed at first because there was no face to face meeting after he found her, but the after shift scene + the intense stares of love + Neal cheering Christa up and being 100% smitten with her made up for it. It's so refreshing to see some attraction between two characters grow because the more they know each other, the more they like, trust, and admire each other. But kiss already!

To be honest, the writers did lay it up a bit thick with Christa being a good doctor and the family being brave, but 1) it reflected what I saw onscreen 2) the family was quite endearing, loved the bro/sis interaction at the end 3) the writing had Christa downplay it 90% of the time, and B.Sommerville's acting gives something unassuming to the character, imo. So I noticed it, but it didn't prevent me from enjoying the scenes.

Yeah, and I'm 100% aboard the second ship. I didn't think I'd ever find Mario kind of dreamy, but his interaction with Heather before their first kiss was just adorable. I was also surprised by the chemistry between the actors, wow. That's how you do heat on TV. I like that Heather knows what she wants, she is no shrinking violet and she doesn't see Mario as a kind of Prince Charming...maybe she sees him too severely, btw.  I'm not sure how long it's going to last because I don't think they get each other like Neal and Christa do, plus Mario has a ton of baggage. But I kind of hope so, because I think they have the potential to be great and I like them together.

I liked Mario very much in this episode. Of course, it was stupid not to tell the truth to Angus. He would have looked like an idiot, but not as much as he's going to look when he finds out. I know that the plan was trying to be a bro and don't go further  with Heather so that Angus would have a chance, but it's going to backfire big time, now. Otherwise, I thought he behaved quite decently and was showed as caring for his patients. I did like that when Dr.Guthrie got his big voice (nice trick, promo people!) he realized that he had stepped over a line and backed down. He did change, and he did learn, compared with how he was in the beginning.

Finally, I'm glad that they didn't show Carla dying onscreen. It was more powerful and less gratuitous the way they did it. But unless I missed something no one said who is going to take care of her child. Is it implied that Malaya will? I'd like to know.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 4

I'm sorry, but Leanne was a total bitch, and whatever happened to that patient was her fault and her fault alone.  And she won't have to face any consequences for her actions because she almost never loses a patient because she's that much of a badass.

Also, Neal, it most likely says MBBS after your name, not MD.

• Love 2

HappyHarpy, your enthusiasm makes me realize how little I'm invested in these characters--I don't even know their names, except for Leanne and "Mama."  I guess I'm in this for those two--and Chicago Med for Oliver Platt and S. Epatha--and all the rest are just a pleasant jumble of pretty.

I like the medical stories, though.  (Take a note, Grey's Telenovela.)   

I thought it was good to give Leanne a punch in her hubris.  I remember, weeks ago, being appalled that she would make promises to a kid to deliver his mother, when she was neck-deep in a situation so dire it included the black-tagging element. 

Randomly:

--It's soon going to be laughable how rarely these hospitals have an OR available.

--Maybe try to disguise the obvious meaning of the black tags with a different color choice?  Why am I over here with an aquamarine toe tag?

--No one even gave a passing thought that Cole might be in his own hostage situation or deep ravine.  Ouch, dude, that's a serious vote of no confidence.

When the family was brought in to the paraplegic mom, I was watching the young girl with her serious expressions.  Based on her onsite performance, I half expected her to say something like "Couldn't you fuse the lumbar vertebrae with a cross-synergystic micro-mold (or some such medical mumbo)",  and have Christa look at her in slack-jawed amazement before running off to get Leanne.

Note to producers:  If you are going to use the so-called Parker Tracheotomy scene, be sure and use a pen that doesn't have the cap still on the top.  That kind of defeats the entire purpose of a hollow core tube to insert into the patient's trachea. 

• Love 3

Questions:

Did they explain why Carla had a vaginal birth instead of a c- section?  I know the pushing helps to kickstart the baby's lungs but she was so weak and the baby so tiny, why didn't they switch to a C-section after the start?

If Cole always cuts and runs a short time into a thing, how did he finish medical school?  How did he even get in?

When the little girl was encouraging her mother to stand up now, I wanted Christa to tell her "I know you're scared and you want your mother to be okay right now but it's better for her if it takes a longer time to let her get stronger."  Instead she didn't say anything.

Note to producers:  If you are going to use the so-called Parker Tracheotomy scene, be sure and use a pen that doesn't have the cap still on the top.  That kind of defeats the entire purpose of a hollow core tube to insert into the patient's trachea. 

This.  Sloppy.

Re the cognitive screening test Mario gave the man:  If he really had temporal lobe damage, he would not have been able to spell "world" backwards but he would have remember that he was married.  Temporal lobe damage affects the ability to visualize stimuli (to spell a word backwards you need to visualize it) and to form new longterm memories.  Five minutes linking to wikipedia would have let the writers check it out.

This show is pure soap opera.  With a c-section, Carla might have lived for a little longer to bond with her baby.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2

This show gives me the feels, even though the medical consultants on this show are terrible. I was surprised that they actually showed a premie who was intubated, instead of the usual full term looking baby. I thought it was nice that Carla's death was offscreen, but what a heartbreaking situation. I forgot if they ever mentioned the father of the baby, or her family.

I think I am now watching for the crazy medical drama, but mostly for the cute Christa/Neal and Mario/Heather scenes. I was half expecting Angus to burst in on those two making out. This is not going to end well. I do like the slow burn of Christa and Neal, but I'm getting impatient.

I wonder if Cole will come back and apologize to Leanne for leaving, and she kicks him to the curb. Guess I have to watch Hart of Dixie to get my Cress fix.

Malaya screaming about the baby was ridiculous- you're a medical professional and know yelling and panicking distracts the staff from doing their jobs. Same with the ridiculous sister who was blaming everyone when she didn't know what was going on. "This is all your fault!" Burn.

• Love 2

I thought it was good to give Leanne a punch in her hubris.  I remember, weeks ago, being appalled that she would make promises to a kid to deliver his mother, when she was neck-deep in a situation so dire it included the black-tagging element. 

A punch in her hubris would have involved a patient actually dying.  The tally for Leanne was saving both the black-tagged woman and the chest tube patient.

Questions:

Did they explain why Carla had a vaginal birth instead of a c- section?  I know the pushing helps to kickstart the baby's lungs but she was so weak and the baby so tiny, why didn't they switch to a C-section after the start?

Because that would have robbed of the chance to see Malaya--who is not on the OB service and is not an attending--to start barking orders at the L&D staff.

HappyHarpy, your enthusiasm makes me realize how little I'm invested in these characters--I don't even know their names, except for Leanne and "Mama."  I guess I'm in this for those two--and Chicago Med for Oliver Platt and S. Epatha--and all the rest are just a pleasant jumble of pretty.

I'm sorry to be "that" fan!

But I don't love to hate. I don't hate watch, except a pilot of a sample episode that I happen to dislike. And for all its flaws that I honestly couldn't care less about, Code Black is kind of the TV Graal for me because I enjoy it from A to Z,  with characters written as adults instead of overgrown teenagers and  without any Laurel or Juliette or Jay or Adam to ruin it for me. I know it won't last long so I enjoy it, unadulterately, while I can.  And I cross my fingers so that nothing ruins the characters and relationships I care about.

And she won't have to face any consequences for her actions because she almost never loses a patient because she's that much of a badass.

I think that if the show had been certain to get a second season, it would have been Mark Greene's "Love Labor's lost" and would have had more lasting consequences.

• Love 5

Well, I didn't care for this one that much, mostly because Leanne saving the day again, in spite of ignoring orders.  I like her, I really do (I like most of the characters in the show), but it's getting to be a bit much. 

Same with the ridiculous sister who was blaming everyone when she didn't know what was going on. "This is all your fault!" Burn.

Patients yelling at doctors have always annoyed me, but in all honesty, I don't know what I'd do if I were in any situation like that.  I hope I could back off and let the doctors work.  However, given that the sister walked in on one doctor saying "the chest tube punctured the liver"  and seeing that the situation was dangerous because of it, I probably would have had a hard time holding back, too.  Seems pretty obvious that someone screwed up.  I'm going to the her a pass.

Oh God, here we go again:  a love triangle and sex in the work place.  Seriously?  I just can't.....I hope it's over quickly.  On a shallow note, though, Mario with no shirt on?   Damn. 

With the exception of the yelling, I liked how Malaya and Carla's story played out.  So sad, but I'm glad she got to hold the baby.  I'd have been in tears if they'd had her die before that happened. 

I'm still all for Christa and Neal.  I loved that split second after she said she was going home and asked if he wanted to come. 

I'm still in it for however long it's on the air.  I heard that they ordered a few new episodes, but it's still in a precarious position. 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 4
Well, I didn't care for this one that much, mostly because Leanne saving the day again, in spite of ignoring orders.  I like her, I really do (I like most of the characters in the show), but it's getting to be a bit much.

Agreed!  I like Leanne too, but I think a serving of humble pie might have been in order.  Her decision goes sideways for a time, but to quote Neal "All's well that ends well," so I'm convinced that this had no huge impact on her.  I know she admits to Malaya that she had let her down, but it still seemed like she was justifying herself and felt she was above criticism.  In any case, I am glad the show gave us some conflict between the characters about this, because if they had simply painted Leanne as incredibly brave and heroic she would have fast fallen into unlikable territory for me.  

Edited by Fable
  • Love 3

Just when I thought that Code Black was better than Chicago Med...

I did not care about soap opera drama. I wanted to watch medicine and action. Then there it was. Sex on the workplace. Really? At least on Chicago Med Dr. Rhodes banged his attending at home. And of course, the investigation against Dr. Rorish stopped before it really took effect. Did matter that she disobeyed a direct order. 

I guess now I need to reconsider my priority. 12 episodes in, now it is back on trial period.

• Love 2

Yeah, the sex thing is pretty ridiculous. And in such a public place! I overlooked it because I was too busy staring at shirtless Mario. Now it's Neal's turn (I'm really watching for the medical drama....really).

I would have rather seen the mother who Leanne saved die, so she would realize that Malaya rightfully put a black tag on her. Too bad the writers didn't go this route. I do like seeing her get thrown off her high horse once in a while, like her intubating that patient blindly a few episodes back and having the tube on the wrong side of the lung.

• Love 2

I would have rather seen the mother who Leanne saved die, so she would realize that Malaya rightfully put a black tag on her. Too bad the writers didn't go this route. I do like seeing her get thrown off her high horse once in a while, like her intubating that patient blindly a few episodes back and having the tube on the wrong side of the lung.

I would have liked to see them both die - the mother because she was black-tagged and therefore not likely to be "saveable" and then the other woman because of the time spent (wasted) in futile efforts to save the mother.

I also would have liked if the other woman ended up also being a mother of young kids, and Leanne just didn't know that when she made the decision to put her efforts into Connie.

Edited by secnarf
  • Love 6

You can't be color blind and get a driver's license (at least in my state), but you can be color blind and
get an MD.  I think white tags with a number on them would be a better system than color coding.

You wouldn't want a doctor who needs a second opinion about what color tag to put on you.

• Love 1

The sex and flirting after such a traumatizing event is almost as ridiclous as the fact that Heather and Mario keep treating exactly the man who put them through their ordeal. I realize they didn't tell anybody to the whole extent but Angus knew at least some of it, didn't he? I mean. No. No.

Also neither a fan of the triangle, nor of Heather. She just came out of nowhere and that reinforces my notion that she is just there to sex it up. A triangle-storyline always smells of desperation, especially when you just barge into it like that. It's not like there was a lot of chemistry between either. Just some eye-sexing between Heather and Mario and that's due to editing. *That's* why I enjoy Christa and Neal so much. They are believeable because I as a viewer can grow with them.

But if we have to endure this, I would applaud this show if they did not pair up the two glossy models of the show with each other. If she ends up with Magnus, this show has redeemed itself. I just want to get to know Heather as a person before I can start rooting for her to be with anybody.

• Love 2

Yeah, the sex thing is pretty ridiculous. And in such a public place! I overlooked it because I was too busy staring at shirtless Mario. Now it's Neal's turn (I'm really watching for the medical drama....really).

I know how you feel, the medical drama is my one and only reason to watch this show, just like you ;)

I would have rolled my eyes if it had been any other two characters. I can't imagine Christa and Neal in their place. But somehow, beyond the shirtlessness, it didn't bother me too much because it was those two. Mario doesn't seem to be the type who would care, and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Heather is a thrill addict or something.

I also would have liked if the other woman ended up also being a mother of young kids, and Leanne just didn't know that when she made the decision to put her efforts into Connie.

I would have liked it better than the two women dying. It would have been less depressing and having to face a children she wronged, I think, would have had more of an effect on Leanne.

The sex and flirting after such a traumatizing event is almost as ridiclous as the fact that Heather and Mario keep treating exactly the man who put them through their ordeal. I realize they didn't tell anybody to the whole extent but Angus knew at least some of it, didn't he? I mean. No. No.

Also neither a fan of the triangle, nor of Heather. She just came out of nowhere and that reinforces my notion that she is just there to sex it up. A triangle-storyline always smells of desperation, especially when you just barge into it like that. It's not like there was a lot of chemistry between either. Just some eye-sexing between Heather and Mario and that's due to editing. *That's* why I enjoy Christa and Neal so much. They are believeable because I as a viewer can grow with them.

But if we have to endure this, I would applaud this show if they did not pair up the two glossy models of the show with each other. If she ends up with Magnus, this show has redeemed itself. I just want to get to know Heather as a person before I can start rooting for her to be with anybody.

As a Christa/Neal shipper, I might end up being thankful for the triangle...because I don't think the writers will do two triangles at the same time unless the show is going full Grey's Anatomy and it isn't supposed to be the point. Imo, there's always a messy relationship on a show, the one that concentrates all the drama and clichés and angst. If Mario/Heather/Angus is that relationship, and allows Christa/Neal to be safe from ruination, be it!

I like that there's a slow burn (Neil and Christa...but I'll welcome any acceleration anytime!) and a more fast-tracked romance, it also fits with the respective ages of the characters.

I knew from the promo that there would be a kiss at least (and shirtless kiss? I wasn't surprised by what followed). Mario and Heather being held at gunpoint together justified enough their boarding the closeness express, so I didn't  have a problem with it, but I liked how the writing/directing represented it by insisting on their physical proximity during their whole ordeal. What I didn't expect was the kind of sweet scene, it's the one that made me board the ship. They shared an experience, they relied on each other, teased each other, comforted each other, even just a little so their getting together makes sense to me.

Heather had me at the missing "K" and "run Forrest run", so maybe this explains my interest. I said she was no shrinking violet, but the way she wasn't fazed by Mario's attitude made me think that she could end up being the more cutthroat of the lot, or the less sensitive at least. They made her use the same word as Christa, "I'm/I was a mess", so I guess she also wants to do well and hold it together, which is a positive in my book. So for me, she is beginning to be fleshed out. Of course, I don't love her like I do the main characters, but if written correctly, the triangle should allow the viewer to discover who she truly is.

I'm just the opposite about the end of the triangle. Beauty and the geek is  imo a TV cliché and in real life, very often, it's the glossy models who end-up together. Mario could act like a jerk and break Heather's heart, and she could let Angus comfort her and fall for him. For me, that would be cliché. Now, if she revealed someone that Mario can't handle (not necessarily by breaking his heart, but by not buying his act/shit) I would find it more interesting.

I can't root for Angus/Heather for now -maybe I will later- because she showed no attraction to him, and because the reasons he gave for his attraction are quite shallow. Honestly, he sounded a bit desperate (a girl talked to me, she likes me!). The writers had avoided this situation with Angus so far, so the writing for him is honestly what worries me the most about the triangle.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 1

Happy Harpy, you have my deepest respect for defending the triangle in such a passionate way that you do and I am glad that you don't have such a hard time with it as I do :).

Mario could act like a jerk and break Heather's heart, and she could let Angus comfort her and fall for him. For me, that would be cliché.

Maybe I have not watched enough TV (answer is no) but I've rarely seen beauty/geek paired up. That being said, I'm certainly not above things and if that counts as a cliche, this is another reason why this triangle will never work: No matter how this will be resolved, it will be lame. Because triangles are just that: an over-used device to create sexual tension. To be fair, we are both giving rough outlines. It's not just those two outcomes that are possible. And it's not about the what but about the how. Because to some Christa / Neal ist just as much cliche, and I say that in the fondest way possible. It's just that they tell it in such a beautiful way that I don't mind and both characters are relatable. Now Heather? No personality detected. Except for having Bambi-eyelashes that put Malaya's to shame. She comes in, cracks a few lame jokes and is competetive. Great. She's like a cukoo's egg the writers placed among the CB cast we're not supposed to notice. Of course you cannot ask for much more when she's only had a couple of one-liners so far.

What I am asking for though is that the main characters are coupled with good supporting characters. Cole had personality. He had a background. I would enjoy this a lot more if we had gotten introduced to Heather as a stand-alone character first and not just the babe from surgery. That's lazy, sloppy wrting in my book. It just doesn't convince me and it annoys me. I stopped watching Grey's because of all the endless Dawson Creek-eque drama. I thought Code Black was a safe haven for me.

I'd still enjoy it more if she was paired with Magnus because to me that would be refreshing. Not necessarily the way you just came up with though, nothing personal ;). There are better ways to tell this and the writers have shown that they are capable of way less clumsy writing. Cliche is not a crime but lazy writing is.

They could pair up Mario with Andrea from 90210 and I'd be happier with that because it'd be less predictable. Now we have a couple that is visually stunning and has lots of sex but lacks depth and personality.

It's also such a disservice to Mario, I know he's not a fan favorite and noone expected better from him but I would've preferred if the writers had taken the chance to develop him further and make him stick to his "it doesn't feel right" and being loyal to Magnus.

• Love 2

Ely, I hate triangles as much as you do (I never watched TVD, Tomorrow People and avoided The Walking Dead for the first seasons because the central relationships were a love triangle). I'm grasping at straws. But in this episode, it was better than what I imagined it would be, so I'm hoping this time will be different. 

Nothing personal here either :) It's just differences and exchanges of POV, and if we all had the same opinions, the world would be boring.

Maybe I have not watched enough TV (answer is no) but I've rarely seen beauty/geek paired up. That being said, I'm certainly not above things and if that counts as a cliche, this is another reason why this triangle will never work: No matter how this will be resolved, it will be lame. Because triangles are just that: an over-used device to create sexual tension. To be fair, we are both giving rough outlines. It's not just those two outcomes that are possible. And it's not about the what but about the how. Because to some Christa / Neal ist just as much cliche, and I say that in the fondest way possible. It's just that they tell it in such a beautiful way that I don't mind and both characters are relatable.

I feel like they're doing Beauty and the Geek all the time. Two examples at the top of my head. Callie and Izzie, two hot women, were fighting about George O'Malley on Grey's Anatomy (and I love TR Knight but the character, ugh) and on CSI:NY they had the smart, kickass, mature Stella sleep with Adam, the young awkward tech geek who was bragging about it like a fratboy afterwards. The Big Bang theory, from what I gather, is even a kind of meta on the trope.

You're absolutely right that there aren't only two outcomes possible. I hope the writers will surprise me and make it better than I thought.

As for Mario, I see what you mean about sticking to his attempt. I would think the same if nothing had happened between Mario and Heather before Angus confided in him.  I'm glad that Mario tried to "end things" with Heather in order to spare Angus' feelings or allow him to have a chance. But I find the idea of the guys sort of deciding between them who the woman should be with quite sexist; so I prefer that once Heather actively pursued him by going to find him in the locker room, Mario didn't try to decide for her against what she clearly wanted. 

Heather might learn to see Angus differently, but she seemed so far away from seeing him as a potential partner imo...I don't believe that Mario rejecting her would have made her accept a date with Angus. She's quite blunt and I don't think she'd be delicate about her refusal. I can imagine a long awkward WTF silence to start with.

I hope that if...well, when Angus resents Mario, it will be because Mario didn't tell him the truth and made him look like an idiot, not because he "stole" Heather or anything in the style since no, you can't steal a human being who has her own free will.

We agree on Cole. I thought he worked well with Neal, especially, and I think I'm going to haaate his replacement (if you saw the promo for episode 13).

Oh, beyond what makes them kind of unique (mature relationship) there are many tropes used for Neal/Christa. I see those tropes, and I still eat every shippy moment up with a spoon. Indeed, a lot depends on whether you like or not the characters.

It also comes down to a million of little things, imo. Take the scene where Neal tells Christa she's beautiful (that's where I went *thud*). I love how B.Sommerville made Christa ask the question without any trace of coyness, not sounding for a second imo like she was fishing for a compliment, and how R.Jaffrey had Neal answer truthfully,  softly, but not too dreamily either. It could have been a disaster, and yet it was a Hell Yeah Kiss for God's Sake! moment for me.

Same, when Christa made her blunder, I loved how she didn't try to justify it and just stated it wasn't what she meant, I also like that it didn't make them awkward or flustered like teenagers afterwards. So yes, the double entendre is a trope, but the way it was done avoided to make it a cliché, at least in my eyes. It made it believable for characters in their late thirties. 

Edited by Happy Harpy

You can't be color blind and get a driver's license (at least in my state), but you can be color blind and

get an MD.  I think white tags with a number on them would be a better system than color coding.

You wouldn't want a doctor who needs a second opinion about what color tag to put on you.

Really? I do not know how is it here in North America, but in my country of origin all new students at the Faculty of Medicine in all universities are given color blindness test. Passing such test completely is the condition of enrollment.

I'm sorry, but Leanne was a total bitch, and whatever happened to that patient was her fault and her fault alone. And she won't have to face any consequences for her actions because she almost never loses a patient because she's that much of a badass.

She was a bitch, but she did realize it in the end with the help of Neal, and she did apologize to Malaya, which does show growth.

and I think there is a chance you will see the consequences for her actions in the next 2 episodes.

• Love 1

She was a bitch, but she did realize it in the end with the help of Neal, and she did apologize to Malaya, which does show growth.

and I think there is a chance you will see the consequences for her actions in the next 2 episodes.

At this point, the only consequences she could suffer would be professional ones. I mean, that's fine, and there's a reason why there are procedures in place to sanction doctors who go off the reservation, but from the beginning it's been clear she doesn't really care about hospital politics. Frankly, it would have been dramatically more interesting if one (or both) of the patients not to have made it. Because at this point, if she's given some kind of punishment, Administrator Lady comes off like a big meanie who's awful to that awesome, hard-as-nails doctor who can save anyone.

• Love 4

I loved Christa's Freudian slip. LOL, there was no other way to interpret her statement other than what it was, yet she just brushes past it like "that's not what I meant." What else could she have possibly meant? It was probably my favorite moment of the episode, if not the series, and I am by no means a shipper. If anything, I am an antishipper, but there is no denying there is some sizzle between these two.

• Love 3

"I think white tags with a number on them..."

(My screen is not cooperative-no quote button)

I'm sure there are different styles of tags, depending on the manufacturer. The ones my fire department used were single tags with four classes (Priority 1-3 and dead) on strips that could be torn off. They were each colored red/yellow/green/black and arranged such that low priority was on the outside, so that priority could be upgraded as necessary. Black was all the way at the top, as once you're there, there ain't no coming back. Unless Leanne is on scene.

• Love 1

At this point, the only consequences she could suffer would be professional ones. I mean, that's fine, and there's a reason why there are procedures in place to sanction doctors who go off the reservation, but from the beginning it's been clear she doesn't really care about hospital politics. Frankly, it would have been dramatically more interesting if one (or both) of the patients not to have made it. Because at this point, if she's given some kind of punishment, Administrator Lady comes off like a big meanie who's awful to that awesome, hard-as-nails doctor who can save anyone.

If both woman would have died it would have been too obvious that she would realize that she made the mistake.I think it shows more character growth when Leanne realizes she made a mistake and apologizes for it even though she saved the 2 people in the end.

I think the drama will come if not only her but Neal gets sanctioned as well for her mistakes. I think you will see a lot of drama if she gets sanctioned since they already made it clear she does not want to take any vacation time.  

and the administrator Lady will always come  off like a big meanie, its her job ;) 

• Love 2

Because at this point, if she's given some kind of punishment, Administrator Lady comes off like a big meanie who's awful to that awesome, hard-as-nails doctor who can save anyone.

I can't be suspected of being enamored of Gina, but even I thought that Leanne was unmanageable and uncooperative. The fact that everybody lives at the end might have validated Leanne in universe, but as a viewer who likes her I don't think it exonerates her. Imo, the writing was clear that her decision was emotional, that it could have gone either way, and above everything, that when she made the decision Leanne didn't know and didn't care beyond her promise to the kid (that went against her own motto in the pilot).

For Neal/Christa fans, gifs from the official Twitter:

https://twitter.com/CodeBlackCBS/status/687527385328128000

https://twitter.com/CodeBlackCBS/status/687520714069569536

Edited by Happy Harpy

If both woman would have died it would have been too obvious that she would realize that she made the mistake.I think it shows more character growth when Leanne realizes she made a mistake and apologizes for it even though she saved the 2 people in the end.

But here's the thing--somebody mentioned "Love's Labor's Lost" where Mark Greene bit off more than he could chew and basically ended up killing a patient.  Beyond even the professional repercussions--and we did see later that he was sued for malpractice--they made it pretty clear that living with the knowledge that there was a baby growing up without a mother through his own actions was going to be much harder on him.  Leanne doesn't have to face that because nobody died.

That's just not as dramatically interesting to to me, and IMHO, is a waste of an opportunity for character growth.

I can't be suspected of being enamored of Gina, but even I thought that Leanne was unmanageable and uncooperative. The fact that everybody lives at the end might have validated Leanne in universe, but as a viewer who likes her I don't think it exonerates her. Imo, the writing was clear that her decision was emotional, that it could have gone either way, and above everything, that when she made the decision Leanne didn't know and didn't care beyond her promise to the kid (that went against her own motto in the pilot).

I like Leanne fine (and it's mostly because I like MGH so much), but she is desperately in need of being knocked down a peg or two.  I understand that her demons drive her to do the things that she does, but the show has really not presented her with an opportunity to face them, and indeed had a great opportunity here and just completely squandered it, because I guess she'd be less awesome if she was a fallible human being.

• Love 2

Questions:

This show is pure soap opera.  With a c-section, Carla might have lived for a little longer to bond with her baby.

Actually, that was one thing I thought they got right. It may be hard to believe, but a c-section is physically much harder on the body than natural labor, or even induced labor. When my first was born, I had life threatening complications (preeclampsia and HELLP syndrome). When my doctor explained what was happening to me and why we needed to immediately induce prematurely, I asked if I should have a c-section instead and he said no, it would kill me. With Carla being as weak as she was, she probably would have died during surgery and not had the chance to hold her son.

• Love 2