Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: Lazarus

• Start Topic

(edited)

Well, any smidgen of good will I had left for the show has been completely obliterated with the return of Jimmy. Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse. And the producers even said he was dead! What the fuck?

So, as I said elsewhere, I'm pretty sure I am finished with this show now. It's gone off the rails too much, and Jimmy's return is proof that this is more Showtime bullshit. This is a wannabe prestige drama that takes no chances where no one suffers any permanent consequences, and I am just done. There are no consistent characterizations, unless you count in the fact that Liam has been a baby for four seasons now. So yeah, done with this shit. Have fun losing any awards you have a snowball's chance in hell of being nominated for.

Edited by Mindy McIndy

No surprise that Frank started drinking again.

I am so freaking happy that so many where wrong. Speculating that Ian would commit suicide tonight.

I don't think I would have been able to handle that.

• Love 1

Ian's storyline better get some proper focus next season. I can't believe they sidelined him for more Wacky Sheila bullshit.

I wanted to reach through the screen and smack Fiona and Lip when they skipped right over Ian's very serious illness to joke around about Amanda.

• Love 1

I could have lived without Jimmy, but was that Priya driving him?

I was glad Lip had grown up enough not to throw a tantrum at Amanda's ceremony. Tara's right -- it was just some sorority bullshit -- but it was important to her, and i was glad he didn't make a big statement. 

Neat to see Debbie and Carl stepping up -- paralleling the relationship between Fiona and Lip. Amazing the maturity you can show when you have to. 

Great season, good episode, glad it will be back next year (and with Mad Men and GOT back, glad to have a bit of free space on Sunday nights, too). 

• Love 1

Whatever about Steve/Jimmy being back, NO to show saddling us with Dichen Lachman. She is the worst actress ever and I can't deal with her dull and bored ~acting.

Not even going to bother investing in Lip/Amanda as it's obvious they'll just make her cartoony evil next season to prop Mandy.

I can't believe I woke up an hour early to watch this before work... what a let down! I don't even know where to start... I guess the good: Carl and Debbie were once again amazing. And I guess the sibling love when Fi came back was really nice to see, particularly in a season where it was lacking most of the time. Ok now to the bad...

I wish they had shown a bit more of Ian and Mickey, I know the show has like a hundred actors who all need screentime, but I could have done with a lot less Sheila and Sammy. The court thing was really not important enough to spend a whole like 10 minutes on it, how about we just see Sheila sad and saying the kids were given to a grandpa. Look 10 minutes less time wasted on characters we have no love lost in, and 10 minutes more to devote to the actual protagonists!

I am glad they released Fiona because it was giving me these bad "we watched Orange is the new Black and thought it was awesome and want to be just as cool" vibes and I really disliked that, also seeing people in jail, unless they are Alex Vause is really not something I am into. And outside she can try to start to redeem herself, while in there... not so much.

Mandy should go and DIAF. Honestly she is so unnecessary, her scene in the diner brought nothing to the show, other than to show Lip being between two girls (once again, didn't we have the same exact thing with Mandy and Karen? He is always with the girl he likes less and pines over the one he likes more, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz). How about one character, just one of them, get into a healthy happy relationship with someone who is good for them, even if it is just for a while (I guess the cupdude was that for Fi, but then they fucked that up good real quickly!).

Mickey was wonderfully flawless (within context) and him screaming and shouting that he would take care of Ian made me go "awww". Having lived from the age of 10 with a mentally ill sister, I really hope they portray this well next season though. I would hate if they make is a shambles like the liver transplant. Sometimes the psych ward is the only option, sometimes you have to make really hard choices, and with the stigma attached to mental health problems (we used to lie at school and say my sister was in hospital for treatment for a recurrent infection instead of saying she was in because of her mental health because we did not want her stigmatised)... well, I really hope they pull this off.

Frank drinking drove me up the wall today. Honestly I know it is "shameless" and whatnot (just like all the naked ladies in jail... why did they all sleep in the nude??) but we just watched 12 painful episodes of him dying by degrees. He can still be a drug addict, he can take sedatives, he could start shooting up... but if we revisit the liver issues again next season, I might not watch.

Finally Stimmy is now Jack? Stimmack? Jastimmy? I was on of the few who liked him, I didn;t miss him, but I did like him, particularly in season 1, so I do hold some hope that next season might be ok (for all your people who know everythig, when is it coming back?).

(edited)

Ian's storyline better get some proper focus next season. I can't believe they sidelined him for more Wacky Sheila bullshit.

I thought it actually got appropriate focus, as Mickey had quite a few scenes related to it, and the actor who plays Ian got as much as he could handle acting-wise by being mostly unconscious. Portraying Mickey's 'wife' as somehow jealous made no sense, except insofar as she needs his financial support. But they were never a 'couple'.

Hated seeing Stimmy Jack at the end. I hope he's a twin or something.

Glad Fiona's out of prison, I guess. I hated what they did to her character this season. Just because the writers/producers sometimes seemed to forget Liam's age and/or existence did not mean that Fiona would. She was too devoted to the family to endanger him or to jeopardize the decent job and all-important benefits the way they had her do. Would she possibly go off the rails when the kids hit majority age? Maybe. But at least at that point it would make sense. Also, I call B.S. on her getting released due to overcrowding. The justice system is adamant about one thing: and that's that you don't cross them. Probation violation is the only crime other than murder with no statute of limitations. They'd free a violent offender before they'd free Fiona.

I'll probably DVR next season to see how Stimmy Jack is explained, but the only other way they could hook me back in is if they gave Tony the cop a regular role and storyline.

Edited by NorthstarATL

Overall I liked the episode, guess I'm not hard to impress. Although I was a bit surprised that Fiona had already served 10-20% of her 90 day sentence (based on other story lines it seemed like 3-4 days to be) I should know better than to try to apply the laws of time on this show, at least we got confirmation on Fiona's age! 

Could have done without the Sammie/Shelia story line in its entirety, I like both characters in VERY small doses and that 10 minutes could have been more served developing story lines of core characters--like Ian What we did see of his problems was excellent, but I hope he gets more screen time next year. While I've been really enjoying his evolving relationship with Mickey I've been waiting for someone to pick up on the likely bipolar diagnosis for weeks and I can't believe we have to wait until next season to see any movement on a issue half the audience caught onto his first appearance this season. 

Not sure how I feel about the Stimmy returned yet. By the time he got on that boat I was pretty sick of him, but that may have just been the story line he was saddled with that season. Maybe he'll have something better to do next year and I can actually get invested in him again like I was in season 1. 

Well to be fair (lol), the producers said that "Steve/Jimmy" was dead--- which leaves the door wide open for, "Jack"!! I, too, liked  the character until the stupid immigration-marriage/drug king pin storyline he was saddled with last Season, because he served as an anchor for Fiona.  Here's hoping for a better  next Season for all the Gallaghers. And as much as I admire Joan C-- pull-ease, less Shelia!  And while I'm at it, LOSE SAMMI!!  She and her son just aren't interesting, nor can I imagine them ever being integral --even as a 'family' for Shelia.

-+

I should know better than to try to apply the laws of time on this show, at least we got confirmation on Fiona's age!

Did I miss that? How old did they say she was? I'm also trying to figure out how much time has passed since the show began. Liam's lack of aging has made that next to impossible. Fiona did at one point last season say she had known Stimmy for "two years". But I still can't seem to figure it out. I'm pretty sure it was winter for this whole season despite V and her mama both carrying a pregnancy to term.

As for the episode, I haaated the ending with Frank. Were we supposed to be rooting for his triumph at the lake? This is a show where I very frequently root for people who have done very bad things--I am probably one of the few who still likes Mandy, despite her attempted murder of Karen, and I'm pretty sure Mickey has been party to a murder or two. But at this point I despise Frank so much that I was just incredibly grossed out that the show decided to save him.

I actually almost liked Frank's ending at the lake, I could have done without the booze but thought the speech itself was actually kinda moving. The story line was never my favorite of the season but WHM is an incredible actor so I'd watch him read the phone book if it came to that. If the writers had to draw out Frank's march towards death for an ENTIRE SEASON, I needed something to bookend his miraculous survival, hopefully so we won't have Liver Cancer Part II next season. I'm just crossing my fingers that they give Frank something new to do next season, but knowing his character it'll probably just be more destruction of his new liver while Shelia shrieks in the background trying to find more children to care for. 

This has definitely been the weakest season. 

WHM is certainly one of the strongest actors on the show so I can see why they want to keep him on, but it was such an easy out for him to suffer no real consequences. Sheila needs to be gone, and I have had enough of Sammi. I am glad they wrote off Carl's gf and her lost boys. Ian/we his real name is is such a weak actor so I think they gave him the best story they could for what he can do. And Jimmy/Steve being back really just solidifies to me that the writers of the show have no idea where to take these stories.

(edited)

I don't necessarily think that Lip is pining for Mandy, but he does care about her. Mandy's a sweet girl in a lot of ways, but she's also a pragmatist. In her mind, Lip is making his way into the world that someone with his intellect and gifts belongs in, and she's in the world that someone with her background and limitations doesn't leave. Lip is starting to see what the world has to offer him if he's willing to work for it, but Mandy is well aware of the pull his "old" life still has on him, and she didn't go through all the work of getting him out of it just so he can slip back in it. She's drawing a line.

There have been a lot of screwed up characters on this show, but Sammi certainly tops the list of most pathetic. As harsh as Sheila reminding her that Frank knew about her existence her entire life but didn't choose to bother with her until he needed something may have been, she needed to hear it.

Edited by AlliMo
  • Love 3

Once again WHM shows what a primo actor he is.  When Frank saw that his visitor at the hospital was Carl, he hardly changed his expression at all, and yet his whole face lit up.  His delight was obvious.  When he was asking for his family, he didn't mean Sammi and Chuckie, and he certainly didn't mean Sheila and the roomful of NA-tive A-MER-i-can CHIL-dren.  He meant his REAL family, the only ones who count for him - his children with Monica.  Sammi never meant anything to him beyond what she could do for him - originally as a possible liver donor, and then as a caregiver.  The sooner she realizes this about him, and clears out, the better... although she's so desperate for a father, it's possible the only thing that could make her leave is finding out he's not really her father.  I had thought that might be where the story is going, given her non-matching to him as a donor, and his confusion about her mother.  I even thought that the last show of this season might bring a face-to-face encounter between Sammi's mother and Frank, wherein it becomes obvious that they have never even met, let alone hooked up.  We may yet get that; time will tell.

Oh, Steve - I mean Jimmy - I mean Jack.  At the end of last season I was really glad to see him go; he was bringing Fiona more agitation than he was worth.  After the hellish time she had this season, I had begun to think it might be nice if he came back.  It's worth noting that the hell she went through all began when she started dating Mike on the rebound, after Jimmy vanished from her life.  Mike's brother, for all his scumminess - I couldn't help thinking that what made her susceptible to him was his similarity to Jimmy: daring, edgy, outlaw type; black sheep of a wealthy and conventional family.  I wouldn't mind seeing him come back - but NOT if he's once again involved with another woman, causing complications to his relationship with Fiona.  We've been there and done that, and I for one do not have any desire to see it repeated.

When Frank saw that his visitor at the hospital was Carl, he hardly changed his expression at all, and yet his whole face lit up.  His delight was obvious.  When he was asking for his family, he didn't mean Sammi and Chuckie, and he certainly didn't mean Sheila and the roomful of NA-tive A-MER-i-can CHIL-dren.  He meant his REAL family, the only ones who count for him - his children with Monica.

I liked that a lot, too, because you could tell when he was asking for them and then seeing that none of his true family were there, that he realized just how much he's destroyed his relationship with them.  And then he was so happy to see Carl when Carl finally appeared. Maybe he'll try to mend a few fences with his kids next year?  I never know with Frank--as much as he can occasionally have amazing episodes (when his mom died, last year's finale, the one with Sammi's re-created Alibi, this year's finale) he is usually responsible for many fast-forwarded scenes in my house.  Him and Jimmy.

And speaking of Jimmy, I loved this season so much except for the last 30 seconds.  I'm really not looking forward to "Jack" and whatever crime fiasco bullshit subplots he's going to bring to the show.  I never minded the character himself--and he was okay when he was just with Fiona and the Gallaghers or his 80s TV parents (I seriously loved that Julia Duffy and Harry Hamlin were his folks)--but we had TWO seasons of Estefania crap/drug cartel crap and it never worked.  And seeing him be all "mysterious" and cool in the back of a car with some other random beautiful woman basically confirmed my worst fears.

• Love 1

I agree with what others have said about Jimmy/Steve/Jack. If they are bringing him back with all the stupid drug cartel strings still attached, I want no part of it. That story was a drain on the show and kind of ruined his character, to the point where I was happy to see him go at the end of Season 3.

That said, I really liked his character and what he brought to Fiona/the Gallaghers in the beginning-some sense of stability and support. If they bring him back closer to that original conception, I'd be interested in that. Maybe they'll finally address how his abrupt departure affected Fiona, as it was the beginning of her spiral.

• Like 1

Great episode and really great season.

As pointless as I found the Frank storyline, William H Macy was really amazing in that final scene with Carl. I really hope that we're not heading for some child alcoholic storyline with Carl though. Also, was Bonnie playing him? I didn't get why she got so freaked over the present.

Debbie's expression as she entered the room and saw Ian wrapped up in the bed broke my heart. She knew immediately what was wrong with him. Her crying always takes me out of a scene though. Girl has a horrible cry face.

Regina King needs to always be in the show. Just cause. I liked her spiel to Fiona where she basically tells her to stop blaming her parents/whoever and own her actions. I'm glad Fiona finally got her shit together. I would be looking forward to the return of Stimmy only he's inflicting Dichen Lachman onto us who I cannot stand. Also, his smirk when she calls him Jack makes me think that he hasn't learned anything from last seasons disasters. I have always loved season one Fiona and Steve though so if there were even a glimmer that we could get it back to that...

So Ian's bipolar? Do you think we might get Monica back next season? I've always enjoyed Chloe Webb's performance and it could make for an interesting storyline.

Agreed about Noel Fisher being the MVP of the season.He's been great and has really sold me on every bit of Mickey's journey. Svetlana being a lesbian seems stupidly convenient but at least they're getting along.

Mandy still needs to go. I can agree that the diner scene was probably Emma Greenwell's strongest scene to date but it still wasn't anything amazing. She takes me out of every scene she's in and aside from serving as Lip's constant excuse when he's trying to avoid growing up/doing well in college she's a pointless character. I don't buy he loves her, I just see him reverting back to her when he's uncomfortable because he's not challenged by her and feels the big man in the relationship without having to do any work.

• Love 1

I like Mandy so I enjoyed her scenes.  So far I have liked her better then both of Lip's other love interests.  I think she is actually good for him and I really enjoyed her scenes this season.  

I was thinking back to Fiona's story arc and I know alot of people have been saying that her downward spiral came out of nowhere but it really didn't.  I watched the pilot episode and there was a scene with her and Ian and Ian asked her if she ever got tired of thinking for everyone and her response was basically that she liked to feel wanted.  Fiona has always had a deep seeded need to be needed and this season had all "her kids: grow up and move on.   That left Fiona in flux and someone like her was prone to self destruction.   It is just good to see that unlike Frank she is capable of learning from her mistakes and changing her behavior.

Best scene in the episode was the bar scene where the patrons rattled off the gay people they knew.  The look on Mickey's face was priceless.

2nd bess scene was Svetlana talking about choices.  McDonald's, Burger King, or Wendy's?  

If I have to pick a 3rd I'd have to pick the scene where Fiona tried to explain to Mickey what was wrong with Ian.  That was all kinds of sad.  

Edited by ChaosTheory
  • Love 1

I like Mandy, even though the actress isn't that good, and I also like Amanda. 

There are a lot of bi-polar people around.  They take medicine and function, but have to be around supportive people who are willing to deal with them.  I don't think Ian being bi-polar is that big of a deal.   I would like to see Ian in a scene with his bio-dad.

My guess would be that the lakefront scene was done for visual effect.  Lake Michigan was more frozen this year than in decades or maybe centuries.  They probably went out there without intending to do much but look good.  I thought it looked great, but it would have been better if Frank had died there. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

it would have been better if Frank had died there. 

This is true for almost any scene for me!

Yes, a lot of people live with bipolar and function, but a lot of people also live with bipolar and cause their families and friends immense amounts of grief and end up in debt and/or committing suicide. I had a twice removed type family member who committed suicide a couple of years ago after spending every penny he had (and didn't have) and I know his wife is active in a "partners of bipolar" type web group and there are lots of them who suffer a lot and it's not just "take some lithium and you are fine" kinda thing. Stephen Fry's documentary about it is quite interesting if someone fancied a little more info. I personally am a sucker for angst (particularly sickness angst) anyway so I want to see Mickey fussing over Ian for a little while (and then the payback once Ian is well again). I even loved how genuinely worried he looked when he asked the blanket covered Ian if he was sick.

• Love 3

I have to say, this was a solid season overall.  Probably one of my favorites since the show started.

So much to cover!  Here goes:

It was kind of interesting how even though Ian had been acting strange all season long, no one really stopped to pay attention because of all of the other drama going on.  I think Fiona and Lip had always counted on Ian to be "okay".  He had a part time job, wanted to join the military, etc.  Compared to the rest of them -- Ian was the most level-headed.  And now this.

Loved that the folks at the Alibi made Mickey feel less defensive and accepted.  It's exactly what he needed.  He was able to finally face his shitty father and everyone and admit who he is.  I would say Mickey had a Lazarus moment.

On another note:  He (Mickey) finally admits he is gay and that he loves Ian.  Now the cat is out of the bag that Ian is dealing with Bi-polar disorder.  Their future at this point is pretty uncertain.  Ugh.  This storyline has me in knots.  Ian is one of my favorite characters.

Despite Fiona's tumble into darkness, it looks like she is picking up the pieces.  Cup-guy wasn't for her.  Although I do think corporate America is.  I am rooting for Fiona to get a second chance at success.

I LOVE Jeffrey Dean Morgan!  It's so good to see him here!  I am hoping for a little May-December romance next season.

So ... Debbie and Matthew -- together or not?  Is it wrong of me to think that Matthew is very sweet for taking Debbie to the dance?  I kind of want those crazy kids to end up together.  Uh... when she is much older of course.  Also, Debbie's attraction to an older guy is not a shocker.  Quite frankly, i'm surprised Fiona doesn't have a thing for older men.  Daddy issues?

Poor Carl.  First girlfriend splits on him.  :(

It is interesting to see that Lip is dating a sorority girl, wearing an Armani suit and doing well in college.  I want Lip to rise to the occasion here.  I want him to succeed!  Though he doesn't feel like he fits in to this world yet.  Also, a little guilt I think at seeing Mandy and being with Amanda.

Alright -- now the elephant in the room.  Steve/Jimmy/Jack.  

Here's my guess:  Jimmy is dead and died on the boat as the producers and writers have said.  However, Jack is Jimmy's twin brother.  He drove by Fiona's house (with current girlfriend) to check it out and will visit Fiona to tell her that Jimmy died and that his body washed up somewhere.  I can't see the writers giving Jimmy a 3rd identity.  Unless they come up with a hell of a plausible story of how he got away from mobster father-in-law and henchman on that boat.

Edited by MissScarlett

Here's my guess:  Jimmy is dead and died on the boat as the producers and writers have said.  However, Jack is Jimmy's twin brother.  He drove by Fiona's house (with current girlfriend) to check it out and will visit Fiona to tell her that Jimmy died and that his body washed up somewhere.  I can't see the writers giving Jimmy a 3rd identity.  Unless they come up with a hell of a plausible story of how he got away from mobster father-in-law and henchman on that boat.

That's an idea I could actually get behind. I really did like Stimmy's early story lines but adding a third identity, especially when his last attempt at a fake identity went so horribly wrong, just seems like overkill. I wouldn't put it past Shameless to pull an "evil" twin card, as ridiculous as it sounds, and it actually opens up to a lot of interesting story ideas where as a third identity feels like it'll just be a retread. I'll pretty much follow this show off a cliff at this point, but I'm hoping it'll lead someplace good. 

It looks like Dermot Mulroney is joining Shameless for Season 5, I assume he's taking over the role that Jeffrey Dean Morgan had on the last episode as Fiona's new boss. Even though he's 50, he still looks really good and is a longtime favorite actor. I'm excited for the new season to begin even though it's 6 months away.