Type keyword(s) to search

S27.E11: It's Not Easy Beating Green

• Start Topic

Totally!  I could almost see Chris and Logan in their own reality show.  Not that I'd watch it, mind you.

Can you imagine?  Justin's head would explode!!

Justin's sense of bitter entitlement would be the best part.

I would watch a show where people just pop out of nowhere and punch Justin in his smug face.  Like Justin is walking to the corner bakery smirking and "mi amigo" ing to everyone on the block and suddenly someone just comes up and punches him.  Justin is going to work, smirking and as he walks into the building...someone punches him in the face.  He never quite knows when its coming.....

• Love 2

"Rewatched" the episode (used quotes because I was doing other things at the same time, but my daughter watched and I heard and saw most of it).  Since my daughter hadn't seen the episode, I had to stiffle a laugh when Krista commented that she hopes the task is more than just grabbing a fish.  

Racers have been penalized in the past for choosing a taxi over a clue that says walk. So there have been penalties for choosing an alternative mode of transit. Now, whether there have been penalties for choosing a different route, which essentially was the case with the ferry situation, I don't remember.

The ferry clue said to go to the Hong Kong Ferry terminal and take the Premiere Ferry. Generally, the flight clues say "Fly to Paris" and don't specify which airline or flight to take.  I woudl thinkt hat if the clue said "Go to the JFK airport and fly to Paris" and a team went to LaGuardia and flew to Paris, they would be penalized.

However, I don't think they get penalized if they don't follow the travel plans on the clue if their ways take longer.  For instance, I don't think a team would be penalized if they drove three hours to get someplace when the clue said to take a ferry that would get there in 30 minutes.  

Yes, I think that's what we're all hoping for.

In addition, though, I want it to be because he screwed something up.  I want it to be HIS fault.   preferably, a task where diana has an opinion and he over-rules her, because he thinks he is superior, and then the reason they lose is 100% because he made an error.   Then he will cry, and it will be an epic meltdown, sobbing and hitting himself in the head like a 3 year old having a tantrum.   It will be  on video for everyone to see.  And every one he ever encounters for the rest of his life will recognize him immediately as the cry baby from the Amazing race.  

If they would have been philiminated this time, your dream would have come true.  Diana questioned which ferry they took and Justin told her "it's fine." He was also told that the premiere ferry doesn't leave from there, but he didn't care.  He was just happy to find out that it was the first ferry of the day - I suppose because he thought that meant they had gotten there first, although he didn't seem surprised to find out that everyone had gotten to the swimming place before him

I don't think we're seeing them melt down due to stress. I think this is their default behaviour, so they know how to cope that way.

Chris: Logan, we're out of orange juice!

Logan: I TOLD YOU!! I TOLD YOU TO STOP AND GET SOME ON THE WAY HOME LAST NIGHT!!

Chris: I THOUGHT WE STILL HAD SOME LEFT! I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE ENOUGH FOR BOTH OF US!

Logan: PUT THAT DOWN! THAT'S MINE! YOU'RE THE ONE WHO FORGOT SO YOU'RE THE ONE WHO DOESN'T GET ANY!!!

Chris: FINE! I'M LEAVING!!

Logan: FINE, JUST LEAVE! I'LL SEE YOU TONIGHT!! LOVE YOU!

Chris: LOVE YOU TOO!!

I think you nailed Logan, but I think that Chris would have said "Now we will never have orange juice again."

• Love 6
The ferry clue said to go to the Hong Kong Ferry terminal and take the Premiere Ferry. Generally, the flight clues say "Fly to Paris" and don't specify which airline or flight to take.  I woudl thinkt hat if the clue said "Go to the JFK airport and fly to Paris" and a team went to LaGuardia and flew to Paris, they would be penalized.

However, I don't think they get penalized if they don't follow the travel plans on the clue if their ways take longer.  For instance, I don't think a team would be penalized if they drove three hours to get someplace when the clue said to take a ferry that would get there in 30 minutes.  

At some point in TAR18, teams were required to fly on a specific spoon-fed flight from Narita, but Kent & Vyxsin got lost and missed it. Even though they ended up losing like 12 hours, and having the perfectly valid excuse of not being able to take the specific flight since it was long gone, they still got a 30-minute penalty at the end of the leg. Although rules regarding air travel are probably widly different than ferry/train/car travel.

I do have to say that I don't think the production team are that good at picking winners and losers. I think that many of the eliminated teams looked very strong on paper (Josh and Tanner, Cindy and Rick, Jazmine and Danielle) and some of the teams that stayed in it a long time were ones I thought would go out early (Denise and James Earl, Logan and Chris, Tiffany and Krista).

I agree that they can never be sure who will run the race well, and who will run poorly.  We've seen it before: The strong team that flakes out on the first leg, and the supposedly weak team that hangs in there, week after week, and runs away with the prize in the final episode.  

However, if you think you have a strong team and you want to set them up for a win, you can select what you think are weaker teams to compete against them.  You may not get it right, but you can sway the probabilities.  It's like corner-weighting dice.  You can't guarantee they will roll seven, but they are more likely to roll seven.

Now, I'm not really accusing TPTB of this, but I have noticed that in recent seasons the fields do appear to be unusually weak, with only a couple of teams that I'd call "competent".  So what, are there no good racers left to apply for the race?  Is it that being a YouTube star is now more important than being a good racer?  Or are they deliberately picking a majority of hopeless cases, to make the selected few look good in a race that is getting less and less challenging every year?

Yeah, I am not sure what exactly Justin has done that makes him such a great race in his own mind. It isn't like he is finding using amazing time-saving travel methods, able to read a map better than other racers. Most of the tasks that he has done haven't really required "skills" or "talent". In fact, I remember when he botched the meat tying task in Argentina.

• Love 3

Now, I'm not really accusing TPTB of this, but I have noticed that in recent seasons the fields do appear to be unusually weak, with only a couple of teams that I'd call "competent".  So what, are there no good racers left to apply for the race?  Is it that being a YouTube star is now more important than being a good racer?  Or are they deliberately picking a majority of hopeless cases, to make the selected few look good in a race that is getting less and less challenging every year?

I think the recent example that really sticks out to me is the All Stars race, #24, last year.  There were a bunch of teams that were quite weak, and given that they already had a track record, it's hard to see why they were chosen.

At any rate, what I really hope is that the final is truly open ended and not just a victory lap, like Season 24.  There was absolutely no suspense or opportunity for a lead change. That was a complete waste of time and was made worse by crowning a really unpleasant winner.

It was TAR 24 that made me suspect jiggering with the race to favor a certain team.   That was Connor and Dave's win.   It was also the season that suddenly the roadblock balancing rules suddenly went away.    Hmmmm, so that younger, fitter Connor could do take on more of the Roadblocks than older, less fit Dave.   Even the non-physical challenges were so easy we wondered why Dave didn't do them.   They were clearly designed with the less fit partner in mind without being brain busters.   

This year, we have no no self-driving.   Could be because one team cannot drive a stick but is really good at navigating public transportation?   Or they lost the Ford sponsorship, you decide.   I will give Justin credit for one thing -- finding that earlier train out of Paris was smart.   

You notice the one time he gets a bad taxi, it was just about all over for them.    And he was willing to ignore clear directions in order to jump ahead.   Because it's about winning.   He deserves to win dammit, let the lesser contestants who come in second all the time (first loser) follow them.   HE's going down in the TAR record books.   Which yeah, that $5 gets you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.   Really, it's not like the TAR Record Books are even the equivalent of Guiness let alone important in the grand scheme of things.  Dude, get some perspective.

• Love 1

Justin's sense of bitter entitlement would be the best part.

I would watch a show where people just pop out of nowhere and punch Justin in his smug face.  Like Justin is walking to the corner bakery smirking and "mi amigo" ing to everyone on the block and suddenly someone just comes up and punches him.  Justin is going to work, smirking and as he walks into the building...someone punches him in the face.  He never quite knows when its coming.....

See, just no. I don't like Justin. I think he is an asshat who plays to the camera. I think he is upbeat when he is in front and that he turns into a raging asshole who is awful to his partner when he is not in first. I wanted him to be eliminated.

But the idea that anyone is advocating, most likely in jest, physical violence because they don't like someone on a reality show is wrong. It really is. We are all adults with a keyboard in front of us who should be able to find a better way to voice our displeasure.

• Love 3

But the idea that anyone is advocating, most likely in jest, physical violence because they don't like someone on a reality show is wrong.

I'm sure it was just in jest.  As was an earlier suggestion of mine, that I'd like him to be hit by a train.

Still, if someone did cold-cock him... someone like Diana...

• Love 1

I kinda agree, even in jest, advocating physical violence is not right.   Over in the celebrity news thread we were discussing the hell that show runners get if they make "unpopular" decisions.    From simple name calling to out right death threats.   Just because it's a joke does not mean it's okay. 

Now you can say, I would watch a show where someone randomly pops up wherever Justin is to remind him he LOST THE AMAZING RACE (if he does).   That would be funny.   But not too over the line.

I can't add more than everyone has said, but I do think that crying Justin is not as annoying to me as bullying/braggart Justin is.  And I think it is the two of them together that cause the problem.  If he was just a braggart or crybaby he would be more palatable.

I think I am just going to have to treat it as a Zach & Flo sort of situation.  I was glad for HIM that they won since he had to put up with her all the time.  I'll be happyish for Diana, particularly if it gives her the resources to leave him. :-)

And count me in as someone who has never been particularly bothered by Chris & Logan.  Their bizarre dynamic seems to only be directed at each other (and at themselves really) so they are their own special brand of fascinating dysfunction.  They sort of remind me of Momma's Family where the arguments were pitched so high but the stakes were so low.

Edited to say that I liked Sam's son, and Phil's use of "WILL be eliminated."  And to say, go Team Haggoo!

Edited by LBFilmBuff
  • Love 1

Yes, it's like playing a board game with a little kid who isn't used to playing with others.   when he's ahead, it's  ha-ha, I'm so great, nobody can beat me.  When he's losing, it's Boo-hoo, this is terrible, I can't stand it, it's so unfair.    

A true "superfan"   of TAR would know  two things -  Acknowledge your partner, always, as being the reason you do well.   And acknowledge and praise the other teams.  Teams who say it's a tough competition because the other teams are so good, get a lot more respect than teams who have the "I am the greatest"  attitude.  Justin has blinders on.  He's been wanting to go down in TAR history as the guy who got the most first place legs and then won -  basically he wants to be the greatest racer who ever raced.    He's losing sight of the fact that fans don't care about that as much as he thinks.  Fans of the show care more about LIKING a team and rooting for them to win.  TAR seems in a lot of ways to be a test of character.  and he's losing at that, no matter what place he ends up in.

Until your post, it never occurred to me that playing a good "social game" (a term from Survivor) is in some ways as important as running a great race.    A bad social game won't necessarily prevent you from winning a million dollars on TAR, but if you're hoping to be remembered by fans with any degree of fondness or respect, a good social game is mandatory.

What if the hateful Weaver family had won their season.   We'd still be recalling it as one of the great injustices of race history.

The same thing may happen to Justin Scheman.   He may get his wish to go down in the record books as He Who Won the Most Legs, but instead we and other viewers will remember him as the incredible.... what was the word someone used above, douchenozzle? ... who won Season 27.    It would almost be an O. Henry ending.    What Justin wants most is to win and be admired.   Instead, he may win and be reviled.   Even a million can't buy you the public's respect.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 2

Of course if any other team does win over Green, I know there will be more camera time for Justin's tear stained, snot laden face.

I love this. Any and all of Justin's expansive screen time will be worth it all if the last shot of him is his tear stained, snot laden face. I think I'm going to record the finale, check the forum and delete if Green Team wins. I just can't bear the thought of watching his pompous, entitled crowing if he wins. I've already skipped a few episodes this season; I refuse to watch this jackass win.

I didn't mind Team Green before, but Justin is unbearable when things don't go his way.  I still don't hate him, and I don't mind if they win next week, since this week was good ol' punishment for him.  I'd still rather see them win than Dave and Connor a few seasons back.  

I liked the cheerleaders, and it was nice how the taller one encouraged Krista.  In the interview, she said she could see the fish from above the water, so she knew where they were, but the bubbles and lights made her go elsewhere once she was underwater.  The two of them came off really well in the interview, I think, especially the taller one.  They were a tad whiny during tasks, but personality-wise, I liked them more than the remaining teams.

I can't believe Logan and Chris got first and into the final 3.  I would still have preferred it if they got eliminated this week.

I was listening to that taxi driver, and I think what he said was "It can't be.  There can't be another one", or something of the sort.  So I think he was confused and thought there was another street of the same name somewhere else.  It seemed like they kept using the same reaction shot from the driver while Justin was arguing with Diana, which was weird.

Yes! When Phil said "WILL be eliminated," I let out a sigh of relief that we weren't going to drag this out for another week of the four teams competing to see who was in the final race.

I always get shivers down my spine when Phil breaks out the "will be eliminated". It's like, okay, kids. No more messing around here. Somebody's going home today. :)

The same thing may happen to Justin Scheman.   He may get his wish to go down in the record books as He Who Won the Most Legs, but instead we and other viewers will remember him as the incredible.... what was the word someone used above, douchenozzle? ... who won Season 27.    It would almost be an O. Henry ending.    What Justin wants most is to win and be admired.   Instead, he may win and be reviled.   Even a million can't buy you the public's respect.

The thing that irritates me most about all the "counting wins" stuff is that Rachel and Dave didn't even mention it. They were just like, "Heads down, let's power through, there's only one win that matters", and it wasn't until they got to the Finish Line that Phil brought it up to them. Whereas Justin started his "going for the record" thing about three episodes ago. Even if he ties Dave and Rachel, they still win out on class. (And even when Dave was a jerk, which happened, he wasn't a bully like Justin is.)

• Love 2

Even if he ties Dave and Rachel, they still win out on class. (And even when Dave was a jerk, which happened, he wasn't a bully like Justin is.)

I met Rachel and Dave, and even though I didn't think highly of Dave in the initial episodes of their season, Dave and Rachael both turned out to be great people who you couldn't help like.  They made no effort to be likable, they just were. 

Justin could win 20 legs of the race, and he still wouldn't be better than Rachel and Dave.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 3
Also, I think teams are never penalized if they realize their own mistake and go back and do it right themselves. So if you get to the destination, re-read the clue just as you're about to get out of the taxi and see that it says, "travel by foot", and then retrace your steps and walk it, no penalty. But I think once you check in it's too late to try that, especially if it's at an early point in the leg and you can't simply retrace your steps.

The clearest instance of the above would be the second Russian leg from Season 17:

The lady who got hit by a watermelon in the face and her vivacious friend had taken a cab from a watchtower to a cathedral when it dawned on them that the clue stated, "make your way by foot".

They headed back to where they had first hailed that taxi, walked this time around to where it originally dropped them off, and eventually got to the PitStop with no penalty assessed. In fact, this iconic F/F team placed 2nd out of 7th!

This tidbit comes around full circle to the latest episode because their route/course was the last one to visit Hong Kong before now, albeit with a completely different tone, NEL and all:

a151492718efdd9157c4793a73eb1375e4dea3.ged816469729354f692f108f5e52c0ac64e0c96c7

Edited by Supay