Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Cupid Stunt said:

This story was weirdly adorable. Apparently when I was tiny I had a huge life sized doll that that was the Dutch Boy from the paint company. It was bigger than me and I'd carry/drag it around. I named it Lala. I barely remember. I was a lonely only child. I also had my imaginary friends - 100 miniature invisible seals.

• Love 6

(((SweePea))) I was an only child whose parents were very into their careers. Instead of imaginary friends, I had critters. I'd bring home everything I found. Frogs, mice, rats (from pet stores, not the nasty kind). I had hamsters, chipmunks, cats, a rabbit, a dog and finally a horse. 

On a funnier note, my son had one of those Halloween costumes you get at the party store. It was like a skeleton jumpsuit. He wore that thing for a year until the legs stopped at the knees instead of the ankles.

• Love 6

keep-your-distance-at-least-one-dolphin-

Stand apart on porpoise/By SmartSign.com

CNN Interview with White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows: 'We are not going to control the pandemic'

Death of Olivia - NOVEMBER 1962 - In 1962, Olivia 'Twenty' Dahl, eldest daughter of Roald Dahl and Patricia Neal, dies

UK doctors demand free meals for kids as COVID-19 fuels hunger

Impatience: Why we don't want to wait, and what we can do about it

Service members say rare cancers and other illnesses linked to contaminated base

gettyimages-1229199476.jpg

CBS News/Getty photo

"We're here to defend our unity": Nigeria clashes trigger global movement against police brutality

Second Ballot Box Fire in a Week Sparks FBI Arson Investigation

The Hair-Raising, Record-Setting Race to 331 MPH

The Surprising Reason We’re Fighting Over the Supreme Court and How to Fix It -- No surprise.

Australia protests Qatar airport’s exams of women passengers

1000.jpeg

In this Friday, Oct. 23, 2020, photo released by the U.S. Forest Service shows light snow at Division X of Cameron Peak Fire at the Rocky Mountain Park in Colo. Snow and cold weather on Sunday put a damper on a wildfire that has forced thousands of people to evacuate in northern Colorado and burned part of Rocky Mountain National Park, but fire officials warned it would not be enough to put out the blaze. A day after strong winds helped push the fire in the park, forcing the evacuation of Estes Park, the gateway town at its eastern edge, temperatures dropped and no fire growth was expected, Noel Livingston, incident commander of the East Troublesome Fire, said. (U.S. Forest Service via AP)

Snow, cold weather puts damper on Colorado wildfire

Who Dat: A Suave Pigeon Struts Down the Sidewalk and Shows Off its Groove Thang in a New Music Video

When checking my messages got out of control, I sought the advice of experts on addiction: smokers. It worked.

Spooky_Styles_of_Halloween_Costumes_from

Photo circa 1905.Historic Photo Archive/Archive Photos/Getty Images

Celebrating Halloween? We've maxed out on dread in 2020

1000.jpeg

A lone man sits in front of a bar in the main party spot in the Alt-Sachsenhausen district in Frankfurt, Germany, Friday, Oct. 23, 2020. (AP Photo/Michael Probst)

Virus is pummeling Europe’s eateries and winter is coming

"Mank" and the writer behind "Citizen Kane"

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

VEHJNGQX2YI6XAW3MCYVZB2BAU.jpg&w=1440

In Milwaukee, a field hospital has been set up at the state fairgrounds to treat covid-19 patients. (Wisconsin Department of Administration/Reuters)

Hospitals in nearly every region report a flood of covid-19 patients

1000.jpeg

In this Sept. 16, 2020 file photo, Assistant Secretary of Health and Human Services for Health Adm. Brett Giroir speaks at a Senate Appropriations subcommittee hearing on a "Review of Coronavirus Response Efforts" on Capitol Hill in Washington. A day after White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows said “we’re not going to control the pandemic,” a top Trump administration health official says Americans have already proven they can do that through basic safeguards shown to work. “I think we can control the pandemic,” Assistant Secretary for Health Adm. Brett Giroir said Monday on a call with reporters. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, Pool)

The White House Has Admitted Defeat on Controlling the Spread of Coronavirus

Stanley Cup visits children’s cancer center in Tampa

Google Doodle - Dr. Stamen Grigorov’s 142nd Birthday

original.jpg

SUSAN WALSH / AP

Senate confirms Barrett to Supreme Court, sealing a conservative majority for decades

How To VOTE In Your State 

1324a342-7a31-4d52-b512-efa75a80cd5f_750

Police officers move in formation during a protest in response to the police shooting of Walter Wallace Jr., Monday, Oct. 26, 2020, in Philadelphia. Police officers fatally shot the 27-year-old Black man during a confrontation Monday afternoon in West Philadelphia that quickly raised tensions in the neighborhood. (Jessica Griffin/The Philadelphia Inquirer via AP)

Philadelphia police killed a man in a shooting that raises questions, chief says. Then 30 officers were hurt in protests

1000.jpeg

Pro-democracy demonstrators march to the German Embassy in central Bangkok, Thailand, Monday, Oct. 26, 2020. As lawmakers debated in a special session in Parliament that was called to address political tensions, student-led rallies were set to continue with a march through central Bangkok on Monday evening to the German Embassy, apparently to bring attention to the time King Maha Vajiralongkorn spends in Germany. (AP Photo/Gemunu Amarasinghe)

The Russian roots of our misinformation problem

f77ec0cc1d6cf54b8b654b0b141212d4.jpg

Wrdsmith mural/Los Angeles, California

Technology matters, but how real are our virtual lives at work and play?

gettyimages-1159866748.jpg?crop=1.00xw:0

Colorado Dust Storm - 1932/Photoquest/Getty

Colorado is fighting its largest wildfire in history. Other massive blazes are close behind.

201023102041-covid-halloween-chute-thumb5f920109b3607.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

Halloween Candy Chute/Photo Omaha World Herald

How can we do Halloween safely during Covid-19? Advice from CNN's Dr. Leana Wen

1000.jpeg

In this Oct. 20, 1988, file photo, Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Orel Hershiser holds his World Series Most Valuable Player trophy following the Dodgers' decisive 5-2 win over the Oakland Athletics in Oakland, Ca. Since Hershiser struck out Oakland’s Tony Phillips for the final out of the 1988 World Series, the Dodgers have played 5,014 regular-season games and 113 more in the postseason in pursuit of their next title. They have spent $3.69 billion in player payroll over 32 seasons. One more win and that elusive seventh championship will be theirs. (AP Photo/Lennox McLendon, File)

Dodgers 1 win from title after 32 years and more than $3.6B

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

1027vaccine.jpg

Vials of a potential COVID-19 vaccine are seen at a Sinovac Biotech production facility on September 24, 2020 in Beijing, China/Kevin Frayer/Getty Images

The next vaccine challenge: Nationalism

The remote learning center trend, explained

Shut up, I’m manifesting!

The future of the economy hinges on child care

Q_R5ChVKlRml3tKGh9ARAHRDe_YUaWyYIyi9Z69G

Bangkok, Thailand/Reuters Photography by Jorge Silva

Philadelphia Sees More Unrest After Police Shoot and Kill Walter Wallace Jr.

Kazakhstan embraces Borat catchphrase in new tourism campaign: 'Very nice!'

senhsmkhufh51.jpg

Reddit Photo

Judge orders USPS to reverse mail collection limits now

Cake Lady helps wounded soldiers heal, one treat at a time

Court packing isn't the only option. Congress could also limit what kinds of cases the court can hear.

Is Twitter Going Full Resistance? Here’s the Woman Driving the Change.

2559ffed-80da-4d27-a83e-1a831b991d75_192

Corona Pumpkin/WHAS-TV Photo

This week in TikTok: Halloween is still happening ... online

201028005444-03-blue-ridge-and-silverado

The Blue Ridge Fire in Chino Hills, California/CNN Photo

Southern California's latest wildfires rage with little progress reported

?m=02&d=20201027&t=2&i=1538920714&w=780&

Firefighters are seen as the Silverado Fire is approaching, near Irvine, California, October 26, 2020. REUTERS/Mike Blake

Why Health Experts Are Talking About CBD

Whitney Houston makes history with 3rd diamond album

1000.jpeg

Los Angeles Dodgers celebrate after defeating the Tampa Bay Rays 3-1 to win the baseball World Series in Game 6 Tuesday, Oct. 27, 2020, in Arlington, Texas. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)

True Blue! -- Fitting finale: Dodgers win title, Turner tests positive

Breaking taboos: Japan's tattoo fans bare their ink

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 6

1000.jpeg

A health worker uses a rapid kit to test for COVID-19 at a testing center in New Delhi, India, Thursday, Oct. 29, 2020. India's confirmed coronavirus caseload surpassed 8 million on Thursday with daily infections dipping to the lowest level this week, as concerns grew over a major Hindu festival season and winter setting in. (AP Photo/Altaf Qadri)

White House advisers warn of 'unrelenting' COVID-19 spread in U.S. Midwest, West

16-evictions-gty-rc-201028_1603912859059

Hector Medrano was able to get a last-minute salary advance to pay his landlord to forestall eviction from an RV park on Oct. 07, 2020, in Phoenix/ABC News - John Moore/Getty Image

Nobel laureate Joseph Stiglitz on how to fix the economy during and after the pandemic

?m=02&d=20201029&t=2&i=1539271947&w=780&

A protester stands on a vehicle as demonstrators clash with riot police during a rally after the death of Walter Wallace Jr. in Philadelphia/October 27, 2020  REUTERS/Yuki Iwamura

The Secret Power of White Supremacists and How Anti-Racists Can Take It Back

3-D Animation of How Medieval Bridges Were Built

Supreme Court to Let PA, NC Accept Absentee Ballots After Election Day

During the worst summer of our lives, I didn’t have internet. It was the best.

5f99cef05185b.image.jpg?crop=1763,992,0,

Hurricane Zeta/ NOAA Satellite photo

Two dead after Zeta hammers New Orleans, roars toward Alabama

Merriam-Webster Time Traveler -- The English language, for better or worse, is constantly shifting and changing, with dozens of new and useful words being added to our collective vocabulary each year. With Merriam-Webster’s Time Traveler tool, you can browse what new words were first used in years dating all the way back to 1500 (and even earlier). The obvious thing is to look up your birth year, so I did that and then poked around for some other interesting years.

They're digital nomads. They're people of color. Here's how they make it work

800.jpeg

Playwright August Wilson poses for a portrait at Yale University in New Haven, Conn. on April 7, 2005. The University of Pittsburgh has acquired the archive of the late playwright and Pittsburgh native son August Wilson, a trove that contains recordings, letters artwork, poetry, unpublished work and notebooks. (AP Photo/ Michelle McLoughlin, File)

The University of Pittsburgh acquires August Wilson trove

Cecilia Chiang changed Americans' understanding of Chinese cuisine -- Fabulous chef and wonderful host! I had one of the finest Asian meals of my life at The Mandarin.

Billy Joe Shaver, singer-songwriter and hero of 'outlaw' country, dies at 81

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

I really need my preverts today. 

Yesterday I didn't go into work because the day before I ended up coming home and bawling my eyes out so much when I woke up in the morning they were super swollen and I looked terrible. So I took a mental health day. It's just constant criticism over there. It's always everything that I forget to do that is being pointed out to me multiple times a day, but never anything encouraging. And it's making any confidence I have or self-esteem completely disappear. 

And today I woke up to find that my Polish grandmother passed away last night in her nursing home in Toronto. She had Alzheimer's for 13 years and I hadn't seen her in at least 5 years. Apparently, she had been sick for a few days and her blood pressure got really low and she just passed away. They didn't even treat her at the hospital because there were so many Covid cases, so they doctors at the residence treated her there instead.

So I called in sick to work for tomorrow too, although the dentist had the audacity to ask if I was coming in or not. Like no, my grandma died, asshat. 

We can't even have a funeral because we're not allowed to cross the boarder due to the Corona Virus so apparently she is just going to be send directly to be cremated and if this virus ever goes away, we will hold a vigil for her. 

Things just seem to be getting worse as the months go by rather than better, and I'm terrified for 2021. 

• Love 1

Jewel, my heart goes out to you.  When you are that close to troubles it seems like nothing else exists.  But there is a light at the end of the mess.  You can start planning what you will contribute to your grandmother's vigil-your memories of her will still be with you always. You can find another job.  Then you can deliver a message to that fuckupped dentist from MollyB:  Light your dick on fire and stick it up your ass.  Sideways.

• Love 9

So sorry about your grandmother, Jewel.  It sucks that there can't be a formal funeral.  Maybe you can find some other way to remember her and have some closure.  Do something that she loved to do, or have a meal that includes all of her favorite foods.  And then after you've grieved, honor her memory and spirit by getting yourself out of this toxic situation at work.  

My anxiety is through the roof these days, too.  But I'm mildly confident that better, saner times are ahead for all of us soon.  💓

• Love 8

Christ, the Eternal, You have destroyed death through Your Resurrection; give rest to the soul of Your servant Jewel's Grandmother, in Your Kingdom, where there is no pain, sorrow or suffering. In Your goodness and love for all, pardon all her sins in thought, word or deed, for no one lives and sins not, 

We humbly ask Your guidance for the family of Jewel's Grandmother, and lead them through their grief in the days to come. In times of distress we have no other help but You. Have mercy upon them.

You are the Resurrection, the Truth, the Life, and Repose of Your servant, Jewel's Grandmother, departed this life, O Christ, to You do we pray. to Your Eternal Father and Your All-holy Spirit; both now and forever and to the ages of ages. Amen.

• Love 5

?m=02&d=20201030&t=2&i=1539383866&w=640&

Prince of Penzance ridden by Michelle Payne returns to scale after winning race 7 the Melbourne Cup during the Melbourne Cup race day at Flemington Racecourse in Melbourne, Victoria November 3, 2015. Michelle Payne became the first female jockey to win the A$6.2 million (£2.9 million) Melbourne Cup on Tuesday as she rode rank outsider Prince of Penzance to victory in Australia's richest and most prestigious race. REUTERS/Hamish Blair/File Photo

As pandemic raged and thousands died, government regulators cleared most nursing homes of infection-control violations

201027-north-dakota-coronavirus-ac-1026p

Registered nurse Deb Grabo, wearing a 3M powered air purifying respirator (PAPR) hood, prepares to begin her shift at a drive-thru COVID-19 testing site inside the Bismarck Event Center in Bismarck, North Dakota, on Oct. 26, 2020.Bing Guan / Reuters

Is this the end of American optimism?

New Zealand votes to legalize euthanasia for terminally ill patients

usps-rain-snow-fascism.jpg

Feds arrest alleged white supremacy group member who claimed to run "hate camp" in Michigan

?m=02&d=20201030&t=2&i=1539356964&w=780&

Olivia Mancing (L) and Zachery Quale talk outside of Flora Gallery and Coffee Shop near a downed tree in the street after Hurricane Zeta swept through New Orleans, Louisiana, October 29, 2020.  REUTERS/Kathleen Flynn

Reuters PICTURES - THU OCT 29, 2020 - Fast-moving Hurricane Zeta rips across South

This Is What Holiday Shopping Will Look Like This Year

Daylight saving time ends Sunday: 8 things to know about “falling back”

One Good Thing: Kiki’s Delivery Service is the sweetest, most wistful witch movie ever

1420b03415bce2d1bbd3eea9c79d1a29--vampir

Happy Halloween, Preverts!

I'm going to be offline this weekend ... If you're news deprived, let your fingers do the Google-Fu.

Have a spooky weekend!

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 9
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My son is getting married today. It's a Halloween themed Zoom wedding so...I guess we'll see how that works. I'm going as a pirate/gypsy/Ren Fair maiden type thing. Hubby is going as a pirate. I'll tell you how it went. 🎃🥂

Congratulations!  How wonderful for your son and his bride, for you and your husband to have something so life-affirming to celebrate!!

I'm wishing them both years and years of happiness.

• Love 9

Best wishes to Junior LaTour and his new wife for a long happy life together!  (And good on them for choosing not to have a superspreader event.  Hopefully you can all celebrate in person soon!)  

5_tips_to_help_a_cat_and_a_dog_live_together_and_get_along_718_orig.jpg

• Love 10

Thanks, guys. Well, it was interesting. They got married under an arch in the garden outside their apartment with about 10 guests. The rest of us were on Zoom. There were a few glitches but they were funny and cute. The bride and groom wrote their own vows and they both cried and cracked each other up. The Halloween theme was apparent in their gothy costumes and the guests came up with some really creative costumes as well. My favorite was the maid of honor as a medieval plague doctor. The officiant was very modern and defined young Latour's  and his bride's relationship in a beautiful, intimate way. I was really happy the see some of the lad's school friends that I haven't seen in years. DH and I held hands and cried. Lol, my kid is so weird, he made the wedding cake from scratch, red velvet with "Number 1 Dad" on top. They're not having kids.

• Love 12

1000.jpeg

The Klappergasse in Frankfurt's pub district of Alt-Sachsenhausen is deserted in Frankfurt, Germany, Monday, Nov.2, 2020. A four-week partial lockdown has begun all over Germany to slow down the spread of the corona virus.(Arne Dedert/dpa via AP)

At least 31 states set their one-day coronavirus case records in October

see-what-day-dead-celebration-really-loo

Día De Los Muertos - Families decorate a relative's grave with flowers and candles at a cemetery in Tzintzuntzan, Michoacan State, Mexico on Nov. 1, 2015 during the commemoration of Mexico's All-Saints' Day.  Photo: ENRIQUE CASTRO/AFP/Getty File Photo

Mexico's 'Day of the Dead' hits too close to home during Covid-19 pandemic

01_MMP_IMAGE.jpg?1597690220

The memorial will be located on the edge of an urban waterfront, accessible only by a long pedestrian walkway. At the center of the platform, an open void to the ocean beneath allows people to observe nature. It is designed to allow a high percentage of the structure to be pre-assembled for on-site assembly, minimizing the impact on the natural environment. The large, circular structure will serve as a "sensory experience that bridges the gap between the urban and natural worlds, creating an ideal environment for introspection." / Illustration by Architecture firm Gómez Platero 

World Memorial to the Pandemic

• From Architecture Daily: The memorial will be located on the edge of an urban waterfront, accessible only by a long pedestrian walkway. At the center of the platform, an open void to the ocean beneath allows people to observe nature. It is designed to allow a high percentage of the structure to be pre-assembled for on-site assembly, minimizing the impact on the natural environment. The large, circular structure will serve as a “sensory experience that bridges the gap between the urban and natural worlds, creating an ideal environment for introspection.”

190407134602-border-wall-exlarge-169.jpg

Picture of a section of the US-Mexico border fence seen from Tijuana, Baja California State, Mexico, on February 5, 2019/CNN File Photo

Federal authorities expected to erect 'non-scalable' fence around White House

Exclusive: Rashida Tlaib and AOC have a proposal for a fairer, greener financial system — public banking

5033.jpg?width=1020&quality=85&auto=form

Voters wait to cast early ballots in Fairfax, Virginia, on 30 October. Photograph: Jim Lo Scalzo/EPA

Reporting the US election: 'No one quite knows when it will end. Or how'

U.S. judge orders USPS to reinforce 'extraordinary measures' ballot delivery policy

Just when Australia needs it, wheat farmers start bumper harvest

Useful Gifts for All the Practical People On Your List

201031135223-furcifer-voeltzkowi-chamele

Furcifer voeltzkowi chameleons were found in Madagascar, including females whose color pattern changes when stressed, pregnant or encountering males/CNN Photo

Tropical Storm Eta Forms, Tying a Record Set 15 Years Ago

Johnny Depp loses 'wife beater' libel case

_89670552_89670551.jpg

For many, Sean Connery was the definitive James Bond. Suave and cold-hearted, his 007 was every inch the Cold War dinosaur of the books/Movie Still Photo Ronald Grant

Sean Connery, the ‘original’ James Bond, dies at 90

The Black Music Library -- The Black Music History Library is a list of resources (books, articles, podcasts, films, etc.) about the Black origins of popular and traditional music.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Merciful Father, we ask Your light and assistance for the future of Junior LaTour and his new wife. Shine the light of Your grace on them, that they will be guided by Your Divine wisdom. May they reflect Your Sacred Heart. May they be prudent, loyal, sincere, noble, and united in unselfish love. Bless their friendship and may their love in You light the path they travel together. We praise Your Holy Name, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, both now and forever and to the ages of ages. Amen

• Love 6

Whilst men are linked together, they easily and speedily communicate the alarm of any evil design. They are enabled to fathom it with common counsel, and to oppose it with united strength. Whereas, when they lie dispersed, without concert, order, or discipline, communication is uncertain, counsel difficult, and resistance impracticable. Where men are not acquainted with each other’s principles, nor experienced in each other’s talents, nor at all practiced in their mutual habitudes and dispositions by joint efforts in business; no personal confidence, no friendship, no common interest, subsisting among them; it is evidently impossible that they can act a public part with uniformity, perseverance, or efficacy. In a connection, the most inconsiderable man, by adding to the weight of the whole, has his value, and his use; out of it, the greatest talents are wholly unserviceable to the public. No man, who is not inflamed by vain-glory into enthusiasm, can flatter himself that his single, unsupported, desultory, unsystematic endeavors, are of power to defeat the subtle designs and united cabals of ambitious citizens. When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. -– Edmund Burke, Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents 82-83 (1770) in: Select Works of Edmund Burke, vol. 1, p. 146 (Liberty Fund ed. 1999).

The failure of giving into political apathy is as true today as it was 200+ years ago. Edmund Burke‘s writings laid the intellectual foundations for modern conservatism -- A form of cautious conservatism, to be precise.

united-states-presidential-election-2020

Google Doodle/November 2020

Huge voter turnout expected despite virus, political rancor

Nothing Changes at the Stroke of Midnight Tonight

1000.jpeg

The Trumbull County Courthouse is shown, Friday, Oct. 16, 2020, in Warren, Ohio. (AP Photo/David Dermer, File)

EXPLAINING ELECTION 2020

Supreme Court to hear case about juvenile life sentences

201103061856-05-vienna-austria-attack-11

Police stand guard near Schwedenplatz square following a shooting in the center of Vienna/CNN Photo

Austrian police arrest 14 in dragnet after gunman kills four on rampage

Dutch train caught by whale sculpture to be salvaged

U.S. Postal Service investigates mail backlog in Florida, but few ballots

Ant Group's $37 billion listing suspended in Shanghai and Hong Kong

49590576138-19b5c8f0cd-c.jpg?10000

Cedars-Sinai Coronavirus illustration

COVID-19 Global tracker

One Good Thing: Woman’s mission is to honor COVID-19 victims

800.jpeg

Power poles lean or are broken due to Hurricane Zeta damage Thursday Oct. 29, 2020,, in Grand Isle, La., as part of Gov. John Bel Edwards flyover of stricken areas in the southeastern part of the state. (Bill Feig/The Advocate via AP)

Hurricane Eta inches closer to Nicaragua as Category 4 storm

1000.jpeg

In this June 20, 2020, file photo, Tiz the Law, center, with jockey Manny Franco up, crosses the finish line to win the 152nd running of the Belmont Stakes horse race at Belmont Park in Elmont, N.Y. Kentucky Derby winner Authentic heads a field of 11 horses, possibly including filly and Preakness winner Swiss Skydiver against males, for the Breeders’ Cup Classic, with trainer Bob Baffert entering three horses in the $6 million race that includes Belmont winner Tiz the Law. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig, File)

GO Baby! GO! -- Improbable is 5-2 favorite for Breeders’ Cup Classic

De-stress With an Election-Anxiety Playlist

Paglen-Trinity_Cube-01.jpg

Trinity Cube -- When the world’s first atomic weapon exploded in New Mexico in July 1945, the energy from the blast formed a new mineral called trinitite from the desert sand. For his 2015 Trinity Cube project, artist Trevor Paglen took irradiated glass gathered from the area around where the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster occurred in 2011 and combined it with trinitite to form a blue cube. He then installed the cube in the Fukushima Exclusion Zone to continue to be irradiated.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

1000.jpeg

Bartender Sam Schilke watches election results on television at a bar and grill Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020, in Portland, Ore. (AP Photo/Paula Bronstein)

It's all over but for the counting, shouting, recounting and law suits ...

2020 Election Detox

1000.jpeg

A woman reacts as a Kashmiri health worker takes a nasal swab sample to test for COVID-19 in Srinagar, Indian controlled Kashmir, Wednesday, Nov. 4, 2020. (AP Photo/Mukhtar Khan)

The pandemic surge in charts

Why an Old-School Alarm Clock, Not a Smartphone, Is the Secret to a Better Night’s Sleep

Doomscrolling, explained

More Americans on diets from a decade ago, report finds

gettyimages-1218020704-773.jpg

UFC Ring/Getty File Photo

How MMA Fighters Magnify QAnon for MAGAWorld

1000.jpeg

A makeshift globe burns in front of the European Central Bank in Frankfurt, Germany, Wednesday, Oct. 21, 2020. Activists of the so-called "KoalaKollektiv", an organization asking for climate justice, protested with the burning of the globe against the ECB's climate policy. (AP Photo/Michttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFZFjoX2cGghael Probst)

US formally exits Paris pact aiming to curb climate change

David Hockney's most important landscape painting could sell for upwards of $35 million

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

BB1aH89K.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

Voters arrived before 6 a.m. to cast ballots in Hooksett, N.H./© Hilary Swift for The New York Times

A Vote That Flew in the Face of Fear Itself

Judge pushes U.S. Postal Service to ensure all remaining election ballots delivered

Conservative U.S. Supreme Court justices lean toward Catholic agency in LGBT dispute

amaro-coronavirus-cover-1440.jpg

Atomic detail image of SARS-CoV-2/Biology.mit.edu 

US sets record for cases amid election battle over virus

3 ways to improve communication while wearing a mask, from a top speech coach

2336006-819274067.jpg?itok=m830RG2S

A Palestinian boy watcheas as Israeli machinery demolish a house in the southern area of the West Bank town of Hebron, on November 2, 2020. (AFP)

Israel razes most of Palestinian Bedouin village in West Bank on U.S. election day

1000.jpeg

This image from video animation provided by NASA in November 2020 depicts a powerful X-ray burst erupting from a magnetar – a supermagnetized version of a stellar remnant known as a neutron star. A radio burst detected April 28, 2020, occurred during a flare-up like this on a magnetar called SGR 1935. The radio signal was more powerful than any previously seen in our galaxy. The simultaneous X-ray and radio events implicate magnetars as a likely source of mysterious fast radio bursts observed from other galaxies. (Chris Smith (USRA)/NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center via AP)

Fashion site unveils new and improved 'Zozosuit 2'

AAIL33x.img?h=416&w=624&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f

Shutterstock file photo

35 Experiences Worth Giving This Holiday Season

Television special to replace canceled 2021 Rose Parade

Where's the meat? UK's first vegan butchers launches

bear.jpg?w=400&e=cb7cb746305ede510515019

Black bear pictured on the Canadian/U.S border/Photo Canada Border Providers Company

Bear Tries to Gain Entry to Canada from U.S. In 'Forceful Attempt' at Border Crossing

800.jpeg

In this Sunday, Oct. 25, 2020 file photo, an empty street in front of La Scala opera house, left, is illuminated by a red traffic light in Milan, Italy. After a rash of COVID-19 infections among musicians and chorus members, the Dec. 7 season premiere at Milan’s La Scala opera house, a gala event that is one of Italy’s cultural highlights, is being canceled. The theater’s board of directors on Wednesday concluded that the pandemic’s situation and Italy’s anti-COVID-19 measures, which include closure of theaters until at least Nov. 24, won’t allow for “achieving a production open to the public and of the level and with the characteristics required” for the premiere. (AP Photo/Luca Bruno, File )

Spain chooses post-Civil War film as Oscar candidate

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

BB1aJVAJ.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

Protesters near the White House on Thursday/© Amr Alfiky/The New York Times

Biden eases ahead in Georgia; Trump attacks election process

rsz_brett-jordan-cab9pslvohm-unsplash-10

Secret LA File Photo

Alcohol and carbs got America through election night

USPS processed 150,000 ballots after Election Day, jeopardizing thousands of votes

YouTube, Twitter and Facebook remove Steve Bannon video calling for violence against Fauci

Q_R5ChVKlRml3tKGh9ARAJGe9-sxABcDQemX8gDh

Aunchalee speaks at LGBT rally/ Bangkok, Thailand/Reuters photo Chalinee Thirasupa

German police search homes of four suspected of ties to Vienna attacker

800.jpeg

Ethiopian Orthodox Christians light candles and pray for peace during a church service at the Medhane Alem Cathedral in the Bole Medhanealem area of the capital Addis Ababa, Ethiopia Thursday, Nov. 5, 2020. Ethiopia's powerful Tigray region asserts that fighter jets have bombed locations around its capital, Mekele, aiming to force the region "into submission," while Ethiopia's army says it has been forced into an "unexpected and aimless war." (AP Photo/Mulugeta Ayene)

800.jpeg

Dairy cows feed at a feedlot in Sunnyside, Wash., Monday, July 23, 2018. A divided Washington Supreme Court ruled Thursday, Nov. 5, 2020, that the state's dairy workers are entitled to overtime pay if they work more than 40 hours a week, a decision expected to apply to the rest of the agriculture industry. For the past 60 years state law, like federal law, has exempted farmworkers from classes of workers who are entitled to overtime pay, but in a 5-4 ruling the court found that unconstitutional. (Jake Parrish/Yakima Herald-Republic via AP)

Moo ... Washington Supreme Court: Farmworkers to get overtime pay

The US Covid-19 epidemic hit a deadly new milestone, and help isn’t on the way

FDA panel reviews 1st new Alzheimer’s drug in 2 decades

1000.jpeg

Residents wade through a flooded road in the aftermath of Hurricane Eta in Planeta, Honduras, Thursday, Nov. 5, 2020. The storm that hit Nicaragua as a Category 4 hurricane on Tuesday had become more of a vast tropical rainstorm, but it was advancing so slowly and dumping so much rain that much of Central America remained on high alert. (AP Photo/Delmer Martinez)

This is my message to the western world – your civilization is killing life on Earth

800.jpeg

This undated photo provided by The Wisconsin Department of Transportation shows a snowmobile strapped to the roof of a Toyota Corolla in Northwestern Wisconsin Sunday Nov. 1, 2020. The Wisconsin State Patrol pulled over the driver on Highway 63 in northwestern Wisconsin Sunday afternoon after seeing the snowmobile perched sideways on top of the sedan. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation says the 23-year-old driver from Clayton explained to the trooper that he had just purchased the snowmobile was headed to a friend's house to show it to him. (Wisconsin Department of Transportation via AP)

Wisconsin trooper stops driver hauling snowmobile atop car

Megachurch Pastor Carl Lentz fired, admits cheating on wife

Holiday shopping as we know it is over — just ask seasonal workers

Week 10: Pac-12 begins in first monster schedule of season

9f3ebb8e958f76a02c406b64fe7c8755

Painted depictions of a water diviner are seen on unused wheat silos in Barraba by artist Finton Magee/Reuters photo Jill Gralow

Diviner inspiration: Australian artist sizes up silos for huge murals

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

1000.jpeg

Supporters of President Donald Trump protest the Nevada vote in front of the Clark County Election Department, Thursday, Nov. 5, 2020, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/John Locher)

Biden on cusp of claiming the presidency as Trump vows to keep fighting

MG126609.jpg

Petaluma, California: “Catalina is wearing my voting sticker and watching the news with us on Monday night. She’s worn out from the last three months’ news cycles. Yesterday, Jim and I drove to polling stations in Vallejo and Vacaville and ended at a nutty Trump-Jesus outdoor party in front of the State Capitol in Sacramento. Cat begged us not to go to the latter. She said it was dangerous because they don’t wear masks and they yell in your face, but we promised to social distance. (We tried, we couldn’t—don’t tell her.) When we got home she asked us to shower and wash our clothes before we did anything else. She has been so much more responsible about COVID than we have. She’s also been insisting all summer that we should move to Europe—more precisely, Paris—if Trump wins. She’s been fantasizing about the walks she would take, the cafes she’d hang out in, and mostly being free of the news cycle. Today, she’s been stuck to her computer checking the election results and keeping me updated. She just ran into my studio shrieking happily that Biden won Wisconsin and Michigan.”/Alessandra Sanguinetti Photo: Alessandra Sanguinetti / Magnum Photos

The 2020 Presidential Election Through the Eyes of Magnum Photographers

Why the Supreme Court is unlikely to steal the election for Donald Trump

1000.jpeg

A supporter of the opposition parties shouts asking for peace as riot police block access to the house of former President Henri Konan Bedie, in Abidjan, Ivory Coast, Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020. The electoral commission said Tuesday that President Alassane Ouattara had overwhelmingly won a third term in office after his two main opponents boycotted the election and called his candidacy illegal. (AP Photo/Leo Correa)

Steve Bannon loses his defense counsel after calling for the beheading of Dr. Anthony Fauci

The Big Business of Activism

1000.jpeg

People wait for a Corona speed test in front of a traditional small Frankfurt kiosk (Trinkhalle) in Frankfurt, Germany, Friday, Nov. 6, 2020. A doctor offers the test with a result in 20 minutes in the kiosk that was given up two weeks ago by its owners due to low business because of the coronavirus. (AP Photo/Michael Probst)

Books? Hairdressers? Europeans split on lockdown essentials

FDA panel urges rejection of experimental Alzheimer’s drug

Censorship on social media? It's not what you think

Storm Eta leaves 150 dead or missing in Guatemala

Ken Hensley, songwriter with 70s rock band Uriah Heep, dies aged 75

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

Lord of the Powers be with us and have mercy on us.

You are the Father of all people on the earth. Guide our new leaders and nation in the ways of justice and peace. Protect us from the forces of bigotry, evil, greed, injustice, violence, exploitation, conflict and war that are standing at our door, demanding entrance. Help us to put away mistrust, bitterness and hatred for the dark days ahead. Teach us to cease the storing and using of implements of war, that we shall turn them into tools of peace against disease, ignorance, poverty and oppression. Lead us to pursue peace-making, respect and freedom. Grant that we may grow in harmony and friendship as brothers and sisters created in Your image, to Your honor and praise. Amen.

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

AMEN!!  The world looks brighter already.  Let the party commence (both meanings intended).    ☺️

Just hoping and praying for no craziness....

That bottle of Champagne I've been saving is going to get a work out tonight. Hopefully we can come together as a country and heal some of our divisions.

• Love 8

Please pray for me and my family.  I am so scared that I will probably be losing my job in the next year due the election results.  I know many people are happy, but I am beside myself with anxiety.  I will lose my house and I have no idea how I will continue to support my child.  I am sick over this.  Sorry, I know not many people think the way I do, but this is gonna wreck me.  I probably should have never adopted my son.  I didn’t know things would go so sideways.  If it was just me I could make do, now I have a kiddo.  Sorry that I can’t be all happy and celebrate.  Glad y’all got your results.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

BB1aNe7Y.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

A group gathered near the White House in support of President-Elect Biden on Saturday, November 7, 2020/© Anna Moneymaker for The New York Times 

Winners and losers from the 2020 election

BB1aNplG.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

President Trump arriving to the White House after golfing on Saturday, November 7, 2020/© Oliver Contreras for The New York Times 

What’s next? Saturday’s election verdict isn’t last step

1000.jpeg

Voters wearing protective face masks to help curb the spread of the coronavirus line up to cast their ballots at a polling station near Shwedagon pagoda Sunday, Nov. 8, 2020, in Yangon, Myanmar. Voting was underway in Myanmar's elections on Sunday, with the party of Nobel Peace Prize laureate Aung San Suu Kyi heavily favored to retain power it had wrestled from the powerful military five years ago. (AP Photo/Thein Zaw)

UAE announces relaxing of Islamic laws for personal freedoms

1000.jpeg

A city police officer walks in the Vittorio Emanuele II gallery shopping arcade in downtown Milan, Italy, Friday, Nov. 6, 2020. Lombardy is among the four Italian regions classified as red zones, where a strict lockdown was imposed starting Friday - to be reassessed in two weeks - in an effort to curb the COVID-19 infections growing curve. Starting today, only shops selling food and other essentials are allowed to open. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)

Italy shuts down 4 regions as Europe tries lighter lockdowns

1000.jpeg

People shop for lanterns at a roadside stall ahead of Diwali, the Hindu festival of lights, in Mumbai, India, Saturday, Nov. 7, 2020. Diwali will be celebrated on Nov. 14. (AP Photo/Rafiq Maqbool)

1000.jpeg

John Velazquez (9) rides Authentic to win the Breeder's Cup Classic horse race at Keeneland Race Course, in Lexington, Ky., Saturday, Nov. 7, 2020. (AP Photo/Michael Conroy)

NASCAR claims victory in finishing season during pandemic

Tropical Storm Eta threatens Cuba and south Florida

It was all a dream: Whitney, B.I.G. inducted into Rock Hall

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

Merciful Father, You who steadied the hand of Peter as he began to sink on the stormy sea, as you are with geauxaway, no one is against her. Grant her the shield of faith and the mighty armor of the Holy Spirit to protect her and guide her to do Your will. The future we put into Your hands, O Lord, and follow You to a life in Christ. Amen

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Merciful Father, You who steadied the hand of Peter as he began to sink on the stormy sea, as you are with geauxaway, no one is against her. Grant her the shield of faith and the mighty armor of the Holy Spirit to protect her and guide her to do Your will. The future we put into Your hands, O Lord, and follow You to a life in Christ. Amen

Thank you.  I pray things will be ok.  I really do. I am just very scared.  But like you say, it is in the Lord’s hands and I 100% agree on that.  I’ll live through it, but it won’t be easy, which is the scary part of course.  I’ve never had this much to lose.  I pray for peace and love, health and happiness for all.  😘

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, geauxaway said:

Thank you.  I pray things will be ok.  I really do. I am just very scared.  But like you say, it is in the Lord’s hands and I 100% agree on that.  I’ll live through it, but it won’t be easy, which is the scary part of course.  I’ve never had this much to lose.  I pray for peace and love, health and happiness for all.  😘

Forgive me for being obtuse but what does the election have to do with whether or not you keep your job?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
22 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

R.I.P. Alex Trebeck.....      😞

Loved him.

It was not unexpected but damn, it still hurts. The people at my dad's care place are going to be crushed. They all loved Jeopardy and watch it together every evening.

• Love 2

When I heard about Alex this morning, I cried like I haven’t cried since my dad died in July. We watch Jeopardy six times a week in my house, and my 19-year-old autistic son has been a huge fan of Jeopardy since he was a toddler. We even got him an Alex Trebek Pop last year for Christmas (those pop culture toys by Funko). I told him this afternoon that Alex died, and he was sad...I’m really sad about it and feel like I could cry even now 😢

2000.jpeg

The hands of Biden supporter Angelo Austin, and Trump supporter C.L. Bryant, right, gesture as they argue while Trump supporters demonstrate against the election results outside the central counting board at the TCF Center in Detroit, Mich., Thursday, Nov. 5, 2020. (AP Photo/David Goldman)

America the Resilient

Election 2020 Today: Transition limbo, Biden’s new fight

One week in an America riven by politics and the plague

1000.jpeg

Seymour 'Bill' Taylor, 95, from Colchester, who served as an Able Seaman in the Royal Navy onboard HMS Emerald during the D-Day landings joins neighbours in the street to observe the two minutes silence to pay his respects on Remembrance Sunday, in Essex, England, Sunday, Nov. 8, 2020. (Joe Giddens/PA via AP)

UK honors war dead in scaled-back Remembrance Sunday service

2020-07-15T023626Z_89519529_RC2ETH9NPPO0

Mexico City, Mexico/'Frida in pandemic times' painted by the urban artist Julio Aferra /Reuters

United States nears 10 million coronavirus cases

1000.jpeg

An activist turns on LED candles at a memorial for Israel's victims of COVID-19, in Jerusalem, Sunday, Nov. 8, 2020. (AP Photo/Oded Balilty

201109005537-greater-glider-australia-fi

The greater glider (Petauroides volans) at night in Queensland, Australia/CNN photo

Florida braces for flooding and possible tornadoes after Tropical Storm Eta makes landfall in the Keys

1000.jpeg

Game show host Alex Trebek poses for a photo in his Los Angeles home on Aug. 3, 1988. Trebek, who presided over the beloved quiz show “Jeopardy!” for more than 30 years with dapper charm and a touch of school-master strictness, died Sunday, Nov. 8, 2020. He was 80. (AP Photo/Alan Greth)

Alex Trebek, long-running ‘Jeopardy!’ host, dies at 80

“Warmest human spirit”: UK’s former chief rabbi Sacks dies

190702153151-alternative-wedding-photos-

Weldon called his work "a document to weddings in our time, and a contribution to photography for future generations."/Ian Weldon's photo book, "I Am Not A Wedding Photographer."

Photographer captures weddings in their candid, chaotic glory

Chase Elliott drives from back of the field to first NASCAR title

Music from the new members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ... 

Depeche Mode

Depeche Mode on lots of drugs ... Nine Inch Nails

• Useful 1
  • Love 5