Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

Merciful Father, Your love knows no boundaries; lead Your humble servants Inky and SweePea59 with compassion to restored health. May Inky be treated with the care and respect deserving of all Your creation. Blessed are You Lord God, and Holy is Your Name for ever and ever. Amen.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 8

69cc9e09-4ede-444e-beae-36040d7d3cb9-lar

In this March 16, 2020, file photo, a subject receives a shot in the first-stage safety study clinical trial of a potential vaccine for COVID-19. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren, File)

Johnson & Johnson pauses Covid-19 vaccine trial after 'unexplained illness'

Desperate Americans hit by pandemic beg Congress, Trump to pass economic relief bill

BB19WZST.img?h=533&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

Activist Jeanelle Austin waters flowers at the makeshift memorial for George Floyd on Aug. 9 in Minneapolis. The corner of 38th Street and Chicago Avenue draws hundreds of people weekly to grieve and protest/© Joshua Lott/for The Washington Post

George Floyd memorial at stake as Minneapolis leaders seek to reopen intersection where he died

BB19X2ub.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

Gen. Mark A. Milley sought to distance himself from embracing any strict timetable for withdrawing U.S. troops from Afghanistan/© Pool photo by Michael Reynolds 

Top General Declines to Endorse Trump’s Afghan Withdrawal Timeline

webp.net-resizeimage%20(8).jpg

Judge Amy Coney Barrett stands with her family after her Senate Judiciary Committee confirmation hearing Oct. 12, 2020/ rin Schaff/The New York Times via AP, Pool

Amy Coney Barrett's opening statement to Senate Judiciary Committee

Pope Francis warmly greets redeemed Cardinal Pell after abuse trial

BB19XHVs.img?h=532&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

A firefighter battles the Creek Fire in Madera County, California, in this Sept. 7, 2020 file photo/© Noah Berger, AP 

Triple-digit temperatures, strong winds forecast this week 'elevate fire risk' in California – again

1000.jpeg

People watch as pumpkins are weighed at the Safeway World Championship Pumpkin Weigh-Off in Half Moon Bay, Calif., Monday, Oct. 12, 2020. (AP Photo/Jeff Chiu)

Pumpkin weighing 2,350 pounds wins California contest

2 Stanford economists win Nobel prize for improving auctions

Princeton will pay nearly $1M in back pay to female professors in sweeping discrimination settlement

Microsoft attempts takedown of global criminal botnet

Tourist returns stolen artifacts to Pompeii after suffering 'curse' for 15 years

lakers-win-title-cropped.jpg

The Los Angeles Lakers players celebrate after the Lakers defeated the Miami Heat 106-93 in Game 6 of basketball’s NBA Finals Sunday in Lake Buena Vista, Fla./AP Photo

LeBron James, Anthony Davis, Lakers Rout Heat for LAL's Record-Tying 17th Title

Bollywood’s powerful file suit against Indian news channels

1000.jpeg

In this Oct. 16, 2008, file photo Roberta McCain, stands on stage during a rally in Downingtown, Pa. The mother of Arizona Sen. John McCain, Roberta McCain, has died. She was 108. A spokesperson for her daughter-in-law Cindy McCain says Roberta McCain died Monday, Oct. 12, 2020. A cause of death was not immediately released. Roberta McCain married into a storied military family, eloping with Navy ensign John McCain Jr., who eventually became a four-star admiral. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster, File) 

John McCain's mother, Roberta, dies at 108

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

Amy Coney Barrett Senate Judiciary Committee Confirmation Hearing - Day 2:

Amy Coney Barrett faces questions at Supreme Court confirmation hearing: Live updates

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 2

merlin_169038867_78a2585c-98ff-41c4-8aed

Staff members at the Westminster-Canterbury senior living community. A shortage in testing supplies has forced the facility to rely on an outside lab that charges $100 per test/ Photo Credit...Julia Rendleman for The New York Times

Some states raising doubts about federal tests sent to nursing homes, citing shaky reliability

1000.jpeg

This image provided by Apple shows a display of the new iPhones equipped with technology for use with faster new 5G wireless networks that Apple unveiled Tuesday, Oct. 13, 2020. (Apple via AP)

After two lost decades, U.S.'s weakest local economies may face worse from pandemic

guns-laws-america_2435422b.jpg

A gun buyback scheme in Camden, New Jersey, saw a surge in guns handed in after the Newton massacre/CREDIT: Photo: AP

Gun ownership by state

Census.jpeg

The Supreme Court says Donald Trump can immediately shut down the 2020 census count/Photo Illustration by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

The Supreme Court just let the Trump administration shut down the census early

27bb723f-1948-4382-83a4-e255391774ca.jpe

Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett listens during her confirmation hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Capitol Hill on Tuesday, Oct.13, 2020/ Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images

Amy Coney Barrett Senate Confirmation Hearings - Day 2 - NBC News

cfntalkgettyimages-88622717-464x290.jpg

Shutterstock file photo

Why are jail phone calls so expensive?

1000.jpeg

A soldier of Kyrgyz army guards a checkpoint on a city street in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, Monday, Oct. 12, 2020. Kyrgyzstan's president on Monday ordered a new, week-long state of emergency in the country's capital after parliament failed to consider and approve his previous order within the legally required three days. (AP Photo/Vladimir Voronin)

Parliament in Kyrgyzstan endorses state of emergency

This Company Is Getting Rich by Turning Jackfruit Into Pork

8F7A4887-M.jpg

Charlie Bergstrom of Lancaster, which is just south of the Canadian border, grew the record-breaking gourd, which weighed in at an incredible 1,990.5 pounds/Photo Pumpkinphoto.com

Record-Breaking Pumpkin Rocks Stillwater’s Virtual Harvest Fest

Before-and-After-Heron-Island.jpg

Before the 2016 bleaching event on the Great Barrier Reef in Australia (top), and after (bottom). Image courtesy XL Catlin Seaview Survey.

Warming has killed half the coral on the Great Barrier Reef, study finds. It might never recover.

1000.jpeg

In this undated photo made available Monday, Oct. 12, 2020, ancient Greek and Roman marble statues are seen prior to going on display in the newly refurbished Villa Caffarelli, one of the Capitoline Museum’s exhibition spaces overlooking the ancient Roman Forum, in Rome. One of the most important private collections of ancient Greek and Roman marble sculptures is going on display Monday as part of the Eternal City’s 150th anniversary celebrations. (Fondazione Torlonia via AP)

Torlonia Collection of ancient marbles displayed in Rome

• Love 3

She left this morning. Here's what I just posted on fb...

Very sad news. Dear sweet little Inky passed away.

(Warning - this is a long indulgent cat post, so fix a cup of tea or crack open a beer.)

She came into the house in 2009. She was a feral cat who just showed up in the neighborhood one day. Her first year or so was a mystery. She had a clipped ear - she had been captured, spayed and released. It seemed like she had lived in a house before and wanted to live in one again. She used to beg by the door and hold up one paw like Lassie. She had a sore paw. The vet confirmed that she had been attacked by an animal at some point. One day she held up the wrong paw. Busted! My roommate called her out on it and she was embarrassed. The paw trick wasn't going to work on us anymore. But that's probably when my roommate bonded with her and decided to bring her in. He rescued her and she knew it. She was his cat. She would talk and talk to him. Such meowing! It took years to get her to act like a somewhat normal cat, like the kind you raise from a kitten. Inky seemed to have been separated from her mother too early in life and missed out on a lot of basic cat training. I couldn't really get her to play much. She liked best when a toy came from around the corner from the side of furniture. One day when I was using a flashlight I noticed her interest and chasing the flashlight's beam became her favorite thing, which of course eventually progressed to trying to capture the red dot. Her favorite color was pink. She loved cat grass. I used to grow it all the time for her. And this year I was pulling up fresh grass from the yard for her. She even liked crab grass! I didn't dare go out and not return with a handful of fresh grass. She had a word for it and she would point with her nose to show me where to put it down for her. She hated human food, she wouldn't eat any of it - no table scraps, milk, egg, or even tuna water for her. She only wanted processed cat food. And if you could see a little shrimp in it she'd eat around that. She had had to scavenge a lot when she was feral. She liked having the tv on and would come in the room to watch my soaps with me. Even just this Monday she came in and sat by my feet facing the tv at 12:29 so I could turn on the tv for our 12:30 soap. She was not a lap cat and not even very fond of being touched but one day I found the perfect way to pet her using an empty cardboard paper towel roll. Then it eventually became a wrapping paper tube. I could sit comfortably on the couch and pet her easily on the floor. (She stopped jumping up on furniture years ago. Her early rough beginning accelerated her aging, I think.) She loved being pet with cardboard! And you know the end on the roll got worn in and bent just right to make it even better. I think it simulated a cat tongue feeling and apparently was much better than human hands. I already miss her so much. Goodbye Little Mrs. Inky, Princess Inky, Mrs. Prettyface, Inks Padinks, Snicklefrit, and all the other silly names I called you. I will miss you forever. She was such a good girl, and loved hearing us tell her that. When an animal loves and trusts you there is nothing more precious. Here is a picture of Inky from February of this year. She was a pal/therapy pet through this pandemic and these hard times. I will love and miss her forever.

121643837_838726650228716_5050424579892639087_o.jpg

Edited by SweePea59
ETA: And there's a lot more I could say about her!
  • Love 4

Heavenly Father, Creator of all things, thank You for having entrusted SweePea59 and Roommate with beloved Inky. She gave them her wild, unselfish love and trust. Blessed will be the memories that they can recall to ease their grief and brighten their days for the rest of their lives. In gratitude, they return Inky to Your loving arms. Amen.

• Love 8

So so sorry, SweePea.  It's the worst feeling of emptiness.  Thank you for sharing your story of how Inky chose you and changed your life, and for the picture of your beautiful girl.  I like to think that my boys Rocky and Boris are showing Inky all of the fun things to do at Rainbow Bridge.  Be at peace, Inky.  💖

Edited by Snaporaz
  • Love 8

Amy Coney Barrett Senate Judiciary Committee Confirmation Hearing - Day 3:

Amy Coney Barrett Senate Confirmation Hearings - Day 3 - NBC News

Confirmation Hearings Shouldn’t Be So Worthless

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

alex-face-15.jpg

Mural by Poland-based artist Natalia Rak/Photo Alex Face

US reports nearly 60,000 new Covid-19 cases

US regulators approve 1st treatment for Ebola virus

01-mobile.jpg

Karolina Duzniak and her fiancee Ola Głowacka drive away from Kozy/ Photographs by Sarah Tilotta, CNN

Amy Coney Barrett's confirmation hearing: Day 4 -- The witnesses Democrats have chosen to appear at Barrett's hearing

Screen-Shot-2020-10-14-at-10.46.48-AM.pn

Fall is under way, and that means it’s officially 2021 calendar season -- 2021 Australian Firefighters Calendar

201014165037-01-dea-meth-bust-exlarge-16

The drugs were seized on October 2. Acting DEA Administrator Timothy Shea announced the bust at a press conference Wednesday/CNN Photo

This Is Why You Can't Stop Making Bad Decisions, Research Shows -- A recent list

The 35 Best Finds at Ikea

A man flying in a jetpack has been spotted again in the skies over Los Angeles

Italian police break up counterfeit wine ring

201015071952-restricted-02-cows-cattle-c

Cattle enjoy being stroked along the underside of their neck, researcher Annika Lange says/CNN photo

Moo -- Cows prefer to co-moo-nicate in person, research suggests

Billboard Music Awards 2020: See Who Won

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Amy Coney Barrett Senate Judiciary Committee Confirmation Hearing - Day 4:

• Love 1

800.jpeg

This Tuesday, April 7, 2020, file photo shows a bottle of hydroxychloroquine tablets in Texas City, Texas. The U.N. health agency says the world's largest randomized trial of COVID-19 treatments found “conclusive evidence” that a repurposed malaria drug that U.S. authorities have made a pillar of treatment and President Donald Trump has touted has little or no effect on severe cases. The World Health Organization announced Friday, Oct. 16, 2020, the long-awaited results of its six-month “Solidarity Therapeutics Trial” that endeavored to see if existing drugs might have an effect on the coronavirus. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip, File)

Study finds 4 drugs have little to no effect on COVID-19

BB19XblJ.img?h=533&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

The Denka Performance Elastomer chloroprene plant sits just a few hundred yards from the residential streets of Reserve, LA./© Jasper Colt, USA TODAY 

Racism turned their neighborhood into 'Cancer Alley.’ Now they’re dying from COVID-19.

1000.jpeg

Andres Gomez works inside an amber mine near the community of Jotolchen II in Chiapas state, Mexico, Thursday, Sept. 10, 2020. The 11-year-old said that before the new coronavirus pandemic hit, he attended school and then would spend a couple of hours mining after class, but since the school closed in March he is spending entire days mining. (AP Photo/Eduardo Verdugo)

Pandemic driving children back to work, jeopardizing gains

Drug May Extend A.L.S. Patients' Lives by Several Months, Study Finds

FDA extends pregnancy warning for common pain relievers

Pope taps cardinal from Congo to join group of key advisors

1000.jpeg

In this July 25, 2020, file photo, signs, flowers and candles expressing love for the Jewish community stand outside the Temple Emanuel in Pueblo, Colo. Richard Holzer, 28, a man described by federal prosecutors as a neo-Nazi and white supremacist, pleaded guilty Thursday, Oct. 15, 2020, to a hate crime for plotting to bomb the historic Colorado synagogue last year. (Christian Murdock/The Gazette via AP, File)

Anger erupts in American cities after charging decision in Breonna Taylor case

BB1a4DSB.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

Police officers outside the Supreme Court speak Thursday to a demonstrator protesting the nomination of Amy Coney Barrett.© Astrid Riecken/for The Washington Post

Republicans set Barrett on swift course to confirmation to the Supreme Court

Black skeptics uplift their community through social justice

1000.jpeg

In this Nov. 1, 2017, file photo, Tarana Burke, founder and leader of the #MeToo movement, marches with others at the #MeToo March in the Hollywood section of Los Angeles. As the #MeToo movement marks the third year since it received global recognition, Burke is working to make sure it remains inclusive and reclaims its original intent: A focus on marginalized voices and experiences. (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes, File)

On #MeToo anniversary, leaders say focus is on inequality

Scramble to get people counted as 2020 census winds down

BB1a4UWi.img?h=533&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

Firefighters battle the Bobcat Fire north of Mt. Wilson on Angeles Crest Highway. © Robert Gauthier / Los Angeles Times)

Trump administration blocks California wildfire relief

201014115239-poland-ww1-bomb-explosion-e

World War II Tallboy bomb exploding near the Polish port of Swinoujscie/Photo CNN

WWII Tallboy bomb explodes in canal in Poland

Facebook and Twitter Have Bitten Off Too Much

1000.jpeg

Acting U.S Attorney for the Northern District of New York, Antoinette T. Bacon, speaks at a repatriation ceremony for the painting "Winter" Thursday, Oct. 15, 2020, in Albany, N.Y. The painting, discovered in an upstate New York museum, was part of a cache of art seized by the Nazis from the Mosse family in Berlin in 1933. (AP Photo/Michael Hill)

Jewish family’s painting looted by Nazis in 1933 is returned

Researchers discover fossils of new species in Arizona

8 Hacks To Make Your Smoothie Healthier

shelby-fri-fashion-2-1602261833.jpg?crop

Photo array Marie Claire

The Spring 2021 Colors You're Going to See Everywhere

800.jpeg

This image released by Profiles in History shows a Santa Clause and Rudolph reindeer puppet used in the filming of the 1964 Christmas special "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer." The soaring reindeer and Santa Claus figures who starred in in the perennially beloved stop-motion animation Christmas special “Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer” are going up for auction.Auction house Profiles in History announced Thursday that a 6-inch-tall Rudolph and 11-inch-tall Santa used to animate the 1964 TV special are being sold together in the auction that starts Nov. 13 and are expected to fetch between $150,000 and $250,000. (Profiles in History via AP)

Rudolph and his nose-so-bright into auction will take flight

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 10/4/2020 at 10:13 AM, Cupid Stunt said:

Great news about geauxaway Jr. returning to school and on a regular schedule! How are you doing?

The cable bill is galling; We have ours as a business expense, but that's not helpful when the content is 500 channels of predicable crud. The only programming I watch is Weather Channel, Cartoon Network, Show, BBC, TMC, PBS, CALFire on community channels.

Don't be a stranger, geauxaway.

Things are still going good!  This tiny ginger kitty is cray but we LOVE him.  Our school has had 3 straight weeks of zero COVID cases ....I’m happy about that!  There are cases with in the district but not at our school so I take that as a win.  

I am not loving this change in temps.  I hate the cold and dark.  Son does not like getting up in the darkness....😩 My flowers are still blooming.  We are going to buy pumpkins tomorrow, set to carve them after next weekend.  I HATE FALL (other than when college football is normal not this year).  I’m ready to skip to Christmas and I  pretty sure I will be buying another new Christmas tree tomorrow.  Once it is purchased....I can make no promises.  Just saying.

PS - BritBox is way better than the BBC offerings on cable. 🥰  😉

• Love 6

ap20289726631943-1.jpg

Health workers use rapid antigen testing machines for passengers who took tests at the testing site at San Francisco International Airport/AP Photo/Jeff Chiu

U.S. coronavirus cases surpass 8 million

2000.jpeg

A model poses during a photo shoot for the Lotus Make-up India Fashion Week, at the farmhouse of a designer, in New Delhi, India, Friday, Oct. 2, 2020. (AP Photo/Manish Swarup)

AP PHOTOS: India holds digital fashion week amid pandemic

1000.jpeg

In this Sunday, Nov. 3, 2019 file photo, anti-government protesters light flares and chant slogans against the Lebanese government, in Beirut, Lebanon. A year ago, hundreds of thousands of Lebanese took to the streets in protests nationwide that raised hopes among many for a change in a political elite that over that decades has run the country into the ground. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein, File)

After Lebanese revolt’s fury, waning protests face long road

800.jpeg

Harvard University graduate student Maya James poses in a park near the university, Wednesday, Oct. 14, 2020, in Cambridge, Mass. Law enforcement and voting advocates are warning that con artists are exploiting the election with scams targeting voters. James received an email from a political action committee that seemed harmless: if you support Joe Biden, it urged, click here to check you're registered to vote. Instead, she Googled the name of the group and it didn’t exist - a clue the email was a phishing scam. (AP Photo/Michael Dwyer)

Scammers seize on US election, but it’s not votes they want

Awash in red ink: US posts record $3.1T 2020 budget deficit

1000.jpeg

In this photo is smoke from the Cameron Peak Fire in northern Colorado, Wednesday, Oct. 14, 2020. The Cameron Peak Fire, one of two Rocky Mountain wildfires, that have been pushed by strong winds has become the largest in Colorado's history. The Mullen Fire in southeastern Wyoming has grown little in recent days. Forecasters expect dry air and strong wind to pose a challenge for firefighters into the weekend.(Thornton Streeter via AP)

Fire forces evacuations for mountain towns north of Phoenix

2000.jpeg

The moon shines through clouds along a highway in New Columbia, Ill., near Vienna, Ill., on Saturday, Aug. 1, 2020. "Sundown towns" like Vienna were places where Black people were allowed in during the day to work or shop but had to be gone by nightfall. Today, some still exist in various forms, enforced now by tradition and fear rather than by rules. (AP Photo/Wong Maye-E)

AP Road Trip: Racial tensions in America's 'sundown towns'

Dallas Morning News staff votes to unionize newsroom

Battle brews in Normandy over plans to commemorate D-Day landings

An endangered lemur that went missing from a California zoo turned up at a church playground

Artist hikes length of Vermont, painting along the way

Lizzo-Billboard-Music-Awards-TV-Event-NB

Billboard Music Awards 2020: Lizzo in Christian Siriano/Photo Credit: Todd Williamson/NBC, Christopher Polk/NBC, Rich Polk/NBC

What does “vote” merch even mean in 2020?

The Most Popular Items Cheapism Readers Bought on Amazon During Prime Day

College sports cuts in the wake of Covid-19 are clouding the future of certain U.S. Olympic sports

40 Delicious Breakfasts from Around the World

Atlanta police make arrest in actor’s shooting death

1000.jpeg

In this May 20, 1957 file photo, Actress Rhonda Fleming blossoms out as a singer and dancer in the first night club appearance of her career at the New Tropicana hotel in Las Vegas. Actress Rhonda Fleming, the fiery redhead who appeared with Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas, Charlton Heston, Ronald Reagan and other film stars of the 1940s and 1950s, has died, Wednesday, Oct. 14, 2020. She was 97.(AP Photo/David Smith, File)

Rhonda Fleming, film star of ’40s and ’50s, dies at 97

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

172991-newscut-files-2015-08-gettyimages

Bikers ride down Main Street on the first day of the annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in August 2015 in Sturgis, S.D. One of the nation’s leading infectious disease experts, Michael Osterholm, said he’s alarmed that the annual motorcycle rally is going on as planned amid the pandemic/Andrew Cullen/Getty Images 2015

How the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally may have spread coronavirus across the Upper Midwest

201016094026-hp-only-20201016-covid8mill

'A harrowing time.' Ten states reported their highest number of new coronavirus cases on Friday

Science has been in a “replication crisis” for a decade. Have we learned anything?

How SCOTUS Nominations Became All-Out War

State Department signals it will keep most details of its spending at President Trump’s properties hidden until after election

1000.jpeg

Nigerian American lifestyle blogger Nifesimi Akingbe stands outside her home in Randallstown, Md., near Baltimore, on Sunday, Oct. 11, 2020. Akingbe has been outspoken about racial equity since the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis. But amid the camaraderie younger Black immigrants like her feel with African Americans, they also see a generational divide in their communities. (AP Photo/Steve Ruark)

Black immigrants find camaraderie, divide amid protests

a-herd-of-sheep-in-a-city-smog-los-angel

Smog; Los Angeles, California/© Provided by Salon

California's karmic debt to the world

373d81022428fb3bd03992fbe201083e.jpg

Diana Ross mural by Alejandro Angel, Bogota, Columbia

Morning Brew, the business newsletter publisher for millennials, is in talks to sell itself to Business Insider

gravesite2.jpg

Decorated gravesite on the Day of the Dead to pay homage to their dead relatives at the cemetery of Metepec on the outskirts of Mexico City, Mexico November 1, 2018. REUTERS/Andres Stapff/File Photo

In a pandemic year, Mexico's Day of the Dead will be more subdued

Race into NASCAR’s championship round begins at Kansas

MGN_1280x720_01016P00-QRKGM-860x484.jpg

This Dec. 17, 2018, photo provided by the San Francisco Police courtesy of the San Francisco Zoo, shows a missing lemur, named Maki. The ring-tailed lemur was missing from the San Francisco Zoo after someone broke into an enclosure overnight and stole the endangered animal, police said Wednesday, Oct. 14, 2020. The 21-year-old male lemur was discovered missing shortly before the zoo opened to visitors, zoo and police officials said. They're seeking tips from the public in hopes of finding the lemur, explaining that Maki is an endangered animal that requires specialized care. (Marianne V. Hale/San Francisco Zoo via AP/Pixabay)

‘There’s a lemur!’ 5-year-old helps crack SF Zoo theft case 

Where Do Our Fruits and Vegetables Come From?

Former CBS News foreign correspondent Bert Quint has died at age 90

The Flaming Lips performed a concert with the band and fans encased in plastic bubbles

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 8

1000.jpeg

A woman wearing a face mask walks in Manchester, England, Monday, Oct. 19, 2020. Britain’s government says discussions about implementing stricter restrictions in Greater Manchester must be completed Monday because the public health threat caused by rising COVID-19 infections is serious and getting worse. (Peter Byrne/PA via AP)

World struggles as confirmed COVID-19 cases pass 40 million

1000.jpeg

People wearing face masks to help curb the spread of the coronavirus walk by an advertising billboard at a popular shopping mall in Beijing, Monday, Oct. 19, 2020. (AP Photo/Andy Wong)

A new study shows malaria’s often neglected toll on a vulnerable population: Pregnant women

1000.jpeg

Pro-democracy demonstrators hold posters of protest leaders who have been arrested, during an anti-government protest at Victory Monument in Bangkok, Thailand, Sunday, Oct. 18, 2020. Pro-democracy activists in Thailand launched their fifth straight days of protests on Sunday, scheduling demonstrations not just in the capital but also at several other locations around the country. (AP Photo/Sakchai Lalit)

Thailand's government vows to protect the monarchy after weekend of unrest

oJ6Bi-1603110658-177123-blog-hypatia-h_d

In a photo provided by the Michigan Office of the Governor, Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer addresses the state during a speech in Lansing, Mich., Thursday, Oct. 8, 2020. The governor delivered remarks addressing Michiganders after the Michigan Attorney General, Michigan State Police, U.S. Department of Justice, and FBI announced state and federal charges against 13 members of two militia groups who were preparing to kidnap and possibly kill the governor.

'Just cap her': Texts and video reveal details of the alleged domestic terror plot to kidnap Gov. Whitmer

uk72S8XLfMRVSVYlC9B93IWksVkDljN53M3XfGRj

A woman enjoys the autumn colors at Westonbirt, the National Arboretum near Tetbury, in Gloucestershire, Britain, Oct. 17, 2020 - Tim Ireland/Xinhua/Newscom

ABC Photos: Celebrating the Fall season

Senate Is Playing a Dangerous Game With the Court’s Legitimacy

2000.jpeg

Actresses of the Jewish State Theatre perform during the premiere of the "The Beautiful Days of My Youth" play, based on the diary of Romanian Jewish Holocaust survivor Ana Novac, in Bucharest, Friday, Oct. 16, 2020. (AP Photo/Andreea Alexandru)

Romania's Jewish State Theater explores work on Holocaust

BB1a9fNj.img?h=523&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

A cyclist pauses to take a photograph as police officers direct motorists at a roadblock on northbound Highway 36 at Broadway as nearby residents evacuate as a from the CalWood Fire, Oct. 17 in Boulder, Colo./© David Zalubowski/AP 

Colorado wildfire erupts amid deepening drought, forcing evacuations in Boulder County

What the FCC can and can’t do to Section 230

Touch-and-go: US spacecraft sampling asteroid for return

David Lee Roth's brush with art

1000.jpeg

Norway's Lucas Braathen celebrates in the finish area after completing alpine ski, men's World Cup giant slalom in Soelden, Austria, Sunday, Oct. 18, 2020.. (AP Photo/Giovanni Auletta)

A close personal friend of mine and Minnesota major league sports ... Sid Hartman, Legendary Minnesota Sports Journalist, Dies At Age 100

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

201001131856-maskjackolantern-super-169.

WithLoveJeanette Jack-o’-Lantern Mask/Etsy photo

What are the treatment options for COVID-19?

29906170001_5799232878001_5799230544001-

Deepfake art illustration/USAToday file

Is that video real?

Senate to work through weekend to push Barrett onto court

EU takes action against Malta, Cyprus for ‘golden passports’

Appeals court rules Ghislaine Maxwell's 2016 deposition transcript will be unsealed

Q_R5ChVKlRml3tKGh9ARAEVAK49mGNvbmqqhXMij

Reuters feature report photo/Wedderburn, Australia/Loren Elliott

From disease to bushfires, Australia's koalas face a bleak future

southern-flying-squirrel-raleigh-nc-remo

Southern Flying Squirrel/Shutterstock

NASA mission will touch down on asteroid Bennu today

Archaeologists unearth 'huge number' of sealed Egyptian sarcophagi

The tragedy behind Italy's famous pasta dish

The Clean Label Project

Has Peak TV Already Peaked?

Jeff Bridges says he has lymphoma, cites good prognosis

1000.jpeg

The Tampa Bay Rays practice at Globe Life Field with the roof open as the team prepares for the baseball World Series against the Los Angeles Dodgers, in Arlington, Texas, Wednesday, Oct. 14, 2020. (AP Photo/Eric Gay)

Few fans, masked umps, muted celebrations for World Series

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

1000.jpeg

In this March 24, 2020 file photo, Woodward Avenue is shown nearly empty in Detroit. Before the coronavirus showed up, downtown Detroit was returning to its roots as a vibrant city center, motoring away from its past as the model of urban ruin. Now, with the coronavirus forcing many office workers to their homes in the suburbs, those who remain wonder if revitalization will ever return. (AP Photo/Paul Sancya)

Live Updates: U.S. reports more than 60,000 new COVID-19 cases

We May Never Know the Full Story of COVID-19

1000.jpeg

A stain is on Sarcophagus of the prophet Ahmose inside the Egyptian Court of the Neue Museum after smeared with a liquid in Berlin, Wednesday, Oct. 21, 2020. A large number of art works and artifacts at some of Berlin's best-known museums were smeared with a liquid by an unknown perpetrator or perpetrators earlier this month, police said Wednesday. The 'numerous' works in several museums at the Museum Island complex, a UNESCO world heritage site in the heart of the German capital that is one of the city's main tourist attractions, were targeted between on Oct. 3, police said. (AP Photo/Markus Schreiber)

AP Exclusive: OxyContin maker to plead to 3 criminal charges

USPS-web-700x933.jpg

USPS told its postal police officers to stand down, igniting concerns about mail-in ballot security and sparking another lawsuit against the agency

Parents of 545 children separated at border can’t be found

53f1955a2886984468273af6a1f0ea28.jpg

Headache Stencil antigovernment mural/Bangkok, Thailand

USPS told its postal police officers to stand down, igniting concerns about mail-in ballot security and sparking another lawsuit against the agency

The Most Useless Job Interview Ever

Retired Associated Press investigative reporter Pete Yost dies at age 73

Number 26 -- Epsilon strengthens to a hurricane, charges toward Bermuda

Go OSIRIS-REx! -- NASA skims surface of asteroid to collect sample

Cop shoots and kills pit bull during violent mauling as victim was being bitten, dragged by her neck

LP-13331__07617.1574718914.jpg?c=2

Mookie Betts steals the show as Dodgers cruise to 8-3 win over Rays in Game 1 of the World Series

CMT Music Awards to feature trio of hosts, outdoor stages

‘A Man With a Purpose’: Chadwick Boseman’s Life’s Work Is Far From Over

Spencer Davis, Founder of the Spencer Davis Group, Dead at 81

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
35 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Lol. We're having a very LOUD thunderstorm here. Poor Nathan is under the bed, his eyes as wide as saucers. I always heard cats weren't afraid of thunder. Au contraire.

They're so funny when they they act out the I Meant To Do That Cool Cat schtick when they're totally freaked out. 

Hopefully the thunderstorm won't ignite another series of fires, though I envy your rain; we're desperate for any moisture in SoCal.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

They're so funny when they they act out the I Meant To Do That Cool Cat schtick when they're totally freaked out. 

Hopefully the thunderstorm won't ignite another series of fires, though I envy your rain; we're desperate for any moisture in SoCal.

I would give you half if I could. It's just pouring. But I'll be envying you come January. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

1-1-1.jpg

Steve Bannon portrait/Photograph by Nadav Kander for TIME Magazine

Weird science: How a 'shoddy' Bannon-backed paper on coronavirus origins made its way to an audience of millions

Possible new organ in the human throat discovered by Dutch scientists

‘Something Extremely Bad Is Happening Here’

1000.jpeg

In this Sunday, Aug. 2, 2020 file photo, Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya, candidate for the presidential elections smiles as she speaks to people during a meeting in her support in Brest, 326 km (203,7 miles) southwest of Minsk, Belarus. The European Union has awarded its top human rights prize to the Belarus opposition movement and its leader Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya for their challenge to President Alexander Lukashenko's long hard-line reign. (AP Photo/Sergei Grits, File)

Thai Protesters Reject PM’s Olive Branch, Give Fresh Ultimatum

White America: What More Can You Possibly Ask of Us?

whitehouse-1602691936.jpg?crop=1.00xw:1.

Senator Sheldon Whitehouse questioning Judge Amy Coney Barrett during confirmation hearings/Getty Pool Photo

Senate Republicans defend Barrett against new report highlighting her time on board of school system that reportedly has anti-LGBTQ policies

800.jpeg

This image taken with a slow shutter speed on Oct. 2, 2019, and provided by the U.S. Air Force shows an unarmed Minuteman 3 intercontinental ballistic missile test launch at Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif. The Pentagon has raised to $95.8 billion the estimated cost of fielding a new fleet of land-based nuclear missiles to replace the Minuteman 3 (Staff Sgt. J.T. Armstrong/U.S. Air Force via AP)

Pentagon estimates cost of new nuclear missiles at $95.8 Billion

20200818-methaneemissions-ap-773.jpg

A shale gas drilling site./AP File Photo/Keith Srakocic

French government blocks U.S. Liquified Natural Gas deal as too dirty

Trio who lived on space station return to Earth safely

large.jpg

Sotheby's is requiring minimum bids of at least $90 million for "Grande femme I," but the final sale price will remain a secret/Photo Credit: Courtesy of Sotheby's

Giacometti sculpture offered in secretive 'sealed-bid' sale -- with a minimum price of $90M

Let's Go Dodgers! -- Dodgers fall behind early, drop Game 2 of the World Series to the Rays

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
38 minutes ago, MollyB said:

When my son calls I can hear his windshield wipers going. Waaaa! I miss the rain. 

I bet. I would too. We just had so much smoke, it's such a relief to listen to the rain again and breathe the fresh air. I wish you could move back here. I miss having a local Prevert.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I miss having a local Prevert.

Well, we'll always have this forum!  #Preverts!WeAreEverywhere! 

We still have the smoke and the Sonoma Aroma which is a combo of 'fertilizer', the animals who make it and dry air.  But the up side is the great wine.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, MollyB said:

Well, we'll always have this forum!  #Preverts!WeAreEverywhere! 

We still have the smoke and the Sonoma Aroma which is a combo of 'fertilizer', the animals who make it and dry air.  But the up side is the great wine.

Are you near Sonoma? Beautiful country there. Well, when it's not on fire.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Are you near Sonoma? Beautiful country there. Well, when it's not on fire.

Yeah, on the wine side of Santa Rosa.  There are a lot of vineyards around us.  The fires were a little north of us, but everybody gets the smoke.  Please send rain. lol.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, MollyB said:

Yeah, on the wine side of Santa Rosa.  There are a lot of vineyards around us.  The fires were a little north of us, but everybody gets the smoke.  Please send rain. lol.

*presses fingers against temples,concentrates hard* RAIN! Did it work?

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

201022190646-wisconsin-field-hospital-vp

An overflow medical facility set up at the Wisconsin State Fair Park in the Milwaukee suburb of West Allis received its first patient as the number of people with Covid-19 admitted to hospitals rises/CNN Photo

Task force warns several US regions show signs of 'deterioration' amid Covid-19 surges

Factory farms are an ideal breeding ground for the next pandemic

Permanently remote workers seen doubling in 2021 due to pandemic productivity: survey

BB1ak59f.img?h=512&w=768&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

Pro-Azerbaijan rallies have been held in several Turkish cities since the conflict reignited/© Adem ALTAN 

Turkey's Armenians 'cannot breathe' as Karabakh rhetoric rages

Oregon’s ballot measure to decriminalize all drugs,

CourtBuilding.jpg

Supreme Court Building, Washington D.C.

'Originalism' isn't what you think it is

WireAP_06cbb59cfb424ab3a1d4efa4c4285f89_

Smoke rises from mountain ridges as a wildfire burns south of Highway 34 Thursday, Oct. 22, 2020, near Granby, Colo. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski)

Colorado wildfires drag on later than normal, break records

For my colleagues in Minneapolis:

A fourth-grader walked to school to use its WiFi because he didn't have internet at home

Exclusive: Wells Fargo explores sale of asset management business - sources

landscape-1499895176-classic-falafel-del

Classic Falafel Pita/Delish photo 

Coke is canceling 200 drink brands

What If Friendship, Not Marriage, Was at the Center of Life?

BB1aj0G9.img?h=352&w=624&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

The work, titled "There are combustibles in every State, which a spark might set fire to. -- Washington, 26 December 1786" depicts the Shays' Rebellion, an uprising of farmers in Massachusetts following the Revolutionary War/Photo courtesy of The Metropolitan Museum of Art 

A missing painting by renowned Black artist Jacob Lawrence has resurfaced after 60 years

Bubba Wallace's new NASCAR team reveals Michael Jordan inspired team name, number and logo

Legendary drummer Viola Smith dies at 107

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, SweePea59 said:

I flove White Christmas. It's in my top three movies. There was a point in time when they cut that song out when it aired on tv.

Thanx for the heads up on the Keef video. I guess everything old is new again.

You know those dresses the women wear at the end, while they are around the Christmas tree? I tried to duplicate those for my dolls.

• Love 6

1000.jpeg

A diver demonstrates during a grand opening ceremony of Tokyo Aquatics Center Saturday, Oct. 24, 2020, in Tokyo. The Tokyo 2020 organizing committee held the grand opening ceremony Saturday at the aquatics center, planned to host Olympic artistic swimming, diving and swimming and Paralympics swimming events in 2021. (AP Photo/Eugene Hoshiko)

Olympic swim venue ready and now comes hard part: COVID-19

Anti-Vaxxers Are Targeting a Vaccine for a Virus Deadlier Than Ebola

?m=02&d=20201024&t=2&i=1538671909&w=&fh=

People protest against imposing further restrictions on abortion law in Krakow, Poland October 23, 2020. Jakub Wlodek/Agencja Gazeta/via REUTERS

FBI to assist probe into police shooting of Black couple in Illinois

USPS boosts extra trips, returns mail processing machines to service

Democrats Try to Shut Down Senate, Seeking to Stain Barrett Confirmation

hypatia-h_a49452dc82b00f19e766b80c831b21

East Troublesome fire burns near Grandy, Colorado, U.S. October 21, 2020/Photo Copyright 2020 Cumulus Media 

Crews battling largest wildfires in Colorado history brace for high winds

Are We Trading Our Happiness for Modern Comforts?

Man wins $2M after mistakenly buying extra lottery ticket

LJSO7IYAMNFDZFXLLHJKOJFCNY.png

A chipmunk sits in its own porch restaurant. (Source: CBS News)

"It's brought joy": Georgia food writer opens porch restaurant for chipmunk

NASA probe leaking asteroid samples after hearty collection

Walker Buehler leads Dodgers over Rays for 2-1 World Series lead

800.jpeg

This undated handout photo provided by the Metropolitan Police shows a stolen 15th century Chinese Ming Dynasty vase which has been recovered by the Metropolitan Police during a Specialist Crime operation. British police say they have recovered a 15th-century Chinese vase valued at 2.5 million pounds that was stolen in Switzerland last year. The Metropolitan Police force said Friday, Oct. 23, 2020 that they have arrested two men over the theft of the Ming Dynasty vase, which is thought to have been stolen from a Swiss collection in June 2019 by a London-based organized crime gang. (Metropolitan Police via AP)

Music, and work, never stop for New York Philharmonic's Borda

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

well, the fog was exceptionally heavy this morning.  I'll take what I can get.  Thanks!

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, MollyB said:

well, the fog was exceptionally heavy this morning.  I'll take what I can get.  Thanks!

It's been 30+ degrees cooler this week: Mid-60s and partly cloudy today.

You got yo' Mojo workin' there, Peaches!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

2000.jpeg

A woman wearing a face mask to curb the coronavirus walks in front of a mural created by street artist INO in the Psiri district of Athens, on Friday, Oct. 23, 2020. (AP Photo/Petros Giannakouris)

Texas governor requests use of El Paso-area military hospital for non-COVID-19 patients as cases surge

201023-covid-halloween-ap-773.jpg

Coronavirus-themed Halloween decorations are displayed Oct. 22 on a lawn in Tenafly, N.J/ Seth Wenig/AP Photo

Halloween gets the coronavirus treatment

Covid-19 has exposed the US' need to invest in public health

Americans Took Prevagen for Years, as the FDA Questioned Its Safety

BB1alPDR.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

An armed demonstrator at a far-right group’s rally in Portland, Ore., in September. A think tank linked violence by far-right and far-left groups, in part, to this year’s unrest/© Maranie R. Staab/Agence France-Presse - Getty Images

Far-Right Groups Are Behind Most U.S. Terrorist Attacks, Report Finds

Barrett Supreme Court confirmation to edge closer with Sunday vote

800.jpeg

This photo provided by Air Force Reserve shows a sky view of Hurricane Epsilon taken by Air Force Reserve hurricane hunter team over the Atlantic Ocean taken Wednesday, Oct. 21, 2020. Epsilon’s maximum sustained winds have dropped slightly as it prepares to sideswipe Bermuda on a path over the Atlantic Ocean. The National Hurricane Center says it should come close enough Thursday, Oct. 22, evening to merit a tropical storm warning for the island. (Air Force Reserve via AP)

Weakened Hurricane Epsilon moves north over Atlantic Ocean

1000.jpeg

Sven Spichiger, Washington State Department of Agriculture managing entomologist, displays a canister of Asian giant hornets vacuumed from a nest in a tree behind him Saturday, Oct. 24, 2020, in Blaine, Wash. Scientists in Washington state discovered the first nest earlier in the week of so-called murder hornets in the United States and worked to wipe it out Saturday morning to protect native honeybees. Workers with the state Agriculture Department spent weeks searching, trapping and using dental floss to tie tracking devices to Asian giant hornets, which can deliver painful stings to people and spit venom but are the biggest threat to honeybees that farmers depend on to pollinate crops. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)

The 8-year-old who fears adults can't be trusted to fix the climate crisis -- Me too.

Teens behind latest art damage on Berlin’s Museum Island

Game Four -- 'As Much Fun as You Can Have': The Moments That Made Game 4 an Instant Classic

How 30 Lines of Code Blew Up a 27-Ton Generator

201023080046-stock-person-walking-autumn

Getting outside in the daylight can really boost your mood -- even if it's just for a few minutes./CNN Photo

Europe's clocks go back back. Here's how to stay positive as the nights draw in -- US clocks 'fall back' on November 1, 2020

201022-boy-thanksgiving-table-vintage-se

Shutterstock file photo

Jerry Jeff Walker, singer who wrote 'Mr. Bojangles,' dies at 78

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5