Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

"For my cost-conscious friends who can't afford a real mechanical air filter and/or don't have a forced air system with a "fan-only" setting."

image.thumb.png.2db1e3c02a4ce3e0e9bc6ae8df583fe4.png

"Just a head's up for any of us 40 million or so Americans living under a (literal!) cloud of smoke. The Puget Sound Clean Air Agency says you can make a pretty impromptu air filter with a standard 20-inch box fan and a matching 20-inch furnace filter.

For best results you'll want to get a top-of-the-line filter -- a microparticle rating of 1900 or higher. They're a little pricy but cheaper than an inhaler refill.

The video on the link shows people using screws and flanges to hold the filter in place but!

If you put the filter on the back of the fan (where the air's getting sucked in and not blown out) then the fan will suck the filter up against it. So really you'll mostly just need masking tape to keep the filter from slipping off."

"Here's a link to the do-it-yourself filter page. https://www.pscleanair.gov/525/DIY-Air-Filter

• Useful 4
  • Love 2

The air quality where my brother lives, in Florence, Oregon - right on the ocean - registered today at 538, which is rated as Hazardous for everyone.  My friends in Ashland, where the Shakespeare Festival is held, their air quality is 473, dated as Dangerous.  Ours is running at about 230, which is bad enough, but we at least have air conditioning, they do not.  And there's nowhere for them to go.

No climate change?  Get outta here.

Sweepea59, thanks for the tip, I'm sending it to them.

Edited by boes
  • Love 3

I am so sad for all of our west coasters suffering from the air quality due to the fires. We have experienced that here in the past, but nothing like what you are going through now. Vancouver BC has record worst air quality, and that is from the fires in Oregon. People who don't live in the west don't really understand that these massive fires affect millions of people thousands of miles/kms away.

• Love 3

1000.jpeg

A fire engine from the Idanha-Detroit Rural Fire Protection District sits on Detroit Avenue Friday, Sept. 11, 2020, in Detroit, Ore. The engine was destroyed on Wednesday when the Lionshead Fire over-ran the resort community of Detroit, Ore., merging with the Beachie Creek Fire. Only the post office and a market survived the fire in the town's business district. (Mark Ylen/Albany Democrat-Herald via AP)

The fires raging out West are unprecedented. They're also a mere preview of what climate change has in store

800.jpeg

This Saturday, Sept. 12, 2020 image provided by NOAA shows the formation of Tropical Storm Sally. Tropical Storm Sally has formed off south Florida, becoming the earliest 18th-named tropical storm on record in a busy Atlantic hurricane season. (NOAA via AP)

Paulette rolls toward Bermuda; Sally threatens Gulf Coast

What’s causing climate change, in 10 charts  -- Different ways of looking at the problem.

COVID-19 and the California fires have a connection. Here's how to fight both. -- There's emerging evidence that exposure to air pollution may increase the likelihood of both being infected with and dying from the coronavirus.

1000.jpeg

This Feb. 13, 2013 file photo shows Peeps at the Just Born factory in Bethlehem, Pa. Peeps holiday treats are going on hiatus — another consequence of the coronavirus. PennLive.com reports, Saturday, Sept. 12, 2020, that Just Born Quality Confections says it won’t be producing the popular sweets for Halloween, Christmas or Valentine’s Day as the Bethlehem, Pennsylvania-based company prepares for next Easter. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke, File)

Coronavirus infections among young people rapidly increasing -- As students return to classes and coronavirus restrictions ease, there is a growing number of coronavirus infections among young people, especially college students.

US budget deficit hits record $3 trillion through 11 months

Angela-Davis-Quote_3.png

Combat vet killed by Texas deputy buried in Alabama on 9/11

1000.jpeg

Police officers block and detain protesters during an opposition rally to protest the official presidential election results in Minsk, Belarus, Saturday, Sept. 12, 2020. Daily protests calling for the authoritarian president's resignation are now in their second month and opposition determination appears strong despite the detention of protest leaders. (AP Photo/Misha Friedman)

When Women Lead Protest Movements

Backlash in Pakistan as police appear to blame woman for gang rape -- Investigator says woman raped in front of her children shouldn’t have driven alone

One Sperm Donor. 36 Children. A Mess of Lawsuits. -- Parents thought Donor 9623 was a genius who spoke four languages, not a college dropout with a criminal record.

A YouTuber Placed Her Adopted Autistic Son From China With A New Family After Making Content With Him For Years -- Myka Stauffer built her YouTube following partly by sharing every step of her journey to adopt a toddler from China. This week, she revealed why he’d gone missing from her videos.

A major American city may soon allow 16-year-olds to vote and others could follow suit -- If the proposition passes, San Francisco would become the first large city to give 16- and 17-year-olds the right to vote in local elections.

'Shocking': Blair, Major chide UK plan to breach international law

UK mathematician wins richest prize in academia -- Martin Hairer takes $3m Breakthrough prize for work a colleague said must have been done by aliens

Mississippi subpoenas AT&T for records on $300M project

Trial of British-Iranian aid worker Zaghari-Ratcliffe postponed, UK lawmaker says

5f5a980a6f51f.image.png?resize=480,550

Facebook photo by owner

Spartacus the serval cat found safe after escape from home

Animal populations worldwide have declined nearly 70% in just 50 years, new report says

Once an American foe, now a friend: OPEC turns 60

Mitsui OSK to spend $9.4 mln on Mauritius clean-up after oil spill

Little Richard song to introduce ‘Monday Night Football’

Beethoven’s 5th Symphony is a lesson in finding hope in adversity -- The Fifth isn’t just a famous melody — it’s a story of despair, Beethoven’s deafness, and establishing the will to go on.

Pope teams up with Slow Food founder for environment appeal

Chinese military calls US biggest threat to world peace

Hong Kong set the bar for charter cities. But it's not a blueprint that can be transported

• How History Gets Rewritten -- Hong Kong’s leaders and police have sought to recast what has happened in the past year. Even if no one is convinced, it may not matter.

Pioneering British designer Terence Conran dies at 88

potw2036a.jpg

NASA Hubble Space Telescope image

NASA reveals new Hubble image featuring thousands of multi-colored stars

How to edit writing by a robot: a step-by-step guide

Toots Hibbert, beloved reggae star, dead at 77

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

I am sorry to hear everyone is doing poorly and 2020 is continuing to be a bitch. I wish instead of going to work tomorrow I could lay in bed binging "Julie And The Phantoms" for the third time this weekend while my inner 16 year old squeals in delight while crushing on a hot, 17 year old, ghost boy. 

*sighs*

If only life could be so simple.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I am sorry to hear everyone is doing poorly and 2020 is continuing to be a bitch. I wish instead of going to work tomorrow I could lay in bed binging "Julie And The Phantoms" for the third time this weekend while my inner 16 year old squeals in delight while crushing on a hot, 17 year old, ghost boy. 

*sighs*

If only life could be so simple.

My mother use to say "this, too, shall pass" every time I had something go off the rails.  Like divorce and lost jobs and all the shite life throws at you.  Drove me nuts! Mainly because it didn't solve my immediate problem.  But ya know what?  She was right.  Cheer up! This, too, will get the fuck over. (Thanks, Mom)

• Love 5

7360.jpg?width=1020&quality=85&auto=form

A charred vehicle is seen in the parking lot of the burned Oak Park Motel after the passage of the Santiam Fire in Gates, Oregon, on 10 September 2020. Photograph: Kathryn Elsesser/AFP/Getty Images

Nearly all missing people accounted for as at least 35 killed in fires in US west

20200913-seattle-gty-773.jpg

“If this is not a signal to the United States, I don't know what it will take,” the governor said. Space Needle, Seattle, Washington | Lindsey Wasson/Getty Images

The Counteroffensive Against Conspiracy Theories Has Begun -- Around the world, authoritarian governments have been using disinformation to disrupt protest movements. The protesters are evolving to take them on.

New Orleans, Louisiana Orders Evacuations; Governor Declares State of Emergency in Advance of Hurricane Sally | The Weather Channel

5e8c73de3000006d00153a9d.jpeg?ops=scalef

Washington, D.C./poster by Absurdly Well

State Data and Policy Actions to Address Coronavirus

416n10395-bjrzb.jpg

DJ Ross One -- The Wall of Boom

Sotheby's is auctioning off pieces of hip hop's legacy. Why does it matter? -- Sotheby's Hip Hop Auction

Montana libraries help citizens fill out census forms

Drone maker hurt by US-China rift, opening door to US rivals

How Does This Under-the-Radar Grocery Store Stack Up to Aldi?

Walmart Plus: What you need to know about the new service -- Walmart’s subscription service, Walmart Plus, launches Sept. 15. Here’s what to know about it and whether it's worth the $98 annual price tag.

4256.jpg?width=605&quality=45&auto=forma 

Extinction Rebellion join a protest outside the London office of oil company Shell last week. Royal Dutch Shell have also been targeted by the Climate Action 100+ group as part of a push to make big polluters support strategies to reach net-zero greenhouse gas emissions. Photograph: Barcroft Media/Getty Images

Investors that manage US$47tn demand world’s biggest polluters back plan for net-zero emissions

Next time someone sends you fake news, share these essential tips  -- A fake news survival guide, explained by a librarian.

Apple helped the US government build a 'top secret' iPod, former engineer says

$50,000 reward offered after USPS employee is critically injured in shooting

7 killed at large-scale California marijuana operation

And just for fun, I follow these two – their joy is infectious. I think they are adorable, which I am SURE is not the vibe they are going for, but I don’t care. Here they are hearing Eddie Money for the first time, swooning over Ronnie Spector:

Belarus: 100,000 join rally against Lukashenko on eve of Putin showdown

Two more labs confirm Navalny Novichok poisoning: Germany

How Putin Got Into America’s Mind -- He learned the art of destabilizing his opponents from the Stasi, East Germany’s secret police.

Johnson faces revolt over plan to break Brexit treaty

Why the UAE Made Peace With Israel

Warring Afghans meet to find peace after decades of war

41J+b+NbUaL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Stewart Brand's Whole Earth Catalog, the book that changed the world -- Stewart Brand was at the heart of 60s counterculture and is now widely revered as the tech visionary whose book anticipated the web. We meet the man for whom big ideas are a way of life

local-farmers-open-virtual-far-6058907_0

Vertical Harvest, an innovative three-story greenhouse in downtown Jackson, Wyoming.

It's hard to grow vegetables in this mountain town. Then this farmer had an idea

How scientists could save coral from brink of extinction

Oliver Burkeman's last column: the eight secrets to a (fairly) fulfilled life -- After more than a decade of writing life-changing advice, I know when to move on. Here’s what else I learned

How a mysterious man fooled a Harvard scholar into believing the 'Gospel of Jesus' Wife' was real -- You see what you want to see ... 

Florida city ends anti-sagging saga with move to allow low trousers

How reality TV shows cast the right people  -- A casting director for Queer Eye explains the process.

200912151136-01-przewalskis-horse-clone-

Przewalski's foal, shown in Texas, will be moved to San Diego Zoo Safari Park when he's older./CNN Photo

A clone of the endangered Przewalski's horse is born of DNA saved for 40 years

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, MollyB said:

My mother use to say "this, too, shall pass" every time I had something go off the rails.  Like divorce and lost jobs and all the shite life throws at you.  Drove me nuts! Mainly because it didn't solve my immediate problem.  But ya know what?  She was right.  Cheer up! This, too, will get the fuck over. (Thanks, Mom)

Thanks, MollyB *hugs*

I've always loved that saying. I saw it tattooed on a store clerk's arm years ago and loved it. Over the years I've thought about having it tattooed on me as a daily reminder but with my luck I'd wind up with an infection or Hep C, heh. 😜

Take care of yourself and stay strong, MollyB. That goes for all the rest of my preverts as well. 

• Love 9

6048.jpg?width=1020&quality=85&auto=form

A firefighter battles the Creek fire in Madera county, California on 7 September. Photograph: Noah Berger/AP

Firefighters pushed to the limits as unprecedented infernos rage across US west coast

hurricane.jpg

(Gerald Herbert/AP)

Dismay as huge chunk of Greenland’s ice cap breaks off

Mauritius: Collision course -- How a Japanese bulk carrier strayed from shipping lanes before disaster struck

20200914-ethiopiapoverty-covid-ap-773.jp

A domestic worker who lost work because of the coronavirus prepares food for her family in her small tent in the capital Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. | AP Photo/Mulugeta Ayene

25 years wiped out in 25 weeks: Pandemic sets the world back decades -- Progress on global health and the economy has regressed, Gates Foundation report finds.

verga-bugatti-01.jpg

“Everyone in Wonderland is Mad,” Trompe l’oeil mural by Verga Burgatti/Brande, Denmark

79b73df0b938143baa09c53d4958314b.jpg

Spanish Anti-Monarchy graffiti/Madrid, Spain

A Judge Asked Harvard to Find Out Why So Many Black People Were In Prison. They Could Only Find 1 Answer: Systemic Racism

8de6cc71569beb88bb9313cfd87dbfd4.jpg

Bristol, UK/Banksy rat stencil

Belarus leader visits Putin to secure support amid protests

Exclusive: Russian paramedics' accounts challenge Moscow's explanation for Navalny's coma - sources

U.S. appeals court revives New York tax on opioid companies

Kim Kardashian Responded to Backlash Over Her Skims Maternity Collection -- Critics say the range of shapewear is sending pregnant women the wrong message. 

Postal police union sues USPS, DeJoy over limits to mail theft enforcement authority -- The union argues that this unilateral change by USPS managers violates their collective bargaining agreement

Chinese firms bet on plant-based meat as coronavirus fuels healthy eating trend

Food for Fuel -- EPA rejects production quotas in victory for corn farmers, ethanol producers

Raw sewage flowing into the Tijuana River brings toxic sludge to California -- Beaches are being polluted and communities, including the Navy SEALs and Border Patrol, are getting sick from the waste. 

Venezuela: captured US spy charged in alleged terrorist plot

Oracle won the TikTok sweepstakes. It's inheriting its political problems, too.

Bayer Settles Thousands More Roundup Suits

A golden age of astrophotography, in your backyard

3823.jpg?width=605&quality=45&auto=forma

Mountain lion P-81 has a kinked tail shaped like the letter ‘L’ and only one descended testicle, a condition known as cryptorchidism. Photograph: The Guardian

Alarm over inbreeding after California cougars spotted with crooked tails -- Deformities point to unsettling sign of extremely low genetic diversity in isolated population in the Santa Monica mountains

Relocated Isle Royale wolves form groups, reduce moose herd

Scientists find gas linked to life in atmosphere of Venus -- Phosphine, released by microbes in oxygen-starved environments, was present in quantities larger than expected

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

1000.jpeg

Firefighter Cody Carter battles the North Complex Fire in Plumas National Forest, Calif., on Monday, Sept. 14, 2020. (AP Photo/Noah Berger)

Seeping under doors, bad air from West’s fires won’t ease up

?m=02&d=20200915&t=2&i=1533502727&w=780&

The downtown skyline is pictured amidst the smoke from the Bobcat fire in Los Angeles, September 10. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni

Reuters PICTURES - TUE SEP 15, 2020 - California's ember skies glow from wildfires

1000.jpeg

Waves crash near a pier, at Gulf State Park, Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2020, in Gulf Shores, Ala. Hurricane Sally is crawling toward the northern Gulf Coast at just 2 mph, a pace that's enabling the storm to gather huge amounts of water to eventually dump on land. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbrt)

Hurricane Sally blasts ashore in Alabama with punishing rain

Northern Hemisphere summer was hottest on record, scientists say -- The worrying milestones come as historic wildfires and extreme weather events in the U.S. have sharpened focus on global warming and the catastrophic impacts of climate change.

Water shortages in US West likelier than previously thought

800.jpeg

In this Thursday Aug. 27, 2020 file photo, a child washes her hands at a day care center in Connecticut. A detailed look at COVID-19 deaths in U.S. kids and young adults by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released on Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2020, shows they mirror patterns seen in older patients. (AP Photo/Jessica Hill)

Coronavirus kills far more Hispanic and Black children than White youths, CDC study finds

la-apphoto-charleston-shooting-confedera

Confederate relief at Georgia’s popular Stone Mountain Park/LA Times file photo

Group pushes changes to Confederate imagery at Georgia park -- An activist group has presented its plans for changes to Confederate imagery at Georgia’s popular Stone Mountain Park, including a suggestion that it stop maintaining a colossal sculpture of Confederate leaders

Race, policing, and the universal yearning for safety -- Phillip Atiba Goff explains what we know, and don’t know, about racial bias in policing.

Senator: Allowing college athletes NIL pay is ‘huge mistake’ -- Preferring colleges maintain exclusive monetary rights

1000.jpeg

People gather next of firefighters who are extinguish a building under construction that was the work of late Iraq-born British architect Zaha Hadid, in Beirut, Lebanon, Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2020. A fire broke out Tuesday in a downtown Beirut building near the city's port where an explosion last month killed nearly 200, wounded thousands and left the city's residents traumatized. (AP Photo/Fadi Tawil)

Israel signs pacts with 2 Arab states: A ‘new’ Mideast?

Vinyl record sales surpass CDs for the first time since the 1980s

Removed both feet from mouth -- CNBC’s Cramer apologizes for calling House Speaker Pelosi ‘crazy Nancy’

Exclusive: Top Huawei executives had close ties to company at center of U.S. criminal case

Transportation Committee report blasts Boeing, FAA for crashes, seeks reforms

17125636_298325820583190_833162194012497

Los Angeles flower shop window/photo by Alice Yoo

WikiLeaks' Assange was careful to protect informants, court hears

14 Things Real Estate Agents Don’t Want You to Know

The 22-year-old helping to lead Belarus' protests from behind a screen in Poland -- Stepan Svetlov runs NEXTA, a social media channel on the Telegram app.

5f61328132c3e.image.jpg?resize=1024,576

Joseph Grisamore's mohawk fan is over 42.5 inches tall./photo courtesy of Joseph Grisamore

There is a new world record for tallest mohawk and it's a hair-raising accomplishment

Perfectly preserved Ice Age cave bear found in Arctic Russia

More than 150 countries made a plan to preserve biodiversity a decade ago. A new report says they mostly failed.

?m=02&d=20200916&t=2&i=1533680271&w=780&

An aurora is seen in the sky in Rovaniemi, Finland February 6, 2020.REUTERS/Alexander Kuznetsov

Reuters PICTURES - WED SEP 16, 2020 - The surreal Northern Lights

Is it food? -- Bear caught on video nudging sleeping man's foot

Fact check: 9 common myths about ethical and sustainable fashion

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

BB198DVK.img?h=799&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

© RINGO CHIU/AFP via Getty Images

Satellites show smoke from US wildfires reaches Europe

After Hurricane Sally, a Waterlogged Gulf Coast Takes Stock

Yellowstone Volcano Earthquake Swarm Sees 100 Events Recorded in One Day

The sun has started a new solar cycle, experts say -- That can't be good news

800.jpeg

Associated Press journalist Cheyanne Mumphrey opens her planner to the month of September with a cup of hot chocolate in her studio in downtown Phoenix on Sept. 1, 2020. (AP Photo/Cheyanne Mumphrey)

VIRUS DIARY: Alone, craving change, but above all grateful

1000.jpeg

In this Wednesday, Nov. 28, 2018 file photo clouds of smoke are pictured over Europe's largest lignite power plant in Belchatow, central Poland. Government stimulus programs to pull the world out of the coronavirus pandemic offer “a tremendous opportunity” to build a clean-energy economy, former California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger said Thursday, calling on governments not to “invest in the past." Speaking video link from Los Angeles to the Austrian World Summit in Vienna, Schwarzenegger said that “forward-looking decisions” are needed now as trillions are being poured into rebuilding economies around the globe.A group of Greenpeace environment activists have climbed its 180-meter smokestack to spur participants in next week's global climate summit in Poland into taking decisions on limiting the use of coal.(AP Photo/Czarek Sokolowski, file)

BB198lc7.img?h=393&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

Photo by Microsoft News

Safety and ethics worries sidelined a ‘heat ray’ for years. The feds asked about using it on protesters. -- Coming to a neighborhood near you!

1000.jpeg

Stan, one of the largest and most complete Tyrannosaurus rex fossil discovered, is on display, Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2020, at Christie's in New York. The T. rex named after the paleontologist who first found the skeleton's partially unearthed hip bones, will be auction on Oct. 6, 2020 and will be on public view from Sept. 16 - Oct. 21, 2020 to pedestrians through Christie's floor-to- ceiling gallery windows and a limited number of in-gallery viewings by appointment. Stan's head on the display is a casting of the original, which is too heavy for the display. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)

Bones to pick, for $8M: Stan the T rex goes up for auction

The Musk Method: Learn from partners, then go it alone

U.S., China's Cold War Is Raging in Cyberspace, Where Intellectual Property Is A Costly Front

Israel, Bahrain tourism ministers speak, discuss joint ventures with UAE

US charges 5 Chinese citizens in global hacking campaign

Navalny's team says nerve agent used to poison him found on hotel room water bottle

200917114842-qantas-flight-to-nowhere2.j

CNN photo

Qantas offers a seven-hour flight to nowhere

Microclimates: something gardeners can do about the weather

Elvin Bishop finally gets some love from the Country establishment -- Elle King tears me up

ACM Awards 2020: Complete list of winners, best and worst moments

800.jpeg

A worker walks past "Love Is in the Air", a screen print on paper, by British artist Banksy, a day before the unveiling of an exhibition in Rome, Monday, Sept. 7, 2020. The exhibition opens on Sept. 8 and runs until April 11, 2021. (AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino)

Banksy loses EU trademark fight with greeting card company

The best Indian food in the United States? It's in New Jersey

On the trail of the Knights Templar and Holy Grail in western Poland

800.jpeg

In this April 28, 2015 file photo, demonstrators stand in front of a rainbow flag of the Supreme Court in Washington. In 2019, there were slightly less than 1 million same-sex couple households in the U.S., and a majority of those couples were married. New figures released Thursday, Sept. 17, 2020 by the U.S. Census Bureau shows that of the 980,000 same-sex couple households, 58% were married couples and 42% were unmarried partners. (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana, File)

Fewer than 1 million gay couple households in U.S. in 2019

J.K. Rowling Proves Her Commitment to Transphobia in Her New Novel

How Beethoven’s 5th Symphony put the classism in classical music -- Beethoven’s most famous work changed the way we listen, and how we’re supposed to listen.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 5
On 8/24/2020 at 12:31 PM, SweePea59 said:

Can I ask you guys to say a prayer for someone? She's a long time acquaintance, Gail, who is paralyzed from the neck down, due to a motorcycle accident 30-40 years ago, and she just tested positive with covid. As if life isn't hard enough for her and her husband. I'm very concerned about her since she is physically so weak and immune compromised. There's still no way to know who will have a mild reaction and who will pay the ultimate price. So far she has a bad cough, that's why she got tested. I'm just hoping it doesn't get any worse. Thanks.

Update on Gail. She's recovered/ing. Her husband (asymptomatic), who quarantined for two weeks, tested positive twice and then the third time tested negative so he's back at work. And now I hear that you can keep testing positive because the dead cells can stay in your nose for up to six weeks. Sheesh. And yuck.

• Love 7

?m=02&d=20200918&t=2&i=1533930429&w=780&

A tanker drops fire retardant as the Bobcat Fire burns near Juniper Hills, California, September 17, 2020. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni

Reuters PICTURES - THU SEP 17, 2020 - Devastating wildfires ravage West Coast

1000.jpeg

In this Aug. 16, 2020, file photo, lightning forks over the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge as a storm passes over Oakland, Calif. Numerous lightning strikes sparked brush fires throughout the region. (AP Photo/Noah Berger, File)

1000.jpeg

Cars and a motorcycle are underwater as water floods a street, Wednesday, Sept. 16, 2020, in Pensacola, Fla. Hurricane Sally made landfall Wednesday near Gulf Shores, Alabama, as a Category 2 storm, pushing a surge of ocean water onto the coast and dumping torrential rain that forecasters said would cause dangerous flooding from the Florida Panhandle to Mississippi and well inland in the days ahead.(AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)

Rescuers reach people cut off by Gulf Coast hurricane

Mercury released by permafrost thaw puts Yukon River fish at risk: study

The pandemic didn't solve climate change. This week's disasters are proof

Michiganders urged to stay indoors as officials race to stop the spread of a dangerous mosquito-borne disease

Water insecurity causes psychological distress for Americans, study finds

1000.jpeg

Students sit at a distance as a precaution against COVID-19, as they undergo an aptitude test to access the University of Medicine, in Rome Thursday, Sept. 3, 2020. (Cecilia Fabiano/LaPresse via AP)

Hospitals for Years Banked on Lean Staffing. The Pandemic Overwhelmed Them.

Finding meaning in Rosh Hashanah amid a pandemic

UN food chief urges rich to help keep millions from starving

200917122019-01-wisconsin-grad-student-r

CV Vitolo-Haddad has apologized for falsely claiming to be a person of color.

FBI director says antifa is an ideology, not an organization

Federal judge temporarily blocks USPS operational changes amid concerns about mail slowdowns, election

tumblr_nlo6wvFBgy1rzx1ieo1_500.jpg

Milan, Italy/Tutto Vero de Collettivo FX (@CollettivoFX)

How to make sure the census counts you  -- Fill out your census form!

Stop Policing Women’s Bodies: Recording Alcohol Consumption During Pregnancy Is Wrong -- A new proposal being considered by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) suggests that women could have their alcohol consumption recorded during pregnancy. One writer considers this a gross threat to women’s rights...

Missile launch or storm repairs? Flurry of activity fuels speculation of North Korea test

Taiwan scrambles jets as 18 Chinese planes buzz during U.S. visit

Attacks surge in northwest Pakistan as Afghan peace effort brings shifting sands

1000.jpeg

Riot police officers detain a protester during a Belarusian opposition supporters' rally protesting the official presidential election results in Minsk, Belarus, Sunday, Sept. 13, 2020. Protests calling for the Belarusian president's resignation have broken out daily since the Aug. 9 presidential election that officials say handed him a sixth term in office. (AP Photo)

Belarus, backers seek to block speeches at UN rights body

Malaysia's battle against plastic waste spans beaches and city shops

Birds are dropping dead in New Mexico, potentially in the 'hundreds of thousands' -- Scientists are investigating why so many birds are dying and are asking the public for help.

Pope Francis to parents of L.G.B.T. children: ‘God loves your children as they are.’

dentist-hoverboard.jpg?quality=80&strip=

NY Post photo array

An Alaska dentist who extracted a patient's tooth on a hoverboard sentenced to 12 years in jail

Mondo Duplantis breaks Sergey Bubka’s outdoor pole vault world record

Book ‘em; Police find ‘irreplaceable’ tomes stolen in 2017

Russia's space agency chief declares Venus a "Russian planet"

Marketers are gathering data on your kids from the apps they use, study finds

tumblr_mue02bbq9B1qio4tio1_500.jpg

NYC graffiti

Amazon's stock is getting beat by a warehouse chain this year. And it's not Costco

6 Oatmeal Mistakes Making You Fat

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
40 minutes ago, Capricasix said:

Ruth Bader Ginsburg has died.

This doesn’t bode well for the US Supreme Court, does it?

No it does not bode well.

https://news.yahoo.com/mitch-mcconnell-rams-six-trump-151816172.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAA2z_uW5-ixSnhd99dX5HdFDMJ-gYcKMUw5K-vkRs-6Ro7vpMsXCy8WfX59SxbekDuHBjuXnmA7uGpuU3hl_f5piCLy0vqIcvvV2S2fnbgxQfjMgvj12eFnJMix6SDkwoMiTqvoX_FJXKrEEUv2It6abuqs5WtHEAR0Egb9va09T

"Mitch McConnell rams through six Trump judges in 30 hours after blocking coronavirus aid for months"

Looks like they'll ram through another. This really sucks.

Edited by SweePea59
  • Love 1

MEXULAYZSK2HE2TIBVWSA44TMQ.jpg

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg at her chambers in the Supreme Court in Washington D.C., August 23, 2013/Todd Heisler/NYTimes

May Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s Example Be Our Guiding Light

Second woman to sit on the Court.
Fighter for justice and equality.
Defender of our democracy, our freedoms, and our country.

It is our duty, and moral responsibility, to continue her legacy.

Rest in Power, Justice Ginsburg.

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Dies at 87

Ginsburg's Judicial Legacy Marked By Striking Dissents

A tireless advocate for gender equality, she became known as “The Notorious RBG” for her barbed dissents.

Crowds gather at Supreme Court to remember Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg

The Supreme Court’s statement on Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's death

Reaction to the death of Supreme Court Justice Ginsburg

Sen. McConnell Pursues Scorched-Earth Tactics on Ground That is Already Scorched

• Love 2

BB19cevp.img?h=533&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

The wind whips embers from the Joshua trees burned by the Bobcat Fire in Juniper Hills, Calif., Friday, Sept. 18, 2020. (AP Photo/Ringo H.W. Chiu) © Provided by Associated Press 

Homes destroyed after winds push California fire into desert

1000.jpeg

Firefighters rest during a wildfire in Yucaipa, Calif., Saturday, Sept. 5, 2020. Firefighters trying to contain the massive wildfires in Oregon, California and Washington state are constantly on the verge of exhaustion as they try to save suburban houses, including some in their own neighborhoods. (AP Photo/Ringo H.W. Chiu)

Why North Carolina has giant lagoons of pig poop -- Introducing Future Perfect season 3, all about the human cost of factory farming.

We have to accelerate clean energy innovation to curb the climate crisis.  -- A detailed road map for building a US energy innovation ecosystem.

4 signs of coal’s declining economic viability -- Coal is now a loser around the world.

5c09702b496b7c000942cce9-eight.jpg

House of Spirits Liquor Store in Echo Park, Los Angeles, CA (Photo by Thomas Hawk/Flickr CC)

A Massachusetts teenager tested positive for the coronavirus. His parents sent him to school anyway.

200605_vod_floydtimeline_hpMain_16x9_992

ABC News file photo

Death of George Floyd prompts reckoning over race and colonialism in Europe -- Protests inspired by George Floyd's death spread across the world this summer.

Secretaries of state slam DeJoy over election mailer -- The postmaster general spoke with top state election officials on a Thursday call.

Manager ordered census layoffs despite judge’s ruling

Assange was offered presidential pardon to help 'resolve' Russia role in DNC hack, court told -- The WikiLeaks founder was told that speculation about the leak's source was "damaging to U.S.-Russian relations," London's Old Bailey court heard.

Meet the fearless labor activist who coined the positive protest slogan 'Si Se Puede' -- Dolores Huerta worked tirelessly to get basic rights for agricultural laborers.

30th First Annual Ig Nobel Prize Ceremony

brooklyn-street-art-alex-senna-jaime-roj

Bushwick, NYC/mural by Alex Senna 

Chief Justice Roberts’s lifelong crusade against voting rights, explained -- He has fought to undermine voting rights his entire career.

The Falwell's, the pool attendant and the double life that brought them all down

Pentagon sending troops to Syria after clashes between U.S., Russian military -- The troops are meant to discourage Russians from crossing into the eastern area where U.S., coalition, and Syrian Democratic Forces operate, say officials.

Pope Francis seeks to ‘liberate’ Virgin Mary from the Mafia

It’s a Banana. It’s Art. And Now It’s the Guggenheim’s Problem.

'Unfathomable destruction': thousands of rare wildflowers wiped out in Nevada -- About 40% of the Tiehm’s buckwheat population destroyed, amid fierce dispute over proposed lithium and boron mine nearby

Tesla driver found asleep at wheel of self-driving car doing 150km/h -- Man charged after car discovered speeding on Alberta highway. Police say ‘both front seats [were] completely reclined’

When a man heard that farmers were destroying unsold produce, he arranged for trucks to deliver tons of it to food banks

• Love 6

So, as life continues to stress me out, I've taken to immersing myself in television. As I mentioned upthread, I had watched Julie And The Phantoms recently. And I loved it. I binged it twice in two days. And then I bought the soundtrack. It's so cute and it makes me so happy. And I want to discuss it and gush about it with people. So someone please watch it and then discuss the show with me in the Julie And The Phantoms thread. Help make me happy by making yourself happy and watch the show. 

That's all. I love you all. Stay safe. 

• Love 6

6000.jpg?width=1140&quality=85&auto=form

Ricardo Gomez of Cal Fire sets a controlled burn with a drip torch while fighting the Creek fire on 6 September. Photograph: Marcio José Sánchez/AP

The future has arrived. These explosive fires are our climate change wakeup call

?m=02&d=20200918&t=2&i=1534048155&w=780&

A firefighter looks on while defending the Mount Wilson Observatory in the Angeles National Forest during the Bobcat Fire in Los Angeles, California, September 17, 2020.  REUTERS/Ringo Chiu

Reuters PICTURES - FRI SEP 18, 2020 - On the frontlines of the West Coast wildfires

Underwater and on fire: US climate change magnifies extremes

preview.jpg?s=690x

This GOES-16 GeoColor satellite image taken Saturday, Sept. 19, 2020, and provided by NOAA, shows Tropical Storm Beta in the Gulf of Mexico.

Charleston aims to force fossil fuel companies to pay $2bn to combat climate crisis

USDA plans additional $14B for farmers reeling from virus

800.jpeg

In this June 25, 2020 file photo, Carter Sims, 3, of Pine Island, Minn., runs past a mural at the George Floyd memorial outside Cup Foods in Minneapolis. A stretch of a Minneapolis street that includes the place where Floyd was killed will soon be named in his honor. The City Council approved the naming Friday, Sept. 18, and Mayor Jacob Frey’s office said he would likely sign off on it as well. (Leila Navidi/Star Tribune via AP, File)

Minneapolis to name stretch of street for George Floyd

1000.jpeg

People react to being photographed as they sit outside on a street closed to traffic to try to reduce the spread of coronavirus so bars and restaurants can continue to stay open, in the Soho area of central London, Saturday, Sept. 19, 2020. Fresh nationwide lockdown restrictions in England appear to be on the cards soon as the British government targeted more areas Friday in an attempt to suppress a sharp spike in new coronavirus infections. (AP Photo/Matt Dunham)

U.S. Covid-19 death toll surpasses 200,000

90243227_2629881397130946_49121980769003

Coronavirus street art by Angus/Photo courtesy of the artist’s Facebook.

Designers send fabric waste here for a second life

Religious leaders are becoming content creators to keep their followers engaged -- One pastor said he’s embraced a “TED Talk style” for his sermons because he knows that watching online can test people’s focus.

1000.jpeg

Carpenters put the skills of their Medieval colleagues on show on the plaza in front of Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, France, Saturday, Sept. 19, 2020, the day honoring European heritage, by reproducing for the public a section of the elaborate carpentry used when the edifice was built. The elaborate wooden beams went up in flames in a devastating April 2019 fire that also toppled the spire of the cathedral, now being renovated. (AP Photo/Francois Mori)

Carpenters wow public with medieval techniques at Notre Dame

China Sends Warning to Taiwan and U.S. With Big Show of Air Power

U.N. chief says no action on U.N. Iran sanctions due to 'uncertainty'

One family’s desperate, deadly attempt to flee Lebanon

1200px-El_Tres_de_Mayo,_by_Francisco_de_

Francisco Goya, The Third of May, 1808/Museo Nacional del Prado/Madrid, Spain

Goya and the Art of Survival -- In the turbulent Spain of the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, Goya skimmed waves of change that swamped others.

Thai protesters reinstall plaque symbolizing democracy

Elderly protesters defy Belarus’ strongman

South Korea police arrests defector trying to cross back to North Korea

A living rain: How one planetary scientist imagines life on Venus  -- Venus is a blistering-hot planet with a sulfuric acid atmosphere. What could possibly survive there?

42 Jobs That'll Soon Be Lost to Automation

Robert W. Gore, the inventor of Gore-Tex fabric, dead at 83

Lee Kerslake, Drummer for Ozzy Osbourne and Uriah Heep, Dies at 73

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Before Labor Day, Mr. Stunt decided not to host our Halloween parties. We had talked earlier, batting around alternatives, but couldn't come up with one that kept everyone safe and was still fun. Bupkis. 

We chose to take the money we would spend on food, drink, ephemera, and donate it to the county-run food shelf. We'll have a birthday party at the in-law's with the family -- Masked costumes.

MIL Stunt has been very antsy; not allowed outside with the smoke coming out of the San Gabriel Mountain fires, so she volunteered to have the birthday party at their house. Hammer Dracula movie theme -- Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, ripped bodices, and murky dialog ... A howling good time!

Mr. Stunt is helping his mother with the décor -- A juggernaut of Halloween crucifix's/vampire decorations/movie posters/Halloween dishware  have been delivered to be sorted at their house. The Hammer movies will be playing during the party; multiple TV sets have to wired for the movie loop.

He talks excitedly about the party planning, and then it's over. Disappointment. He's not interested in setting up his Department 56 Halloween Snow Village -- No Hell-Bound Train? No Dragula? 

<sniff>

I decorated with sugar skulls, blow-mold lights, tea-stained slipcovers and gauze draperies, vultures and owls and bats and rats, switched out the dishes for Fiesta ghosties, witches, skeletons and pumpkins ... Just to lighten the mood.

Melvin is sedated in his kennel. Fires, smoke, confined indoors and the Halloween turnover has him off his pins.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Before Labor Day, Mr. Stunt decided not to host our Halloween parties. We had talked earlier, batting around alternatives, but couldn't come up with one that kept everyone safe and was still fun. Bupkis. 

We chose to take the money we would spend on food, drink, ephemera, and donate it to the county-run food shelf. We'll have a birthday party at the in-law's with the family -- Masked costumes.

MIL Stunt has been very antsy; not allowed outside with the smoke coming out of the San Gabriel Mountain fires, so she volunteered to have the birthday party at their house. Hammer Dracula movie theme -- Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, ripped bodices, and murky dialog ... A howling good time!

Mr. Stunt is helping his mother with the décor -- A juggernaut of Halloween crucifix's/vampire decorations/movie posters/Halloween dishware  have been delivered to be sorted at their house. The Hammer movies will be playing during the party; multiple TV sets have to wired for the movie loop.

He talks excitedly about the party planning, and then it's over. Disappointment. He's not interested in setting up his Department 56 Halloween Snow Village -- No Hell-Bound Train? No Dragula? 

<sniff>

I decorated with sugar skulls, blow-mold lights, tea-stained slipcovers and gauze draperies, vultures and owls and bats and rats, switched out the dishes for Fiesta ghosties, witches, skeletons and pumpkins ... Just to lighten the mood.

Melvin is sedated in his kennel. Fires, smoke, confined indoors and the Halloween turnover has him off his pins.

I love it! 🕷🕸🎃

• Love 4

1000.jpeg

A Joshua tree is silhouetted in front of the Bobcat Fire at sunset Saturday, Sept. 19, 2020, in Juniper Hills, Calif. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)

California wildfire likely to grow from wind, low humidity

Storm surge and debris already present along Gulf Coast as Tropical Storm Beta takes aim at Texas

Massive damage of rare plants probed at Nevada mine site

200918-covid-ap-773.jpg

Medical personnel use a proning method on a Covid-19 patient in July 2020 at DHR Health in McAllen,Texas/Eric Gay/AP Photo

How Much Are We Paying to Treat Covid-19? -- There’s no way to know … and that’s a problem we should fix.

1000.jpeg

A paramilitary soldier wearing a mask stands guard as the Taj Mahal monument is reopened after being closed for more than six months due to the coronavirus pandemic in Agra, India, Monday, Sept.21, 2020. (AP Photo/Pawan Sharma)

Nebraska man charged in protester’s death dies by suicide

Vive le Tour! With young winner, thrilling race defies virus

1000.jpeg

Pro-democracy student leaders install a plaque declaring "This country belongs to the people" at the Sanam Luang field during a protest in Bangkok, Thailand, Sunday, Sept. 20, 2020. Anti-government demonstrators occupying a historic field in the Thai capital on Sunday installed a plaque symbolizing the country's transition to democracy to replace the original one that was mysteriously ripped and stolen three years ago, as they vowed to press on with calls for new elections and reform of the monarchy. (AP Photo/Sakchai Lalit)

Plaque symbolizing Thai democracy removed in less than a day

Belarus police detain at least 10 protesters in Minsk - TASS

1000.jpeg

Member state flags fly outside the United Nations headquarters, Friday, Sept. 18, 2020, in New York. With the COVID-19 pandemic still circling the globe, world leaders are skipping their annual gathering in New York and will make pre-recorded speeches this week on the state of a deeply divided world turned topsy-turvy. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)

Born to prevent war, UN at 75 faces deeply polarized world

Ex-UK cyber chief warns of Chinese data grab -- Ciaran Martin on Huawei, TikTok and the real danger facing Europe.

AP sources: Woman accused of sending ricin letter arrested

1000.jpeg

In this photo released by the U.S. Air Force, Capt. Ryan Vickers stands for a photo to display his new service tapes after taking his oath of office to transfer from the U.S. Air Force to the U.S. Space Force at Al-Udeid Air Base, Qatar, Tuesday, Sept. 1, 2020. Space Force, the first new U.S. military service since the creation of the Air Force in 1947, now has some 20 members stationed at Qatar's Al-Udeid Air Base in its first foreign deployment. (Staff Sgt. Kayla White/U.S. Air Force via AP)

US Space Force deploys to vast new frontier: Arabian Desert-- In tactical camouflage ...

Taiwan president says drills show China is threat to whole region

Reopening the art world in a time of COVID

Fashioning a new future for the fashion world

World's biggest banks enabled litany of financial crimes, leaked documents reveal -- Banks such as JPMorgan Chase, HSBC, and Deutsche Bank facilitated the movement of criminal money even after getting caught, the agency reported.

Mexican archaeologists identify the first Mayan slave ship to have ever been discovered

Why Coke Tastes Better in a Glass Bottle

1000.jpeg

In this video grab captured on Sept. 20, 2020, courtesy of the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences and ABC Entertainment, Catherine O'Hara accepts the award for outstanding lead actress in a comedy series for "Schitt's Creek" during the 72nd Emmy Awards broadcast. (The Television Academy and ABC Entertainment via AP)

Emmys 2020 winners list: See who took home an award

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I love it! 🕷🕸🎃

We found a full set of tails for Mr.Stunt at the Rose Bowl Flea Market a couple of years ago, and I have a floor-length cape, lined in red satin; satin is Dracula's preferred fabric. Fangs, sepulchral makeup, morose demeanor, unidentifiable Russo-Slavic accent, insatiable thirst ... Check. 

I've got my Morticia Adams/Victorian-style black gown, with a pearl choker, dripping with red teardrop crystals strung with monofilament. A couple of hairpieces, too many false eyelashes/smoky eyes, and granny boots ... Decidedly mesmerized by the Prince of Darkness. 

Thing 1 is going as Brünnhilde, Marvel comics Valkyrie. I have a winged helmet and breastplate from an earlier Halloween, elaborate leather jacket and leggings, and a borrowed sword (cousin is on the UCLA fencing team).

Thing 2 is going as Bob Woodward ... Don't ask. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
4 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

We found a full set of tails for Mr.Stunt at the Rose Bowl Flea Market a couple of years ago, and I have a floor-length cape, lined in red satin; satin is Dracula's preferred fabric. Fangs, sepulchral makeup, morose demeanor, unidentifiable Russo-Slavic accent, insatiable thirst ... Check. 

I've got my Morticia Adams/Victorian-style black gown, with a pearl choker, dripping with red teardrop crystals strung with monofilament. A couple of hairpieces, too many false eyelashes/smoky eyes, and granny boots ... Decidedly mesmerized by the Prince of Darkness. 

Thing 1 is going as Brünnhilde, Marvel comics Valkyrie. I have a winged helmet and breastplate from an earlier Halloween, elaborate leather jacket and leggings, and a borrowed sword (cousin is on the UCLA fencing team).

Thing 2 is going as Bob Woodward ... Don't ask. 

Oh, pictures! Please?

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

il_570xN.1594439658_jqda.jpg

For Women, the Death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg Brings a Particular Grief

Remembering RBG, a woman who lived a life defying expectations

The Surprising Conservatism of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg -- The late Supreme Court justice often deployed classically conservative reasoning, sometimes in service of progressive causes.

1000.jpeg

In this Oct. 29, 2015, photo provided by The Lower Eastside Girls Club, members of the club pose with author Shana Knizhnik, second from right, at a book launch event for "Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg," by Irin Carmon and Knizhnik, in New York. Younger women and girls say they were inspired by the late justice's achievements, her intellect and her fierce determination as she pursued her career. (Allana Clarke/The Lower Eastside Girls Club via AP)

Justice Ginsburg’s impact on women spanned age groups, backgrounds

Ruth Bader Ginsburg Opens Up About #MeToo, Voting Rights, and Millennials -- The Supreme Court justice talks about sexual harassment, gender discrimination, and the cases she’d like to see overturned.

How RBG Made Old Age Look Cool -- She embraced late-life hipster iconhood. But did it make her feel too invincible?

The Ruth Bader Ginsburg Fandom Was Never Frivolous -- The kitschy celebrations of the justice have always insisted, in their way, that the personal is judicial.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s legacy, and the future of the Supreme Court, explained -- Ginsburg’s death places her entire legacy in danger.

What Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s Death Means for America -- The Supreme Court vacancy will surely inflame an already-angry nation.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

There was a moron on Dr Phil saying that Covid deaths were Over Reported? It could be doubled because like the local fire chief (healthy - middle aged) who survived covid handily only to die from a blood clots weeks later. He got looked into BUT how many mild or no symptom young or middle-aged people die from blood clots or whatever and are never autopsied and just written off as heart attacks, strokes, and never checked for Covid.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

fall-season-crop_full_width.jpg

Farmer's Almanac phot0

AUTUMNAL EQUINOX 2020: THE FIRST DAY OF FALL -- FACTS & FOLKLORE ABOUT THE FALL EQUINOX

200918212858-01-colleges-universities-re

Fans in the student section are pictured before an NCAA college football game between Missouri State and Oklahoma/CNN Photo

Scientists say the coronavirus is airborne. Here’s what that means. -- The CDC said aerosols and small droplets were the “main way” the virus spreads. Then it retracted that guidance.

"We can't be silent any longer . . . ."

Where to Get Cheap Flu Shots: Walmart vs. CVS vs. Costco and More -- We've got public health nurses coming in to offices to administer flu vaccinations, giving flu vaccination cash cards for local drug stores or 100% insurance reimbursement for employees and their significant others.

2020 Creative Arts Emmy Outstanding Commercial winner

The difficult choice about hiring a tutor for your children

Young Afghan women, men perform whirling Sufi dance together

AP20251213099325-822x548.jpg

The Creek Fire burns in the Sierra National Forest, near Big Creek, Calif. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)

The Climate Crisis Is Happening Right Now. Just Look at California’s Weekend. -- Record high temperatures. Record fires. Record smoke. ProPublica reporter Elizabeth Weil spoke to former California Gov. Jerry Brown about the state’s converging apocalypses.

?m=02&d=20200922&t=2&i=1534455117&w=780&

The skeleton of a manufactured home park after a wildfire came through the area in Talent, Oregon, September 21. REUTERS/Jim Urquhart

Reuters PICTURES - TUE SEP 22, 2020 - Fires leave apocalyptic scenes in Oregon

Tropical Storm Beta makes landfall in Texas late Monday night

pagetop-lg.jpg

CNN Photography by Sarah Tilotta, Codie McLachlan and Brian Cassey

Noam Chomsky’s Green New Deal -- A chat about his new book with co-author Robert Pollin.

To achieve racial justice, America’s broken democracy must be fixed -- Why 30 Black- and brown-led organizations are coming together to demand bold democracy reform

UN diplomacy goes impersonal, but what’s lost along the way? -- That what's wrong with the U.N.?

Exclusive: U.S. and UAE eye December goal to agree on F-35 deal -- All the better to bomb you with, my dear.

200922105316-plaaf-video-still-card-exla

PLAAF aircraft are shown in a still from a video released Saturday that appears to depict an attack on a US Air Force base on Guam.

Chinese air force propaganda video appears to use Hollywood movie clips

More US troops are heading to Syria -- About 100 US service members are going to northeast Syria to defend against Russian aggression.

“It’s kinda like a first date”: How to make the most of starting a new job remotely -- The new normal requires more work, patience, and good humor — from both new hires and the companies bringing them on.

25 Ikea Products to Buy, and 25 to Skip

1000.jpeg

Pilot whales lie stranded on a sand bar near Strahan, Australia, Monday, Sept. 21, 2020. An estimated 250 whales are stuck on sandy shoals and government marine conservation staff have been deployed to the scene to attempt to rescue the whales. (Brodie Weeding/Pool Photo via AP)

Whale swims free of Australian river as 270 are stranded

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 5

Happy Mabon, everybody!  I hope the season is kind to us all.

"I Fooled Around and Fell in Love" has been running on a loop in my head for several days now.  No, I'm not complaining.  I always appreciate Cupid's eclectic taste in music! 

• Love 6
58 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

Happy Mabon, everybody!  I hope the season is kind to us all.

"I Fooled Around and Fell in Love" has been running on a loop in my head for several days now.  No, I'm not complaining.  I always appreciate Cupid's eclectic taste in music! 

Happy Mabon to you, too, Snaporaz!

• Love 5

de5dc1b87e212f7bf4efec3f70268a09

Photo RINGO CHIU/Credit: REUTERS

California firefighters make stand to save famed observatory, homes

200915-hurricane-sally-mc-1141_de7fc07f5

A satellite photo taken Sept. 15 shows, from left, Hurricane Sally over the Gulf of Mexico, Hurricane Paulette over Bermuda, the remnants of Tropical Storm Rene and tropical storms Teddy and Vicky.NOAA / AP

Beta drenching Texas and Louisiana with heavy rain as significant flooding occurs in Houston

2020-09-22T142142Z_1_LYNXNPEG8L1AB_RTROP

A nearly deserted Church Street in the financial district in lower Manhattan is seen during the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in New York City, New York, U.S., April 3, 2020. REUTERS/Mike Segar

FDA poised to announce tougher standards for a covid-19 vaccine that make it unlikely one will be cleared by November

If the Supreme Court Ends Obamacare, Here’s What It Would Mean

Second judge rules against USPS, says election mail must be prioritized

With 95% homes hit, feds say no need for census extension -- Over 3.2 million people not counted.

Savanna's Act, a bipartisan bill to address 'tragic issue' of missing and murdered Native Americans, passes US House

In secret tapes, mine executives detail their sway over leaders from Juneau to the White House

200921192110-horse-on-highway-arrest-exl

The "Dreadhead Cowboy" is seen on the Dan Ryan Expressway in Chicago/CNN Photo

How a debate over police funding escalated in Norman, Oklahoma — and divided the town

200921154813-ruth-st-nyc-subway-exlarge-

A subtle tribute to Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg seen in a New York City 50th Street subway stop/CNN Photo

NYC subway station signs altered in tribute to Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg

NYPD officer, an Army reservist, worked as spy for China, federal prosecutors allege

Lebanon Hit By Another Explosion As Insecurity Haunts Country Besieged by Crises

Kremlin critic Navalny discharged from Berlin hospital

1000.jpeg

Protesters with old Belarusian national flags march during an opposition rally to protest the official presidential election results in Minsk, Belarus, Sunday, Sept. 20, 2020. Protests calling for the authoritarian president's resignation broke out after an Aug. 9 election that officials say gave him a sixth term in office and that opponents say was rigged. (AP Photo/TUT.by)

Lukashenko abruptly sworn in for new presidential term in Belarus

An entire village lost its broadband at the same time every day for 18 months. Now we know why

Renovated Lizzie Borden house on the market, again

161208121636-dinosaur-amber-2-super-169.

The discovery of a dinosaur tail entombed in amber at a market in Myanmar near the Chinese border grabbed headlines in 2016./CNN Photo

'Blood amber' may be a portal into dinosaur times, but the fossils are an ethical minefield for palaeontologists

State auditor: UC wrongly admitted well-connected students

Reese's is putting pretzels in peanut butter cups, because 'the hell with it, it's 2020' -- Stop!

2730399945_ce6c4a9065.jpg?v=0

If Spock and Marilyn Monroe Had A Love Child by Mr. Brainwash/Franklin Avenue, Los Angeles, California

Ellen DeGeneres Jokingly Tells Her Staff 'Please Don't Look Me in the Eye' as She Returns to Show

Operation targeting Darknet drug traffickers nets dozens of arrest worldwide, officials say

0_Autumn-sun-shining-through-tree-canopy

Daily Star file photo

Fall foliage 2020: Map shows where you can expect to see peak fall colors in the US

Sherpa guide who climbed Everest 10 times cremated in Nepal

And found infamy -- Lennon’s killer says he sought glory, deserved death penalty

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

7952.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

Protesters carry an effigy of Breonna Taylor during a demonstration in Los Angeles on Wednesday night. Photograph: Kyle Grillot/EPA

Breonna Taylor decision sparks protests across the US

1000.jpeg

Police move after a Louisville Police officer was shot, Wednesday, Sept. 23, 2020, in Louisville, Ky. A grand jury has indicted one officer on criminal charges six months after Breonna Taylor was fatally shot by police in Kentucky. The jury presented its decision against fired officer Brett Hankison Wednesday to a judge in Louisville, where the shooting took place. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)

?m=02&d=20200924&t=2&i=1534692419&w=780&

People participate during a march following the announcement of a single indictment in the Breonna Taylor case, in Manhattan, New York, September 23, 2020.  REUTERS/Jeenah Moon

BB19m7Yl.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

© Jeff Swensen for The New York Times

Secret, powerful panels will pick Covid-19 vaccine winners -- Data and safety monitoring boards work under a cloak of secrecy meant to prevent undue influence. In the Trump era, some worry the anonymity could actually invite it.

A healthy sex life boosts long-term survival hopes for heart attack victims

BB19mNa4.img?h=533&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

Remains of a mobile home are seen after a wildfire sweep through an R.V. park destroying multiple homes in Estacada, Oregon September 12, 2020. - US officials girded today for the possibility of mass fatalities from raging wildfires up and down the West Coast, as evacuees recounted the pain of leaving everything behind in the face of fast-moving flames. Dense smog from US wildfires that have burnt nearly five million acres and killed 27 people smothered the West Coast on September 12. (Photo by ROBYN BECK/AFP via Getty Images)

Pattern change to bring fire relief to some, worsen conditions for others in West

1000.jpeg

This photo provided by the family via the U.S. Forest Service shows Charles Morton, a squad boss with the Big Bear Interagency Hotshot Crew of the San Bernardino National Forest, in San Bernardino, Calif. Morton died Sept. 17, 2020, in San Bernardino National Forest as crews battled the El Dorado Fire about 75 miles (120 kilometers) east of Los Angeles, the U.S. Forest Service said in a statement. (Family Photo/Courtesy of U.S. Forest Service via AP)

1000.jpeg

The flag-draped casket of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, carried by Supreme Court police officers, arrives in the Great Hall at the Supreme Court in Washington, Wednesday, Sept. 23, 2020. Ginsburg, 87, died of cancer on Sept. 18. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, Pool)

Long lines of mourners pay respects to Justice Ginsburg at court

DNA evidence helps convict man of killing two women in one of Australia's most notorious cold cases

87.jpg

“The illusion of safety. The unfamiliarity of freedom.”/Parisian graffiti

Israel’s Netanyahu brings his dirty laundry to Washington. Literally.

The EU says Lukashenko is not the legitimate Belarus president

Westpac, one of Australia's largest banks, hit with record $920 million penalty over money laundering scandal

1000.jpeg

In this Aug. 4, 2020 file photo, Hoda Kinno, 11, is evacuated by her uncle Mustafa, in the aftermath of a massive explosion at the port in Beirut, Lebanon. The Kinno family from Syria's Aleppo region was devastated in the wake of the explosion -- Hoda suffered a broken neck and other injuries and her sister Sedra, 15, died in the explosion. (AP Photo/Hassan Ammar, File)

‘The port came to us’: Story behind AP photo of Beirut blast

Probe of gang rape case that shocked Egypt ensnares many

Amnesty International: Migrants face ‘vicious cycle of cruelty’ in Libya

Facebook's Oversight Board plans to launch before November

2000.jpeg

(AP Photo/Binsar Bakkara)

Palm oil labor abuses linked to world’s top brands, banks

Australian rescuers save 70 stranded whales after 380 die -- Pilot whales have strong social ties and even if only a few members of a pod veer off course, the others often follow.

A newly discovered asteroid will pass close to Earth on Thursday

Why passenger jets could soon be flying in formation

200924125250-botticelli-young-man-rounde6220c4c9f5449d9d2df4019fa8b8e7f9

"Young Man Holding a Roundel" by Renaissance painter Sandro Botticelli

One of the last privately-owned Botticelli portraits could sell for over $80M

• Love 6

aptopix-racial-injustice-breonna-taylor-

Police and protesters converge during a demonstration after a decision by a grand jury in the police shooting death of Breonna Taylor, in Louisville, Kentucky, Sept. 23, 2020./AP photo

Say Her Name! -- Protesters demand justice after police officers aren’t charged with killing Breonna Taylor

1000.jpeg

Protesters march, Thursday, Sept. 24, 2020, in Louisville, Ky. Authorities pleaded for calm while activists vowed to fight on Thursday in Kentucky's largest city, where a gunman wounded two police officers during anguished protests following the decision not to charge officers for killing Breonna Taylor. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)

The Teflon Robe -- Judges propose making disclosure of their personal details a crime

I hate all the people you hate -- Troubled Blood sees J.K. Rowling at the mercy of all her worst impulses

Margaret Atwood, the Prophet of Dystopia

Youth leaders working to build a more perfect union one project at a time

Judge says 2020 census must continue for another month

DeJoy Tells Judge Mail-Sorting Machines Can’t Be Reassembled -- USPS asks that order undoing service changes be modified

The Astroturf organization behind QAnon -- Experts and researchers said the key to "Q" is hiding in plain sight.

GettyImages_1228668326.0.jpg

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, testifies at a hearing on September 23 in Washington, DC/ Alex Edelman/Getty Images

The country’s top infectious disease expert talks with Vox on Covid-19 science and the case for trusting a vaccine.

Around 870,000 people filed for first-time unemployment benefits last week

Coldest weather of the season to dive into eastern U.S. next week as fall colors begin to burst

?m=02&d=20200924&t=2&i=1534822366&r=LYNX

Firefighters work at the site of the Bobcat Fire burning near Mount Wilson in the Angeles National Forest, near Los Angeles, U.S., September 23, 2020. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni

Firefighters wrest control over half of massive California wildfire

Groups decry proposal to roll back Alaska forest protections

Over 360 more detained in Belarus in protests against leader

UAE, Israeli cyber chiefs discuss joining forces to combat common threats -- All the better to spy on you, my dear.

Australian think tank finds 380 detention camps in Xinjiang

New Zealand divided over historic marijuana vote

Sculpture of John Paul II with rock, red water makes waves

1000.jpeg

In this Sept. 8, 1974, file photo, Evel Knievel sits in the steam-powered rocket motorcycle that will hopefully take him across Snake River Canyon in Twin Falls, Idaho. Evel Knievel’s son is on a collision course with the Walt Disney Co. and Pixar over a movie daredevil character named Duke Caboom. A federal trademark infringement lawsuit filed Tuesday, Sept. 22, 2020, in Las Vegas accuses the moviemaker of improperly basing the “Toy Story 4” character on Knievel. (AP Photo, File)

Evel Knievel’s son suing Disney over ‘Toy Story 4’ character

Hacked software provider won’t say if ransomware involved

3 accused of creating man cave under Grand Central Terminal

1000.jpeg

A couple look at the "Lennon Wall" with a face mask attached to the image of John Lennon, in Prague, Czech Republic, on April 6, 2020. Like so many other events in the year of coronavirus, an annual tribute to John Lennon held in its adopted city of New York will go online. The five-hour event will be streamed for free on Lennon's birthday, October 9, starting at 7 p.m. Eastern time on the LennonTribute.org website. It will feature recorded performances from Patti Smith, Rosanne Cash, Natalie Merchant, Jackson Browne, Jorma Kaukonen and others. (AP Photo/Petr David Josek)

Annual Lennon tribute, in 40th year, goes online

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Son #1 and DIL now have to quarantine after she was exposed to Covid by a student in her program at a college in Toronto. This student broke quarantine to come to the school, UNMASKED, to pick up a kit for the program. Supposedly the co- ordinator was aware this kid was positive but let it happen. DIL has to quarantine until she gets tested and has a negative. She’s getting tested on Monday. They live in a one bedroom apartment so he has to quarantine with her unless he moves into the shed. They are both so pissed off because they were finally coming to visit this weekend for the first time since Christmas. 🤬
At least they found out before they came instead of after. Small mercies et all. SIGH ☹️ 

5000.jpg?width=1140&quality=85&auto=form

A protester kneels with fist raised, in front of officers in Washington DC, in August. Photograph: RMV/REX/Shutterstock

Why Didn't We Riot? On being a Black man

1000.jpeg

Rose Henderson helps out at a booth in Jefferson Square Park, Thursday, Sept. 24, 2020, in Louisville, Ky. A grand jury has indicted one officer on criminal charges six months after Breonna Taylor was fatally shot by police in Kentucky. The jury presented its decision against fired officer Brett Hankison Wednesday to a judge in Louisville, where the shooting took place. (AP Photo/Darron Cummings)

1000.jpeg

Attendees wearing face masks to protect against the coronavirus watch a presentation by auto maker Geely at the Beijing International Automotive Exhibition, also known as Auto China, in Beijing, Saturday, Sept. 26, 2020. Auto China 2020, postponed from March, is the first major trade show for any industry since the pandemic began as automakers are looking to China, the first major economy to start recovering from the coronavirus pandemic, to drive sales growth and reverse multibillion-dollar losses. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

Experts are warning of a coming surge of Covid-19 cases in US

1000.jpeg

In this July 25, 2020 photo provided by Rick Everett, a small table decorated with succulents sits below a window where Everett offers free coffee and conversation to friends and neighbors at his home in Sydney, Australia, during the coronavirus pandemic. (Rick Everett via AP)

3000.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

Flames near Highway 162 as the Bear Fire burns in Oroville, California. Photograph: Noah Berger/AP

California fires: local groups fill in gaps as Black and Latino communities are left to prepare on their own

c823c25e-ae71-4edf-91a9-0283a9953966.jpg

Denyce Graves sings as U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's flag-draped casket rests on the Lincoln catafalque in Statuary Hall as she lies in state at the U.S. Capitol on September 25 in Washington, DC. Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg lies in state at US Capitol

Post office defends on claims that cuts threaten election

Federal judge removes acting Bureau of Land Management director after finding he has served unlawfully for 424 days

Solicitation charges dropped against New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft -- Tsk tsk ... So much incriminating evidence and not admissible in court. Will the masseuses have their charges dropped? 

1000.jpeg

This image shows a recipe for cheesy ground beef quesadillas. More people are cooking at home these days, and when they do eat restaurant food, they’re often looking for comfort food, experts say. Other trends include simpler recipes, recipes with fewer ingredients, one-pot meals, sheet-pan meals, finger food and pantry-ingredient recipes, all up significantly year over year. (Cheyenne M. Cohen/Katie Workman via AP)

FDA must do more to regulate thousands of chemicals added to your food, petitioners say

14 Signs You're Getting Scammed While Shopping Online

Less razzmatazz, but Nobel Prizes go ahead amid pandemic

Wikipedia due to get its first substantial website redesign in a decade

Germany's ex-royals want their riches back, but past ties to Hitler stand in the way

the-wall-bethlehem.jpg?w=918&h=538&crop=

Graffiti on Bethlehem side of Israeli West Bank barrier wall/photo by Norwich Radical

Lebanon's prime minister-designate steps down in blow to French initiative

800.jpeg

In this Dec. 31, 2016 file photo, the sun rises over the city skyline with the Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest building, on a foggy day in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Dubai is tapping the global financial market to potentially raise billions of dollars for the first time in years. That's according to a bond prospectus seen on Tuesday, Sept. 1, 2020, by The Associated Press. It reveals the deepening toll of the coronavirus pandemic on Dubai's economy. (AP Photo/Kamran Jebreili, File)

Sir Harold Evans 1928–2020 -- He set the world's gold standard for journalism in the public interest, exposing deadly corporate secrets and the spy scandal of the century. His peers reveal his formula: tenacity, cunning, attention to the little details, and a boundless heart. A giant on Fleet Street and beyond, Harold Evans was 92.

Volkswagen_Beetle_1950-1979.max-784x410.

1956 Volkswagen Beetle 

22 Most Popular Volkswagens of All Time

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Well, Preverts, your good vibes and prayers worked wonders.  I had my surgery on Thursday and it went very well.  I think I can say I am cancer free at this point.  Thank you, thank you, thank you! 

And get your mammograms 😉 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, MollyB said:

Well, Preverts, your good vibes and prayers worked wonders.  I had my surgery on Thursday and it went very well.  I think I can say I am cancer free at this point.  Thank you, thank you, thank you! 

MollyB, that's the BEST news, the absolute best!  

I'm so happy for you.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, MollyB said:

Hurray! 🎆🎉💞 So glad, MollyB!!

• Love 9

O Lord God, the Life and strength of all that put their hope in You, Whose mercies are infinite, we give thanks to You for the blessings which You have bestowed upon Your servant Molly. We humbly ask You to continue Your goodness toward us, and as You have been pleased to guide Your servant to bodily health, so do You grant her soul with perseverance in faith in You, and prepare us by Your blessings in this life. You are due all glory, and honor Eternal Father, both now and ever, and to the ages of ages. Amen.

• Love 7

800.jpeg

This February 2018 photo provided by the University of Maryland School of Public Health shows The Gesundheit II machine in Dr. Donald Milton's Public Health Aerobiology, Virology, and Exhaled Biomarker Laboratory of the university in College Park, Md. The device is helping scientists study a big question: Just how does the virus that causes COVID-19 spread from one person to another? (University of Maryland School of Public Health via AP)

Tiny airborne particles may pose a big coronavirus problem

1000.jpeg

In this Saturday, July 22, 2017, file photo, a polar bear stands on the ice in the Franklin Strait in the Canadian Arctic Archipelago. In a year of cataclysm, some world leaders at September 2020's annual United Nations meeting are taking the long view, warning: If COVID-19 doesn't kill us, climate change will. With Siberia seeing its warmest temperature on record this year and enormous chunks of ice caps in Greenland and Canada sliding into the sea, countries are acutely aware there's no vaccine for global warming. (AP Photo/David Goldman, File)

Leaders to UN: If virus doesn’t kill us, climate change will

200926182331-01-baby-yoda-kitten-califor

CNN Photo

A kitten that looks like Baby Yoda was rescued from a California wildfire

1000.jpeg

A woman speaks during a protest, Wednesday, Sept. 23, 2020, in Louisville, Ky. A grand jury has indicted one officer on criminal charges six months after Breonna Taylor was fatally shot by police in Kentucky. Protests against racial injustice aren't just part of the United States' national conversation. America's foes have taken note too, using the demonstrations and images of police violence to criticize the country at the U.N. General Assembly this year. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)

The controversy over qualified immunity

1000.jpeg

A police officer tries to take away an old Belarusian national flag from Nina Bahinskaya's hands during an opposition rally to protest the official presidential election results in Minsk, Belarus, Saturday, Sept. 26, 2020. Hundreds of thousands of Belarusians have been protesting daily since the Aug. 9 presidential election. (AP Photo/TUT.by)

UN: Yemen’s warring sides to swap more than 1,000 prisoners

2000.jpeg

(AP Photo/Petros Giannakouris)

Greece cannot shelter refugees alone. Europe must help

Amazon’s surveillance cameras fly now — which is unsettling

A 72-year-old woman was quietly living in a dilapidated house. Then an electrician sparked a community to help her rebuild

Bank manager finds 9.07-carat diamond in Arkansas state park

AS-LandmarkBuffet-KeyFeatures-640x356.jp

Landmark Restaurant File Photo

50 Things to Pick Up at the Grocery Store This Fall

1000.jpeg

Mercedes driver Valtteri Bottas of Finland, right and Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain steer their cars during the Russian Formula One Grand Prix, at the Sochi Autodrom circuit, in Sochi, Russia, Sunday, Sept. 27, 2020. (Bryn Lennon, Pool via AP)

Bottas wins in Russia as Hamilton misses F1 win record

Substance over the banal -- Sir David Attenborough breaks Jennifer Aniston's Instagram record

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 7