Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, Capricasix said:

Pearlite and any other movie aficionados! I am currently obsessed with The Mandalorian, and it being styled as a “space Western”, I now want to watch the movies that define the genre. Just finished watching The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - what should be next on my list?

The Professionals. 1966.  and of course, The Magnificent Seven. 1960.  Love me some Yul Brynner.

Edited by MollyB
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, Capricasix said:

Pearlite and any other movie aficionados! I am currently obsessed with The Mandalorian, and it being styled as a “space Western”, I now want to watch the movies that define the genre. Just finished watching The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - what should be next on my list?

Westerns aren't really my thing, but here are a few I like:

1. The Magnificent Seven [1960] - I'll watch anything with James Coburn & you get the Kurosawa thing as a bonus
  2. Johnny Guitar [1954] - truly perverse item--most Nicholas Ray things are--around the house, we still say, "I'm comin' up, Vienna"
  3. High Noon [1952] - aging Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly
  4. The Searchers [1956] - I'm no fan of John Ford [a heretical statement right there] or of Duke Wayne, but I've taught elements of it over the years so...
  5. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance [1962] - give it a go -- again, for us anything with Lee Marvin is okay
  6. The Quick and the Dead [1995] Sam Raimi item, and worth a watch for all the borrowings

That's about what I've got today. Not an Eastwood fan, and the better Spaghetti Westerns have already been mentioned.

Happy New Year!

• Love 6

When watching Spaghetti Westerns, it is fun to count how many times the travelers pass by the same rock formation and to note which ones appear in several films. And to look for contrails in the sky (there is a noticeable one in Little Big Man).

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, deirdra said:

When watching Spaghetti Westerns, it is fun to count how many times the travelers pass by the same rock formation and to note which ones appear in several films. 

Ah yes, the old Hanna-Barbera repeating backround trick.

RIP Dawn Wells (aka Mary Ann on Gilligan's Island) another loss to Covid.

image.png.b7a9c3795933dabd6c8ec80059bcfffc.png

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Huge fan of Sergio Leone's Man With No Name trilogy, but Leone's unsung Once Upon a Time in the West is excellent film, too. Loads of tension and a slow build, Henry Fonda as the bad guy, the delicious Claudia Cardinale and simmering Charles Bronson -- You can't go wrong.

I love Sergio Leone's westerns, especially the standoff scenes with closeups of the guys staring each other down.  That seems to happen in all of his movies.  I love the music, too.  I call them Western Operas.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

That’s OK, I don’t get the History channel anyway! I rented it on iTunes for two bucks 👍🏼

23 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I love Sergio Leone's westerns, especially the standoff scenes with closeups of the guys staring each other down.  That seems to happen in all of his movies.  I love the music, too.  I call them Western Operas.  

Oh, the one at the end of TGTBaTU was really good. Even though Angel Eyes was the Bad, I kind of liked him 😄

• Love 5

201231083122-06-new-years-celebration-12

Fireworks explode over the Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge to ring in 2021. One million people would usually crowd the Sydney Harbor to watch the annual fireworks that center on the Sydney Harbour Bridge. But this year authorities advised revelers to watch the fireworks on television.

Follow the New Year around the world

Why Getting Drunk and Making Resolutions on New Year's Are Profoundly Religious Acts

original.jpg

Reuters file photo

New Year’s Resolutions That Will Actually Lead to Happiness ... And we're all for that!

d025e8c5f0550ddf85c770b4cbc6d64f.jpg

We're having dinner with SIL Stunt and the Things:

Shrimp cocktail

Antipasto plate

Peaches' Onion dip and Ruffles

Grilled duck breast, on a spinach, carrot and farro salad

Corn fritters

Sticky toffee pudding, with Crème Anglaise

Millionaire shortbread

Pinot Noir

Champagne

31955_screw-top-300x388.jpg 

In the new year, may your right hand always be stretched out in friendship, but never in want. Happy New Year!

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

201231083122-06-new-years-celebration-12

Fireworks explode over the Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge to ring in 2021. One million people would usually crowd the Sydney Harbor to watch the annual fireworks that center on the Sydney Harbour Bridge. But this year authorities advised revelers to watch the fireworks on television.

Follow the New Year around the world

Why Getting Drunk and Making Resolutions on New Year's Are Profoundly Religious Acts

original.jpg

Reuters file photo

New Year’s Resolutions That Will Actually Lead to Happiness ... And we're all for that!

d025e8c5f0550ddf85c770b4cbc6d64f.jpg

We're having dinner with SIL Stunt and the Things:

Shrimp cocktail

Antipasto plate

Peaches' Onion dip and Ruffles

Grilled duck breast, on a spinach, carrot and farro salad

Corn fritters

Sticky toffee pudding, with Crème Anglaise

Millionaire shortbread

Pinot Noir

Champagne

31955_screw-top-300x388.jpg 

In the new year, may your right hand always be stretched out in friendship, but never in want. Happy New Year!

Hey Cupid...um was my invitation lost in the mail? That sounds so delicious!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Hey Cupid...um was my invitation lost in the mail? That sounds so delicious!

Los Angeles is locked down, and we're observing social distancing, more's the pity. We were hoping for a small party for the New Year, but the state went Covid-19 ballistic.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't boes birthday on or about New Year's Eve?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Well hells bells!  It’s a New Year!  2020 was a weird one, but in all honesty probably not my worst one.  

I love my kid but I’ve had way to much time with him.  I like my job, but I don’t like my job in my house.  I made more money this year than I ever have, I am so blessed, but I worked my ass off.  I lost so much quality PTO (I hate burning this shit to sit on my ass at home). At the end of the day I’m here and my kid is here and my parents are still kicking. 

We had a wild and crazy NYE with beer cheese meatballs and pickle roll ups.  Champagne and kid wine and a mean many rounds of Trouble and Checkers (both games that Santa brought).

🏼🥰

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Close enough - 12/29.  Thank you for remembering, Cupid Stunt.  It was a nice, normal day in this abnormal year.

Happy New Year you all and may our next New Year be so much better!

Edited by boes
  • Love 9
9 minutes ago, boes said:

Close enough - 12/29.  Thank you for remembering, Cupid Stunt.  It was a nice, normal day in this abnormal year.

Happy belated, Boesy! And Happy New Year to Preverts, one and all!🥂

• Love 8

img_0015.gif

The 'clink clink' of your New Year's Eve toast has an icy backstory

BB1b8olB.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

Anurak Jeantawanich, 52, pushes against police officers during an anti-government protest in Bangkok, Thailand, October 16, 2020. "I could sense danger coming," said Jeantawanich. "I looked each of them in the eye and told them not to come any closer, that there were a lot of young students and girls here." REUTERS/Jorge Silva

Reuters PICTURES - THU DEC 24, 2020 - Pictures of the year 2020

Wiser resolutions? Lessons from COVID's unfulfilled ones

header.jpg

Noretorp Noretsyh, a poem by Kenneth Rexroth, Painted across rooftops of the world

The U.S. reaches 20 million coronavirus cases.

BB1co9Tf.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

A hospital worker peers inside a tent connected to a refrigerated trailer set up as a morgue outside Lenox Health Greenwich Village in Manhattan in March. Recorded cases of the virus are climbing unabated around the country/© Todd Heisler/The New York Times 

Once a model, California now struggles to tame COVID-19

Wisconsin hospital worker arrested for spoiled vaccine doses

1000.jpeg

Kursten Hedgis walks her dog Bitsy in front of her home Dec. 9, 2020, in Decatur, Ga. Hedgis says Bisty's behavior changed when Hedgis began working from home early in 2020 because of the new coronavirus pandemic. (AP Photo/Ron Harris)

Changes, challenges: The not-so-secret life of pandemic pets

Stories from a Lost Year

2020 had some significant silver linings.

Race to vaccinate millions in US off to slow, messy start

1.jpg

Something to look forward to ... Drugmakers to hike prices for 2021 as pandemic, political pressure put revenues at risk

?m=02&d=20201229&t=2&i=1546073844&w=780&

Protesters covering their faces attend a demonstration against a coronavirus lockdown in Berlin, Germany, May 2, 2020. REUTERS/Christian Mang

Reuters PICTURES - TUE DEC 29, 2020 - Our oddest photos from 2020

1000.jpeg

The presses begin rolling as the last daily edition of the Deseret News is printed at the MediaOne building in West Valley City, Utah, on Wednesday, Dec. 30, 2020. Both of Salt Lake City's major newspapers released their final daily print editions Thursday as the two publications transition to weekly editions. The Salt Lake Tribune, which won the Pulitzer Prize for local reporting in 2017, will continue to publish breaking stories online every day. The 170-year-old Deseret News in the state capital will also shift its attention online and offer a monthly magazine which will debut in January. (Scott G Winterton/The Deseret News via AP)

Both newspapers in Utah's capital print final daily editions

Hedge fund Alden offers to buy Tribune, valuing it at $521M

Kansas City newspaper reckons with its racial mistreatment

This mathematical principle reveals the best way to get anything you want in life

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

1 hour ago, boes said:

Neither belated wishes, nor Covid-19 or anti-democratic activities are going to keep us from celebrating your 21st birthday again.

10.gif

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 8

Now for the Obituaries:

Rudy Salas, cofounder of mainstay Chicano R&B band Tierra, dies at 71

Claude Bolling, French pianist who melded jazz and classical music, dies at 90

Last of singing McGuire Sisters dies in Vegas; Phyllis, 89

MF Doom, masked rapper known for complex lyrics, dies at 49

MF Doom, a masked rapper who awed hip-hop fans and fellow musicians with intricate wordplay, has died. He was 49.

The British-born rapper rarely appeared in public in recent years without his signature mask, modeled after the Marvel Comics villain Doctor Doom. His death was confirmed Thursday by Doom’s representative, Richie Abbott. Jasmine Dumile said in a statement that her husband — whose real name is Daniel Dumile — died Oct. 31.

The cause of death has not been released.

Jasmine Dumile posted a photo of the rapper and a heartfelt message on his Instagram pag e. She called him the “greatest husband” and father and thanked him for showing her how not to be “afraid to love.”

“Thank you for teaching me how to forgive beings and give another chance, not to be so quick to judge and write off,” she wrote. “My world will never be the same without you.”

Dumile was born in London and raised in New York. He began his rap career in the late 1980s under the name Zev Love X as part of the group KMD, which included his younger brother DJ Subroc.

The group released two albums: “Mr. Hood” in 1991 and “Black Bastards” two years later. Subroc died shortly before the release of the second album.

Dumile took a step back from the public eye, then returned in the late 1990s under his MF Doom persona. In 1999, he released his self-produced debut album “Operation: Doomsday.”

Dumile released six studio albums under different stage names, including King Geedorah and Viktor Vaughn. He collaborated with producer Madlib on the 2004 album “Madvillainy,” which was considered his most celebrated release.

Dumile’s last solo studio album, “Born Like This,” was released in 2009. His most recent album was a 2018 collaboration with the group Czarface: “Czarface Meets Metal Face.”

Dumile’s death, three years after the death of his 14-year-old son, shocked the hip-hop world. “Someone just stabbed all my chakras,” rapper Pharoahe Monch wrote on Instagram. “I’m angry. I’m hollering and I’m crying.”

“RIP to another Giant your favorite MC’s MC .. MF DOOM!! crushing news...,” producer and rapper Q-Tip wrote on social media.

Music industry executive Dante Ross, who signed KMD to its first record deal, said Dumile’s “life force was a metaphor for black men in this world. You took all the (bad things) sent your way and created beautiful art with it. Tragedy was your fuel for reinvention.”

Behind the theatrics of the mask was a technically proficient lyricist. With a monotone delivery that concealed deceptively complex lyrics and rhyme schemes, Doom evolved into a wordsmith that hip-hop’s top lyricists deeply admired. Each verse could require multiple listens to decipher the hidden or multiple meanings of words.

In an interview last year with Spin magazine, Dumile compared his songwriting to “gymnastics on paper” and achieving “triple word scores” in Scrabble.

“How many words repeat in a bar, or two bars? How many syllables can you use that still make sense in a song?” Dumile said. “The quality of the rhyming word: phonetically, how the tone is, in the pronunciation of the word. Regardless of language ... As long as the word itself rhymes, you still get points for that word. ... How many references can you cross and still stay on topic? And still rhyme? The more complex the subject matter and wordplay is, that’s where you get your points. I’m a rhymer, so I go for points.”

Edited by Cupid Stunt
12 minutes ago, Capricasix said:

Well, I’m halfway through Magnificent Seven now, and I rented Seven Samurai - but that one’s really long. I may need a couple days to watch the whole thing.

How do you like it so far? The Seven Samurai is so visually enthralling I don't think you'll notice the time.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Capricasix said:

It was good! I am definitely starting to see the western influences in the Mandalorian now. And I know it was a product of its time, but I was amused at how well the Mexican villagers spoke English 😄

George Lucas always said Star Wars was a space western. I'm glad you liked the movie. I think Charles Bronson is dreamy. And Steve McQueen. *swoon*

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, Capricasix said:

It was good! I am definitely starting to see the western influences in the Mandalorian now. And I know it was a product of its time, but I was amused at how well the Mexican villagers spoke English 😄

And if you're looking for Lucas/Kurosawa links, Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress was apparently the model/inspiration for Star Wars.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

1413191_6b2b3.gif

21 things to look forward to in 2021 ... if everything works out

The science of how to stick to New Year's resolutions and truly change your habits

The ‘know thyself’ weight loss resolution

2020 in 20 charts

How SoulCycle lost its soul -- How can you lose what you never had?

5fee78580d3eb.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

In this Dec. 22, 2020, file photo, medical workers prepare to manually prone a Covid-19 patient in intensive care unit at Providence Medical Center in Mission Hills, California/Jae C. Hong, Napa Valley Register

US Coronavirus Case Maps

America Has Not Fixed Its Deadliest Pandemic Errors

As US inches closer to 350,000 Covid-19 deaths, one model projects about 115,000 more could die in next four weeks

Evangelist singer draws a crowd of 2,500 to New Year's Eve gathering, ignoring risk of COVID-19 spread

California hospitals stressed to the 'brink of catastrophe' by the coronavirus surge

Virginia state senator dies at age 60 after contracting Covid-19

How we can encourage people to wear masks — for others’ sake

In collaboration with NASA and the Lunar and Planetary Institute, the USGS has released the first complete geological map of the Moon’s surface. This new work represents a seamless, globally consistent, 1:5,000,000-scale geologic map derived from the six digitally renovated geologic maps (see Source Online Linkage below). The goal of this project was to create a digital resource for science research and analysis, future geologic mapping efforts, be it local-, regional-, or global-scale products, and as a resource for the educators and the public interested in lunar geology.

6jARjazQJfq2v882YHZGxZ.jpg

Seriously, people?/Image: © Ian Cuming/Ikon Images via Getty Images

Flat Earthers tried to sail to the edge of the world…

5fe170072d707.image.jpg?resize=1200,1600

Reading Eagle photo

After decades of activism, the Navajo coal plant has been demolished

Goodbye, Flash. -- And good riddance.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, pearlite said:

And if you're looking for Lucas/Kurosawa links, Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress was apparently the model/inspiration for Star Wars.

I’m about halfway through Seven Samurai right now - Yojimbo is on my list as well.

• Love 5

It's from Cat's Cradle.  I think that's how it's spelled...I haven't read that book since I was in college!  It's a group of unrelated people who are thrown together to do God's work.  Sort of the family you choose, I guess.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

It's 7 I lovefrom Cat's Cradle.  I think that's how it's spelled...I haven't read that book since I was in college!  It's a group of unrelated people who are thrown together to do God's work.  Sort of the family you choose, I guess.

I love that!

• Love 4

Damn you, Cupid.....you just compelled me to order The Essential Julie London.  Got the albums and I'm replacing my fave LPs to CDs. 

Huge fan....used to sing some of her songs in the jazz/blues trio I was in.  Tasty stuff.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

How's your dad, peaches?  Has he been released from the hospital? 

And your brother, boes?

Thank you for asking, sweetie. He's back at his memory care home, under quarantine. They say he's getting weaker but they don't know if it's Covid or the inevitable effects of Alzheimer's.  I think this could be the end.

14 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

How's your dad, peaches?  Has he been released from the hospital? 

And your brother, boes?

My brother is out of the hospital for the third time now and this time it looks like it's going to stick.  He was released once and then collapsed at home due to plunging blood pressure but that seems to be under control.  Covid has made his breathing an ungoing issue at least for now and his energy level has been pretty low.  We are very grateful for the excellent care given him by an incredible medical team and I'm also grateful that now he understands how bad this can be.

Thanks for asking, Snaporaz.

11 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Thank you for asking, sweetie. He's back at his memory care home, under quarantine. They say he's getting weaker but they don't know if it's Covid or the inevitable effects of Alzheimer's.  I think this could be the end.

Oh God Peacheslatour I'm so sorry.  The ache of not being able to be with him must be unbearable.  I wish there was something we could do.  I hope you can take comfort in the excellent care you've given him but that must feel like pretty cold comfort when you can't be at his side.

Love to you.

• Love 10

Oh God Peacheslatour I'm so sorry.  The ache of not being able to be with him must be unbearable.  I wish there was something we could do.  I hope you can take comfort in the excellent care you've given him but that must feel like pretty cold comfort when you can't be at his side.

Love to you.

Love you too! It's terrible. I lay awake thinking about it and when I do sleep it just jolts me awake again.  He has suffered from blood clots before and Covid makes them worse.

I am so glad to hear your brother is on the mend! ((((hugs to your family))))

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 12

I've read things about that.  Makes sense.....he had many of Holly's traits in real life.

Wouldn't you have loved to run in those circles back then?  Fascinating people and places.

Much love and prayers to boes and peaches.  These are tough times.  Not being with family in a crisis is....I'm trying to find the right word.  It just plain sucks.  I was too ill to fly to FL when my Mom passed 4 yrs ago and it still hurts and I'm sure it always will.

😟

• Love 7

Wouldn't you have loved to run in those circles back then?  Fascinating people and places.

Right up until he wrote Answered Prayers and hung all their dirty laundry out for all the world to see.

I'm sorry about what happened when you lost your mom. Thank you for the kind words, I think you said just the right thing. 🤗

• Love 7

Merciful Father, You heal all diseases by Your word alone. Grant aid to Your servants Boe's brother and Peacheslatour's father, and lead them from the pain and infirmity of coronavirus. Guide their families with patience and Your eternal Grace. Through Your mercy and Will, give health and full recovery to Your humble servants, in the Name of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, with Your Holy Spirit, always, now and forever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

• Love 8