Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

First everyone, please be safe.

I, too, have been a little more stressed than usual.  I'm an account rep, our business is considered "essential", however, when 75% of your customers are NOT considered essential, that means you have no sales coming in.  My company announced furloughs would be happening last week, on Friday.  Thankfully, I survived that one.  Others did not, with over 600 people furloughed in my company on Friday.  They furloughed a couple of more people yesterday from my branch.  I am busy, just not overwhelmed busy, because I have several healthcare places, as well as a couple of assisted living facilities, in my book of business.  I have a new customer in implementation right now, who is also considered "essential" because they are a social service type organization, Easter Seals.  They want to start on April 1st, which is becoming a challenge to accomplish.

Then, since I've not a ton to do, I've been calling my customers, just reaching out to see how they are, if they're working.  I finally reached someone I work with at Marriott Corporation today (they're HQ'd here in Maryland) and this thing has devastated their industry.  I haven't been able to reach anyone there this week because they've furloughed a lot of people, and have been staggering it for a few weeks now, or have cut back people to part time.

I don't know why, but I feel calm, even though I am probably a bit depressed.  It's been raining here so that adds to the gloom.  I have had a great time looking out of my home office window, watching people walk their dogs IN THEIR PAJAMAS.....  Who does that?  Apparently, a lot of my neighbors!  Literally, a guy had on boxers and a bomber jacket, no umbrella or anything.  And army boots.  Then, you have others who are wrapped up so tight in clothing, all you see are two slits for their eyes, and they look ridiculous.  These types of people are probably those types who cough all over you in the supermarket, but if they go out to just walk their dog, they're super covered up and "concerned" about catching COVID-19.  Anyhow, that's how I pass my time during the day.

That, and yearning for this to be over with the least amount of casualties.  And worrying about anyone and everything.  And worried that we all may not get out of this alive, if our federal government has anything to do with it.

Oy.....it's a mess, isn't it?

• Love 14
37 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

First everyone, please be safe.

I, too, have been a little more stressed than usual.  I'm an account rep, our business is considered "essential", however, when 75% of your customers are NOT considered essential, that means you have no sales coming in.  My company announced furloughs would be happening last week, on Friday.  Thankfully, I survived that one.  Others did not, with over 600 people furloughed in my company on Friday.  They furloughed a couple of more people yesterday from my branch.  I am busy, just not overwhelmed busy, because I have several healthcare places, as well as a couple of assisted living facilities, in my book of business.  I have a new customer in implementation right now, who is also considered "essential" because they are a social service type organization, Easter Seals.  They want to start on April 1st, which is becoming a challenge to accomplish.

Then, since I've not a ton to do, I've been calling my customers, just reaching out to see how they are, if they're working.  I finally reached someone I work with at Marriott Corporation today (they're HQ'd here in Maryland) and this thing has devastated their industry.  I haven't been able to reach anyone there this week because they've furloughed a lot of people, and have been staggering it for a few weeks now, or have cut back people to part time.

I don't know why, but I feel calm, even though I am probably a bit depressed.  It's been raining here so that adds to the gloom.  I have had a great time looking out of my home office window, watching people walk their dogs IN THEIR PAJAMAS.....  Who does that?  Apparently, a lot of my neighbors!  Literally, a guy had on boxers and a bomber jacket, no umbrella or anything.  And army boots.  Then, you have others who are wrapped up so tight in clothing, all you see are two slits for their eyes, and they look ridiculous.  These types of people are probably those types who cough all over you in the supermarket, but if they go out to just walk their dog, they're super covered up and "concerned" about catching COVID-19.  Anyhow, that's how I pass my time during the day.

That, and yearning for this to be over with the least amount of casualties.  And worrying about anyone and everything.  And worried that we all may not get out of this alive, if our federal government has anything to do with it.

Oy.....it's a mess, isn't it?

It sure is. Other countries have competent governments but the richest country in the world? Meh, it's a hoax.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, boes said:

Cupid Stunt, PLEASE be careful, you and all the Stuntettes, too.  I have no doubt that you're all taking the proper precautions when visiting people and working with others, but make an old man happy and reassure me that you are.  Be safe. I'm sure you are but I'm in a nagging state of mind right now.

And that goes for all of the rest of you preverts, be safe.

(((boes))) Nag away. I love you all for it.

We're being very careful.

Mr.Stunt religiously wears a N95 mask and nitrile gloves outside of the house. And the office is fumigated and cleaned daily. 

The 3D Printers built their own clean room with air shower, HAZMAT suits, booties, double gloving, respirators, negative airflow, and fan filters in the ceiling. They check their temperatures regularly and change out of their protective suits, that are picked up by a laundry service.

I'm keeping my distance and using a mask and gloves. The school lunches are packaged at the school district in compostable containers and bagged. The crates are loaded in the Suburban and we call each delivery, pull out the bag and leave it on the step or ground to be picked by the kids -- They all understand social distancing and are observant -- They are grateful to have the daily meals. 

My employees: I drop the boxes at the door, use a pen to ring the bell and back up. My employee in the nursing home: drop off box at the front door and go around to her room window and talk through the glass.

My Meeting House parishioners and I drop off at the door of the food shelf, and worship 6ft apart. Some wear masks and gloves.

It's hard to work our mission in the time of coronavirus, but we're adjusting to it. I have hand sanitizer, masks, HAZMAT suits, face shield and gloves in the car. 

I run every morning, but there's no one out, just a little truck traffic. I occasionally see a runner coming my way; I move out to the middle of the street and give them a wide berth. 

One of my much loved cousins is currently self-isolating because she's got a low grade fever and body chills.  She's an oncology nurse - 2 months away from retirement, but she's gone in every day and volunteered for more shifts due to shortages - in Indiana - and now she may be sick.  Her house is big enough to self-quarantine away from her husband, but she was already a little heart sick from not being able to see her grandchildren and now this.....

So folks, keep an old boes happy and stay as safe as you can.

Take heart. boes.  Your cousin recognized symptoms and is following the protocol to protect herself, family and patients. 

All the Preverts take care of yourselves.

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

It sure is. Other countries have competent governments but the richest country in the world? Meh, it's a hoax.

We're a banana republic with nukes.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 12
16 hours ago, bannana said:

Just noticed while watching Better Call Saul (another great series!) that Line of Duty is coming to AMC, so for those of you without Netflix, you can catch it there.

And, I found this pretty funny.

That’s my Governor! Literally though in Chicago and it’s neighboring burbs it’s morning news then press conferences then inside edition or judge Judy,  then news again. 

My coworkers bitch about the negativity of it all then change the channel to cable and watch Law & Order SVU or Snapped 🤦🏻‍♀️

I don’t mind the news actually and wish more people wanted to watch it. Today someone messed with the newspapers before I opened up and also the headlines aren’t as current as real time, so I put it on in one of our community areas for a resident and gave him some coffee. 

2 of my coworkers are out with the flu and their covid tests came back negative but still can’t come back to work for a least a few days to a week and even then I will take their temp before letting them in. One hospice nurse had a 100 temp I took today so was turned away. 

• Love 7
On 3/19/2020 at 5:22 PM, lovemesomejoolery said:

I did it once when I was kid......then looked at myself in the mirror and was like "WTF?"

Being a kid, you think you can "fix" it.  I took a jar of paste....yes, paste......and tried to paste my hair back.  Needless to say, it was NOT a good look. My parents were furious and from that moment on, I always had a pixie cut, until I was old enough to prove I could handle longer hair - LOL!  It took a little longer to prove that, because another time, after I tried pasting my hair back to my head, I used my mom's Dippity-Do and her brush hair rollers to try and curl my hair.  I used so much Dippity-Do, the curlers had to be CUT OFF MY HEAD.

All I can say is, I was an only child.  A curious, only child!

Oy, to be young and that stupid.  Seems like nothing compared to now, does it?

My mom used to curl my hair in sausage curls - so i (at 5) took  my blunt little sissors and sheared half my head to the scalp - laying the curls out in a neat row before my mom caught me. I may have invvented the half bald look in the 50's.

• LOL 10
  • Love 2

602x338_cmsv2_0c909488-0076-5ae6-9bb7-6b

Spain's coronavirus death toll surpasses 4,000

WHO says a third of the newest coronavirus cases worldwide are in the US -- The country could become the next epicenter.

California coronavirus cases doubling every three to four days as US death toll nears 1,000

India’s coronavirus lockdown and its looming crisis, explained -- The numbers of officially confirmed cases are very low. But they’re likely masking a deeper problem in the world’s second-most-populous country.

Here's why the coronavirus may be killing more men than women. The US should take note

Malaria Drug Chloroquine No Better Than Regular Coronavirus Care, Study Finds -- Small study of 30 patients is early look at highly-touted drug. Medicine already being given to patients in New York

Dr. Fauci says US needs to be prepared for coronavirus to be cyclical

The Administration’s botched coronavirus response, explained From insufficient testing to a lack of coordination, -- From insufficient testing to a lack of coordination, the Covid-19 response has been a disaster years in the making.

Exclusive: U.S. slashed CDC staff inside China prior to coronavirus outbreak

FEMA Pulls Back From Defense Production Act Amid Mixed Signals

How Congress could force Trump to use the Defense Production Act -- Congress is pushing bills that could force the president’s hand, but Republicans would still have to get on board.

GettyImages_1192159984.0.jpg

A homeless man sleeps on the sidewalk near San Francisco City Hall on December 5, 2019 -- Justin Sullivan/Getty Images The pandemic could get Silicon Valley to do something it has rarely done: Give money to local charities -- The coronavirus is a test for Silicon Valley philanthropists to finally give to Silicon Valley.

Senate passes $2 trillion bill to blunt coronavirus pandemic’s economic impact, as households and businesses gasp for relief

What's in the $2 trillion coronavirus stimulus bill

Liberty University’s choice to stay open during coronavirus, explained -- Liberty University’s classes are remote, but its students are coming back to dorms. It could be a public health disaster in the making.

Billionaires Want People Back to Work. Employees Aren’t So Sure -- ‘We’ll gradually bring those people back and see what happens.’ Goldman veterans Blankfein and Cohn want the economy ‘back on’ -- Every executive who says something like this should be first for a week of shifts taking out trashbags from the ER. 

After you, Collaborator. -- How Medical ‘Chickenpox Parties’ Could Turn The Tide Of The Wuhan Virus -- It is time to think outside the box and seriously consider a somewhat unconventional approach to COVID-19: controlled voluntary infection. -- First, labeling human beings as "Undersirables" who are drains on society, with a plan to kill them off. And now, sending children to "Infection Camps" to be used for medical experimentation. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

A Silicon Valley firm said it could give its own investors expedited coronavirus tests, but then said it was just “boasting” -- Silicon Valley’s elite can’t actually jump the line. <cough

p-1-90481370-why-arenand8217t-n95-masks-

Why haven’t they designed reusable N95 masks? -- As the country faces a shortage of protective gear and healthcare workers are asked to keep masks in paper bags between shifts, why don’t we have masks that can be disinfected safely? -- It's all about the money.

Job postings are down 7 percent this year. It’s probably going to get way worse. -- Growth in health care and warehouse jobs is not enough to counter declines in tourism and entertainment.

The coronavirus is exacerbating vulnerabilities Native communities already face -- Lack of clean water and overcrowding leave Indian Country open to a “perfect storm” of health and economic crises during the pandemic.

The Supreme Court handed down a unanimous decision that bodes ill for the future of civil rights -- The justices gave up an important fight over how to prove discrimination.

How to Make Your Food Last Longer

Why most auto dealers, service departments are open for business during coronavirus

p-1-90478307-illustrators-offer-free-dra

Stuck at home? Take free drawing classes from famous illustrators -- Most are designed for kids—but all welcome the young at heart

The danger of mythologizing America’s “heartland” -- How the Midwest became a symbol of what’s ordinary, wholesome and practical and why this idea endures. -- Political and commercial marketing.

Need a refund on those tickets to NBA, NHL or baseball games? Hold that thought -- Whoops!

Bill Rieflin, Drummer for King Crimson, R.E.M., Ministry, Dead at 59

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

I think there’s a demand in healthcare and certain retail or warehouse jobs but not everyone is going to risk quarantine or able to apply to them. For one thing all libraries are closed and for those without desktop home computers how will they apply? Second for many jobs you need to take drug and/or tb tests and people don’t want to risk it at medical centers or hospitals or to be in long wait in lobbies. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 3/24/2020 at 11:25 AM, Petunia13 said:

People are often surprised when I swear since I guess my voice is so soft and high pitched and I’m “so nice!” or I guess polite so when I call a machine or situation as shitty or fucked up it’s unexpected.  I’ve always been that way as you all have noticed.  

Now I'm picturing you as Kelly from Superstore!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Well, last week I was working from home. Monday the boss called me and laid me off. No job, no healthcare. And I found out the payroll service they use ends health coverage at midnite on the day you are let go. Not even until the end of the month! Disgusting. NYUI website is so over loaded I still haven't been able to file my claim. And after that I get to tackle the healthcare nightmare. So anyway, yesterday (Wednesday) I went in to NYC to go to a drs apt. I had gone in on Tues to get some of my stuff from the office. Tuesday was scary virus-wise, Wednesday the virus was the least of my fears. Here's what i posted on my fb page, and there were more horrors, this was just the highlights:

"What a nightmare trip into the city. Coming into Penn Station was like going to the zombie apocalypse. Almost all of the stores were closed and roped off and other general areas were roped off. The remaining corridor was lined with the crazy-eyed, talking to themselves, filthy beyond belief homeless, and a strolling pigeon. I would have taken a picture but it was so horrifying I just wanted to get out. Krispy Kreme was open. There was one worker there standing as far back as he could, looking mortified. The zombies had the place surrounded. 

The subway wasn’t as bad as I expected. But overall there were even less people today than yesterday and a much higher ratio of homeless. On the trip back I had to change cars due to the stench of some pathetic creature with no shoes. The subways have had train service cut in half. I had to wait so long for the subway coming back that I missed my NJT train by two friggin minutes. And when I was talking to a worker at the station who had just come up from the track my train was on, she told me that the train closed its doors and left a minute early. So I got to wait around for an hour until the next train. 

I opted to wait outside in the fresh air. I was standing around the corner on 31st and then had to get the police officer who was in front of Penn to stop some teens from roughing up a homeless(?) mentally unwell woman. After that when I was talking to a couple guys, one maintenance and one security, they told me she had been baiting people for awhile. But she was clearly unwell. There was no reasonable reason for those teens to engage with her. And while we were talking we saw birds fighting. Most likely over a crumb. With no people dropping their food on the street there’s no food for them. The guys shared their conspiracy theories with me. Nothing new I hadn’t already heard. Most of the people I saw walking around outside of Penn were very scary. But my train finally came and this one did not leave a minute early, it left about four minutes late. If the previous train had left four minutes early I would have missed all this fun."

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, SweePea59 said:

Oh, yeah, Happy Birthday to me and Y&R.

Happy Birthday, SweetPea59!!!  I'm sorry for what you're going through and that horror of a shit show you endured in New York.  

I hope something, anything, starts to go right for you.  Stay safe and stay well.

giphy.gif

Edited by boes
  • LOL 1
  • Love 12
On 3/24/2020 at 4:31 PM, jpagan05 said:

There are 6 seasons on the US Netflix (I'm here in the states). Jeong Kwan was season 3. I hope you can watch it!

Woo hoo!  I found all the other episodes!  I really don't know how I missed them.  I could swear that this past weekend, when I looked, there was only one season shown......and the episode I remembered most was the one with the chef in Georgia, who owned The Grey, the converted, segregated bus station.  And that was the only season I saw for at least the past year...now, miraculously, they're all there!  And the episode I remember was Season 6, so I have a lot to catch up on, 20+ hours of it!

So excited......

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

200326111901-01-dyson-covent-ventilator-

James Dyson designed a new ventilator in 10 days. He's making 15,000 for the pandemic fight

Bonanza for Rich Real Estate Investors, Tucked Into Stimulus Package -- Was there any doubt there would be a bailout for a specialized business lobby?

Bread and Circuses -- Coronavirus stimulus plan

Stimulus Money to Protect Elections Falls Short, Critics Say -- Can't let the people left behind have their say in November.

Explainer: Hobbled IRS tax agency may need months to put cash into Americans' hands

A just and sustainable economic response to coronavirus, explained -- In the short term, recovery; in the long term, resilience and renewal.

Internal Emails Show How Chaos at the CDC Slowed the Early Response to Coronavirus -- The CDC fumbled its communication with public health officials and underestimated the threat of the coronavirus even as it gained a foothold in the United States, according to hundreds of pages of documents ProPublica obtained.

Coronavirus Task Force Briefing -- March 26, 2020

California coronavirus surge on par with New York, alarming officials. Cases top 3,000

He survived COVID-19. He's broke. But he thinks America is overreacting -- Tell that to the medical personnel that saved your life.

America’s housing system was radically unprepared for coronavirus -- “We’re in uncharted territory.”

Europe eyes smartphone location data to stem virus spread

Can your boss make you come to work during the COVID-19 outbreak?

782A0702.0.jpg

Inside FIRE, the implausible millennial movement to save, invest, and quit the American workplace -- “Financial Independence Retire Early,” with its emphasis on extreme frugality, grew in popularity after the last financial crisis. But can the movement prepare its followers for the next one? -- Hipsters want to opt out. Recession say, "Nope."

5 lessons on social distancing from the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic -- One big lesson: You can’t give up early on social distancing.

New York Governor Cuomo Coronavirus News Conference -- March 24, 2020 -- New York Governor Andrew Cuomo’s briefing was grim, He was pleading with the federal government to do something. NYC apex – peak cases – will be happening in 14-21 days. It will be more than the current hospital capacity can handle. They need ventilators and the federal government has done next to nothing. There are 20,000 ventilators in the whole federal stockpile. FEMA sent New York 400. Cuomo wants the Defense Production Act to be invoked immediately to compel manufacturers to start making ventilators. He ridiculed the notion that companies are going to volunteer to do this, and pointed out that the Defense Production Act guarantees that the government will buy ventilators that it requisitions. He addressed the administration's ridiculous, early concentration on the economy with two points. First, no American wants to kill people to get the economy restarted. “My mother is not expendable, your mother is not expendable. We are not going to accept a premise that human life is expendable.” Second, the way to get the economy restarted is to develop a test to find the 80% of the population that will clear the virus, and presumably be immune, and send them back to work. Finally, he offered that after New York was past its apex, he would send ventilators, and healthcare workers, to states that need them. It’s hard to understate how many people inaction and incompetence will kill, and Cuomo clearly recognized that.

‘Imaginary clock’: Governors reject Trump’s virus timeline

Hospitals consider universal do-not-resuscitate orders for coronavirus patients

Republican Billionaire’s Group Pushes Unproven COVID-19 Treatment Trump Promoted -- A nonprofit started by the billionaire co-founder of Home Depot says plants are ready to produce the drug but for “red tape.” Experts caution it’s unproven and possibly dangerous.

With delays, coronavirus puts state of 2020 into question

How China Built a Twitter Propaganda Machine Then Let It Loose on Coronavirus -- ProPublica analyzed thousands of fake and hijacked Twitter accounts to understand how covert Chinese propaganda spreads around the globe.

ap060123033692.jpg

Great Barrier Reef suffers mass coral bleaching due to heat stress

What America Lost When It Lost the Bison -- By migrating in huge herds, bison behave like a force of nature, engineering and intensifying waves of spring greenery that other grazers rely on.

A reporter's reaction when a bison herd approaches has the internet in stitches. Yellowstone says he did the right thing

Powerful Atlas V rocket soars from Cape Canaveral on Space Force's first mission -- Spy satellites and away!

Report: Navy ships need $400K ‘flushes’ to unclog toilets

U.S. files drug trafficking charges against Venezuelan president -- The U.S. and Maduro have long been at odds over the country's extensive corruption. -- Are we going to invade, like Panama or Iraq, to prove Glorious Leader is the biggest dog in the hemisphere?

Five-years-on-Saudi-struggles-to-escape-

Five years on, Saudi struggles to escape Yemen quagmire

North Carolina Sen. Richard Burr sued over controversial stock sales

Imagining the Future Is Just Another Form of Memory -- Humans’ ability to predict the future is all thanks to our ability to remember the past.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10

I'm not going to complain about work, I'm not going to complain about work. I'm not going to complain about work, I'm not going to complain about work. I'm not going to complain about work, I'm not going to complain about work.  I'm not going to complain about work, I'm not going to complain about work. I'm not going to complain about work, I'm not going to complain about work. <Grr>

Picked up sacks of apples and delivered meals to the school children with Thing2. He brought along shrink-wrapped, donated Sesame Street books for the little kids, and they were thrilled.

I finished steam cleaning the rugs and carpets today, which put Melvin back in his kennel stoned. Cleaned out the machine, and Paypaled cleaning lady; She picked the steamer up later in the afternoon. Thanks Honey.

We canceled our August vacation. Got our deposit back. <sigh>

Our neighbors are having a Social Distancing Dance Party: BBQ, cocktails, and loud music -- Ribollita, salad and strawberry sorbet, rolled out the sound board and PA, and we're in the middle blasting Ratatat to a weary City of Angels ...

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 10

@Cupid Stunt you do so much good in the world you: A I know your feelings and thoughts are validated and B even if you complained your head off for 1000 hours straight in my face and I’d be nodding and using whatever money I have to buy you lunch or a bottle of Caymus. You @boes @PatsyandEddie @bannana @peacheslatour Are my role models for grace and integrity. 

I actually don’t think they do flower deliveries anymore a lot of shops...🤔 otherwise I’d use that example....one donated an arrangement to my work it would be nice if people did that more but I get they’re scared of the virus. I’m vegan but my closed restaurant had a lot of prime rib, aged steaks, a LOT of produce, cakes pies and dairy and half used toilet rolls, and gloves, hand sanitizers and soap they pitched cuz they couldn’t donate it or didn’t want to risk it in the quarantine and fear of being contagious. I want to bring flowers sometimes to the resident who has early onset dementia but I’m not sure I can properly sanitize them before coming in also I don’t want her to think I’m weird if i can. 

I’m hoping and praying often this ends soon with no more loss of life. 

My fear beyond that and an aside is socially and economically we will be changed even the times walking George we say 👋 at a great distance, strangers  or friends and neighbors are afraid of each other and I feel that will continue a long time. When Lord knows when it will end it’s going to be weird w all the out of work people and lower and middle class/service workers. I think I will be competing for any waitress gig against 1000 applicants and the bosses will be even more douchy or racist (which was already a problem before this as I mentioned) since they know they have a huge pool of people for the gig so will be drunk w power. 

It was so fucking weird I took a job randomly in healthcare mornings part time just before the virus hit US. It paid less then a my lunch waitress job that was dicking me around making me hostess but I thought it was closer and would teach me character and kept my weekend fine dining night one. Thank God I did and it did! 

• Love 11
19 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

I think there’s a demand in healthcare and certain retail or warehouse jobs but not everyone is going to risk quarantine or able to apply to them. For one thing all libraries are closed and for those without desktop home computers how will they apply? Second for many jobs you need to take drug and/or tb tests and people don’t want to risk it at medical centers or hospitals or to be in long wait in lobbies. 

Not everyone is laying off workers because of coronavirus. These are the most in-demand jobs right now.

The most in-demand jobs in the US

1. Store associate

2. System operator

3. Certified public accountant

4. Health care specialist

5. Construction worker

6. Warehouse manager

7. Psychologist

8. Vehicle mechanic

9. Academic adviser

10. Delivery driver

6 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

@Cupid Stunt you do so much good in the world you: A I know your feelings and thoughts are validated and B even if you complained your head off for 1000 hours straight in my face and I’d be nodding and using whatever money I have to buy you lunch or a bottle of Caymus. You @boes @PatsyandEddie @bannana @peacheslatour Are my role models for grace and integrity. 

The only way we're gonna' get out of this alive is if we lend a hand and lift each other up. And this is the best forum I've ever habituated that demonstrates that every day. 

Caymus! Yum … I'm there! Heck, let's invite everyone!

I actually don’t think they do flower deliveries anymore a lot of shops...🤔 otherwise I’d use that example....one donated an arrangement to my work it would be nice if people did that more but I get they’re scared of the virus. I’m vegan but my closed restaurant had a lot of prime rib, aged steaks, a LOT of produce, cakes pies and dairy and half used toilet rolls, and gloves, hand sanitizers and soap they pitched cuz they couldn’t donate it or didn’t want to risk it in the quarantine and fear of being contagious. I want to bring flowers sometimes to the resident who has early onset dementia but I’m not sure I can properly sanitize them before coming in also I don’t want her to think I’m weird if i can. 

I was thinking about florists and flower sellers the other day … The corner vendors I buy fruit from have fewer buckets of flower bunches lately, but you've given me an idea. St. Vincent DePaul in his many acts of charity to the poor brought bread and flowers with his prayers. He believed the poor deserved beauty as much as physical sustenance.

I imagine if dumpster divers ran across your former employer's dumpster is would have been a pot of gold. I wonder why a charity that feeds the poor wouldn't take the food? 

I’m hoping and praying often this ends soon with no more loss of life.

Lord, hear our prayers, and have mercy on us.

My fear beyond that and an aside is socially and economically we will be changed even the times walking George we say 👋 at a great distance, strangers  or friends and neighbors are afraid of each other and I feel that will continue a long time. When Lord knows when it will end it’s going to be weird w all the out of work people and lower and middle class/service workers. I think I will be competing for any waitress gig against 1000 applicants and the bosses will be even more douchy or racist (which was already a problem before this as I mentioned) since they know they have a huge pool of people for the gig so will be drunk w power. 

Everything changed after the 2007-08 recession. Everything changed after 9/11. Not all the change will be for the better. The present recession/housing crisis has been creeping up slowly on the left coast for 20 odd months, but coronavirus health crisis lit the fuse.

I do believe that a new broom sweeps clean. I don't think people will look at health care and public health the same way after this. I look to that goal. 

It was so fucking weird I took a job randomly in healthcare mornings part time just before the virus hit US. It paid less then a my lunch waitress job that was dicking me around making me hostess but I thought it was closer and would teach me character and kept my weekend fine dining night one. Thank God I did and it did! 

You were meant to be there, Petunia. And you're doing a great job.

Stay safe, and give George a skritch from me.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 9

BB11LvHY.img?h=533&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

It was the worst week for the economy in decades. The pain is just beginning. -- The record 3.3 million jobless claims reported Thursday mark the beginning of an economic crisis facing American workers and businesses — a slump, experts say, that will only end when the coronavirus pandemic is contained.

Charting the coronavirus pandemic state by state -- In cases, deaths, and tests per capita, here’s how each US state’s coronavirus situation compares.

The myth of authoritarian coronavirus supremacy -- China wants you believe its political system stopped coronavirus. That’s a lie.

Fed balance sheet tops $5 trillion for first time as it enters coronavirus war mode -- That's going to leave a mark. Should we roll back the 2017-18 Tax Reform acts now?

Here’s why stocks are rising on terrible news -- Say hello to the dead cat bounce

Who got special deals in the stimulus and why they got them -- In the $2 trillion package, senators took care of their home state industries and pet projects.

As Coronavirus Spread, Largest Stimulus in History United a Polarized Senate -- Everyone agrees on spreading the wealth in an election year.

Airlines look to Congress for bailout as coronavirus hits industry -- Where did all your profits go from the last 8 years?

Trump Administration Pulls Back From $1 Billion Coronavirus Ventilator Deal -- Too much gravy to throw at a behemoth that can't save itself?

200326135859-01-coronavirus-empty-spaces

Cases explode in Michigan but states outside the hotspots can't get supplies

Doctors and nurses treating coronavirus report high rates of depression and anxiety -- They’re risking their mental health for us, a new study shows.

In the mean time -- One ventilator, two patients: New York hospitals shift to crisis mode

How the coronavirus works inside your body -- The Atlantic’s Ed Yong explains why this coronavirus is so contagious and deadly.

‘Just damage containment’: Cost of the coronavirus shutdown keeps rising -- Millions of Americans are out of work, most others are slashing their spending and businesses are getting crushed.

Coronavirus outbreak diverts Navy aircraft carrier to Guam, all 5,000 aboard to be tested -- The number of infected sailors has risen sharply from initial reports of three to "dozens" as of Thursday, officials said.

Coronavirus outbreak is reshaping terrorist plots, DOJ says -- John Demers, the head of the Justice Department's National Security Division, said the pandemic may prompt some terrorists to speed up their attack plans. -- The DOJs on the case.

Covid_19_Transmission_graphic_01.gif

How you can keep thousands of people from getting coronavirus, in one GIF -- “It’s not about you, it’s about everybody else.”

How the Administration plans to relax social distancing guidelines -- The Administration details plans to use increased testing and surveillance in a letter to state governors.

Multi Levels Marketers are using the coronavirus to recruit new sellers -- “There’s never been a more opportune time,” says one MLM advocate. -- Avoid them like the coronavirus!

A grocery store threw out $35,000 in food that a woman intentionally coughed on, sparking coronavirus fears, police said

Solidarity In A Time Of Social Distancing

Social distancing can’t last forever. Here’s what should come next.-- Scientists are explaining the moonshot effort needed to end social distancing and this pandemic. Will leaders listen? -- Will anyone listen?

GettyImages_1176493587.0.jpg

When home isn’t safe: What the coronavirus pandemic means for domestic violence survivors -- For millions of Americans, sheltering in place could be dangerous.

America’s child welfare system was already failing. The pandemic could weaken it further. -- Parents can’t see their children and social workers can’t make visits, leaving kids feeling more isolated and possibly putting them in danger.

Conservatives are using the pandemic to push anti-abortion and anti-trans agendas -- At least four states have banned most abortions or passed anti-trans legislation.

Quarantine cooking is about more than just feeding yourself -- Cooking and baking provide entertainment and community as well as sustenance.

Like it or not, tech companies can use your phone location data to map social distancing -- Is slowing the spread of coronavirus worth compromising your privacy? -- Is giving the government card blanche worth compromising your privacy?

Afro-jazz star Manu Dibango dies after contracting coronavirus

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

Quebec has over 2000 corona cases. I believe we are the province with the highest number. It’s insane. 

On another note, my six hour course is now taking place tomorrow at 10 am in my bedroom. We’ll be holding it through Zoom. That should be interesting. I will have to lock Steve up in another room. He will not be pleased. And he will probably be terrified of the mouse and vice versa, heh. 

• Love 9
40 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

Quebec has over 2000 corona cases. I believe we are the province with the highest number. It’s insane. 

On another note, my six hour course is now taking place tomorrow at 10 am in my bedroom. We’ll be holding it through Zoom. That should be interesting. I will have to lock Steve up in another room. He will not be pleased. And he will probably be terrified of the mouse and vice versa, heh. 

Good luck with it all, jewel21!

• Love 9

Our Glorious Leader has sent his people Coronavirus Guidelines For America ...

1585155169-trump_coronavirus_postcard_fr

… a month late.

It's another reminder of how fucked up the entire government response to this pandemic has been.

Dr. Birx is spinning false hopes, according to one of the epidemiologists whose data she referenced in the “Survivor: Coronavirus” reality TV episode she co-hosted along with Glorious Leader last night. An excerpt:

So the scenario Dr. Birx is “assuring” us about is one in which we somehow escape Italy’s problem of overloaded healthcare system despite the fact that social distancing is not really happening in large parts of the US.

That is unlikely. Then the rosy scenario assumes we get to minimal numbers of cases everywhere, develop and maintain testing and tracing capacity, execute well on it, don’t miss imported cases that spark new chains of transmission, and somehow maintain this delicate balance… 

For the 12-18 months (best case under current models) till a vaccine. I desperately hope she is right, because much suffering will be avoided. But reassurance that this is likely, or even plausible, with the disorganized track record of the US response, is false reassurance. 

We should work our hardest to create the conditions to make the scenarios being described here (one bad wave, contained by social distancing, and we’re down to a point of controllable spread) a reality. Doing so will make us better prepared, even if they don’t come to pass. 

But it would be extremely naive to imagine that they are likely, and what do I know, but it seems like bad politics to “assure” the American people that they will come to pass when so many things could go wrong, any one of which leads to much worse outcomes.

Worse even than that, Glorious Leader is in fucking denial about the need for ventilators, as he apparently discussed on the fucking Sean Hannity show last night, and he put his smarmy fucking failed real estate developer son-in-law in charge of manufacturing them. Via Talking Points Memo:

The information contained in this article is obscene. While Americans die in escalating numbers and hospitals around the country announce plans to deny care to those already seriously ill the White House is negotiating with various businesses and joint ventures over producing ventilators. Today a deal with GM and Ventec was put on hold because the White House was unsure whether it was paying too much or whether they’d be purchasing too many and left with extra ventilators there was no need for. The White House point man on this critical life and death effort is Jared Kushner. They’re trying to cut the best deal while people die. It will make you furious and it may make you cry.

But because I am an incurable optimist, here’s one hope I have: maybe this real-time demonstration of how government at every level can have a tangible and direct impact on our very lives will finally wake the serial masturbators, the apathetic and ignorant up from their idles; maybe they’ll understand that Hell To The Fucking Yes It Matters Who Operates The Levers Of Power.

Going off to eat Chinese take out, and drink vodka tonics (gotta' get that quinine)  like a Hungarian anarchist.

I find my pitchfork needs sharpening.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
Lost my temper. Alcohol helps.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11

BB11BgRB.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

Fact-checking coronavirus claims

Google Coronavirus Tips

Your Money: The one document Americans need now - Power of attorney

WHO officials enroll first patients from Norway and Spain in ‘historic’ coronavirus drug trial -- World health officials are testing four of the most promising drugs to fight COVID-19, including malaria medications chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine, an antiviral compound called Remdesivir, a combination of HIV drugs Lopinavir and Ritonavir and a combination of those drugs plus interferon-beta.

As Virus Spreads, China and Russia See Openings for Disinformation

Where coronavirus outbreak started in Washington state, officials see hope as cases appear to be leveling off

Coronavirus Cases, Concentrated on the Coasts, Now Threaten America’s Middle

800.jpeg

Are gun shops ‘essential’ businesses during a pandemic?

'Suspend enforcement': Georgia lawmaker wants to loosen gun control laws amid coronavirus outbreak -- It's an election year.

French Laundry restaurateur Thomas Keller sues insurer for coronavirus losses

Ethanol plants seek rule changes to resupply hand sanitizer

800.jpeg

Not all or nothing: Anti-virus lockdowns could lift slowly

California governor: 5 big banks suspend mortgage payments

Citing virus, EPA has stopped enforcing environmental laws -- Because the government can't combat coronavirus, activate reservists on American soil, and enforce the law all at the same time.

‘It’s a very difficult trade-off.’ How can you choose between saving the U.S. economy from coronavirus and saving lives?

I Became a Disciplined Investor Over 40 Years. The Virus Broke Me In 40 Days.

It has been noticed, Pollyanna … For Dr. Deborah Birx, Urging Calm Has Come With Heavy Criticism

The Administration says U.S. will make 100,000 ventilators in 100 days

The Administration tells GM: Stop 'wasting time', build ventilators to address coronavirus

The Administration authorizes call-up of military reservists to active duty: white house

B99876970Z.1_20200324064728_000_GJT2QD7A

POLL-Almost one in four Americans lost job or furloughed because of coronavirus -Reuters/Ipsos poll

‘Arrogant’ and ‘ashamed’: The coronavirus mea culpas from people who once thought it was no big deal

?m=02&d=20200328&t=2&i=1509150538&w=780&

A commuter enjoys the sunset alone on the upper deck of a Staten Island Ferry in Manhattan, New York City, March 26, 2020. REUTERS/Caitlin Ochs Reuters Photos March 27, 2020 -- Solitary scenes in the coronavirus pandemic

MLB uniform maker switches to producing medical masks, gowns

15 Broadway Plays and Musicals You Can Watch On Stage From Home -- From Newsies to Sweeney Todd, we’re running down some of the best filmed Broadway shows—and where to find them.

How will sports avoid a 'biological bomb' when returning from coronavirus hiatus?

Zoom's massive 'overnight success' actually took nine years

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9

Sad news:

John Callahan of 'All My Children' fame has died.

The longtime soap star passed away Saturday after suffering a massive stroke at his Palm Desert, CA home ... according to his rep. On Friday, paramedics were called to his home and he was transferred to a hospital in Rancho Mirage, where he was put on life support.

Callahan's rep says his death is NOT related to COVID-19 -- but notes that nonetheless, some of John's family members were only able to see him for a short while due to hospital restrictions currently in place all over the country because of the coronavirus.

• Love 1

@boes We watched the first ep of Making the Cut. I knew that person would go home. I do like their POV though. I would have been happy if the other one went too. Ugh, such an unnecessary aesthetic. I wish I could hug Tim Gunn. He is so anxious and shaky, exactly how I would be on TV. And when he cries, I cry.

• Love 4

Oooh, for those who haven't seen it, Bates Motel is available on Netflix!  It's the only Psycho-adjacent project I can give a thumbs-up to.  It's creepy and atmospheric and kind of soapy, and Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore are freaking amazing in it.  I think it would suit the current mood.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Oooh, for those who haven't seen it, Bates Motel is available on Netflix!  It's the only Psycho-adjacent project I can give a thumbs-up to.  It's creepy and atmospheric and kind of soapy, and Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore are freaking amazing in it.  I think it would suit the current mood.

At @peacheslatour loved that show. 

I saw a very disturbing video on social media yesterday that upset me the whole day. I worked after and when I got home and finally had time to myself allowed myself to cry, to cry myself asleep. As terrible as it is I know I need to know these things happened, it happened. 

@jpagan05, my husband and I watched the episode of Chef's Table yesterday with Jeong Kwan.  It was such a beautiful episode, from the views of the mountains and nature, to the temple, to her food and to her words themselves.  Sometimes, you hear a message and it is just what you need.  That's what happened to my husband and I yesterday when we watched it!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

8c615baecdc54c861d747d4ef9531f56.jpg

The Race for Virus Money Is On. Lobbyists Are Standing By.  -- Gimme' da' Money, Suckas!

The Administration says it won’t comply with key transparency measures in the coronavirus stimulus bill -- The administration says it won’t provide documentation for audits into $500 billion in corporate bailout funds.

The Leader of the Free World Gives a Speech, and She Nails It

The mystery of Germany’s low coronavirus death rate -- Germany has the fifth most coronavirus cases worldwide — but only a fraction of the deaths.

The missing six weeks: The Administration was aware of the danger from the coronavirus, but a lack of leadership has created an emergency of epic proportions

The people running the world’s biggest companies have no idea what’s going to happen, either -- Companies to Wall Street: Remember those projections we gave you recently? Forget those, please.

What both the left and the right get wrong about the coronavirus economic crisis -- Financial historian Adam Tooze on the lessons policymakers need to learn, and fast.

Struggling Americans Can Tap 401Ks With Coronavirus Bill -- Rules for 401(k) loans will be relaxed by compromise package. Similar rules were passed after financial crisis and disasters

The Great American Migration of 2020: On the move to escape the coronavirus

Locked up: No masks, sanitizer as virus spreads behind bars -- And limited health care.

GettyImages-171558243-scaled-e1584383026

How soap absolutely annihilates the coronavirus -- You’re not just washing viruses down the drain. Soap destroys the coronavirus, a chemistry professor explains.

‘Off the charts’: Virus hot spots grow in middle America

Counties without coronavirus are mostly rural, poor

Coronavirus, anxiety, and the profound failure of rugged individualism -- The coronavirus is making us all more anxious and depressed. Here’s what we can do about it.

How do 3 million newly unemployed people get health care? -- The uninsured rate is spiking in the middle of a pandemic.

Hemingway Was Once Quarantined with his Wife ... and Mistress -- The true story of how Ernest Hemingway, his wife Hadley, his mistress Pauline Pfieffer, his son Bumby, and the nanny spent a summer on lockdown. -- Luckily the Fitzgerald's were staying up the road … Ha!

800.jpeg

The week that was: Stories from the coronavirus saga

This social network for churches is thriving in the coronavirus pandemic -- In response to the coronavirus, churches are playing catch-up to get themselves online. Some platforms are eager to help.

Asians in US and abroad report surge in racist attacks amid coronavirus outbreak

US agency includes gun sellers as ‘critical’ infrastructure -- The designation by the federal Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency is advisory. The agency notes that the designation does not override determinations by individual jurisdictions of what they consider critical infrastructure sectors. -- We're gonna' shoot at those Chinese Virus and git' rid of em' once and for all!

All the Coronavirus Statistics Are Flawed -- Are we winning the war against COVID-19? In the fog of pandemic, we simply don’t know.

?m=02&d=20200327&t=2&i=1508884926&w=&fh=

Global condom shortage looms as coronavirus shuts down production -- World’s biggest producer says lockdown has already caused shortfall of 100m condoms -- Is he/she comdom-worthy?

Mail, groceries, and takeout: How to be sanitary with the stuff you’re bringing into your home -- Even in self-isolation, outside items enter your home. Cleaning them to prevent coronavirus infection isn’t as complicated as you might think.

A guide to the vaccines and drugs that could fight coronavirus -- The most promising medical solutions to Covid-19 show what’s wrong with our approach to outbreaks.

Ventilator vs. respirator, quarantine vs. isolation: Covid-19 pandemic terms, defined -- A coronavirus pandemic glossary.

Play it safe: What kids should know about the coronavirus outbreak

How US schools are (and aren’t) providing meals to children in the Covid-19 crisis -- Parents rely on schools for children’s meals. Coronavirus has exposed the vulnerabilities of these programs. 

The missing puzzle piece for getting to 100% clean power -- It’s about using renewable energy to make gas.

GettyImages_140147188.0.jpg

Rev. Joseph Lowery, civil rights activist and co-founder of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, in 2011 -- The Washington Post via Getty Images

Civil rights icon Rev. Joseph Lowery has died -- He remained committed to social justice --  from fighting racism to speaking out against income inequality --  throughout his life.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6

Station and corporate offices were supposed to reopen March 30th, and that has been pushed to April 6th. In the mean time, because LA is still a coronavirus hot spot and the incubation period is being stretched to 38 days, the national offices are having Zip walls installed in reception/foyers to isolate off-the-street visitors, and personnel continues to be bare bones.

SLP_use_endi.jpg

All upholstered furniture has been fumigated and moved to storage; easy to sterilize plastic chairs will take their place. The lunchroom is locked until further notice, refrigerator and food machines emptied. All the offices were sealed off, post fumigation. <sigh>

Radio talent (a few are broadcasting from home) and engineers are the only employees in the station offices. They take out their own garbage, follow cleaning procedures for the next shift, and pass each other at the back door as the next shift takes their place during an extended commercial break. Cleaners come in to fumigate every day. Everyone hates the isolation and lack of human contact. Sales is making hay with my push to have customers develop/expand their online presence; ad sales are strong in my division.  

The 3D Printers got their state charity designation, and Nana Stunt is financing their operation; Thing2 and his college roommate had been the original equipment and financing. They picked up another printer. 

Mr. Stunt is back to scavenging; this time essentials for food shelves and the homeless. 

Number 17 on the Quarantine Project List: sorting files and cleaning the home office -- There must be some reason we kept all this detritus. Anything obscure is given to Mr. Stunt to decipher.

• Love 9

Yeah, scavenging or scrounging is how I thought of my forays down the street with stores near me. If I felt humorous, and God I hope I will again, I remembered my favourite characters from WWII POW movies; Great Escape, Stalag 17. Because the scrounger characters were usually my favourites--I end up being the supply sergeant for Maison Pearlite.

So now [and in the US you don't have this problem] I have managed to use an old bottle delivery service that PLL and friends in their misbegotten adolescences favoured years ago. Ontario's booze sales are provincially regulated, so booze delivery is not a normative thing here. I found a local craft beer delivery service for her... One issue down. Two weeks since I've been in a large-format food or other store, and not planning on doing so soon.

Praying a lot. And including you all, too.

• Love 10
13 hours ago, jpagan05 said:

@boes We watched the first ep of Making the Cut. I knew that person would go home. I do like their POV though. I would have been happy if the other one went too. Ugh, such an unnecessary aesthetic. I wish I could hug Tim Gunn. He is so anxious and shaky, exactly how I would be on TV. And when he cries, I cry.

I felt exactly the same way.  I loved that the designer who was sent home was intent on creating beauty for all sizes, not just the model thin.  There were some spectacular creations on the runway from several of the designers.  

I agree about Tim, he seems so genuine.  

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

At @peacheslatour loved that show. 

I saw a very disturbing video on social media yesterday that upset me the whole day. I worked after and when I got home and finally had time to myself allowed myself to cry, to cry myself asleep. As terrible as it is I know I need to know these things happened, it happened. 

I did. Vera's my girl.  I really need to get the whole run on dvd.

• Love 5

200130145143-wuhan.jpg

Coronavirus lockdowns have had an unintended benefit for the environment

Coronavirus preys on what terrifies us: dying alone

White House Coronavirus Task Force Briefing -- March 29, 2020

Trump backs off plan to reopen businesses by mid-April amid coronavirus warnings

Virus task force unanimously shunned Glorious Leader's quarantine idea -- Public health experts have criticized the idea of instituting statewide quarantines in “hot spots” like New York.

Coronavirus rattles America's national security priesthood -- Pandemic specialists long languished in an obscure corner of the U.S. foreign policy establishment. No longer.

Hawks no more: Fiscal conservatives embrace rescue package -- It's an election year.

purell-hand-sanitizer-nc-jc-200128_hpMai

How Purell cleaned up

50 TSA screening officers and 19 more employees test positive for coronavirus

Relief package billions can’t buy hospitals out of shortages -- Thank your bean counters and efficiency experts "On Time Delivery"

‘Life may change for us all’: How we respond to the coronavirus crisis will be defining, historians say -- Changing is already here.

The Epidemic That Preyed on Children -- “Do you want to spend the rest of your life in an iron lung?” Children heard these words during polio outbreaks when they begged to play outside.

800.jpeg

FDA issues emergency authorization of anti-malaria drug for coronavirus care -- The drugs have been championed by Glorious Leader for treatment despite scant evidence. 

Abbott wins U.S. approval for test that can detect coronavirus in minutes -- Related -- Glorious Leader announces new coronavirus test that can deliver results within five minutes

Virus test results in minutes? Scientists question accuracy

Instacart makes more changes ahead of planned worker strike

Farmworkers key to keeping US fed are wary of virus spread

Water shutoffs in sharp focus amid coronavirus outbreak

800.jpeg

In virus times, have Americans found a shared experience?

Commission Issues Verdict: Women, Like Men, Should Have To Sign Up For Draft

Judge says government must justify holding migrant children as coronavirus spreads

‘He’s Going to Do Whatever He Wants’ -- Jerry Falwell Jr.’s decision to reopen Liberty University’s campus amid the coronavirus pandemic has sparked anger and confusion, even among those usually sympathetic to him. -- Just like Senior.

Hundreds at Louisiana church flout COVID-19 gatherings ban

jp498northhavenharbor-773.jpg

A Tiny Island Tries to Shut Out the Virus -- And that means barring the wealthy who vacation there.

Virus prevention measures turn violent in parts of Africa

In Somalia, coronavirus goes from fairy tale to nightmare

Iran defends virus response as Syria reports first death

Coronavirus collides with Latin America’s maid culture, with sometimes deadly results

Brazil's Bolsonaro questions coronavirus deaths, says 'sorry, some will die'

Brazil’s Bolsonaro makes life-or-death coronavirus gamble

Exclusive: Brazil scales back environmental enforcement amid coronavirus

Largest US dam removal stirs debate over coveted West water

A missing boy and a freezing swamp test tracker’s instincts

maria-mercader.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&

CBS journalist Maria Mercader dies at 54 of coronavirus

John Prine Hospitalized In Critical Condition Following Coronavirus Symptoms

Joe Diffie, Nineties Country’s ‘Pickup Man,’ Dead at 61 -- Singer of hits like “John Deere Green” and “If the Devil Danced (In Empty Pockets)” tested positive for COVID-19 last week

‘I Love Rock and Roll’ co-writer Alan Merrill dies of virus complications

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 3

So, dear Preverts, how are you all as another week begins?  

I think of you, Petunia13, on the front lines with your work at the nursing home and all that entails along with the other stressors in life, and you, jewel21, with your job and trying to protect your grandfather's health.  And all of you who, along with the virus are facing economic uncertainty and concern for family and friends you can no longer reach out to in any way other than virtual.  Then there's the rollercoaster of anxiety and worry about possible exposure, maintaining supplies, etc.  I tend to keep those things inside and it's not always the best choice.  If you don't feel that you can express your worries at home, bring them here.  We're all in the same boat.

My cousin does definitely have the virus, her husband does not.  She's telling us all that her symptoms are mild and I hope that's true, though this is a woman who historically has downplayed her own issues rather than worry her loved ones.  I hope like hell this time she's telling us straight.  Time will tell.  I have nurse friends who are on the front lines and I worry about them, but so far, so good.

With everything going on I also feel grateful for everything we have.  We have a gracious and kind landlord, we have caring neighbors who watch out for us, we have a nice big back yard for the dog and any canine visitors.  Yesterday there was a pair of mallard ducks who decided to forage in our yard - my, they were pretty.  And that flock of wild turkeys has taken over the neighborhood.  With virtually no traffic, they're strutting their stuff as if they own the place.  So, this morning, I'm feeling grateful and relatively relaxed.  I bet by this afternoon my mood will have swung in a different direction, and then probably take another turn later.

But that's how things stand at this moment?

How are all of you, my lovely friends?

• Love 9

Thanks boes. I'm glad you're feeling ok this morning. I have been waking up feeling pretty good and then as the day goes on I feel more and more anxious. I've had to take Xanax a couple of times but usually I just gut it out until the cocktail hour. Then I just get numb.

• Love 4

I'm sort of bearing up. Almost. Anxiety levels change during the day--I try to manage in a kind of point-to-point way between things that were/may be still positive. A very mild annoyance or amusement [I can't tell the difference at the moment] are the lingerie ad links that show up with this site. I've never shopped for clothes online, much less scanties. I may look at china or grocery delivery sites, but no undies. Hmmm.

And cocktail hour, peaches? You mean trying to drink enough to stall the anxiety? Cocktail might be a bit of a diminutive term here.

Then I learn we should be washing our hands after handling/opening packages or mail, and groceries. If I had a shell, I think I'd curl up in it.

And joimaroxeu, thanks for the book recommendation--I got it today.

Your post was wonderful! I thank you, boes!

Edited by pearlite
  • Love 9