Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Calm Before The Storm

Jamie panics when he finds himself separated from Layla and Frankie just 24 hours before the end of the world, but his luck could be about to change when he strikes a deal with his grandmother. Meanwhile, a recent tragedy causes Sr Celine to return to Slough, the President gets a nasty shock when he arrives at the bunker and Rhonda and Leanne force down their last meal before facing the firing squad

Does anybody else want to smack Spike (Rhonda's son) into the middle of next week?

It may have been Scotty's fault that Rhonda was recaptured, but it's Spike's fault that she was in jail in the first place, given that she took the rap for his hacking.

It's all starting to come together, how all the characters are getting into the bunker. 

I just hope Jamie's grandmother has it well stocked!

• Love 4

I'm confused a bit about the family relationships.  Did Jude know Rhonda and Scotty?

Yeah, that confused me too. Rhonda seems to only think she has one brother.

Also, Wikipedia says Rhonda and Scotty are twins, which is odd because Fischer's a decade older than Soller. Did they ever actually say that on the show?

• Love 1

IIRC, it was mentioned on the show that Scotty and Rhonda are twins - I think Scotty mentioned it when he was feeling guilty about helping/not helping her.

Jude is I'd say, a good bit older than the other two and they likely haven't seen him since they were 'orphaned' aged 5.

So it's quite possible that they just don't remember an elder brother.

• Love 2

Jude was 14 when his father commited suicide. He was priest for 20 years. So he could be 40 or someting. MacNeils were 5 when they mother 'died'. Maybe they didn't know eachother. Jude was from Slough, Rhonda and Scotty were from Virginia, USA. Maybe Jude didn't know his mother?

• Love 1

I was starting to think I had dozed off during some important exposition.  There's a lot to be covered in the last episode. 

ETA:  So there are 2 bunkers that we've seen, right?  The one in Virginia with all the women and the one in Slough?  I'm trying to think what a second season might look like. Surely any countries with nuclear weapons have something similar.  As well as rich survivalists or paranoids like Sutton.   

Edited by tessaray
  • Love 2

Jude was 14 when his father commited suicide. He was priest for 20 years. So he could be 40 or someting. MacNeils were 5 when they mother 'died'. Maybe they didn't know eachother. Jude was from Slough, Rhonda and Scotty were from Virginia, USA. Maybe Jude didn't know his mother?

Jude was 18 when he got Mary pregnant, and Jamie & Ariel are 30, so Jude is 48/49. 

If Rhonda and Scotty were 5 when they were 'orphaned', their father can't have been more than 5 years dead, which means that Jude would have been at most 19 when his mother faked her death.   We don't know who raised the twins after that, but presumably it wasn't Jude, so it's likely they haven't met each other in the subsquent 30 odd years which would explain why they don't know each other.

I don't think Jude was ever from Slough, AFAIK, Slough was just where Mary was living and I got the impression that Jude was on a trip around Europe when he hooked up with her.

• Love 2

I knew something was up when Scotty's partner came out to the President, but I was truly surprised when he assassinated the man.

I'm having a hard time believing that neither Layla nor Frankie realized they had the wrong twin, but oh well. I wonder if Grandma will realize before it's too late.

• Love 2

I'm having a hard time believing that neither Layla nor Frankie realized they had the wrong twin, but oh well. I wonder if Grandma will realize before it's too late.

I was sure that Frankie would sense that something was off.  It could still happen.  

Have we been seeing both bunkers in the opening?  One with Jamie and his mom, a different one with Rhonda?  Or does Rhonda somehow end up in Slough? 

I feel bad -- wanting the characters whom I've come to know to survive -- but they're killing people in order for that to happen.

• Love 3

Are we actually seeing Ariel in the bunker and not Jamie? 

I think Rhonda and Scotty (and whoever else from the jailbreak) are on their way to Slough.  Grandmother's representative who was there with Spike and Rhonda's husband was there to take them to Grandmother's bunker in Slough, wasn't she?

• Love 2

I guess that's the $64,000 question. Although it seems as if Jamie might be saved from the comet as well if he's trapped in the vault. At this point I'm assuming the show ends exactly where it begins every episode - with everyone in the bunker watching the end of the world being broadcast on the TV. Ratings have been awful so I don't expect a second season. 

I loved seeing June Whitfield as God but I don't understand what she expects Sister Celine to accomplish at this point.

• Love 4

The twin in the bunker is wearing the blue shirt that we saw on Jamie in the vault.  So, I think it's Jamie, not Ariel.

The American soldier who is covered in blood must be Scotty.

Sister Celine is in there too, and after one night of wedded bliss with a member of this family, she must be pregnant.

• Love 4

I too now wonder if its Ariel we've been seeing all season at the start of the episodes.I think Frankie may sense something is off, was surprised Layla/Hawkwind didn't realize it wasn't Jamie. Actually I found it odd that they all seemed to forget that Ariel was still out there, and likely plotting to get back at them. Jamie let Frankie and Layla just go off on their own, and no one seemed to give Ariel a second thought.

• Love 3

I think Rhonda and Scotty (and whoever else from the jailbreak) are on their way to Slough.  Grandmother's representative who was there with Spike and Rhonda's husband was there to take them to Grandmother's bunker in Slough, wasn't she?

As meep.meep said, the twin in the bunker is wearing a blue shirt that we saw Jamie wearing.

If they're all in the same bunker, that means Rhonda and Spike will be flying from the US to Great Britain.  How will they manage that?

• Love 1

I was able to employ suspension of disbelief for much of the series, but all the wanton murder at the beginning of the episode was upsetting. you don't just go assasinating the president of the United states - what for? Gaines couldve just disappeared into the bunker and not let the Prez know anything. Rhonda sentenced to hanging by midnight? hello? Even when the death penalty is imposed, it's not via hanging - it's via lethal injection or firing squad - and it's not that same day. Rhonda wasn't the worst terrorist the US ever saw. If they were going to start executing all their worst prisoners, she didnt have to be the first one to be seen. And if the state of emergency had been lifted, why couldnt she get a normal trial? Ugh, this show was indeed not written by an american.

• Love 1

Big Mother, yeah, the stuff with Rhonda is perplexing.  She's being railroaded and there's no logical reason for it.  Why are those judges and guards spending their last hours on Earth bringing Rhonda to "justice"?  I'm not sure of the timing, but don't they know that Savior failed?  Why aren't they with their families?

I'm okay with the President being killed.  He was an ass ("wife in menopause").  Gaines was right -- he's not the kind of person to lead whatever's left of the country. 

• Love 4

"The twin in the bunker is wearing the blue shirt that we saw on Jamie in the vault.  So, I think it's Jamie, not Ariel." -Sharp eyes, and good call.

Gaines killed the president as if he had been in there, he would have impregnated all the women and ruined the plan to repopulate based on genetic diversity. It was a shocker though, I didn't see that coming. 

"Rhonda sentenced to hanging by midnight? hello? Even when the death penalty is imposed, it's not via hanging - it's via lethal injection or firing squad - and it's not that same day. Rhonda wasn't the worst terrorist the US ever saw." --yes, this was a bit of comedic exaggeration here. They were showing the irrationality that can take hold when there's an emergency. And of course the U.K. doesn't even have the death penalty (I believe) and we seem pretty barbaric to them in that respect.

• Love 1

Thanks for the blue shirt observation. I had been wondering if Ariel killed Dave and mum before returning to Layla and Frankie-- also, come to think of it, how would he know where Layla and Frankie were, since they were not staying at home but were in that vacation rental, right? But if he didn't kill Dave and mum, and they saw Jamie in the monitor, J could have told them to code to open the vault, and then the three of them could have fetched Layla and Frankie, while Ariel was running off to the wrong location. Or, Dave and mum could have subdues Ariel and left him in the vault in the process of rescuing Jamie. They didn't show us how the scene at the bank ended, so I shouldn't have assumed.

The president and the first lady were bimbos. Selfish, shallow, ego-maniacal bimbos.

What did Scotty say to Gaines as he was taking off his shirt when he went into the house not knowing anyone else was there?

Something about his privates standing at attention. I guess they were planning to have sex before the end of the world, go out with a bang, as it were. I liked seeing Scotty loosened up, though I was upset that he seemed to have stopped caring about Rhonda until Spike intervened.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 2

also, come to think of it, how would he know where Layla and Frankie were, since they were not staying at home but were in that vacation rental, right?

They showed Ariel looking through a phone, I assume he took Jamie's phone and tracked them that way, although superior hacker that he is he likely could have figured it out another way. I think he didn't kill Dave and Paula as he doesn't want to run the risk of tipping off grandma that he's not Jamie. She does have connections, although rather faulty in some respects -ie didn't know about Jamie until this episode.

• Love 1

Ariel stole Jamie's phone when he knocked him out, and checked it to see where Layla was.

we saw Dave in the bunker in a previous episode, so i assume he made it there.

I kept waiting for Dave and paula to look up at the vault monitor and see jamie there.

I thought layla would know a difference between ariel and jamie based on how he kissed her; i'm sure they both don't kiss the exact same way.

Shame that ther eis so much enmity between two identical twin brothers. amazing how one of them grew up so evil and one so sweet!

• Love 1

Good call on the blue shirt.

I assume (and we know what happens when we do that!) that Grandmother sent her henchperson to the US in a private jet, and that's how the US contingent will get to Slough.

• Love 1

We saw Paula in the bunker at the beginning of this episode also.  So our lovebirds will be together!

I thought this was the final one.....I have to wait until next week to see if God saves them?