Type keyword(s) to search

Cake Wars - General Discussion

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

Regarding the dinosaur episode...it was pretty cute. I have to say that I laughed and laughed when I saw the male baker's triceratops figure in the batter up round. That might have been the most pitiful figure ever. That was a dinosaur??? I sure wouldn't rush to his bakery next week for a cake. I have never, and will probably never, use fondant and I bet I could have done a better job with one hand tied behind my back. The chick in that round that burned her lemongrass simple syrup to smithereens..well, you are a moron. Anyone in a competition for money who can't multitask or set a timer is a fool.

The top two creations were impressive. The second place baker did have the extra large dino and the hard to find cake feature was lame but the sculpting and coloring were great and the circus idea with the awesome T Rex was brilliant. I did agree that Brie should have won. Her beach party was so cute and I loved the dinos with the modern technology, especially the dino taking an actual selfie. I think her daughter (granddaughter?) was the sculptor. She is a keeper!

• Love 3

The woman who did the sculpturing on the winning team was Brie's granddaughter. I am thinking she must be a step granddaughter or they have babies really young in her family or Brie is in great shape for an 80-year old. 

During the first round, I was waiting for the guest judge to tell Brie that there is no such thing as a Brontosaurus.  When he didn't, I checked and it appears Scientists have decided that Brontosauruses (Brontosauri?) did exist after all.  However, I thought he was wrong when he called one dino an Apatosaurus because T-Rex and the Brontosaurus (?) weren't alive at the same time - the challenge was based on dinosaurs still being alive today.  If they never went extinct, then they would all be alive today, even if they didn't start out in the same time period. 

If you are going to hammer a dowel through your almost finished cake and you have at least two other people watching you do it, one of them should have pointed out that you were putting the dowel at an angle.  

And if you are going to put a warm rice cereal sculpture on your cake, you shouldn't' be surprised that it is falling apart. 

And, if you want anyone to ever ask your bakery to do anything other than a basic sheet cake, at least smooth out the fondant on your crappy sculpture of a baby Triceratops, 

Regarding the dinosaur episode...it was pretty cute. I have to say that I laughed and laughed when I saw the male baker's triceratops figure in the batter up round. That might have been the most pitiful figure ever. That was a dinosaur??? I sure wouldn't rush to his bakery next week for a cake. I have never, and will probably never, use fondant and I bet I could have done a better job with one hand tied behind my back. 

And with your eyes closed, while standing outside in a hurricane!  

• Love 2

Alice in Wonderland: I nearly passed out on the floor when I saw Kaysie Lackey assisting the girl who ended up winning. An actual Challenge competitor! A good one! Totes not surprised that their work was far and above the best. And I never even really liked Kaysie.

The "Big Catastrophe" flew on and off the screen so fast I had a hard time figuring out if it was contrived or reenacted, or not.

That Alice was terrifying.

I am really wondering if these "parties" to "celebrate" the XXth "anniversary" of random movies, are made for TV or were already happening.

• Love 5

It's a shame that the huge Alice was so awful because the small characters, especially the caterpillar, were terrific.  The judges made the right decisions all through this episode AFAIC.  I thought the fellow from Disney was the best guest judge they've had.  He seemed interested in the cakes and made valid comments rather than just echoing the regular judges or mumbling niceties.  I got a kick out of him at the party biting the head off the Red Queen.

I am really wondering if these "parties" to "celebrate" the XXth "anniversary" of random movies, are made for TV or were already happening.

I've wondered the same thing many times myself.

I didn't understand the "disaster" of the one cake being put down facing away from the judges and needing to be moved.  Every week we see baking assistants wheel those carts out and spin them into place.  Seems to me they could have just turned the whole thing.

• Love 3

I just got around to watching this today and I may have nightmares about that huge Alice tonight. I agree with everyone else...those small characters were so charming and well executed and then you have the gargantuan focus of the display and it was scary. It looked like Alice on meth. Please, Alice, go to rehab! The runner up cake was cute but had no personality. The winning cake was brilliant from top to bottom. I loved the painted detail on the teacup and teapot. Those gold bands really made them look like porcelain. And that mirror..what a lovely work of art. The fake disaster of it falling on the floor when first made was ridiculous. I can't imagine a professional leaving it there in the way while constructing another piece. And then the losing baker burning her jam. Yet again we have a baker who doesn't own a timer!

That guest judge was awesome in his critiques. As mlp said, it was cute the way he bit the head off the queen. Ron looked adorable in his pink suit. I never watched his Sweet Genius show but now wish I had. He is a great judge, his smile is so sweet and I want to be his friend.

• Love 1

I'm a big Punisher fan and there was once a famous Archie/Punisher crossover comic (yes really). Would have been thrilled to see someone play off that. Pipe dream on my part.

Wasn't it weird that there really was no Jughead front and center? It all seemed to be about Archie and the girls.

• Love 1

Season Four (according to Food Network) began last week with a Captain America theme.  Last night's theme was Spongebob Squarepants.  I noticed that the judges now visit the bakers as they work. 

The Captain America episode didn't do much for me since I'm not into the whole super hero thing, but I enjoyed SpongeBob, especially the guy who does his voice. And I thought the three finalists all did a great job, but boy, that one patty wagon was huge! I wanted to try her cake though. And I keep loving Ron. He is so adorable and has constructive criticism without being mean. As I think I've said before, this show is a nice escape from the world news and violence.

• Love 1

I hope every episode is not going to be cartoon themed. I like Spongebob too, but I would like to see more serious contests like possibly wedding cakes, anniversary cakes or well anything that doesn't seem like it is for children. I liked all the final SB cakes and i always love Tom Kenny but I kept wishing he would talk like Spongebob and I didn't hear it if he did.

• Love 3

Tom Kenny did do the SpongeBob voice a few times, mainly early in the episode, but not enough! Next week is Charlie Brown's All Stars. I agree that they should incorporate other challenges such as a retirement cake based on the retiree's plans or interests, wedding, anniversary, maybe even divorce! 

They used to do that...back when this show was called Food Network  Challenge.  They even threw in a non-cake episode every so often.  With the deck being stacked with bakers on NFNS, I'm kinda hoping they're planning in bringing back Challenge and dropping the winner there. OTOH, most of the bakers on there annoy me so it's kinda of a wash.  

• Love 2

I really enjoyed the Charlie Brown episode. That one British baker's characters were so perfect throughout, although she ran out of time in the first round and didn't have time to finish Snoopy. Too bad her final cake was too sweet. I agreed with Kelly, the guy who won, that you don't have to present the tallest cake known to mankind....just get the characters executed perfectly. He deserved the win. And what high praise indeed for the lady who had the weepy meltdown that her cake might be the most delicious that Ron had ever eaten. Wow, that is a supreme consolation for a baker! 

Next week is How to Train Your Dragon. Eh....I'll record but am not interested and am not familiar with the characters.

• Love 2

The Charlie Brown episode was the first one with which I've been impressed.  The winners was esp. good.  I pretty much stopped watching because I have been so unimpressed week after week.  I'm sure they are good bakers and designers, but the format doesn't allow for their best.  Why do they have to have an elimination at the beginning, for example.    The show doesn't have to be just like Food Network Challenge,  (pity) but they could do more to let the contestants shine.

• Love 1

The elimination that bothers me is the second one when they announce the worst of the final 3 and send them packing.  That has to be difficult if not humiliating for the #3 baker.  I wish they'd just announce the winner from the 3 left.  The end result would be the same.

Otherwise, I like the show.  Jonathan Bennett is goofy but I like him and I like Waylon Lucas and adore Ron Ben-Israel.  Most of the guest judges have been fine too.  I like the fact that they always have a connection to the topic. 

I agree that the bakers need more time but, OTOH, they know how much time they'll have so they should plan accordingly.  Creating something with dozens of details that is so tall and heavy they can barely move it is foolhardy.

• Love 1

Watched all three in the last couple nights. I'm ready for a departure from the cartoon characters/movies. A couple each season are nice, but too many just gets bland. I do like that they bring in good guest judges, and I was impressed they actually got the guy who voices SpongeBob, not getting one of the B-characters. I don't mind the format and fortunately the talent is improving. On the SpongeBob one, all 4 did an excellent job decorating. I was bummed for Forgot The Sugar, since she seemed to have some good skills in decorating. But seriously, how do you forget the sugar?! Her talking heads in which she totally owned the boneheaded mistake were sufficiently self-deprecating and humorous.

Honestly my biggest complaint about this show is that nobody knows which season is it, and FN, the cable company, and our Android TV player on which we play our recorded TV shows, never agree on what season it is and never categorize correctly.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed the Charlie Brown episode, even though I liked the British woman's final design the best.  I also like that it's not the same contestants over and over again like I felt other incarnations of cake wars/halloween wars/whatever wars have been.

• Love 1

You know I just realized that this competition would be a lot better if they just eliminated the first round cake.  The first round cake always look horrible and none have impressed me thus far.  That is because they have incorporate weird ingredients and do it in a ridiculous amount of time.

I know they do this to ape Cupcake Wars, but cakes take more time then cupcakes.  I always like to see a professional looking innovative final product and this could help.

I think they should just start off with three bakers and forget about the early eliminations round.

• Love 7
(edited)

I totally agree qtpye.  I think your suggestions would make the show a bit more like the old Challenge and greatly improve it.

Another suggestion would be to replace their make up "artist."  Someone removes character from faces with too much flat base and then over-emphasizes eyebrows.  Sometimes, when they show a couple Cake Wars back-to-back, Waylon looks quite different because of the way she was made up.  I've seen Jonathan Bennett on a couple other shows and he's quite good-looking.  On Cake Wars, he's sort of cute but all the character in his face has been erased.  The female contestants often have way too much eye make up on.

Edited by mlp
  • Love 2

The most recent episode has to be an all-time low for me. It was about some cobra themed roller coaster. I had to force myself to sit through it. None of the final cakes looked good and were certainly not celebratory. Actually, one wound up on the floor because the fool made the entire huge vertical cobra out of cake and not rice treats. I don't remember if it had a support dowel, but whether it did or not, I hope everyone brought their dogs to enjoy it when it crashed to the floor. Just kidding....I don't feed my dog cake or chocolate. I laughed when it crashed!

Looks like the next episode is Beauty and the Beast. Eh, not a big fan but those characters are so iconic that surely someone will rock it. 

• Love 4

I really miss the old "Challenge" format as well. I think they had 8 hours to work on the cakes and what they ended up with was usually amazing. These are much more sloppy and not nearly as creative. The quality has really gone down with the time rush (and lower level/skill of competitors too, maybe?)

• Love 8

I like the first round cake because I do get the feeling they have to do it on the fly, to some degree. I am super duper tired of them giving them some normal, some weirder ingredients, and then whining when people use the normal ingredients and don't 'elevate' them into nirvana or whatever. If you don't want to eat apple cake, don't give them apples. If you want to eat all herring cakes, then only give them herring.

I had no idea there was a world to emoji, and I probably regret letting my 6 and 7 year olds watch the emoji one because now they're going to be talking about them. Also, do you think that Ron Ben-Israel's FB is all emoji? Or that he and Waylynn text in emoji?

• Love 1

Re the Beauty and the Beast episode:  The judges apparently didn't listen to their own brief.  They didn't ask for a cake that told a story, it was to make B&B's wedding cake.  I thought the woman who came in second nailed that.  That was a great wedding cake and the dancing figures were genius.  Too bad about the taste.

The one that won was okay, but it was really just three giant character figures with one holding a cake.  Was any other part of it actual cake except the small cake the candlestick was holding?   It sounded like it tasted great though.

I thought all three final cakes were better than most cakes on this show.  I agree the third place one looked weird, though, and disjointed.

• Love 4

I agree. ^^^^^^  Also, I heard one of the judges, Ron I think, say very specifically that the cakes should feature the castle.  The one that won did not and no one said anything.  

The huge gala celebration at the end looked more like a small family party to me.  I always have the impression that the parties at the end are just thrown together with friends of the winner and some extras.

• Love 2

The winning cake also didn't show any Beauty and the Beast figures, unless I missed them.  Other than that I didn't really mind the winning cake.

On another note, could someone tell the host that he already got the gig.  Lately, he seems to be trying way too hard to be funny.  I liked him before,  but he has been a bit much recently.

Top 10 of Beauty & the Beast:

1) Orlando Serrano! Miguel's assistant and, apparently, husband. (Bits they never mentioned back on Food Network Challenge) Although FNC Orlando would not want to admit to that first round cake, it looked terrible. For that matter, I wonder if Orlando was on that FNC B&B cakes. I know he did a Toy Story one.

2) Lady cut in the first round.... I'm sure she is a very nice person and I hate to judge on this but her voice was really annoying.

3) The judges were being very, very kind judging those first round cakes, they all looked like crap.

4) Lady with too much eyeliner - chocolate mud cake with orange liqueur sounds amazing.

5) Jonathan Bennett kind of grates but while I'm reminiscing about FNC - he is a million times better than Claire Robinson was, and doesn't pretend to know about cake when he obviously doesn't.

6) Short haired lady's characters are amazing. Except that half beast/half prince guy, he's kinda weird looking.

7) I have a strong suspicion that the judges are told when to visit each contestant's kitchen, and intentionally arrive at the most inconvenient times. We lost the Big Catastrophe and this is what we get. Booooooring.

8) Miguel/Orlando - what the heck happened between Challenge and now? 

9) Short hair's design is better, too much eyeliner's execution is better. 

10) There is no way that was actually a party, just the competitors' friends.

• Love 1

I was happy to see Orlando because he brought back fond memories of Challenge.  I didn't think there was anything strange about him acting as an assistant to Miguel.  I've seen other chefs and bakers do the same.  Richard Ruskell was one of the best and I can think of several times he acted as sous to someone else.  

I loved Claire Robinson.  I like Jonathan Bennett too but they're quite different.

The DVR didn't record the Beauty and the Beast episode.  Is it worth watching trying to find a way to see it? Note: I watch this show primarily to see someone make a beautiful cake and to try to figure out of the Big Catastrophe was re-enacted or not (if the none of the cakes were wonderful and there was no big catastrophe, I would skip it).

On 7/20/2016 at 0:31 PM, Spunkygal said:

Actually, one wound up on the floor because the fool made the entire huge vertical cobra out of cake and not rice treats. I don't remember if it had a support dowel, but whether it did or not, I hope everyone brought their dogs to enjoy it when it crashed to the floor. Just kidding....I don't feed my dog cake or chocolate. I laughed when it crashed!

It looked to me like she built the whole thing out of cake and didn't use a dowel.  However, she mentioned that the weight of the rice cakes was making the bottom crack. I don't know what was going on with that thing, but there seemed to be no logic to it.  Have to give her props for trying to finish, because she had no hope of anything better than 3rd place, even if the cake made it to the podium.  

On 7/20/2016 at 4:00 PM, ElleBee said:

I really miss the old "Challenge" format as well. I think they had 8 hours to work on the cakes and what they ended up with was usually amazing. These are much more sloppy and not nearly as creative. The quality has really gone down with the time rush (and lower level/skill of competitors too, maybe?)

And their cakes were already baked so they spent the whole 8 hours decorating. However, there were usually only two people on a team the whole time, instead of getting the 2 extra helpers. I wonder if most contestants would prefer 3 more hours and no extra help, or the shorter time with assistants - I would think the former.  

• Love 3

I hate that they have to move the cakes with only 4 people. I don't understand why they insist on that, other than the "suspense." I always change the channel when the time to move the cakes arrives. 

Edited by corinne
  • Love 2

I like seeing the cake artists at work.  They're more clever than I am.  What I don't like are the phony parts that are so transparent that I wonder how the producers can possibly think viewers are fooled.  Right at the beginning when Jonathan announces the challenge, the bakers all act like they're totally surprised.  Then they go to their stations and the lead person sketches out a design and talks about it as if that plan hadn't been made long before they arrived.  Later in the show, they act all surprised again when Ron and Waylynn visit their stations.  Even if they never watched the show (highly unlikely), the judges are just steps away in the same room so their arrival isn't  exactly unannounced.

• Love 1

I wish they would change up this show and make it more like the Halloween Bake off shows. On those shows they have interesting (and separate) challenges and have baking components like adding in a cookie or candy that goes along with the theme. On this show the only criteria seems to be making a really tall cake that may or may not fall when transported to a stand. The judges do mention taste but it's obvious the cake that will look the best at the sponsor party will win.

I also think the judges are too dour and it doesn't match with the endless cartoon themes and Jonathan's goofy antics. When they walk around and talk to the contestants it is never with the idea of being helpful but rather sneering at everything they are trying to do and then saying "Well I hope your right" then turning away dramatically. 

In the Paddington Bear challenge, the judges drove me crazy by insisting that nothing was telling a story. If you want a very tall cake, you have limitations in matching up with a written story. On top of that they have little time and limitations with frosting that you do not have with ink. I thought the one really nice bear looked fine and the bear with the wonky arm and all white face looked awful. In the jelly belly challenge they kept talking about the importance of facial expressions on the jelly beans and then picked the other cake anyway. 

I wish they would cut out the corporate sponsors and make beautiful wedding cakes, seasonal cakes and maybe other themes than children's characters. 

• Love 9

I enjoyed seeing Richard Ruskell again.  He was one of my favorites on Challenge.  It took me a second to recognize him though.  Either he's put on a lot of weight or the beard makes his face look fat.  He's definitely qualified to judge cakes and sugar so I hope he shows up on FN again.

I felt a bit sorry for the guy whose cake fell apart.  I don't think his design would have won anyway but that had to be embarrassing, especially since he'd been warned.

I'm still wondering why Waylon doesn't seem to notice how bad her makeup person is.  Doesn't she ever look in a mirror?  Every week her eyebrows are a different grotesque shape.  I can't be the only one who notices that.

On 9/12/2016 at 8:26 PM, mlp said:

I enjoyed seeing Richard Ruskell again.  He was one of my favorites on Challenge.  It took me a second to recognize him though.  

Oh my gosh, I didn't even recognize him until I read your post. Like you, he was one of my favorites on Challenge. I was really missing Ron Ben-Israel, but now that you've helped me make the connection for Richard Ruskell, I'm okay. (I do miss Sweet Genius, though, and liked Challenge better than Cake Wars - which I only watch for RB-I.)

• Love 1

I knew Richard Ruskell was going to be on this one because of the posts above but I never would have recognized him except for his voice, which I apparently still recognize even though the last challenge I watched was like four years ago.

These endless cartoon themes are really getting old.

• Love 3

I knew Richard Ruskell was going to be on this one because of the posts above but I never would have recognized him except for his voice, which I apparently still recognize even though the last challenge I watched was like four years ago.

Yep.  That's how I recognized him too.  I'd thought he looked vaguely familiar but didn't realize who he was until I heard his voice which I knew immediately.

Says with shaky voice and trembling lower lip...is Ron no longer a judge??? I'll admit that I have deleted some episodes when the featured cartoon character is not one I'm too familiar with so maybe something was said about Ron being replaced and I missed it?

• Love 1

The past two episodes with Richard (Powerpuff Girls and Wonder Woman) are listed as season 5, so yes it appears Ron is out.  He's also been replaced on Halloween Baking Championship by the Italian Ham Damanio.  It looks like he might have ended his involvement with FN.

Well, if that's the case, I'm out too. All these cartoon, comic book, animated characters themes don't hold my interest on their own and I'm only so-so on Waylynn. Happy baking, Cake Wars fans! May your buttercream never separate and your caramel sauce not burn!

CherZ, I am leaving because I actually love RBI! I personally don't think he is too picky, but YMMV. If he's not on there, then I am less interested in watching. If the powers-that-be were to introduce more interesting themes or occasions, I might return but the cartoony stuff does nothing for me. 

• Love 1

I like Richard Ruskell (his nasty behavior on that extended competition version of Challenge that I can't remember the name of notwithstanding) enough that I'm still game. I really with they would come up with more interesting themes though. Whatever focus group is telling them they love endless cartoons, needs to stop. Something, ANYTHING to change it up would be super.

Did anyone see last night's episode about The Addams Family?   No one really got any of the characters right, but one baker's Morticia looked a lot like Angelica Huston.  They warned one baker that they didn't understand his interpretation, but he got defensive and said he stood by his design.  Buh-bye.  Can we just stop pretending that we remember every single episode of every single show we watched when we were growing up?  It seems to me we watched every single episode of The Brady Bunch a zillion times but the only episode I really remember is when Marsha's face got smashed with the football.  Oh how we laughed about that!  "Oh my nose!" over and over again.  Now that would be a funny Cake Wars episode.

• Love 3

I thought the winner did a pretty good job with the characters, especially Gomez.  No one got Morticia just right.  

I didn't understand the guy who was doing his own interpretation at all.  His big ego must have made him believe he could make a tiered cake with characters that looked nothing like the Addams Family.  The judges tried to tell him and he wouldn't listen.  I don't imagine he helped his business with that attitude.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Did anyone see last night's episode about The Addams Family?   No one really got any of the characters right, but one baker's Morticia looked a lot like Angelica Huston.  They warned one baker that they didn't understand his interpretation, but he got defensive and said he stood by his design.  Buh-bye.  Can we just stop pretending that we remember every single episode of every single show we watched when we were growing up?  It seems to me we watched every single episode of The Brady Bunch a zillion times but the only episode I really remember is when Marsha's face got smashed with the football.  Oh how we laughed about that!  "Oh my nose!" over and over again.  Now that would be a funny Cake Wars episode.

One of the Brady episodes we still remember and sadly quote often is "porkchops and applesauce!" The kids next door are now 12 and 14 and even they think it's funny! 

I love the Addams Family and was disappointed in the characters. I don't remember specific episodes of that show but anything with great detail would have been great. And I appreciate this CW episode for reminding me that the kids next door have not seen this series or the Munsters. We watched ET together three years ago and they thought it was great. I was worried it wouldn't have enough special extraterrestrial effects, even though I thought it was awesome back then, but they loved it. Back to CW..I still miss Ron!!!

• Love 2

I miss Ron too.  His Wikipedia page still says he's on Cake Wars, so I hope he comes back.

One of the Brady episodes we still remember and sadly quote often is "porkchops and applesauce!" The kids next door are now 12 and 14 and even they think it's funny! 

That made me remember the episode where Marcia went to prom with Davy Jones, which reminds me of when I went to prom with Peter Frampton.  That's a lie. 

Next time I watch Cake Wars I need to listen to the host explain where the cake will be served.  It seems to me he says something about a huge event celebrating (insert cartoon character here) but when I watch the end of the show, there always seems to be about 10 children eating cake.  Are they dragging cakes down to the local Chuck E Cheese or something for a bday party?

• Love 2

Sadly, there is some behind the scenes reason that RBI is no longer on Food Network. Check out his twitter. Many, many fans have asked him to return and he has responded everytime that it is up to Food Network. I get the feeling he would be happy to return.  I don't know if he was asking too much money or what the issue is. Whatever the case, I really miss him.

BTW, I went to the prom with Bobby Sherman! Ha!! Oh, I am so old! 

• Love 1

I went to prom with Justin Timberlake, or so I would have wished at the time. :-)

I confess I had no idea that the Addams Family was originally a comic strip. And I was bummed we didn't get to hear do do do-do (snap snap) [in other words, the theme song], which is also about the only thing I know about the Addams Family other than a handful of the names and that Uncle Fester is bald.

And this, of course, is the problem with the endless cartoon characters/franchise themes, is that if you don't have any particular interest in whatever cultural phenomenon is the theme du jour, then the show is not exceptionally interesting. More general themes would be a lot more interesting.

Jonathan did in fact use the words "huge party" and I would not be in the least bit surprised if the "huge party" were held on the other side of the Cake Wars set - the "background" behind the kids eating cake was obviously a black curtain and I will personally bet all the change in the bottom of my purse that behind that curtain, was the set. I also highly suspect the "guests" at the party are the kids and maybe significant others of the competitors.

• Love 1

Saw the magic themed contest and was underwhelmed.  Maybe they HAVE run out of ideas.  Why would anyone wear a winter ski cap when she's baking cakes?  I think I would have done a huge top hat made out of cake and had a rabbit shaped cake inside that could have been pulled out.

• Love 2