Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E06: Our Little World

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

My! I liked it.

Let's see...

Demon!Dean = "Summer of Love". Okay. O.o

As others have pointed out, wallpaper...from Changing Channels. Jim Michaels tweeted that they were "just recycling". As if. This is the crew that did that whole "no smoke"/"wing"/"positive" thing. The majority of set decisions they make that catch people's attention have reason and purpose. So: hints of Gabriel.

Poor Cas, dealing with trauma by burying himself in the tube and having flashbacks so bad he just turns right around and retreats back into the TV. :-(

Dean is creepily obsessed with killing again, and it's growing. I'm beginning to think the "effect of the Mark" may actually have been the "effect of the Darkness", and it's coming back, slowly but steadily.

So if Goldie was de-souled, why'd she help the boys trap errand-demon?

I always thought Crowley's "castle" was a warehouse he glommed onto and renovated...

Why'd Dean keep that voicemail from Crowley? Bromance indeed.

Threatening Crowley! Daddy Crowley dealing with a sullen teen! Crowley secretly reading parenting books! Crowley planning to kill Dean! (But he doesn't do it. Because Amara? Or because he really doesn't want to?)

So Amara whaps Crowley over the head with her laptop. THEN she starts using her powers all of a sudden? What, did they just *poof!* on, fully functional, in the space of a few seconds?

Metadouche being beaten by Cas was satisfying. But, unfortunately, I think Rowena's rabid dog spell has had some lingering effects, and Cas's fear of what he might do if he lets himself go was one reason he was hiding in the bunker and didn't dare go out. So the Darkness is God's sibling, who he had to sacrifice somehow to get creation going? Sounds very Egyptian or Indian mythology.

Amara holding Dean in a stupor...hmmm.

The Cage! Oh, yeah. "A tribute to Henning", riiight, Jim Michaels. Poor Sam still has no idea why he's having these particular visions.

Cas and Sam all suspicious about Dean letting Amara live. Dunno...maybe they're suspicious because he hadno real signs of a struggle against a deity-level individual?

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole "Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon" scene. I think Dean is mesmerized by her, but I don't think he finds it sexual.

Over all, I really liked it. There's a lot of speculation in tumblr and Twitter-land about Dean being soulless, but I think he's just being seriously affected by his binding to the Darkness (as above).

• Love 1

Adult!Amara was the first version Dean saw so them having an attraction vibe back then is not a problem IMO. It was before the baby and the teenager. And in this episode, Dean showed no sexual attration to me. A teen crushing on him is not his problem. Teen girls crush on (much) older men all the time. I don`t think that is creepy, I find that pretty normal. This very fandom is full of it even.

I've not seen ONE person here say or imply it's abnormal for teen girls to crush on older men. Teen boys crush on older women too. Teens in general crush on a lot of people older than them. That's not the issue for me. I won't speak for others. This is specifically about the nature of Dean's relationship with Amara, not about a regular teen girl crushing on an older man

It was essentially an in-media-res opening, with Dean and Amara back in 11.01.  The first shot of Amara, she had an almost childlike quality when she peers at Dean over her shoulder in a rather girlish way but then she advances and gets up in his business, staring up at his lips and he's staring at hers by the end of the episode.  If they didn't mean to do that...well the actors screwed up and the director let it stand or it's completely intentional.  So because it was in-media-res, i have no reason to think they are still not going for a sexual frisson when we see adult!Amara with Dean. 

Dean has always had children in and out of his life. He's dealt with teenage girls for a long time now without any of them particularly crushing on Dean nor behaving seductively and he behaved as big brother/father figure to them see Krissy and Claire. Of course in  Halt and Catch Fire he was checking out 19 year olds...so I don't know how the writers really view Dean in relation to teenage girls. 

I'll feel much more comfortable with this whole thing when Dean shows unambiguously this is beyond his control.

I'll feel much more comfortable with this whole thing when Dean shows unambiguously this is beyond his control.

And see, I don`t think he has done anything wrong so far. He has not shown to be perving on teen!Amara here. So why - at this point - does he need a supernatural excuse for indecent behaviour? Isn`t it still innocent until proven guilty? It is almost like his character is branded a pedophile just because SHE showed attraction to HIM. He can`t help that, he can`t help what age her vessel currently is in. He just stood there, creeped out by her and the fact that he couldn`t readily make an attempt on her life. I feel like the character is getting attacked over stuff he didn`t do.

As for showing in general that Amara has a weird hold over him, I believe they did that here. Just that I only saw it extending - on his part - to an inability to kill her. Not to attraction, not to anything else. On her part, she is fascinated. 

Edited by Aeryn13
  • Love 8

I never said nor implied Dean did anything wrong here with teen!Amara. I have no idea how you got that out of my comment.

I'm talking about how the entire thing is being played out from 11.01 to now. I'm saying they have set up Dean and Amara with sexual tension from the get go. But having Dean see Amara at various stages of infancy to adult and then go back to sexual frisson with her is bad no matter what. That's the entire problem for me. Gods forbid he actually sleeps her.  But if he does the show must make it 100% clear it's because Dean is not have his own sound mind and body.  

Edited by catrox14

I have no idea how their next interaction is going to go. There was somewhat of a sexual tension in their first interaction. Now, if Dean sees the adult version again, maybe he is permanently too freaked out by what he learned about Amara so their dynamic has shifted. I don`t know that. 

Regardless of how they play it, I take it over Sam the lynchpin of the mytharc and his vision quest to the mythical cage. That bugs me so much more than just about anything they could do with Dean and Amara.

• Love 2

I have no idea how their next interaction is going to go. There was somewhat of a sexual tension in their first interaction. Now, if Dean sees the adult version again, maybe he is permanently too freaked out by what he learned about Amara so their dynamic has shifted. I don`t know that. 

Regardless of how they play it, I take it over Sam the lynchpin of the mytharc and his vision quest to the mythical cage. That bugs me so much more than just about anything they could do with Dean and Amara.

Seems to me they purposefully recreated the opening scene but added the face touching and basically affirmed that she has imprinted upon him. Dean is well and truly fucked right now...I hope that's all the fucking that happens between Dean and Amara. 

I do believe there is more than "imprinting" at work here. That is the reason she has come up with because apparently she has no idea why she feels bonded to him either. But even if that was the reason for her feelings, it wouldn`t explain his. In Twilight, they explained it as werewolf lore but for Dean there is no such explanation.

A baby duck can imprint on a person, doesn`t mean the person imprints right back. So right now I do believe both are bonded and both have no idea why. Amara pondered the question and came up with an answer for herself. Dean is just utterly confused and freaked.

I do think it is something to do with the Mark and we will get more exposition on that. Likely by Lucifer who wore it for a time. Them showing the cage like that most likely means Lucifer makes an appearance. Then he can do what Metatron did here: feed us more lore.

Also, Amara`s make-up reason is kinda wonky in and of itself. God tricked/betrayed/sacrificed her to create and she feels she has a score to settle about that - fair enough, actually - and her feelings about what he created are iffy at best. Some things she seems to enjoy but overall she is less than impressed. Yet she explains away her fangirling of Dean with a "you fascinate me because you embody creation to me". The same creation you are "meh" about? Would hardly make you crush on its "spokesperson".  

Edited by Aeryn13
  • Love 2

I'm thinking more about Amara being God's sister. She could be his twin. That keeps Death older or as old as God and Amara and she might have been locked away before God knew about Death. I dunno...

Or is this just more LOLCANON!Carver shenanigans? 

So, God has a sister, hu? Okie Dokie. I didn't realize that deities were usually so gender specific, but what do I know?

Did they really go in to kill Amara armed only with the knife that didn't even phase Alistair? Not sure how they didn't see that ending badly coming? Oh, right, forgot about the brain damage from all the hits to the head over the years. That makes more sense now.

As to Dean and Amara, I'm not getting a sex vibe from Dean at all--more like a conflicted/confused vibe. Oh, Amara is totally crushing on Dean, but don't most teenage girls do that? 

So, in summary: Marvatron, you monologue too much. Crowley, you whine too much. Cas, you mope too much. Sam and Dean, you should really start wearing football helmets to protect what little brain cells you have left.

• Love 8

Thank you, DDD! Yes...going in with "everything" means Dean gets the demon blade, Sam carries the angel blade (more powerful!), and they basically don't have anything else?!? Didn't seem very "everything"-like to me. Hell. Just use John's trick of putting holy water into the sprinkler system, set it off, *then* go in. All the demons are disabled or at least disrupted, and maybe Amara, too.

• Love 3

Just use John's trick of putting holy water into the sprinkler system, set it off, *then* go in. All the demons are disabled or at least disrupted,

But we don`t hurt the meatsuits these days. We just leave them handcuffed yet still demon-possessed on the floor. To what end? I don`t know. It neither eliminates the demon nor helps the person. And even though demons are ridiculously easy to handle in hand-to-hand combat now, one of them even has to tell you that a no-kill policy in a fight against two or three of them won`t exactly work. What a surprising outcome.

I was wondering about why Dean thought he could kill her with a demon knife too.

I have no idea. Neither demon knife nor angel blade should work, really. Then again, Amara looked at the knife all confident that Dean wouldn`t do it. At no point did the writing have her say that this wouldn`t do the trick. So as nonsensical as it is, the show actually played it as a "legit" threat in theory. 

• Love 2

I wanted to talk a bit about Cas.  I fucking love seeing Badass Cas back. Messy bedhead, kicking Metatron's ass. I'm sad that he's having some PTSD and I hope we get more conversation between him and Dean. I thought for sure that scene with them in the bunker after Sam leaves the room was going to be a longer conversation.

• Love 2

Can run of the mill demons like Sam was fighting actually do the hand waves that shove people up against walls or is that pretty much limited to the upper levels of management like Crowley and Alistair?  

Rewatch thoughts....

When Crowley said to Amara; "You're strong, but I'm stronger." I wanted him to say: "You're strong, but I'm Crowley."

Dean knew Jenny Jones from hearing a bit over the phone! Mad skills! Plus, he's spent too much time watching T.V.

Cas sure as hell mastered that remote fast. It takes us weeks every time we get an new DVR!

Dean seamed very happy to finally be able to kill something. I'm referring to the demon that came after Goldie.

I agree with Amara about memes!

Legalized pot brings down souls in hell by 40%?! I buy that!

So Amara is waiting to settle an old score. Is she gunning for God?

Didn't get Cas doubting that Dean couldn't kill Amara, or believe he hesitated to. "What part of God's friggin' sister didn't you understand?" did it for me. I think Sam was more concerned with the visions he's been having than Dean and Amara. I'm convinced now we're going to see Lucifer.

• Love 1

There were no other demons that we saw do that? Hmm. I am mistaken.

It could very well be that there were, but I generally don't remember most of the "stunt demons" - unless they make an impression on me - so I can't say for sure if the wall flick was a typical demon capability or not. You very well could be correct. However, Meg and Ruby were not just low ranking demons, so what they can do isn't necessarily representative of what just your average demon might be able to do, but maybe someone else remembers a no-name demon being able to do the wall flick?

It could very well be that there were, but I generally don't remember most of the "stunt demons" - unless they make an impression on me - so I can't say for sure if the wall flick was a typical demon capability or not. You very well could be correct. However, Meg and Ruby were not just low ranking demons, so what they can do isn't necessarily representative of what just your average demon might be able to do, but maybe someone else remembers a no-name demon being able to do the wall flick?

First off, Babblesmuch, I love your screen name! Mick says I blab too much, so we're sisters!

Second, I hate both you and Awesom0400, (Awesom's used to this) because now I'm going to have to rewatch the entire series to figure out the "hand wave" thing! Unless of course, catrox chimes in. She would know! 

Edited by Mick Lady
  • Love 1

I liked the episode quite a bit and adore the hairstyle they gave Amara.

I'm guessing just being in Amara's company creates some sort of dissent.

I do wonder if Amara can sense that Dean was the Righteous Man and was intended to be Michael's perfect vessel.

I don't think Dean is sexually attracted to teenage Amara but I do think he feels a connection of some sort as well as possibly some fascination - which does not have to be sexual. Now whether Amara does- well she is a teenage and clearly finds Dean interesting in a lot of ways.

Oh Crowley; why did you think you had the upper hand with Amara?

• Love 3

IIRC, the powers of a demon are a function of the amount of Plotonium required for the episode.

I think the longer a demon is a demon the more power they acquire.  Dean wasn't shown to be able to teleport or move things with a flick of his finger, other than Tindr of course,....,but Meg, Ruby, Alastair, Azazel all could do it.

That's my fanwank for why we never got to see Dean use powers. He was just a baby demon really

• Love 4

First off, Babblesmuch, I love your screen name! Mick says I blab too much, so we're sisters!

Teehee. Thanks sis! It was either gonna be Babblesmuch or Randomstreamofconsciousness, but I figured that was too long.

I'm sorry! If helps, it's killing me now too. I could've sworn, I've been thinking it for ages... but right now all the demons I think of weren't low-levels. Ruby, Meg, crossroads, seven deadlies, the one with the witches... I'm having trouble remembering the non-special demons. Maybe I just assumed...

What type of ranking were Casey and the priest wearing demon in Sin City? Did either one of them even do the hand wave thing?

*sigh* Seems I'll be starting my rewatch tomorrow.

• Love 1

I read the sexual/gender politics of the episode differently--not necessarily in a way that makes it more palatable but differently.

I don't think that the tension between Dean and Amara at this point is sexual exactly.  I do think that she has some sort of control/fascination over him and I wonder if it isn't because he carried the mark of Cain.  If in fact that was part of her then it would suggest that she (and her anger before) would have an impact.  I think that it is interesting that the point at which it seemed as if he might be unfrozen is when Amara threatened Sam.  That broke off the control.  She insists that she is fascinated by him because he was the first part of God's creation she saw.  But the fact he carried the Mark may also have something to do with it as well.

In any case, if I am following what Metatron said correctly, their was brother and sister (light and dark) which sounds sort of like an equal chaos situation.  Brother decides he wants to create a universe and in order to bring substance to it he has to sacrifice his sister who is then expelled from creation (for those Lacanians out there she is the real).  Voila the expulsion of the Sister leads to the patriarchal universe organized by God.  For it to be a sacrifice then they wouldn't have been enemies before hand so likely it is in the resistance to being captured and confined that the Darkness becomes "dark"--in other words it is her anger at being sacrificed and confined.  This is problematic of course because then it turns Amara from being someone seeking to regain her/its freedom into a rage-filled villain which just reinforces the patriarchal logic of the original expulsion.

Now if this is right then I really think that the closing song is ironic.  That song was originally as much about class (the "boy" is not the right type) as it was about age I think.  But in any case, the juxtaposition of Amara walking down the streets of a world that is soon going to be her plaything with both Dean and Crowley in their cups suggests that she certainly doesn't need a man.  She has a whole world she is planning on exploring, enjoying, and destroying.

• Love 5

Can run of the mill demons like Sam was fighting actually do the hand waves that shove people up against walls or is that pretty much limited to the upper levels of management like Crowley and Alistair?  

In Jus in Bello (season 3 ep 12) Dean and Sam were pinned against the wall by a cannon fodder demon.

• Love 1

With the specific cover of the final song being from Pulp Fiction, I went back to watch the scene in that movie.

****Pulp Fiction Spoilers!!!! ****

In the movie, you seen Vincent debating about whether to be loyal and just go home or whether to purse the wife (Mia). From Vincent's POV, the music is in the background and not his focus.

The song, however, is clearly about Mia. IMO it's about Mia exploring doing what SHE wants to do, rather than being the trophy wife. Its definitely a sense of freedom and empowerment on her part. But she is pretty much a threat to Vincent as death is fairly certain if he messes with the bosses' wife. In short, her empowerment is both joyful and dangerous. And then she finds heroin in Vincent's coat pocket that she is wearing. Thinking its cocaine, she happily snorts it (because she WANTS to), and dies.

So while Vincent has decided to stay loyal, Mia, in her freedom and recklessness has gotten herself killed. Which is going to completely mess up Vincent's life.

To me, it's a pretty good analogy for Dean and Amara. The song is for Amara and an expression of freedom for her. Dean, on the other hand, is totally screwed. By having this connection with Amara, even if he does the right things, Amara is seriously going to mess up his existence.

And while Vincent/Mia DID have that sexy times potential, the song was less about that and more about Mia's freedom costing Vincent dearly.

Edited by SueB
  • Love 5

I think using Urge Overkill's cover kinda subverts that genre.

Also, I've noticed 'Anara music' is not classic rock. When Dean went towards her room in this latest episode, it has a different, modern vibe.

• Love 1

Maybe it's just me, but I got a very Mary Tyler Moore feeling during that musical sequence. I kept waiting for her to spin around and throw her hat in the air and then the frame to freeze. 

Sadly, she wasn't wearing a hat, though.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 5

So what we're saying is that Carver doesn't care about watering down the classic rock - one of the original concepts of the show. :(

That was Kripke`s baby, though. If Carver can lol all the canon that came before, he can easily do away with all other tropes and gimmicks and introduce ones HE likes..

• Love 1

The Dean and Amara thing isn't even really about Dean for me. Just leave him out of the equation for now. It's how the rest of the show is trying to have it both ways with the Amara character. There are frequent reminders that she's a little girl, from the way she acts to how others treat her. But at the same time they don't want us to forget that she's alluring! (Like Sydney's comment about the bliss-orgasm whatever she got from Amara.) Then that creepy ass song about waiting for her to grow up. Plus she's actually wearing a meatsuit that's only, what, a few weeks old at this time? She took a baby's body and aged it up artificially. Even when she eventually looks like an adult, if anything romantic happens with her and anyone else, I'm gonna be thinking about that meatsuit. Especially since this season they're back to caring about what actually happens to vessels.

Edited by Tippi Blevins
  • Love 2

So what we're saying is that Carver doesn't care about watering down the classic rock - one of the original concepts of the show. :(

I think it might be the opposite. Classic rock is the Supernatural Universe. Amara is a discordant musical cue to that universe. I suspect it's quite clever.

Tippy- I'm pretty sure Mom And Baby died and Baby's soul was eaten when Anara took over. So the meatsuit concept is not the same. It was essentially an empty living shell after Amara ate the host. So, I don't think there's any body sentience around that fits the meatsuit/vessel analogy. JMO.

• Love 2

I'm finally getting around to the episode and what's annoying me most is the contrast they seem to be going for between Sam and Dean. Sam is the one who cares about the meat suits! Dean couldn't care less! I'm glad they're addressing the fact that killing the demon kills the person, but I'm a little annoyed by the way they're going about it. Sam hasn't cared about the human consequences for killing the demons for years either. Is this the "season one feel" they've talked about? Back to Sam all dewy-eyed and sensitive and Dean all "kill, kill, kill"? Dean was never that guy. And, frankly, Sam never was either. Not completely. So, I'm beginning to believe that either they've forgotten/ditched what's happened to the characters over the last 10 years or there's something wrong with Dean.

On a more shallow note, Sam's hair flipping around during his demon fight was cracking me up.

Edited by bethy
  • Love 2

Maybe it's just me, but I got a very Mary Tyler Moore feeling during that musical sequence. I kept waiting for her to spin around and throw her hat in the air and then the frame to freeze. 

Sadly, she wasn't wearing a hat, though.

Heh - I thought back even further to That Girl.* Marlo Thomas didn't throw her hat though. She mussed up her hair at the end.

* I saw the reruns in syndication... I'm old - relatively - but not that old. Heh.

• Love 1

I'm finally getting around to the episode and what's annoying me most is the contrast they seem to be going for between Sam and Dean. Sam is the one who cares about the meat suits! Dean couldn't care less! I'm glad they're addressing the fact that killing the demon kills the person, but I'm a little annoyed by the way they're going about it. Sam hasn't care about the human consequences for killing the demons for years either. Is this the "season one feel" they've talked about? Back to Sam all dewy-eyed and sensitive and Dean all "kill, kill, kill"? Dean was never that guy. And, frankly, Sam never was either. Not completely. So, I'm beginning to believe that either they've forgotten/ditched what's happened to the characters over the last 10 years or there's something wrong with Dean. 

On a more shallow note, Sam's hair flipping around during his demon fight was cracking me up.  

word to this entire post

• Love 1

As I said above, I think the MoC may not have been influencing Dean after all--it may actually have been the Darkness seeping through. And while he recuperated, he's falling under the influence again, due to the bond with Amara. He's seemed pretty ready and willing to kill, more so each episode. :-(

Apparently the version of the song used in the episode was from "Pulp Fiction"; there's an interesting post on Fandomnatural dissecting the meaning in the film, and concluding that it's meant to show that, no matter what Dean does, Amara is dangerous for him.

There's a gif set on tumblr, caps from the scene where Amara is stroking his cheek, and it's very interesting: Dean does not look sexually attracted in the least, he looks dazed, and his jaw kind of drops, mouth opens up, as if he's stunned and confused. FWIW.

• Love 2

I'm finally getting around to the episode and what's annoying me most is the contrast they seem to be going for between Sam and Dean. Sam is the one who cares about the meat suits! Dean couldn't care less! I'm glad they're addressing the fact that killing the demon kills the person, but I'm a little annoyed by the way they're going about it. Sam hasn't cared about the human consequences for killing the demons for years either. Is this the "season one feel" they've talked about? Back to Sam all dewy-eyed and sensitive and Dean all "kill, kill, kill"? Dean was never that guy. And, frankly, Sam never was either. Not completely. So, I'm beginning to believe that either they've forgotten/ditched what's happened to the characters over the last 10 years or there's something wrong with Dean.

I think it is the usual writing trope of Saint Sam vs. "Dean is nothing but a blood-thirsty killer". It`s what the writers believe about the characters. The nepotism pretty much came out and said it outright. Do I hate it? Sure.  

• Love 2

"Gods forbid he actually sleeps her.  But if he does the show must make it 100% clear it's because Dean is not have his own sound mind and body"

Catrox - This to me sounds like you are saying is that you are ok with Amara raping Dean but your not ok with Dean having consentual sex with a fully grown woman while having control over his own mind and body? 

For the record I don't want him to sleep with her either. I personally don't think it's a sexual vibe from Dean right now and I agree with those who think he's freaked out by her.  She did mention their connection because of the mark in their first meeting and if I remember correctly she told him he would never hurt her.  I think he's realizing now she was right - he can't hurt her even if he wants to.

"Gods forbid he actually sleeps her.  But if he does the show must make it 100% clear it's because Dean is not have his own sound mind and body"

Catrox - This to me sounds like you are saying is that you are ok with Amara raping Dean but your not ok with Dean having consentual sex with a fully grown woman while having control over his own mind and body? 

Sigh. Yeah...that is taking my comment out of context to the other things I've said about this and is, at best, a vast misinterpretation of my words and opinions if that is your conclusion.  I'm not going to rehash my comments I've made elsewhere here.

I said that is the only way it should happen because Dean was doing it against his will not that I approve of it or that it's okay. FFS.

I cannot fathom any scenario in which the adult!Dean we have NOW; the one who has looked after and protected children from infancy (Sam) to teenagers(Claire, Ben, Krissy) would be sexually attracted, of his own volition, to adult!Amara considering Dean has spent more time with The Darkness's Amara vessel as child than he has with her as an adult in literally a matter of what 2 or 3 weeks at most??  Even aside from him only really knowing her as a child, sex with Amara is a big nope because he is BOUND to her now because of the Mark apparently.  So him protecting her is against his will, and sex with her would have to questioned as being against his will as well.  

Gods, I fucking HATE this SL now. Sigh. 

With the specific cover of the final song being from Pulp Fiction, I went back to watch the scene in that movie.

****Pulp Fiction Spoilers!!!! ****

In the movie, you seen Vincent debating about whether to be loyal and just go home or whether to purse the wife (Mia). From Vincent's POV, the music is in the background and not his focus.

The song, however, is clearly about Mia. IMO it's about Mia exploring doing what SHE wants to do, rather than being the trophy wife. Its definitely a sense of freedom and empowerment on her part. But she is pretty much a threat to Vincent as death is fairly certain if he messes with the bosses' wife. In short, her empowerment is both joyful and dangerous. And then she finds heroin in Vincent's coat pocket that she is wearing. Thinking its cocaine, she happily snorts it (because she WANTS to), and dies.

So while Vincent has decided to stay loyal, Mia, in her freedom and recklessness has gotten herself killed. Which is going to completely mess up Vincent's life.

To me, it's a pretty good analogy for Dean and Amara. The song is for Amara and an expression of freedom for her. Dean, on the other hand, is totally screwed. By having this connection with Amara, even if he does the right things, Amara is seriously going to mess up his existence.

And while Vincent/Mia DID have that sexy times potential, the song was less about that and more about Mia's freedom costing Vincent dearly.

Damn it, SueB! Where were you when I was forced to take literature classes in grad school? I love to read, but I was forced to take the classes because my advisor said I was too focused on math and science. Your post is so thought provoking and insightful.

I'm damn impressed!

• Love 1

D'awwwweee thanks Mick Lady. I eat these complex topics with a spoon. It's like dessert.

Catrox, I totally get the squick issue, but I do think it's fair that Dean should be considered the prey and not the predator. I don't think we've had any indications otherwise from you or anyone else that you think Dean has acted inappropriately. BUT by insisting it be made clear that Dean isn't into anything sexual with Amara, your insistence seems to imply he's acting of his own volition. Not necessarily as predator, but it's not clear that you believe it's unambiguous that he's unwilling. That's not unreasonable, IMO, to ask for more clarity, given Supernatural's abysmal record regarding consent. But personally, I have no doubt Dean is not choosing what is happening.

Edited by SueB

As usual, I bought this discussion to Mick. He said, "It's a little uncomfortable, I don't know how else to put it." So he hates the vibe between Amara and Dean too. As he said, "He's biding his time, and waiting for her eighteenth birthday" but he does believe Dean could and will control it.

I still like SueB's point of view better.

• Love 1

I think it might be the opposite. Classic rock is the Supernatural Universe. Amara is a discordant musical cue to that universe.

So does that make Amara the triangle or the cowbell? To subvert all expectations, this is one case where I do not need more cowbell.

• Love 2