Type keyword(s) to search

Season Four General Discussion

1 hour ago, Beden said:

Because the vending machines back at the lodge where they really live are kept fully stocked...I mean...like, duh! (okay, that was snarky, I admit it--true though it likely is).

I've been to Hoonah twice; the ship docks at Icy Strait Point, which is a short walk from the town itself.  Check out this link for restaurants.  I will tell you that the Alaskan halibut and chips is some of the best fish and chips I've ever eaten.  There is LOTS of food available in the area . . . no need to resort to vending machines.  LOL.

22 hours ago, SRTouch said:

Or that in a couple long shots you can see the remains of the mouldy beach shed, still not fully collapsed, under the fallen tree. Thought it was a big danger that was going to fall in on Cupcake one day. Just think, with Matt's new mill they could make planks of that downed tree and put a wood deck around the mud hole with the benches (which now have fancy blue cushions, thanks to Bear).

Did you notice one of the long shots (from a drone, I think) that showed all of the junk scattered around Browntown?  It looked like all of the crap they've brought back and just dropped it after the shoot was done for the day and then never went back to take care of it.  I saw the stack of big empty plastic containers, various sheds, assorted building materials.  IOW, the area looked trashy due to the fact it used to be a beautiful, pristine, natural environment and they've turned it into a dump.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I've been to Hoonah twice; the ship docks at Icy Strait Point, which is a short walk from the town itself.  Check out this link for restaurants.  I will tell you that the Alaskan halibut and chips is some of the best fish and chips I've ever eaten.  There is LOTS of food available in the area . . . no need to resort to vending machines.  LOL.

But to enjoy the restaurants of Hoonah, they've gotta travel one, er, two, no, wait...SIX hours across the brutal sea that always gets stormy every time they get in their boat that catches fire and breaks down but is miraculously fixed just before they hit the rocks...we're talking life-threatening situations here.  Surely they wouldn't abandon their self-sufficient bush lifestyle and take such risks just to eat in a restaurant.  They'd much rather wait for Matt to get back with his kill, or maybe they waited for the tide to go out and found their crab pots.

On a more serious note, I'm craving fish and chips now.

Edited by Sup wit dat
  • Love 4
Just now, Sup wit dat said:

They'd much rather wait for Matt to get back with his kill . . . 

Translation:  Matt, bring a pizza when you make your next beer run.  

Seriously, I hope Matt stays well . . . but the pretense of "self-sufficiency" they try to portray is laughable.  

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Glasgow Kay said:

Where oh where does Bear get his feckin clothes ????  

Billy gives me the creeps !!! Boak !

I do not believe they ever actually stay in that shit hole !! They hop on the crews speed boat and head back to town !!  

• Love 2
On 1/20/2017 at 11:16 AM, rayndon said:

I saw the stack of big empty plastic containers, various sheds, assorted building materials.  IOW, the area looked trashy due to the fact it used to be a beautiful, pristine, natural environment and they've turned it into a dump.  

A poster above somewhere mentioned that the land they're using is actually owned by the mayor; I'm hoping that, aside from the house the crew built and seems all right, there's a clause in the contract saying the production crew has to clean up the mess and return the area to it's natural state (as far as possible).

17 hours ago, zipbags said:

I heard somewhere that Bam is married....Anyone else hear that?

I was going to ask that very question when I drifted over to see the new snark; anyone know if Ami will hear the patter of grandbabies anytime soon? And are Bam and his new missus still together? Could that be why we had the rumors that he and another brother (forget which one) didn't want to film this season until Billy likely threatened them with bodily harm if they put the fam's income in jeopardy.

Well.

So, semi-watched last night's episode and, gollygosh; it's like the gift that keeps on giving. We had Matt doing whatever the hell he was doing (okay, I admit it, I forget) Bam telling Billy that he wants to stretch his wings and fly free (forewarning to the announcement of his maybe marriage and a homestead or tree house of his own?), a boat trip which is fraught with not one but 2 boating crisis--they almost burn down (if the wiring is such shit why haven't they told to Noah to replace it over the last year or so?) then they have to help a vessel in distress and (extra bonus round!) the previews show us that they'll be dead in the water all during a storm so violent they could all die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And everyone is barfing over the sides due to a lack of sealegs. And they got Mat's moron twin from the dump to feed and much the poor cow--who is seemingly living in a muddy pen. Even I know that's not good for her feet.

But I was impressed with the wrench set (?) Noah brought out to fix the bad wire--complete and looking new. Maybe they bartered some fresh cream/milk/butter for that?

I'm sure I missed things but damn--I'm only human and I was reading an actual good book.

On 1/20/2017 at 11:37 AM, Sup wit dat said:

But to enjoy the restaurants of Hoonah, they've gotta travel one, er, two, no, wait...SIX hours across the brutal sea that always gets stormy every time they get in their boat that catches fire and breaks down but is miraculously fixed just before they hit the rocks...we're talking life-threatening situations here.  Surely they wouldn't abandon their self-sufficient bush lifestyle and take such risks just to eat in a restaurant.  They'd much rather wait for Matt to get back with his kill, or maybe they waited for the tide to go out and found their crab pots.

On a more serious note, I'm craving fish and chips now.

It only took 3 hours last night.  Guess they can't make up their mind.  Such a shit hole.

I would like to say I watched it all last night but I admit, it put me to sleep about halfway mark of the hour.

I really wish that someone would teach Bear a couple of new words.  I am sick of everything either being awesome or extreme.  No, it isn't, you dipwad.  Still waiting to see how long No-dud girl will stick around.

• Love 2
On 1/26/2017 at 7:28 AM, Beden said:

But I was impressed with the wrench set (?) Noah brought out to fix the bad wire--complete and looking new. Maybe they bartered some fresh cream/milk/butter for that?

Always impressed by the tools from the magical tool room (production crew). The tools appear either appear brand new or so old and decrepit they are unsafe. Then when whichever fool is using it they just toss it aside. I figure that's the reason for the discrepancy in appearance. Some tools the crew see where it lands and they pick up, others lay out in the weather and are eventually found, then many times the crew ends up buying tools for the latest hairbrained skit.

The latest tool to make an appearance - that chain saw winch the clowns used to lift that tripod for Billy's wind generator. Ever since they got the Integrity many of us have pointed out the need for a winch for the family "hauling business." Ah, here they come up with a perfect tool. Another useful tool yet to appear - a simple wagon/cart.

Edited by SRTouch
Wording changed
  • Love 1

"chain saw winch".

had to do an internet search for that one.     it looks like the type of tool that would be used infrequently.   so you would borrow (or rent), not own.

having a couple inexpensive "come alongs"  is a good idea, though.

Yeah, I only checked in a couple of times the other night.  First was the scene with Matt's BFF tending to the cow.  Bo-ring..

And the other was towards the end of the episode when some of the Browntown clan were hurling off the side of the boat.   Now I thought THAT part was funny.  Maybe unintentionally funny, but I did have a chuckle or two as they, well, upchucked as the boat was bouncing over the waves.  Heh.

So I guess this is a "too be continued..." sort of episode?  Will they make it or won't they!?  The worst is yet to come!   :P

6 hours ago, brgjoe said:

So I guess this is a "too be continued..." sort of episode?  Will they make it or won't they!?  The worst is yet to come!   :P

Snark? Laughter??? Sarcasm????? Schadenfreude??????? Is this what I'm reading????

C'mon peole--a little perspective and compassion, please; they could all DIE!!!!!!! Is this the kind of world we live in.....?

Edited by Beden
  • Love 3
On 1/26/2017 at 5:51 PM, clod said:

"chain saw winch".

had to do an internet search for that one.     it looks like the type of tool that would be used infrequently.   so you would borrow (or rent), not own.

having a couple inexpensive "come alongs"  is a good idea, though.

It's one of those tools which seem like it would be a great aide on a "real" homestead. http://www.madsens1.com/sa_lewis winch.htm  and  http://us.lewiswinch.com  Take the chain and bar off your chainsaw, replace it with an attachment, and depending on how big your saw is, plenty powerful (some upwards of 4,000 lbs straight or doubledouble with a snatched block), and way faster than the old hand come along. No need for batteries or electricity. Disadvantages, this isn't for your homeowner sized chainsaw - you need a good sized chainsaw. Also, not cheap. Oh, and you better know what you're doing because you're right there if the cable breaks. Another of those neat to have tools for a homesteader's dream list. Pretty much 99.99% of the time a block and tackle would be just as fast, not cost as much, and just use muscle power. Another dream list item, just because I've never seen one, a drill winch like https://www.warn.com/utility/acwinches/drillWinch.jsp. Powered by a hand drill and rated for 500lbs. I've never seen one of those, seems more of a gimmick, and you'd need electricity to recharge batteries, looks dangerous for newbies.

(edited)

hey, just put a winch on the 4wheeler.

hmmm.   do they have a 4wheeler?        or would that might make them too much like "regular folk".     

Edited by clod
Just now, clod said:

hmmm.   do they have a 4wheeler?        or would that might make them too much like "regular folk".     

Shhhh, we're not supposed to know what made those tracks we sometimes see running across the beach.

I'm actually just now watching last Wednesday episode. That's quite the generator we see on the Integrity as they scramble around to secure things before the storm.  http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu7000is  Did I miss that thing being a haul job? 

On 1/29/2017 at 8:07 PM, clod said:

There was one over to the side in one of the overhead shots.

Damn drone!, they show things they aren't supposed too.  :)

So Bam decides to go find a wife on a journey in the lower 48.  At least they are acknowledging that if Ami wants grand babies...she better hope her kids go off and find spouses.  One thing...if they have to do all this stuff just to pay for a small skiff.  Where is Bam getting money to travel the lower 48?  (Yes...I know the answer.)

• Love 4

It occurred to me that Bam's trip to the lower 48 might be to hook up again with his PA or director or producer; the one there were rumors he was sparking (and had maybe married). He brings the lady back to Browntown and there you go...soon to be grandbabies (maybe). And of course the damn boat broke down due to a bum battery connection--that was the problem, wasn't it this time? The same problem a couple of episodes ago which was evidently never actually fixed aside from putting the proverbial bandaid on it?

Seriously--they need new writers on this thing; recycling plots is really getting obvious and old. Also, just as pure snark, the older girl--I've momentarily blanked on her name--really needs to put the sugar coated pancakes away. I'm not a fan of body shaming in the least but, c'mon--her teeth won't thank her, at least the ones she still has left.

• Love 2

That Detroit Diesel engine is fully mechanical, meaning that it needs zero electricity to run after it is started.  On the show the showed the engine grinding to a stop, which it wouldn't have done, and Billy and Noah working in the engine room while the engine was off.  They also showed the boat slowing when the problem happened, which may or may not occur depending on the throttle (air, cable and linkage, hydraulic, etc).  

How did the engine room get so quite?  Only a fool would shut a running engine down in that situation, it's running, keep it going.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Beden said:

Also, just as pure snark, the older girl--I've momentarily blanked on her name--really needs to put the sugar coated pancakes away. I'm not a fan of body shaming in the least but, c'mon--her teeth won't thank her, at least the ones she still has left.

Eggs - they were sugar coated eggs............which is even worse; at least with pancakes it's generally accepted we'll put syrup and cinnamon sugar on them (in reasonable amounts).  But eggs?  Why?  Not to mention where do they get the extra white sugar in the bush that she can waste it on eggs.  Then again where did they get all these eggs from for her to have developed that habit in the first place.

Continuity questions make my head hurt.  Which reminds me - they went to a lot of trouble to say over and over how they hadn't been to Prince of Wales for 10 years but when they met their old friend with the purple/blue hair Matt said he we 26 when he last saw her because they went there when Billy was recovering from his seizures which would be 6-7 years ago.

I'll give Disco credit for this though - they caught a drone shot, it was shown the morning after they picked up the wind supplies, where a herd of deer happened to be splashing across a stream as the drone flew by that I thought was really beautiful.

• Love 2

So ol' Bam Bam is going down the lower 48 to find himself a lady friend... I wonder which state he will be doing his looking in.  I wonder why he wouldn't just go to one of the more populous areas of Alaska to try to snag a lady. Seems to me someone who already lives in Alaska would be more willing to transition to their "Bush Lifestyle".  In reality I suppose he only has to talk the woman into living in a cabin with modern amenities and pretending to live in a shack for a few days here and there during filming.  I guess out of all the Brown boys, Bam is the most normal, so potentially has the best chance of marrying.  With a decent haircut, he wouldn't be totally repulsive. 

They are always talking about the boys getting married and having kids, but what about Bird? She's like 20 or so which would be plenty old by their standards for her to get married and start producing little Bush people.  I have never heard them say anything about that for her though. Even with her jacked teeth, she'd probably have a way easier time finding a spouse than the boys given the male/female ratio in their area.  Perhaps Kenny from the dump?!

1 hour ago, Rock knocker said:

How far did they tow the float plane?

I can't remember exactly what they said but I remember thinking that it was very far...maybe like 15 miles?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Rock knocker said:

How far did they tow the float plane?

Think they circled the harbor (pure snark, as I have yet to watch - these days there's a 50/50 chance I'll delete an episode before watching.)

• Love 1
4 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Eggs - they were sugar coated eggs............which is even worse; at least with pancakes it's generally accepted we'll put syrup and cinnamon sugar on them (in reasonable amounts).

Yes, I stand corrected and blame my mistake on the cold I'm fighting (and currently losing against). Growing up I was taught to put sugar or cinnamon sugar on my pancakes by my grandfather. Growing up poor his family couldn't afford maple syrup and so used sugar. That's how I eat them to this day.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Beden said:

Growing up poor his family couldn't afford maple syrup and so used sugar.

Too bad your grandfather didn't know the Browns, so he could learn to live off the land.

Oh, sorry...

I spelled  "Live off a fake reality TV show" wrong.

Edited by TheLastKidPicked
  • Love 2

Not a bad idea but Papa grew up to be a cop; not someone the Browns would likely want to have hanging out with them too much...or would that be a case of 'keep your friends closer and your enemies closer'?

I laughed during Bam's heart to heart with dear ol' dad when he said:

"I'm not the most nostalgic in the world but it's different when you turn 30 and you're not a teenager anymore..."

Note to Bam:  you stopped being a teenager at 20, not 30.  So much for bush homeschooling.

What's really on Bam's mind:

"I hate this show and I'd rather be banging my girlfriend in New York.  I'm outta here."

• Love 3

Just, OMG--you guys are so totally cynical and it's hurting my heart this very minute.

Bam is going to find his true love and, coached by baby Bro Noah, wouldn't bang his ladylove until at least the Bans had been posted...or hold hands even. And, okay, he may not actually be a teenager anymore but you're only as old as you feel, right?

They get paid for this show????? This is a community service, I'm sure of it--bringing attention and income to the good Bush folk of Hoonah so that they can thrive and be happy,  even if they do insist on that lower 48 stuff like telephones and electricity and freezers and pizza and microwaves and candy machines.

And I bet Ami can cast with the best of them--or she could if she hadn't sprained her wrist skinning that deer Matt brought back last week (or whenever it was) and you guys could have a little compassion here...

Jeez.

• Love 1

I'm no outdoorswoman, but when I saw how badly Ami messed up casting that line, the thought that popped into my head was, "Well, I guess it's not like riding a bicycle (or crocheting, or cooking)."  If you REALLY know how to do something, you might be a little rusty, but it comes back quickly.

I could only make it through about 5 minutes of the show before I had to quit.  SO fake.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I'm no outdoorswoman, but when I saw how badly Ami messed up casting that line, the thought that popped into my head was, "Well, I guess it's not like riding a bicycle (or crocheting, or cooking)."  If you REALLY know how to do something, you might be a little rusty, but it comes back quickly.

I could only make it through about 5 minutes of the show before I had to quit.  SO fake.  

My three-year-old granddaughter could cast better than Ami (at least my granddaughter caught a fish).  Favorite fishing hole my ass  :-D

It took me 3 days to watch this shit show.  Best watched during the commercial breaks of the shows you do like watching.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, iluvobx said:

My three-year-old granddaughter could cast better than Ami (at least my granddaughter caught a fish).  Favorite fishing hole my ass  :-D

Pretty close to my thoughts. I watched that scene and remembered back to my last family reunion when I took three or four preschoolers fishing with their little toy rod and reels. Yes the kiddos had some trouble at first, a couple birds nests, but I swear they were at least as good as this adult with decades of experience. Oh, and all the kids caught fish, though maybe it's cheating when you fish a stock pond where the fish just about come ashore when they hear the coffee can bang on the metal she'd where fish food is stored. I had to recruit an older kid to help unhook fish and rebait hooks because we lucked out and started just as the sunfish started biting.

• Love 1

Is it mean spirited of me to say that the highlight of tonight's episode for me was when they dropped and broke the turbine?  I knew as soon as Gabe started following Bear's orders there was a disaster coming.  Gabe doesn't seem capable of an independent thought, he's always following someone, like Bird or Noah.  Following Bear's lead is probably not a good idea though.

I was impressed that Noah did the right thing on his "meet the parents" date.  He said "We probably should have left two topics ago" and dragged her out of it.  I thought wow, he did something right for a change, good job.

• Love 1

So many layers of stupid last night, let me count (some of) the ways...

The turbine fell. After a week or so ago they said that the supports weren't really secured but why let that stop you from using them anyway, just because they were obviously leaning? Ha!

But wasn't it lucky that they found all the needed parts for their turbine in the dump? I gotta do me more shopping there...

The high tide swamped the support, turning the ground into, I assume, mud. Because they never checked the high tide line.

The moron twins used a shiny, new shovel (tags still clearly visible) as a paddle. That's what I always did..."damn, lost a paddle, let's go to the hardware store and get a really big, heavy shovel which will probably cost more than an oar/paddle". And a rowboat uses oars. Canoes use paddles, you dimwits.

Just in case the rented cow gets out let's make her a bell out of a metal cup and a nail or something because everything is ready for winter. Oh, right...

WINTER'S COMING!!! Quick--let's all waste time by using hours to pick up the new girlfriend, watch Ami crochet, and have Matt waste hours rigging a sliding door from a bed frame and emptied cartridges. Because time is of the essence.

And Billy can stay busy doing...uh...um...something.

If only Bam weren't GF hunting in the lower 48 we could have everything done and perfect. Anyone have any idea what the real reason is that he jumped ship???

So much more but I don't want to hog it all and be greedy.

• Love 2

What a waste of material that a real bush family could use. I hope production is dumping tons of money into the local economy. 

Edited by Swim mom
Added the word bush.
3 hours ago, Swim mom said:

What a waste of material that a real bush family could use. I hope production is dumping tons of money into the local economy. 

They sure are . . . Individual hotel rooms for each of the boys, plus rooms for mom and dad, the girls, and the whole production crew. Plus eating out during the filming season - because you KNOW they're not cooking venison in Browntown. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Beden said:

If only Bam weren't GF hunting in the lower 48 we could have everything done and perfect. Anyone have any idea what the real reason is that he jumped ship???

I have read several articles that state Bam is dating one of the women who was on the production team for the show. Apparently he decided to go trot around the lower 48 with her for a while. Someone snapped a picture of them together in NY. 

Aw look at Noah and his apparently real girlfriend from the show! This was posted on Rhain's Facebook page on Jan. 29 with the caption "Back in Alaska!"  I guess at least this relationship is real if nothing else on the show is.  Also, Noah still dresses like a goof, even outside of the bush. 

16406950_1456423551057287_53229073904862

• Love 3
1 hour ago, saratothej said:

I have read several articles that state Bam is dating one of the women who was on the production team for the show. Apparently he decided to go trot around the lower 48 with her for a while. Someone snapped a picture of them together in NY. 

Yes, I'd heard that he was seeing someone on the staff--even heard a rumor that they'd married but don't know if that's true or not. I guess time will tell.

16 hours ago, Beden said:

The moron twins used a shiny, new shovel (tags still clearly visible) as a paddle. That's what I always did..."damn, lost a paddle, let's go to the hardware store and get a really big, heavy shovel which will probably cost more than an oar/paddle".

To be fair, it looked like it was a snow shovel, which is lighter than a spade.  It might even be made out of plastic, which would be lighter yet.

I agree with your point that if winter is such a big concern, why are they wasting so much time?  Billy spent most of the episode staring off into space, either when Noah's girlfriend was visiting, or when visiting the turbine site.  Not that we would expect him (or Ami, for that matter) to be doing much else.  Besides, easier to blame it all on Bam's absence lol.

Speaking of Noah's girlfriend, I had a feeling there was something different about her.  I suspect she's going to be around for awhile.  If nothing else, she probably wants a spot on the TV show.  Maybe it's all part of some demand on the part of the kids that they not be portrayed as such losers.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, rmontro said:

Maybe it's all part of some demand on the part of the kids that they not be portrayed as such losers.

While it wouldn't be a surprise that they're tired of being shown as mindless morons do we know that's one reason there were rumbles of dissent when TPTB wanted to get the new season going? I could also see the kids just wanting to get their lives back without cameras following them everywhere--even with a paycheck and a nice, comfy lodge to actually live in, that would get old. Could also be why Bam finally jumped ship.

Anyone know? (And yes, I'm embarrassed to even ask...)