Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Huangsgiving

The Huangs are hosting Thanksgiving this year, and Jessica is determined to out-do her sister who has hosted in years past. Clipboard in hand, Louis puts Emery and Evan on table décor duty while he and Jessica prepare the perfect feast. But despite their best-laid plans, unexpected mishaps and hangovers force Louis and Jessica to scramble to get an edible meal on the dining table. Meanwhile, Eddie and his cousin discover the power of the Internet.

I still love this show.  I think the Connie-Jessica dynamic is hilarious.  (I still love their "discount-off" from last season.)  And there were some delightful moments in this episode:

--"Louis Huang's Huangsgiving, with Louis Huang and the Huangs"

--Eddie and Justin talking about downloading pics of hot women from the Internet: "Janet Jackson!" "Janeane Garafalo!" "Tracy Chapman!"  --"Sensible vest."

--Heathcliff showing up at the Thanksgiving Parade when Grandma Huang was hoping for Garfield.

--That Glenn's commercial actually paying off.

--"Turn around, Connie."

--Emery and Evan getting all stressed out by the table decorations (those overalls on the squash!).

So while this episode wasn't perfect (there was a weird derogatory moment when Marvin called Oscar "Dorothy," though Oscar stood up for himself), I still found the Huangs themselves endearing.

• Love 6

I think the show is uneven this season but will stick with it because I love some of the characters. Connie was hilarious this episode, as was her sister. Grandma, Emery, and Evan were also great.

And I loved the boys arguing over what pic to download. I also liked how Justin's likes totally changed since they last say him. That rings true for me since I had a cousin like that growing up.

Not my favorite episode - I love seeing Jessica's sister and mother (and the subtitles of their conversations!), but the the "Thanksgiving dinner is a disaster" meme is so overdone and they didn't do anything new with it. (Really, Jessica? In 4+ hours you didn't even open the oven once to check and baste the turkey?)

• Love 2

I liked it but I'm a sucker for holiday episodes. There were a lot of little moments that I loved: Marvin wearing the 1920s football helmet, the agony of downloading a photo on dial-up, "GOW-da," Steve driving a Geo Metro and sporting a sadly relaxed success perm. Although I do agree that the turkey drama was over the top, as was Jessica trying to squeeze juice out of cranberries individually; she's not an incompetent moron, so it's weird that they wrote her that way for this episode.

• Love 1
And I loved the boys arguing over what pic to download. I also liked how Justin's likes totally changed since they last say him. That rings true for me since I had a cousin like that growing up.

"It's like chasing the wind."

I don't understand why Eddie would like Pearl Jam though.  How is that a compromise between grunge and hip-hop?  They're the second most grunge band that I can possibly think of.  They are even from Seattle.  (Pearl Jam is what Evan is going to call mayonnaise).  I was expecting some REAL compromise between grunge and hip-hop but I can't think of what the 1995 version of that is.  Today we have Chris Cornell doing an album produced by Timbaland -- now that's a compromise.  

Favorite part were the grandmas:  "What time is Jeopardy?" "Six minutes!"

And visiting grandma sweeping the driveway in her old lady robe and sweeping around drunk Louis.

Marvin in his football uniform was pretty great too.

Sitcoms are sitcoms, there will be plenty of rehashing of plots.  I LOVE they brought back the slow DL bit, surprised they didn't include the modem sounds while connecting to the internet.  Definitely disappointed that Emery and Evan didn't get more of a plot, my wife watched it with me for possibly the first time, I was hoping to show-off Emery and Evan to her (especially since we have a son named Evan).

This one was hit and miss.  The football stuff felt completely random and Louis getting drunk was disappointing.  Cranberry sauce is so easy to make from scratch.  

I find Eddy's cousin was the funniest with his latest transformation and "grunge is dead".  The sister/sister translation stuff was still funny, though.

Yes, the theme has been done to death. Still, this episode made me LOL at times. Louis was the MVP for me this episode. Between finding him outside and then his head bleeding at the table, had me dying.

Steve with his hair and eyebrows just looks weird to me so he cracks me up with that alone. I loved the "I thought it was because he wanted to list to jazz" line.