Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E15: The Live Playoffs, Part 1

• Start Topic

I liked Braiden's song choice but he seemed nervous and in a rush to finish the song when the song should be the opposite. His inexperience got the better of him for sure.

Jeffery was the star of the show except for one or two vocally stylistic choices that I did not agree with.

Jordan was very good and smooth. At one point, the white lights in the background really made it seem like he was an angel coming down from heaven to bless us with his (God!)ly voice. I'm getting a little tired of the female diva type songs he's singing. Maybe switch it up a little and give him a male song.

Ellie was pretty good. I did not remember her being this good in the blinds.

Korin was painful all the way through.

Blaine is forgettable. Keith is like a slightly more memorable Irish Blaine. I hate Viktor and his voice. Don't care if he's technically solid; his smarmy ass can walk out the front door.

Regina sucked. Why do they have to force feed these gospel-y singers to us that like to switch up melodies or twist them beyond recognition?

For once, I did not like Amy. Whoever chose that jazzy song should be locked up. It made her boring. I would like to see her sing Song for A Winter's Night.

I'm in the minority on Chance. I enjoyed his performance despite not really liking the song or his knockout performance but I liked it a lot better than Viktor, Regina, Korin, Blaine, Keith and Braiden.

I was trying to figure out who I forgot and it was Shelby. I like her voice but it's pretty run-of-the-mill. Her performance was forgettable.

As for the judges, I'd rather listen to Gwen say beautiful after every performance than hear Adam talk all over Blake and be rude constantly.

• Love 2

Here's how the iTunes rankings stack up 45 minutes before cutoff:

• #3 Jordan - "Halo"
  • #25 Jeffrey - "Say You Love Me"
  • #29 Amy - "The Way You Look Tonight"
  • #45 Ellie - "Ex's and Oh's"
  • #61 Braiden - "Everything I Own"
  • (#62 Jordan - "Chandelier")
  • #69 Shelby - "You're No Good"
  • #78 Blaine - "Never Tear Us Apart"
  • #80 Viktor - "All Around the World"
  • #82 Chance -"Barton Hollow"
  • (#89 Jordan - "Set Fire to the Rain")
  • #117 Keith - "To Be With You"
  • #192 Korin - "Adia"
  • (#194 Amy-  "Sunday Kind of Love")

Regina's the only one who didn't break the top 200.

Edited by Gbb
  • Love 1

Oh--I forgot to mention earlier. I hated what Viktor did to that Lisa Stansfield song. And my husband (who I'm mentioning a lot on this thread) and I were arguing over whether Viktor was more lounge singer ( me ) or cruise ship ( him ). I really thought Gwen would work with him to temper that side of himself down. I suspect Blake would have.

The audience still can't do the 'hands in the air wave' in unison, and I swear some are having seizures.

Gwen is looking gorgeous tonight.

She looks like a gorgeous 20 year old model unfortunately. She has done so much stuff to her face that it lost all individually. She has fillers, lip work and botox at minimum. Not a wrinkle to be found. Disturbing.

• #3 Jordan - "Halo"
  • #192 Korin - "Adia"

Amy is #29 for butchering her song? Good lord. This season is going to be painful if she sticks around until the finale.

• Love 2

• #3 Jordan - "Halo"
  • #192 Korin - "Adia"

Not a bad ranking. No real standout performances for me, but I liked most of them well enough--and glad they weren't doing songs we've heard on this show many times before.  I thought "Everything I Own" wasn't that bad of a song choice for Braiden, but it seemed too low for him through much of it. Was it in the wrong key for him? It seemed he should have been better with it, but he'd probably never heard it before and maybe was singing a song that he just wasn't feeling.

"Old jazz standards" for Amy are a relief from Adam, if that was his idea, although she wasn't as good with it as the song she chose last week. I'm glad to see her doing well in the voting since she's one of my favorites and that probably means people will keep voting for her/her song even on an off-night.  I'd like to see her at least stay till T3.

Regina leaving from Team Gwen would be fitting--and she got a nice bonus performance from the steal, the chance to do something more current. I don't mind if Keith is the one eliminated from Team Adam either. Seems the voting got it about right.

As for the debate about Viktor, "lounge singer or cruise ship?"  That's tough, lol. I think I'd have to vote "cruise ship" because he's just not "intimate enough" as a performer in a lounge. JMO, though, based on the fact that his style of singing (and style, period) really don't hit me well.  It may be unfair, but Viktor just seems too "packaged"--and probably is very difficult to change as a coach because he thinks what he does already works just fine.  I'm not sure how eliminations work--still just one at a time?--otherwise, I'd hope Gwen would eliminate Regina--and Viktor over Korin, whom I at least find interesting and am sure has a lot of room to grow from continuing on. 

(And ITA about Gwen's stylings. "Yes" to the way Blake looked, "undecided" on Braiden, and a definite "No!" to Korin. That wasn't just tweeking her normal style, it was saying, "Okay, you look geeky but I know you really want to look like any conventionally pretty and fashionable mainstream girl would. I'm going to make you over so you can see you really CAN do that?"  

I wish Gwen understood that many of us are bored silly by girls/women all striving for the same look that Gwen has. Korin's style isn't a turnoff, it's her way of expressing herself as an individual. If she wanted to be a "sexy girly-girl" she would do that. I think her "cute geek girl" look is a lot more memorable and suits her style of singing, too. (Also, a makeover like that sends a message, "Your look doesn't have much mass appeal." I think that's wrong.)

Gwen should learn how to respect their looks and work with it.  I think Korin's singing would have been better if she hadn't felt unnatural and uncomfortable about her appearance in addition to everything else a performer is worrying about.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 4

Regina leaving from Team Gwen would be fitting--and she got a nice bonus performance from the steal, the chance to do something more current. I don't mind if Keith is the one eliminated from Team Adam either. Seems the voting got it about right.

Half of each team is leaving. It will be interesting if America voted Jeffery and Ellie through. Gwen would realistically be choosing between Braiden, Korin, and Viktor. Of those three, I would choose Korin but I know better than to try and predict Gwen.

I think Team Adam will move forward Jordan, Amy, and Shelby.

Half of each team is leaving. It will be interesting if America voted Jeffery and Ellie through. Gwen would realistically be choosing between Braiden, Korin, and Viktor. Of those three, I would choose Korin but I know better than to try and predict Gwen.

Half? Wow, I didn't realize it was that many. I wish they'd keep 4 for another week.  I agree with you about Korin. but I think Gwen will save Viktor instead.  I agree about Team Adam, but it's too bad they couldn't keep a team of four this week. I wouldn't mind seeing Korin or Blaine get one more week before their elimination. Just seems so fast. 

My guess would be:

Team Adam: Jordan, Amy, Shelby 

Team Gwen:  Jeffrey, Ellie, Viktor (though I'd even prefer Braiden over him, to be honest)

But Blake was right.  Gwen's team actually stomped Adam's.  Didn't see that coming.

I didn't watch the episode (just the performances on Youtube), but is Blake pulling that shit again?  I remember he did it in last season's playoffs, saying how Christina's team lapped Adam's. 

I wish Gwen understood that many of us are bored silly by girls/women all striving for the same look that Gwen has. Korin's style isn't a turnoff, it's her way of expressing herself as an individual. If she wanted to be a "sexy girly-girl" she would do that. I think her "cute geek girl" look is a lot more memorable and suits her style of singing, too. (Also, a makeover like that sends a message, "Your look doesn't have much mass appeal." I think that's wrong.)

Gwen should learn how to respect their looks and work with it.  I think Korin's singing would have been better if she hadn't felt unnatural and uncomfortable about her appearance in addition to everything else a performer is worrying about.

This, a thousand times!  Korin just looked lost. She brings the quirk and she embraces the quirk. So why not let her do that? We've got the singers with wackadoodle hair, tattoos, piercings, and they all get to keep their "look."  Why not Korin? I don't mind the approach of, "Here, let me show you what you COULD do/be."   But not forcing it, to be more marketable.  I think it backfired tonight. Sweet girl. And very pretty, too.   Give her something weird to sing - Brand New Key?  59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)? The Streak?! TV them songs? Yes, I'm old. 

That said, I don't mind Braiden's makeover.  I think the disconnect between his mature voice and his boyish mop of hair is distracting in a way. But let him wear his glasses!

Not impressed with anyone really tonight. I thought the song choices were odd, and the performances iffy. I would love to hear Amy do an album of lullabies. She's not much of a performer, to me, but I find her voice easy to listen to when she does well. I thought her song was a good fit, but didn't think she did well with it.

Maybe Viktor can do the theme from The Love Boat. Kind of catches both the lounge singer and the cruise ship singer...

Edited by SandyToes
  • Love 3

BTW: How does Christina Grimmie get MORE and MORE annoying each time we see her?  And then gave her a live bit with Carson now?  Ugh.

And show, we get it.  Not only The Grimmie, but Gwen cares more about what people are wearing than what's coming out of their mouths.  Double Ugh. Gwen, I sometimes half respect you, but you HAVE to make sure the "what you are wearing" talk is done off-camera, like it is with the other coaches (I'm sure if Blake doesn't have these conversations personally with his contestants, some production person does).

• Love 1

Does Gwen have something against people wearing glasses?  I think both Korin and Braiden look better when they're wearing their glasses, not to mention that they can actually see when they do!  Korin's particularly, fit her face very well and are really cute.  C'mon Gwen; give the poor girl her glasses back!

I like Amy overall but I wasn't impressed with her performance of "The Way You Look Tonight."  I think the time has come for her to sing something from a year that begins with a 2 instead of songs that are 60+ years old.  (And that's coming from a Baby Boomer, BTW.)  

I wasn't able to watch all of the show live as I was out last night and didn't get home until 9:10 EST.  I wanted to vote though so I voted based on the iTunes studio versions, all of which were much better than the live performances.  I think there were lots of nerves live.  I was able to catch most of the performances I missed On Demand earlier today.  A couple of comments based on the studio vs. live versions:

I'm delighted that Gwen brought Ellie back as she's one of my favorites.  I wish someone else could bring back Lyndsey though.  :(   While I enjoyed Ellie's stage presence, I thought she was a bit flat on "Ex's and Oh's".  It seemed to me to be just a bit low for her.  A key just a little higher would have been better.  Her studio recording is very good.

I usually disagree with Adam's song choices for his team members but I actually thought giving Shelby a Linda Ronstadt song was a good idea in that it's right at the intersection of country and rock.  I liked Shelby's performance overall but I didn't care for the way she ended the song, which Blake said was different from what she'd done in rehearsal.  Sounded as if he didn't care for it either. Her studio version was much better IMO.

I didn't care for the song Gwen picked for Viktor.  I understand that his falsetto is going to be highlighted each week but in the Knockouts we also got a small taste of his lower register which is very appealing.  Didn't get any of that last night.  I do like him and it looks as if he might now be in trouble.  IMO Gwen's a fool if she doesn't bring him forward but she already eliminated both Lindsey and Ellie to advance Braiden.  My bet is she'll do it again and that doesn't please me.

Looking forward to tonight.  I hope Blake brings back Nadjah.  I really liked her.

BTW: How does Christina Grimmie get MORE and MORE annoying each time we see her?  And then gave her a live bit with Carson now?  Ugh.

And show, we get it.  Not only The Grimmie, but Gwen cares more about what people are wearing than what's coming out of their mouths.  Double Ugh. Gwen, I sometimes half respect you, but you HAVE to make sure the "what you are wearing" talk is done off-camera, like it is with the other coaches (I'm sure if Blake doesn't have these conversations personally with his contestants, some production person does).

It's going to make me nostalgic for the Christina Milian days, isn't it?

• Love 1

Mostly a snoozefest, and not a single singer I really feel like backing this year.  I'm just hoping someone will surprise & emerge, or at least a couple stellar performances out of nowhere during the lives.  Yeah...I was surprised by Adam's choice of who to bring back.

• Love 1

I thought it was an uneven night, in keeping with the somewhat lower talent level this season.  My favorites were Jeffrey and Ellie.  Though I recognized that Jordan gave another superb vocal and seems to be the designated winner, Jeffrey and Ellie also had very good vocals and did a much better job of performing their songs.  I did also enjoy Shelby and Blaine.  My problem with Victor is that I also find him to be swarmy and a little too unoriginal.  Plus I've never liked that song.  Everyone else disappointed (several of them suffering from really horrendous song choices). 

My guess would be:

Team Adam: Jordan, Amy, Shelby 

Team Gwen:  Jeffrey, Ellie, Viktor (though I'd even prefer Braiden over him, to be honest)

I would be happy with those 6 going through, though I completely disagree about Braiden as an alternate.  I thought he had one of the three worst performances of the night, along with Regina and Keith.  Unfortunately I suspect that Gwen is going to put Braiden through no matter what, particularly given his relatively high iTunes ranking.  I just hope its not at the expense of Ellie.

But Blake was right.  Gwen's team actually stomped Adam's.  Didn't see that coming.

It did? Going by the i-Tunes rankings of their songs given above, Adam's team's songs were first, third, sixth, seventh, tenth and last (? I don't remember who the last member of his team was) while Gwen's was second, fourth, fifth, eight, ninth, and eleventh (?). To me that seems pretty evenly matched, especially since only about 20 spots separate 5th through 9th (61-82). Even if you give Gwen the edge, I wouldn't exactly call it a stomping, especially with Jordan fairly securely ahead in the top spot (at #3) and Adam with two in the top 30 of that ranking given above to Gwen's one.

Which is a bummer for me, because I'd rather see Blaine. I really liked his performance of "Never Tear Us Apart."

But I'll also admit that's a bias on my part. Confession: I admit to not being very girl-power when it comes to these competitions, and I tend to greatly prefer male singing voices to female ones. (Which is kind of ironic, considering that my speaking voice is fairly high and girly. Fortunately for me, it sounds very different inside my head compared to what other people have to listen to... I feel sorry for them sometimes). Some years on this show - and American Idol where it can be even worse - I get bored when only women singers are left. Terrible of me, I know...

I'd still rather see Blaine make it through...

I'll show myself out now.

I just can't get into Jeffrey's stylistic choices. I like his personality in his TH, but when he starts singing - it's just not my style. Having a bit of a hard time with Jordan, too. 

I was glad to see Ellie back, thought she did okay with the song - would've liked it better if I were paying full attention, apparently, because I think her stage presence made up for some of the weakness in the vocals.

Shelby entertains me, even when her singing isn't perfect.

I find Amy lovely to watch - it was a standard I love, but it wasn't as effortless (at all) as Adam tried to play it as. 

Korin's discomfort was quite hard to watch. I enjoy her quirkiness and her emotion, and I just felt like 'Adia' was a bit demanding - I get the Sarah M. quality of her voice, but there were probably other songs that could have been a little better fit.  

Not a Regina fan... 

I liked many of the 80s/early 90s throwbacks, though. Keith is growing on me.. which means he's not long for the show ;) 

I would have loved to have Andi & Alex back :(  Hopefully we'll see more of Krista! 

Edited by Grandma Saracen
  • Love 2

Nope, he doesn't hold a candle to INXS, even the mostly unplugged version:

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=AxtX6GMBmA8

;->

I like INXS, don't get me wrong, but once I heard Ash's blind audition, even the original seems bland.

Now, I'd never seen INXS live, so that may make a difference.

I know why we liked Regina. We've never heard that song. I know OF Adele; I've heard her sing a few things, but never heard this song. So other than the breathiness, we thought it was great.