Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E12: A Boy or a Girl

Absolom
  • Start Topic

I have to say it....Aurora has boundaries?  As my grandmother would have said that child ain't right. In grandma's world view standing out from the crowd so definitely was a big issue and almost always meant trouble some day. 

• Love 5

I'm a little behind here since I just watched this today. How much of the show was spent on grocery shopping? I hate grocery shopping and I hate watching OTHER PEOPLE grocery shopping even more. WTH?

I agree with everyone that said Christine needs a med adjustment. Girlfriend needs to take it down a notch or ten. And this may be extra mean, but the little Kody spawns need some speech therapy. Some of the littles have kind of an Elmer Fudd thing going with their "R" words. It makes them kind of hard to understand at times. I guess they will out grow it.

I skipped through most of it. If I were Maddie, I think I would have been super pissed at them dragging that bad Maddie tape out again. It was cringeworthy the first time, but even worse this time. They seem like a nice couple and why her family thought it was OK to embarrass her like that is just beyond me. It wasn't one bit funny and I bet Caleb was thinking what a bunch of morons. He would be right too.

Edited by toodles
  • Love 2

Christine bringing up the Bad Maddie skit was nothing but passive aggressive hatefulness. No idea why she felt the need to portray Maddie negatively in front of her finance. Jealous that Maddie is in love and happy? Jealous that it's one of Janelle's kids and not yours? Just being a major bitch? 

• Love 3

Christine bringing up the Bad Maddie skit was nothing but passive aggressive hatefulness. No idea why she felt the need to portray Maddie negatively in front of her finance. Jealous that Maddie is in love and happy? Jealous that it's one of Janelle's kids and not yours? Just being a major bitch?

All of the above. It was just mean. Christine frequently does really stupid things and then is surprised when it turns out badly.
  • Love 1

Maddie and Caleb look so genuinely happy. I've always liked Maddie, and I hope they have a good marriage. I think she knows TLC -- and Christine -- well enough to know its all show biz, and she'll soon be pretty much gone. Yeah!

• Love 1

Ok showing my History Nerd side - until Jane Austen/Regency/Empire Waist Dress times, most women didn't wear undies bc they had heavy long skirts. Then when they started wearing bottom undies because of the slimmer skirts, a whole lot back then were 'crotchless' - came down to your knees or right below, and had a slit in the crotch so you could pee. Sometimes with a button, sometimes, not. Not really a cut out hole, but no sewn seam, so late 1800s Mormon undies or any 'drawers' were like that. One reason the Can Can dance was so risque, is because when the dancers did cartwheels and high kicks, you didn't just see their legs, but you saw their lady bits through those split bloomers as well. 

So............keeping on topic......I don't know how the Browns, especially in earlier seasons, could wear anything like traditional temple garments under those coochie cutter tight jeans and sausage casing Spanx tees under spaghetti tops. Newest episodes, there are far more shorts, tanks, lower necklines, etc., so you'd see them there, too. 

thank you.  I love cultural history.

I have to say it....Aurora has boundaries?  As my grandmother would have said that child ain't right. In grandma's world view standing out from the crowd so definitely was a big issue and almost always meant trouble some day. 

Aurora makes me sad.  I have a soft spot for her for that reason.  

• Love 1

I DVR'd a few episodes of a show on A&E called "Escaping Polygamy."  I don't know how I missed it the first time around.  It features Kolleen, the blonde who made an appearance on Sister Wives a couple of seasons ago.  While I am certain that some of the show is reenacted and scripted, it features real members of the Kingston cult trying to escape the compound.  The majority are young girls who have been presented with a list of potential husbands, where every man on the list is either a relative (uncle, half-brother, cousin), several years or decades older than the girl, or both.  These girls are between the ages of 14 and 18.  Some of the stories involve mothers moving several of their children under the cover of night to avoid having their young daughters abused by the Kingston men.  I have gotten tears in my eyes, and sat with my mouth open in disbelief, as the narrators of this show talk about the lineage of terror from this clan.

And then we have the Browns.  Are they a church?  Well, sometimes - when Kody knows that he's got anthropology students watching.  Are they modest?  Well, sometimes - but it's pretty hit or miss.  Are the kids encouraged to follow polygamy and its tenets, as set forth by the Church of Kody Brown?  Not really...I guess they don't have to if they don't want to.  Does Kody lead by fear?  Hard to say, but mostly he just runs around from mirror to mirror, making sure his hair looks okay.

Real polygamy is scary, and awful, and abusive.  Kody's brand of polygamy is ridiculous in comparison.  He's not following anything but his own loins.  He makes rules that are very bendable, depending on how motivated he is to get off the couch and enforce them.  His kids are leaving one by one and so far, none of them are following their father's church and its rules.  What this all says to me is that Kody is making a mockery of a very serious issue.  I don't see how Kody's beliefs, if we can call them that, are rooted in anything but his own brain.  Maybe I'm comparing apples and oranges here, and I'll admit to not really being clear on the differences in the Mormon sects.  But having watched Sister Wives, followed by watching Escaping Polygamy, it just deepens my disgust of Kody Brown.

/end rant, just had to get this off my brain.

I am the opposite.  At least Kody is not super strict with his wives and children. They have some freedom.  He is an ass.  The worst part is the jealousy of the wives and playing favorites.  There are some real horror stories from some of these sects.  There is a show on ID called The Wives Did It and it shows some very messed up situations.

razzleberrypie, the browns don't/can't wear temple garments as they aren't LDS (mormons).  only LDS members in good standing and blessed wear temple garments.  i  don't know what sect the browns are but as far as i know, they don't have a temple.

LDS members wear their garments at all times unless swimming,etc.  my mother was buried in her temple garments and temple wedding dress. 

• Love 3

razzleberrypie, the browns don't/can't wear temple garments as they aren't LDS (mormons).  only LDS members in good standing and blessed wear temple garments.  i  don't know what sect the browns are but as far as i know, they don't have a temple.

LDS members wear their garments at all times unless swimming,etc.  my mother was buried in her temple garments and temple wedding dress.

Couldn't the various sects--including the Browns--choose to adopt the garments if it fit the tenets they set for themselves? It seems to me that any religion, no matter how miniscule a splinter group it might be, can create a smorgasboard of practices. I don't know if the.Browns do wear or ever have worn garments, but it's plausible they may have carried the tradition over from their LDS roots--especially in the pre-TLC days when they were still going through the motions of adherence.

They were AUB, but seem to be the Church of Kody more and more - make up and discard rules as they choose, but loosely based on AUB. So even if they can't officially wear LDS garments or go inside the exclusive parts of LDS temples, do they have their own version of garments? 

I've read that the AUB has their own version of garments and they are very similar to LDS garments.  In an early episode of the series there was a quick glimpse of Kody's garments as he was packing.

thank you.  I love cultural history.

Aurora makes me sad.  I have a soft spot for her for that reason.  

Me too. All I see when she inserts herself into yet another attention grabbing action is desperation. I would love to bring her to my quiet little house and give her all of the attention she craves.

• Love 1

All I have been taking from the past couple of episodes is how normal and well-adjusted Janelle's kids are in comparison to the others. So far we have:

Logan - has turned out to be a respectful man with a normal girlfriend who is in the right place in their relationship for his age

Maddie - doesn't want to be polygamist but respects her parents and is dating what seems to be a nice guy who loves her 

Hunter - off at the naval academy doing something with his life 

Not to say that Christine or Meri's older kids aren't also normal, but it just struck me how Janelle's kids really could be like any other people out there in the world and not 'Brown-ed'. 

All I have been taking from the past couple of episodes is how normal and well-adjusted Janelle's kids are in comparison to the others. So far we have:

Logan - has turned out to be a respectful man with a normal girlfriend who is in the right place in their relationship for his age

Maddie - doesn't want to be polygamist but respects her parents and is dating what seems to be a nice guy who loves her 

Hunter - off at the naval academy doing something with his life 

Not to say that Christine or Meri's older kids aren't also normal, but it just struck me how Janelle's kids really could be like any other people out there in the world and not 'Brown-ed'. 

Agree about how squared-away Janelle's kids seem, but I don't see that as more specific to hers than the others. Aspyn certainly seems every bit as happy, average, and strong a young woman as Maddie, for instance--staying in college and participating in her sorority. Mykelti and Mariah are...well, I have hope, but they're both still up in the air, to me. Some of what they say and tweet leans a little far into Brown-ish territory. Time will tell. :)

Hunter is at the Air Force prep school, though. Not the Naval Academy.