Type keyword(s) to search

Crazy Ex-Roles: Cast in Other Roles

And lest we think it's all about his singing, here's a wonderful showcase for his acting, from an early episode of the 3-season web series Submissions Only:

The specific scene is late-ish in the episode, but it's not long in any case, it's all entertaining, and the buildup helps set him up.

(The cold open also has a great scene for my favorite theater married couple, Danny Burstein and Rebecca Luker.)

Edited by Rinaldo

Rinaldo - I remember you saying that Santino Fontana's understudy was on when you saw Cinderella? Was that understudy Nick Spangler (winner of one of The Amazing Race seasons, with his sister, Starr)?

No, it was a new understudy, getting his scheduled performance as part of his put-in process. His name was Sam Lips. There's even a bit of a facial resemblance! -- for some of the first act I was convinced that the understudy slips were wrong and I was seeing Santino Fontana after all.

Lips.jpg

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 1

He took the role when everyone assumed that Crazy Ex-Girlfriend was dead after Showtime passed on it. Then when it was picked up by the CW, CXGF had first call on him; fortunately he's been able to do both, as Shades of Blue shot during the summer and finished in August. (I wonder if the shooting times overlapped a little between the two series, as Santino's hairstyle changed after the second episode.)

The web page for Shades of Blue gives eight cast members without getting to him, so I was wondering if he'd had to be dropped from the cast. But he's still there; it must, as alrightok says, be a small role. In fact The Futon Critic lists him as "recurring guest star."

All I know is listening to the Frozen soundtrack for the bajillionth time with my kids now brings adult thoughts during Love is an Open Door thanks to Santino. Sorrynotsorry that this makes it a little more listenable at this point

• Love 1

I'll admit that I'm no fan of Broadway shows so I had never heard of Santino Fontana before this show.  So I youtubed some of his performances, including Cinderella, and I was...not impressed.  I think his singing is just ok.

Besides being a longtime fervent Santino Fontana fan, as I've said elsewhere in the forum, I've also enjoyed Donna Lynne Champlin for a couple of decades. I happened to see her NYC debut, a rare concert presentation of Jerome Kern's last Broadway show Very Warm for May (May is the ingenue lead, played by DLC who must have been around 20). I enjoyed her a lot (her vocal sound was reminiscent of a young Judy Garland, a comparison that's also been made by others including herself) and occasionally saw her in something or heard that she'd been cast in something.

But just recently I've become aware that she recorded a solo CD, Old Friends, entirely on her own: in her own apartment, on 6 weeks' leave from Billy Elliot with a broken ankle, with a budget of $1000. And she blogged about the experience, including the trial and error of clearing rights, deciding on a songlist, doing the arranging, laying down tracks, getting the product duplicated, all of that. It's highly entertaining and extremely profane. Like, incredibly so. I loved it. And I love the CD, which arrived yesterday and which I've just finished hearing for the first time.

• Love 2

Thanks for the info on her CD. I love that she did Still Hurting by Jason Robert Brown! I'll have to check that out.

Randomly I was just at my niece's production of the musical Little Women last week (not the version Sutton Foster starred in on Broadway some years back, but an earlier version of that show) and was looking up the history of the production. Apparently it had a NYC reading starring none other than Donna Lynne as Jo! I bet she was excellent. 

Reading Donna Lynne's blog (which, as with most blogs that contain a narrative, is a bit of a challenge as you have to go backward) is very informative about how much of a working actor's life in NYC is filled with readings, benefits, etc. -- whatever you can grab. She also has a little background on "Still Hurting," as she was in the running for the original NY production of that; as she puts it, if it wasn't ultimately between her and Sherie Rene Scott, it was close, and they're often up for the same parts. But then she went to opening night and had to concede that they chose right. In her word, "Yep. Woulda cast her too. Moving on..."

• Love 1

... well, that was a waste of his talents. Cop #9, stepping in and out 2 or 3 times in an episode to deliver exposition in a New Yawk accent. Any minor-league actor could do it. Maybe he'll have a bit more in later episodes?

From his point of view, I can see that after Crazy Ex seemed to be dead at Showtime at the time he'd decided to build a TV presence, he was glad to get something, anything, on a network cop drama. And it's kind of cool that he can be seen in such contrasted roles on TV at the same time. But I'll be glad when Greg is back.

• Love 1

Indeed he did! I just saw that one just last week. I also caught up (On Demand for $$) with his one episode of Royal Pains, in which he played a visitor who organizes zombie races. (A while back I saw his one Good Wife episode, from Season 2, in which he was, of course, a father who needed his insurance company to pay for a special operation for his baby son.)

Looking over Rachel Bloom's IMDb, one of her only live-action parts prior to the series was a guest spot on How I Met Your Mother.  I looked at that episode on Netflix just to see her; she has like one line (albeit with an exaggerated New Yawk accent), and throws a drink in Ted's face.

I'd noticed that too, Justaperson. (It came up on his IMDb page.) So that's at least 3 from that lovely web series to turn up here. Not that surprising, as they both need to use people adept in musical theater.

In connection with Christopher Durang's play Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike, which has been making the rounds of the regional theaters, here's an article about the actors who have played Spike in various productions. As the character is a goofy boy-toy with no modesty and a tendency to partially disrobe, the interviews focus on how they got in shape for the part. David Hull played the role in the LA production (directed by David Hyde Pierce). I read about the cast when the production took place a couple of years ago, but of course Hull's name meant nothing to me then.

Edited by Rinaldo

He has a really expressive and varied speaking voice. It served him well in the long scenes of Act One (which was telecast), and in 1776 earlier this month. I didn't know he was doing audiobooks, but I'm not at all surprised.

Edited by Rinaldo

He has a really expressive and varied speaking voice. It served him well in the long scenes of Act One (which was telecast), and in 1776 earlier this month. I didn't know he was doing audiobooks, but I'm not at all surprised.

I've listened to other actors on audio (in fact, just finished the Hamiltome audiobook with Mariska Hargitay) and they're usually just fine (with the exceptional exception of Kristen Bell as Veronica Mars in the first VM book, which, obviously, that's a gimme) but he's *really* phenomenal. If you like the mean/sarcastic parts of Greg--this is those turned up to about 75. His delivery is just fantastic on any of the funny lines (and for a twisted book, there's a lot of humor here.) And he also does some fantastic voice modulation for imitating/quoting other characters on the audio. I had to remind myself it was still all him, they were all so vivid and varied. I can't wait to move on to the second one Hidden Bodies, that he also did. 

• Love 2

That sounds like I'll have to get hold of it. Thanks for the mention.

I think it's accurate to say that he's the #1 in-demand actor in his age range (early 30s) on the NY stage these days. He's shown that he can dominate the stage (or of course blend into an ensemble as needed) in drama, comedy, musicals, whatever. He seemed to choose this year as his move into "TV visibility," and (though he hasn't said so) I rather suspect it's so that when he returns to the stage, he can be the Big TV Name that the producers need for bankability, rather than losing the job to that person.

• Love 2

I think it's accurate to say that he's the #1 in-demand actor in his age range (early 30s) on the NY stage these days. He's shown that he can dominate the stage (or of course blend into an ensemble as needed) in drama, comedy, musicals, whatever. He seemed to choose this year as his move into "TV visibility," and (though he hasn't said so) I rather suspect it's so that when he returns to the stage, he can be the Big TV Name that the producers need for bankability, rather than losing the job to that person.

Well, there's also Jonathan Groff, Aaron Tveit, Matthew Morrison, Skyler Astin, and maybe even Ben Platt all doing the same kind of mix of TV/movies/stage stuff though. 

• Love 2

I don't know if he's #1 because there are definitely others but increasing his visibility on TV and through movies definitely would help him pick his parts in addition to helping him earn more money.  I believe Megan Hilty, who was wonderful as Ivy on Smash, talked about this.  Being recognized helps with parts.  It's not the only factor but it certainly helps.

I'd agree as well though I wouldn't say Aaron Tveit has quite enjoyed the same critical/awards success as I'd say Santino, Groff (Hail King George III II!), or even MM have. Of course, AT certainly gained the gaggle of female (and some male) fans and followers. Nothing wrong with that, I'd count myself as one of them. Has Skylar Astin done anything else substantial on broadway/stage besides Spring Awakening? At this point, he's pretty firmly in movies/tv. 

Edited by JustaPerson

Well, there's also Jonathan Groff, Aaron Tveit, Matthew Morrison, Skyler Astin, and maybe even Ben Platt all doing the same kind of mix of TV/movies/stage stuff though. 

Those are all choice casting for musicals, certainly (Santino and Skylar A are costarring in an Encores event this summer). But Fontana, in addition to being one of that group, has been cast in leading roles in nonmusical plays by Arthur Miller, Oscar Wilde, Neil Simon, James Lapine (based on Moss Hart), and Stephen Karam in New York (after playing Hamlet at 23). I'm not sure any of those other excellent gentlemen have quite achieved that.

• Love 1

Those are all choice casting for musicals, certainly (Santino and Skylar A are costarring in an Encores event this summer). But Fontana, in addition to being one of that group, has been cast in leading roles in nonmusical plays by Arthur Miller, Oscar Wilde, Neil Simon, James Lapine (based on Moss Hart), and Stephen Karam in New York (after playing Hamlet at 23). I'm not sure any of those other excellent gentlemen have quite achieved that.

Ah, I'm such a musical fan I tend to forget about plays. Yeah, they all do far more movies/tv/musicals. But I think both Groff and Tveit (oh and definitely Morrison) probably have wider name recognition so far. When you think of a successful young broadway actor who's crossed over, those guys will come to mind first for most people. (They're also...arguably...much more conventionally handsome, so I'm sure that helps.)

But I saw recently that Santino's also writing a show for some theatre? Ah here it is, not quite that but: Santino Fontana to Adapt and Star in New Version of Roar of the Greasepaint Musical: http://www.theatermania.com/new-york-city-theater/news/santino-fontana-roar-of-the-greasepaint_76676.html

Good for him. You've got to make as many opportunities for yourself as you can in competitive industries.  

ETA: Oh, I forgot Jeremy Jordan. He's another one whose become more prominent in TV/movies. 

Edited by taragel

Groff and Morrison for sure; maybe Tveit too (though I'm less sure there; though I watched Graceland faithfully, I don't think that many others did).

But wide name recognition wasn't exactly what I was talking about (though of course we can talk about that too); I was thinking more of respect within the theater business, as someone who can carry conviction in pretty much any dramatic or comedic role within his age range. I get the impression that he's first choice for directors and casting people, in cases where "we need a Big Name to draw audiences" isn't a controlling consideration. 

Still, Morrison is a bigger deal and just wait until the Hamilton contracts end in July and Leslie, Daveed, Chris, Oak and Anthony are out there. They're the hottest guys in theatre right now and people are excited to work with them. (I'm not even going to count Lin, because at this point he's on a whole other level.) Santino is respected and I like the guy but the truth is there are so many truly talented guys in theatre and Santino is just one of a crowd. Doing this and Frozen have really helped his profile, but I don't think it's necessary to hype him up beyond anyone else.

• Love 1

Groff and Morrison for sure; maybe Tveit too (though I'm less sure there; though I watched Graceland faithfully, I don't think that many others did).

But wide name recognition wasn't exactly what I was talking about (though of course we can talk about that too); I was thinking more of respect within the theater business, as someone who can carry conviction in pretty much any dramatic or comedic role within his age range. I get the impression that he's first choice for directors and casting people, in cases where "we need a Big Name to draw audiences" isn't a controlling consideration. 

Ha, I was one of the few who watched Graceland until the bitter end with you! As much of a trainwreck as Smash and The Good Wife turned into, I appreciate that both shows featured a lot of Broadway talent.

• Love 1

Good point about the Hamilton cast, vibeology. I know that Leslie Odom, Jr., at least, is leaving this summer. I'd add Andrew Rannells to this list - or at least very close to it - with his Broadway roles in Book of Mormon, Hedwig, and briefly as George III III and his TV appearances on the short-lived sitcom The New Normal (co-star) and Girls. He's in his late 30s but could easily pass for younger.

• Love 1
Groff and Morrison for sure; maybe Tveit too (though I'm less sure there; though I watched Graceland faithfully, I don't think that many others did).

Broadway/theater ignoramus here : I know of Groff and Morrison, but nothing of Tveit or a Graceland show.  However, since I usually find myself liking whatever Rinaldo does, I guess I should check into it. 

As for the Season 1 finale, I had to look up Lea Salonga, since the name was familiar but I couldn't name any projects offhand.  Much to my surprise, I saw that she was the original Miss Saigon in 1989.  Yes, I vaguely remember that happening ... the big hoopla over the discovery and promotion of a young star and Asian (Filipina, I see) in a major vehicle.

(edited)

Lea Salonga was amazing in Miss Saigon, especially when you consider how young she was. She also the singing voice for two Disney princesses: Jasmine (in Aladdin) and Mulan. She was also the first Asian actress to play the roles of Eponine and Fantine in Les Misérables on Broadway (Asians being cast in non-Asian roles is tough enough but it's even rarer on Broadway).

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

Not exactly a role, but Rachel Bloom is going to take on Michael Shannon on Lip Sync Battle Thursday, June 16 at 10:00 PM on Spike. 

She announced she was taping back in October on Twitter (I went looking for a video preview or something to link to) so y'all may know already. Those two should be a hoot.  

On April 19, 2016 at 0:11 AM, JustaPerson said:

I'd agree as well though I wouldn't say Aaron Tveit has quite enjoyed the same critical/awards success as I'd say Santino, Groff (Hail King George III II!), or even MM have. Of course, AT certainly gained the gaggle of female (and some male) fans and followers. Nothing wrong with that, I'd count myself as one of them. Has Skylar Astin done anything else substantial on broadway/stage besides Spring Awakening? At this point, he's pretty firmly in movies/tv. 

I think Groff might be number one due to the " Hamilton" buzz, but MM and Santino are right there with him. I know most people think of MM as " the guy from Glee," but he had an impressive stage career before that with award nominations and such. Rinaldo already went through Santino's impressive credits, so I won't rehash that.

On 4/19/2016 at 9:16 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Ha, I was one of the few who watched Graceland until the bitter end with you! As much of a trainwreck as Smash and The Good Wife turned into, I appreciate that both shows featured a lot of Broadway talent.

still sad about Smash, Graceland and Galavant as well.

Came across this looking for something completely different; Donna Lynne Champlin's Wonder Woman Playlist

Champlin’s list is a mix of…well, pretty much everything, from Wonder Woman theme songs to pop to Broadway to SNL skits. She also agreed to share her thoughts on each song, so strap in (because this wonder woman pulls no punches when it comes to her opinions and language) and turn up the volume. Here’s how Champlin went about assembling her list…

" What inspires me most about Wonder Woman (besides her innate super powers, intelligence and discipline), is that she has grown up in a world where women are in charge and sexism doesn’t exist.  She was literally raised in an idealized, feminist vacuum. So her greatest super power is her purity of perception; her objectivity. She finds the sexism in our world, not even so much perplexing as laughable. Chauvinism is not a threat to her; it’s absolutely f**king ridiculous. And she will commence to kick your ass if you disagree. It’s her clarity and her ability to call bullsh*t on our patriarchal society (and her combat skills to back up those calls) that I admire most. "