Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: The Collector

This episode was better than some previous ones, I thought. It still dragged, though, and felt longer than it was. But I liked the collector, he amused me.

I'm guessing Murphy eating brains will bring trouble. Can he turn into a zombie already? I'm tired of his blueish, fugliness. Though I imagine we will never get rid of Murphy.

Is the season 10 episodes? I feel like basically nothing has happened.

Citizen Z totally froze to death, didn't he?

This episode was a little up and down for me.  It did feel a little slow in the middle.  I realized how little 10K normally speaks when I was almost shocked to hear his voice in this episode.  If I heard him and didn't see him, I wouldn't know who it was.  Keith Allan did do an excellent job of showing Murphy's fear and vulnerability at the end of the episode.  Our blue friend showed his humanity.  

• Love 1

Is the season 10 episodes? I feel like basically nothing has happened.

Citizen Z totally froze to death, didn't he?

Season 1 was 13 episodes. Season 2 is 15.

I think DJ Qualls was working on his Amazon Prime series, The Man in the High Castle.

• Love 1

I was so bored with this episode. I was never so happy for an episode to end before. 

Treading water seems to be what they are doing. How many times are they going to lose Murphy? It seems like every episode they need to track his ass down. There has been little movement this season. 

• Love 1

I love it.  The frustrated cosplayer had me in stitches.  I love the pop culture references, and the George R.R. Martin thing,  "A dirty guy with a crossbow tried to save him."  Imagining the apocalypse starting at a Comic Con is hilarious to me.

Anyway, since this show isn't really a drama, I don't expect anything to be "happening."  It's the same as last season.  They go from town to town and meet weird characters, dust off and move on. A ZA travelogue.  It's like an old school 70's or 80's series, like The Incredible Hulk or The A-Team. 

• Love 14
A ZA travelogue.

Yes, that's exactly what it is.  I loved this episode.

I usually can't stand Murphy's blue/green ass but I give him credit for not wanting to eat 10K.  I still wonder if Murphy really is "the cure" though.

• Love 2

I found that very suspenseful, because I was pretty concerned he was really going to bite him.  And they are developing an overall plot over just what Murphy is going to become.  Plus that zombie kid out there.

When he tasted the brain down in the pit, I actually said out loud, Don't do it, Murphy!  lol  But I laughed when he rubbed it on his gums like cocaine.

• Love 7

Usually I just want to slap Murphy, but this time around I felt so bad for him getting zapped over and over and over.  I was hoping the Collector would get a taste of his own medicine.  I felt he got off way too easy by just being eaten by 3 zombies.  Loved the nod to Comic Con and the other zombie show.

I felt kinda bad for Murphy getting zapped over and over.  However, I do think it would have been a good idea for the crew to take the Collector's zapper to use on Murphy when he tries to run again.  I'm tired of them having to look for his ass.

• Love 2

Actually I did kinda like the part when Murphy and 10k finally had it out about Casandra. That and the fact that Murphy didn't want the kid to see when he did his Z mojo on the walkers who were chowing down on the collector tells me that Murphy still has a bit of soft spot for him. But I do think the gang should hold on to one of those blood bags, y'know just as a back up plan.

I'm just really glad this season they're finally giving Nat Zang more to do this season than just show how good and creative 10k is at killing Zs.

Edited by madhacker
  • Love 2

I love it.  The frustrated cosplayer had me in stitches.  I love the pop culture references, and the George R.R. Martin thing,  "A dirty guy with a crossbow tried to save him."  Imagining the apocalypse starting at a Comic Con is hilarious to me.

So, is a 'A Promise of Spring' the title of the forthcoming 6th book in the 'Song of Ice and Fire' ?  Since this show is supposed to take place in the near future 3 years into the ZA.

I thought the best pop culture reference was when the Collector called Murphy "Brighteyes" when Murphy was waking up and unable to talk -- that's what Zira called Taylor in the original 'Planet of the Apes'.

Actually I did kinda like the part when Murphy and 10k finally had it out about Casandra. 

I'm just really glad this season they're finally giving Nat Zang more to do this season than just show how good and creative 10k is at killing Zs.

Murphy and 10K really needed to hash that out -- and now they can move forward.

How many weeks in a row has this been when 10K has been in peril ?  I'm also glad that 10K finally has had more lines.

Citizen Z has apparently frozen to death and has probably become a zombie.

• Love 2

I thought the best pop culture reference was when the Collector called Murphy "Brighteyes" when Murphy was waking up and unable to talk—that's what Zira called Taylor in the original 'Planet of the Apes'.

I missed that one. But I did catch that "some dirty guy with a crossbow" at Comic-Con was a Daryl Dixon cosplayer.

I think my favorite meta reference was the Collector and Murphy agreeing that the best zombie stories are both scary and funny.

• Love 5

The GRRM scene had me in stitches. He clearly had a lot of fun doing that.

I too love that 10k got some focus, and that he and Murphy hashed out their issues.

A ZA travelogue.  It's like an old school 70's or 80's series, like The Incredible Hulk or The A-Team. 

Agreed. It's a stylistic choice that works really well for the show, especially with all the Western hints.

Edited by greenbean
  • Love 2

I thought the best pop culture reference was when the Collector called Murphy "Brighteyes" when Murphy was waking up and unable to talk -- that's what Zira called Taylor in the original 'Planet of the Apes'.

It wasn't a "Total Eclipse Of The Heart" shout out?????? :( 

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm still trying to figure out how the 3 Zs got past their respective invisible fences.  When Murphy first approaches 10K in order to bite him (while they are both still standing up) you can see in the background that all 3 Zs are gone from their confinement, but there was no noise while they escaped so how did they get out and where did they go after they escaped ?  Did they all decide to step outside for a breath of fresh air first before coming back inside to bite the  Collector ?

They should have all made a beeline immediately for the nearest human -- which was the Collector.  Instead they disappeared and the just suddenly appeared behind the Collector as Murphy went to bite 10K.  I'm thinking that a scene was cut out where Murphy controlled them and had them be quiet as they escaped their confines.

And that construction worker still wearing a hat 3 years into the ZA.  Makes about as much sense as the blasters all wearing suits and ties.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

ottoDbusdriver:  

And that construction worker still wearing a hat 3 years into the ZA.  Makes about as much sense as the blasters all wearing suits and ties.

Yeah, wouldn't zombie clothes be pretty much barely-there rags by now (not that I want to see zombie bits on my screen - blech!). I mean, I buy clothes now, and because they're often so cheaply made (even from decent stores like J Crew or the Gap), they're falling apart after a couple of wears.

I liked this episode, though it was a bit long. The Collector was one twisted mofo. Glad 10K was smart enough to enter the museum through another entrance to see if The Murphy was being kept there. I loved, loved, loved the scene where The Collector and Murph were looking at various zombie movie posters and talking about them. That's the first time I think I've ever seen a show about zombies do that. It needed to be done!

Wouldn't the room the live zombies were being kept in absolutely reek of ugh, rotting flesh? I wish they would address stuff like that. I'm sure being filthy and running around would make people less sensitive to the smell, but 10k just walked into the zombie display room like someone had just Febreezed it. I'm hyper sensitive to smells, so I'd probably have to wear a bandana or something over my nose, or else I'd have to stop every 5 minutes to throw up.

Where is Citizen Z? Off on a run to the Arctic Petsmart to get some kibble for Cute Dog Who Still Doesn't Have a Name? At least call him Doggy Z or something.

• Love 4

Ugh.  Way too much Murphy.  Wish they could lose him for a few episodes and just have their own adventures.

Hmmm, remember Die Zombie, Die...Again? Be careful what you wish for lol.

Seriously though, I think Murphy makes this show. Also amazing is how they do so much with so little, production-wise.

• Love 4

I loved it. A lot of eps this season have been kind of whiplashy, with different scenes not really seeming like they belonged on the same show. This one, although the mood varied appropriately, still felt like it fit together as one piece.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 2

Z Nation is my guilty pleasure.  It's funny and isn't afraid to poke fun at other shows and itself, which gives me a break from the unrelenting grimness of TWD. However, I don't really want a bunch of Murphy heavy episodes.  I enjoy it most when the band is all together.  

And I'm definitely liking that 10K is getting more time.  Also, I hope this means that Cassandra will not show up again having magically been resurrected by Murphy.

Loved the GRRM scene and all the pop references.  I keep waiting for there to be a zombie sitting on a Harley with a crossbow slung over it's back.  I bet a zombie Daryl would smell better than human Daryl any day of the week.

I missed the brighteyes reference, too.

• Love 2

Treading water seems to be what they are doing. How many times are they going to lose Murphy? It seems like every episode they need to track his ass down. There has been little movement this season. 

Vasquez actually said the same thing this very episode.

Hmmm, remember Die Zombie, Die...Again? Be careful what you wish for lol.

Too true.

I like that the Collector ordered Murphy not to bite 10K on the face.  Cuz we wouldn't want to mess up his pretty face.  Which is like 90% of why I watch this show. 

And for the stuff like "dirty guy with a crossbow."  That was funny.  :)

• Love 1

I'm still trying to figure out how the 3 Zs got past their respective invisible fences.  When Murphy first approaches 10K in order to bite him (while they are both still standing up) you can see in the background that all 3 Zs are gone from their confinement, but there was no noise while they escaped so how did they get out?

I can't answer the rest of the questions but Murphy stole the fence activator at one point.

I liked the gear the Collector was wearing when we first met him.  But why wouldn't he (and everyone else) wear it all the time?

• Love 2

I can't answer the rest of the questions but Murphy stole the fence activator at one point.

I liked the gear the Collector was wearing when we first met him.  But why wouldn't he (and everyone else) wear it all the time?

I'd say comfort and mobility.  It's the same reason cops and soldiers don't always wear their body armor when on duty. 

• Love 1

I'd say comfort and mobility.  It's the same reason cops and soldiers don't always wear their body armor when on duty. 

But in ZombieWorld, you're always in a combat situation.  I would gladly cede comfort and mobility over not getting eaten!

But in ZombieWorld, you're always in a combat situation.  I would gladly cede comfort and mobility over not getting eaten!

Yeah but wearing too much gear would lead to being eaten.  Body armor is heavy and it does slow you down.  When dealing with zombies it's usually better to be quick than durable.  That said, I would  look for something that's bite resistant yet lightweight.

• Love 2

Yeah but wearing too much gear would lead to being eaten.  Body armor is heavy and it does slow you down.  When dealing with zombies it's usually better to be quick than durable.  That said, I would  look for something that's bite resistant yet lightweight.

My first thought was a wetsuit,  Couple that with samurai armor, or at least some kind of plating at the neck plus boots and neoprene gloves.  

I disagree about quick vs protected.  If you have 100 zombies coming at you from all directions, I'd rather have full plate armor (which would slow me some, but not as much as people think) than little to no protection.  

My first thought was a wetsuit,  Couple that with samurai armor, or at least some kind of plating at the neck plus boots and neoprene gloves.  

I disagree about quick vs protected.  If you have 100 zombies coming at you from all directions, I'd rather have full plate armor (which would slow me some, but not as much as people think) than little to no protection.  

Ideally, you'd want something that wouldn't affect your top running speed, wouldn't have you sweating like a pig  and that wouldn't hamper your ability to shoot or swing. 

As for the quick versus protected argument, if you're mobbed by 100 zombies then it's likely game over anyway.  Hell, even if you were covered head to toe in steel, you won't be able to overpower that many opponents.  With enough tearing and pulling they'll eventually get to you.  I still say quick and stealthy is the way to go in a zombie apocalypse.

• Love 1