Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

I wonder if they will avoid both Oracle and Watchtower for Felicity's codename.  (Probably DC wouldn't release Oracle to them anyway.)  One of the fanfics (For Bluer Skies, I think) has Sara calling Felicity "Bug" because of her tech stuff.

I'd like her to have a strong name indicating the importance of her role on the Team even though she doesn't wear a mask. Something like Quiver?

Oliver called her watching out for them as "overwatch" in the 2.5 comics (not sure if he actually meant to call her "Overwatch" since the comics are in all caps), so that's probably what it will be. 

Edited by apinknightmare
(edited)

Oliver called her watching out for them as "overwatch" in the 2.5 comics (not sure if he actually meant to call her "Overwatch" since the comics are in all caps), so that's probably what it will be. 

No, please no.  Just Noooooooooooo! 

Sorry, I just think that's a stupid code name not to mention that it's a freaking plug for MG's book.  There's got to be a better name out that that is not Overwatch, Watch Tower (which I actually like but it's too Chloe Sullivan, IMO) or Oracle.

Quick Look...I will accept the re-use of any of these characters

Cyber-Cat (minor Catwoman antagonist).  Just use Cyber and it totally works

Cypher - minor Batman villain, he appeared in 4 issues

Sync - Marvel Mutant, dead for years and he was a guy

Uplink - created for BoP 52, only appeared in 7 issues, minor badgirl, PsionicTelepathy

Edited by Morrigan2575

No, please no.  Just Noooooooooooo! 

Sorry, I just think that's a stupid code name not to mention that it's a freaking plug for MG's book.  There's got to be a better name out that that is not Overwatch, Watch Tower (which I actually like but it's too Chloe Sullivan, IMO) or Oracle.

It's not a plug for his book - "overwatch" is an actual military term for a smaller unit watching out for a larger unit. I'm guessing his book is named after that. 

• Love 1

It's not a plug for his book - "overwatch" is an actual military term for a smaller unit watching out for a larger unit. I'm guessing his book is named after that. 

Yes, I know it's an actually military term but, let's be real the only reason it was used in the 2.5 comics was because of his book.  Whether you call it and Easter Egg, Nod, Pat on the Back or Plug it's all the same shit.  

Yes, I know it's an actually military term but, let's be real the only reason it was used in the 2.5 comics was because of his book.  Whether you call it and Easter Egg, Nod, Pat on the Back or Plug it's all the same shit.  

Meh. It doesn't bother me at all - the vast majority of the viewing audience won't even have a clue that he has a book by the same name, or even care enough to find out.

But, maybe it'll be something different. 

• Love 1

Lmao I just read that spoiler from TVline that apple person is a treat. But I guess that's a good thing for LL because being ADA should affect how she goes about vigilante-ing. Which wasn't even touched upon in S3 because her arc was so terribly handled. 

There's always Proxy which was uses in the press Batgirl who was oracle's mini me.

(Although personally I hope they don't use it considering I have an original character by the same name and I feel like DC robbed from me, but that's not really the point)

Lmao I just read that spoiler from TVline that apple person is a treat. But I guess that's a good thing for LL because being ADA should affect how she goes about vigilante-ing. Which wasn't even touched upon in S3 because her arc was so terribly handled.

I love that they mentioned her having a secret identity. One she doesn't give much of a shit about since she's running around town wearing a mask BUT LEAVING HER FINGERPRINTS EVERYWHERE. Which will be even more maddeningly stupid if there's another anti-vigilante task force this season.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 5

So basically WM confirms that in less than a year Laurel is a fully trained vigilante. Uh...okay then. I shouldn't be surprised--they did the same thing with Roy--but it definitely makes you wonder why it took Oliver "5 years in Hell" to get there. He must be a slow learner.

• Love 4

Laura Hurley

14m14 minutes ago

Laura Hurley ‏@lah9891

My code name pitch for Felicity: "Lighthouse." She always keeps watch and brings them safely home.

I like it!

So basically WM confirms that in less than a year Laurel is a fully trained vigilante. Uh...okay then. I shouldn't be surprised--they did the same thing with Roy--but it definitely makes you wonder why it took Oliver "5 years in Hell" to get there. He must be a slow learner.

ETA: disregard this response, I'm tired and misread, haha. Yeah. A really slow learner!

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 1

I could get behind Lighthouse.

I don't know what else they could do for Laurel to be honest. They still can't have her bumbling around after five months it would bring the critics out even more. They wrote themselves into a corner with her and this is their only solution. Frankly I don't care to watch any more training. I'm holding in my BS until they show her being better then .... Basically another mask. She shouldn't be able to take Oliver or Diggle or Sara. Even Thea should have the upper hand.

I have to say if I was a fan of Laurel, I wouldnt be too pleased with that answer. It sounds like background player to me.

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 3

Plus three years operating in Starling.  So it's taken Oliver 8x as long as Laurel.  Well, I have been saying Oliver's dumb as a doorknob...I guess the EPs agree.

Laurel was getting beat by average street criminals but could defeat the LOA guys. Basically keeping Laurel the most inconsistent character on Arrow. 

They probably have to make Sara insane because if she came back fully functional they wouldn't need Laurel on the team. 

• Love 4

She was getting beaten by street thugs AND successfully taking down LOA redshirts in the same episode last season.  For whatever reason, it feels like surrender/exhaustion to me, they just suck at writing Laurel.  Maybe they know she's so screwed up at this point that even the writers have stopped caring.

• Love 4

I don't know what else they could do for Laurel to be honest. They still can't have her bumbling around after five months it would bring the critics out even more. They wrote themselves into a corner with her and this is their only solution.

I agree with this. What else can they do with her and for her that they have not already done or tried to do? She is just a character that doesn't really add anything. Right from the start they developed her in such a manner that she doesn't have a lot of resemblance with the comic and while I am all for the creative approach of spinning the characters, it just didn't work for her. And after bringing Sara in it was just that much more obvious what Laurel wasn't. A natural addition to the crime fighting team. 

Now they basically say she is at the end of her learning period. To me that means she is considered an equal to Oliver and Diggle. (Doesn't mean she can beat them but she is respected among them as an equal) And as always she will get a family drama storyline about the Canary because the viewer has not seen that storyline before. In order for her to fit in and be relevant they basically have to undermine their own stories (be it Oliver's training or Sara's abilities). And I have a feeling that they will continue to do that because they just don't really know how to write Laurel. 

Edited by Belinea
  • Love 3

I think she's at the end of her learning period because there's really no storyline to spending more time teaching her.  Ted Grant is on another show, Nyssa is back in Nanda Parbat, and short of having someone get her gloves that actually hid her fingerprints, what else is there to do?

I really really hope they don't make her equal to Oliver or Diggle (sadly, she'll probably be better than Thea and that's not right) but I think the one thing both Laurel lovers and Laurel haters can agree on is that they don't want to spend more showtime screentime teaching her to fight.

• Love 5

Laurel was getting beat by average street criminals but could defeat the LOA guys. Basically keeping Laurel the most inconsistent character on Arrow. 

They probably have to make Sara insane because if she came back fully functional they wouldn't need Laurel on the team. 

I still have to shake my head that the same episode that showed Oliver failing to break a window after swinging into it with actual velocity, they showed Laurel jumping thru a window to grab a helicopter ladder. I get it was flashback Oliver, but he was still three years in.

I'm curious about the whole showing Laurel struggling with DA/BC stuff. We don't have a recurring guest star tied to Laurel yet. Numerous ones for Oliver, Mr. Terrific for Felicity, Parker Young for Thea. I was thinking Lady Cop would have reasons to interact with Laurel, but nothing has been specifically stated.

I still think Lady Cop is going to be apart of HIVE and I would love interaction with Diggle.

I totally believe that they're going to make Laurel as skilled as Oliver and Diggle. I'm willing to bet they're even going to a scene where she's better than Oliver or saves him when he makes a mistake because he's rusty after 5 months of vacation. The show tends to be pretty heavy handed when there's a message it wants to get across, and they'll want to convince everyone that BC is not a sidekick, she's a full fledged superhero.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 5

They don't have to show her fight-training, but there's a lot more to heroing than just fisticuffs.  Oliver has been shown to be a master tactician (as has Digg).  Something as simple as always knowing all exits, and knowing where to stand when surveilling (something Oliver pointed out to Roy early on that Roy was screwing up).  So I would appreciate some learning-on-the-job stuff for her, I guess.  Overall, though, I just don't care about Laurel.  I mean, other than the Sara stuff, which will only be 4A, what does she even have to do?  Be a background fighter like Roy was last season, except less because Oliver hopefully won't be absent for several episodes?  Why pay leading lady prices for that?  I honestly don't understand why they don't cut her loose at this point.

I totally believe that they're going to make Laurel as skilled as Oliver and Diggle. I'm willing to bet they're even going to a scene where she's better than Oliver or saves him when he makes a mistake because he's rusty after 5 months of vacation. The show tends to be pretty heavy handed when there's a message it wants to get across, and they'll want to convince everyone that BC is not a sidekick, she's a full fledged superhero.

I wonder what facial expression SA will make if that happens.  He tends to let his feelings for Laurel show on-camera, and that's when she's not actually showing up Oliver.  I am curious re how much power he has over the show.  I'm sure not big plot points, but stuff like that, maybe? 

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 9

I still have to shake my head that the same episode that showed Oliver failing to break a window after swinging into it with actual velocity, they showed Laurel jumping thru a window to grab a helicopter ladder. I get it was flashback Oliver, but he was still three years in.

Haha oh wow. I can't believe I never caught that before.

Laurel isn't going to have a personal relationship with Oliver (I mean I just don't see how she will be anything other than a Co worker s4) so she needs to be linked to the the main vilian somehow.

Or she will be a secondary character no matter how well she fights. Imo...

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 1

I think there just isn't a place for the Black Canary as a regular on Arrow, period.  I love Sara, but if they switched out Laurel for Sara, they'd have a lot of the same problems.  BC is just too big to be on Green Arrow's team, and this isn't an ensemble show.  Pretty much everything has to tie into Oliver, and all the emotional shenanigans that tied both Sara and Laurel to Oliver are pretty much resolved.  With Sara instead of Laurel we'd have way better fight scenes, but other than that I think the show would still have a lot of the same problems.  I'd probably say that BC should be, at most, recurring.  So if there was no LoT, I'd get rid of Laurel (and Quentin), and sub in Sara but have her be recurring at most.  She and maybe Nyssa can swing into town for various investigations and to kill Malcolm all over the place, but I don't think I want even Sara as a regular. 

• Love 13

Overall, though, I just don't care about Laurel.  I mean, other than the Sara stuff, which will only be 4A, what does she even have to do?  Be a background fighter like Roy was last season, except less because Oliver hopefully won't be absent for several episodes?  Why pay leading lady prices for that?  I honestly don't understand why they don't cut her loose at this point.

I was done with Laurel at the end of S2, and nothing that happened last season made me reevaluate my feelings. She's not my BC, and I refuse to refer to her as such. But to save my sanity, I'll continue to skip her scenes if possible and pretend she's not there. I don't think I've ever had to do that with a show before, but that's where I'm am with Laurel. I'll just roll my eyes when she inevitably ends up saving the day over much more experienced fighters. 

I am very curious as to what Dig and Felicity's code names will be. 

And, of course, the most important spoiler of all - Sally (or her distant cousin) will be back in the Arrow Cave! 

• Love 9

I honestly don't care that they made Laurel BC (I never have). I also don't care that she's on the show either, nor did I do it to stir up Laurel hate. The only reason I brought up my post on the WM quote was that the notion of Laurel or Roy or Thea be a full-fledged superhero completely contradicts what the show has set up on how Oliver Queen, billionaire playboy, became the Green Arrow. It seems totally nonsensical to have a show centered around the origins of a man becoming a superhero over the course of eight grueling years and then undercut that by having now three other characters able to be at that level in one. It diminishes the whole point of the story they've created.

• Love 10

I agree that BC is too big a character to be a regular on a show about GA's origin story.There's only room for one masked hero to get the kind of screentime and focus BC needs and all others are sidekicks. I wouldn't even want Sara on full time but at least she would fit better in the team and wouldn't look laughable in fight scenes.

I doubt they would make her equal in skills with Oliver and Diggle but they probably will with Thea.I think they'll just drop the training and getting beaten by muggers and then wining against the LoA.It will be more like it was in the finale and the Nanda Parbat episode where were just supposed to buy that she can fight. Her balancing being BC and the ADA isn't much of story,it's kind of the theme of the season like identity was in season 3.All characters will be affected by issues like that.It just looks to me like she has no story other then with Sara.They didn't even bother giving her a LI,I was sure they will this season.

• Love 1

Imo Sara worked in s2. Yes she deffinately became the second main character but never more important than Oliver. They also didn't have to kill off Oliver for her to rise. Sara and Oliver had to be "killed" off to show Laurel's orgin story.

But I do agree the BC needs her own show or to be a few episodes a year recurring Character.

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 1

The biggest thing for me, even if Sara became second to Oliver was, they worked well together and fought well together. They had their differences with Sara being where Oliver began. But he knew that and was trying to help her like his team helped him. That was a story I was interested in. Yeah, he wronged Laurel by cheating on her, but I'd imagine he felt a lot more guilt at what Sara became. He wouldn't have wished what happened to him on anyone, so to see that's what happened to someone he cared about was probably rough. Not mention that SA seemed happy to be working with CL and that she could do some of the stunts with him. He never looks happy around Laurel. 

Plus Sara was the type of character that would leave town to do her own thing. She's been on her own for so long, traveling the world that I don't think she'd stay put even for her family.  So she could've been the BC that came in and helped whenever Team Arrow was in over their heads. Oliver would gladly call up Sara and see if she can join them for a fight. 

I actually don't care about Sara reuniting with her family. I'd rather see Oliver reaction to Sara coming back to life for the 4th time for him. And see Sara (when she's better) meeting Baby Sara. 

• Love 4

Imo Sara worked in s2. Yes she deffinately became the second main character but never more important than Oliver. They also didn't have to kill off Oliver for her to rise. Sara and Oliver had to be "killed" off to show Laurel's orgin story.

But I do again the BC needs her own show or to be a few episodes a year recurring Character.

Sara worked in S2B because Oliver had a ton of stuff to resolve with her.  He had all this guilt from taking her on the boat, and he had some residual stuff with Laurel, that tied in to Laurel's stuff with Sara.  But they resolved all of that.  There's really nothing left between Oliver and Laurel.  Oliver and Laurel should just be Facebook friends.  There's more of a real friendship between Oliver and Sara, but there's no tension there now, so there's no point in having her in every episode.  They can't go back to the romantic well, and to me it's not worth Sara being a regular just to see her fight alongside Oliver and have coffee with Felicity, when she can do those things as a recurring.

• Love 8

I'm wondering if it's their egos that just won't admit failure with the Laurel character. They don't have to kill her, just say she got a job in another town and she leaves. I think one reviewer even said they don't understand why KC puts up with this show and the vitriol she gets. She didn't seem to have trouble finding work prior to Arrow. You'd think she would rather find a show that she can be the actual lead or one that works better with her skill set. Sometime it just takes finding that right role and people's attitudes can change. I know their are a couple of actors and actresses that hated on one show and loved on another. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4

I think there just isn't a place for the Black Canary as a regular on Arrow, period.  I love Sara, but if they switched out Laurel for Sara, they'd have a lot of the same problems. 

Absolutely. I miss Sara, she's the only legitimate BC of the Arrowverse to me, but I feel that I spent S2-B basically saying this. The TV show has Diggle and Felicity as Oliver's "other half" so there's no place imo for a BC in her comic capacity.

The writers seemingly believed that the problem with Laurel = she wasn't the BC, hence the insta-hero "plot". So you bet she's going to be as skilled as Oliver and Diggle. Believe me, if I have to eat crow on that particular topic I'll find it extremely tasty; but I don't expect to get any at my menu, since they believe that it will make the audience love her. Whether they're right or wrong is to be seen.

Although I want Quentin to get his daughter back, and Sara and Oliver interacting is imo a given, I really hope that Sara will also interact with Diggle and Felicity. I think that a shout-out or reference to their standoff with her about Roy version Mirakuru'd could be interesting, if she's mentally instable and dangerous at first. I'd love for Diggle to stand up for her the way he did for Roy.

• Love 2

I wonder if they will avoid both Oracle and Watchtower for Felicity's codename.  (Probably DC wouldn't release Oracle to them anyway.)  One of the fanfics (For Bluer Skies, I think) has Sara calling Felicity "Bug" because of her tech stuff.

I'd like her to have a strong name indicating the importance of her role on the Team even though she doesn't wear a mask. Something like Quiver?

It is For Blue Skies/For Darker Days... It's Sara's pet name/nickname for Felicity. I think its a cute nickname. But I'm not sure how it sounds as a codename. I like Oracle, but that is probably tied up in DC rights. Watchtower I think it too long. Quiver sounds either dirty or weak, plus its almost too connected to Arrow that it doesn't feel as original.

Personally I would like for something to reference her brains like SAGE, also people used to go to Sages for advice & that seems to FS role as superhero maker - and its green :) Or something techy like WIFI, which sorta looks a little like wifey which is kinda a sarcastic play on the word since she is the team's wifey in many ways.

Sage would be my first choice.

ETA - I could get behind Lighthouse too. I have bad feeling Diggle is going to be Overwatch, not sure I like that name for anyone.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1

I'm of two minds with Laurel's fighting ability. I don't want to see her bumbling around like last season. That was painful enough. But I also think it's unrealistic that she'd be an equal to Oliver or Diggle in fighting ability, especially after so short a time. And yes, I felt the same way with Roy too. 

But honestly, I'm also at the point where I don't care anymore because I'd rather concentrate on other characters. So if Laurel being a proficient fighter means I won't spare time to roll my eyes at her, I'm all for it. 

I just hope s4 does a better balance on all the masks than last season. 

• Love 2

I think one reviewer even said they don't understand why KC puts up with this show and the vitriol she gets. She didn't seem to have trouble finding work prior to Arrow. You'd think she would rather find a show that she can be the actual lead or one that works better with her skill set. 

I think she was really upset that she wasn't BC right away (I can understand that) but now I truly do believe that she believes with the mantel of BC everything else will fall in place for her character in time. BC is going to be a great fighter, an equal to Oliver and maybe down the road she believes that Laurel will be once again the main love interest.  

I somehow doubt the producers will do themselves any favors with the BC/WC storyline. But I will wait and see. I wasn't Sara's biggest fan but after S3 I cannot wait to have her back. 

Edited by Belinea
  • Love 3

Personally I don't care about Laurel's skill level or how quickly she reaches it. I mean, she got her ass beat by a street criminal at the beginning of 3x21, but was beating the ass of a LoA member at the end, so...her fighting abilities are plot driven like they've always been. Literally don't care enough about her to even think about it anymore. Now, if we could just eliminate Lance Family Drama from the show, I'd be happy. 

Sadly, that won't ever happen.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 10

She was getting beaten by street thugs AND successfully taking down LOA redshirts in the same episode last season.  For whatever reason, it feels like surrender/exhaustion to me, they just suck at writing Laurel.  Maybe they know she's so screwed up at this point that even the writers have stopped caring.

LL is that star player that you drafted in the 1st round, dropped a whole lot of money on for an iron-clad contract & then they failed to excel at all. Now they suck up money under your salary cap & warm your bench. You can't off load them to another team, because nobody wants them or wants to pay for them. So every week they get dressed up throw the headphones on and get to pat the real players on the back/butt after big plays. Everyone now & then they get to go on the field if you're either losing or winning really big. I'd say they might get to play if the 4th string, if the coach is desperate.

No offense, its like Tim Tebow & the NFL, except at least he had a decent college career, some training camp potential & some broadcasting/drawing crowds appeal. And when all else fails, everyone at least seems to like having the guy around the locker room - unlike LL who seems to always be missing from or seems out of place in the locker room. LL barely makes the outfit/walk look presentable & her character as written fails most of the time as both LL & BC. Beyond her comic naming, I'm not sure what potential she ever had.

• Love 15

They should make DD the new Star City DA. Laurel working for the enemy without knowing it would be just the kind of hilarity I need to tolerate her.

I don't agree with DD as DA. I also don't want to waste DD on LL. I would love to see LL working with the enemy & have no clue.

Frankly, as others have pointed out above LL/BC just needs to be a recurring role at this point. Call her in every few eps if you're in a bind, but other than that let her be doing her own thing off screen. If people really want to see the BC story then they should advocate for her own show. There just isn't room on this current TV show.

• Love 1

Even if she has been replaced as the hero's love interest, this is still a good gig for Katie Cassidy.  She gets to play a kind of role she probably wouldn't have on the teen drama soaps, and she gets some physical action scenes.  Unless she gets a starring role in another show on a better channel, I don't see her going anywhere.  And if like Olivia Wilde she gets a movie role during the shooting season, I'm pretty sure they'll let her have the time off.

I don't remember any stand-off.

Sara wanted to kill Roy when he was on Mirakuru, the others wanted to keep him alive.

Sage would be my first choice.

I think of a sage as someone wise and knowing (as opposed to level of intelligence). For me, Diggle is the sage on the Team.

I think we're just going to have to make the best of it whatever they stick her with.  (Still hate calling it Star City in fanservice).

• Love 2

I think, if she's just the new Roy, I can deal with that. I never knew how Roy magically picked up his archery skills over the summer either, much less the fighting. And I agree, I'm not that interested in seeing her flail around anymore either. It's if they start treating her as an equal to Oliver and/or Diggle that I will have an issue, or if they start partnering her and Oliver in the field a lot.

• Love 3

I think, if she's just the new Roy, I can deal with that. I never knew how Roy magically picked up his archery skills over the summer either, much less the fighting. And I agree, I'm not that interested in seeing her flail around anymore either. It's if they start treating her as an equal to Oliver and/or Diggle that I will have an issue, or if they start partnering her and Oliver in the field a lot.

Hopefully SA's and KC's anti-chemistry prevents that.  Because it's not just their romantic chemistry that is anti-, it's all their chemistry, except for intentional "I have known you for a really long time but pretty much can't stand you anymore" chemistry.  I think Oliver will partner a lot with Thea, which I'm looking forward to...as long as the inappropriate Oliver/Thea chemistry is gone.

• Love 3

I think of a sage as someone wise and knowing (as opposed to level of intelligence). For me, Diggle is the sage on the Team.

I think we're just going to have to make the best of it whatever they stick her with. 

I can understand your view about Diggle, although he kinda sucked with advice in s3 for plot purposes. But unless they change how they write his character. He very rarely designs any of the plans. And the only person that goes to him for advice is OQ. He's basically OQ's personal Yoda, but nobody else really calls him up when they need advice. Even FS chose to cry alone in her office as opposed to call him up. Whereas OQ, BA, RP, SL, LL, RH, Walter and probably Mr. Terrific all turn to FS multiple times for advice, pep talks & logistic support. MM, Ras & Wells were all impressed with her skills. She is wise beyond her years & people seek her out for stuff. That's why I think she is more the Group's SAGE than Dig.

Honestly, I hope they find good codenames for both of them. It was not as easy as I thought. Granted I only gave myself a few minutes to think of something. But its hard to sound cool, fit the character, work efficiently over a comms unit & not be confusing. Its why I think its dumb that they just threw some colors to help differentiate BC v. WC, Green Arrow v. Arrow. And why I hope they keep TQ as Speedy instead of Red Arrow. I love colors as much as the next person, but I feel like code names should have a little more inspiration than a Crayola box.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 2

I don't understand the note on the script page MG just tweeted: Ep 4x04 (Previously ep 4x05) This will air as the 5th episode of season 4.

Is Matt Ryan guesting in/Sara getting resurrected in the 4th ep now instead of the 5th, or...? Why did they change it to 4x04 if it's still airing 5th? 

Edited by apinknightmare