Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

That could be a reason Caity has been sworn to secrecy. She may know about the Ra's al Ghul casting and what her part is going to be with him.

I am interested in what their relationship was/is like. Meeting the father is hard for anyone when you first start dating, I can't imagine what it's like with that father being Ra's al Ghul. But of course only Sara would date the boss's daughter, even when said boss is the most dangerous assassin that ever lived. Since we had to sit through the made for Laurel drama Lance family dinner, I want to see some al Ghul family dinners with Sara. That one has to got to be much more entertaining. 

• Love 1

IF Ra's al Ghil is coming on, everyone would be sworn to secrecy.  I'm still hoping that CL can't release any details because they want to announce her becoming main cast at SDCC.

(edited)

According to GreenArrowTv, they have info regarding the directors of the first two episodes (which might change)

• 3x01 is Glen Winter (“Dead To Rights,” “The Promise”)
  • 3x02 is Wendey Stanzler (“League of Assassins,” “Heir to the Demon”)
Edited by abhi

When Oliver was asked how he got Steve Aoki to be the DJ at the opening of Verdant, he replied "I dated his sister."  Now that Devon Aoki has been cast for the Hong Kong flashbacks, will that be an easter egg?

http://tvline.com/2014/07/07/arrow-brandon-routh-the-atom-season-3/

Daniel has been cast and I'm shocked and kind of excited.

Brandon Routh is set to play another DC Comics super man — this time on Arrow.

The erstwhile Man of Steel is joining the CW hit’s third season in the recurring role of Ray Palmer, aka DC superhero The Atom, TVLine has learned exclusively.

An unparalleled scientist and inventor, Ray will play an unexpected role in the lives of Oliver and (rumored love interest) Felicity as the new owner of Queen Consolidated. Palmer’s plans for Queen Consolidated’s Applied Sciences Division will be shrouded in mystery.

In addition to his myriad comic book appearances, Ray/The Atom — who can alter the size of his body as well as Brandon Routh Arrow The Atomother objects — has turned up in numerous animated series, including, most recently, Cartoon Network’s Young Justice. Arrow marks the character’s live-action debut.

Ehh, I've never been impressed with Brandon Routh, he's always been bland and boring imo. 

But it's interesting that he was just filming a movie with Caity Lotz along with Tom Cavanagh from the Flash. 

• Love 1

I think Routh is good at comedy, or playing the straightman to crazy comedy elements goung on around him. He should work well with EBR/Felicity. I would keep him limited to light scenes and it'll work. He's limited but he's fine in the right role, IMO.

I like Routh when he's allowed to be funny, and he sure does the have exact look I was expecting them to go for, because this IS the CW. And Arrow has been going for this exact kind of stunt casting for guest-stars right from the start, so there's also that going on here.

• Love 1

I like Routh when he's allowed to be funny, and he sure does the have exact look I was expecting them to go for, because this IS the CW

Routh did pretty well in Scott Pilgrim I thought. A dry wit. Which, from what I recall, works well for Ray Palmer.

Yes, to both. I only know Atom from JLU but I liked him in that show/cartoon.

I've not seen him in anything yet, but I am glad that they chose him. For a while, I was worried that they would go down the Barry Allen route (because of Felicity), but I feel as though they've got a guy who does look like he could be good competition for Oliver. 

Seriously though, Felicity is going to start seeing the guy that has control of Oliver's company that he is trying to get back?  Set up or let's make Laurel look good by making Felicity look bad (disloyal)?!  The Deadline article mentions that he will be around for 14 episodes.

I only know Routh from Superman and I was not impressed at all with him. Bleh.

Someone on Twitter said his acting was = Katie Cassidy as Laurel Lance.

• Love 1

Hmm. Loved him in Scott Pilgrim and even rather liked him in Chuck (he certainly knows what he's going to be facing in terms of pissed off shippers at any rate) until they made him all revengey and psycho. Superman was dire but really not his fault. I'm happy with this :)

• Love 1
(edited)

Seriously though, Felicity is going to start seeing the guy that has control of Oliver's company that he is trying to get back?  Set up or let's make Laurel look good by making Felicity look bad (disloyal)?!

There are so many ways this could go. Felicity could still be working at QC and he could take an interest, she could volunteer to date him in order to get some information on him in order to give Oliver an edge. Maybe they're dating at the beginning of the season, and then he takes over QC? Who knows? Even though the people in charge are out of touch in many ways, they have to know that making Felicity act against her character will backfire big time, especially if it's to make Laurel look good/bring Laurel and Oliver closer together.

They haven't made a misstep with her yet, IMO. I hope they don't start now.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 6

Superman Returns was a mess indeed but I didn't think he really helped matters. He wasn't terrible he was just so BLAH.  I know Superman is kind of blah, but MO Reeves and Cavill brought charm and charisma and humor to the character underneath the blah and angst.

• Love 1
(edited)

Count me in as not thrilled about this.  I fully agree that the many, many issues with Superman weren't his fault - I'd even argue that he was the least of the problems - but he's just been totally bland in virtually everything I've seen him in.

Edited by quarks
  • Love 2
(edited)

His casting makes me go hmmm. He is 35 in real life so I see now he is more of a likely competition for Oliver concerning Felicity's affections as SA is in his thirties too.

I do wonder what they're going to do with he and Felicity seeing as he's taking over QC. They did some terrible things to my Miss Smoak (thankfully not too much) so I hope they don't go OOC with her again. I just don't see her as doing anything innately disloyal to team Arrow but personally all bets are off.

I wonder how they're going to set it up. There was already rumours of her dating Oliver as his EA, so what will happen if she actually dates the boss now. Hmmm.

Edited by ArrowLimbo
  • Love 1
(edited)

So, not Ted Kord. I don't know much about this character though (Wikipedia here I come). Just on first read though, he sounds a bit like Marvel's Ant Man with the size changing, which is an interesting choice considering that movie's out next summer.

As far as Brandon Routh goes, I've only seen him in Superman Returns and Chuck. I didn't dislike him in either, but he's also not enough to make me want to watch again. (Now if they'd cast Zachary Levi on the other hand....;)) It's been a while, but just going off my admittedly poor memory, "bland" is a fair assessment.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2

I'm not really thrilled with the casting of him but on the bright side if he doesn't have a lot of charm and charisma we won't have to deal with another ship war breaking out and the likelihood that TPTB try to make him a permanent love interest for Felicity and an Olicity killer is now almost zero. That was my main concern with a LI. If he has a 14 episode arc then he should be out of here a couple episodes after the mid season hiatus.

• Love 3

Well...he might be stretched over the course of the whole season. 14 episodes is a whole lot more than Isabel was in so he has something about him. He's like a mature gentleman. Hmmm. I'm doing a lot of hmmm'ing I see.

• Love 2

If he has a 14 episode arc then he should be out of here a couple episodes after the mid season hiatus.

14 episode arc doesn't mean he's in the first 14 episodes, he could appear in the entire season they just spread out his episodes. Summer Glau was in 10 episodes (1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 18, 19, 21, 22, & 23).

• Love 2
(edited)

Hands off Zachary Levi. I'm waiting for him to show up on Supernatural since he's besties with Jared and Jensen

:) Well, I don't watch SPN (in spite of missing Jensen Ackles on my screen). But Zachary Levi on Arrow might have been enough to overcome all my Laurel objections to watching season three. :D

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 5
(edited)

The only thing I've seen him in is Superman Returns so yeah I have reservations about him but look wise he's not what I expected for for Felicity's LI. Having him be the new CEO of QC could be interesting or awful depending on the writing. 

I'm even less familiar with Ray Palmer aka The Atom than I am with Brandon Routh but after a quick scan of his wiki page I think they're probably going to with the meta human explanation for his powers. Which makes me wonder if Felicity is going to become more Chloe Sullivan like. 

Edited by patchwork

Since the TV Line article mentioned that his plans for QC's Applied Sciences Division are shrouded in mystery, I'm wondering if Felicity's going to get closer to him to investigate, since the last person who had an interest in Applied Sciences tried to create an army of super soldiers.

She finds out his identity as The Atom, then faces a conundrum where Oliver is concerned maybe? I think she'll always be loyal to him though, so I'm not so worried about that part of the equation.

• Love 1

Good point on it being spread out.  I think I've been blocking Isabel out of my head if she was in 10 episodes. I would have put her in 5 tops.

I thought Arrow was going to keep the Meta-humans stuff on the Flash and keep this show more based in "reality" I thought I remembered reading that somewhere. Although I don't know how The Atom could be without powers. The earlier spoiler with Tech genius and now knowing his name I guess he will invent something that can  can manipulate the size of objects. 

• Love 2

Atom is  an important DC superhero and just like Flash, the EPs will do a good job with him. I think Routh will be in 14 episodes spread throughout the season and  if his character is well received I totally see Routh getting a regular contract next season. I guess we will be seeing the origin story of The Atom in the 3rd season and I bet he becomes a superhero at the end of the 3rd Season. 

• Love 1

Brandon Routh. I have too admit, that is a surprise.  I didn't expect them to bring in a name but I suppose he's an available name.

I saw him both on Superman Returns and on his season on Chuck.  He was a rival love interest and eventual bad guy on that show so it's hard to separate feelings since I just wanted him gone, gone, gone at the time.  I do think he is a better actor that KC (and he's gotten much better since his Superman Returns turn)

I like that he is a pretty, pretty man.  Felicity deserves handsome and I like the eye candy.  His dark coloring is also a nice contrast against Oliver's more sandy looks.   I'm going to continue in my shallow vein and wonder/hope that he's retained/can regain his Superman abs.  He may be a scientist but surely there will be a reason to insert a shirtless scene in there at some time? 

I think he will do very well playing intelligent, charming, man in charge.  I think we may lose him when the part requires lots of hidden layers but maybe that kind of stuff will be kept to a minimal or can happen more when he's by himself and can fully emote without trying to be subtle. 

So he's going to take over Queen Industries.  I'm still not sure that makes him Oliver's enemy since it's not Ray Palmer's fault that Oliver got duped.  Hmm.  More thoughts to come. 

(edited)

I thought Arrow was going to keep the Meta-humans stuff on the Flash and keep this show more based in "reality" I thought I remembered reading that somewhere.

Yes, MG said it in an interview towards the end of S2. Now that The Flash pilot was out of the way they planned to bring S3 Arrow back down to S1 levels of power (mostly tech based) while keeping the super/meta humans on The Flash.

I've been watching the YouTube vids of BR on Scott Pilgrim and Partners, I think he will do fine if they keep the character limited to light moments/comedic scenes and he should be able to play off Felicity/EBR very well.

I never watched Chuck but I have friends who really enjoyed him on the series so ill give him the benefit of the doubt as far as something heavier.

Total aside: these guys just don't believe in Continuity huh? Jean/Ray easter egg in s1 Flashback, S2 Jean is 50 and Moira's lawyer, S3 Ray is 30 and Felicity LI.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

So he's going to take over Queen Industries.  I'm still not sure that makes him Oliver's enemy since it's not Ray Palmer's fault that Oliver got duped.  Hmm.  More thoughts to come. 

Well rivals and enemies are not necessarily the same thing. 

More like Chloe Sullivan how?

I also didn't think Isabel was in 10 episodes. I put her in far less.

In the later seasons of Smallville Chloe become the tech support slash den mother of anyone meta human. It wasn't a bad direction to take her character in, although the writing for it wasn't great, it's just not something I want for Felicity. 

• Love 2

Well rivals and enemies are not necessarily the same thing. 

Exactly!  Which is why I don't /won't see it as a betrayal or some kind of disloyalty if Felicity found herself to be dating the man that took over Oliver's company.  I'd have issues if she started keeping superhero secrets from Oliver or switched teams (No Nyssa, that's not what I meant) but just dating him after Oliver presumably has made it clear (or Felicity thinks its clear) that he isn't interested, that I don't see a an act of disloyalty. 

I will cringe and weep if they make her his EA and then have her date him but that is for a whole other reason.  More likely she'll be back in the tech side of things, right?  I'm  looking for reassurance here. 

He's a good looking man but I thought Brandon Routh was just as bland and boring on Chuck as he was on Superman Returns. He even to got to play a villain and was still boring. Maybe he got better, but if comedy is what he's good at than I don't see how he'd fit on Arrow, it's not a comedy. Unless they are going with the Barry Allen personality which was basically male Felicity. So I'm not thrilled about his casting. 

There is still nothing about next season that is making me want to watch. Laurel being more involved in the show is the big issue for me, but the rest of storylines don't seem all that interesting and exciting either. Daddy issues/baby mama issues, along with the children (which don't belong on this show at all), more Laurel, more Oliver manpain/guilt with the China storyline, possibly hooking up with bland Waller, Laurel becoming Black Canary with Sara probably returning to give Laurel more of her outfit and permission to use her name while being a souless killer, cliche triangle with a shipper blocking love interest, a villain with the same name as a previous campy villain and Merlyn being alive just because he's John Barrowman. 

• Love 6

So, that Smoaked gifset all over Tumblr is perhaps the truthiest truth, then. Felicity is vigilante catnip. Her milkshake just brings all the superheroes (and Nyssa) to her yard.

Joining the chorus of "hmmm"s at Brandon Routh being cast as Ray Palmer. From what I can remember from the JLU DCAU series, I liked The Atom just fine. He'll probably do well as Oliver's rival since he's both charming and extremely intelligent. This will definitely make it really hard for Oliver to take back QC. However, Routh is not who I expected to be Felicity's supposed love interest. As pretty as Routh is, I was kinda envisioning someone with a lot more sex appeal, who can knock a woman, that's around ridiculously buff, hot men who are shirtless almost 24/7, right off her feet. But if they go more of the Barry route of a charming and sweet intellectual (who has great abs, because scientists go to the gym, too) then I can definitely see Felicity, maybe, falling for him. I sort of am wondering if the fact that it was extreme bomber Felicity Smoak who planned the nuking of the old QC Applied Sciences building might cause a bit of hilarious friction between the two. Though, people definitely have to start being a lot more careful typing out Ray and Roy, once the season starts. Then again, one's a genius and the other is decidely not, so that should help the confusion a lot. Heh.

Getting quite a bit excited for S3 now. But this is mostly attributable to Peter Stormare getting cast. I can't wait to see him as a villain, although I was hoping, from the spoilers, that he would be more like Scarecrow than Vertigo 2.0.

I totally see Routh getting a regular contract next season. I guess we will be seeing the origin story of The Atom in the 3rd season and I bet he becomes a superhero at the end of the 3rd Season.

I don't. And I will not be happy, if he does, regardless of whether or not his character gets a really great reception. This show is about Arrow and his journey to become a superhero. This is not the Justice League live version but a retelling of Oliver Queen's exploits. Sara's journey as Black Canary was fine-ish since she is very much linked to Oliver's history. They can give Ray Palmer his own show if they want the origin story of The Atom.

• Love 2

I will cringe and weep if they make her his EA and then have her date him but that is for a whole other reason. More likely she'll be back in the tech side of things, right? I'm looking for reassurance here.

I'll be really pissed if they make Felicity Ray's EA...but I was pissed they did it with Oliver

• Love 1

Exactly!  Which is why I don't /won't see it as a betrayal or some kind of disloyalty if Felicity found herself to be dating the man that took over Oliver's company.  I'd have issues if she started keeping superhero secrets from Oliver or switched teams (No Nyssa, that's not what I meant) but just dating him after Oliver presumably has made it clear (or Felicity thinks its clear) that he isn't interested, that I don't see a an act of disloyalty. 

I will cringe and weep if they make her his EA and then have her date him but that is for a whole other reason.  More likely she'll be back in the tech side of things, right?  I'm  looking for reassurance here. 

I agree.  I think this is what bothers me regarding Felicity.  I hate the idea that she might be employed at QC and dating the BIG BOSS regardless of her position. It would be different if it was a just a co-worker.   Maybe she's an outside consultant which doesn't have as much of an ick factor.  Coincidentally or not, there is a photo of EBR with a book which I have been told is about dating in the workplace.

In the later seasons of Smallville Chloe become the tech support slash den mother of anyone meta human. It wasn't a bad direction to take her character in, although the writing for it wasn't great, it's just not something I want for Felicity. 

I'd go way beyond den mother, she was the center of their League.  By the ninth season Chloe is not only the information hub for all the heroes, but she's the one that tracked them down, brought them back to the team, fixed a broken GA, set about organizing them, setting up groups and shifts and procedures.  (Which Clark the douche ignored)  She was damn near in charge of the whole thing before she used fates helmet which sent her away so she could then at the right time come back and save every single hero.  Chloe Sullivan is the only reason any hero on Smallville was even alive and hence saved the world. 

Still, no, I'd not want Felicity to have to take on that role.  It leaves no time for any personal dreams or desires.  Just because Felicity keeps meeting new heroes like Barry and Ray doesn't mean meeting them will define her. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Ray's storyline will be determined by at what stage in his hero's journey is he when we first meet him. If he is not a superhero at the very beginning, then expect to see an origin story and a more expanded role next season. If he is already a superhero, then I think Ray will be limited to this season. But with the character description, saying that he will be doing something with Queen Consolidated, I think we should expect an origin story.

Edited by abhi