Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

Wow, so Laurel gets Black Canary in 314.  Man Oliver must be the worst hero ever, he's still only Arrow.  Hell even Roy is still Arsenal and not Red Arrow yet..presumably he'll get Red Arrow when Oliver gets Green Arrow.

I'm equating Arsenal to Speedy (sidekick name) on the show even though that didn't happen in the books.  Mostly because Speedy is just stupid (IMO) and they already use it as a nickname for Thea.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

Didn't MG say that Oliver and Ray are frenemies? That suggests to me that they maybe team up for the greater good but are reluctant about it. If they clash in 317 but maybe come to a reluctant sort of truce, that would lead to them teaming up in 318. It seems like it's building to an 'all suits on deck' situation. 

Eh. I don't know. Ray being able to fly and blow stuff up with his suit just makes Oliver and his arrows redundant ON THIS OWN DAMN SHOW. Forever pissed about it tbh. 

Wow, so Laurel gets Black Canary in 314.  Man Oliver must be the worst hero ever, he's still only Arrow.  Hell even Roy is still Arsenal and not Red Arrow yet..presumably he'll get Red Arrow when Oliver gets Green Arrow

WAIT. She actually gets called Black Canary in 314?! Are you freaking kidding me?!

Laurel is a Unicorn. The laws of nature (and logic) do not apply to her.

I have stopped trying to figure anything out. Each new spoiler dims this show a little more for me.

All I know for sure, whatever happens is going to make little sense and probably require the charaters to be gumby.

• Love 16

Oliver really is a dumbass, he's still going through trials and tribulations 7 years later while any person off the street with minimal training can slap on a costume and become a comic book hero in a few months. Get it together, Oliver. Stop being so damn lazy, idiots with sticks and suits are passing you up. 

• Love 13

Stephen Amell posted a photo on facebook earlier with Willa Holland and Katie Cassidy.

He must have deleted it...

ETA: Arrow writers room Instagram page has the pic... Also, this is so me procrastinating on finishing my homework.

Edited by foreverevolving

WAIT. She actually gets called Black Canary in 314?! Are you freaking kidding me?!

Apparently MG said it on tumblr, she gets called Black Canary in 314.

Edited: changed he to MG because he could be anyone.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Apparently he said it on tumblr, she gets called Black Canary in 314.

I wonder if someone on the team calls her that or if someone on the news does? If they randomly come up with that name, how convenient. And I guess maybe her run-in with Hallucination!Sara doesn't end with her unbuckling for a bit like I thought it might.

Public enemy could be interesting, but its not really that spoilery that you would need to black it. Im thinking PROMISES BROKEN may be an option. But I like the ideas people are throwing out - Decoy Roy, Quentin secret plan arrest, Malculm drugged Roy, Traitor Roy. All of these options would be interesting. I still don't see Roy becoming crazy due to any dip it a pit. But let's face it as mentioned before the kid is pretty gullible for all his street smarts. So may be somebody promised him something for his cooperation. And he decided to do it. Or Malcolm turns on O & TA to achieve his secondary plan whenever he returns from NP. Ras could also break a promise he made. I wonder if this episode will directly involve the offer that was made in the OFFER. Somebody reneged on their promise and now all hell will break loose in SC with Sup'd up TA ready to take charge. 

As for Felicity injured it still could be her. If Oliver finds out that she is injured he may want to capture/punish whoever did it before going to the hospital. Sorta in character that he would be the hero of the day and fix the problem before seeing F in hospital, esp if they are now just "friends kinda". So maybe he misses MS, but it can't be that serious of an injury to either MS or F if MS leaves after 1 episode. Seriously the Oliver not crying does not support or detract from a possible Smoak injury, as OQ rarely cries as his default emotional response. Its more lock down & attack, so he probably wouldn't cry if F was put in the hospital, he would be mad. Im still banking more on a F injury over a MS injury. But I do think that it will be a Smoak injured over any other character.

Seriously @Menrva, you are so right! I do not understand why they claim to relish in making him a dumbass? As you listed he's proven his intelligence & skill. He makes poor choices d/t his emotional scarring & PTSD, he is stubborn & a little egotistical (but in an altruistic way) but I would not call that a dumbass. The writers should not try to dumb their characters or their audiences down. Your telling us his journey from a emotionally broken/physically damaged soul to a hero, there are gonna be missteps along the way as he gains his emotional footing. Just because he makes some poor decisions, does not make you a dumbass. There are few decisions that Oliver made, that I can say that was a really dumb decision. Even the ones that are a little miscalculated generally are rooted in some of his fears & insecurities. There are many characters that make blatant dumbass moves on the show (Laurel, Thea & Roy come to mind) and yet the writers don't praise themselves on making those characters dumbasses. Please give Oliver the courtesy of allowing him to make some mistakes without immediately cornering him as dumb.

Also if they have any plans to remove SA as the Arrow and have a rotating cast of arrows, I might actually quit the show. I don't have strong opinions about whether he works in a team or solo. But I watched Arrow on a hunch S1 and stayed because SA was amazing in his portrayal of OQ/Arrow. I want to see them get back to his hero journey. There are other characters that I care(d) about, but would I stay for them, I doubt it, not if OQ is not at the helm. Also, I really cant see him joining LoA, he already did something like that for Amanda - why would he go back to it permanently? The crowded foundry is fine for now, but let's remember who built the cave... So if he's out, Im out.

• Love 4

Apparently he said it on tumblr, she gets called Black Canary in 314.

Right. Well. That was earned. Whatever. I don't even care about that storyline anymore. The whole thing has been a giant meh. 

MG said the show changes in 'every way' after 318. IMO the only way that happens is if Oliver dies or someone on Team Arrow. Or one of them goes evil. Or maybe Oliver joins the LOA. I really don't know what else would change it that much.

Right. Well. That was earned. Whatever. I don't even care about that storyline anymore. The whole thing has been a giant meh.

MG said the show changes in 'every way' after 318. IMO the only way that happens is if Oliver dies or someone on Team Arrow. Or one of them goes evil. Or maybe Oliver joins the LOA. I really don't know what else would change it that much.

This is the man who thinks everything is epic, so who even knows.

• Love 5

These spoilers are filling me with dread.  Is episode 18 the point where I'm going to rage quit the show?  I'm already picking and choosing which episodes I watch at this point.

Ha, love the Felicity snark in the comic preview (talking to Oliver about Malcolm).  "You have a visitor.  Or as I like to call him...your new BFF."

• Love 4

but I can’t imagine another TV show doing what we’re doing.

I can't imagine anyone thinking this is something you want to advertise/brag about.

What really bothers me about this kind of stuff (Roy in the suit) is that we should be able to guess this, that is how as STORY works, and all this game changer bullshit is more of the same let's do something shocking that makes no fucking sense because it's SURPRISE. Meh.

• Love 5

Random theory: 315's game changer is probably villain-related, and then 318's game changer is Justice League related?

I keep remembering Stephen's "wait, what?" about 315, and I can't help but wonder if maybe it's a SHOCKER! last scene [Amanda Waller and Malcolm in bed. Literally. Or Ra's revives Tommy. Or something else equal parts crazy bananapants and hilarious] that's only for the audience's sake, not the characters.

• Love 1

Felicity doesn't give a fuck lol

I know its not going to happen but I really want Diggle and Felicity to take precautions with Malcolm. Hack into whatever, plant cameras. That way when Oliver is betrayed and confused they can be like "Boom! We got him."

• Love 8

I can't imagine anyone thinking this is something you want to advertise/brag about.

What really bothers me about this kind of stuff (Roy in the suit) is that we should be able to guess this, that is how as STORY works, and all this game changer bullshit is more of the same let's do something shocking that makes no fucking sense because it's SURPRISE. Meh.

The problem is that although S1 & 2 had some pretty interesting twists... S3 has been pretty predictable, even the epic moments were Meh. I think sometimes they envision themselves as these great gifts to TV writing & TV land. But really, and this is not supposed to be too insulting - but they are not. I loved S1&2, S3 has been episode by episode love some yay some nay. But they are not the 2nd coming of Shonda Rimes, Julian Fellowes, Aaron Sorkin, to name a few. Those people own their genre & their shows are always phenomenal & filled with delicious OMG, twists, character, drama and scripts to die for. As much as I love Arrow, so far S3 scripts have not even been in the ballpark of some of these great TV makers that MG thinks he falls into. Arrow helped to reignite comic book genre on mainstream TV, but this season its kinda flopped around and rested on in its laurels (no pun, well maybe a little intended). If they really want to shake things up then do it. Spin comic book genre & Arrow on its heels. To quote Devil wears Prada, the audience needs to "gird your loins" Give it to us, the audience is ready. But don't promise EPIC, Game-changer, earned - and then deliver us cookie cutter, predictable, run of the mill character, plot & standard melodramatic angst. Kill OQ and let him stay dead for more than 1 episode. Make us sweat it out a bit... thats must watch epic TV, where every moment counts. Stop dangling all these great hints only to have to the most mundane thing occur. Arrow writers & MG just need to bit the bullet and go for it regardless of the risk. If you promise crazy, deliver crazy. Here's my OFFER, trust us & we'll trust you.

• Love 3

Random theory: 315's game changer is probably villain-related, and then 318's game changer is Justice League related?

I keep remembering Stephen's "wait, what?" about 315, and I can't help but wonder if maybe it's a SHOCKER! last scene [Amanda Waller and Malcolm in bed. Literally. Or Ra's revives Tommy. Or something else equal parts crazy bananapants and hilarious] that's only for the audience's sake, not the characters.

That has been sorely lacking this season. Remember when the audience used to no more than the characters that was fun... When we knew MM was Black archer before everyone? We need something like that again. Something that makes us in on the secret, not just the lies. Knowing Oliver wasn't dead doesn't count, it didn't build momentum. If this season is gonna be as EPIC as MG promises... we need to know more than OQ & TA. I still vote for MM being bad... I could use a shocker to get through some of this excess plot/character propping. Bring on the crazy bananapants!

A couple of options for dynamic-changing developments that I wouldn't hate:

- The public finds out that OQ is the Arrow; or at least the police do.

- The team splits--Roy and Laurel go their own way; Dig and Oliver stay together. (Not sure about Felicity--probably working for all of them somehow.)

- A time jump that FF's all sorts of things--the R/F relationship, the development of R/R/T/L into more effective fighters, etc. (Would require no further crossovers this season, and would possibly eliminate the summer hiatus time jump.) (I keep bringing this up because I almost want it to happen, to avoid the hiatus jump.)

- A reveal that Oliver has been a sleeper for ARGUS all along, unknowingly operating at Amanda's discretion.

I just don't see how anything else we're talking about would change the dynamic of the show forever (because they couldn't be permanent--Oliver quitting or leaving, for example). Even something like bringing Tommy back just gives them another conflict to deal with. But it's probably something pretty minor (like introducing superpowers) and everyone involved with Arrow is just prone to hyperbole.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 2

Wow, so Laurel gets Black Canary in 314. Man Oliver must be the worst hero ever, he's still only Arrow. Hell even Roy is still Arsenal and not Red Arrow yet..presumably he'll get Red Arrow when Oliver gets Green Arrow.

I'm equating Arsenal to Speedy (sidekick name) on the show even though that didn't happen in the books. Mostly because Speedy is just stupid (IMO) and they already use it as a nickname for Thea.

The news called Roy, Red Arrow 2? Episodes ago

Edited by BunsenBurner
  • Love 1

I'm staring to think they are going to kill Oliver again. Thea finds out that malcolm has been drugging her, she joins up with Oliver. Malcolm kills Oliver and they might just have Thea be the one to put him in the pits from desperation because Oliver is her only family left.

If the keep killing Oliver and resurrecting him, he could become an honorary Winchester.

• Love 5
- A reveal that Oliver has been a sleeper for ARGUS all along, unknowingly operating at Amanda's discretion.

This would be fun. I keep waiting for Amanda Waller to flick a switch somewhere that awakes Oliver/Lyla/Maseo/all of them from their sleeper status, so they can do something majorly shady for The Wall. And then Dig and Felicity would have to deal with that mindfuck, and I'd eat it up like whoa.

I don't understand where the hell is Waller in present time. Nor why the Hong Kong flashbacks have nothing at all to do with present time ARGUS. They teased it for a bit, with the brainwashing drug Malcolm used on Thea appearing for a second in the flashbacks... and then nothing. The idea that Amanda Waller could get her hands on brainwashing drugs, but was after the Omega virus/Alpha cure instead, is too silly to imagine. AND YET.

• Love 2

All these potential spin offs and the one never mentioned, that I would totally get behind is Black Canary. Yup, Laurel sets off on her own to show the world what a badass she is and how big her heart is. Always trying to save the world. That way, she leaves Starling City and Team Arrow the fuck alone and I never have to watch her sorry ass trying to beat up bad guys with her 3 months' worth of boxing lessons. And all her minions can go watch her and the rest of us who want to see Oliver Queen & Co. can at a last be at peace.

But I guess that sounds kind of bitter. I'll go have another cup of coffee now.

• Love 7

I love Felicity's snark at Malcolm.  The only reason I'd watch this episode is for Diggle's and Felicity's reactions to MM in the cave.

Why do they revel in making Oliver a dumbass? This is a guy, who despite being a shallow cad for most of his life, found a way to survive against incredible odds, became an expert archer and martial artist, learned to speak fluent Chinese and Russian in 5 years (which are 2 of the hardest languages for English speakers to learn), and also went from being spoiled and selfish to annoyingly selfless to the point of sacrificing his own happiness for the greater good. That should show he's capable of great growth as a human being and yet, I feel like we're on an endless loop of stupid.

As MG said, they get a lot of mileage out of that.

I see their problem, even though I'm not happy with the solution. The show is about Oliver/Arrow but that burns through material really fast and they have 44 mins x 23 x 5? years to fill.  So if you want Oliver to be the centre of his story, as opposed to Laurel or helping Ray becoming the Atom, he has to stumble (take a few steps back) so that we can cheer him on when he wins over the problem.  Think how great it would be when he finally figures out Malcolm's game, defeats him, and grovels to Felicity.

I wonder if someone on the team calls her that or if someone on the news does? If they randomly come up with that name, how convenient. And I guess maybe her run-in with Hallucination!Sara doesn't end with her unbuckling for a bit like I thought it might.

Good try, though. 

I think they're going to say "Look, she started out stumbling but she worked hard and fixed it" in the 15 minutes of 311 and from now on, we get full-on comics Black Canary.

that we can cheer him on when he wins over the problem.

The only problem is though that he seemingly never wins in a big way. I am still on his side and I want him to win but I feel as though he is always defeated in one way or the other. The only times he wins is against the smaller bad guys.

Just a question and maybe I am just so confused by now: Is Oliver in 3x18?

• Love 3

Oliver is in 3x18 per MG.  Is he in Starling City? Who knows.  I think Ra's is in 3.19 so maybe Oliver is with the LOA and they let him go home for the wedding in 3.17?!  Maseo is in 3.17 so perhaps he is there to make sure Oliver returns.  Oliver not being in SC might explain why Roy is dressed as the Arrow.  He did tell the good citizens he would never leave them again in 3.12.

Oliver not being in Starling City in 3x18 could also explain why he's not crying.

What's the point of bringing on Charlotte Ross just to interact with Felicity?  A sad waste of a good actress and character.

As much as I would love Oliver to be upset that Felicity got hurt and finally get his head out of his ass, I'm not going to torture myself writing scenarios that won't come to pass.  Been there, done that imagining their reunion when he gets back from the duel.

• Love 1
Last night I was wondering if the Arrow was going to become more of a rotating cast of people rather than just one person, given how they seem intent on taking Oliver's place in the show away from him, but if that was the case then why would there be a scene where Oliver's fighting someone dressed like him that's not a vertigo-induced hallucination?

Coincidentally on the Robin Hood series on BBC a couple of years ago, they attempted to introduce the concept that Robin Hood was a title, not a person when the lead didn't want to come back for another series. So they spent the whole year setting it up that the band of Merry Men would take over with a new Robin Hood, the season was a disaster and the BBC was like 'Yeah, how about no' and opted not to renew.

Oliver's journey isn't anywhere near finished yet. When you spend so much time building up a character and having people invested in his journey only to have it stalled so you can prop up less deserving characters, it's pretty damn irritating.

Edited by Tangerine
  • Love 9

Coincidentally on the Robin Hood series on BBC a couple of years ago, they attempted to introduce the concept that Robin Hood was a title, not a person when the lead didn't want to come back for another series. So they spent the whole year setting it up that the band of Merry Men would take over with a new Robin Hood, the season was a disaster and the BBC was like 'Yeah, how about no' and opted not to renew.

Oliver's journey isn't anywhere near finished yet. When you spend so much time building up a character and having people invested in his journey only to have it stalled so you can prop up less deserving characters, it's pretty damn irritating.

They did the same thing with another Robin Hood series back in the '80s, the lead guy left the show to appear on "Dynasty," I think, so they killed him off the show and some guy in the forest picked a new Robin Hood because it was more than a man, it was a legacy. That was a disaster as well.

I don't think they're gonna do that with "Arrow," replace Oliver, I mean. The Arrow is Oliver Queen. Oliver Queen is the Arrow. They didn't even let him stay dead for an entire ep. (I'd really love to know if that was the original plan, or if the backlash over the BC announcement spooked them).

Here's the whole tumblr post:

iwasborntobe-bad asked:
Will anyone call Laurel Black Canary this season or she will be referred to as The Canary?

Someone will call her “Black Canary” in 3x14

Regarding MG's latest interview with Access Hollywood - this quote by MG really makes me angry (the rest of that interview about Malcolm and Laurel/Sara is also irksome - to say the least):

One of the fun things about Season 3 for me is that Malcolm is this very – he's a very interesting sort of character in the sense that, is he a good guy? Is he a bad guy? Is he getting redeemed? And I think a lot of people, or reasonable minds will disagree on whether or not he has done anything of redemption just yet, whether or not he is capable of redemption. Certainly, Malcolm's morality and whether or not his soul can be saved is going to be to something that we're hitting over the remaining 10 episodes of the year. And I think it's very satisfying to me, as a writer working on the show, to watch people's reaction, debating whether or not Malcolm is redeemable because he really sort of started out as our sort of first villain that was of our -- proving our credo that even the villain is the hero of their own story. And to see that his morality continues to be in flux and continues to be the subject of debate is really, really interesting.

I can't believe there's even debate over whether or not Malcolm is a 'good guy', or that Oliver would even consider caring for Malcolm.  It would be dishonoring the memory of both his parents, Tommy and Sara.

So now both 315 and 318 are game changers... (hits head on desk repeatedly)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

I think the BBC disaster started when they killed Maid Marian instead of shipping her off to a convent for a while and then re-casting. They killed Robin Hood too, and Guy of Ghisbourne and just about every secondary character I liked.  Yeah, big mistake. I think the Oliver-less episodes worked because 1. they weren't really without Oliver since he was there in present and past, and 2. it was about how they reacted to Oliver being gone/dead.  That's not going to work again.

The scene in 3x14 that is going to make us grin -- my guess is that Felicity does something to either help or hinder Oliver and he says something to the effect of "I could love a girl who does that".

So now both 315 and 318 are game changers... (hits head on desk repeatedly)

As John Barrowman said, we see things go 360.  (I really think he meant 180 but I'll go with 360.)

In 3x15, it's a game changer and things turn 180, and then 3x18 is another game changer and they go another 180, which equals 360 and we end up back at the start.  (rme)

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 6

I think the BBC disaster started when they killed Maid Marian instead of shipping her off to a convent for a while and then re-casting. They killed Robin Hood too, and Guy of Ghisbourne and just about every secondary character I liked.  Yeah, big mistake. I think the Oliver-less episodes worked because 1. they weren't really without Oliver since he was there in present and past, and 2. it was about how they reacted to Oliver being gone/dead.  That's not going to work again.

Kate was truly the Laurel of that series. Joanne Froggat is amazing on Downtown Abbey but boy was that ever a ill-conceived character. 

What's the point of bringing on Charlotte Ross just to interact with Felicity?  A sad waste of a good actress and character.

Because the writers are too busy giving storylines to their shiny new toys. 

• Love 2

From the Variety interview, I'm getting the impression that maybe Oliver does peace out for a while to do things on his own.  Blech!

Oliver is going to grab Laurel and shake her?  That probably won't go over well with Lauriver fans.

Per Guggenheim "The challenge for us is not creating a love triangle, but how do you do that in a way that’s not cliché, and predictable, and something we’ve seen before?”  Well, hate to tell you, but epic fail there MG.

Also per Guggenheim: 

“I try very hard to avoid evaluating our own show. I’m much more comfortable with letting the audience do that and sort of speak to us. We’re on the Internet. We’re on Twitter. I haven’t gotten a sense that people are feeling jerked around or tired of it,” he said of the Oliver and Felicity dynamic.

Who exactly is he communicating with?!!!

• Love 6

About that Variety interview: I'm confused about how "taking the romance off the table" between Oliver and Felicity creates a new dynamic. Isn't that what happened when Oliver told her he couldn't be with her in the premiere? And the Suicide Squad ep is also going to feature Arrow/Atom stuff. Bleh.

From the Variety interview, I'm getting the impression that maybe Oliver does peace out for a while to do things on his own. Blech!

Yeah, I got that impression too.

• Love 3

While many TV shows rely on sexual tension and a will they/won’t they dynamic between characters to drive story, showrunners often run the risk of alienating viewers by stretching out romantic conflicts too long. Guggenheim admitted he was cognizant of that difficulty, but that the writers and producers go to great lengths to listen to their audience.

Hahahahahahhahahha

• Love 13

Who exactly is he communicating with?!!!

I know...I was like, guess people aren't being vocal enough? Doesn't seem possible. Although...I guess I don't feel jerked around, because I knew they weren't going to be together easily or anything. I just feel dissatisfied with the path they're choosing, and like it will end up dimming my interest in that relationship overall.

I know...I was like, guess people aren't being vocal enough?

From my impressions of  the vocal Olicity fans, they seem happy with the story that is being told and are in that honeymoon shipper phase where you just love your ship so much, you're willing to "trust" and have "faith" the only way the story could possibly go is your way, because its' obviously "end game". And you'll tell yourself this is all INTENTIONAL to make the payoff worth it. You're willing to twist yourself into any interpretation curlicues just to hang tight to the eventual reality of  your ship.

I don't judge I've been there, but man am I way too old for that shit anymore.

Edited by blixie
  • Love 7

While many TV shows rely on sexual tension and a will they/won’t they dynamic between characters to drive story, showrunners often run the risk of alienating viewers by stretching out romantic conflicts too long. Guggenheim admitted he was cognizant of that difficulty, but that the writers and producers go to great lengths to listen to their audience.

“I try very hard to avoid evaluating our own show. I’m much more comfortable with letting the audience do that and sort of speak to us. We’re on the Internet. We’re on Twitter. I haven’t gotten a sense that people are feeling jerked around or tired of it,” he said of the Oliver and Felicity dynamic. “I think in part because Oliver and Felicity, they’re not comic book canon, as it were. They weren’t put together with the intention of becoming love interests. So perhaps, because of those reasons, there’s a little bit more patience on people’s part, or maybe we’re just striking the right balance. I don’t know. I’ll say before an episode airs whether or not I’m excited about an episode, but once an episode has aired, I really like to let the episode speak for itself.”

I actually took some comfort from this.  I can be patient if that means there is a reason to be patient.

Also, I think he's saying he doesn't think people are sick of Olicity at this point. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

Anyone know if that YVR info about last night's shoot in the SPOILERS thread is legit or maybe just speculation? If it's legit, I guess the team's comeuppance for lying/ facilitating the lying to Lance is that he and the PD are back out to take down the Arrow?

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 1