Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

ARROW

“Sara” — (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, DLV) (HDTV)

COLIN DONNELL RETURNS AS TOMMY MERLYN IN A FLASHBACK; MATT WARD GUEST STARS AS SIMON LACROIX, AKA KOMODO — Lance (Paul Blackthorne) calls the Arrow (Stephen Amell) when another archer appears in town and starts skewering businessmen. Diggle (David Ramsey) uses A.R.G.U.S. to find the archer’s identity; he is a man named Simon Lacroix (guest star Matt Ward), who goes by the codename Komodo. However, the team hits a rough patch with the mission and gets help from a surprising source – Laurel (Katie Cassidy). Meanwhile, Oliver begins to worry that he hasn’t heard from Thea (Willa Holland), which forces Roy (Colton Haynes) to tell him the truth about why she left town. Ray Palmer (Brandon Routh) pursues Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards). In the flashback, Maseo (guest star Karl Yune) tells Oliver that Amanda Waller has ordered his first kill. As Oliver looks down the scope of the rifle, he sees the target is his best friend, Tommy (guest star Colin Donnell). Despite her promise to her sister, Laurel debates sharing a secret about Sara (Caity Lotz) with Lance. Wendey Stanzler directed the episode written by Jake Coburn & Keto Shimizu (#302). Original airdate 10/15/2014.

As Oliver looks down the scope of the rifle, he sees the target is his best friend, Tommy (guest star Colin Donnell).

SHOCKED GASP, OMG

Despite her promise to her sister, Laurel debates sharing a secret about Sara (Caity Lotz) with Lance.

AND THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T TELL LAUREL THINGS

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 11

However, the team hits a rough patch with the mission and gets help from a surprising source – Laurel (Katie Cassidy). 

Ughhhhh just as I feared. 

Laurel. Just stop.

Also everything else (bar Laurel stuff) sounds FANTASTIC. OKAY

• Love 2

I am actually so psyched to see Tommy again. My heart can't even handle it. Also I guess I was right. Roy does tell Ollie about Thea in this episode. 

Edited by ban1o

Laurel's probably just telling Lance that Sara's in town. But that does tell us why no one wanted to tell Laurel anything, she can't keep a secret. 

Laurel's going to have info on a mercenary, just because. Like when Quentin was so impressed that Laurel could stick a listening device under a desk. Suddenly she's super competent and can find and do things no one else can. If anyone in Team Arrow says "We couldn't have done of it without Laurel". I'm out for good.

They know Laurel's not a popular character so they should really take it slow with her becoming part of the team. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 7

I know it's crazy, but I am holding out some hope that Tommy will be resurrected at some point because Malcolm will have taken his body to the Lazarus Pit.  Gods I don't care how stupid it would be because TOMMMY!

Also,

Dear Show,

Stop trying to make Laurel happen. Cut your losses and move on.

Love,

A Concerned Fan

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 7

Am I the only one that find it really funny that after like 7 months, Oliver is finally worried about not hearing from Thea? Way to be a good brother lol. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 4

I'll take a Tommy resurrection if they have it be like it is on Sleepy Hollow where it's a trade to bring someone back. Obviously in this case we can trade Laurel for Tommy. 

Are all the writers only children? Because they seem to not know how siblings work. It's hard to even discuss Sara and Laurel and Oliver is a pretty crappy older brother. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3

6 months later, Oliver realizes: "Hey, I haven't heard from Thea since Slade's army attacked the city... Oh no, could something possibly be wrong?" 

I think they may be giving too much of Laurel in Team Arrow too soon. The fandom didn't exactly receive her well when she teamed up with Team Arrow in the final 3 episodes. I don't see this going over well.

Laurel considering telling a secret of Sara's? Is this what Laurel does? Immediately after finding out someone's secret considers blabbing? She did the same thing after learning Oliver was the Arrow; ironically also immediately about to blab to her father.

The Tommy thing sounds fun. I always liked him. I wonder how he will be portrayed: the party boy, a young man greiving his friend's death, etc?

And for an episode titled Sara, there is a startling lack of her in this synopsis.

• Love 5

You'd trade Felicity??

For Tommy? I like her but absolutely. 

The Tommy thing sounds fun. I always liked him. I wonder how he will be portrayed: the party boy, a young man greiving his friend's death, etc?

Good question. Personally I believe he stopped being a party boy when Oliver "died" and only jumped back into that scene because Oliver was found. 

My question is, do they share screen time? There's a way around Tommy knowing he's interacting with Oliver. 

Edited by wingster55

And for an episode titled Sara, there is a startling lack of her in this synopsis.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Maybe they don't want to spoil anything. Or maybe the episode isn't really about her. 

6 months later, Oliver realizes: "Hey, I haven't heard from Thea since Slade's army attacked the city... Oh no, could something possibly be wrong?" 

I still just can't with this. As an oldest sibling  (with both parents very much alive) I find this ridiculous lol. He seriously hasn't heard from Thea at all since she left lol? Was it Roy that spread the "backpacking in Europe" lie? 

Diggle seems to have an interesting storyline in the episode too. Can't wait! 

Edited by ban1o

hyaj36D.gif

Everything sounded great (Oliver/Thea, flashback!Tommy, Felicity, Diggle, Ray, Komodo) and then oh, more Laurel. No hate... Just not interested in anything to do with her. I guess this will be the episode when Felicity will accept Palmer's job offer? I bet that short clip of her (hair down, olive green dress) coming toward Palmer at QC is from this ep.

Also, I'm slightly afraid for Walter now with all these talk of a possible body having a black arrow protruding from it and Felicity looking stricken. Especially since I doubt it's Sin. I think I remember Bex saying something recently how she can't wait to get called back to Arrow.

Edited by SleepDeprived
  • Love 4

They did say the title has another meaning. But I think it's most likely that something happens to Sara at the end of the episode whether she gets killed, gets severely injured or disappears. 

I know it's crazy, but I am holding out some hope that Tommy will be resurrected at some point because Malcolm will have taken his body to the Lazarus Pit.  Gods I don't care how stupid it would be because TOMMMY!

This. I would suspend any amount of disbelief to have Tommy back. Yes, people should stay dead, yada, yada, yada, but it's Tommy. And truth be told, I'd even forego Tommy if it meant having Moira back. 

• Love 2

Also, I'm slightly afraid for Walter now with all these talk of a possible body having a black arrow protruding from it and Felicity looking stricken. Especially since I doubt it's Sin. I think I remember Bex saying something recently how she can't wait to get called back to Arrow.

Colin Salmon was asked on twitter if he is appearing on Arrow again and his answer seemed to imply that he hasn't filmed anything and he doubts he'll appear again since Moira is dead. 

Edited by ban1o

I think I'm going to need mint chocolate chip ice cream on hand for this upcoming Tommy scene. Just me?

Anyone else amused that the PR department for this show has just acknowledged that Laurel is a surprising source of help? It's like, wait, Laurel is helping? Now that's a surprise.

• Love 5

I don't see why it's such a big deal that Oliver thinks Thea is in Europe. I don't talk to my siblings for months at a time.  Thea was devastated.  She found out her Dad is a mass murderer, her mother was murdered in front of her face and she felt she had nothing else. I think it's believable that Oliver was just giving her space. 

My enthusiasm for an episode with Tommy took a nose dive when I heard that they are going to make Laurel that special unicorn who would just know what to do when generally competent people like Sara, Felicity and Diggle would fail.

Yawn!

• Love 3

I don't see why it's such a big deal that Oliver thinks Thea is in Europe. I don't talk to my siblings for months at a time.  Thea was devastated.  She found out her Dad is a mass murderer, her mother was murdered in front of her face and she felt she had nothing else. I think it's believable that Oliver was just giving her space. 

But..she's like 19... and he hasn't heard from her in 6-7 months. Where is she even getting the money from to go around Europe? I don't know I guess I'm just super close to my siblings lol If my teenage sibling was a mess after going through a tragedy and left the place she's lived all her life in a hurry I would at least try to contact them a couple times to make sure they were okay. 

Edited by ban1o

Anyone else amused that the PR department for this show has just acknowledged that Laurel is a surprising source of help? It's like, wait, Laurel is helping? Now that's a surprise.

If the reaction of fans on twitter is any indication, the PR would regret that they mentioned Laure because people are furious that they are gonna dumb down Team Arrow to make Laurel look like the smart one.

• Love 3

But..she's like 19... and he hasn't heard from her in 6-7 months. Where is she even getting the money from to go around Europe? I don't know I guess I'm just super close to my siblings lol If my teenage sibling was a mess after going through a tragedy and left the place she's lived all her life in a hurry I would at least try to contact them a couple times to make sure they were okay. 

But we don't know that he made no efforts at all do we ?  And sometimes people don't want to be found.  Especially 19 to 20 year olds. 

Yeah, I agree. My younger brother is 27 and we talk everyday. I'd freak if I were Oliver. Especially since he was gone for those five years, you'd think he'd make that extra effort to be there for Thea. 

Excited to see how Oliver handles Tommy being his first order to kill. And Waller's response to him not doing it.  And Diggle getting something to do.

*sigh* Laurel.

Yes, show please tell me how the not very good Lawyer is going to be able to do something that a Superhero, a Special Forces veteran, and a world class hacker can't.

I was thinking Walter too. Villain that targets business people in Starling, Felicity crying. It would give Oliver a reason to reach out to Thea and a reason to become concerned when she doesn't respond.  Colin Salmon started tweeting about being done on Arrow on August 15th and IIRC that's around when episode 2 filmed. I'd much rather they not address Walter so the possibility is there that he could come back in the future. 

Edited by Orion
  • Love 4

This episode is going to make me so sad that Tommy is dead.  Damn you, EPs, you took the wrong person!

(but not Felicity or Diggle)

If they do that, I promise to never complain about Laurel again.

On the other hand, I am ridiculously excited that Matt Ward is going to be Komodo. He plays an awful douche on Remedy but it's my other favourite show so I'm glad to see him on Arrow.

If Thea has been skyping with Oliver and texting him that she's okay, I'm not surprised that he wasn't worried up to now.  He's the guy who was on an island for five years, and later went back to lick his wounds after Tommy died.    She's 19 and it's not unusual for young adults to spend months away from home travelling. He was probably glad she could get away and maybe recover after all the stuff with Slade and her parentage went down.

But if he hasn't heard from her at all, that's different.

It better not be Walter who is dead.  Walter is one of the few sane people ever on this show.  (Along with Diggle.  Is that racist, because as much as I love Moira and Quentin, Walter and Diggle are more sane.)

At this point I suspect 301-309 will be Laurel light, not as light as 201-209 but light enough and then they'll give her stories in the back half. Now, I could be totally wrong but these guys are fairly transparent.

I wonder if they are going to try to fix her in the first part of the season, and then do her big stuff in the latter half to see if it worked.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

I have a younger sister who is married and lives in another state. I don't speak to her for months on end though half a year would be pushing it. But I know where she is and I could call her or go visit her any time if I wanted. Oliver has a few things on his plate so he his likely to be distracted, but if we are told he hasn't even given a thought to Thea in over half a year something is wrong.

Laurel helping the team...maybe she points out a legal loophole they can use? Honestly, I can't be bothered to think about it too hard.

Tommy!

i'm with @catrox14 on this. I can buy Oliver believing Thea was off to Europe doing whatever and not calling. I mean i doubt he send letters while he was back on Lien Yu.

as for money i'm gonna assume she had some finance under her name maybe even a house Robert left her in his will, probably some money from any, though now dead, grandparents. same for Oliver having some money.

if the mansion had been sold i'm sure Oliver deposited half of it into her personal account- if they got to keep the money.

other than that: TOMMY!!! I knew he was coming back for the flashback but man.. did not see that part coming.

and i guess now we know which way Oliver worked for Waller, he was a member of the suicide squad. if we also take into account what was said in that ITunes video. that's the only thing about it that makes sense.

ETS: As for Laurel.. i reserve judgment if only because i'm sick today and have zero energy to give a damn about her.

And i hope to TPTB that they have not killed Walter. Firstly because: he's all kinds of awesome. secondly, because poor Thea, can she not have one normal parent figure in her life? please!

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 1

Interesting Waller sending Oliver to kill Tommy because she must have known they were best friends.

Wow, that is cold.

I'm kind of interested now to see how she turns Oliver into the soulless killer we saw in the pilot.

• Love 1

Interesting Waller sending Oliver to kill Tommy because she must have known they were best friends.

Wow, that is cold.

I'm kind of interested now to see how she turns Oliver into the soulless killer we saw in the pilot.

So can we now just fully assume that if Waller has insight into Tommy being Oliver BFF, she knows about his son? right?!

cause i would rather he finds out from her, in the flashbacks, than because the mother died or something like that in real time.

Edited by foreverevolving

I'm guessing she makes Tommy his first target as way to show her dominance, and keep him in his place. A real threat on the people he loves would be enough to make him toe the line.

@Foreverevolving I wouldn't be surprised if you're right & Oliver knows about his kid.

Edited by JJ928

I think if Oliver knows about his kid, he would have set up a trust fund, or hired someone to watch and make sure the kid is okay, even if Oliver thinks he himself should keep away.  We haven't seen any indication of that, and at this point to say "oh, yeah, when he first got to Starling City he met with his lawyers and set up a trust fund for the kid" would have me throwing things at the TV.

And since when Oliver first got back, he argued with Diggle that Moira was a trustworthy person before he found out about her involvement with Malcom Merlyn. Wouldn't he have confronted her if he knew the child wasn't dead, or at least not trusted her?

Waller might know about the kid, although I doubt it since Oliver wouldn't have been on her intensive radar before Lian Yu, but I doubt Oliver does.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

Yay, Tommy! But I don't like him being Oliver's target. 

I don't get why people are freaking out about Laurel helping Team Arrow.  We already knew she was going to be involved.  There is nothing that synopsis that indicates Team Arrow is being dumbed down, just because Laurel helps them.  

• Love 1

Yay, Tommy! But I don't like him being Oliver's target. 

I don't get why people are freaking out about Laurel helping Team Arrow.  We already knew she was going to be involved.  There is nothing that synopsis that indicates Team Arrow is being dumbed down, just because Laurel helps them.  

Whenever Laurel is mentioned in the slightest people like to complain or freak out lol. 

Edited by ban1o

Whenever Laurel is mentioned in the slightest people like to complain or freak out lol.

This is false. The consternation comes from the constant shoehorning of Laurel to make her relevant. But that's a discussion for a different thread. But I don't see why Laurel is even involved in Team Arrow. I mean doesn't she have enough on her plate with the DA's office?

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 5

This is false. The consternation comes from the constant shoehorning of Laurel to make her relevant. 

Mmm kinda true. We don't even know how she helped them. It could be anything lol, it could be minor, it could be something lawyer-related that's found in the DA office but regardless, people start complaining. When she wan't mentioned in the preview posted earlier everyone was happy about how she wasn't in it :P I get most people here don't like her (I'm not even a fan of her character) but the constant complaints about Laurel all the time  in everything she's mentioned in gets old :)  

Edited by ban1o

However, the team hits a rough patch with the mission and gets help from a surprising source – Laurel

Why couldn't they have said Laurel works with the team to track down the problem?  Instead they basically said that the team couldn't handle it and Laurel had to swoop in and save them.  It's almost like they were trying to stir people up. 

• Love 3

LOL yeah they are purposefully trying to stir people up. That's why Andrew Kreisberg made an almost 6 minute long preview that was posted earlier today that was posted on iTunes for the general  public that didn't mention her once (only major character besides Quentin not mentioned). But they are trying to stir things up because they said in an episode description that she helps them when they need help. They don't say what the nature of help  is, how major or a minor rough patch they hit, how much she helps them, but because she helps them when they hit a rough patch and she's being somewhat useful to the main plot for once they are trying to stir things up. Sigh. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 1
LOL yeah they are purposefully trying to stir people up. That's why Andrew Kreisberg made an almost 6 minute long preview that was posted earlier today that was posted on iTunes for the general  public that didn't mention her once (only major character besides Quentin not mentioned). But they are trying to stir things up because they said in an episode description that she helps them when they need help.

Your talking right and left hands.  I'm not saying there's a conspiracy just that they worded it in the most clunky way possible, a way that made sure to point out the "surprising" nature of the event.  Would they really have said that about ANYONE else?  I don't think so, not unless they got help from an enemy or something..  Laurel stepping in to help is getting overhyped right in the description and I just don't see why that is needed. 

They don't say what the nature of help  is, how major or a minor rough patch they hit, how much she helps them, but because she helps them when they hit a rough patch and she's being somewhat useful to the main plot for once they are trying to stir things up. Sigh.

Yes. 

Yes, I very much think it was an attempt to bring special attention to what as you pointed out is just a very vague and likely no big deal thing.  Why should it be listed as surprising?  Why should it even be put in as a big plot point?  That's my whole point.  Including the information that Laurel helps shouldn't have to come with so much attention.  I mean, should Laurel being willing or able to help actually be surprising?  I don't think so. 

Didnt they say Team Arrow gets some help from A.R.G.U.S?

And weren't we told that Sara & Nyssa come to Starling in episode 2 to catch a killer? 

Sara does, not Nyssa, we don't see Nyssa until 304.

As for Laurel, I didn't even read that much into it, I don't think she's going to have a big huge role in solving the case, my guess is she drops some information on them.  I do agree that they're trying to shoehorn her into the team and it seems from this episode and the comments about you catch em, I cook em from 301 they're going to replace Lance with Laurel as Oliver's official go to law support.   And yes, I do know that Lance puts Arrow on the case.

IF this is the case then that bothers me because it means that the only way to make Laurel work is to give her other people's roles/jobs (people I like better). Last season they took Blood away from Teen Arrow and gave him to Laurel...for no real reason in fact it made more sense for it to stick with Thea/Roy/Sin since Roy was Mirakuru'd and tortured by Blood...you'd think he'd be the one hot on the trail and it would have given Roy/Thea a story and not dropped both of them off the face of the earth between 212-217.

And that's not the only precedent, the writer's action and desperation to make the character work just end up pissing me (and others) off because it's such an obvious (IMO) ploy that it takes me right out of the scene.

As for Thea, don't we have a spoiler that Oliver thinks Thea is backpacking across Europe and that Roy has been in contact with Thea?  My guess is that Oliver hasn't spoken directly to Thea since she left but Roy has been acting as an intermediary.  Oliver is willing to give her space because he knows through Roy that Thea is OK.  It's not until Roy tells Oliver that he hasn't heard from Thea in awhile that Oliver gets concerned and goes looking for her (which leads to 303 where they go to Corto Maltese to find her).

Regarding Tommy, I love him and hated that he was killed off but I hate when shows bring characters back to life so as much as I love Tommy and want him on the show I have to stick with my no resurrection policy...of course if this show starts bringing everyone and their mother back from the dead then Eff It!...give me Tommy.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 7

Yeah, Oliver thinks she's backpacking. Not sure if Roy relays this information or if Thea lies to him, but he ran off to Lian Yu for 5 months without calling anyone, so maybe he figures he owes her that space. And it's not like they were on good terms when Thea left, so I can buy that he doesn't get too worried about it for a bit, since he probably figures she wouldn't want to talk to him anyway.

I was really worried about Sara dying, but now I'm beginning to think she gets kidnapped or something, and that's how she plays into the plot for the rest of the season. Didn't one of the EPs say that a lot of things that happen this season are because of her? I can't remember.

And just to add my $.02-Oliver knowing about his kid and not being involved absolutely does not make him a deadbeat. He doesn't even think he can safely have a girlfriend, he's not going to bring a child into his life, especially now. Sometimes being a good parent is knowing when you're not able to be a good parent, and leaving the job to someone who is. If the kid is loved and well cared for? It's a non-issue, IMO.

• Love 4

Not talking to your sibling every day is one thing, but not hearing from them in 6-7 months. I would've started to worry and called my sibling after 2 weeks of no contact. But then again I'm not a shitty sibling like the characters on this show seem to be. 

Edited by Sakura12