Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

The thing is, when one is referring to that stretch of Asia there a number of nations Ra's can be a member of; from Arab to Mongolian, to Chinese to any number of the dozen of nations that exist in the asian heartland and in the very southern parts of Russia. In many of those countries it is quite common to find mixed race people, but what do i mean when i say mixed race? well not mixed with European (at least not obviously seen and it's not a common thing to see) all those little countries that exist between Jordan and China have been conquered in the past centuries time and time again, the Russians and Mongolians are the main ones i can remember right now. so that region of Asia has had mixed races individuals for a long time (mainly due to the trading of slaves), these are races with physical features specific to that region of the world - none of them look like they could be born if mid/western or even parts of eastern Europe.

So, Ra's looking like his ancestors came from any part of western parts of Europe (which i assume is where the actor ancestry is partly from based on his last name and partly from features.) is not impossible, but more unlikely, given the region history- in my personal opinion any way, and based on my knowledge of the region history.

thing is, KL looks like she can easily pass for a mixed individual from that region. because she is mixed with a race from that region. so the second I saw her on screen she was believable to me.

for example, while I am from that region (middle east) my family immigrated from Poland (so i am technically a polish-jew), I can never in a million years pass for an arab or a jew who came from any Arab country- i am far too white for that. I have on many occasions, since moving to the US, been thought to be Russian or any number of other countries on the more eastern side of Europe.

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 1

Was Laurel actually confirmed as the DA in S3? I thought it was just speculation.

A few articles that came out during CC mentioned that she was positioned as DA when talking about Arrow and Laurel's "business partnership." I've also seen MG quoted saying that "she's still in the DA's office," so who knows if he means that she's DA or an ADA? Since the show tends to go with max ridiculousness where she's concerned, she's probably DA. Plus - Kate Spencer died on screen for a reason.

• Love 1

Okay when it was speculation I rolled my eyes but for those five minutes when I thought it was confirmed…WTF?! HOW?! 

Completely ignoring how under qualified she is for that position (its not an attorney position - DA is political), how exactly are they supposed to turn her into a vigilante from that? How is she supposed to train? How is supposed to be meeting up with the freakin' LOA? You wouldn't be watched by E! News you would be watched by actual news channels - esp. considering how news worthy the city is, not to mention political watch groups. Like I get you have to suspend belief on these shows, but WTF! Why don't you just make her the Mayor too? 

Like I get you have to suspend belief on these shows, but WTF! Why don't you just make her the Mayor too? 

My headcanon is that the Starling City electorate is full of morons and/or all the capable lawyers were killed by mirakududes as part of Slade's ultimate long-game revenge plan to slowly dismantle SC's legal system through gross incompetence.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 4

I have to jump in on the ethnicity of Ra's.  My brother-in-law is 100% Arab.  Unless you knew his last name you would never know it.  He is white as can be and came to the states when he was 7, he has no features that would suggest he was anything but white. My entire family is made up of races from all over the world.  I don't care who they cast for what role.  I only care that they can act.

• Love 1

We're coming down the wire on the season premiere, so here's a friendly plea from your moderators; let's please keep it on Spoilers and Spoiler discussion in here, okay? Lots of off-topic convo happening here, we know you are all excited, we are too!

Thanks for your assistance, and have a great weekend!

On a semi-related note, Marc Guggenheim said on twitter that we'd find out who the new mayor is in 3x05.

What are the odds that it could end up being Ray? I know it's a huge stretch but I just remember that plan he had in 301 when he was presenting to the QC board about "Star City". That seems more if a political move then a business pitch.

Hopefully it's someone new, and not a DC character. Unfortunately most of what we learned from 305 filming was Felicity related.

• Love 1

Hopefully it's someone new, and not a DC character. Unfortunately most of what we learned from 305 filming was Felicity related.

ummm i wonder if the new Mayor has any relation to Felicity. i mean this is the Felicity centered episode.

ohh maybe it's her father? I know probably not, but i just had some hot cacao so my serotonin and sugar levels are a bit high :-P 

There hasn't been a big casting announcement for the mayor, unlike for Thea's new DJ or even the guy who played that ADA last season, so I'm guessing it's someone not especially well known and who will soon kick the bucket.

I'm laughing thinking how many people have to die for Laurel to come into her destiny ..... Tommy, Kate Spencer (so she can become  DA), Sara (so she can be BC), and maybe the new mayor now.

Just had this thought about Felicity being on the Geek Squad. I wonder if this is their way of giving Felicity a reason to work for Ray at QC? If she's struggling to make a living and has to take a job that's really below her abilities then it would alleviate some of the "betrayal" with Felicity working at QC. I remember people having a negative reaction when that spoiler first came out, people calling her disloyal for having anything to do with Ray/QC.

• Love 2

I think that's exactly what it is. Ray seeks her out (because of her weird career trajectory, from IT grunt to CEO's assistant to Geek Squad) and she's probably going to hem and haw but does need the money (so did she use up the $1M Oliver gave her for the lair, or is she saving that for a rainy day?). I imagine there will also be some sort of discussion among Team Arrow, or maybe just Oliver and Felicity and Oliver will be like, "Well, at least you can keep track of what's happening at my former company." I wonder how the Kord Industries employment ties into this, though. Unless, that was just a one-shot deal.

I think that's exactly what it is. Ray seeks her out (because of her weird career trajectory, from IT grunt to CEO's assistant to Geek Squad) and she's probably going to hem and haw but does need the money (so did she use up the $1M Oliver gave her for the lair, or is she saving that for a rainy day?). I imagine there will also be some sort of discussion among Team Arrow, or maybe just Oliver and Felicity and Oliver will be like, "Well, at least you can keep track of what's happening at my former company." I wonder how the Kord Industries employment ties into this, though. Unless, that was just a one-shot deal.

The synopsis read that she took a part time job to make ends meet, and that's generally what people do when their full-time job isn't paying the bills, so I'd guess that she's still employed at Kord (or somewhere).

It's going to kill me if an incompetent, inexperienced lawyer like Laurel winds up being DA and a genius MIT graduate like Felicity has difficulty finding a job that pays her bills. Maybe Oliver should just let Starling City burn - it's a terrible place, haha.

• Love 10

I could see  this happening too.  It's also why I hope Ray remains a potential love interest instead of an actual one.  I guess the idea of her getting romantically involved with her boss makes me go ugh!  Maybe she will do contract work for QC.  At least for me it makes the romantic angle a little easier to take.

• Love 1

The synopsis read that she took a part time job to make ends meet, and that's generally what people do when their full-time job isn't paying the bills, so I'd guess that she's still employed at Kord (or somewhere)

In real life that's totally the case but this is scripted drama so Felicity needing to make ends meat is being written for a purpose. There's two reasons I can think of, making Felicity in need of money and working at Best Buy gives her a reason to accept Ray's theoretical job offer and/or it makes it OK for her to accept the offer.

The synopsis read that she took a part time job to make ends meet, and that's generally what people do when their full-time job isn't paying the bills, so I'd guess that she's still employed at Kord (or somewhere).

It's going to kill me if an incompetent, inexperienced lawyer like Laurel winds up being DA and a genius MIT graduate like Felicity has difficulty finding a job that pays her bills. Maybe Oliver should just let Starling City burn - it's a terrible place, haha.

This irritates me real bad. Laurel never works for anything and things get handed to her and then they expect the viewers to like her. No one likes a person who gets handed things and then that person acts like an entitled self absorbed loon. Forget DA, even the position of ADA is way above her. I mean she has never won a single case when she worked at CNRI and any success, if at all, she had, it was because of Arrow. What a useless waste of space.

• Love 3

In real life that's totally the case but this is scripted drama so Felicity needing to make ends meat is being written for a purpose. There's two reasons I can think of, making Felicity in need of money and working at Best Buy gives her a reason to accept Ray's theoretical job offer and/or it makes it OK for her to accept the offer.

Oh, I know it's being written for a purpose, but I still think it's stupid.

ETA: Felicity doesn't need to be having money troubles for an excuse to take the job working at QC. If Oliver's still trying to get the company back, all he needs to do is suggest that Felicity take the job to keep an eye on things from the inside. The "betrayal" issue is dealt with handily, and I don't have to suspend a single bit of belief. I'll wait to see how things play out, but...yeah.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 2

This irritates me real bad. Laurel never works for anything and things get handed to her and then they expect the viewers to like her. No one likes a person who gets handed things and then that person acts like an entitled self absorbed loon. Forget DA, even the position of ADA is way above her. I mean she has never won a single case when she worked at CNRI and any success, if at all, she had, it was because of Arrow. What a useless waste of space.

I think Laurel will start winning cases because she and the arrow are 'business partners' now. So in a sense, nothing has changed. Laurel still isn't working hard like her colleagues, she's taking the easy road to success yet again. 

Oh, I know it's being written for a purpose, but I still think it's stupid.

ETA: Felicity doesn't need to be having money troubles for an excuse to take the job working at QC. If Oliver's still trying to get the company back, all he needs to do is suggest that Felicity take the job to keep an eye on things from the inside. The "betrayal" issue is dealt with handily, and I don't have to suspend a single bit of belief. I'll wait to see how things play out, but...yeah.

Doing that once again makes Felicity all about Oliver, IMO.

As stupid as it maybe and as much as I hate the implication (especially after these idiots thought it would be fun to make Felicity an EA), I'd rather Felicity takes the job offer on her own volition as part of her character journey. Additionally, I think they're probably doing it to set up Ray as a real choice. Oliver derails Felicity's career by making her his EA because it served his purposes. Ray comes along and recognizes Felicity's abilities and gives her a chance to succeed based on her abilities.

• Love 5

As stupid as it maybe and as much as I hate the implication (especially after these idiots thought it would be fun to make Felicity an EA), I'd rather Felicity takes the job offer on her own volition as part of her character journey. Additionally, I think they're probably doing it to set up Ray as a real choice. Oliver derails Felicity's career by making her his EA because it served his purposes. Ray comes along and recognizes Felicity's abilities and gives her a chance to succeed based on her abilities.

She could still take the job offer on her own volition, even with Oliver being supportive of the decision. I mean, she's taking a job working for someone who is directly in competition with him - he's going to factor into the decision regardless, don't you think? Felicity's a good person and is his friend and partner (regardless of whatever feelings they have for each other), I mean...even in my own life if I were taking a job with someone who was actively working against a friend's interests, I'd ask their opinion just for the sake of our friendship. Doesn't mean I'd do what they wanted me to, but it'd still be a factor.

• Love 1

Isn't Oliver one of the main reasons Felicity lost her job at QC in the first place? I personally don't really see it as a betrayal for her to start working there again.

I don't think it's a betrayal at all, but I can definitely see how it would be a sore subject. Not if Felicity went back to work at QC generally speaking, but specifically because Ray comes in and is kind of an asshat, gains control of the company Felicity is working with Oliver to get back, and then Felicity goes to work for Ray when he shows an interest in her professionally. It's a delicate situation, and I can see it causing issues between her and Oliver (not saying it will, but it could).

I just think the best way of handling it would be for Felicity to say she's taking the job, and for Oliver (for whatever reasons) to be supportive of it. I don't think there should have to be some contrived reason like Felicity not being able to find a job where she's paid enough to make ends meet for that to happen. Because even in that instance, I can still see her making her case to Oliver for taking the job, and I just don't want to see that happen. Maybe it won't, since the EPs said that Oliver's feelings for Felicity and some of the decisions they cause him to make are part of his journey this season. Maybe he'll have his big boy pants on and won't make a fuss over it. Fingers crossed.

• Love 2

I want her to take the job because it would be her dream job. Because of how much Team Arrow means to her, I also want her to take it to help out their work. I have no problems with those two things. 

As for Oliver, he lost the company what 5 to 8 months ago? Because of his own stupidity? Oliver needs to buy her a plant for her new office. And apologize for undervaluing her at QC. And maybe make a comment about how he feels better knowing she is back there.

• Love 10

Yes that's what I also thought. I'm leery of having romantic relationships with your boss, but I guess if Felicity and Oliver got together and he still owned QC, it would've been the same thing (even though we see it differently).

I'm all for Oliver being unselfish towards Felicity. Big boy pants indeed. I hope that what Ray offers her will only lead to bigger and better things. Being an EA with Felicity's computer abilities is just so wrong.

• Love 1

I don't like the idea of Felicity dating her boss either. I wonder if they would have Felicity be a consultant in their tech department instead (my head canon is still that she is consulting while working at the tech strore). At least until mid season. 

• Love 1

One consistent thing about Oliver is that he can still be selfish. As much as he called Felicity his partner I do think he still takes her for granted most times. I like that he tells Diggle to leave. Or maybe not since he TELLS him to leave and not asks. But still, some selfless action concerning his emotional relationships would be great.

• Love 3

Isn't Oliver one of the main reasons Felicity lost her job at QC in the first place? I personally don't really see it as a betrayal for her to start working there again.

I don't either but I remember when it was announced hat Felicity/Ray would be a thing and people kept saying it would be a betrayal of Oliver if she started dating and/or working for Ray (the guy who is now running QC)

I still find it wrong that Oliver isn't going to have money problems (per Greg Berlanti) but Felicity has to take a part time job to make ends meet.

I wonder what Diggle did with his $1million.  If he invested wisely, he should  have enough to start his own security company. 

I hope they're playing that for a joke, and also a spoof on Chuck where Brandon Routh also showed up to mess with the love interest.

One of the problems with Oliver's behaviour last season is that he never really acknowledged Felicity's skills in IT.  She complained about being his EA and it was convenient for plot reasons but Oliver never told her he understood what it cost her, in terms of her capabilities, her self-esteem and her reputation, to be his EA instead of doing what she educated herself for.

So I think it would be great if Ray Palmer heard that she was great at IT and went head-hunting her, not because she was Oliver's EA but because of how good she is and hired her to work at her proper capacity.  And since this show is all about Oliver, it wouldn't hurt for him to realize he has been taking Felicity for granted and that she sacrificed to be on his Team last year.

• Love 7

So I think it would be great if Ray Palmer heard that she was great at IT and went head-hunting her, not because she was Oliver's EA but because of how good she is and hired her to work at her proper capacity. And since this show is all about Oliver, it wouldn't hurt for him to realize he has been taking Felicity for granted and that she sacrificed to be on his Team last year.

That's what I hope will happen.

I still find it wrong that Oliver isn't going to have money problems (per Greg Berlanti) but Felicity has to take a part time job to make ends meet.

The rich are never really truly poor. Oliver has Walter to help support him, he could also liquidate all of his assets under the Queen name (which i'm sure is a lot), the Queen family probably also dabbled in the stock market (and judging by Moira's success I'm pretty sure her portfolio earns high returns)... This is why I can buy Oliver not really struggling with money.

Felicity, on the other hand, I understand having money problems as I'm sure she still has student debt (MIT is extremely expensive), worked in IT which doesn't pay a lot, then as an EA (which I assume still doesn't pay a lot. maybe upwards of 30-40 grand a year depending on how generous Oliver was?) 

• Love 1
So I think it would be great if Ray Palmer heard that she was great at IT and went head-hunting her, not because she was Oliver's EA but because of how good she is and hired her to work at her proper capacity.  And since this show is all about Oliver, it wouldn't hurt for him to realize he has been taking Felicity for granted and that she sacrificed to be on his Team last year.

Per a writeup after an interview with one of the EPs, isn't that what he does? Learns about her skills and gets curious about her career path and tries to hire her (not sure if I'm remembering correctly)? And I agree with your last point completely. That's why I think it would be great if he was just supportive of her move to work for Ray. Because it's something she's interested in, and she's already sacrificed enough for him.

Edited by apinknightmare
We try with all the female characters to give them a strength but not make that strength limited to kicking ass, though we have plenty of that, obviously. I think people will be very happy with Laurel's trajectory specifically this year in that regard. She's going to start trying to walk the path that her sister walked, which is something we set up in the Season Finale and I think people are going to be really excited to see where that goes.

You set her up for that insofar as you gave her Sara's jacket, but what freaking reason does she have to try to be Sara apart from, you know, wanting to be Sara? Are we transitioning into some SWF-level stuff here, or what?

• Love 3

Ugh. I am so annoyed with these Laurel spoilers. If she's not walking her sister's path in a completely delusional way then it's all bullshit IMO. You can't just give her a godsdamned jacket and some pill popping and call it Black Canary. 

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

The rich are never really truly poor. Oliver has Walter to help support him, he could also liquidate all of his assets under the Queen name (which i'm sure is a lot), the Queen family probably also dabbled in the stock market (and judging by Moira's success I'm pretty sure her portfolio earns high returns)... This is why I can buy Oliver not really struggling with money.

Felicity, on the other hand, I understand having money problems as I'm sure she still has student debt (MIT is extremely expensive), worked in IT which doesn't pay a lot, then as an EA (which I assume still doesn't pay a lot. maybe upwards of 30-40 grand a year depending on how generous Oliver was?) 

It's possible that they used the Queen assets to prop up their QC shares in s2.  That's why the lawyer wanted Thea to sign over the trust to another trust, to keep the Queen assets secure, and Thea didn't.

Given Oliver's personal fortune, I would hope he would have been paying Felicity a lot more than $40,000, especially given the hours she puts into her night job.  But if Oliver is not suffering money problems, why doesn't he help Felicity out so she can start up her own IT consulting firm?  (I know, plot contrivance)

I think that interview was done during SDCC because I've heard 

The best way to put it is, we're trying to take some of the lessons we learned from Season Two and trying to apply it to some of the cooler aspects of Season One.

before.

We try with all the female characters to give them a strength but not make that strength limited to kicking ass, though we have plenty of that, obviously. I think people will be very happy with Laurel's trajectory specifically this year in that regard. She's going to start trying to walk the path that her sister walked, which is something we set up in the Season Finale and I think people are going to be really excited to see where that goes.

I don't see how I'm going to be happy with Laurel's trajectory unless they send her to Nanda Parbat for the season.