Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

I wonder if Amell is going to play this stone cold, the way he did with Poppy.  I think he hates Stephen hates Oliver "cheating" on Felicity, even in flashback. 

I wasn't in fandom in season 1/2, but were there sides like this released for Sara?  I don't remember this happening before for what could be a big role, and I'm wondering if its calculated, like they are floating a test balloon for a character who has the same dynamic as comic Black Canary. Their promos and their "Make Arrow Great Again" seems to be aimed at the people who want Arrow to turn in Daredevil--personally, I'd prefer Jessica Jones--and this "accident" feels like another push in the direction. I say this as a person who knows nothing about the casting process, so I appreciate that I could be 100 percent wrong on this.

41 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Fair enough. But I still think you'd need something for Oliver, not just the guy under the hood. It could have been his relationship with a parent, a sibling, a child... Even if it wasn't romantic, to have the story be effective, you need the person connected to other people. They just chose to focus on the romantic for a good deal.

Is it possible for Oliver to date other people, be it this new character or someone else? Of course. It's just not entertaining to me personally, that's all.

Yeah I get what you're saying. A lot of viewers do connect through Olicity and FS. Not me. I never had trouble finding Oliver interesting from the very beginning, the pilot, and it wasn't about his romantic life.  I don't connect with FS so him being in a relationship with her doesn't make me interested or care. I only care about it not being an annoying distraction. Maybe if they change up how they write FS she would matter to me but I'm not holding my breath. But that's how it is with TV  since it's art, subjective and everyone watches for their own reasons and in their own way. No right or wrong, it's not like we're talking about the law of gravity or a multiple choice physics test. We're all writing and creating our own essays in our heads and on discussion boards and in our convos about what we see think and feel and the connections we make with the show.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I wasn't in fandom in season 1/2, but were there sides like this released for Sara?  I don't remember this happening before for what could be a big role, and I'm wondering if its calculated, like they are floating a test balloon for a character who has the same dynamic as comic Black Canary. Their promos and their "Make Arrow Great Again" seems to be aimed at the people who want Arrow to turn in Daredevil--personally, I'd prefer Jessica Jones--and this "accident" feels like another push in the direction. I say this as a person who knows nothing about the casting process, so I appreciate that I could be 100 percent wrong on this.

But that looks like doing test balloons in the least efficient way ever? To decide to suddenly do a worldwide search in public casting sides, just so fandom can get word of the character?

Especially since Arrow DOES do this with most new recurring characters -- they do it by sending sides they're privately casting to media sites [usually TV Line], and we get the character description, and the fake name they're using, and such.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 1

We know the sides are fake, the idea behind it isn't.

I'm not an Olicity shipper, and still don't want Oliver to go back to his sleeping with every woman that looks at him. He's supposed to changing and growing up, not regressing. They are doing enough with that with his island storyline. I don't see how he'll become the angry lone archer that we saw in season 1 if he's around tons of people all the time barely doing any archery. I also wish they'd stop saying 5 years on the island, he's been off that island so many times. He should just be like Sara now and say he was everywhere. 

• Love 7
42 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

We didn't get casting sides but, we got a detailed description of "Lisa".  We also got actresses posting videos of their auditions on youtube.  The scene written for Tina just reminds me of the Lisa stuff.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

It sounds like they just recycled the scene. They may be going for something similar so they just decided to use it again.

I'm surprised they couldn't find an actor in the CW register to fill the role. Or at least Vancouver. Isn't Kristen Kruek available now? Lol

It's funny how much this board goes active when a potential LI gets mentioned. You know if they are casting a LI for Oliver in 5b, it answers a lot of questions about where they are taking Olicity in 5a and it kind of kills my enthusiasm. I may be watching the scenes I want on YouTube.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, arjumand said:

I also had to laugh when I read a tweet here about the continuity person on Arrow, and what she does. LOL!

I wonder if she hates her job. She's like, "but you just left Roy on the ground electrocuted. Are you going to get him?" And they're like, "nah, no one will notice." "But Oliver didn't choose between Sara and Shado." "Yeah, but, we need him to feel guilty for making that choice." "He didn't make that choice." "Pfft. No one will notice."

All these newbies - is it a new character for every viewer? Felicity's going to need to buy a bigger warehouse. Gonna have to call up Bruce and ask for tips on how he deals with all the Batfamily. 

• Love 8
56 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

I wonder if she hates her job. She's like, "but you just left Roy on the ground electrocuted. Are you going to get him?" And they're like, "nah, no one will notice." "But Oliver didn't choose between Sara and Shado." "Yeah, but, we need him to feel guilty for making that choice." "He didn't make that choice." "Pfft. No one will notice."

All these newbies - is it a new character for every viewer? Felicity's going to need to buy a bigger warehouse. Gonna have to call up Bruce and ask for tips on how he deals with all the Batfamily. 

"But Oliver speaks fluent Mandarin! He's so good an actual Chinese person was fooled!"

"Now you're just making shit up. When did that happen?"

~

You have opened my eyes to the truth, Calliope1975. It must be hell to be continuity person on a show which couldn't give a shit about continuity.

All these newbies - is it a new character for every viewer? Felicity's going to need to buy a bigger warehouse.

This is angering me so much. Every time I see those useless newbies striding around like they own the place, my blood pressure goes up.  Maybe that's just a Flashpoint thing? Like, when Barry fixes things (and he fucking has to), Curtis walks in one day and goes: "Where's Useless Fake Canary?" and everyone turns around and goes "Who?"

• Love 6

I would hate it if Flashpoint affected every character on Arrow. But at the same time I don't want Diggle to be the only one affected by it. And so far that's what it feels like to me. They might turn BabySara into BabyConnor and now not even his marriage to Lyla is safe.  Why can't Flash keep Flashpoint on their own show.

Edited by Lily-n11
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, Lily-n11 said:

I would hate it if Flashpoint affected every character on Arrow. But at the same time I don't want Diggle to be the only one affected by it. And so far that's what it feels like to me. They might turn BabySara into BabyConnor and now not even his marriage to Lyla is safe.  Why can't Flash keep Flashpoint on their own show.

Was it just me or did it seem like they were very careful to say Diggle left his "chid" rather than his daughter?

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

I think Audrey Marie Anderson shooting a different show as a regular for the next 3 months is more of a threat to their marriage than Flashpoint.

That's why I think they are going to find a way to write her out at the beginning of the season. SA said that Flashpoint affects the start of the season and some at the end. Could be Lyla making a reappearance.

Was it just me or did it seem like they were very careful to say Diggle left his "chid" rather than his daughter?

Nope. Not just you.

Maybe they use this to "correct" the confusion they caused by first naming that child Sara and then resurrecting Sara Lance. IMO this would be another hint that resurrecting Sara was never in their plan when they killed her at the beginning of season 3. Because I never believed they would have named Diggle's child after her if they knew (Big)Sara would be back again.

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

I think Audrey Marie Anderson shooting a different show as a regular for the next 3 months is more of a threat to their marriage than Flashpoint.

This is what I found: http://about.att.com/story/att_audience_network_announces_original_series_ice.html. So far it's 10 episodes ordered and she is listed in episode 2 on Imdb. I read somewhere on twitter that this show films in Vancouver as well. So I had hope she would be still be somewhat available (like in past seasons).  Do you know any more details on how big her role is?

13 minutes ago, Lily-n11 said:

This is what I found: http://about.att.com/story/att_audience_network_announces_original_series_ice.html. So far it's 10 episodes ordered and she is listed in episode 2 on Imdb. I read somewhere on twitter that this show films in Vancouver as well. So I had hope she would be still be somewhat available (like in past seasons).  Do you know any more details on how big her role is?

Deadline says she was cast as a regular. That doesn't specify how many episodes total she'll be in, but IMDb episode listings are not reliable in anyway. She was announced when they had already shot the first ep, so maybe it's just that she shows up in ep 2? Filming started August 8, and ends December 23rd [info from the DGC].

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

Deadline says she was cast as a regular. That doesn't specify how many episodes total she'll be in, but IMDb episode listings are not reliable in anyway. She was announced when they had already shot the first ep, so maybe it's just that she shows up in ep 2? Filming started August 8, and ends December 23rd [info from the DGC].

Thank you. And thanks for the DGC info as well. I never knew all those infos can be found in one place.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Chaser said:

It sounds like they just recycled the scene. They may be going for something similar so they just decided to use it again.

I'm surprised they couldn't find an actor in the CW register to fill the role. Or at least Vancouver. Isn't Kristen Kruek available now? Lol

It's funny how much this board goes active when a potential LI gets mentioned. You know if they are casting a LI for Oliver in 5b, it answers a lot of questions about where they are taking Olicity in 5a and it kind of kills my enthusiasm. I may be watching the scenes I want on YouTube.

Kristin Kreuk is available I believe. And she believably did action stunts in BATB. However, as much as I enjoy her I think she should avoid Arrow if its only a doomed LI role v. a well popularized pairing like Olicity. She did it in Smallvlle and Chuck, and it did not work for her. She should avoid becoming a Brandon Routh of love triangles.

This honestly was the first meaty spoiler in awhile that was not just about another new mask. So the LI spiked the board's interest, but I think it was because it actually seemed interconnected to an existing character as more than just a mentee. I have no idea where they are going with the new character but I hope she is not a LI for OQ or Dig. They already have good pairings for those two, they should just grow some and actually own the fact that they have successful pairings. Stop trying to write for the shallow romantic drama (when they have proven after 4 seasons they are bad at it), embrace their good fortune and find better ways to introduce drama into the show. Romantic drama is not a good fit on this show.

• Love 2

I don't think I could deal with Lana (KK) on Arrow.  It would be sooooo hard not to hate her character just out of spite for Smallville.  And lots of Lana-fu?  No, I can barely cope with imagining it. 

• Love 5

I'm not sure I could deal with it either.  When I tried to watch Beauty and the Beast, I found that I couldn't do it because I kept seeing Catherine as Lana, even though they're very different characters.  I don't think KK's a bad actress, but unfortunately I think she's always going to be Lana Lang to me. 

ETA:  I should say, I wouldn't care if she showed up as a very occasional guest star.  But no to any kind of regular or semi-regular role.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 3

Put me on record that I don't really care if Baby Sara becomes Baby Connor. Im not bonded with the character.

BUT I do believe its in very poor taste and sets a bad precedence to change the gender of a character from girl to boy just because of one crossover script. Make them twins or give Dig another kid, but don't make a character so easily replaceable because she is a girl.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, kismet said:

Put me on record that I don't really care if Baby Sara becomes Baby Connor. Im not bonded with the character.

BUT I do believe its in very poor taste and sets a bad precedence to change the gender of a character from girl to boy just because of one crossover script. Make them twins or give Dig another kid, but don't make a character so easily replaceable because she is a girl.

If they could make them twins I would be soooo grateful for the compromise, but wrangling two toddlers more than twice as hard.  I worry they'd chose a gender swap cause it would be easier to film than adding another kid.  Still, I will remain hopeful.  Having it revealed later this season that Diggle and Lyla are expecting another kid would be a great way to wrap up his struggle over Andy's death with a personal, happy note.   

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 4

Looks like Brian Ford Sullivan commented on the twitterverse happenings yesterday too. I'm not sure if its good or bad that a potential LI for Oliver got this much chatter going. I do think its good that they felt the need to address concerns from Felicity fans.

The promo has really sucked. I mean when trailers barely have the main characters other than Oliver in them people are going to be concerned that it means they're getting sidelined. And after season 4 mistakes it's hard to trust the writers and not jump to the worst conclusion with every spoiler since the worst conclusions have often been what actually happened in season 4.

• Love 8

There's duplicate posts in the spoilers thread, btw. They're the same source.

Also, meh. Glad it's just him though. No hassle. Better than The Flash poster too which is a bonus.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 3

Wow, that's a bit in your face, isn't it? LMAO! I have no problems with just Oliver on an Arrow poster. Saves a lot of grief, really. Though with the dodo gone, there shouldn't be that much drama with a cast poster ... (she said).

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 6
16 minutes ago, HighHopes said:

Oh I'm fine with it being just Oliver. I'm more commenting on the "His City. His Fight. His Legacy" thing. Just a lot of his

Seems that they are really trying to head off any continued whinging  that Oliver was only in Star City because Felicity dragged him back.  

I do like the sleeves but the suit over all looks kind of too tight.  I wonder how much range of motion SA has in the thing. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Velocity23 said:

I was actually wondering about Felicity's role in 5x02 because she is also appearing in Flash 3x02. I'm curious if that's Flashpoint related. I'm leaning towards no because that seems to be wrapped in the first five, but the timing is interesting.

3 hours ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

It's the "HIS fight, HIS city, HIS legacy" that makes me laugh. They don't know how to do subtle do they? 

HIS Fight, HIS City, HIS Legacy but we need 20 new masks on the team to help him out, cause....

• Love 15

I might be in the minority, but I like the new poster. I like the creativity of the angle and the fact that the buildings make a star. I enjoy the sleeves. I don't mind it just being OQ on the poster. The show is about him, not all the rando new masks running around. I love OTA, but that was still his team. The slogan is a little too much "his", but its better then some of the other slogans that have been coming out about in the scarce promos we've seen.

Honestly, Arrow has me watching this season on a loyalty vote. Very little has peaked my interest. At least they didn't manage to screw up the poster too bad this year. Bonus points the angle hides SA constipated face that he has had on for the s3/4 posters.

• Love 4