Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

(edited)

The renewal of Beast & Beauty was quite a surprise. And according to some theories it was renewed due to a deal between CBS and WB. Beauty and the Beast and Reign are the only CBS owned show on CW, all others come from WB. So CBS and WB came to an agreement that CBS renews the Mentalist for 12-13 episodes and Beauty and the Beast gets the same episode order on CW. 

WildCat cast:

http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/arrow-j-r-ramirez-wildcat-casting-cw/

The role is envisioned as a potentially recurring. In the DC Comics, Ted Grant is a member J.R. Ramirez Wildcat Arrow CWof the Justice Society for America, as well as the mentor and trainer of other masked vigilantes including the Black Canary.

In Arrow, Grant will be a former boxer who now runs a gym for underprivileged youth. A man with a mysterious past, he will play a pivotal role in Laurel Lance’s arc this season. 

Edited by Velocity23
(edited)

It looks like they are going for the Ted grant as a love interest route for Laurel, I would have preferred Ted grant in a mentor role. Anyways, he just owns a gym and doesn't look like he will have a big role or anyting. Not impressed with the casting, looks like a bone thrown to the Laurel fans to keep them happy.

Edited by abhi
(edited)
The role is envisioned as a potentially recurring. In the DC Comics, Ted Grant is a member J.R. Ramirez Wildcat Arrow CWof the Justice Society for America, as well as the mentor and trainer of other masked vigilantes including the Black Canary.

In Arrow, Grant will be a former boxer who now runs a gym for underprivileged youth. A man with a mysterious past, he will play a pivotal role in Laurel Lance’s arc this season.

oooh a mysterious past...is that just a boiler plate casting notice for this show?  LOL

The renewal of Beast & Beauty was quite a surprise. And according to some theories it was renewed due to a deal between CBS and WB. Beauty and the Beast and Reign are the only CBS owned show on CW, all others come from WB. So CBS and WB came to an agreement that CBS renews the Mentalist for 12-13 episodes and Beauty and the Beast gets the same episode order on CW.

I didn't know about the deal with The Mentalist but I remember learning a while back (while Smallville was still on the air) that one of the deals with the combined network (CBS/WB) was that an equal number of CBS vs WB shows had to be on the schedule.  There was also a push, at one point to have mostly co produced shows.  I don't know if those are actual facts or just speculation/rumors but they've been around for awhile. 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2
(edited)

"...happiness comes at a price.... he literally sees a vision of himself that scares the shit out of him, and that colors the entire season.” - Stephen Amell

Hmm. This has me thinking that maybe I'm not looking at how the short romance between Oliver/Felicity will end during the first episode properly. Stephen Amell has been talking about 2x06 a lot lately, and maybe that plays into this episode, not in the "because of the life I lead" way but because of just how angry he was when the count took Felicity. He literally put 3 arrows in him just for touching her whereas other villains haven't had the same fate when dealing with Oliver's loved ones. Maybe the thing that scares the shit out of him is just how murderous and ruthless Oliver becomes when Felicity is heavily injured. I think that this is why Felicity would understand why he would back off in this scenario, it would be a mutual decision to let go of their romance and keep things professional. It's not a "because of the life I lead" deal, but it's an "I don't know how it's like to love someone, have them be in constant danger, and be the arrow at the same time" type of deal.  

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 7

Thinking back on everything from 2B to comic con it really does make a lot of things make more sense to me now.

The lead up in S2 A to Oliver and Felicity begins. Oliver and Laurel break up at Tommy's grave. Olicity starts developing and moving forward, including giving them a romantic theme score. We get the Russia episode and the "Life that I lead speech" Felicity is given all the romantic hero beats with creating his bow and putting on his mask to helping him find another way. ( all stuff others have talked in other threads much better than I ever could)

At some point right in there SA goes to the producers and either asks for Olicity or asks to stop hooking up with every female on the show. (maybe after Isabel)

The producers decide to go all in on Olicity but they need to 1. put a nail in Lauriver and 2. They still really really want their Black Canary/Green Arrow hook up. We get the hook up with Sara out of no where to fulfill the writers wish list. Then they have that OOC moment where Oliver shows up at the Lance dinner just so he can plainly state he's "done" with her. (re-reading that hallway speech I didn't remember how brutal that was. Especially, "Why don't you go get wasted. Go to Verdant and I'll pay for it." Ouch). They didn't have time to do either of those plot points justice in a more believable way but they had to get them in there.

At this point Kreisenberg goes out and makes the comparison between Lois and Clark but most people over look the full quote which goes on to says "But Laurel will always be one of the closest people to him, whether that’s romantic or not. That’s why it’s so powerful to us that, in his darkest hour, Laurel is the one who pulls him out of it." (which is blah, blah, blah about the speech she gives him but it is the first indication we get from the producers that Lauriver might not be their OTP)

Moving forward to the finale, the producers thought they were being clear about the "Unthinkable" act that Oliver had to do, sacrificing the woman he loves to save the city. But it wasn't clear and people debated. Did he lie to her about loving her? Did he sacrifice Felicity to save Laurel? That was what all the talk on line and the media the day after the finale aired. They send SA out at Upfronts to all but say it was not a fake out and to reassure people that they would deal with it next season. But people still debate it.

The WB, CW, and DC twitters, tumblrs and facebook go all in on Felicity and Olicity all summer long RTing and posting fanart positive Olicity comments and romantic quotes. DC announces that Felicity's character is moving over to the comics and that Olicity's playful banter will be included in that.

Then at Comic Con they decide to make it extremely clear where this season is going. They want to pad the landing and prepare the people who aren't into Oliver and Felicity to minimize the upset during the season and like someone said above, reassure the Olicity fans that this is being taken seriously. So SA is tasked with breaking the news that Sara and Laurel ships are done. Felicity is the one woman going forward this season. He's very careful to say Sara and Laurel and Oliver will be together just not together, together. This is backed up in smaller interviews by the EPs. The PR people are very careful to keep the woman out of it. KC and EBR aren't present during any of these interviews, which keeps KC from having to sit through question after question about Olicity (The Arrow panel moderator basically used Olicity to whip the fans up during the whole panel. Imagine if KC was sitting there for that). And EBR is kept away to stop Olicity from taking over all the Arrow talk, reassuring fans that the romance will not take over the show and to make sure that the anger the Lauriver fans feel is not directed at her but confined to the EPs and SA. The ladies are kept out of the autographs line so they don't get questioned on it and the which one of the Lances will be the Black Canary question. The only big event they are all together for, beyond photo sessions away from the public is the large DC panel, which is less likely to break down into a Arrow/Olicity conversation with so much going on besides those issues.

In addition the EPs do not announce Sara as a recurring character for this season, they tease Ted Grant, they tease the jacket and "Laurel's journey" and I'm sure they would have done more of that if any of the interviews would have asked. As it was, they had to keep bringing it up when they weren't asked. They give KC the chance to hint at it during the DC panel the biggest event, to further point toward Black Canary. She misses her chance by trying to be funny but they set her up for it. The EPs try to make Laurel fans happy by admitting yes the romance is gone but she will still have an important role going forward.

(not trying to be conspiracy theory here. This is just a comment on the PR side and how when I add everything up I really get a clear picture of how this came about.)

This is a brilliant analysis.

• Love 1
(edited)

I know most people on this board hate the idea of Laurel as Black Canary so much that they tend to play down any bit of news that hints at that happening, but I really don't understand how anyone can read the character description for Ted Grant, which says that he will play a pivotal (aka important) role in Laurel's arc this season and infer from it that he won't have a big role. He will obviously give her some sparring sessions and they will probably fall in love with each other while doing so. I am courious how they are going to meet, though, because he seems to run a boxing gym for the underprivileged and that description doesn't quite fit Laurel.

Edited by strikera0
  • Love 2

Hmm. This has me thinking that maybe I'm looking at how the short romance between Oliver/Felicity will end during the first episode. Stephen Amell has been talking about 2x06 a lot lately, and maybe that plays into this episode, not in the "because of the life I lead" way but because of just how angry he was when the count took Felicity. He literally put 3 arrows in him just for touching her whereas other villains haven't had the same fate when dealing with Oliver's loved ones. Maybe the thing that scares the shit out of him is just how murderous and ruthless Oliver becomes when Felicity is heavily injured. I think that this is why Felicity would understand why he would back off in this scenario, it would be a mutual decision to let go of their romance and keep things professional. It's not a "because of the life I lead" deal, but it's an "I don't know how it's like to love someone, have them be in constant danger, and be the arrow at the same time" type of deal.

Yeah, I think he's gonna go Slade-for-Shado batshit on Vertigo: the Sequel.

• Love 7

Well it also said possibly recurring. I truly hope they did chemistry screening this time. 

Well, people are certainly free to cling to that word, but it's obvious that he will be Laurel's new love interest and that means more that just a cameo appearance.

Hmm. This has me thinking that maybe I'm looking at how the short romance between Oliver/Felicity will end during the first episode. Stephen Amell has been talking about 2x06 a lot lately, and maybe that plays into this episode, not in the "because of the life I lead" spiel but because of just how angry he was when the count took Felicity. He literally put 3 arrows in him just for touching her whereas other villains haven't had the same fate when dealing with Oliver's loved ones. Maybe the thing that scares the shit out of him is just how murderous and ruthless Oliver becomes when Felicity is heavily injured. I think that this is why Felicity would understand why he would back off in this scenario, it would be a mutual decision to let go of their romance and keep things professional. It's not a "because of the life I lead" deal, but it's an "I don't know how it's like to love someone, have them be in constant danger, and be the arrow at the same time" type of deal.  

I've been thinking the same thing, and the "literally sees a vision of himself" makes me wonder whether he has some sort of dream when this bomb goes off on their date? Otherwise, like you say, it could just be that he goes sort of rage blackout and it scares him.

I've been trying to figure out what each of their reasons for pulling away would be, and it's a lot harder for me to figure out Felicity's. I feel like it's either that she's also a little scared of Oliver's penchant for murderous rage; or that other spec is right, and that Oliver has known about his child for awhile and the fact that he doesn't want to be in his/her life bothers Felicity. And she doesn't want to be with him until he realizes that he IS Oliver Queen, not just the Arrow, and that he deserves a full life.

But neither of those reasons would make me think that she would really let go of him enough to be interested in someone else like Ray, unless he pushes her away really hard. Angst! The best.

• Love 1

Oh, he's going to play a role. My only question is given the LoA, the Flash crossovers, the Atom, and the villain of week, just how much time can be spent on Laurel's storyline. I am all for anything that makes her less of a kidnap victim and (hopefully) more fun for me to watch on screen, so yay Ted Grant training her, but my guess is either the show won't have a lot of time to spend on it, or viewers will want to know why the show is spendnig a lot of time on it instead of Ra's al Ghul. Especially if Ra's al Ghul is cast well.

• Love 4
(edited)

I wonder if Ted Grant's involvement with underprivileged kids is going to have something to do with it? Like, the system has failed them, so she starts questioning her involvement in said system, maybe the promise of exacting her own justice pushes her down the vigilante route?

But then again, Oliver's been rounding up criminals and serving them on a silver platter, why would she need to get involved in the fray?

Edited by apinknightmare

Hmm. This has me thinking that maybe I'm not looking at how the short romance between Oliver/Felicity will end during the first episode properly. Stephen Amell has been talking about 2x06 a lot lately, and maybe that plays into this episode, not in the "because of the life I lead" way but because of just how angry he was when the count took Felicity. He literally put 3 arrows in him just for touching her whereas other villains haven't had the same fate when dealing with Oliver's loved ones.

Or how about him getting mad at Sara for knocking out a QC security guard and then turning around and knocking some other poor sucker out for pointing a gun at Felicity? Everything he does in terms of her seems to be out of pure instinct which, while can be dramatically romantic, is not exactly healthy so I can see how Oliver's natural response would be to push her away.

• Love 5
(edited)

Is it just me, or are there way too many characters and way too many promises being made about said characters?

The writers promised us an epic arc for Laurel, Thea, Felicity, Oliver, Sara, and Roy. They're also introducing way too many characters like Ray, Ted, R'as and I'm sure there are other recurring characters like Malcolm, Nyssa, and Quentin who will get their fair share of screen time as well... 

I just don't know how they can pull all of this off and have it be compelling and not half baked? I'm just worried about screentime and how well these characters are developed throughout the season considering they're going to share a lot of screentime with A LOT of other characters. 

And if Felicity and Digg get sidelined again this season (mainly I see this happening with Digg) for characters like Laurel who have had their fair share of screentime and didn't get far, then I'm going to be super pissed and probably resent Laurel even more. Is it fair? Not really, but then again, I'm not a good-doer and I don't really care if it's not.

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 7

Oliver going Cray Cray on the new Count makes sense. 3 arrows in the chest said a lot. I also wonder what it is Felicity will conclude to make it a mutual agreement. I want to know how raw this conversation will be. And how long.

Why does every male on Arrow have a mysterious past? Are there no normal, boring people in Starling City? It would explain why there's still people living there in spite of yearly villain attacks. Laurel could meet him through a case she takes. I don't know, a misspent youth gets into trouble and they lead her back to Ted because the youth attends his gym.

Or how about him getting mad at Sara for knocking out a QC security guard and then turning around and knocking some other poor sucker out for pointing a gun at Felicity?

Yes you noticed that too!! Makes and breaks rules as he goes this man.

• Love 1

Question.  So who is the major DC character that's showing up in the second half?  Is that Ra's?  Ted Grant? (probably not since they've already cast him) or a totally different DC Character?  

I would think Ra's.  He may be meddling in the meantime (sending other villains) but I think it will be the 2nd half before he actually puts in an appearance in Starling.  I think they have to set up the Malcolm/Thea storyline first.  Thea/Roy  and Thea/Oliver have to reconnect too.  I am thinking they are going with the enemy of my enemy is my friend scenario.  He might first show up in Sarah's backstory, whatever ep that may be.  Thea will have flashbacks to getting in the limo in 3.03 and Felicity's backstory is in 3.05 so I am thinking Sarah's backstory with LOA might be a little later.  They did say over the weekend she was doing at least 4 episodes.

I've been thinking the same thing, and the "literally sees a vision of himself" makes me wonder whether he has some sort of dream when this bomb goes off on their date? Otherwise, like you say, it could just be that he goes sort of rage blackout and it scares him.

I've been trying to figure out what each of their reasons for pulling away would be, and it's a lot harder for me to figure out Felicity's. I feel like it's either that she's also a little scared of Oliver's penchant for murderous rage; or that other spec is right, and that Oliver has known about his child for awhile and the fact that he doesn't want to be in his/her life bothers Felicity. And she doesn't want to be with him until he realizes that he IS Oliver Queen, not just the Arrow, and that he deserves a full life.

But neither of those reasons would make me think that she would really let go of him enough to be interested in someone else like Ray, unless he pushes her away really hard. Angst! The best.

Felicity knows Oliver pretty well, and if it plays out where they have the talk toward the end of the ep after Oliver's gone out to beat the hell out of Vertigo 2.0, she'll probably have an idea what's coming.

She might just be worried about getting hurt since she'd be rightfully concerned that he'd want to break it off every time something bad happened. She could tell him as much; he'd understand, and we'd be sympathetic since we've watched him push away everyone who cares about him at some point during the show.

I'm crossing my fingers that it's simple and honest and believable.

• Love 4
(edited)

Yeah, I think that has got to be Laurel's new love interest. He looks cute although he seems a good 3-5 years too young for a retired boxer to me unless they tell us that he retired due to a career- ending injury. I get that there are quite a few Laurel fans who were angry about some of the things that came out at SDCC, but IMO, they should be happy about what seems to be the end of Oliver/Laurel. That was a horrible relationship that only dragged her character down. The introduction of Teg Grant is like a fresh start for her character and they should embrace it. I hope KC and J.R. Ramirez have a good rapport with each other. I may not be a Laurel fan, but I would like to feel something other than indifference when she shows up on my TV screen.

Edited by shadow2008
  • Love 1
(edited)

If Oliver tells Felicity that he can't control himself when it comes to someone hurting her, I can see her pulling  back. She wants him to be the hero, she feels guilty for him killing the Count for her and putting him in that position. She was the only one at the end telling him that no, he could still beat Slade without killing. EBR said at Upfronts do you risk it all for love or do you stay friends and teammates.  I think he will lay it out there that he loves her but he can't be a the hero when it comes to her safety and she will step away so he doesn't become the killer he once was in her name.  That they can stay friends and teammates. 

Sorry, I've read so much of the threads the past couple of days, I can't remember who said that Oliver is going to try to kick her and Diggle out of the team this year. I agree with that. Maybe that's why she goes to talk to Barry in 3.04

ETA: "Literally see's a vision of himself that scares the shit out of him." Looks up from beating the hell out of Vertigo and sees himself in mirror/window?

Edited by Orion
  • Love 5

Yeah, I think that has got to be Laurel's new love interest. He looks cute although he seems a good 3-5 years too young for a retired boxer to me unless they tell us that he retired due to a career- ending injury. I get that there are quite a few Laurel fans who were angry about some of the things that came out at SDCC, but IMO, they should be happy about what seems to be the end of Oliver/Laurel. That was a horrible relationship that only dragged her character down. The introduction of Teg Grant is like a fresh start for her character and they should embrace it. I hope KC and J.R. Ramirez have a good rapport with each other. I may not be a Laurel fan, but I would like to feel something other than indifference when she shows up on my TV screen.

This is what I've never understood about the Laurel fans.  I would think they'd want better for their favorite character than to be wrapped up in the toxic waste dump that is Lauriver/Lauliver (seriously, why is there more than one name).  

Oliver is MY favorite and, Olicity shipping aside, I'm certainly glad it doesn't seem like they're going to pursue the O/L relationship anymore.  They bring out the absolute worst in each other and I want better for him than that.  

Based on the awful tweets I've seen directed at the writers and SA, it reads a little too much like "she needs a man to be relevant" for my liking.

• Love 3

I watched Emily Owens, M.D. but I don't remember J.R. Ramirez, though.  He's young and cute so I'm guessing that he will be Laurel's love interest as well.  I'm also guessing that the EPs are waiting to see if the two 'click' and that is why he is listed as possibly recurring...if they have hot chemistry I'm sure he'll be featured more.  I also notice that he was in 90210 as well as Emily Owens.  Seriously CW, stop recycling all of your actors!

(edited)

That's from Comic Con, it's from Saturday afternoon when they were doing media.  I'm not sure the picture belongs in this thread though it's not really a spoiler.

I watched Emily Owens, M.D. but I don't remember J.R. Ramirez, though.  He's young and cute so I'm guessing that he will be Laurel's love interest as well.

Yeah, I don't remember him either and I don't watch Power...I wonder if he can act?

Edited by Morrigan2575
(edited)

@SonofaBiscuit -- he played the doctor who had the affair with the boss lady doc. I had to look him up, though, because I didn't remember him either.

Really really hoping there were chemistry tests involved, even if it is the CW recycling their talent because, well, it's cheaper.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 1

Hopefully he can act, and he and KC have chemistry. I've never seen him in anything though. Doesn't look like he's been in a lot of things.

I'm kind of a little surprised though. I mean, maybe he's fantastic. EBR was a no-name before this show too. But I just assumed they'd go with a little bit bigger name for Ted Grant. *shrugs*. Hope it works though.

(edited)

I know nothing of Ted Grant but I was envisioning someone older...perhaps in his mid to late 30s or early 40s.  Maybe if I have time I'll go back and watch an episode of Emily Owens to refresh my memory on who J.R. Ramirez was on the show...I vaguely remember the cold brilliant doctor who was having an affair with him.  I imagine that Arrow had to cast a lesser known actor because they have to save the big money for Ra's al Ghul.

Yuck to Felicity going on a double date over on the Flash.  They need to let that show stand on its own merits, I think.  I really hate it when shows feel the need to do crossover episodes.  On one show I watch, a main character is actually in a relationship with a character from a different but related show!  Stupid.

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
(edited)

Ugh so not looking for the crossover episode with the Flash anymore. Felicity goes on a double date with Barry joining Iris and her guy x.x .Dont make me hate you writers.

Ugh.

Although I think (hope) maybe it'll be a platonic thing on Barry and Felicity's part. Or I guess maybe they're both trying to move on from people they can't have for whatever reason.

I really, REALLY need to know about this raw talk about feelings of doom between Oliver and Felicity. Immediately, if not sooner. I mean, if he doesn't want to commit, she has every right to try to be happy, BUT WHAT DO THEY SAY TO EACH OTHER?

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 2

Ugh so not looking for the crossover episode with the Flash anymore. Felicity goes on a double date with Barry joining Iris and her guy x.x .Dont make me hate you writers. 

Could you share the source? I'm not doubting you, please don't get me wrong! I just haven't been keeping up with Flash spoilers, but maybe I should be looking into the crossover stuff, as it will definitely pertain to Felicity's character development.

(edited)

I know nothing of Ted Grant but I was envisioning someone older...perhaps in his mid to late 30s or early 40s. 

Me too. I think Charles Mesure would have made a good Ted Grant. He is hot, but he also has a bit of a dangerous/rugged look about him, which would be beneficial for a boxer. And he can act.

Edited by shadow2008
  • Love 2

Ugh.

Although I think (hope) maybe it'll be a platonic thing on Barry and Felicity's part. Or I guess maybe they're both trying to move on from people they can't have for whatever reason.

I really, REALLY need to know about this raw talk about feelings of doom between Oliver and Felicity. Immediately, if not sooner. I mean, if he doesn't want to commit, she has every right to try to be happy, BUT WHAT DO THEY SAY TO EACH OTHER?

I respect SA, so I haven't watched the Flash pilot because the leak pissed him off so much.  I'd like to say if the Arrow premiere gets leaked, I won't watch that one either...but, I don't think I have that kind of self-control because I NEED TO KNOW WHAT THEY SAY, TOO!  lol

• Love 6

I'm not sure why people are hating this idea of a Barry/Felicity date.  It doesn't bother me at all.  They kind of left the characters hanging on Arrow, we end 209 with a possible date if Fel ever decides she's ready to move on.  Then she's visiting Coma Barry for a full month and even though she finds out about Iris in 219, she doesn't know for certain where Barry stands.  

A date sounds like the natural resolution to 209.  They go on the date, find out they're still not over or ready to get over Iris/Oliver and move on to a great friendship...it provides closure for the characters and fans.

• Love 11
(edited)

Me too. I think Charles Mesure would have made a good Ted Grant. He is hot, but he also has a bit of a dangerous/rugged look, which would be beneficial for a boxer. And he can act.

Eh. Only if they weren't going the love interest route. I personally wouldn't be all that excited about seeing Laurel date someone her father's age, even if I'm not crazy about the character. YMMV.

And I agree with @Morrigan2575 about the date. They said (somewhere) that the Barry/Felicity issue would be put to rest early in the season, and this is probably where it happens. I think this is just to tie off that loose end - I highly doubt they'll do anything with "Baricity" beyond this.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm not sure why people are hating this idea of a Barry/Felicity date. It doesn't bother me at all. They kind of left the characters hanging on Arrow, we end 209 with a possible date if Fel ever decides she's ready to move on. Then she's visiting Coma Barry for a full month and even though she finds out about Iris in 219, she doesn't know for certain where Barry stands.

A date sounds like the natural resolution to 209. They go on the date, find out they're still not over or ready to get over Iris/Oliver and move on to a great friendship...it provides closure for the characters and fans.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it. One of the EPs said that her crossover would provide closure between her and Barry or something like that. It just really makes me wonder about Oliver and Felicity's conversation, since she's off going on a date three weeks later (and I don't mean that judgmentally, I don't want her to wait for a guy that isn't ready). I'm just insanely curious.

ETA: I just hope it's a thing where maybe Iris suggests a double date so Barry invites Felicity because she knows how he feels about Iris?

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 1

But this guy looks younger then Laurel. Or maybe just the picture I saw... I don't know. I guess I see her better with someone at least a little more mature.

According to IMDb, J. R. Ramirez is six years older than Katie Cassidy. He's 33, she's 27.