Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

Ohhhhh I just saw that Stephen did a dialogue tease.

"WE HAD A DEAL"

I'm guessing this proposal was a part of a plan to suss Dd out and quentin was part of said plan. But Dd threatens laurel and Quentin trades Felicity for Laurel?

So Felicity gets kidnapped for real and that's the cliffhanger?

Then all the Lances Burn! No Mercy!

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 2

After this scene, they shot a scene of the couple leaving and getting into a limo.

Going anywhere in a limo in this show is just asking for trouble.  At least last time all it did was bring Oliver back to Star City so his "friends" could give him 'tude.   

• Love 1

Okay, I had this S4 fic idea that I'm never going to write where Felicity would be in a van/limo/something, where Oliver thought she was safe, and then the vehicle would explode and he'd think she was dead but really she was just kidnapped. I could totally see a variation on that happening here, where they get in the limo, then Oliver has to get out for some reason and DD drives off with Felicity, cue production card, begin hiatus.

• Love 1

I'm sure the proposal will end up being a big scene/production for Oliver but I had actually hoped that it would be a quieter scene with just the two of them. Then everyone else finds out. Almost like the proposal scene in Bride Wars with Anne Hathaway and Chris Pratt. That has to be one of my favorite proposals in a movie because it's so true, he does it in a quiet moment and saysif all they ever do is eat Chinese and watch TV for the rest of their lives, he'd be happy.

Maybe I'll just need to write a fanfic!

Unless he's overcome by her support/love/awesomeness at a campaign rally that he just can't hold back and proposes in front of everyone. That I could get behind :) I wonder if there are deleted scenes of SA doing the 4x01 desert proposal, before they are interrupted.

• Love 1

I'm sure the proposal will end up being a big scene/production for Oliver but I had actually hoped that it would be a quieter scene with just the two of them. Then everyone else finds out. Almost like the proposal scene in Bride Wars with Anne Hathaway and Chris Pratt. That has to be one of my favorite proposals in a movie because it's so true, he does it in a quiet moment and saysif all they ever do is eat Chinese and watch TV for the rest of their lives, he'd be happy.

LOL ironically it's their relationship that falls apart :p no but I agree. I'd much prefer it to be a quiet moment when they're home

"WE HAD A DEAL"

I'm guessing this proposal was a part of a plan to suss Dd out and quentin was part of said plan. But Dd threatens laurel and Quentin trades Felicity for Laurel?

That is so terrible and dumb and trope-y, and I AM HERE FOR ALL OF IT! 

• Love 3

UH, IF IT GOES DOWN LIKE THAT AT ALL HE CAN FOR REAL JUST FUCKING DIE

Quentin is on his pre-death redemption tour right now.  No way it will happen like that.

Also, I think it is the real proposal, but a run-through.  Thus why so fast.  It's not as if a proposal scene is unexpected.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 1

Are you talking about this scene? Because literally all Felicity says about Ray is that she has a recording that he made for her right before he died and that she didn't want to listen to it and feel that grief again. Then she muses that apart from the side effects, isn't the LP kind of nice because you don't have to live through the pain of saying goodbye to someone? Then Oliver talks about his parents and Tommy, and how he'd do anything to have another minute with them, but the LP doesn't heal anyone's pain, it makes it worse.

And it seems like Felicity figures out Ray's alive in 4x06, so I don't think you have to worry about any of that.

Thanks! Sorry my knee-jerk reaction when it comes to RP is that they always over do it and have no perspective when it comes to him. If that is all it is, then that works for me. Like I said I didn't watch the scene. I was just going off of hearing how they have a couch conversation comparing all the people they all lost. And my head just went to a dark place where the writer are trying to sell me on how amazing RP is even in death. Like when they told me all his stalker tendencies were just him being romantic.

"WE HAD A DEAL"

That line can also be OQ to DD, from some spoilers & interviews we know that soon OQ will have something on DD (his family/daughter), which means that they might had some type of deal until DD takes Felicity 

The only reason I can handwave Thea is that she was trained by BSC Malcolm Merlyn, who probably had her training 6 days a week, 10 hours a day.  Laurel....pffft

And performance enhancing mind-warping drugs. Those probably helped too. Plus on Thea's first lesson burning water was poured over her hand until she could take it. Wildcat gave LL a brochure.

• Love 12

Twitter's going crazy with theories right now, including coming up with all kinds of convoluted plots that could result in Laurel being in the grave.  People, it ain't Laurel.  It would be awesome, and shocking, and it's not going to happen.  If it's a fake death, it's Felicity, if it's a really real death, it's Quentin.

• Love 5

Yeah, more screen time =/=  being treated as the hero or even anti-hero of his own damn show. He's not Walter White for pete's sake. It's ridiculous how they've beaten him down.

At least Walter White got some respect. And inspired fear...

damn-right.gif

• Love 1

Twitter's going crazy with theories right now, including coming up with all kinds of convoluted plots that could result in Laurel being in the grave.  People, it ain't Laurel.  It would be awesome, and shocking, and it's not going to happen.  If it's a fake death, it's Felicity, if it's a really real death, it's Quentin.

I already know what my first post will be the night she dies and since it's Spoiler Day I will share it.

"DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES?!"

• Love 17

I already know what my first post will be the night she dies and since it's Spoiler Day I will share it.

I'd probably go buy a LOT of Powerball tickets.

But it's not going to happen.  It SHOULD, but it won't.  (I'd also be happy with Quentin dying and Laurel leaving town, but she ain't leaving town, either.)

• Love 1

That is not a real proposal. I'm not even sure you can say will you marry me in 21 secs.... I do wonder if it was a quick rehearsal, a trick, it also looked edited or just something to throw us off. Either way... I'm holding out for the actual real scene before I judge. They could possibly already be engaged at this point and the production crew is having some fun with the fans & paps.

Okay, I had this S4 fic idea that I'm never going to write where Felicity would be in a van/limo/something, where Oliver thought she was safe, and then the vehicle would explode and he'd think she was dead but really she was just kidnapped. I could totally see a variation on that happening here, where they get in the limo, then Oliver has to get out for some reason and DD drives off with Felicity, cue production card, begin hiatus.

Ill do you one better: when he drives off with Felicity Oliver screams her name, begin hiatus

If she dies my post will be like: G@$##$@#! I'm fucking done! I'm talking if Felicity dies Edited by jay741982
  • Love 1

UGH. I hate so much what I've read about Laurel in this episode. In show, I loathe LL and wish so much that she's in that grave. I've never missed watching an episode of Arrow live, but I don't want to see LL get away with everything. Also, I feel like her arc has undermined Oliver's heroism in a huge way for me. Thea and Sara suffered. LL never took responsibility for her selfishness. I can't buy redemption if the person being redeemed isn't contrite. LL should be punished for being the reason a team member was almost killed. She should be punished for unleashing a weapon (Sara) on Star(ling) City that killed people. Her "friendship" with Oliver should mean nothing when she has been every bit as criminal as the old VotW, except her crime spree lasted multiple eps! Ugh.

I know that forgiveness is important and that a hero like GA isn't black and white. Last season, Oliver's stupid decisions cost him big time and were highlighted as being stupid. There was a purpose for his growth toward being a better hero. This...nonsense....makes Oliver a doormat so that a reprehensible, selfish character who has NOTHING to do with his story anymore and who has perfected an unpleasant demeanor even in the most innocuous scenarios can get back on track. WHY?!?

• Love 16

I'm curious about why she kneels in front of him.

That's the part I like the best about this video. She doesn't want him below her (expect in very non-platonic circumstancces), they're equals.

I'm falling on the side of this is a real proposal, but only rehearsal that they're showing. It goes by too quickly for anything else. And as has been mentioned, Oliver does it on a spur of the moment, not being able to contain himself any longer. It would also explain the lack of ring. He left it in his Arrow suit.

Edited by bijoux
  • Love 3

The guy who uploaded it said he would upload it when his blog post reached 15,000 views. He posted about having this video already last week. And he's not an enthusiastic Olicity fan at all - he even acknowledges himself he's a bit of an a-hole - so I don't think there was any plan to it. At least not from his side. :)

I hate that he posted because the post hit the view number he wanted. The guy is vile to EBR, abusive to fans that disagree with him, and no better than paparazzi trash. I'd have rather waited for the episode to air rather than give him the satisfaction of a page hit.

• Love 1

I am betting Andy Diggle is still alive (or rather semi alive as a Ghost soldier). Damien Darkh was deleting all the info on his ghosts and Andy is one of them and Damien was lying about that part. And I have a hunch that the code that was used to erase the names may have been made by Ray Palmer (even if he is small) who is being kept in captivity by Damien.

• Love 1

All I could do watching the proposal video was laughing thinking that must have caused an aneurysm to canadagraph. Because I'm a bad person.

I agree that they were reharsing, too quick. And hope it was staged, haha

• Love 2

I go to bed early, and Oliver proposes. Typical Oliver.

Also, yeah, Felicity's getting kidnapped [but I like the idea that the entire kidnap is a plan that maybe goes wrong?], and I'm sort of thinking we'll get another grave flash-forward. "3 months later." They'll cut from the ring on Felicity's finger to the headstone. I swear I said that as a joke a few weeks ago, but now I'm kinda not kidding.

LOL this show.

• Love 1

For once I wish I hadn't seen this spoiler. Isn't the guy afraid of getting in trouble? Also if the proposal happens this early then surely something will happen to Felicity.

The main reason why I hate the death thing is that I feel on edge everytime they drop a hint that it might be Felicity because I feel as they are obviously doing it on purpose. They want you to believe it is person x or person y through certain dialogue/setting or actions. I still don't want to believe it is Felicity but Lance. Even though they always kill the superior Lances, I'd pick Felicity over QL every single day. 

The main reason why I hate the death thing is that I feel on edge everytime they drop a hint that it might be Felicity because I feel as they are obviously doing it on purpose.

Yup. Pretty certain that's scripted, and that's exactly how they want you to feel. The only character that can cause this kind of collective freaking the fuck out is Felicity, so they'll hint at that for kicks. And buzz.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 8

I kinda like this flash forward to the grave thing.Mostly because I'm sure its not anyone I care about in that grave and that we're most likely getting rid of a Lance.So the more they hint at Felicity the more it means its not her IMO.I also think arrow really needs a death that will stick to raise the stakes and make death matter on the show again.

• Love 5

Regarding Mitovich and his comments about the show addressing viewers gripes, what kind of gripes is he referring to? Because if it did, I must have not caught it. 

Gripes viewers have with Laurel. I think the point Mitovich was trying to make is that this episode was the show trying to "fix" Laurel [agreed -- it totally was], and that the viewers who have those gripes with Laurel should give the show this chance to make her happen [to which I only can say: LOLNO].

If I can disclaimer something here -- I've never in my life met an entertainment journalist who knew and cared for a TV show more than fandom. They tend to accept the show as is -- meaning, if it turns out that this episode ends up being the turning point for Laurel, and that this Hail Mary actually works? Most journos will accept that with very little questions asked.

• Love 3

For the proposal, I think the Political Strategists tells Oliver and Felicity that a married Mayor has a better chance at winning than a single one. That's how it works in real life, although why they are doing all this when it looks like Oliver is running unopposed makes no sense. No one else wants the job, you'd think the people would just vote for him because there is no one else. 

With the grave, the only way Felicity is dying is if EBR wants to leave. I can't believe they are desperate enough for a shock that they'd kill of their media darling. Felicity is safe for that reason. I'm sure they'll do the red herrings that will convince no one that she's the death while thinking they are clever. It's most likely Lance sacrificing himself for Team Arrow or Laurel (because that's what everyone does for Laurel). 

As for me, I'll just be happy when Sara goes off to LoT pretty much taking her Black Canary role even further by having her own separate team of heroes. Doesn't matter what color her outfit is, she is comic Black Canary to me.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 7

Gripes viewers have with Laurel. I think the point Mitovich was trying to make is that this episode was the show trying to "fix" Laurel [agreed -- it totally was], and that the viewers who have those gripes with Laurel should give the show this chance to make her happen [to which I only can say: LOLNO].

If I can disclaimer something here -- I've never in my life met an entertainment journalist who knew and cared for a TV show more than fandom. They tend to accept the show as is -- meaning, if it turns out that this episode ends up being the turning point for Laurel, and that this Hail Mary actually works? Most journos will accept that with very little questions asked.

Oh, sure, it was. I thought he meant that the show was addressing specific issues the audience has with her, like her paying no consequences, or being self-righteous etc., which I don't think it did. It was more a 'paint her as a martyr' thing.

Not sure I got your last paragraph. Do you mean Mitovich does care more than fandom, compared to other journalists, or that he is not invested as we are so as long as Laurel will be better he won't mind what happened before?

Not sure I got your last paragraph. Do you mean Mitovich does care more than fandom, compared to other journalists, or that he is not invested as we are so as long as Laurel will be better he won't mind what happened before?

He's not as invested as we are. My guess is that not only him, but every journo that covers Arrow will realize that this is an attempt to rehabilitate Laurel as a character. And if it works moving forward? They will accept it. That's how entertainment media rolls. Whereas fandom tends to reject this kind of thing.

He's not as invested as we are. My guess is that not only him, but every journo that covers Arrow will realize that this is an attempt to rehabilitate Laurel as a character. And if it works moving forward? They will accept it. That's how entertainment media rolls. Whereas fandom tends to reject this kind of thing.

Gotcha :) and I agree, they won't mind. 

I *think* it was Matt Mitovich, but it could've been someone else from an entertainment site I look at, who basically thought that audience perception of a character should be an episode-to-episode thing.

• Love 1

I *think* it was Matt Mitovich, but it could've been someone else from an entertainment site I look at, who basically thought that audience perception of a character should be an episode-to-episode thing.

Yeah, I've seen that kind of thinking before. It makes no sense to me if it's a heavily serialized show [like Arrow], but it probably works for someone who has to watch 50 episodes of tv each week for a living?

I do think if the pro reviewers end up mellowing about Laurel in this episode -- especially after last week's brutal take, when almost all pros took her to the mat something harsh -- TPBP will consider this a success.

• Love 4

I do not believe that show will ever give us a world in which LL will face consequences. I and others may want it, but its not going to happen. Teflon Laurel is going to stay. They have had LL do bad things in every season and she never faces the consequences. Every other character faces consequences when they do something bad, but not Teflon LL. So do I believe that the show is trying to rehabilitate the character in this episode? From all I've read it looks like it. But they will never rehabilitate her in a way that I will probably want, which would be for her to actually face some consequences - especially for how she handled SL's resurrection.

I don't feel the show needs to make me like LL. That ship sailed somewhere in the middle of s2 and definitely was lost at sea for most of s3&4. But they have to give me reason why she is still on the screen. Literally, there is no reason for her to still be in OQs life. If this upcoming episode at least makes an attempt to repair a friendship and give her at least a valid reason to be hanging around TA (never mind part of it) than I can see why the journalists are saying it addresses some issues with the character. It doesn't resolve her issues. But at least we can hope for a valid reason why she's not dead or off the show yet. And I hope this new dimension will at least give KC the acting license to do more than arm-crossing & RBF.

I will probably never like her character anymore. She crossed too many lines. And honestly has become burdensome to watch with her crap script & mediocre acting. So until the show wises up and cuts there losses via casket or ticket, I want them to at least give me a character that provides something to the show. OQ needs friends, so if that has to be her role at least its something. Maybe KC will actually smile in an episode. I still want Tommy back or I would even take back the suburban Crock-pot couple. But the show won't let me have nice things for OQ, that's how it rolls. So I'll take the hit like OQ and continue to soldier on hoping for that big reveal in 6 months to finally goes my way.

• Love 10

Yeah, I've seen that kind of thinking before. It makes no sense to me if it's a heavily serialized show [like Arrow], but it probably works for someone who has to watch 50 episodes of tv each week for a living?

I do think if the pro reviewers end up mellowing about Laurel in this episode -- especially after last week's brutal take, when almost all pros took her to the mat something harsh -- TPBP will consider this a success.

The show did this exact same thing with Laurel in "Canaries" last season, and it worked-- lampshading all the issues viewers have with her, then have other characters promptly ignore them and accept her. It's like, if the show doesn't see her actions as wrong, then there's no point in the audience making a fuss out of it, because the show considers those issues resolved. Suddenly all the criticism from reviewers about Laurel taking Sara's identity and lying to her father just went away, because everyone was just relieved the awfulness was over. It's like the show waved a hand in front of the audience's face and said "You don't need to see Laurel suffer the consequences for the awful things she did. This isn't the story you're looking for. Move along."

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 4

The show did this exact same thing with Laurel in "Canaries" last season, and it worked-- lampshading all the issues viewers have with her, then have other characters promptly ignore them and accept her. It's like, if the show doesn't see her actions as wrong, then there's no point in the audience making a fuss out of it, because the show considers those issues resolved. Suddenly all the criticism from reviewers about Laurel taking Sara's identity and lying to her father just went away, because everyone was just relieved the awfulness was over. It's like the show waved a hand in front of the audience's face and said "You don't need to see Laurel suffer the consequences for the awful things she did. This isn't the story you're looking for. Move along."

Yup. This is exactly it.

And because Laurel is such a poorly constructed character, with almost no clear motivation to do anything, I have a feeling from TPTB that they think Laurel suffers consequences for her actions. It's just that 1. those consequences tend to be worse for other people, like Tommy dying, and 2. the consequences don't have long-lasting effects for Laurel. I'm pretty certain the scene when Laurel considered shooting Sara was her consequence in this entire arc. That single moment was supposed to be her comeuppance.

And this is where the cognitive dissonance the character causes comes from -- because most times it looks like she's being rewarded for doing shitty stuff -- blackmailing turns into getting her job back, digging a grave turns into getting he sister back, and so on and so forth.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 14

And I hope this new dimension will at least give KC the acting license to do more than arm-crossing & RBF.

She did a lot arm crossing in the latest episode. I don't think that will go away that seems like the actress's thing, not a character thing. 

They did repair everything Laurel by pushing it under the rug and having everyone be happy. But like everything else with the character they just put a band aid over it and expect it to be all better now. Oliver accepts Laurel so the audience should accept Laurel now and pretend she hasn't been acting like a delusional loon for the past few episodes.  

Oliver and Laurel made up and are friends but their younger siblings want to kill everyone. YAY!!! Let's give Laurel her 5000th chance to be liked by the audience by watching Sara and Thea suffer from a decision she made. Made better by the victims in all of this telling Laurel she's absolved of her decision and doesn't have anything to apologize for. She'll probably get the your a true hero speech for it, so her ego can grow even bigger from having done nothing. 

• Love 7

She did a lot arm crossing in the latest episode. I don't think that will go away that seems like the actress's thing, not a character thing. 

Perhaps I'm hoping too much, but now that she is friends with OQ maybe she'll learn to put her hand on her hip or put her hands in her pocket. I also think that KC might just be a prop actor. Meaning she does her best acting with props in her hands. If that is the case perhaps she needs to have more files to carry or a briefcase to hold. Some people do not know what to do with their hands, so maybe she could talk to the props dept and get some stuff to hold.

I've also noticed other weird acting quirks that are starting to bother me. WH tends to extends her leg, points her toe and pushes it into the ground when she is having a poignant (often angry) conversation with someone. And SA hyperextends his fingers, esp his pinky fingers a lot during key moments. Maybe as a friends activity in show they can all take a body gestures class as part of the campaign prep. Kill two birds with one stone - we write them a trio scene that a portion of the audience is craving per MG's tumblr and we can get them to stop making those irritating gestures on a regular basis.

So KC is not along on my watchlist of hoping that some of the actors' habitual gestures will go away. KC just gets a lot more complaints about it because her actions are non-congruent with most scenes. Arms crossed & RBF are her go-tos regardless of the expected emotion of the scene.

Such a bizarre thing to do, to write her the very worst she's ever been with the idea you'll fix her right after.  Why not a more gradual improvement, without taking her so low to start?

People have short memories,, so it could work, but like discussing Canaries having fixed her...if it did, why'd they have to fix her again?  I would argue they "fixed" her in 2.14, when she came to Sara in the bar...but they had to fix her again.  I mean, if the fix works, why do they have to keep doing it?

I also don't believe KC can pull it off.  She was absolutely terrible in 4.3 and 4.4.  She has two actual facial expressions: rage and a perfectly nice, if often inappropriate, smile.  Then blankness, which I don't count as an actual expression.  This is not new information.  I also agree that the writers are simply not interested in writing her.  So no, I don't believe this "fix" will be any more successful than the last several.

• Love 8

I think the Canaries fix worked for the most part. As for fixing her again, I'm guessing that's because she acted like a loon during the whole resurrection storyline. 

But that is it, she acted like a loon because they wrote her like a loon.  They've ALWAYS written her terribly.  Why the optimism that that will change?

But that is it, she acted like a loon because they wrote her like a loon.  They've ALWAYS written her terribly.  Why the optimism that that will change?

I personally don't think that will ever change, but I thought your comment was a part of our discussion about audience interpretation going from episode to episode. In the past writing her as terrible and then turning it around with one good ep has worked (generally speaking), so why wouldn't they keep doing it?

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 1

I don't think anything will change for me -- or for most people at this forum, actually -- but I can see how this one episode can be welcomed by pro critics who just want Laurel to work as a character in a bare minimum, and by the general audience at large, who doesn't care enough to analyze in depth.

Imo, this episode was supposed to fix WHY EVEN is Oliver still talking to Laurel, more than Laurel herself. By the end of the ep, she's stripped off the crazy angst she created in the first place [because Sara is all right], but it's Oliver's reaction to it that matters. Because he's deciding to be magnanimous, and let bygones be bygones, and forgive/forget this mess Laurel created. Because Thea asked him to. Because he's lost so many people already. Because he's happy and in love and has been trying to fix every relationship in his life in the past month. Because the writers need to give at least one thread of link to Laurel within Oliver's life/journey, because she hasn't had one pretty much since the S1 finale.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 16

I think they have a found a formula for Laurel. Have Laurel be really really stupid, then have Sara (in one form or another) kick her ass, have someone call her out and then have everyone accept her. I think it will probably be more successful this time around, because Sara is back and Oliver is friendly to her. How long it lasts...I'm not sure. It depends on where they take her. I think if they work on have her being a better daughter and give her the Roy treatment in the Lair, the positive reception could stick around for awhile. When I say positive reception though, I mean for people who like her, tolerate her, or want to like her. Fans who are just done with her are just done with her. 

One thing I do think they should have done, is give her a love interest instead of Thea. Give her funny secret identity hi-jinxs when she tries to re-enter the dating world. Have her ask what she should wear over the comms so Felicity and Thea could give her advice. Have Laurel and Thea and Felicity go speed dating (Felicity for the entertainment factor). I FF thru Laurel-scenes and I would watch that.

Oh and never never ever mention she and Oliver used to be a thing again. Pretend they were just friends and they never dated. When the kid comes into play, have her roll her eyes at Oliver and leave it at that. 

• Love 4

I was annoyed by how Laurel got away with no consequences again but I was glad that this time they didn't use characters like Felicity or Diggle to excuse her actions or defend her to Oliver.I'm also glad that Oliver didn't let her act like what he did with Thea is the same as what she did with Sara and the show made it clear that there is a big difference.I got the sense from Oliver thay he really is in a good place in his life so he didn't want more drama with Laurel.He seemed more concerned about helping Sara since Laurel already put her in the pit and all the damage was done while Laurel was making it all about herself.So I get why he would try to be better friends with her by the end since he has changed.

It was hilarious to me how he was totally ready to stay away from her after Alex told him it would be good for his campaign.It took Thea convincing him not to do it and she showed more emotion about it than he did.That's how relevant Laurel is to his life at this point.

I don't think Oliver has any reason to be friends with Laurel other than they have history which isn't a good reason at all since most of it was toxic.This was clearly a way to give some kind of reason for why Laurel is still in his life and on the show.IMO its not good enough because she still doesn't contribute anything to his story.

• Love 13