Type keyword(s) to search

Dean Winchester: aka Squirrel

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Pondlass1 said:

I really don't know what they're going to have Michael do?  He's learning about our world, feeling his way.  But I don't want - this is a cell phone, ooh traffic lights, or anything like that.   I just wish I had faith in TPTB.  I'm looking forward with excited anticipation and dread.

The apocalypse AU was exactly the same as our original's until about 8 years ago. Michael has got to be familiar with most of the modern world already, let's hope! We already have Cas and Jack for the woobie fish-out-of-water stuff.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, BabySpinach said:

We already have Cas and Jack for the woobie fish-out-of-water stuff.

I know.  It's a trope that's been done to death.  I guess I didn't realize the AU world enjoyed all mod con's before the apocalypse.

I really don't get what's so attractive about apocalypses (apocali?) or why gods and angels or whoever are so keen to start them??

But looking forward to more than a fleeting appearance of Michael/Dean.  And Jensen seems enthusiastic.  And I'm positive there will be no more dangling marionette exchanges. 

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

It makes me a little nervous seeing how almost-insecure he is about his first episode as Mean (don't judge it too harshly!). No doubt he doesn't have a great script to work with and he's trying to layer Mean, so I hope he doesn't overreach - because you know all eyes are going to be on him and picking it apart. Hopefully the director and editor(s) are kinder to him than they were in 13x23.

From all I've seen of him, this is not unusual at all. He's usually very humble and self-deprecating about his craft and often credits others before he'd ever credit himself for anything in that regard.

In this very interview, he even gave the writers a "nice pat on the back" for giving him something that he could really sink his teeth into as an actor in the 14th season of this show-something no few in the fandom have felt is long overdue-longevity-wise, at least.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

It makes me a little nervous seeing how almost-insecure he is about his first episode as Mean (don't judge it too harshly!). No doubt he doesn't have a great script to work with and he's trying to layer Mean, so I hope he doesn't overreach - because you know all eyes are going to be on him and picking it apart. Hopefully the director and editor(s) are kinder to him than they were in 13x23.

I think he's being a bit humble and a little superstitious.  Or he's already falling on the sword for things that might not be that well received by the audience.

I dunno. I got a different vibe from that interview.  When he says "surprised"...maybe it's the opposite of good surprise and it's a bad surprise in that it lasts one ep and is less than he hoped for.  Jensen is a master spin doctor.  I just think back to the whole demon!Dean thing when he sat there at comic con and there was no indication demon!Dean would be dunzo after 3 eps.

2 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I think he's being a bit humble and a little superstitious.  Or he's already falling on the sword for things that might not be that well received by the audience.

I dunno. I got a different vibe from that interview.  When he says "surprised"...maybe it's the opposite of good surprise and it's a bad surprise in that it lasts one ep and is less than he hoped for.  Jensen is a master spin doctor.  I just think back to the whole demon!Dean thing when he sat there at comic con and there was no indication demon!Dean would be dunzo after 3 eps.

I go back and forth. My faith in Dabb & Singer is nil, but I got a good vibe from the interview. Not just the 'surprised' part, but that he talked about layering the character and hoping for time to develop it. I am (very) cautiously optimistic.

• Love 1

Well, one thing is clear: he is at least IN the first episode. Baby steps.

But kidding aside, I`m cautiously optimistic as well. Jensen isn`t usually one to troll in a mean-spirited way. If it was short, I think he would have answered tactfully but differently.

• Love 2

I do have mixed feelings over Jensen saying he was surprised.  He did say that he didn't know but was surprised when they told him.

The cynical part of me, what Dabb and company told him was "longer than 3 episodes"   Which could end up meaning four. 

But Jensen seems excited and he's making me excited.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I go back and forth. My faith in Dabb & Singer is nil, but I got a good vibe from the interview. Not just the 'surprised' part, but that he talked about layering the character and hoping for time to develop it. I am (very) cautiously optimistic.

Me too-very cautiously indeed because we might all be feeling very differently as soon as tomorrow after we hear from Dabb and Singer et al in the panel and from the round table stuff.

• Love 2

Was just watching OTHOAP and omg was Jensen mesmerising in this ep. every scene I couldn’t take my eyes off him. The scenes between Alistair and dean, the chemistry between the actors was off the charts        (so noticeably absent between lucifer and sam). I would have loved it if they had explored their relationship more. The one line that really got my attention was that dean had not disappointed Alistair yet. I wonder how often dean had dreamed about hearing those words from people who supposedly loved him.

• Love 7
33 minutes ago, devlin said:

Was just watching OTHOAP and omg was Jensen mesmerising in this ep. every scene I couldn’t take my eyes off him. The scenes between Alistair and dean, the chemistry between the actors was off the charts        (so noticeably absent between lucifer and sam). I would have loved it if they had explored their relationship more. The one line that really got my attention was that dean had not disappointed Alistair yet. I wonder how often dean had dreamed about hearing those words from people who supposedly loved him.

I didn't like this episode but I agree that they should have explored his history with Alistair more than they did. It would have gone a long way to explain how deep Dean's hell trauma went. Overall Dean's time in hell should have been touched on more during season 4 and I'm still disappointed that they didn't.

• Love 8
23 hours ago, ILoveReading said:

Hiatus challenge.  Find a pic that symbolizes Dean.

I need to think about this. 

I'd have to go with two, but I don't know how to do anything with pictures on-line, but I'm sure if I describe them, you all will know them because they've  been around for a very long time and have, IMO, become iconic for not just Dean, but for the show, too.

The first is that pic of Dean's blood-spattered face-half in dark and half in light right after he beheaded the vamp in Bloodlust and the second is from that same episode-the last shot-the "halo" shot that Singer(the director of that one-and yes, he used to be a decent director, IMO-go figure) called a "Happy Accident".

Honorable mentions to that altogether awesome shot of Dean coming out of that ink-black background and into the light, right after he had killed the djinn and right before he found the girl in WIAWSNB and to the shot of Dean coming out of the water with Lucas in his arms and his reaction right before they cut the scene in Dead in the Water.

And one more recent one-the shot after he killed all the baddies while carrying the MOC in The Things They Left Behind.

All of these shots are basically why I'm still watching this show. Hope springs eternal that we might possibly get more like this in S14 via the Mean storyline.

18 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

Okay here goes.  I love this one...but I kind of like the dark side of Dean.

DarkDean owns my soul.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Myrelle said:

I'd have to go with two, but I don't know how to do anything with pictures on-line, but I'm sure if I describe them, you all will know them because they've  been around for a very long time and have, IMO, become iconic for not just Dean, but for the show, too.

The first is that pic of Dean's blood-spattered face-half in dark and half in light right after he beheaded the vamp in Bloodlust and the second is from that same episode-the last shot-the "halo" shot that Singer(the director of that one-and yes, he used to be a decent director, IMO-go figure) called a "Happy Accident".

Honorable mentions to that altogether awesome shot of Dean coming out of that ink-black background and into the light, right after he had killed the djinn and right before he found the girl in WIAWSNB and to the shot of Dean coming out of the water with Lucas in his arms and his reaction right before they cut the scene in Dead in the Water.

And one more recent one-the shot after he killed all the baddies while carrying the MOC in The Things They Left Behind.

All of these shots are basically why I'm still watching this show. Hope springs eternal that we might possibly get more like this in S14 via the Mean storyline.

DarkDean owns my soul.

tumblr_o5pfuj5ABY1rirqe7o1_500.gif

giphy.gif

• Love 4

I thought that these were interesting comments on Zanna and the fact that Dean needed one just as much as Sam did. I have to say that Just My Imagination has its amusing parts but overall I didn't like underlying message of Dean not stepping up enough for Sam that I took away after watching. I especially Hunenka's head canon of Benny being Dean's Zanna:

https://thejabberwock.tumblr.com/post/177181535192/hi-i-love-your-blog-i-dont-know-if-you-talked

Edited by DeeDee79
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, DeeDee79 said:

I thought that these were interesting comments on Zanna and the fact that Dean needed one just as much as Sam did. I have to say that Just My Imagination has its amusing parts but overall I didn't like underlying message of Dean not stepping up enough for Sam that I took away after watching. I especially Hunenka's head canon of Benny being Dean's Zanna:

https://thejabberwock.tumblr.com/post/177181535192/hi-i-love-your-blog-i-dont-know-if-you-talked

That was interesting. Did you notice that at the bottom there is a link to Jensen (at JIBcon) basically saying the same thing? Not about Benny, but about why Dean didn't have a Zanna. *sob* I don't recall seeing this before. It starts about 3 minutes in. Link.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

That was interesting. Did you notice that at the bottom there is a link to Jensen (at JIBcon) basically saying the same thing? Not about Benny, but about why Dean didn't have a Zanna. *sob* I don't recall seeing this before. It starts about 3 minutes in. Link.

Thanks for the link! It would have been nice if it had been addressed in the episode why Dean didn’t have a Zanna. Even a throwaway line about Dean being approached and not being able to see them because he no longer had the mentality of a child would have been interesting IMO.

• Love 4

I've been really ill for a couple of days and listening to a lot of music to take my mind off my stomach and never realized that "Sober" was TOOL and, and man, what a great song this would have been to use for MoC!Dean.  Just perfect. I'm betting there is a fan video out there with it. I'm gonna take a look in between my bouts of nausea and vomiting. Yay.

25 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I've been really ill for a couple of days and listening to a lot of music to take my mind off my stomach and never realized that "Sober" was TOOL and, and man, what a great song this would have been to use for MoC!Dean.  Just perfect. I'm betting there is a fan video out there with it. I'm gonna take a look in between my bouts of nausea and vomiting. Yay.

Ugh, sorry about the belly. Help me though - what is TOOL?

1 minute ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Ugh, sorry about the belly. Help me though - what is TOOL?

TOOL is a band.  They wrote a song called "Sober".  Sorry, I blame my lack of clarity on my barfing and loss of fluids. LOL

Here is the music video for the song. It's pretty heavy. 

1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

TOOL is a band.  They wrote a song called "Sober".  Sorry, I blame my lack of clarity on my barfing and loss of fluids. LOL

Here is the music video for the song. It's pretty heavy. 

Ha! Okay, good. I was trying to figure out an acronym and those letters could be so many things! Gotta say that's not the kind of music that would make me feel better, lol. I can see the MoC connection though.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Gotta say that's not the kind of music that would make me feel better, lol.

LOL. It's not that it makes me feel better, I just kind fell down a rabbit hole of listening to random things and this popped up.  Sometimes progressive metal clears my head.  I don't know why LOL

• Love 1
2 hours ago, devlin said:

Do you ever find yourself watching an episode and only to be taken out of the story completely when you find yourself mesmerised by Jensen’s eyelashes? Or is it just me?

Don’t worry; it’s not just you!

• Love 1
20 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I spent far too much time with that tumblr yesterday :)

HA! Same!!

Dean is the Ultimate Badass on this show-when he's allowed to fulfill that role, that is(still angry over the non-spoilers we've gotten for the character all summer long; and yesterday was the topper-so I need this thread desperately right now).

4 hours ago, devlin said:

Do you ever find yourself watching an episode and only to be taken out of the story completely when you find yourself mesmerised by Jensen’s eyelashes? Or is it just me?

Eyelashes, face, shoulders, arms, legs, derriere, BACK!!, etc and also...BODY LANGUAGE!! 

I find myself mesmerized by Jensen's Everything all the time, tbh. ;-D

16 hours ago, FlickChick said:

That man is beyond gorgeous.

I love the way he's holding himself in that most recent fishing pic. The scenery's got nothin' on that man...Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Myrelle said:

I love the way he's holding himself in that most recent fishing pic. The scenery's got nothin' on that man...Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

To me it totally looks like Dean not Jensen. His body language says, take that bait b****, I dare you. LOL!

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

To me it totally looks like Dean not Jensen. His body language says, take that bait b****, I dare you. LOL!

Weirdly, I think he was too erect meaning his shoulders are further back than Dean usually carries himself, and I thought...is that Michael!Dean fishing?

20 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Weirdly, I think he was too erect meaning his shoulders are further back than Dean usually carries himself, and I thought...is that Michael!Dean fishing?

But Dean isn't hunched when he's doing something challenging, and that doesn't look like relaxed sitting on the dock fishing. I guess that's why he's endlessly fascinating, we all see something different.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

But Dean isn't hunched when he's doing something challenging, and that doesn't look like relaxed sitting on the dock fishing. I guess that's why he's endlessly fascinating, we all see something different.

IMO, Dean always has a slight hunch even when he's doing active stuff IMO. It's like a protective thing even when he's in a fight. I'm not seeing that here. And of course, in that pic, he is standing on the edge of a rock so he's probably making sure he's keeping his balance. It's probably not in character at all LOL.

I loved that he was on the edge of the rock and looked very relaxed and resolute there; not even a little uncertain about falling-not at all. He was standing very upright and tall there on that precipice, like he was accustomed to it and always has been.

I wish that it was for a storyboard reason.

Spoiler

I mean one of the episodes coming down the pipe is titled Nihilism. If that's not Dean-related, at this point in the story, then I don't know what is.

Edited by Myrelle
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

LOL, oh Dean (Jensen) you inspire debate even amongst those who love you. What a gift. :)

I honestly think that Jensen and his acting skillset is the core problem here. He's always brought so much more to this show via his portrayal of Dean than the writers could have ever even imagined.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Myrelle said:

I honestly think that Jensen and his acting skillset is the core problem here. He's always brought so much more to this show via his portrayal of Dean than the writers could have ever even imagined.

So true, so true. And with this group, they have absolutely no idea how to write for him.  Also, they apparently have no interest in writing for him either - as I've witnessed in the last couple of seasons. (I'm spoiler free)

• Love 5

I just watched 'Jump the Shark'.  The expressions on Dean's face when he learns John took Adam to a baseball game on his birthday are gut wrenching.  And as he sneaks glances at those framed photos of his dad and the other son. It's bloody heartbreaking.   

The ability to tap into the emotions of your character is the foundation of great acting.  And the ability to  convey those emotions to your audiences is pure acting gold.  Jensen literally becomes Dean when they yell Action!.  He is Dean. He has lived Dean's life.

If only more actors were as talented as Jensen, I'd watch more tv dramas.  I just can't take the fake overblown acting on TV these days.

I hope Jensen gets his Emmy one day.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Pondlass1 said:

I just watched 'Jump the Shark'.  The expressions on Dean's face when he learns John took Adam to a baseball game on his birthday are gut wrenching.  And as he sneaks glances at those framed photos of his dad and the other son. It's bloody heartbreaking.   

The ability to tap into the emotions of your character is the foundation of great acting.  And the ability to  convey those emotions to your audiences is pure acting gold.  Jensen literally becomes Dean when they yell Action!.  He is Dean. He has lived Dean's life.

If only more actors were as talented as Jensen, I'd watch more tv dramas.  I just can't take the fake overblown acting on TV these days.

I hope Jensen gets his Emmy one day.

Amen!

I was thinking about this during the eyelash conversation above - it's all in the eyes with him. I mean yeah, he can convey so much with the crease of a brow, or the twitch in his smile. But his eyes tell the story, they make me believe he is Dean and feeling everything he feels. It also got me thinking that he is so good at it, it could be difficult as his wife (ha, yeah, right - but hear me out :)) to trust him 100% when you know how good he is at selling the story.

• Love 3

I wonder how Jensen is feeling about the handling of Michael.   He was so enthusiastic last Spring and saying he couldn't believe the storyline would last as long.  I wonder what they told him, because apparently it's 2 episodes then flashbacks then Dean hunts alongside Sam as per usual.  Michael is but a blip.  He must be feeling a bit let down.

• Love 5